Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Speedy

'Livingstone is a done issue though, the talking subject is Mann.'

Not just Mann, although he is the chair of the All-Party Parliamentary Group on anti-semitism.

The list of Labour figures calling for Livingstone’s suspension are:

Sadiq Khan, London Mayor candidate

Seema Malhotra, Shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury

Lucy Powell, Shadow Education Secretary

Luciana Berger, Shadow Minister for Mental Health

Chris Bryant, Shadow Leader of the Commons

Carwyn Jones AM, Welsh Labour leader

Kezia Dugdale MSP, Scottish Labour leader

Kate Green, Shadow Minister for Women and Equalities

Jon Ashworth, Shadow minister without portfolio

Nia Griffith, Shadow Wales Secretary

Jess Phillips

Michael Dugher

John Woodcock

Conor McGinn, Labour whip

Wes Streeting

Stella Creasy

Liz Kendall

Tristram Hunt

Phil Wilson

Anna Turley

John Mann, Chair of the All-Party Parliamentary Group on anti-semitism

Tom Blenkinsop

Ivan Lewis

Alison McGovern

Gavin Shuker

Clive Efford

Chris Evans

Dan Jarvis

Chris Leslie

Yvette Cooper

Neil Coyle

Kevin Barron

Stephen Doughty

Jamie Reed

Angela Smith

Caroline Flint

David Lammy

Karen Buck

Ian Austin

Ben Bradshaw

Tulip Siddiq

:

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    chestnut said:

I wonder if a whole new set of three quidders would sign up to depose Corbyn.

If they did certain Labour supporters / members would claim it was a Jewish conspiracy
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    kle4 said:

surbiton said:

kle4 said:

surbiton said:

kle4 said:

This argument is so depressing. That there are antisemites in the Labour party does not seem possible to deny. The question is how widespread they are and how much influence they have. People may believe it is minimal, and we have pointing to Ed M's time as leader as an example, and it may be the case it is not as prevalent a force in the party as opponents of the current leader s.

I bwish!
    My point, however, was even if that is the case (and which would mean a lot of work elsewhere needs doing to resolve that), that doesn't mean things these senior Labour people have said right now are not significant. Shah did what she did. Ken said what he said. That you think John Mann MP is making a bigger deal of this than should be the case, or that Tory clubs are worse, have no bearing on that she did and he said.

If someone is goaded along into saying racist things, to make an example, they are still responsible for what they said, and it is still a problem, even if it may not be reflective of anything wider. And of course it needs to be established clearly that it is not reflective first.
    "That you think John Mann MP is making a bigger deal of this than should be the case."

Again, why this deliberate mis-representation ? I have not written anything about John Mann. I still do not know what he has said. Only thing I do know, is that he is a right-winger in the Labour party. I know little else about him.
    It's not deliberate misrepresentation, it was poor language on my part - I apologise that I conflated you, Surbiton, with 'you', those in general who feel this is not a big deal and is being stirred up by Corbyn's opponents.

You really need to stop ascribing to malice that which stupidity will explain. I would much rather admit to the latter than the former. But I will rephrase my point, which was:

That people may think some are making a bigger deal of this than should be the case, or that Tory clubs are worse, has no bearing on what Shah did or Livingstone said.

I trust you will accept the point now, even if you do not agree with it, as is your inalienable right?
    That's better put. I have met Livingstone before [ well over twenty years ago ] He is not anti-Jewish. I think his support for Palestinians is not well liked in the powers that matter. However, I do not know what he has said in this latest situation.

However, I wish the many people who jump for Israel would show a tiny percentage of that support for Palestinians who did not kill 6m Jews [ note I am no holocaust denier ] but have seen their land taken over by others at the behest of those countries who stood by when 6m Jews were killed.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    Speedy said:

kle4 said:

LondonBob said:

The folks who are trying to unseat Mr Corbyn should perhaps in future choose a subject area the Great British public actually have any interest in or care about.

Any suggestions? Certainly Corbyn's going nowhere, and the anti-Corbynites have tried many options.
    Anti-Corbynites are like nuclear waste for Labour voters.

When they pre-announced their efforts to get rid of Corbyn even before he was elected, their credibility shrank to absolute zero.

No one will listen to them simply because everyone knows they are not sincere in their criticism, they are just out to get Corbyn.
    I'd suggest the problem is they might be sincere in their criticism on particular occasions, this being one, but they are also clearly out to get Corbyn, which makes people suspicious of motivations.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    LondonBob said:

The folks who are trying to unseat Mr Corbyn should perhaps in future choose a subject area the Great British public actually have any interest in or care about.

Racism isn't something to care about?
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    kle4 said:

murali_s said:

tlg86 said:

Could this row hurt Labour's GOTV campaign next Thursday?

It will - no question.

Sadiq will comfortably win London as his opponent Zac has been maxing out on the politics of identity. Zac is also crap it has to be said.
    It would seem so. I have to say I've been impressed by Khan, in relative terms. I won't say I'm unaffected by the arguments against him, but he seems to know how to respond, is keen to appear reasonable. He's deathly boring it seems, but Zac is just so bloody mundane as well, I get no sense from him at all, and Khan comes across as having more substance. That might not be the case, and I don't have the vote in London, but I can see why Zac is struggling to make headway.
    The problem with Zac is that Boris was a one time thing.
    The vote for Labour in the council last time and the vote for Khan this time is almost the same, it's just that Boris got Labour votes with his charisma.

Goldsmith is not that charismatic as Boris and cannot compete with the ethnic block of Khan, Crosby made it worse by exaggerating the ethnic factor.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    weejonnie said:

Dan Hannan
    Today, EFTA signed a free trade agreement with the Philippines. The talks took less than one year. Via @Hjortur_J: https://t.co/hpkFdpRoj4

Size of Philippines economy - $290 billion
    Size of US economy - $18 trillion

Different countries will require different amounts of time for negotiations to be concluded. Because you can do a deal with one country in a year, it does not follow that a deal with a much, much larger economy can be done in the same time frame.

And Hannan knows that. He is just playing the game.
    Well it helps to have a 1 on 1 negotiation rather than a 27 on 1 - as there are so many competing conflicting interests - last time I heard Italian tomato growers were preventing a trade deal.

seen here.

(And the USA is our leading non EU trading partner - despite no trade agreement)
    There are a number of bilateral EU-US trade treaties (and US-Norway, and US-Switzerland treaties, etc.), it's just that all are fairly small and cover only a limited range of products and services, and therefore don't come under the heading of a "Free Trade Agreement".
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @georgeeaton: Source predicts whips office will be reshuffled at some point to give Corbyn greater control.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

Scott_P said:

chestnut said:

The must unify around one candidate to start with to prevent splitting the anti-Corbyn vote, and then they must try to reinvigorate ordinary, sensible people who would vote Labour.

There can be only one. Step forward, Ed Miliband !
    If that one came home, I think I'd mention my 200/1 tip in every single post.
    I'm hoping for TSE's 770/1 on Belarus for Eurovision to come in. (I think it was because they wanted to perform surrounded by wolves (possibly naked, not sure).)
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited April 2016
    Speedy said:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/22/world/middleeast/netanyahu-saying-palestinian-mufti-inspired-holocaust-draws-broad-criticism.html?_r=0

"JERUSALEM — Israeli historians and opposition politicians on Wednesday joined Palestinians in denouncing Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu of Israel for saying it was a Palestinian, the grand mufti of Jerusalem, who gave Hitler the idea of annihilating European Jews during World War II."

Now if John Mann and other Anti-Corbynites were really persons of integrity they would go after you too with the same vile as they went against Livingstone.

You see the perils of being dragged to the mud is that you get dirty but the pig likes it.

Where the fuck did I say al-Husseini devised the Holocaust? Churning out propaganda for the Nazis, aiding in recruitment for the Nazis, trying to prevent Jews fleeing to the Middle East, etc., makes him responsible for the deaths of numerous Jews.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    National - IPSOS/Reuters

Trump 49 .. Cruz 28 .. Kasich 17
    Clinton 53 .. Sanders 43

http://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com/ReutersTrackingCorePolitical4.27.2016.pdf
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@Speedy

Not just Mann, although he is the chair of the All-Party Parliamentary Group on anti-semitism.

Sadiq Khan, London Mayor candidate

Seema Malhotra, Shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury

Lucy Powell, Shadow Education Secretary

Luciana Berger, Shadow Minister for Mental Health

Chris Bryant, Shadow Leader of the Commons

Carwyn Jones AM, Welsh Labour leader

Kezia Dugdale MSP, Scottish Labour leader

Kate Green, Shadow Minister for Women and Equalities

Jon Ashworth, Shadow minister without portfolio

Nia Griffith, Shadow Wales Secretary

Jess Phillips

Michael Dugher

John Woodcock

Conor McGinn, Labour whip

Wes Streeting

Stella Creasy

Liz Kendall

Tristram Hunt

Phil Wilson

Anna Turley

John Mann, Chair of the All-Party Parliamentary Group on anti-semitism

Tom Blenkinsop

Ivan Lewis

Alison McGovern

Gavin Shuker

Clive Efford

Chris Evans

Dan Jarvis

Chris Leslie

Yvette Cooper

Neil Coyle

Kevin Barron

Stephen Doughty

Jamie Reed

Angela Smith

Caroline Flint

David Lammy

Karen Buck

Ian Austin

Ben Bradshaw

Tulip Siddiq

:

You can put me on that list, but Mann is the only one to have done an embarrassing public brawl with Livingstone on TV.

The issue is not what John Mann said, it was what he did.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    edited April 2016
    surbiton said:

MTimT said:

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Israel has powerful influence. One way or other it will get you. Either by a death squad or through character assassination.

Today, if you criticise Israel, first you are labelled as anti-zionist and then anti-semetic.

The concept of Semitic ethnicity does not exist. Semitic people are those who spoke a Semetic language. The Israelis today are a very small part of the semetic people.

The expression has been hijacked.

What do you think is a better expression for those racially predjudiced against Jews? While strictly anti-semitism does cover other semitic peoples, that is not common usage of the term.

It was a common usage until recently. If someone is racially prejudiced against Jews, they should be called anti-Jew. Why bury the main thrust of the expression by including another 150m people. [ I haven't counted. I also think people in the Maghreb should not be included ]
    It has not been common usage in my lifetime, i.e. in the last 50 years.

Indeed, a quick web search yields, from Encyclopaedia Britannica:

"The term anti-Semitism was coined in 1879 by the German agitator Wilhelm Marr to designate the anti-Jewish campaigns under way in central Europe at that time. Although the term now has wide currency, it is a misnomer, since it implies a discrimination against all Semites. Arabs and other peoples are also Semites, and yet they are not the targets of anti-Semitism as it is usually understood."

Further, the spelling was adapted to antisemitism without the hyphen to minimize the potential to read it as being against Semites in general rather than Jews in particular.
    You are not the only one who can quote. I can too.

"The term Semitic people or Semitic cultures (from the biblical "Shem", Hebrew: שם‎) was a term for people or cultures who speak or spoke the Semitic languages. The racial use of the term, together with the parallel terms Hamitic and Japhetic, is now obsolete.[1] According to some scholars the concept of Semitic ethnicity does not exist[2] or should be avoided.[3][4]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semitic_people

The largest Semite group are the Arabs. Are you saying the Arabs are not Semites ? Rewriting the language, are we ?
    Realistically you've got to accept that "antisemitism" has been appropriated as a synonym for anti-Jewish. It's irritating maybe but probably less so than (for example) the American construct of "could care less". The attempts to extend the synonym to anti-Zionist are the bit it's worth getting exercised about.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Scott_P said:

@georgeeaton: Source predicts whips office will be reshuffled at some point to give Corbyn greater control.

Von Rundstedt is looking for a job.
  • Options
    No hard feelings in politics?

US presidential hopeful Ted Cruz has been called "Lucifer in the flesh" by the former Speaker of the House of Representatives, John Boehner.

Mr Boehner, a fellow Republican, has also reportedly said he will not vote for Mr Cruz if he becomes the nominee

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2016-36163188
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,385
    surbiton said:

However, I wish the many people who jump for Israel would show a tiny percentage of that support for Palestinians who did not kill 6m Jews [ note I am no holocaust denier ] but have seen their land taken over by others at the behest of those countries who stood by when 6m Jews were killed.

Nobody is suggesting you are a Holocaust denier that I can see, although as I have said I think you are most unwise to have tried to link these issues. I am however genuinely curious as to what more of a practical nature you think could have been done to help the Jews. The crucial difficulty was not necessarily getting them out before the war - it was then supporting them when they had left because of the confiscation of their assets. If the Nazis had been genuinely interested in getting rid of them to a remote location, as Livingstone has (wrongly) suggested, surely they would have made it easy for them to leave Germany by not stripping them of their wealth? Many Jews, indeed, were anxious to try and hang on in Germany in the firm belief things would improve.

The Jews were murdered in Poland from the very first, but since the only power that could have stopped this was Russia and far from preventing the massacres they took an active part in them, and France and Britain had already declared war, I'm again not sure what could in practice have been done to save them. Similarly the massacres in Ukraine and the Baltic states in 1941.

The Jews in Germany itself were only systematically exterminated towards the end of the war, after the Wannsee conference. Ironically, more Jews and Mischlinge (mixed race) people survived in Germany than did in Hungary, where within a few months of the German invasion (an invasion solely aimed at getting and killing the 144,000 Jews there, incidentally) almost all had been murdered at Auschwitz.

I find it hard to credit that the Holocaust could not have been stopped, and I certainly don't want to believe that people in the 1930s were powerless against such a monstrosity, but when you start to consider the logistics, you begin to realise just how hard it was to address it.

I suggest Rubinstein's The Myth of Rescue might be worth reading, although I don't agree with all his conclusions.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,583
    edited April 2016
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    rcs1000 said:

weejonnie said:

Dan Hannan
    Today, EFTA signed a free trade agreement with the Philippines. The talks took less than one year. Via @Hjortur_J: https://t.co/hpkFdpRoj4

Different countries will require different amounts of time for negotiations to be concluded. Because you can do a deal with one country in a year, it does not follow that a deal with a much, much larger economy can be done in the same time frame.

Well it helps to have a 1 on 1 negotiation rather than a 27 on 1 - as there are so many competing conflicting interests - last time I heard Italian tomato growers were preventing a trade deal.

seen here.

(And the USA is our leading non EU trading partner - despite no trade agreement)
    There are a number of bilateral EU-US trade treaties (and US-Norway, and US-Switzerland treaties, etc.), it's just that all are fairly small and cover only a limited range of products and services, and therefore don't come under the heading of a "Free Trade Agreement".
    Well if you want New Zealand Lamb the tariff earned is 12.8% + €1.7183 / Kg That could drop to 0 when we leave the EU.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

US presidential hopeful Ted Cruz has been called "Lucifer in the flesh" by the former Speaker of the House of Representatives, John Boehner.

Mr Boehner, a fellow Republican, has also reportedly said he will not vote for Mr Cruz if he becomes the nominee

If Boehner really believed that, he should have shut his mouth.
    This gives Cruz votes.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

kle4 said:

If Boehner really believed that, he should have shut his mouth.
    This gives Cruz votes.
    Maybe he thinks it's too late for Cruz to win, even in a contested convention, so he's free to say what he likes now.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

I'm sure Migraton was a Decepticon

twitter.com/AndyDataSci/status/725745714765111297

People often get way too worked up about small mistakes like this.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    RobD said:

Nope. I'm a Remainer now. Inacceptable mistake.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,005
    Mr. kle4, me fail English? Unpossible!
  • Options
    National - IPSOS/Reuters

Clinton 43 .. Trump 36
    Clinton 44 .. Cruz 34
    Clinton 41 .. Kasich 37

http://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com/ReutersTrackingCorePolitical4.27.2016.pdf
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,800
    Ludicrous header on the thread

Mike - yes it is just Labour that have this particular problem.

They have this issue precisely because they understand the middle east insufficiently to distinguish between country, race, and religion.

Idiots like Corbyn and McDonnell will however ignore their own ignorance and try to persuade others of some lunacy or other. There are parallels with the Catholic church.

Other parties are no better, perhaps less preachy, and no worse.

• Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Andy White - Split infinitive and split hairs?
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Scott_P said:

chestnut said:

The must unify around one candidate to start with to prevent splitting the anti-Corbyn vote, and then they must try to reinvigorate ordinary, sensible people who would vote Labour.

There can be only one. Step forward, Ed Miliband !
    If that one came home, I think I'd mention my 200/1 tip in every single post.
    I'm hoping for TSE's 770/1 on Belarus for Eurovision to come in. (I think it was because they wanted to perform surrounded by wolves (possibly naked, not sure).)
    You aint the only one hoping for that little peach to rock in.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Idiots like Corbyn and McDonnell will however ignore their own ignorance and try to persuade others of some lunacy or other. There are parallels with the Catholic church.

Bit harsh on the Papists, maybe?

Or are we drawing parallels with the egregious Bishop Williamson here?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    edited April 2016
    RobD said:

Nope, it annoys the hell out of people! How many staff would have seen that before it ended up on TV?
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Speedy said:

john_zims said:

@Speedy

You can put me on that list, but Mann is the only one to have done an embarrassing public brawl with Livingstone on TV.

What's wrong with John Mann having an argument with Ken Livingstone?
  • Options
    Off topic and on a lighter note, good news for @TSE about his favourite Labour councillor in Manchester. ;)
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3563779/Karen-Danczuk-dumps-reality-TV-boyfriend-fun-single-returning-work-ex-husband.html
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,446
    ydoethur said:

LondonBob said:

Of course the Gulags and the Red Terror happened before the concentration camp system.

I hate to be contrary, LondonBob, but technically the former came three years later.*

For the Red Terror, it depends a bit on whether you are including Lenin's tactics in the Civil War under the umbrella of 'Red Terror' - if not, then again it was probably 2-3 years after the first concentration camps opened.

*Later than the ones in Germany under the Nazis, obviously, not later than the idea of a 'concentration' of people which dates back to the nineteenth century and came to widespread attention following British mismanagement of them in the Boer War in 1901.
    Came much before the Boer War:

"The English term originated in the reconcentrados (reconcentration camps) set up by the Spanish military in Cuba during the Ten Years' War (1868–1878), Cuban War for Independence (1895–1898), and by the United States during the Philippine–American War (1899–1902).[8]]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internment
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Nope, it annoys the hell out of people! How many staff would have seen that before it ended up on TV?
    These sorts of thing are easy to miss.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967
    surbiton said:

Israel has powerful influence. One way or other it will get you. Either by a death squad or through character assassination.

Today, if you criticise Israel, first you are labelled as anti-zionist and then anti-semetic.

The concept of Semitic ethnicity does not exist. Semitic people are those who spoke a Semetic language. The Israelis today are a very small part of the semetic people.

The expression has been hijacked.

I don't think so. Anti-semitism was a politically correct term which was adopted in late nineteenth century Europe by people who didn't want to state baldly that they hated Jews. Arabs weren't much of a feature in European society at the time.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

(Had to look your Williamson fella up)

No - I was referring directly to the Catholic Church (I don't regard them as terribly different to any other Christian branch, but just for these purposes they've had a decent while to correct themselves if wrong)

Pretty much every now accepted truism that had run contrary to the Catholic Church's teachings has been opposed and then accepted.

These weren't just hunches, these were things that the Church would kill you if you said weren't true.

Popes are infallible and yet contradictory.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    weejonnie said:

rcs1000 said:

weejonnie said:

Dan Hannan

seen here.

Well if you want New Zealand Lamb the tariff earned is 12.8% + €1.7183 / Kg That could drop to 0 when we leave the EU.
    Yes, I know. And I sincerely hope that we become a genuinely free trade country on exit, as we were prior to the First World War.

I'm just pointing out that there are many existing trade agreements with the US, just not one 'mega' free trade area deal.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    Omnium said:

Ludicrous header on the thread

Mike - yes it is just Labour that have this particular problem.

They have this issue precisely because they understand the middle east insufficiently to distinguish between country, race, and religion.

Other parties are no better, perhaps less preachy, and no worse.

Labour's problem is bigger for two main reasons. Firstly, they've courted the vote of people who are undoubtedly anti-semitic and have either dogwhistled to them or have turned deaf ears to things they'd rather not have heard. And secondly, Labour has a greater sense of its own moral virtue than other parties and that blinds its leadership to its problems: Labour is tolerant and virtuous by definition, therefore there cannot be a problem.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

Unacceptable mistake, you mean!!!
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    Speedy said:

john_zims said:

@Speedy

names snipped

That is not the issue. The issue is whether those above-mentioned people will find themselves looking at each other in the same room and the lightbulb goes on: Corbyn! Let's get rid of him!
  • Options

kle4 said:

RobD said:

Unacceptable mistake, you mean!!!
    No! I mean what I saye.
  • Options
    A day of entertaining stupidity:
    1. Livingstone is right on so many things and is factually right on this one. But context anyone? Hitler also built autobahns but lets not praise his efforts or talk up what Jimmy Saville did for children by raising millions for charity. He was right to be suspended
    2. John Mann choses to ambush Livingstone ot only whilst he's live on the radio but whilst TV crews are there to film pre-roll before his lunchtime TV slots. And shouts nonsense at Livingstone - if thats not bringing the party into disrepute what is?
    3. Who chose to leak the Nas Shah stuff now? Hillsborough victory, winnig n London, doing ok in the locals, CRISIS FOR CONTINUTITY NEW LABOUR so lets whip back up the "anti-semitism" crisis story where the ONLY target is Corbyn. That Hillsborough result reminds everyone that Blair suppressed attempts to investigae as a favour to Murdoch adds fuel to their desperation.

Criticism of Israel is not criticism of Jews. I want to see a Jewish homeland where Jews can live in peace and security. Israel's government and the lunatic illegal settlers do all they can to prevent that from happening. What Nas Shah said was stupid. What Livingstone said was stupid. But not racist. Unless Israel and Jew are the same word.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

LondonBob said:

Of course the Gulags and the Red Terror happened before the concentration camp system.

I hate to be contrary, LondonBob, but technically the former came three years later.*

For the Red Terror, it depends a bit on whether you are including Lenin's tactics in the Civil War under the umbrella of 'Red Terror' - if not, then again it was probably 2-3 years after the first concentration camps opened.

*Later than the ones in Germany under the Nazis, obviously, not later than the idea of a 'concentration' of people which dates back to the nineteenth century and came to widespread attention following British mismanagement of them in the Boer War in 1901.
    Came much before the Boer War:

"The English term originated in the reconcentrados (reconcentration camps) set up by the Spanish military in Cuba during the Ten Years' War (1868–1878), Cuban War for Independence (1895–1898), and by the United States during the Philippine–American War (1899–1902).[8]]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internment
    Yes - that's why I said 'nineteenth century' and 'widespread attention'.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited April 2016
    Scott_P said:

What could go wrong....

I presume only jew hating terrorist sympathisers need apply.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

No - I was referring directly to the Catholic Church (I don't regard them as terribly different to any other Christian branch, but just for these purposes they've had a decent while to correct themselves if wrong)

Pretty much every now accepted truism that had run contrary to the Catholic Church's teachings has been opposed and then accepted.

These weren't just hunches, these were things that the Church would kill you if you said weren't true.

Yes, but the point is the Catholics have from time to time accepted their mistakes. When has Jez Corbyn ever changed his mind on anything?

I wouldn't have bothered looking Williamson up. There are some things life is too short for and finding out more about this mad neo-Nazi is one of them. I apologise profusely if I have forced you to waste time that could have been put to much better use!
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Dan Hannan

The Philippines' economy is bigger than more than half of those in the EU.

English is an official language there, too!
  • Options

Optimus Prime Minister :lol:

• Options
    pbr2013pbr2013 Posts: 649

Speedy said:

john_zims said:

@Speedy

I was at uni with John Mann. All he ever wanted was to be a Labour MP and I was happy to see him achieve his ambition. He can be a bit sanctimonious at times but I'll forgive him that for the way he launched into Livingstone today.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    edited April 2016

1. Livingstone is right on so many things and is factually right on this one. But context anyone? Hitler also built autobahns but lets not praise his efforts or talk up what Jimmy Saville did for children by raising millions for charity. He was right to be suspended
    2. John Mann choses to ambush Livingstone ot only whilst he's live on the radio but whilst TV crews are there to film pre-roll before his lunchtime TV slots. And shouts nonsense at Livingstone - if thats not bringing the party into disrepute what is?
    3. Who chose to leak the Nas Shah stuff now? Hillsborough victory, winnig n London, doing ok in the locals, CRISIS FOR CONTINUTITY NEW LABOUR so lets whip back up the "anti-semitism" crisis story where the ONLY target is Corbyn. That Hillsborough result reminds everyone that Blair suppressed attempts to investigae as a favour to Murdoch adds fuel to their desperation.

Criticism of Israel is not criticism of Jews. I want to see a Jewish homeland where Jews can live in peace and security. Israel's government and the lunatic illegal settlers do all they can to prevent that from happening. What Nas Shah said was stupid. What Livingstone said was stupid. But not racist. Unless Israel and Jew are the same word.

Israel and Jew are not the same word. But one is a convenient shorthand for the other, as we have seen amply displayed today when Ken said Shah didn't hate all jews (because that would be anti-semitic), just the ones in Israel.

The huge irony being that I thought Shah's origninal apology was a model of thoughtful contrition (as did some Jewish friends I discussed it with). I really do think she regretted what she had said and done.

The critical issue, however, for the left is that those pesky Jews have stopped being victims who can be told what to do and what is good for them (cf. WWC who actually make some money). And the left has never forgiven them for it.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Just been catching up past 2 days.
    Andy Burham was good in parliament on hillsborough.
    He has done a good job in government and in opposition on this issue.
    I may have wasted my vote on him on the Labour leadership , with the Corbyn landslide.
    However I am glad he stayed in the shadow cabinet.

I believe there should be Yorkshire Police covering North , West , South and Humberside Police.
    Shame there was so much resistance to regionalisation between 2005 -10.

• Options

Rochdale, you do know that the Nazis used the word 'transportation' (specifically 'Judentransporten') as a euphemism for 'killing,' don't you? Moreover, as I have noted before Livingstone is only factually correct if you accept Nazi claims at face value. Anyone who does that is putting themselves in grave danger of looking like a complete numpty. (Incidentally, I must confess I'm struggling to think of any other issues he's right on - could you help here?)

John Mann's job is fighting anti-semitism. Livingstone has defended it, and has form on it personally. How on earth is calling him out on this bringing Labour into disrepute? Trying to play down somebody's tweet by comparing it to the early work of Hitler, on the other hand...

I'll leave the conspiracy theory part of your post. It speaks for itself, loud, clear and devastating.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,627
    rcs1000 said:

weejonnie said:

rcs1000 said:

weejonnie said:

Dan Hannan

seen here.

Yes, I know. And I sincerely hope that we become a genuinely free trade country on exit, as we were prior to the First World War.

I'm just pointing out that there are many existing trade agreements with the US, just not one 'mega' free trade area deal.
    Quite so.

The case for Leaving is overwhelming.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited April 2016
    pbr2013 said:

Speedy said:

john_zims said:

@Speedy

I was at uni with John Mann. All he ever wanted was to be a Labour MP and I was happy to see him achieve his ambition. He can be a bit sanctimonious at times but I'll forgive him that for the way he launched into Livingstone today.
    I guess the problem isn't the message but the messanger. Mann's a man who could never walk past a camera silently as his rent a quote appearances on EM Today testify to. To be fair, he's hardly alone in this on either side of the House,
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Scott_P said:

What could go wrong....

Only those who would have thought to punish John Mann before Ken Livingstone today will be allowed to whip for Corbyn. The Thick of It was a documentary, wasn't it?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

What a huge disappointment.
  • Options
    @politicshome: NEW: Boris Johnson seeks to associate Sadiq Khan with Ken Livingstone comments.
    https://t.co/GOnXbhB8mp https://t.co/UFjp87PFQQ
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Yes, but the point is the Catholics have from time to time accepted their mistakes. When has Jez Corbyn ever changed his mind on anything?

I wouldn't have bothered looking Williamson up. There are some things life is too short for and finding out more about this mad neo-Nazi is one of them. I apologise profusely if I have forced you to waste time that could have been put to much better use!
    Corbyn changed his mind on the EU, which is a shame .
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

What could go wrong....

Only those who would have thought to punish John Mann before Ken Livingstone today will be allowed to whip for Corbyn. The Thick of It was a documentary, wasn't it?
    The characters in the thick of it were consument professionals compared to Team Chairman Milne
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    edited April 2016
    Mr Pioneers,

It's no secret that many Muslims have no fondness for Jews. Many of the Pakistani ones are not too keen on the Indians either. Now throw into the mix a good dollop of homophobia and misogyny in some cases and Labour will struggle to work out how to keep all of them onside.

It takes the old political trick of saying different things to different audiences. I don't think Sadiq is particularly Islamist at all, but he feels the need to be a politician. At least he's come out this time in one corner. Mind you, I suspect he has a lot of the Muslim sewn up anyway.

Ken and possibly Naz were less politician-ish and said what they probably think. Naz is still an amateur and Ken's stopped bothering. I doubt it's a conspiracy.

• Options

kle4 said:

RobD said:

U mite lyke two reed dyown fred.
  • Options
    JackW said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

Nurse! He's rambling again..... :p
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Exactly how fucking thick are you? How fucking thick are the pb hard lefties? Really really fucking thick? Or even thicker than that?

For the avoidance of all future doubt, this is what Ken said today, on live TV. I know, because I watched it.

"a real antisemite doesn't just hate the Jews in Israel, they hate their Jewish neighbour in Golders Green "

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2016/04/real-antisemite-doesn-t-just-hate-jews-israel-ken-livingstone-s

Dwell on that for a while. Savour it. A REAL anti-Semite doesn't just hate the Jews in Israel. So if you JUST hate the Jews in Israel you're what? How would you define someone who hates the Jews in Israel? Personally, I'd call them a Jew hater. And a racist. Because hating people simply for their race or nationality is racist.

But perhaps you need further help in understanding. Let's tweak what Ken said.

"A real racist doesn't just hate the blacks in Africa, he hates the blacks in Brixton too."

So, by Ken's definition, anyone who JUST hates blacks in Africa is, you know, kinda OK, cause they're not REALLY a racist.

What would you say to someone who offered that opinion in an argument?

The debate ends.
    When I retire , I might watch the daily politics .
    Must be hard for you to make a choice , between that and Homes under the Hammer.
  • Options
    Glad I have entertained some of you. Would I quote Hitler on any subject as a poositive? No. I recently gave up meat - I haven't quoted Hitler's vegetarianism as inspiration.

To flip a few comments round the other way, accusations of anti-semitism are deployed to stop any and all negative comments about policies of the state of Israel. Which is absurd - noone is above question. And I respect Sean T but take his interpretation under advisement. Livingstone doesn't hate Jews in Israel which rather stops the second part of his argument from making any sense.

Anway, for perspective from actual jewish members of the party lets reprint their letter in today's Guardian:

Letter sent to The Guardian today (written before Ken Livingstone's suspension)
    Dear Editor,
    We are Jewish members and supporters of the Labour Party and of Jeremy Corbyn’s leadership, who wish to put our perspective on the “antisemitism” controversy that has been widely debated in the last few weeks.
    We do not accept that antisemitism is “rife” in the Labour party. Of the examples that have been repeated in the media, many have been reported inaccurately, some are trivial, and a very few may be genuine examples of antisemitism. The tiny number of cases of real antisemitism need to be dealt with, but we are proud that the Labour Party historically has been in the forefront of the fight against all forms of racism. We, personally, have not experienced any antisemitic prejudice in our dealings with Labour Party colleagues.
    We believe these accusations are part of a wider campaign against the Labour leadership, and they have been timed particularly to do damage to the Labour Party and its prospects in elections in the coming week.
    As Jews, we are appalled that a serious issue is being used in this cynical and manipulative way, diverting attention from much more widespread examples of Islamaphobia and xenophobia in the Conservative and other parties.
    We dissociate ourselves from the misleading attacks on Labour from some members of the Jewish community. We urge others, who may be confused or worried by recent publicity, to be sure that the Labour Party, under its present progressive leadership, is a place where Jews are welcomed in a spirit of equality and solidarity.
    Yours sincerely,
    Julia Bard
    Jenny Bloom
    Alice Bondi
    Miriam E. David
    Professor Stephen Deutsch
    Lynda Gilbert
    Alex J. Goldhill
    Adam Goodkin
    Stuart Goodman
    Tony Greenstein
    Rosamine Hayeem
    Abe Hayeem
    Jane Henriques
    Lorraine Hershon
    Richard Kuper
    Pam Laurance
    Leah Levane
    Rachel Lever
    Sue Lukes
    Stephen Marks
    Helen Marks
    Charles Shaar Murray
    Professor Mica Nava
    Susan Pashkoff
    Rina Picciotto
    Caroline Raine
    Roland Rance
    Dr. Brian Robinson
    Denise Robson
    Jeff Daniel Rollin
    David Rosenberg
    Jonathan Rosenhead
    Stephen Sands
    Dr. Ian Saville
    Lynne Segal
    Steve Tiller
    Ray Sirotkin
    Inbar Tamari
    Naomi Wimborne-Idrissi
    Benjamin Young
  • Options
    The Molotov-Ribbentrop pact lasted longer than this:

https://twitter.com/TheFix/status/725740782867603456
  • Options
    JackW said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

I might hevh bin reffurring to the sintax.
  • Options

kle4 said:

RobD said:

???
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited April 2016
    How bad is this Ken Livingstone issue for Labour?

Mrs Moses has no real interest in politics, pays no attention to any political stories in the news and really doesn't care that much about who does what. I Walked through the door tonight and she mentions the story.

That's seriously is how bad this is for Labour.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Exactly how fucking thick are you? How fucking thick are the pb hard lefties? Really really fucking thick? Or even thicker than that?

For the avoidance of all future doubt, this is what Ken said today, on live TV. I know, because I watched it.

"a real antisemite doesn't just hate the Jews in Israel, they hate their Jewish neighbour in Golders Green "

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2016/04/real-antisemite-doesn-t-just-hate-jews-israel-ken-livingstone-s

Dwell on that for a while. Savour it. A REAL anti-Semite doesn't just hate the Jews in Israel. So if you JUST hate the Jews in Israel you're what? How would you define someone who hates the Jews in Israel? Personally, I'd call them a Jew hater. And a racist. Because hating people simply for their race or nationality is racist.

"A real racist doesn't just hate the blacks in Africa, he hates the blacks in Brixton too."

So, by Ken's definition, anyone who JUST hates blacks in Africa is, you know, kinda OK, cause they're not REALLY a racist.

The debate ends.
    Is hating anyone on the left ok ?
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Yorkcity said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

True, O Cophetua! But I feel some sympathy with him in this case. Corbyn has always defined himself in terms of who he is against, which is one reason of course why he ends up looking silly when he gets on to the actual issues. Making a choice between being against Cameron and the EU and being against Bozza and the pro-American lobby must have been very difficult for him!
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Good evening folks.

"On the face of it this could damage the red team’s hopes in London though I’ve been impressed by the way Khan has dealt with this." OGH

Yes I saw how Khan dealt with the Livingstone problem: "He must go, terrible person. Who? Never heard of him, I've always loved Jews - (now with tears in the eyes) please vote for me."
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited April 2016
  • Options
    SeanT said:

If Labour allow this anti-semitism thing to become a battleground between the Corbynite left and Blairite right then I think it could see the end of them, as a serious political force.

Surely they can see the intense peril they now face? This is the Ratnerisation of Labour, times ten.

Yes we can see it. Apparently though the removal of not just Corbyn but the last vestiges of socialism is more important. Its not a conspiracy as suggested that there is an intense battle going on between continuity New Labour types in Progress (which I'd ban) and send Blair to the Hague types in Momentum (which I'd ban). The rest of us not foaming at the mouth (a condition familiar to Tory members at the moment) watch in amazement as both sides hurl rocks at each other and not the government.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Israel and Jew are not the same word. But one is a convenient shorthand for the other, as we have seen amply displayed today when Ken said Shah didn't hate all jews (because that would be anti-semitic), just the ones in Israel.

The huge irony being that I thought Shah's origninal apology was a model of thoughtful contrition (as did some Jewish friends I discussed it with). I really do think she regretted what she had said and done.

The critical issue, however, for the left is that those pesky Jews have stopped being victims who can be told what to do and what is good for them (cf. WWC who actually make some money). And the left has never forgiven them for it.
    My impression is that Naz Shah was indulging in some tasteless humour of the type that many people indulge in. Of course, it's unwise to record it on Facebook, if you want a political career. I too felt that she regretted what she had said.

Livingstone, on the other hand, goes out of his way to bait Jews. He's done it too often for it not to be deliberate.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

He's changed his mind quite a bit.EU, nuclear weapons, democracy, and recently dress-sense.

If I told you that in fact he was just a drop-out-unsuccessful Undergraduate from the late 70s, how would you counter it?

That doesn't make him wrong at all, but it's slightly further from making him right.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited April 2016
    ''To flip a few comments round the other way, accusations of anti-semitism are deployed to stop any and all negative comments about policies of the state of Israel.''

That is complete and utter total thorough going horsesh8t of the first order. Goodness me a leftist posted a quote down thread where Israeli politicians (count them) teamed up with Palestinians to criticise their own government.

Want to slate Israel's policies? be my guest. Israelis do it all the time. Why should it stop Britons?

The fact is that some in the labour party don't think Israel has a right to exist. How it ceases to exist doesn't really concern them, it seems.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

If Labour allow this anti-semitism thing to become a battleground between the Corbynite left and Blairite right then I think it could see the end of them, as a serious political force.

Surely they can see the intense peril they now face? This is the Ratnerisation of Labour, times ten.

If they allow the fight against casual racism to become one of faction, they will at least achieve the modest distinction of becoming the first truly serious political farce.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

He's changed his mind quite a bit.EU, nuclear weapons, democracy, and recently dress-sense.

If I told you that in fact he was just a drop-out-unsuccessful Undergraduate from the late 70s, how would you counter it?

That doesn't make him wrong at all, but it's slightly further from making him right.
    Oh and PS - the Catholic Church has accepted their mistakes, vaguely if pressed apologised for secular crimes, but I can't recall an acknowledgement of wrongness. They even couch all their previous comsmological nonsense in vague talk (as far as I know).
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

He was not an undergraduate, as North London Polytechnic was not a university at that time.

EU and dress sense I rather think his mind was changed for him.

I didn't realise he was once for nuclear weapons and against democracy. In fact, I thought his consistency on those points - even though I am reluctantly compelled to disagree with him on nuclear weapons - was a point in his favour.

However, it's all rather a side issue to Ken Livingstone having the most transparent moment of madness since Ron Davies went badger watching on Hampstead Heath.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

SeanT said:

The debate ends.
    Ah dont worry about that plenty on the left hate Tories as well.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205

SeanT said:

Yes we can see it. Apparently though the removal of not just Corbyn but the last vestiges of socialism is more important. Its not a conspiracy as suggested that there is an intense battle going on between continuity New Labour types in Progress (which I'd ban) and send Blair to the Hague types in Momentum (which I'd ban). The rest of us not foaming at the mouth (a condition familiar to Tory members at the moment) watch in amazement as both sides hurl rocks at each other and not the government.
    You don't have to accept anti-Semitism to have socialism. Unfortunately the Left in this country has completely lost the plot.
  • Options
    @BBCNewsnight: Coming up on #newsnight TONIGHT - Ken Livingstone tells @johnsweeneyroar: "What I've said is historically true"
    https://t.co/WlIbd01vWt
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

Genuine, serious question, Rochdale - don't you find it rather sad that so many on the left define themselves purely negatively, i.e. by what they hate/are not, rather than by saying what they are and will do?

I've often thought it's one possible reason they spend most of their time in opposition. 'Vote for us because we hate the other lot even more than you do' isn't, with rare exceptions (1945, 1997) a terribly convincing sales pitch.
  • Options
    He needs to stop defending it. Doesn't matter what is true and what isn't true when it comes down to the pre-genocide policies of a genocidal maniac.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@BBCNewsnight: Coming up on #newsnight TONIGHT - Ken Livingstone tells @johnsweeneyroar: "What I've said is historically true"

Ken, I know you hated him but Dennis Healey was a far wiser man than you. You would particularly benefit from his sensible maxim, 'When you're in a hole, stop digging.'
  • Options

He needs to stop defending it. Doesn't matter what is true and what isn't true when it comes down to the pre-genocide policies of a genocidal maniac.

That is something we can finally agree on! Hooray!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Yorkcity said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

True, O Cophetua! But I feel some sympathy with him in this case. Corbyn has always defined himself in terms of who he is against, which is one reason of course why he ends up looking silly when he gets on to the actual issues. Making a choice between being against Cameron and the EU and being against Bozza and the pro-American lobby must have been very difficult for him!
    Yes I agree.
    Makes you wonder why he want this job really.
    I am sure he would have been happier as a back bench MP, allowed to be personally against the issues he defined.
    Rather than a spokesperson for offical party lines.
    It can not be the money .
    He seems to me a decent man,not a selfish career Frank Underwood type .
  • Options
    Bale's is just a Denial-There's-A-Special-Problem Tweet, similar to the tactic of citing road deaths during the Brussels/Paris terror attacks. I presume Bale - much BBC work - is a lefty.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Scott_P said:

I'm beginning to have a scintilla of sympathy for Jeremy Corbyn.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

weejonnie said:

rcs1000 said:

weejonnie said:

Dan Hannan

seen here.

Quite so.

The case for Leaving is overwhelming.
    It's interesting to see how polarised Leave/Remain now is on ideological lines. Right wing voters split 3:1 for Leave, Left-wing voters 3:1 for Remain, according to Yougov. Cameron is out on a limb.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Yorkcity said:

Genuine, serious question, Rochdale - don't you find it rather sad that so many on the left define themselves purely negatively, i.e. by what they hate/are not, rather than by saying what they are and will do?

I've often thought it's one possible reason they spend most of their time in opposition. 'Vote for us because we hate the other lot even more than you do' isn't, with rare exceptions (1945, 1997) a terribly convincing sales pitch.
    You either don't want to see what the left defines itself as or choose to ignore it. My Labour Party membership card says this - and I agree with every word. The Labour Party is a democratic socialist party. It believes that by the strength of our common endeavour we achieve more than we achieve alone, so as to create for each of us the means to realise our true potential and for all of us a community in which power, wealth and opportunity are in the hands of the many not the few; where the rights we enjoy reflect the duties we owe, and where we live together, freely, in a spirit of solidarity, tolerance and respect.

As a higher rate taxpayer enjoying a 100% marginal tax rate on child benefit i am a leftie because I give a fuck about the people who work far harder than me who aren't in the lucky position to enjoy a 100% marginal tax rate. I've done very well off tthe coalition and now the Tories. but its not about me.
  • Options

I'm beginning to have a scintilla of sympathy for Jeremy Corbyn.

Corbyn was the one who opened the crypt and released the undead corpse...
  • Options

SeanT said:

Us Tories were thinking that we had a monopoly on throwing rocks at each other, thanks to Labour for reminding us that the blues are only amateurs at this sport.
  • Options
    Regarding the OP did this research ensure that a representative number of Islamic voters were included in the survey or somehow control for this? Voters are far more likely to be led by social background than the political parties they identify with on this question. Lumping all Labour voters together doesn't tell us anything particularly interesting here. Lumping all Islamic or C2DEs together might.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

He's going on Newsnight? Really?

What can he possibly say tonight that will make the situation anything other than a whole lot worse?

*runs to shop to replenish popcorn supplies*
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,058

ydoethur said:

Yorkcity said:

You either don't want to see what the left defines itself as or choose to ignore it. My Labour Party membership card says this - and I agree with every word. The Labour Party is a democratic socialist party. It believes that by the strength of our common endeavour we achieve more than we achieve alone, so as to create for each of us the means to realise our true potential and for all of us a community in which power, wealth and opportunity are in the hands of the many not the few; where the rights we enjoy reflect the duties we owe, and where we live together, freely, in a spirit of solidarity, tolerance and respect.

As a higher rate taxpayer enjoying a 100% marginal tax rate on child benefit i am a leftie because I give a fuck about the people who work far harder than me who aren't in the lucky position to enjoy a 100% marginal tax rate. I've done very well off tthe coalition and now the Tories. but its not about me.
    I’m not a Labour Party member, and haven’t been for many years, but I understand exactly where you are coming from and agree 100% with your sentiments. It’s not about me, it’s about us!
    Chris Mullin had it right in his 1997 victorty speech “Britain governed in the interests of all, not just the interests of the fortunate”.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    ydoethur said:

Quibbling with the 'undergraduate' bit wasn't entirely the response I expected, nor that most likely to persuade me of Mr Corbyn's parts.

These are not necessarily binary things. Nonetheless, either his mind has changed on some of these things, or his party policy is at odds with his beliefs.

I'd like to say that my hunch was that he's a good man doing what he has to do to achieve what he believes is best.

I can't really hang on the the 'good man' bit though, and he's quite happy supporting the forces of disorder and unlawfulness.

There is nothing about Jeremy Corbyn.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

He's going on Newsnight? Really?

What can he possibly say tonight that will make the situation anything other than a whole lot worse?

*runs to shop to replenish popcorn supplies*
    Get it while you can, I've heard rationing is around the corner!
  • Options
    I used to think that the majority of Hitler sympathisers, resident in the UK, had skinheads and steel-toed Doc Martens .... but I changed my mind about 20 years ago.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited April 2016
    With the local elections, it looks like there are 3 uncontested wards this year: Labour are unopposed in Halton: Broadheath and Preston: St George's, and the Tories in Epping Forest: Passingford. The total number of wards being contested is 2,178.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,058
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

He was not an undergraduate, as North London Polytechnic was not a university at that time.

EU and dress sense I rather think his mind was changed for him.

I didn't realise he was once for nuclear weapons and against democracy. In fact, I thought his consistency on those points - even though I am reluctantly compelled to disagree with him on nuclear weapons - was a point in his favour.

However, it's all rather a side issue to Ken Livingstone having the most transparent moment of madness since Ron Davies went badger watching on Hampstead Heath.
    Wasn’t it Clapham Common?
This discussion has been closed.