Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

1235»

Comments

• Options

SeanT said:

If Labour allow this anti-semitism thing to become a battleground between the Corbynite left and Blairite right then I think it could see the end of them, as a serious political force.

Surely they can see the intense peril they now face? This is the Ratnerisation of Labour, times ten.

send Blair to the Hague types in Momentum (which I'd ban).
    Why would ban Labour members that want to send Blair etc to the Hague?
    What kind of ism/ist is that?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    RobD said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

@BBCNewsnight: Coming up on #newsnight TONIGHT - Ken Livingstone tells @johnsweeneyroar: "What I've said is historically true"
    https://t.co/WlIbd01vWt

He's going on Newsnight? Really?

What can he possibly say tonight that will make the situation anything other than a whole lot worse?

*runs to shop to replenish popcorn supplies*
    Get it while you can, I've heard rationing is around the corner!
    I was peeved to have missed yesterday with all that happened. Little did I know that that was just the warm up act for the main event today!!
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    taffys said:

''To flip a few comments round the other way, accusations of anti-semitism are deployed to stop any and all negative comments about policies of the state of Israel.''

That is complete and utter total thorough going horsesh8t of the first order. Goodness me a leftist posted a quote down thread where Israeli politicians (count them) teamed up with Palestinians to criticise their own government.

Want to slate Israel's policies? be my guest. Israelis do it all the time. Why should it stop Britons?

The fact is that some in the labour party don't think Israel has a right to exist. How it ceases to exist doesn't really concern them, it seems.

Many on the Left and some on the right don't think Israel has a right to exist, and that is the nub of the question. Many in the British Foreign Office believe it to this day.

Don't forget it was a British Labour government that after the Second World War, incarcerated and sent Jews back to concentration camps in Europe or to camps in Cyprus, when caught as illegal immigrants attempting to enter Mandated Palestine, which was their only hope of starting a new life.

Someone said on PB that many people can't stand it that the Jews have a state, at all. And the fact that these same Jews can actually defend themselves causes them to froth at the mouth.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @citizen_sane: "Crisis? What crisis?" says Corbyn, dunking a crisis biscuit into his crisis tea sitting on a crisis chair under a big sign saying 'Crisis'.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290

Scott_P said:

@BBCNewsnight: Coming up on #newsnight TONIGHT - Ken Livingstone tells @johnsweeneyroar: "What I've said is historically true"
    https://t.co/WlIbd01vWt

I'm beginning to have a scintilla of sympathy for Jeremy Corbyn.
    Sympthy for Jezza, can be found in the OED, between shit and syphilis. He did appoint Milne to be his media minder.
  • Options

NEW THREAD NEW THREAD

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,057
    I like the comment that I’ve just seen from Bernie Sanders
    "We have a situation now where Wall Street banks are not only too big to fail, they are too big to jail. That is unacceptable and that has got to change because America is based on a system of law and justice.”

Doesn’t the same apply here? When did we last see a big tax evader being taken from a dock to prison?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800

Regarding the OP did this research ensure that a representative number of Islamic voters were included in the survey or somehow control for this? Voters are far more likely to be led by social background than the political parties they identify with on this question. Lumping all Labour voters together doesn't tell us anything particularly interesting here. Lumping all Islamic or C2DEs together might.

They were very careful to include the appropriate number of Lemons..

Who the hell cares?

The main issue is that people answer in the first place rather than bang the questioner on the nose.

Change Jews for 'Christians', 'Muslims', 'Jedi Knights'. Oh, sorry, and 'Lemons'.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    CD13 said:

Mr Pioneers,

It's no secret that many Muslims have no fondness for Jews. Many of the Pakistani ones are not too keen on the Indians either. Now throw into the mix a good dollop of homophobia and misogyny in some cases and Labour will struggle to work out how to keep all of them onside.

It takes the old political trick of saying different things to different audiences. I don't think Sadiq is particularly Islamist at all, but he feels the need to be a politician. At least he's come out this time in one corner. Mind you, I suspect he has a lot of the Muslim sewn up anyway.

Ken and possibly Naz were less politician-ish and said what they probably think. Naz is still an amateur and Ken's stopped bothering. I doubt it's a conspiracy.

While UKIP seems to harbour more anti-semites than Labour, or indeed other parties, there are degrees of anti-semitism. Not wanting Jews in a golf club etc is not in the same league as the anti-semitism of the Islamists who want Israel wiped off the map, etc.

The other "socially conservative" views of fundamentalists are equally repellent and incompatable with a Labour party that supports the rights of women, LBGT people and other minorities. Why so many on the hard left tolerate such beliefs escapes me.
This discussion has been closed.