Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

1235»

Comments

• Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191

Where is Guido getting all this info from..he seems to have better resoures than some main line newspapers..

It's just the internet, a list of councillors and plenty of time.

As put somewhere else

"It'll be impossible for Labour HQ to keep a lid on all social media Naz Shah-style emoting from the usual suspects. This is the Tories new Liam Byrne note, except multiplied by hundreds, if not thousands. They are so f*cked."

They have two choices - absolute zero-tolerance on this or own it. Pretending it's not going on or limp wristed what-aboutery will just dig an ever deeper hole.

"When the fire is returned, it's either untrue, a smear, or they claim what about Mr X in the 1960s.... therefore it's alright."

Ah.

This will not end well.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Sighs

Hohoho
    @GuidoFawkes Sad to think Guido's team have been racially profiling their targets for 3 solid weeks now
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

As an aside, re historic local election results, it's been mentioned that 1982 is the last time an opposition lost seats in a non-GE year. What's been passed over is tat the Tories lost seats that year too (if not as many). 1982 was not only the time of the Falklands but also of the high point f the SDP-Liberal Alliance and it was they who 'won' the elections in terms of gains.

There isn't an example of the governing party making gains *and* the main opposition party suffering losses in a non-GE year since before the major local government restructuring of the early 1970s.

Plenty of examples from prior to that date though!
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    DavidL said:

Anyway I hope Spurs win tonight. Leicester deserve to win the league, not have it handed to them by default.

Well said. COYS!

I've started laying Sadiq just to have some skin in. Don't expect it to come in mind.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259
    They just keep coming. Shami has her work cut out.
  • Options
    "[He] did not write any anti-Semitic tracts, [he] just clicked share“

Real words from a Labour MP there.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Where is Guido getting all this info from..he seems to have better resoures than some main line newspapers..

As put somewhere else

"It'll be impossible for Labour HQ to keep a lid on all social media Naz Shah-style emoting from the usual suspects. This is the Tories new Liam Byrne note, except multiplied by hundreds, if not thousands. They are so f*cked."

They have two choices - absolute zero-tolerance on this or own it. Pretending it's not going on or limp wristed what-aboutery will just dig an ever deeper hole.

"When the fire is returned, it's either untrue, a smear, or they claim what about Mr X in the 1960s.... therefore it's alright."

Ah.

This will not end well.
    What I find genuinely interesting about this is that we have heard complaints for a long time about the professionalisation of politics. This all shows that we're a long way from professional. Professionals would have not revealed their views, certainly when reduced to writing, or at least been more nuanced in their approach. You had to wait for memoirs, or a PRO release for honesty. Now its realtime.
  • Options
    Twitter makes amateurs of us all.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

Why do apologists for the Racists in the Labour Party hark back to the 70s..when we are all discussing very recent events..such as two Labour Poilticians being suspended within the last week..for blatant Racism..

I think they're just trying not to embarrass Aidan Burley. Still, good that that matter was dealt with by a swift expulsion from the party, eh?
  • Options

Twitter makes amateurs of us all.

Labour HQ waiting for the shoe shop to drop?
  • Options
    matt said:

As put somewhere else

Ah.

This will not end well.
    What I find genuinely interesting about this is that we have heard complaints for a long time about the professionalisation of politics. This all shows that we're a long way from professional. Professionals would have not revealed their views, certainly when reduced to writing, or at least been more nuanced in their approach. You had to wait for memoirs, or a PRO release for honesty. Now its realtime.
    The complaints about the professionalisation of politics are thinly veiled digs at Oxbridge educated, PPE graduates. Not too many of them being dug up by Guido, are there?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Guido claiming Labour have suspended the Blackburn councillor.
  • Options

Alasdair said:

murali_s said:

MikeK said:

Good morning all.
    Typical Bank Holiday weather down in London.
    Cloud covered sky. Morose, if weather can be called morose, and threatening rain.

So it's a cuppa for me and back to bed in a jiffy.

My mother is a true Tory. She still rails against Harold Wilson for making May day a bank holiday.

Jim Callaghan, 1978.
    True Tory, getting it wrong!
    Indeed - Tories are ALWAYS wrong...
    FRom Wikipedia:

Banking and Financial Dealings Act 1971

Commencing in 1965, on an experimental basis, the August Bank Holiday weekend was observed at the end of August "to give a lead in extending British holidays over a longer summer period".[7] Each year's date was announced in Parliament on an ad-hoc basis, to the despair of the calendar and diary publishing trade.[8] The rule seems to have been to select the weekend of the last Saturday in August, so that in 1968[9] and 1969[10] Bank Holiday Monday actually fell in September.

A century after the 1871 Act, the Banking and Financial Dealings Act 1971, which currently regulates bank holidays in the UK, was passed.[11] The majority of the current bank holidays were specified in the 1971 Act: however New Year's Day and May Day were not introduced throughout the whole of the UK until 1974 and 1978 respectively.[12] The date of the August bank holiday was changed from the first Monday in August to the last Monday in August, and the Whitsun bank holiday (Whit Monday) was replaced by the Late Spring Bank Holiday, fixed as the last Monday in May.[13] In 1978 the first Monday in May in the rest of the UK, and the final Monday of May in Scotland, were designated as bank holidays.[14]

In January 2007, the St Andrew's Day Bank Holiday (Scotland) Act 2007 was given royal assent, making 30 November (or the nearest Monday if a weekend) a bank holiday in Scotland.[15]

So the legislation was from 1971, but the changes were not introduced immediately. Wison got the blame in 1974 for Heath's legislation.
    It was Callaghan in 1978 - Wilson resigned in '76!
    I think it came into being in 1978 but the decision to establish it was taken a few years earlier when Michael Foot was Employment Secretary in Harold Wilson's Cabinet.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

@roger

I do wonder whether anti-semitism swung enough votes away from Labour to make the difference required for a Tory majority last year. It is hard to differentiate antisemitism from Eds genuine crapness though.

Mainly Ed's crapness but it might have lost one or two votes to UKIP or the Tories who knows?

There are many on here though who wouldn't understand anti semitism if it bit them on the backside. They are either jumping on a pretty unattractive right wing band wagon or they are enjoying the rare feeling of being on the right side of racism.

I thought this an interesting observation from Nick Cohen yesterday. I didn't agree with most of his article because as a strong Zionist he sees offense where others of us wouldn't and I believe in his case the sentiment is sincere. But spot PBers in his opening paragraph;

"Racism is not a specific illness but a general sickness. Display one symptom and you display them all. If you show me an anti-Muslim bigot, I will be able to guess his or her views on the European Union, welfare state, crime and “political correctness”. Show me a leftwing or Islamist antisemite and, once again, he will carry a suitcase full of prejudices, which have nothing to do with Jews, but somehow have everything to do with Jews".
  • Options

justin124 said:

WRT London Mayor and Boris specifically.. he was great because he defeated the utterly loathsome Ken Livingstone, Boris was the man for the moment. As far as any other career moves are concerned, I think that's hit the buffers head on.

Clearly Ken has stuff and needs help. Labour shouldn't let him back in until they are satisfied he has got professional help. For our part, we should not forget that he beat the Party system in the first Mayoral election, which no one else has come close to doing.

May I assume that Peebies generally think that JC has handled the issue well, given that all the bile has been directed at Ken (who has deserved all he's got)?

Corbyn is joined at the hip to Ken Livingstone.. and Corbyn couldn't handle anything well. He is the black knight

Given that JC was elected as Party leader (and would be re-elected to-morrow, surely) I repeat my question: what advantage do you see in the legality of a Party that behaves as Labour does to-day? If you find that offensive (which can only be because you enjoy taking offence where none is meant) let me ask a different question: assuming the Tories win a landslide in 2020 - as I think we almost all expect - why do you want Labour to remain the official Opposition, - and if you don't, who do you want to replace them?

In predicting a Tory landslide in 2020 you speak for yourself. The more psephologically aware tend to have a much more open mind.
    I got £100 off Bill 'Ill last year by predicting a Tory majority. Let's see how the land lies on Friday.

That still will not tell us much about 2020.
  • Options

justin124 said:

Dixie said:

daodao said:

daodao said:

Indigo said:

daodao said:

The current furore is not really about anti-Semitism, which is being deliberately conflated with anti-Zionism by both Zionists and anti-Semites. It is, as a leading union leader Len McCluskey has clearly stated, a deliberate attempt by Jeremy Corbyn's opponents within Labour to undermine his leadership and a cynical attempt to manipulate anti-Semitism for political aims. In essence it is a Blairite conspiracy - one of the leading protagonists is Lord Levy, close friend and confidant of the former PM.

That a lot of hand waving and attempting to obscure the issues. There are only two issues that have any relevance here.

1) Did they say or write what is reported
    2) Are those sort of views acceptable for elected politicians to hold in today's UK

I am neither a Blairite nor a zionist.
    I don't support the views of Ken Livingstone or Naz Shah either, but they have a right to express such views and it is self-defeating, particularly for a widely hated minority, to take umbrage at them.
    It is self defeating for a hated minority to take umbrage at hatred? Wow.

Do you say the same about all such hatred or only anti-Semitism?
    As a Tory I get quite a bit of abuse on Twitter from official Labour twitter handles. And I am a nobody. Labour has a large number of vile members. Labour have a institutionalised racist group in their party.
    All parties have 'vile members'. Remember John Carlisle the openly pro Apartheid Tory MP and all those Young Tories happy to wear T-Shirts with the slogan 'Hang Nelson Mandela!' Many on here have clearly forgotten how pro-Ian Smith and Rhodesia many Tories were in the 1960s and 70s - including Thatcher! It was never necessary to look further than The Monday Club to discover how riddled with racism a significant section of the Tory party has been over the years.
    That you have to go back to the 70s to make a case against the Tories says so much about the difference between the main parties today.
    @justin124 also made many Nazi related posts here just a few months ago.
    Yes indeed - and I stand by those comments in relation to the Tory Government's intent to further erode Trade Union rights and to push us ever further in the direction of a slave labour economy.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Roger said:

@roger

I do wonder whether anti-semitism swung enough votes away from Labour to make the difference required for a Tory majority last year. It is hard to differentiate antisemitism from Eds genuine crapness though.

Mainly Ed's crapness but it might have lost one or two votes to UKIP or the Tories who knows?

There are many on here though who wouldn't understand anti semitism if it bit them on the backside. They are either jumping on a pretty unattractive right wing band wagon or they are enjoying the rare feeling of being on the right side of racism.

I thought this an interesting observation from Nick Cohen yesterday. I didn't agree with most of his article because as a strong Zionist he sees offense where others of us wouldn't and I believe in his case the sentiment is sincere. But spot PBers in his opening paragraph;

"Racism is not a specific illness but a general sickness. Display one symptom and you display them all. If you show me an anti-Muslim bigot, I will be able to guess his or her views on the European Union, welfare state, crime and “political correctness”. Show me a leftwing or Islamist antisemite and, once again, he will carry a suitcase full of prejudices, which have nothing to do with Jews, but somehow have everything to do with Jews".
    Yes, I noticed how he cunningly implied all Leavers are racists. I'm not surprised you agree with that nonsense.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    Roger said:

@roger

They are either jumping on a pretty unattractive right wing band wagon or they are enjoying the rare feeling of being on the right side of racism.
    Incredible that so many Labour MPs are actually right wingers or usually are racist, given they are 'jumping' on this.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger has flipped..again....

You only have to read PB to know the accuracy of what I've just said. Dixie yesterday talked about inviting 'communities' to the House "never the The English". Try using Cyclefree's test down thread adding 'Jewish' to 'communities'

Or 'Tory' Lewis Duckworth who is worth quoting in full "Well, most (Jews) have been here longer than other minorities, and, in contrast to muslims, they all speak English, don't have their womenfolk kitted out in bin-liners, don't send recruits to Syria, and don't require 24/7 surveillance by our security services.

This casual racism is endemic on here for no other reason than it's populated by Tories and Ukipers. Labour supporters have been standing up for minorities against the 'Dixies' and the 'Lewis Duckworths' for years.
    Do you mean "casual" in the sense of not-like-Hitler-after-1932? You see, I must explain Mr Roger, that unlike quite a few-tweeting-Labour-councillors I don't regard Hitler as a hero or the holocaust as a good thing.
  • Options
    Guido
    @MrHarryCole We are breaking for lunch.
  • Options
    PPP
    Ohio GE:

Trump 42
    Clinton 45 (+3)

Trump 41
    Sanders 45 (+4)

Cruz 35
    Clinton/Sanders 44 (+9)

@ppppolls

FYI: Obama won Ohio in '12 by 3%
  • Options
    And once the digging begins

Ben
    In 2006, Salim Mulla gave a character reference in court for a paedophile.
    https://t.co/k6AyJvoILV https://t.co/Ow8JwUu5to
  • Options
    AlasdairAlasdair Posts: 72

Alasdair said:

murali_s said:

MikeK said:

Good morning all.
    Cloud covered sky. Morose, if weather can be called morose, and threatening rain.

My mother is a true Tory. She still rails against Harold Wilson for making May day a bank holiday.

Jim Callaghan, 1978.
    True Tory, getting it wrong!
    Indeed - Tories are ALWAYS wrong...
    FRom Wikipedia:

Banking and Financial Dealings Act 1971

Commencing in 1965, on an experimental basis, the August Bank Holiday weekend was observed at the end of August "to give a lead in extending British holidays over a longer summer period".[7] Each year's date was announced in Parliament on an ad-hoc basis, to the despair of the calendar and diary publishing trade.[8] The rule seems to have been to select the weekend of the last Saturday in August, so that in 1968[9] and 1969[10] Bank Holiday Monday actually fell in September.

A century after the 1871 Act, the Banking and Financial Dealings Act 1971, which currently regulates bank holidays in the UK, was passed.[11] The majority of the current bank holidays were specified in the 1971 Act: however New Year's Day and May Day were not introduced throughout the whole of the UK until 1974 and 1978 respectively.[12] The date of the August bank holiday was changed from the first Monday in August to the last Monday in August, and the Whitsun bank holiday (Whit Monday) was replaced by the Late Spring Bank Holiday, fixed as the last Monday in May.[13] In 1978 the first Monday in May in the rest of the UK, and the final Monday of May in Scotland, were designated as bank holidays.[14]

In January 2007, the St Andrew's Day Bank Holiday (Scotland) Act 2007 was given royal assent, making 30 November (or the nearest Monday if a weekend) a bank holiday in Scotland.[15]

So the legislation was from 1971, but the changes were not introduced immediately. Wison got the blame in 1974 for Heath's legislation.
    It was Callaghan in 1978 - Wilson resigned in '76!
    Yes, I remember it well. The sense of surprise at Wilson resigning.

I too remember Wilson getting blamed for all the changes to bank holiday dates. Perhaps it is because he started the process in 1965 by moving the August bank hoilday from the beginning to the end of August. Maybe Heath only completed a work already in progress at the 1970 dissolution.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995

Heroic rant from David Torrance:

Scottish nationalists, Brexiteers and Corbynistas have much in common, all utterly certain of what’s - and who’s - wrong but utterly vacuous when challenged to produce a coherent alternative. But like any party or movement that begins with a conclusion (independence/Brexit/socialism) and then works backwards, intellectual contortions are inevitable.

Their respective supporters don’t much care, too busy seeing what what they want to see, hearing what they want to hear, hypercritical of their opponents but strangely forgiving of their own tribe’s frequent lapses and lack of detail.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/14464869.David_Torrance__Scottish_nationalists_and_Brexiteers_have_much_in_common__Both_are_utterly_vacuous/?ref=twtrec

Torrance is one of the biggest balloons in the media, a useless moronic no mark.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287

tlg86 said:

Indigo said:

tlg86 said:

MikeK said:

Good morning all.

If I became PM the first thing I would do is scrap this Bank Holiday and add one in the first Monday in July.
    Perhaps late June would be better, on the 4th Friday to make a long weekend?

We could initiate it this year and call it "European Unity Day"

April 23rd I think you mean. Call it the Emily Thornbury Appreciation Day :D
    St George is patron saint of several European countries including Malta and Romania, so a very good suggestion as patron saint of European Unity.

The practical issue is that too many bank holidays are close together on spring Mondays.

We should abolish Easter.
    I propose that all Bank Holidays should be secular. And warm and sunny.
    Impossible. Where would you find seven days that are warm and sunny? In Scotland it would be even harder.

If you want constant sunshine move to the Med.
This discussion has been closed.