Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    runnymede said:

Here's another one the REMAIN campaign could use 'Brexit threatens supply of Romanian tarts'

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/may/01/romanian-sex-workers-challenge-uk-immigration-policy

Indigenous tarts have been complaining for some time about E European tarts driving down prices.
    Mongerers for Remain.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

And another one

http://order-order.com/2016/05/02/another-labour-politician-wants-to-relocate-jews-to-america/

This Labour councilor has managed a full house. Blood libel, Israeli Nazis, deport them... Oh and Rothchilds

I still think my local councillor was the "best.". She didn't pussyfoot around denying the Holocaust. She thought it was a good thing, along with Hitler being "the greatest man in history".
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983

tlg86 said:

Indigo said:

tlg86 said:

MikeK said:

Good morning all.
    Typical Bank Holiday weather down in London.
    Cloud covered sky. Morose, if weather can be called morose, and threatening rain.

So it's a cuppa for me and back to bed in a jiffy.

My mother is a true Tory. She still rails against Harold Wilson for making May day a bank holiday.

If I became PM the first thing I would do is scrap this Bank Holiday and add one in the first Monday in July.
    Perhaps late June would be better, on the 4th Friday to make a long weekend?

We could initiate it this year and call it "European Unity Day"

April 23rd I think you mean. Call it the Emily Thornbury Appreciation Day :D
    St George is patron saint of several European countries including Malta and Romania, so a very good suggestion as patron saint of European Unity.

The practical issue is that too many bank holidays are close together on spring Mondays.

We should abolish Easter.
    We should abolish Easter bank holidays. Depriving the Christian church of its biggest festival seems unnecessary interference. It'd have the beneficial side-effect of being able to standardise school terms.
    You wouldn't like Lancashire then. There the school holidays were April 11th to 25th except for the church academies who went for March 25th to April 11th (to the annoyance of everyone with children in both primary and secondary schools)...
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Had a very, very long chat with a CSU guy on Saturday, wasn't sure whether to post it, but it may have betting implications for the German federal election.

He believes, and says he is backed by polling evidence, that AfD's attempt to brand themselves as a conservative anti-Islamic party could turn into a Swiss SVP/FDP style situation where the moderate/centre right party is supplanted by an angrier more right wing version and the leadership seem to be oblivious as to what is happening on the ground. They think the migrant deal with Turkey has solved the problem, but the AfD are now campaigning on an anti-Erdogan/Turkey platform and they are doing well with it, especially in parts of Germany where there is a significant Turkish minority who haven't integrated well.

He thinks that unless the CDU/CSU alliance take a more right wing approach to migration and border controls that AfD could do extremely well, polls that the CSU have had commissioned privately show that once people have gotten over the hump of voting for a out and out right wing party rather than some kind of "democrat" that AfD score very well, in the mid 20s. Where the stigma remains they are down in the high single figures. He said the media campaign to sideline them has helped the CDU a lot because it keeps AfD stigmatised, but he feels it won't last and if AfD score 15%+ in the federal election then the media will have no choice but to engage with them as Germany's largest non-governmental party, essentially the official opposition to the grand coalition.

I think the biggest problem he has is that he doesn't disagree with a lot of their stances on Muslim integration in Germany and knows a lot of CDU/CSU members feel the same, but they loathe AfD's economic and social platforms which are very protectionist and conservative. He says that AfD are essentially the same as UKIP, but aren't in favour of leaving the EU, they just want to bring back the Deutsche Mark and make the Bundesbank their lender of last resort and central bank again, something he is vehemently opposed to.

Again, this is just the view of one person, but I've trusted his view for a long time, last time he said that AfD would be on the cusp of getting into the Bundestag, possibly making it or not which is why the CSU ramped up the rhetoric in the last few days going into the election, which he feels denied AfD the 0.3% (~150k votes) they needed to get in last time.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

Irishman comes out with racial slurs? I'm shocked to my core.

I love Django Unchained.
    Think we have had DaoDao unhinged on here this morning
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937

We had this exact discussion pre 2015 GE & the likes of the Mail (which has a surprisingly large labour leaning readership) went massive on the little ed in the pocket of SNP angle & the rest is history....perhaps.

I think the answer is complex & nuanced.

Newspapers set the reporting agenda. That's why they matter. Most people get their news from the TV, but very often the TV journalists get their angles and lines of questioning from what is in the papers.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    YouGov have Leave with a 20% lead

Excluding don't knows and wouldn't votes Leave has a 20 point lead over Remain in a hypothetical referendum on Britain's membership of the Eurovision Song Contest

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/05/02/eurovision-referendum-leave-lead-20/
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Moses_ said:

Irishman comes out with racial slurs? I'm shocked to my core.

I love Django Unchained.
    Think we have had DaoDao unhinged on here this morning
    :smiley:
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    It's a shame I'm out for the rest of the day, or I would have done a Eurovision/Brexit thread based on that YouGov poll for this afternoon.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Mr. Max, when are the German elections?
  • Options

And another one

http://order-order.com/2016/05/02/another-labour-politician-wants-to-relocate-jews-to-america/

This Labour councilor has managed a full house. Blood libel, Israeli Nazis, deport them... Oh and Rothchilds

It's going to be impossible for Labour to clean out its own stables when so many of its stablehands can't see or smell horsesh*t.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    Indigo said:

daodao said:

The current furore is not really about anti-Semitism, which is being deliberately conflated with anti-Zionism by both Zionists and anti-Semites. It is, as a leading union leader Len McCluskey has clearly stated, a deliberate attempt by Jeremy Corbyn's opponents within Labour to undermine his leadership and a cynical attempt to manipulate anti-Semitism for political aims. In essence it is a Blairite conspiracy - one of the leading protagonists is Lord Levy, close friend and confidant of the former PM.

That a lot of hand waving and attempting to obscure the issues. There are only two issues that have any relevance here.

1) Did they say or write what is reported
    2) Are those sort of views acceptable for elected politicians to hold in today's UK

As for the conspiracy ? I think you need a new tiny foil hat tbh, but even if it was true, if they hadn't said and written those things, there would be no case to answer, no scandal, and no crisis.

daodao said:

Indigo said:

daodao said:

The current furore is not really about anti-Semitism, which is being deliberately conflated with anti-Zionism by both Zionists and anti-Semites. It is, as a leading union leader Len McCluskey has clearly stated, a deliberate attempt by Jeremy Corbyn's opponents within Labour to undermine his leadership and a cynical attempt to manipulate anti-Semitism for political aims. In essence it is a Blairite conspiracy - one of the leading protagonists is Lord Levy, close friend and confidant of the former PM.

That a lot of hand waving and attempting to obscure the issues. There are only two issues that have any relevance here.

2) Are those sort of views acceptable for elected politicians to hold in today's UK

As for the conspiracy ? I think you need a new tiny foil hat tbh, but even if it was true, if they hadn't said and written those things, there would be no case to answer, no scandal, and no crisis.
    The answer to both questions is YES. This is a manufactured crisis by Blairites/Zionists who regard views other than their own as unacceptable.
    How did they get Ken to start banging on about Hitler? Is he in on it?
    Exactly. The ability of people to tie themselves in knots when maki g political arguments doesn't surprise me, but the strength of argument that there's nothing to see here is still pretty amazing. These things were said. Others have responded to take advantage, but they didn't make Ken be an idiot.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Mr. Max, when are the German elections?

October of next year.
  • Options

Indigo said:

However Liz Kendall reckons we should make 400 gains. No agenda there Liz.

You should make 400 gains with the Tories busy knifing each other as publically as possible. You won't because your party is lead by a pointless tit in a beard, and it's entire media management operation appears to have had a collecting nervous breakdown thus leaving Ken to give unique and interesting interviews for most of the past week.

Thanks for your concern!

Perhaps the correct thing to say is that we would need to be making around 400 gains to be on track to win a majority in 2020. But then who really thinks we'll do that?

Given how inept this government is a credible opposition would have a great chance of winning in 2020. But Labour members and the party's leadership have no interest in that

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited May 2016
    I can't quite believe what I was hearing on Matthew Wright Show on C5. He is asking the question is Hitler-Gate is all an unfair smear on Labour and him and the whole panel agree it absolutely is.

Its all the Tories, and the Tories are all racist etc etc etc

It was clearly the Tories who forced Ken at gun point to go on and on for 3 days about Hitler.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

MikeK said:

Good morning all.
    Cloud covered sky. Morose, if weather can be called morose, and threatening rain.

My mother is a true Tory. She still rails against Harold Wilson for making May day a bank holiday.

If I became PM the first thing I would do is scrap this Bank Holiday and add one in the first Monday in July.
    I'd move it to Oct or early Nov. Nothing from August to Christmas.
    Agreed. Personally I thought it'd be funny to have one on the day of IndyRef though, we could call it Union day. It's not as funny to me now the SNP look like winning the long game.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    kle4 said:

Indigo said:

daodao said:

daodao said:

Indigo said:

daodao said:

The answer to both questions is YES. This is a manufactured crisis by Blairites/Zionists who regard views other than their own as unacceptable.
    How did they get Ken to start banging on about Hitler? Is he in on it?
    Exactly. The ability of people to tie themselves in knots when maki g political arguments doesn't surprise me, but the strength of argument that there's nothing to see here is still pretty amazing. These things were said. Others have responded to take advantage, but they didn't make Ken be an idiot.
    On this issue, and it’s timing, he did that all by himself.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040

Indigo said:

However Liz Kendall reckons we should make 400 gains. No agenda there Liz.

You should make 400 gains with the Tories busy knifing each other as publically as possible. You won't because your party is lead by a pointless tit in a beard, and it's entire media management operation appears to have had a collecting nervous breakdown thus leaving Ken to give unique and interesting interviews for most of the past week.

Thanks for your concern!

Perhaps the correct thing to say is that we would need to be making around 400 gains to be on track to win a majority in 2020. But then who really thinks we'll do that?

Given how inept this government is a credible opposition would have a great chance of winning in 2020. But Labour members and the party's leadership have no interest in that

If only Calamity Clegg was not such a turncoat, the LDs would be riding high in the polls now instead of struggling to reach double figures....
  • Options
    DixieDixie Posts: 1,221
    Right, I am off to spend the day with that very nice, and very honest man, Zac G. As long as he is not mobbed too much, we will shoot a quick video. Honest man, telling the truth about the bigots in the Labour party. Every terrorist will be rubbing their hands with glee if Candidate Khan gives them credibility by winning the Mayoralty in London. Dark days ahead? Hope not. Cheerio for now.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

We had this exact discussion pre 2015 GE & the likes of the Mail (which has a surprisingly large labour leaning readership) went massive on the little ed in the pocket of SNP angle & the rest is history....perhaps.

I think the answer is complex & nuanced.

Newspapers set the reporting agenda. That's why they matter. Most people get their news from the TV, but very often the TV journalists get their angles and lines of questioning from what is in the papers.

Agreed, although I think it is even more complex now with twitter, facebook etc etc etc. But to right the influence of the press of just yet isn't correct, even the Guardian with a tiny readership sets the agenda on a regular basis.
  • Options

And another one

It's going to be impossible for Labour to clean out its own stables when so many of its stablehands can't see or smell horsesh*t.
    There's a bit in A Feast for crows where Jaime Lannister thinks "Father, both your dogs have gone quite mad.". That's similar to what I'm thinking now.
  • Options

And another one

It is clear they have got loads of these to keep dripping slowly.
  • Options
    Mr. Urquhart, some people are bloody crackers.

I prefer Ed Miliband's brand of silly comedy, myself.

Mr. Max, cheers. Time for AfD to wax or wane, then.
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    Sean_F said:

And another one

I still think my local councillor was the "best.". She didn't pussyfoot around denying the Holocaust. She thought it was a good thing, along with Hitler being "the greatest man in history".
    If I heard a local councillor doing that, whatever their Party, I'd be asking for their expulsion from their Party. I hope Sean Fear did just that :)

• Options

Sean_F said:

And another one

If I heard a local councillor doing that, whatever their Party, I'd be asking for their expulsion from their Party. I hope Sean Fear did just that :)

She resigned.
  • Options
    Dixie said:

Right, I am off to spend the day with that very nice, and very honest man, Zac G. As long as he is not mobbed too much, we will shoot a quick video. Honest man, telling the truth about the bigots in the Labour party. Every terrorist will be rubbing their hands with glee if Candidate Khan gives them credibility by winning the Mayoralty in London. Dark days ahead? Hope not. Cheerio for now.

In other words, you want every Londoner to regard Khan as a terrorist except for Special Branch.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    daodao said:

Indigo said:

daodao said:

daodao said:

Indigo said:

daodao said:

Those antisemitic views are disgusting and unacceptable.

I am neither a Blairite nor a zionist.
    I don't support the views of Ken Livingstone or Naz Shah either, but they have a right to express such views and it is self-defeating, particularly for a widely hated minority, to take umbrage at them.
    widely hated ? I doubt 98% of people are remotely interested, widely hated amongst Corbynite leftie nutters, more likely.

What is self-defeating is excusing these sorts of view, it guarantees not getting elected again for the foreseeable future.
    In my personal experience, anti-Semitic views are held by all segments of the population
    Well that's depressing and alarming if it is even half true.

I have personally heard casually racist remarks from many different people, unmistakably racist as well, not using the word swarm racist, but only once in my life do I recall one of those remarks being anti Semitic, so anecdotally I find it hard to believe.

I also struggle to see the point - if you are right, a majority of people hold a loathsome view and must be challenged.

Being an arsehole should not be against the law, people have the right to be arseholes, but I would hope they would not be allowed to pretend they are not arseholes, for if they hold these sorts of views, that is what they are.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

And another one

She resigned.
    Give her credit for that, anyway. The positive side of this is that British Muslims are discovering that their inherited view of the matter is not acceptable to the rest of us.

• Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    The scary thing about the latest Labour Councillor statements re moving the Jews in Israel to America is the fact Labour supporters voted for him..therefore they support his views..
  • Options
    daodao said:

Mr. Daodao, you appear to be blaming victims of bigotry rather than the perpetrators.

I am not blaming anyone, but just trying to put things into perspective and pointing out that minorities have to recognise the power of the majority.

However, there does seem to be an excessive loathing of Corbyn, and support for those who have a downer on him, on this forum. He is an old man, and not especially bright, and will be off the scene sooner rather than later in the natural course of events.
    There is a lot of loathing of Corbyn on here, you are correct. But that becomesirrelevant when attacking other people for things they did say, even if it is also a way of undermining Corbyn. The things were still said,
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Sean_F said:

And another one

There's a bit in A Feast for crows where Jaime Lannister thinks "Father, both your dogs have gone quite mad.". That's similar to what I'm thinking now.
    I'm beginning to wonder how many of these creatures are Labour councillors. Guido seems to have a plentiful supply from across the country - today's is on Nottingham council. I do laugh at the fauxrage from the Left over the use of the word Swarm - but handwaving away the most appalling stuff about Jews. Clearly, the wrong sort of minority.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    CD13 said:

Mr Royale,

"Are they doing it in bikinis whilst foam wrestling over the finer points of the debate."

At last, someone nearly as shallow as me. It would be a winner on Sky.

My money would be on Liz. Both are diminutive, but Liz is a fitness freak so should have the core strength to win the foam wrestling while keeping enough breath to win the argument.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

And another one

She resigned.
    Give her credit for that, anyway. The positive side of this is that British Muslims are discovering that their inherited view of the matter is not acceptable to the rest of us.

Yes, but has it changed her opinion, namely, that the "Holocaust .... was a good thing, along with Hitler being "the greatest man in history" ? I haven't spoken to anyone in pub, bus, train, restaurant or street who has so much as hinted that such is their view ....
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

And another one

Odd that the Guardian had the Panama papers to scour through for a year before publication and yet Guido has managed to claim more scalps from trawling old twitter accounts and without losing £millions a year. - theirs a lesson there somewhere. :lol:
  • Options

Sean_F said:

And another one

I'm beginning to wonder how many of these creatures are Labour councillors. Guido seems to have a plentiful supply from across the country - today's is on Nottingham council. I do laugh at the fauxrage from the Left over the use of the word Swarm - but handwaving away the most appalling stuff about Jews. Clearly, the wrong sort of minority.
    There’s some intellectual laziness about I fear; conflating “The Jews” with some at least of the actions of the Israeli government.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995

eon has been accused of being “anti-democratic” by ignoring the result of the independence referendum as she struggled during a live TV debate to reconcile her desire for a rerun with her claim she respects the 2014 result.

Opposition party leaders were enthusiastically applauded and cheered by the audience during the BBC One Scotland showdown at Hopetoun House near Edinburgh as they took turns to round on the First Minister.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/01/nicola-sturgeon-accused-of-being-anti-democratic-over-independen/

Ha Ha Ha for sure neither the writer or yourself saw the assorted bunch of unionist losers avoiding discussing their policies by shouting referendum ad nauseum. That bunch of toothless users could not round on anyone, she swatted them away like the bugs they are. Lots of shouting does not get votes, certain landslide ahead when this is the level of the opposition, they looked inferior in every way.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr Royale,

"Are they doing it in bikinis whilst foam wrestling over the finer points of the debate."

As an enlightened 21st century man I officially disapprove of this line of commentary regarding senior female politicians. But as an anonymous shallow person on the Internet - indeed.

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632

CD13 said:

Mr Royale,

My money would be on Liz. Both are diminutive, but Liz is a fitness freak so should have the core strength to win the foam wrestling while keeping enough breath to win the argument.
    Footy, snooker, foam wrestling. Is there anything that Leicester can't win?
  • Options
    edited May 2016

And another one

Odd that the Guardian had the Panama papers to scour through for a year before publication and yet Guido has managed to claim more scalps from trawling old twitter accounts and without losing £millions a year. - theirs a lesson there somewhere. :lol:
    I am still shocked how un-revealing the Panama Papers actually were. The Australian version of Panorama had some good stories, but in the UK damn squib doesn't even come close to it.

In a way, it was quite positive how few politicians had any offshore interests, even fewer anything dodgy, with this law firm in Panama.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

daodao said:

daodao said:

Indigo said:

daodao said:

I don't support the views of Ken Livingstone or Naz Shah either, but they have a right to express such views and it is self-defeating, particularly for a widely hated minority, to take umbrage at them.
    So Jews are a widely-hated minority, are they? And it is self-defeating of them to take umbrage at those who hate them?

I see.

Substitute "Muslims" in your formulation. Then perhaps you may be able to see how loathsome your statement sounds.
    I can only assume this is a London / English thing. In all my life I have never heard anyone say anything negative about Jews ( apart from on Television ) or for that matter hear much said about them at all. maybe I live a sheltered life but it all seems very odd.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    kle4 said:

daodao said:

Indigo said:

daodao said:

daodao said:

Indigo said:

widely hated ? I doubt 98% of people are remotely interested, widely hated amongst Corbynite leftie nutters, more likely.

What is self-defeating is excusing these sorts of view, it guarantees not getting elected again for the foreseeable future.
    In my personal experience, anti-Semitic views are held by all segments of the population

I have personally heard casually racist remarks from many different people, unmistakably racist as well, not using the word swarm racist, but only once in my life do I recall one of those remarks being anti Semitic, so anecdotally I find it hard to believe.

I also struggle to see the point - if you are right, a majority of people hold a loathsome view and must be challenged.

Being an arsehole should not be against the law, people have the right to be arseholes, but I would hope they would not be allowed to pretend they are not arseholes, for if they hold these sorts of views, that is what they are.
    If daodao has, in his/her experience, seen anti-semitism from all groups, that probably says more about daodao's associations than anything. Fact is that by and large, Jewish culture and attitudes fit very well with established Western society.
  • Options

I can't quite believe what I was hearing on Matthew Wright Show on C5. He is asking the question is Hitler-Gate is all an unfair smear on Labour and him and the whole panel agree it absolutely is.

It was clearly the Tories who forced Ken at gun point to go on and on for 3 days about Hitler.

bizarre. They can't all be labour tribalists who are emotionally hurt by such accusations and lash out, but for all to agree it's a smear is shocking when plenty of labour people do think there's a problem, even if not all think it is a big one.

And another one

Good one!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

And another one

She resigned.
    From the Labour Party, or as a councillor? You would hope the latter....
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259

And another one

I was surprised the Sunday newspapers didn't have scores of examples of this kind of thing. Must be short of interns to look at social media as it's exam time.
  • Options
    The recent survey of British Muslims’ attitudes towards their fellow Jewish citizens is very troubling. One cannot but feel that the failure over time to combat modern-day anti-Semitism by some on the Left has contributed to a climate where it is possible for more than 40 per cent of British Muslims believing Jews have too much power.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/01/the-left-has-toxic-attitudes-to-israel/
  • Options

And another one

I was surprised the Sunday newspapers didn't have scores of examples of this kind of thing. Must be short of interns to look at social media as it's exam time.
    Bank Holiday....
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    kle4 said:

bizarre. They can't all be labour tribalists who are emotionally hurt by such accusations and lash out, but for all to agree it's a smear is shocking when plenty of labour people do think there's a problem, even if not all think it is a big one.

And another one

Good one!
    Perhaps just a good example of group think among metro elites and not wanting to put themselves out on a limb when your living depends on it.

I quite liked the Pledge programme that started on Sky because they actually had a range of people giving their opinion and not all journos i.e. unlike DateLine on BBC which I find predictable and tiresome.
  • Options

kle4 said:

daodao said:

Indigo said:

daodao said:

daodao said:

Indigo said:

If daodao has, in his/her experience, seen anti-semitism from all groups, that probably says more about daodao's associations than anything. Fact is that by and large, Jewish culture and attitudes fit very well with established Western society.
    What's the saying? Run into an arse first thing in the morning, that's just unlucky. Run into arses all day long, odds are you're the arse.

I certainly hope it's not the case such vile thinking is so widespread, we have enough of it as it is.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Cyclefree said:

daodao said:

daodao said:

Indigo said:

daodao said:

So Jews are a widely-hated minority, are they? And it is self-defeating of them to take umbrage at those who hate them?

I see.

Substitute "Muslims" in your formulation. Then perhaps you may be able to see how loathsome your statement sounds.
    I can only assume this is a London / English thing. In all my life I have never heard anyone say anything negative about Jews ( apart from on Television ) or for that matter hear much said about them at all. maybe I live a sheltered life but it all seems very odd.
    Me neither. It's something I thought was dead and gone here.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,711
    malcolmg said:

eon has been accused of being “anti-democratic” by ignoring the result of the independence referendum as she struggled during a live TV debate to reconcile her desire for a rerun with her claim she respects the 2014 result.

Opposition party leaders were enthusiastically applauded and cheered by the audience during the BBC One Scotland showdown at Hopetoun House near Edinburgh as they took turns to round on the First Minister.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/01/nicola-sturgeon-accused-of-being-anti-democratic-over-independen/

Ha Ha Ha for sure neither the writer or yourself saw the assorted bunch of unionist losers avoiding discussing their policies by shouting referendum ad nauseum. That bunch of toothless users could not round on anyone, she swatted them away like the bugs they are. Lots of shouting does not get votes, certain landslide ahead when this is the level of the opposition, they looked inferior in every way.
    I knew we could rely on you for an objective analysis.....
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
  • Options
    Dixie said:

Jeez - what a load of rubbish!
  • Options
    But Labour’s former communications director Tom Baldwin revealed yesterday that Mr Miliband had intervened personally to prevent Mr Livingstone spouting his bizarre views in the run up to the 2012 mayoral elections when he was the Labour candidate.

He said Mr Livingstone had wanted to publish his theories about the Nazis in his autobiography, ‘You can’t say that’.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3568658/Red-Ed-slapped-Ken-Hitler-Miliband-banned-former-London-mayor-publishing-views-autobiography.html
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Dixie said:

Jeez - what a load of rubbish!
    Dixie s convinced zac is going to win. Enough said. Friendly though.
  • Options
    Times reporting it was McIRA on manoeuvres that pushed for the independent inquiry into anti-semitism.

Not surprised - Hamas et al are Jezzbollah's mates, not his.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

I would not trust any of the opposition up here to run a bath never mind a country. It really was an unequal discussion, a giant against a bunch of pygmies, very depressing and unhealthy for the country that there is no opposition whatsoever.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259
    dr_spyn said:
    What time is Ken on live TV to defend this Nottingham chap? I am ready with my popcorn and my modern history books.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Cyclefree said:

daodao said:

daodao said:

Indigo said:

daodao said:

I see.

I’ve heard the odd comment, (and, when I was very young and knew no better, made one or two, I’m sorry to say) but then during my life I’ve heard odd comments about all sorts of groups, racial or otherwise. Most of the pejorative “racial” comments round here are about gipsies or “travellers”.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Cyclefree said:

daodao said:

daodao said:

Indigo said:

daodao said:

I see.

Me neither. It's something I thought was dead and gone here.

If only ...

http://www.may2015.com/ideas/the-british-are-open-to-a-jewish-pm-but-ukippers-are-less-welcoming-than-others/
  • Options
    daodaodaodao Posts: 821
    Kle4 stated:

"Well that's depressing and alarming if it is even half true.

Being an arsehole should not be against the law, people have the right to be arseholes, but I would hope they would not be allowed to pretend they are not arseholes, for if they hold these sorts of views, that is what they are."

------------

Sadly, I have heard/observed many such comments over the years. The worst was on 27th January 2015 (now designated as Holocaust memorial day in the UK), when I had to listen to several anti-Semitic comments from a taxi driver on a 20 mile journey. He had the radio on and Ed Miliband was speaking about remembering those of his relatives who had died. Judging from some of the taxi driver's other views, he was unlikely to have been a supporter of the Labour party. I asked him to clarify his views, but it was hardly a situation where I could challenge them.

Surveys have shown that the percentage of individuals holding such views in the UK is about 10%, but at least it is not as high as in most of Europe, yet alone the Muslim world.
  • Options
    Mr. Urquhart, not seen the Pledge, but agree on Dateline London (which also sounds like it belongs on a more adult channel).
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Times reporting it was McIRA on manoeuvres that pushed for the independent inquiry into anti-semitism.

Not surprised - Hamas et al are Jezzbollah's mates, not his.

But that's a revolution that may well come back to bite McDonnell as well.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325

I'd abolish one of the May Bank holidays and replace it with a Waterloo Day on June the 18th.

Would be a tribute to our victory over the French, it would also be a tribute to European Unity, it would also double as a tribute to ABBA as only songs by them would be allowed to be played on Waterloo day.

What's not to love ?

If Leave win we should make it 23rd June - Independence Day or Freedom Day

we can have fireworks and burn effigies of Dave.
    Would Leavers plan annual parades every year past Remainers homes on that day reminding them that they lost? Would they also be wearing bowler hats too?
    sounds an excellent idea, book it in. We'll paint your door traitor's white so we know when to trample on your marigolds.
    I'll do a thread this weekend comparing Leavers to the Orange Order.

Seems only fair, I did compare Leavers to the IRA last weekend.
    "TSE is the biggest bastard we have ever known!" - :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    Mr. Hopkins, if Corbyn went then McDonnell would need 35 odd MPs to back his candidacy, wouldn't he?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

And another one

I would guess that about 50% of Labour's councillors had become councillors in the past 5 years. Vetting problems and the shift to a muslim councillor base will create these conditions.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Nottingham Councillor suspended.

ttps://twitter.com/cllrjoncollins/status/727064312733380608

That's how to do it.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Cyclefree said:

daodao said:

daodao said:

Indigo said:

daodao said:

I see.

I’ve heard the odd comment, (and, when I was very young and knew no better, made one or two, I’m sorry to say) but then during my life I’ve heard odd comments about all sorts of groups, racial or otherwise. Most of the pejorative “racial” comments round here are about gipsies or “travellers”.

Stamford Bridge will not be a pleasant place to be Jewish tonight, which is very ironic given who owns Chelsea.

• Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Mr. Hopkins, if Corbyn went then McDonnell would need 35 odd MPs to back his candidacy, wouldn't he?

Indeed. He is not automatically on the ballot, only the existing leader.

• Options

IIRC Tony made May 1st a bank holiday, but that's it.

No, it was James Callaghan in 1978.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Cyclefree said:

daodao said:

daodao said:

Indigo said:

daodao said:

I see.

Stamford Bridge will not be a pleasant place to be Jewish tonight, which is very ironic given who owns Chelsea.

That’s true, although by no means all, or even the majority of Spurs supporters are!
  • Options

Sean_F said:

And another one

I would guess that about 50% of Labour's councillors had become councillors in the past 5 years. Vetting problems and the shift to a muslim councillor base will create these conditions.
    Guido's elves love this sort of digging too. He's built the most enormous influence base and business from this stuff. No one is immune from it. I remember the day he was cockahoop about getting a mention on Drudge Report many years ago - who mentions that now? Is it still going?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Guy the Forks opening up a second front.
    https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/727054879768870912
    I blame Len McCluskey!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

I would not trust any of the opposition up here to run a bath never mind a country. It really was an unequal discussion, a giant against a bunch of pygmies, very depressing and unhealthy for the country that there is no opposition whatsoever.
    To be honest I thought the whole thing was pretty uninspiring including Nicola. Kezia looked and sounded largely glaikit, Harvie was just infuriatingly stupid, Rennie was dull and pointless, Ruth struggled to get her say with people consistently talking over her and Nicola seemed to think that every attack on her policies was some form of personal insult.

It is indeed depressing that this is apparently the best that Scotland can offer.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

And another one

Guido's elves love this sort of digging too. He's built the most enormous influence base and business from this stuff. No one is immune from it. I remember the day he was cockahoop about getting a mention on Drudge Report many years ago - who mentions that now? Is it still going?
    I dunno! i still dip into the Drudge Report from time to time, especially around election time.
  • Options
    According to Andrew Neil, the European Commission is about to make a proposal which may not necessarily be to Remain's advantage:
    https://twitter.com/afneil/status/727047472254705664
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632
    Meanwhile, Donald has decided to tone down the rhetoric...

'Trump accuses China of 'raping' US with unfair trade policy'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2016-36185012

George Osborne won't be happy.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Cyclefree said:

daodao said:

daodao said:

Indigo said:

daodao said:

I see.

The kind of people who think that is funny or even a good topic for a wind up are literally beyond my comprehension. What are they thinking? It is insane.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Meanwhile, Donald has decided to tone down the rhetoric...

'Trump accuses China of 'raping' US with unfair trade policy'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2016-36185012

George Osborne won't be happy.

Trump’s got a bit of a thing about America being raped, hasn’t he. Last week it was Mexicans. IIRC.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596

Sean_F said:

And another one

much as his followers appear to be fairly loathsome types (judging by the below the line comments, which I generally avoid these days), he seems to be successful in setting the media agenda, which maybe makes him more influential than the newspapers following up his digging.

• Options

Morning all. This headline from the Guardian caught my eye for some reason...

'Liz Kendall challenges Priti Patel to EU debate at their old school'

Finally, a contest that Liz could win.
    "No, the country EU comes first!"
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Sean_F said:

And another one

much as his followers appear to be fairly loathsome types (judging by the below the line comments, which I generally avoid these days), he seems to be successful in setting the media agenda, which maybe makes him more influential than the newspapers following up his digging.

This is worth listening to...

http://www.mediafocus.org.uk/paul-staines

It is Staines in business mode, not "Guido" character, stick dildo's up your arse mode. He is smart, well connected and knows what he is doing when it comes to this. You might not like him or his methods, but a bit like the Mail or Sun they are effective and make money at it.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

Cyclefree said:

daodao said:

daodao said:

Indigo said:

daodao said:

I see.

The kind of people who think that is funny or even a good topic for a wind up are literally beyond my comprehension. What are they thinking? It is insane.
    During the worst of the recession London area “fans” apparently used to wave £20 notes at, especially, Liverpool ones.
    And have you ever actually heard the words to the London football version of “In my Liverpool Home”?
  • Options

MikeK said:

Good morning all.

Jim Callaghan, 1978.
  • Options

MikeK said:

Good morning all.

Jim Callaghan, 1978.
    True Tory, getting it wrong!
  • Options

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

Cyclefree said:

daodao said:

daodao said:

Indigo said:

daodao said:

I see.

During the worst of the recession London area “fans” apparently used to wave £20 notes at, especially, Liverpool ones.
    And have you ever actually heard the words to the London football version of “In my Liverpool Home”?
    No, not sure I want to either. Anyway Liverpool fans are all saints. Its official, confirmed by an Inquiry and everything.
  • Options
    I'm shocked, I tell yer

Andrew Neil
    European Commission to propose visa liberalisation for Turkey even though it's failed to meet significant benchmarks it was meant to meet.

What were some of us saying yesterday?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756

I'd abolish one of the May Bank holidays and replace it with a Waterloo Day on June the 18th.

Would be a tribute to our victory over the French, it would also be a tribute to European Unity, it would also double as a tribute to ABBA as only songs by them would be allowed to be played on Waterloo day.

What's not to love ?

If Leave win we should make it 23rd June - Independence Day or Freedom Day

we can have fireworks and burn effigies of Dave.
    Would Leavers plan annual parades every year past Remainers homes on that day reminding them that they lost? Would they also be wearing bowler hats too?
    sounds an excellent idea, book it in. We'll paint your door traitor's white so we know when to trample on your marigolds.
    I'll do a thread this weekend comparing Leavers to the Orange Order.

Seems only fair, I did compare Leavers to the IRA last weekend.
    "TSE is the biggest bastard we have ever known!" - :lol::lol::lol:
    TSE = traitorous spineless Europhile :-)

Be Leave ! :-)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

According to Andrew Neil, the European Commission is about to make a proposal which may not necessarily be to Remain's advantage:

Leave just need the EU to make one "are they f*cking insane???" moment that cuts through to those not paying attention. Preferably on immigration/free movement. Remain have shown that they can't come up with arguments to show why the EU is worth persevering with. Their hysteria after taking a real punch to the chin will be a wonder to behold...
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,394

Leave just need the EU to make one "are they f*cking insane???" moment that cuts through to those not paying attention. Preferably on immigration/free movement. Remain have shown that they can't come up with arguments to show why the EU is worth persevering with. Their hysteria after taking a real punch to the chin will be a wonder to behold...
    That will come this Summer. After we've voted.

Plenty of people who reluctantly vote Remain are going to regret it in months.
  • Options

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

Cyclefree said:

daodao said:

daodao said:

Indigo said:

daodao said:

I see.

It was also sung during the non recession late 80's and it wasn't 'Liverpool home' either.

• Options

MikeK said:

Good morning all.

Jim Callaghan, 1978.
    Indeed - Tories are ALWAYS wrong...
  • Options

Make allowances: From what I've seen on C5 quite a lot of the people on it have quite a job not pronouncing Three and 'Free. Pooh Bear may be not many steps behind many of them:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/f0/f0/2f/f0f02f7a70a8724176be2124963a16cf.jpg
  • Options

Make allowances: From what I've seen on C5 quite a lot of the people on it have quite a job not pronouncing Three and 'Free. Pooh Bear may be not many steps behind many of them:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/f0/f0/2f/f0f02f7a70a8724176be2124963a16cf.jpg
    Firty-free fevvers on a frushes froat? Or firty fousand fevvers on a frush?
  • Options

YouGov have Leave with a 20% lead

Excluding don't knows and wouldn't votes Leave has a 20 point lead over Remain in a hypothetical referendum on Britain's membership of the Eurovision Song Contest

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/05/02/eurovision-referendum-leave-lead-20/

Actually, when it comes to Eurovision, I'm a Remainer for the shits & giggles. Albeit i wish we didn't pay quite so much money into it.

It's absolutely hilarious, each and every year, and continually reminds me why I'm an EU Leaver.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

MikeK said:

Good morning all.

Jim Callaghan, 1978.
    Indeed - Tories are ALWAYS wrong...
    This is RUBBISH. Tory and Labour two sides of the same coin, with the L/Dems and Greens milling round the edge. Not only that but UKIP have a hole in the middle which needs filling.
  • Options
    edited May 2016

Bit harsh on Pooh Bear there....he was quite philosophical in a head made of fluff kind of way, unlike most of the Wright Stuff panel...
  • Options
    Indigo said:

On topic I reckon The Times will back Remain eventually.

Least worst option and all that jazz, think of the economy.

Mail, Express, Sun will be for Leave. The Telegraph will say on balance we should Leave.

Guardian, FT and Independent will be strongly for Remain. Times a qualified Remain.

Sunday Times may well be neutral.

I don't know about The Mirror. Could be neutral but suspect it will be Remain in the end if Labour and the TUC are - it's a nodding donkey.
    Economist - Very very remain
    Staggers - Remain
    Kiptator - Leave
    I'm a Spectator subscriber.

Spectator will go all the way to Leave without actually saying it IMHO.

It's editor, Fraser Nelson, is a Remainer but most of its journalists and readers are Leavers.
This discussion has been closed.