Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

124»

Comments

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,468
    I kind of miss Ed Miliband
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited April 2016

Not as much as I miss your ELBOW.
  • Options

He should have done a Kinnock, and stayed on and fought two general election campaigns as Leader.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,142

The Left's identity policies began in the 1980s when they aimed for a 'rainbow coalition' of non-whites, homosexuals, greens, feminists, 'youths' etc to defeat the 'mainstream' Conservative voting blocs in middle suburban London.

I thought it was later than that, when they started copying the Democratic Party (basically post-Bill Clinton). In the 1980s they were still trying to protect duff industries and thuggish union leaders.
    The 'rainbow alliance' leftist strategy certainly started in London during the 1980s and was widely ridiculed as the 'looney left'.

An immediate consequence of it was to drive London's then wwc voters to the Conservatives in 1987 -15,000 Con maj in Ealing North, 7,000 Con maj in Edmonton, 6,000 Con maj in Hayes for example.

As a result of demographic change the 'rainbow alliance / looney left' is now able to dominate London.

But what we might see is the consequence of a 'rainbow alliance / looney left' Labour controlled London having the same effect on the wwc in middle England as it did on the wwc of Ealing North, Edmonton and Hayes in 1987.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,995

He should have done a Kinnock, and stayed on and fought two general election campaigns as Leader.
    He was alright.........

I'll get my coat.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    edited April 2016
    snipped

I'm sorry to say I turned a rather unenthusiastic voter into a 'Won't vote at all' last week.

A casual chat ... a remark that my own area has no local elections, only elections for the PCC ... a more thorough perusal of what her own voting card actually said ... and it was "Oh, ours isn't a local election either, I won't bother at all then".
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,175

The British people passed their judgement on Ed as PM and he took the hint, Corbyn has at least enthused the base, Ed neither enthused the base nor swing voters in the middle
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,445
    RobD said:

He was alright.........

I'll get my coat.
    Apres moi le deluge, never looked more appropriate.

• Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

His semen lives on
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The British people passed their judgement on Ed as PM and he took the hint, Corbyn has at least enthused the base, Ed neither enthused the base nor swing voters in the middle
    "base" - You're obviously talking about instincts not political nous
  • Options

HYUFD said:

The Left is enthusiastically behind Corbyn in a way they were not for Ed M
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,609
    edited April 2016
    RobD said:

He was alright.........

I'll get my coat.
    We might be getting an AV related thread on Sunday.

Though I suspect this might be the worst weekend ever to prepare threads in advance, two have already been culled.

#ThanksJez
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited April 2016
    John Pienaar — Labour source: "outside London it's looking dire".
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Is that a plus?
  • Options

The Left's identity policies began in the 1980s when they aimed for a 'rainbow coalition' of non-whites, homosexuals, greens, feminists, 'youths' etc to defeat the 'mainstream' Conservative voting blocs in middle suburban London.

I thought it was later than that, when they started copying the Democratic Party (basically post-Bill Clinton). In the 1980s they were still trying to protect duff industries and thuggish union leaders.
    The 'rainbow alliance' leftist strategy certainly started in London during the 1980s and was widely ridiculed as the 'looney left'.

An immediate consequence of it was to drive London's then wwc voters to the Conservatives in 1987 -15,000 Con maj in Ealing North, 7,000 Con maj in Edmonton, 6,000 Con maj in Hayes for example.

As a result of demographic change the 'rainbow alliance / looney left' is now able to dominate London.

But what we might see is the consequence of a 'rainbow alliance / looney left' Labour controlled London having the same effect on the wwc in middle England as it did on the wwc of Ealing North, Edmonton and Hayes in 1987.

Loony left in action at the 1986 local elections:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyeuTRjnvlE
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    edited April 2016
    Ken Livingstone was editor of Labour Herald in 1982, when it published a cartoon of Menachem Begin as an SS officer https://t.co/vFxEc5zV64

Ken reportedly personally insisted on publishing the cartoon, with a Star of David replacing the swastika. He later refused to apologise.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Does anybody on hear have any perditions/thoughts about the Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) elections?

I don't have any inside knowledge, but 2 thoughts,

1. Turnout is likely to be higher, even in the areas that don't have other elections going on, because of the increased publicity of the other elections.

2. There seem to be more LibDem, UKIP and green candidates this time, which might reduce the vote of independent candidates.

If I where to guess I should think Tory and Labour each pick up a few PCCs from independent.
  • Options
    I've been away but then so has Ken. My fairies were real.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    BigRich said:

Does anybody on hear have any perditions/thoughts about the Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC) elections?

1. Turnout is likely to be higher, even in the areas that don't have other elections going on, because of the increased publicity of the other elections.

2. There seem to be more LibDem, UKIP and green candidates this time, which might reduce the vote of independent candidates.

If I where to guess I should think Tory and Labour each pick up a few PCCs from independent.

I was getting the sense that Independents might actually get a head of steam and take more seats...
  • Options

RobD said:

He was alright.........

I'll get my coat.
    We might be getting an AV related thread on Sunday.

Though I suspect this might be the worst weekend ever to prepare threads in advance, two have already been culled.

#ThanksJez
    Sunil J. Prasannan is calling for a total and complete shut-down of AV Threads entering PB.com, until our forum's representatives can figure out what the hell is going on!
  • Options
    BigRich said:

It would be difficult for it to be any lower than last time, just 11% in some places. Not sure how independents will do compared to previously.
  • Options
    Won't someone spare a thought for the YIDS?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Is that a plus?
    And they alienate the main stream. If I was a mainstream soft left politically aware voter/soft left labour activist I would be utterly mortified over the last few days.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    BigRich said:

Not insider knowledge, culled from media, but 2 points I found interesting:

1. Present PCC very recently resigned from Conservative party & said he believed the PCC elections should not be party-political ones.

2. Lib Dem candidate (former MP Richard Younger-Ross) said he wanted to abolish the role of PCC altogether.
  • Options
    notme said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Is that a plus?
    And they alienate the main stream. If I was a mainstream soft left politically aware voter/soft left labour activist I would be utterly mortified over the last few days.
    Are you such an activist?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Not as much as I miss your ELBOW.
    Just for you - 12 months ago today:

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/594276237624942592
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    notme said:

BigRich said:

I was getting the sense that Independents might actually get a head of steam and take more seats...
    Last time there where 12 independent PCCs (16 Con and 13 Lab)

I haven't heard of any independent PCC campaign picking up momentum, but that does not mean there aren't any.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

If Labour are lucky they will get absolutely hammered next week and thus precipitate the coup that needs to happen.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Is that a plus?
    With UKIP starting to eat into the Tory vote it is, I doubt Corbyn will win but hung parliament territory in 2020 is very likely
  • Options
    Martin Daubney
    "Jeremy Corby's chief of staff" >> https://t.co/eFklP0zCrM
  • Options
  • Options

AndyJS said:

If Labour are lucky they will get absolutely hammered next week and thus precipitate the coup that needs to happen.
    If Khan wins, as is likely, that will overshadow any council losses and Corbyn will be safe
  • Options

Martin Daubney
    "Jeremy Corby's chief of staff" >> https://t.co/eFklP0zCrM

Pass the popcorn. I can barely wait for Sunday's papers.
  • Options
    Nothing much has changed since I've been away but I understand why no one has noticed. Yids seem an easy target but I hope they're not lying down. I think not.
  • Options

notme said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Is that a plus?
    Are you such an activist?
    No but I've seen the equivalent on my own side. Ukip has become a gigantic retirement home for them. Once Cameron legalised gay marriage they just upsticked and left.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    MTimT said:

AndyJS said:

rcs1000 said:

This is a fascinating article on American economic insecurity:
    http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/05/my-secret-shame/476415/

Difficult to feel a lot of sympathy for the writer since he admits spending $401k on his daughter's wedding. I'm sure most people would like to spend $401k on their child's wedding but they don't because they can't afford it.
    Dunno if anyone else has already corrected you ... 401(k) is the American pensions account. Still, crazy to spend your pension fund on your daughter's wedding!

(Can't say I have lots of sympathy either, I save like mad due to health/disability issues meaning I never really know if I'm on the brink of being unable to work for a couple of years, as happens periodically. I've never felt comfortable unless I had enough cash readily accessible in the bank to pay my bills for 6 months, and preferably a year, without eating into long run savings and investments. If I was subject to the US system of gigantic medical bills that could fall on my head at random, I think I'd be even more cautious. But if all UK consumers scrimped and saved and generally behaved the way I do, it would screw the economy up royally.)
    It said 'a small 401(k)', not 'our' or 'the'. Most Americans who have changed job regularly probably have multiple 401(k)s. It is not efficient to use pension funding in this way for larger or unexpected but necessary expenses, but it is not uncommon practice to do so.

Culturally, for someone as prominent as the author, it would be difficult not to have a decent wedding for your daughter, even if it meant cashing out a small fund.
    That's a very fair point. I hadn't wanted to suggest he blew all his pension savings on it (rather, intended that he was "spending from the pot") but it doesn't read right in retrospect.

I do wonder how self-employed Americans organise themselves with pensions and medical insurance, and how many scrimp on those things to an extent that is unwise. I wonder whether the major role of your employer in those aspects of life in America is a contributor to their low self-employment rate.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

If Khan wins, as is likely, that will overshadow any council losses and Corbyn will be safe
    Well, that's Labour's problem then. I will simply restock up on the old popcorn.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Well, that's Labour's problem then. I will simply restock up on the old popcorn.
    By then the attention will all be on EU ref
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    "EU Referendum: Poll shows Britain split 50/50 - but higher turnout among older voters could tip country into Brexit

Given a straight choice, 50 per cent of people said Britain should leave and 50 per cent that it should remain. But when the findings were weighted to take account of people’s likelihood to vote, the result changed to 51 per cent for Leave and 49 per cent for Remain."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-poll-shows-britain-split-5050-but-higher-turnout-among-older-voters-could-tip-country-a7007541.html
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    The below the line stuff is quite incredible. So many conspiracies. So little evidence.

If that reflects the membership, Labour really is finished.
  • Options

MTimT said:

AndyJS said:

rcs1000 said:

This is a fascinating article on American economic insecurity:
    http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/05/my-secret-shame/476415/

Difficult to feel a lot of sympathy for the writer since he admits spending $401k on his daughter's wedding. I'm sure most people would like to spend $401k on their child's wedding but they don't because they can't afford it.
    Dunno if anyone else has already corrected you ... 401(k) is the American pensions account. Still, crazy to spend your pension fund on your daughter's wedding!

(
    It said 'a small 401(k)', not 'our' or 'the'. Most Americans who have changed job regularly probably have multiple 401(k)s. It is not efficient to use pension funding in this way for larger or unexpected but necessary expenses, but it is not uncommon practice to do so.

Culturally, for someone as prominent as the author, it would be difficult not to have a decent wedding for your daughter, even if it meant cashing out a small fund.
    That's a very fair point. I hadn't wanted to suggest he blew all his pension savings on it (rather, intended that he was "spending from the pot") but it doesn't read right in retrospect.

I do wonder how self-employed Americans organise themselves with pensions and medical insurance, and how many scrimp on those things to an extent that is unwise. I wonder whether the major role of your employer in those aspects of life in America is a contributor to their low self-employment rate.
    Medicare is pretty comprehensive for over 65s.
  • Options
    I was always REMAIN until I realised they're are more arseholes on REMAIN than LEAVE. The more I think about it, the bigger the arseholes get.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

"EU Referendum: Poll shows Britain split 50/50 - but higher turnout among older voters could tip country into Brexit

Given a straight choice, 50 per cent of people said Britain should leave and 50 per cent that it should remain. But when the findings were weighted to take account of people’s likelihood to vote, the result changed to 51 per cent for Leave and 49 per cent for Remain."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-poll-shows-britain-split-5050-but-higher-turnout-among-older-voters-could-tip-country-a7007541.html

In a ray of hope for the In camp, more people (46 per cent) agreed that “the risks of leaving the EU outweigh the benefits of Brexit,” than disagreed (35 per cent). http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/eu-referendum-poll-shows-britain-split-5050-but-higher-turnout-among-older-voters-could-tip-country-a7007541.html
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

No it won't. The focus is now on the internal squabbles ripping apart the Labour Party - Khan winning is merely a sideshow. Bad for London, but a sideshow in the unfolding comedy-drama that is Corbyn's Labour.

Though some might prefer to view it as a Tragedy.
  • Options
    Sometimes you really have to hit rock bottom before a recovery can begin. So it may prove with the Labour party and the calamitous leadership of the inept Jeremy Corbyn and his hard left pals. Accidentally, Livingstone took the party to its lowest point, with weird comments about Hitler and anti-Semitism.
    http://capx.co/ken-livingstone-has-given-labour-its-best-day-since-corbyn-was-elected/
  • Options

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

No it won't. The focus is now on the internal squabbles ripping apart the Labour Party - Khan winning is merely a sideshow. Bad for London, but a sideshow in the unfolding comedy-drama that is Corbyn's Labour.

Yes and the PLP will be unlikely to be able to strike the killer blow as it is, let alone if Labour win the mayoral election. Post EU ref the Tories will also be divided, especially if a narrow Remain
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Yes and the PLP will be unlikely to be able to strike the killer blow as it is, let alone if Labour win the mayoral election. Post EU ref the Tories will also be divided, especially if a narrow Remain
    London is a sideshow
  • Options

Sometimes you really have to hit rock bottom before a recovery can begin. So it may prove with the Labour party and the calamitous leadership of the inept Jeremy Corbyn and his hard left pals. Accidentally, Livingstone took the party to its lowest point, with weird comments about Hitler and anti-Semitism.
    http://capx.co/ken-livingstone-has-given-labour-its-best-day-since-corbyn-was-elected/

I don't believe they have hit rock bottom yet. They are getting close - but there is more to come.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

London is a sideshow
    No, London is the biggest result next Thursday, even more so than Scotland
  • Options
    Does anybody have the link to the spreadsheet of Republican Primaries that Rod Crosby created?

If so please could they share it,
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

The PLP are spineless and weak. They had a chance when it came to deciding whether or not to serve in the Shadow team and too many of them said yes - when they could have stood firm and refused to serve someone so manifestly unfit to lead a national party (no matter the size of his mandate)

If the end comes for Corbyn, I suspect it will be either ill health or someone very close to him.

McDonnell has been on the move for weeks - that is where the threat to Corbyn really lies. And it would still be calamitous for Labour.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,061
    notme said:

BigRich said:

I hope so, although I'd heard quite a few of the existing Indys aren't standing again,M which might make things harder.

Personally as there're no Indys in my area if I don't spoil my ballot I'll vote for whoever is in favour of abolishing the post.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,791

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

The PLP are spineless and weak.
    While the 'Discipline John Mann MP Petition goes from strength to strength:

https://www.change.org/p/jeremy-corbyn-mp-disciplinary-procedure-for-john-mann-mp

Signatories doubled to nearly 13,000 in 12 hours.....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

London is a sideshow
    It's a foregone conclusion so unimportan unless it's not foregone !!!
  • Options
    edited April 2016

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

The PLP are spineless and weak. They had a chance when it came to deciding whether or not to serve in the Shadow team and too many of them said yes - when they could have stood firm and refused to serve someone so manifestly unfit to lead a national party (no matter the size of his mandate)

If the end comes for Corbyn, I suspect it will be either ill health or someone very close to him.

McDonnell has been on the move for weeks - that is where the threat to Corbyn really lies. And it would still be calamitous for Labour.
    McDonnell is the most likely replacement I agree, much as Michael Howard was the only viable alternative to IDS. Howard of course won over 30 seats with Labour divided over Iraq and losing votes to the LDs, I would not rule out McDonnell making some gains in 2020 either with the Tories divided over Europe and losing voters to UKIP, he will not win but the leader after probably will, Chuka Umunna could well be Labour's Cameron
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,061
    edited April 2016

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

I think your view is a bit optimistic personally. There'll be a furore leading up to the locals, where bad results have been trailed, and Khan is going to thrash zac. It doesn't make Corbyn safe but it is a life preserver, and then the inquiry will tumble on, the juiciest bits of anti Semitic bike will dry up, and they'll stumble on, especially as Tory civil war makes another play for attention no doubt.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

London is a sideshow
    London has a bigger population than Scotland and the Mayor has the largest direct mandate in the UK
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

McDonnell is the most likely replacement I agree, much as Michael Howard was the only viable alternative to IDS. Howard of course won over 30 seats with Labour divided over Iraq and losing votes to the LDs, I would not rule out McDonnell making some gains in 2020 either with the Tories divided over Europe and losing voters to UKIP, he will not win but the leader after probably will, Chuka Umunna could well be Labour's Cameron
    Does anyone believe that McDonnell is a disaster for anyone other than McDonnell?
  • Options
    edited April 2016

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Does anyone believe that McDonnell is a disaster for anyone other than McDonnell?
    Labour is presently polling around 30-33%, Howard got 32% in 2005 so if McDonnell does the same with the Tories divided over Europe and losing votes to UKIP he does not need to make mass conversions to gain some seats. Goodnight
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

I don't believe they have hit rock bottom yet. They are getting close - but there is more to come.

Hard to imagine, but still the hard left are nothing but batshite crazy
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

The PLP are spineless and weak.
    While the 'Discipline John Mann MP Petition goes from strength to strength:

https://www.change.org/p/jeremy-corbyn-mp-disciplinary-procedure-for-john-mann-mp

Signatories doubled to nearly 13,000 in 12 hours.....
    The author of the petition seems to think Ken is an MP, which he hasn't been since 2001.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Does anybody have the link to the spreadsheet of Republican Primaries that Rod Crosby created?

This is the link but it looks like it might not be public at the moment:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MHRYdL8Lw3L6OXiHnKZHi1vo6vUblQhuKg7FPDFuuQ0/edit#gid=0
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

London is a sideshow
    Aren't they both pretty much foregone conclusions?......so much so, the excitement in Scotland is over 'who'll come second.....' and for all Labour's recent travails, I doubt it will have much impact on Khan, who is neither Corbyn nor Livingstone....
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

BigRich said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MHRYdL8Lw3L6OXiHnKZHi1vo6vUblQhuKg7FPDFuuQ0/edit#gid=0
    Thanks, and yes it wont let me see it at the moment?
  • Options
    BigRich said:

AndyJS said:

BigRich said:

Rod hasn't been around on here for a few days.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

BigRich said:

AndyJS said:

BigRich said:

Rod hasn't been around on here for a few days.
    Been washing his Lederhosen?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Ken Livingstone was editor of Labour Herald in 1982, when it published a cartoon of Menachem Begin as an SS officer https://t.co/vFxEc5zV64

Ken reportedly personally insisted on publishing the cartoon, with a Star of David replacing the swastika. He later refused to apologise.

Is this by any chance the same Menachem Begin, leader of Irgun, which blew up the King David Hotel in Jerusalem killing 108 British soldiers ?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Is this by any chance the same Menachem Begin, leader of Irgun, which blew up the King David Hotel in Jerusalem killing 108 British soldiers ?
    Does that make him a Nazi?
  • Options

surbiton said:

And when did I say that ? You are into subtle character assassination, aren't you ? By deliberately digressing from what I actually wrote.

Menachem Begin was the leader of Irgun, a terrorist organisation, which blew up King David Hotel killing mostly British servicemen.

Which part of the above sentence do you not agree ?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

And when did I say that ? You are into subtle character assassination, aren't you ? By deliberately digressing from what I actually wrote.

Menachem Begin was the leader of Irgun, a terrorist organisation, which blew up King David Hotel killing mostly British servicemen.

What has any of that got to do with Livingstone publishing a cartoon of Begin as a Nazi?

Which was what you were replying to.

I'm not the one 'deliberately digressing'......
  • Options

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

What has any of that got to do with Livingstone publishing a cartoon of Begin as a Nazi?

You seem to have difficulty accepting that Begin and the Irgun were terrorists. Because the other guys are the terrorists.

Yet they didn't kill British servicemen, the Irgun did. Just like the Palestinians did not kill 6 million Jews. Europeans did. The Palestinians are only paying the price because the allies did nothing while 6 million were killed.

• Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

You seem to have difficulty accepting that Begin and the Irgun were terrorists. Because the other guys are the terrorists.

Yet they didn't kill British servicemen, the Irgun did. Just like the Palestinians did not kill 6 million Jews. Europeans did. The Palestinians are only paying the price because the allies did nothing while 6 million were killed.

I have made no comment on whether Begin was a terrorist or a freedom fighter....but to repeat my point - your defence of Livingstone publishing Begin as an SS Officer and equating the state of Israel with the Nazis, is that Begin blew up the King David Hotel, which looks like digressing to me.....

And now you are blaming the Allies who 'did nothing' for what the Nazis did......
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    BigRich said:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MHRYdL8Lw3L6OXiHnKZHi1vo6vUblQhuKg7FPDFuuQ0/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=184807879

He has written on the spreadsheet "Looks like I've been prophylactically banned from PB." :neutral:
This discussion has been closed.