Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject. Page timed out.

Comments

• Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    MikeK said:

Meeks has come to the conclusion, belatedly, that Cameron has lost it. Lost his cool, lost his argument, lost his mind, and maybe has lost some of the Remain vote, and as a consequence will lose the Referendum.

You could be talking about Meeks himself.

The thread header is interesting but it reeks of "I'm impartial and objective, not like those - insert abuse - Leavers."

The change of tack is revealing, I wonder if Remain will become more conciliatory after RACIST!!! and WAR!!!! fell flat.
  • Options

Tom Harris
    I don’t believe that someone as decent and intelligent as AJ would use such abusive language unless he was seriously worried about losing.

Laura Kuenssberg ‎@bbclaurak
    IDS tells me Remain are 'resorting to name calling' 'means they are losing the argument' after Alan Johnson said Outers held 'extreme' views

Is there something about REMAIN that induces this abusive language in some of their supporters?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited May 2016

Oh dear...

://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/status/730031637027794944

Dave tells porkies again! The two most corrupt nations in 2015 were North Korea and Somalia!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption_Perceptions_Index
    Don’t think ‘most corrupt’ entered into the conversation - just that they were corrupt.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited May 2016
    Who to believe on wages if we Brexit?
    Lord Rose = Wages up
    NIESR = Wages down.
    AFAIK NIESR have a worse record in economic forecasting, because Lord Rose has not done many.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    danny565...Madge is probably pleased she hears something other than Diplocrap..and Cammo is telling her nothing new..
  • Options

Oh dear...

Dave tells porkies again! The two most corrupt nations in 2015 were North Korea and Somalia!

Don’t think ‘most corrupt’ entered into the conversation - just that they were corrupt.
    When do Afghanistan and Nigeria appear in the Downing street grid for proREMAIN statements from foreigners?
  • Options

Tom Harris
    I don’t believe that someone as decent and intelligent as AJ would use such abusive language unless he was seriously worried about losing.

IDS tells me Remain are 'resorting to name calling' 'means they are losing the argument' after Alan Johnson said Outers held 'extreme' views

Is there something about REMAIN that induces this abusive language in some of their supporters?
    Yep, as I said the other day, we all call names when losing an argument, its human nature.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Pulpstar said:

MTimT said:

Wanna deal with the US? Then open up the health-care sector to US suppliers.

And why not, provided that it is reciprocal? Their health sector is considerably larger (10x: GDP is 5x, % of GDP spent on health is 2x) and more inefficient. UK providers should make a killing.
    GSK.l should indeed do well if the US market is properly opened up...
    About 40% of GSK revenues come from the US already, and 50% of AZ
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,730

Neil Hamilton has been elected leader of UKIP group in the Welsh Assembly

He will get 19k£ on top of the Assembly members salary (54k)

Good for him I say. He and Christine have been in the wilderness for a long time; it's good money and I trust he'll do a good job for it.
    Not as easy money as the brown envelopes.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited May 2016

Neil Hamilton has been elected leader of UKIP group in the Welsh Assembly

He will get 19k£ on top of the Assembly members salary (54k)

In brown envelopes?
    Brown is so infra dig. ;)
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Mr. Betting, there's time to change tack, the problem for Remain, in that sense, is that future comments may be seen through the prism of earlier ones.

Incidentally, it's worth noting the polls are neck-and-neck, so neither side has room for complacency.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

Tom Harris

Yep, as I said the other day, we all call names when losing an argument, its human nature.
    Is that why you told Mr Meeks he had his head up his arse this morning?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,007
    Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

MTimT said:

Wanna deal with the US? Then open up the health-care sector to US suppliers.

And why not, provided that it is reciprocal? Their health sector is considerably larger (10x: GDP is 5x, % of GDP spent on health is 2x) and more inefficient. UK providers should make a killing.
    GSK.l should indeed do well if the US market is properly opened up...
    About 40% of GSK revenues come from the US already, and 50% of AZ
    I'd have thought TTIP would still benefit them, mind... ?
  • Options
    An interesting article by Ruth Davidson describing how she increased the Tory vote in Scotland. Some lessons all parties could learn from:

http://www.conservativehome.com/thecolumnists/2016/05/ruth-davidson-how-we-did-it-and-what-we-are-going-to-do-next.html
  • Options
    midwinter said:

Tom Harris

No that was gratuitous, we weren't arguing at the time. There is a difference in saying things in temper as opposed to poking fun.

Last week when we were arguing he called me an odious cretin.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,324
    edited May 2016

Oh dear...

Turn your hearing aid up!

'Nigeria & Afghanistan, possibly the two most corrupt countries in the world.'

Prolly a good thing if Dave won't be around much longer to defend the foreign aid budget.
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-36254254

"Police who staged a mock attack featuring a bomber shouting "Allahu Akbar" have been forced to apologise for racial stereotyping."

Islam's not a race. And lots of terrorism does involve religious lunatics.

*sighs*
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    midwinter said:

Tom Harris

I still want to know who the posters are on this site that are being directed and paid by foreign governments. Mr. Meeks told us they exist so presumably he knows their identities, I do wish he would share the information with us.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,434

He did, going by that quote, say "possibly", which with Afghanistan third-worst and the list based on perception it might well be. Nigeria isn't quite that bad but it's still in the worst quintile so hardly something to boast about.
  • Options

midwinter said:

Tom Harris

No that was gratuitous, we weren't arguing at the time. There is a difference in saying things in temper as opposed to poking fun.

Perhaps he didn't realise you were arguing?
  • Options
    Mr. Llama, there's some mail in your inbox.
  • Options

midwinter said:

Tom Harris

I still want to know who the posters are on this site that are being directed and paid by foreign governments. Mr. Meeks told us they exist so presumably he knows their identities, I do wish he would share the information with us.
    I'd like to know how you get the job, I'm happy to be paid by anybody to post bollox on the internet, at the moment we all do it for free.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Mr. Llama, there's some mail in your inbox.

With a cheque?
  • Options
    midwinter said:

midwinter said:

Tom Harris

Oh right, good point
  • Options
    Mr. Nabavi, aye. It's his £20,000 from Putin as thanks for his vocal support for Leave ;)
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

MTimT said:

Good piece of analysis, Mr Meeks. It confirms my view that Cameron is a lousy negotiator and, at least as far as the EU is concerned, strategist. Being tone-deaf to the negotiating environment and the interests/values of the other parties is no way to maximize one's own outcome.

Yep ..... that's why I'm voting LEAVE. Not only did Cameron get a lousy rushed deal (if indeed one can call it a deal, given the EU's wriggle room), but he then has the temerity to try to kid us that it's a great deal, effectively treating us like fools. Well, sorry, but he's been caught out and it will finish him.
    My thoughts exactly.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited May 2016

Oh dear...

Prolly a good thing if Dave won't be around much longer to defend the foreign aid budget.
    My bad, only had the BBC's version of events which described Nigeria and Afghanistan as "fantastically corrupt" in the conversation with the Queen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36260193
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited May 2016

Oh dear...

I thought he said "possibly two OF the two most corrupt countries"

Afghanistan is 172/175 most corrupt.
    Nigeria is only 136/175.

It's a little harsh on Nigeria, but fair comment.
  • Options

Oh right, good point

So when you told me to "ffs shut up" yesterday does that mean you were on the wrong side of the argument?
  • Options
    pbr2013pbr2013 Posts: 649
    MaxPB said:

Patrick said:

I clearly agree with your view that Dave had no hope of getting a deal negotiated.
    I clearly differ from you enormously in thinking the right thing to do now is commit to being part of a United States of Europe.

Vote Leave.

Well, I don't think that the right thing to do is commit to being part of a United States of Europe. But it is certainly true that some people - over-represented here - had absurdly over-optimistic expectations of the renegotiation. There was never the slightest possibility of the EU abandoning central principles such as freedom of movement.

The same people tend to have absurdly over-optimistic views on what we could get in a negotiation with our EU friends post-Brexit, and on what we could get in free trade agreements with other countries. That's why they were so angry at Obama pointing out some basic home truths.
    Absolutely agree that anything on free movement was unachievable which is why it was maddening to see Dave waste his time on such stupidity, I mean who really cares if we give £50m per year to parents with children overseas, sure it is irksome, but it really doesn't matter that much. As I said before the migrant benefits are something that need to be addressed at Westminster by making 1-2 years worth of contributions mandatory in order to receive any kind of benefits (unemployment, housing, child and any kind of tax credit) for all people, but the government has ducked making the hard decisions and just used the EU as a scapegoat for their weakness on the issue of benefits.

Getting real protection for the City, the same opt-out of ever closer union, and a veto on military co-operation using EU structures and having it all bound by treaty obligations was all well within the realms of possibility. It would have been enough to win my vote given that everything else can be solved at Westminster.
    If the City needed protection, apart from in a military sense, then it wouldn't be the City.
  • Options
    EstobarEstobar Posts: 558
    This site is in urgent need of an overhaul.

Sorry but if I don't say it, it's just going to continue sliding away.
  • Options
    midwinter said:

Oh right, good point

So when you told me to "ffs shut up" yesterday does that mean you were on the wrong side of the argument?

No, it meant I'm sick of idiots playing the race card. I'm happy to argue with you about racism if you like.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Estobar said:

There will be a full site refresh on June 24th...

Either way.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,470

Oh dear...

Foreign aid? You mean like this?

UK aid to India (2015): £279,000,000
    UK aid to the EU, NET (2015): £8,500,000,000
  • Options

The NIESR has issued its assessment of the economic impact of Brexit:

http://www.niesr.ac.uk/media/economic-impact-leaving-eu-12503#.VzHgop1wbct

• A vote to leave the EU would represent a significant shock to the UK economy
    • In the short run, our analysis suggests it would lower GDP growth to 1.9 per cent in 2017, compared with a growth rate of 2.7 per cent in a world in which the UK voted to remain.
    • In the longer run, our analysis suggests that it would lower GDP by between 1.5 per cent and 7.8 per cent in 2030, also compared with a world in which the UK voted to remain.
    • Sterling would also depreciate in the longer-run, to close to parity with the euro by 2030.
    • By 2030, consumption would fall by between 2.4 per cent and 9.2 per cent compared to a world in which the UK remained in the EU. This translates into declines in annual consumption per capita of between £500 and £2,000 (at 2012 prices) by 2030.

Lol. 2.7% growth in 2017? The Euro even exists in 2030? Ridiculous.
  • Options
    Estobar said:

This is what you get when it's run by a bunch of Europhiles!!!

:trollface:
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Estobar said:

Either way.
    Haha! But amongst several things it needs:
    1. An editor. Someone ruthless with a good grasp of English who will cut op ed threads down to the 20% of useful words that currently inhabit them. The verbosity is staggering.
    2. Broaden the political appeal instead of this monochromatic and deathly dull repetition
    3. Humour. Politics can be both dull and funny. This site seems to have missed the latter.

^^ This is constructive ^^
  • Options
    My rather a-political daughter, who surely will never vote leave, today berated Cameron for insulting the intelligence of voters. She asked how was it credible that the man who in September said he "might" argue for LEAVE was now arguing that BREXIT could lead to War in Europe. Her husband, apparently, agrees with her.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,233

"Police who staged a mock attack featuring a bomber shouting "Allahu Akbar" have been forced to apologise for racial stereotyping."

*sighs*

I long for the day when the senior police officer responds to something like this by telling the complainants not to be so stupid, that they work on the basis of sensible risk assessment and that any such assessment at the moment would show that there is a high risk from suicide bombers shouting just this in a place crowded with civilians such as, ooh, I don't know, an airport or a football stadium or a train.

Stereotypes endure because there is a grain of truth in them.

When will the police learn to grow a pair? Sigh......

• Options
    edited May 2016

My rather a-political daughter, who surely will never vote leave, today berated Cameron for insulting the intelligence of voters. She asked how was it credible that the man who in September said he "might" argue for LEAVE was now arguing that BREXIT could lead to War in Europe. Her husband, apparently, agrees with her.

I know a lot of people who agree with her.

I'm wondering if the best thing that happened to Leave was Lynton Crosby's 2015 GE win. It has lulled an already arrogant Cameron Cabal into thinking he walks on water. They thought they could simply transpose the negative GE campaign to the EU Ref. As we've seen with Zac it can disastrously backfire and it seems to be here.

Negative campaigning may work in the US. It rarely does this side of the pond.
  • Options

midwinter said:

Oh right, good point

No, it meant I'm sick of idiots playing the race card. I'm happy to argue with you about racism if you like.

Sooooo....if you call people names it means you're winning the argument. But not neccessarily vice versa......

My point yesterday was very simple.....some people wouldn't support Ukip if they were aligned with the BNP....would you still vote for them in that scenario?

Please answer without mentioning the Labour party or anti semitism as neither are remotely relevant. Thankyou
  • Options
    Estobar said:

@jimwaterson: Leave.EU insist they don't endorse the Trump anti-migrant video they uploaded to Facebook. https://t.co/qjPOrLGRqC https://t.co/KW3z1S5acc
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

*sighs*

I long for the day when the senior police officer responds to something like this by telling the complainants not to be so stupid, that they work on the basis of sensible risk assessment and that any such assessment at the moment would show that there is a high risk from suicide bombers shouting just this in a place crowded with civilians such as, ooh, I don't know, an airport or a football stadium or a train.

According to Inspector Gadget there is no "official" apology at all, just a tweet from a portfolio-building officer. Dunno if that is right or not.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,300
    edited May 2016
    Cyclefree said:

*sighs*

In this case especially...it was a suicide bomber exercise....
  • Options
    @Scanditwitchen: The Swedish Ambassador to the UK talks #eurovision https://t.co/86VLzPQo9q (ps she is awesome - and she loves Eurovision as much as we do!)
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    midwinter said:

midwinter said:

Oh right, good point

Sooooo....if you call people names it means you're winning the argument. But not neccessarily vice versa......

My point yesterday was very simple.....some people wouldn't support Ukip if they were aligned with the BNP....would you still vote for them in that scenario?

Please answer without mentioning the Labour party or anti semitism as neither are remotely relevant. Thankyou

I'm so glad you have the authority to decide what is and is not relevant. Things can so confusing without a strong hand to order the rest of us about.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Cyclefree said:

*sighs*

It's alright: the next exercise will have the terrorist screaming "Peace be with you".
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@Scanditwitchen: The Swedish Ambassador to the UK talks #eurovision https://t.co/86VLzPQo9q (ps she is awesome - and she loves Eurovision as much as we do!)

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/728009849754271744
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,419
    Estobar said:

Very interesting comment but I am not sure the type of overhaul you think it may need
  • Options
    pbr2013 said:

Cyclefree said:

*sighs*

According to Inspector Gadget there is no "official" apology at all, just a tweet from a portfolio-building officer. Dunno if that is right or not.
    Indeed, a mealy-mouthed statement from one of the GMP's ACCs. I'll bet the GMP anti-terrorist foot soldiers are all good with it.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,446
    Estobar said:

I know a lot of people who agree with her.

I'm wondering if the best thing that happened to Leave was Lynton Crosby's 2015 GE win. It has lulled an already arrogant Cameron Cabal into thinking he walks on water. They thought they could simply transpose the negative GE campaign to the EU Ref. As we've seen with Zac it can disastrously backfire and it seems to be here.

Glad to see you are taking your own advice by injecting some humour into proceedings with the use of the word "cabal". Of course it's a cabal.
  • Options
    LadyBucketLadyBucket Posts: 590
    BBC presenters can hardly contain their glee at the PM's gaffe and made it their lead story. How truly pathetic. Even though there was a camera and microphone, I thought comments made when the Queen is present are normally private.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Tony Lloyd (Lab PCC) is doing his nut over this, rather than backing the plod. He said this is wrongly stigmatizing Muslims. Because the threat of suicide bombing in the Western World is well known to be equally distributed among different faiths.

If they had been doing a response to an armed robbery I might have to sympathy.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,601
    midwinter said:

midwinter said:

Oh right, good point

For me (not that you asked) it depends on what you mean by aligned. Formal or informal alliance - no. It would indicate approval by UKIP of racism. Support for UKIP from former or current BNP members? Sure. I don't care what they think. My views are my views. If they want to get on board with some of them, I really couldn't give a toss.
  • Options
    Miss Cyclefree, quite.

One thinks back to the 2011 looting. Took the police's top brass three days of riots, arson and looting before deciding to actually take necessary measures.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,427
    Cyclefree said:

*sighs*

Back in the 70s my dad was training for a tour in NI. The army had rebuilt part of Belfast as a training ground in Germany. One part was crowd control with squaddies in mufti playing the part of both the Catholic and Protestant crowds. On one occasion they had an Orange March which had to be martialled. The squaddies really got into their roles and when the Orange March came to a corner they suddenly all turned and held up their right hand which they had painted red.

A genuine riot erupted which no doubt made it a very good training exercise. No doubt in those days we were just a little less sensitive.
  • Options

Miss Cyclefree, quite.

One thinks back to the 2011 looting. Took the police's top brass three days of riots, arson and looting before deciding to actually take necessary measures.

They didn't want to be accused of being racist....
  • Options
    edited May 2016

BBC presenters can hardly contain their glee at the PM's gaffe and made it their lead story. How truly pathetic. Even though there was a camera and microphone, I thought comments made when the Queen is present are normally private.

Not sure that's a running argument, her husband's gaffes have been news fodder for years !

The Queen of course seems to be a damn sight brighter and more diplomatic than Dave. She is not the story here :)
  • Options

To be fair they did say he spoke to truth and that the Country's leaders accept they have a big problem. Also they said that it has highlighted the conference he is hosting in the next few days and his fight against corruption. Indeed the BBC were reasonably balanced and I do not say that about the BBC very often
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Collected Scottish Election Results updated with regional Votes and Seats on second tab

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eArmDpMR_p5op62r6nW_mf7OgoXybDHmgQCiywbp4hs/edit?usp=sharing
  • Options

Tony Lloyd (Lab PCC) is doing his nut over this, rather than backing the plod. He said this is wrongly stigmatizing Muslims. Because the threat of suicide bombing in the Western World is well known to be equally distributed among different faiths.

Labour just do not get it do they
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I remember a few years ago being in hospital for an extended period and met a guy in a similar position and we got chatting over the course of a number of days. It turned out he worked for a very well known multi-national company with interests in pretty much every country.

So we got chatting about what it was like operating in different parts of the world and he said that the company he worked for had a very strict policy on any sort of back handers, kick backs, favours, etc etc etc i.e. low level corruption....which he then prefaced well except Nigeria, got to be one of the most corrupt places on the planet, there we just have to bribe f##king everybody to get anything done.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Estobar said:

Scott_P said:

Estobar said:

Either way.
    Haha! But amongst several things it needs:
    1. An editor. Someone ruthless with a good grasp of English who will cut op ed threads down to the 20% of useful words that currently inhabit them. The verbosity is staggering.
    2. Broaden the political appeal instead of this monochromatic and deathly dull repetition
    3. Humour. Politics can be both dull and funny. This site seems to have missed the latter.

Mr. Estobar, the site is certainly a very different place from when I started visiting it in 2007. Not many people now talk about betting for a start and it is true that rather too many posters tend to repeat what they have previously said over and over again. Furthermore the tone has changed, some posters have become very rude towards other contributors and even silly in their allegations.

On the bright side, I think there is something in Mr. P's post upthread that the site will refresh on 24th June. Hopefully, that will return the site to some of its old vitality and maybe we will see some of the old faces return, we might even see some good-natured discussions of engineering, trains, history, statistics and cricket mixed in with the political betting stuff.

Failing that my hope is with Mr. Indigo who, I think, is working on a new version of Edmund's widget - then at least we can skip over those posters we find to be offensive/repetitive/annoying.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Collected Scottish Election Results updated with regional Votes and Seats on second tab

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eArmDpMR_p5op62r6nW_mf7OgoXybDHmgQCiywbp4hs/edit?usp=sharing

Labour has a proper existential problem on it's hands when they're only a thousand votes ahead of the Tories in the WEST of Scotland !
  • Options
    midwinter said:

midwinter said:

Oh right, good point

Why are you persisting with hypothetical, irrelevant arguments? I am a member of Ukip, I signed a form confirming I am not and have never been a member of BNP. For better or worse I have featured in most daily papers and live on radio, I have never been accused of racism.

I appreciate that isn't what you want to hear but if you find anything I have ever said or written that is even vaguely racist I'll make a donation to charity and apologise.

Now I have a question for you:

Are you a rapist? And if not can you prove it?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

Maybe they should have rotated training with saffron-robed Buddhists chanting "Ommmmmmmm"?

• Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

*sighs*

Back in the 70s my dad was training for a tour in NI. The army had rebuilt part of Belfast as a training ground in Germany. One part was crowd control with squaddies in mufti playing the part of both the Catholic and Protestant crowds. On one occasion they had an Orange March which had to be martialled. The squaddies really got into their roles and when the Orange March came to a corner they suddenly all turned and held up their right hand which they had painted red.

A genuine riot erupted which no doubt made it a very good training exercise. No doubt in those days we were just a little less sensitive.

"Mufti" can mean:

1. Civilian attire.

2. Islamic scholar.

Confusing.

• Options

For me (not that you asked) it depends on what you mean by aligned. Formal or informal alliance - no. It would indicate approval by UKIP of racism. Support for UKIP from former or current BNP members? Sure. I don't care what they think. My views are my views. If they want to get on board with some of them, I really couldn't give a toss.

Quite...that was the point that was being made. That most UKIP supporters wouldn't tolerate association with an openly racist political party.
  • Options

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

Oh right, good point

Why are you persisting with hypothetical, irrelevant arguments? I am a member of Ukip, I signed a form confirming I am not and have never been a member of BNP. For better or worse I have featured in most daily papers and live on radio, I have never been accused of racism.

I appreciate that isn't what you want to hear but if you find anything I have ever said or written that is even vaguely racist I'll make a donation to charity and apologise.

Is your last question for real - totally unacceptable
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,233

What stigmatizes Muslims is the fact that some Muslims behave like such total arseholes allegedly on behalf of all Muslims and in the name of their religion that they drag others into their vilely warped view of life.

Much as the IRA did for Irishmen in the 1970's.

What will stop the stigma is when the arseholes stop being arseholes. And Tony Lloyd might more usefully use his gob to make this point. Or shut up, if he can't say anything sensible.

What was it that Trevor Phillips said this morning about liberal self-delusion?

Apologies for all the bad language but really......

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,427

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

*sighs*

"Mufti" can mean:

1. Civilian attire.

2. Islamic scholar.

Confusing.

I definitely meant 1.
  • Options
    Got to agree with DAVE... those two countries are total crapheaps..
  • Options
    Mr. Mark, I, for one, remain grateful to Baroness Warsi for warning us of the dangers of the militant secularists.
  • Options

Miss Cyclefree, quite.

Mr Dancer,

EMA = Electrical Merchandise Allowance :)
  • Options

Got to agree with DAVE... those two countries are total crapheaps..

Even the BBC agreed
  • Options

midwinter said:

midwinter said:

Oh right, good point

Is your last question for real - totally unacceptable

Nope, I'm sick and tired of people unreasonably playing the racist card, swap the c for a p and look at the response. I didn't accuse him of being a rapist
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

Is your name pronounced bouquet?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Not sure that's a running argument, her husband's gaffes have been news fodder for years !

The Queen of course seems to be a damn sight brighter and more diplomatic than Dave. She is not the story here :)
    Liz W 4 PM :)
  • Options
    Estobar said:

Jeremy Corbyn is a hoot. But the Lefties don't get the joke....

• Options
    @paulwaugh: Get this. No10 hinting Cameron *knew* mics were on when he called Afghanistan/Nigeria 'fantastically corrupt'. 'Cameras are v close to him'

The West Wing defence...
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Is your name pronounced bouquet?
    No its pronounced, Thornberry...
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,687
    Cyclefree said:

What stigmatizes Muslims is the fact that some Muslims behave like such total arseholes allegedly on behalf of all Muslims and in the name of their religion that they drag others into their vilely warped view of life.

Much as the IRA did for Irishmen in the 1970's.

What will stop the stigma is when the arseholes stop being arseholes. And Tony Lloyd might more usefully use his gob to make this point. Or shut up, if he can't say anything sensible.

What was it that Trevor Phillips said this morning about liberal self-delusion?

Apologies for all the bad language but really......

VM for you.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Maybe they should have rotated training with saffron-robed Buddhists chanting "Ommmmmmmm"?

But what terrorists would Buddhists be.

Would they be a knife attacker, or a gunman, or a suicide bomber?

Or would they be one with everything?

• Options
    Estobar said:

I say, I say, I say.

Q. Why did the Europhile cross the road?

A. Because Brussels told him to!!
  • Options
    Sometimes Diplomacy should take a back seat..It is refreshing to hear it like it is....the message will not be lost on either country..they are both corrupt..they need to stop it.
  • Options

But what terrorists would Buddhists be.

Would they be a knife attacker, or a gunman, or a suicide bomber?

Or would they be one with everything?

Self immolation.
  • Options

MTimT said:

Good piece of analysis, Mr Meeks. It confirms my view that Cameron is a lousy negotiator and, at least as far as the EU is concerned, strategist. Being tone-deaf to the negotiating environment and the interests/values of the other parties is no way to maximize one's own outcome.

Yep ..... that's why I'm voting LEAVE. Not only did Cameron get a lousy rushed deal (if indeed one can call it a deal, given the EU's wriggle room), but he then has the temerity to try to kid us that it's a great deal, effectively treating us like fools. Well, sorry, but he's been caught out and it will finish him.
    Your words, my thoughts exactly...
  • Options

I say, I say, I say.

Q. Why did the Europhile cross the road?

A. Because Brussels told him to!!

Why did the Kipper cross the road?

"What is does have to do with is a country in which the population is going through the roof, chiefly because of open-door immigration, and the fact the M4 is not as navigable as it used to be."
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@paulwaugh: Get this. No10 hinting Cameron *knew* mics were on when he called Afghanistan/Nigeria 'fantastically corrupt'. 'Cameras are v close to him'

The West Wing defence...

No wonder his negotiations went so badly with the European Union.
  • Options
    Sir Cliff Richard file sent to Crown Prosecution Service
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36261170
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_P said:

The West Wing defence...

No wonder his negotiations went so badly with the European Union.
    And fancy lecturing the Queen about a Commonwealth country. Oh dear. He's pretty hapless at the moment.
  • Options
    BGNW..India and Egypt are well up there in the corruption league..I was in a negotiation with an Egyptian official and was told that in order to get the deal done I would have to take a brand new Merc to his office...and take a taxi home..
  • Options

Estobar said:

Jeremy Corbyn is a hoot. But the Lefties don't get the joke....

;)

Guido arguably overdoes the humour but we do need some in thread headers.

Just finished Season 4 of House of Cards. Jeez it's good. Best series I've ever watched (outstrips the West Wing). How's it possible to make someone that Machiavellian so darn likeable? Well I guess humour's part of it.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @LadyBucket

'BBC presenters can hardly contain their glee at the PM's gaffe and made it their lead story. How truly pathetic. Even though there was a camera and microphone, I thought comments made when the Queen is present are normally private.'

What's wrong with our politicians telling the truth occasionally ?

Maybe they could give us an estimate of how many billions of taxpayers money has been wasted in these countries.

• Options

BGNW..India and Egypt are well up there in the corruption league..I was in a negotiation with an Egyptian official and was told that in order to get the deal done I would have to take a brand new Merc to his office...and take a taxi home..

This discussion has been closed.