Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Time to bet against the Donald

Comments

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

JackW said:

malcolmg said:

A question about Hilary, bearing in mind I know nothing about her. The probability of a husband and wife both being capable of running the most powerful country in the world is extraordinary.

If she had another name would she be anywhere near the front row of this pantomime?

That has no bearing on the US bean feast , it is all down to how much money and pork barrel friends you can muster.
    Yes, British politics is a little better in that respect.

I cannot see a way out of this mess for the Republicans. They have to have a candidate, and if anything other than Trump there will be accusations of a backroom fix, and no point in a fix if it is likely to fall apart or be inadequate. Probably the best option is to accept the inevitable and get on board with Trump and hope to soften his rougher edges.

I am green on this race but best with Cruz or Kasich. I cannot see much value either backing or laying Trump at this point.

Hillary will be an excellent President.

The mess the GOP are in is squarely of their own making. They failed to heed their own report post the 2012 defeat and have retreated to their continued reliance on white males which is a shrinking demographic generally and more importantly in several swing states.

It's been some time coming but the writing was on the wall in New Mexico that George Bush II won but is now solidly blue. The trend is now the same in hispanic rich and growing states such as Nevada, Colorado, Florida and Arizona. Long term we will also see this in Texas. The DC suburbs are trending Virginia blue and slowly North Carolina is moving too.

Presently the GOP cannot and appears unwilling to square this POTUS circle.

The GOP does rather look like the Tories a decade ago. They need a Cameron like moderniser who can recapture some centre ground support.

This is more difficult in the USA as it does seem to be social rather than economic issues that divide the two parties. A Republican who advocated a more tolerant approach to abortion, immigration and the role of religion in national life and who concentrated on the economy is hard to imagine. Ironically Trump for all his many flaws actually is rather more moderate on these issues.
    Trump couldn't give a t8ss about abortion or religion, I reckon.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251

Jonathan said:

Woke up feeling a bit LEAVE-y this morning. Odd.

Shouldn't have eaten that Brie at bedtime.
    Of course it could be the realisation that best way to sink Cameron, Osborne and the Tories generally is to vote Leave and that it gnawing at your sub-conscience.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

JackW said:

malcolmg said:

A question about Hilary, bearing in mind I know nothing about her. The probability of a husband and wife both being capable of running the most powerful country in the world is extraordinary.

If she had another name would she be anywhere near the front row of this pantomime?

That has no bearing on the US bean feast , it is all down to how much money and pork barrel friends you can muster.

I cannot see a way out of this mess for the Republicans. They have to have a candidate, and if anything other than Trump there will be accusations of a backroom fix, and no point in a fix if it is likely to fall apart or be inadequate. Probably the best option is to accept the inevitable and get on board with Trump and hope to soften his rougher edges.

I am green on this race but best with Cruz or Kasich. I cannot see much value either backing or laying Trump at this point.

The mess the GOP are in is squarely of their own making. They failed to heed their own report post the 2012 defeat and have retreated to their continued reliance on white males which is a shrinking demographic generally and more importantly in several swing states.

It's been some time coming but the writing was on the wall in New Mexico that George Bush II won but is now solidly blue. The trend is now the same in hispanic rich and growing states such as Nevada, Colorado, Florida and Arizona. Long term we will also see this in Texas. The DC suburbs are trending Virginia blue and slowly North Carolina is moving too.

The GOP does rather look like the Tories a decade ago. They need a Cameron like moderniser who can recapture some centre ground support.

This is more difficult in the USA as it does seem to be social rather than economic issues that divide the two parties. A Republican who advocated a more tolerant approach to abortion, immigration and the role of religion in national life and who concentrated on the economy is hard to imagine. Ironically Trump for all his many flaws actually is rather more moderate on these issues.
    Much like Labour with Jezza the GOP party faithful have taken over asylum and prefer ideological purity over the requirement to win.

Which states will take them over the line in POTUS elections? .. None it would seem, many know and don't care, others know and seemed resigned to defeat in November elections again and again.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Freedom of movement for qualified, useful people that will contribute to society from anywhere in the world, for criminals, terrorist supporters and spongers, not so much... or as it is known in Canada and Australia, a points based system.

The 2 Glasgow airport bombers were respectively a doctor and an PHD engineering student (though the former was in fact UK born). Not simple to winnow out the contributors from the 'criminals, terrorist supporters and spongers'.
    The 7/7, Brussels and Paris terrorists were also not migrants. Even the 9/11 terrorists had legitimate study visas to be in the USA.
    Yes yes... so what is your point, that because we can't make a system perfect we shouldn't make it better ? Would like you like to bet if the 9/11 terrorists could get a study visa to the USA now, under the current regime ? Or is it because something about controlling who comes into the country offends your liberal values you are waving your hands around.
    I'd guess that an application for a study visa by a Saudi might get a more thorough going over today, but a brief search on the internet suggests that the number of foreign students at US colleges & universities in 2000-2001 was 547,867, and 974,926 in 2014-15.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Freedom of movement for qualified, useful people that will contribute to society from anywhere in the world, for criminals, terrorist supporters and spongers, not so much... or as it is known in Canada and Australia, a points based system.

The 2 Glasgow airport bombers were respectively a doctor and an PHD engineering student (though the former was in fact UK born). Not simple to winnow out the contributors from the 'criminals, terrorist supporters and spongers'.
    The 7/7, Brussels and Paris terrorists were also not migrants. Even the 9/11 terrorists had legitimate study visas to be in the USA.
    Yes yes... so what is your point, that because we can't make a system perfect we shouldn't make it better ? Would like you like to bet if the 9/11 terrorists could get a study visa to the USA now, under the current regime ? Or is it because something about controlling who comes into the country offends your liberal values you are waving your hands around.
    No, I am entirely in favour of reducing migration from places where jihadists roam, and restricting spouse and family settlement, and an active deportation policy are all part of that.

I think that a country should care for its citizens, and it is unfair if a citizen has been working abroad for several years, meet a local while abroad, get married and started a family for that citizen to have often huge difficulties bringing their family home with them. At the moment for example only the UK earnings (with a few minor exceptions) are counted, so even if you have a good job abroad, you will have a huge difficulty taking your wife and or children back to the UK. For the avoidance of doubt this doesn't apply to me personally, my wife was a British citizen a decade before we moved out here, but I know several people in this position.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    Indigo said:

Have you read Bruce Schneier?

He's one of the most respected computer security researchers in the world, but he's also done a lot of work on how many of the checks we do at - for example - airports, are there to reassure passengers, not to seriously deter terrorists.

Anyway.

No system is perfect, and all systems have costs. We could prevent a great many terrorist incidents (but still probably not all) by preventing anybody at all from coming into the UK. We could prevent a great many road deaths (but still probably not all) by having a 10 mile per hour speed limit.

In both cases, society as a whole has decided that the costs of reducing road deaths by (say) 1,000 is not worth the damage to the economy and to legitimate people's lives that would be caused by such a draconian reduction in the speed limit.

We can never prevent all terrorist incidents. We can merely choose a point on the cost-deaths curve.

Let me give you an example. In the 1970s and 1980s, when c. 3,000 people were killed during the Troubles, there were discussions in the British cabinet about sealing off the border with the Republic; or even just creating a wall with proper crossing points, and full border checks. The arguments were always the same: what is the cost for doing this? can a determined terrorist avoid it? how many lives, in a best case scenario, could be saved?

In the end, it was always decided that the cost of building a 300 mile wall, that the cost of manning it, and the economic costs to the Northern Irish economy, were far worse than the costs of terrorism, especially given how easy it would be for a determined terrorist to evade them anyway.

What costs would your changes have? And what real impact would they have on the flow of terrorists? If the answer is lots, and very little, they you are falling into the trap of saying "we must be seen to do something, this is something, therefore we must do it."
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    taffys said:

JackW said:

malcolmg said:

Trump couldn't give a t8ss about abortion or religion, I reckon.
    Or indeed many other Republican sacred cows. If he wasn't so prone to shooting from the hip (rather dangerous for the rest of the world in a President) I would rather think him a good influence on American politics.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

What costs would your changes have? And what real impact would they have on the flow of terrorists? If the answer is lots, and very little, they you are falling into the trap of saying "we must be seen to do something, this is something, therefore we must do it."
    I have quoted him on here many times to counter people that think government backdoors into cryptosystems is anything other than complete insanity, and i am well aware of his view on Security Theatre. The fact remains we have a significant number of known criminals in the UK that we can't throw out because they are EU citizens, and a large number of people from other EU countries that contribute nothing to the society.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067

malcolmg said:

I am not a Hillary fan, would prefer Trump.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    edited April 2016
    I see Matthew Parris is being his charmless self again this morning. Leavers are knuckle dragging zealots. Ho hum.

Meanwhile, Boris returns Cameron's insults with added colour a la Gerald Ratner.
    “But that is not what they say – oh no, they keep saying that they are eurosceptics, but we have no choice. We agree with you about the democratic problem, they say – but it’s the price we have to pay. My friends they are the Gerald Ratners of modern politics.

“The EU, they say – it’s c**p but we have no alternative. Well we do have an alternative, and it is a glorious alternative.”
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/15/barack-obama-to-intervene-in-eu-referendum-with-very-candid-warn/
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

I have quoted him on here many times to counter people that think government backdoors into cryptosystems is anything other than complete insanity, and i am well aware of his view on Security Theatre. The fact remains we have a significant number of known criminals in the UK that we can't throw out because they are EU citizens, and a large number of people from other EU countries that contribute nothing to the society.
    Sure.

But how are you planning on stopping criminals - who have committed a crime abroad - but not in the UK in?

Do you want a world criminal database?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

Sure.

But how are you planning on stopping criminals - who have committed a crime abroad - but not in the UK in?

Seems a little extreme when you could make do with a quick phone call or email to the national police of the country of origin. Simpler than that, many countries require a certificate from your national police stating you have no unspent convictions and are not the subject of any ongoing enquiries, before they will grant you a visa, Australia for example.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,005
    Good morning, everyone.

Interesting grid. Will see about doing the pre-race piece in the next hour or two.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    It’s a photo of the establishment doing what the establishment does best: coalescing around a policy and convincing people that it would be sheer madness to oppose it. Government by social convention.

To some extent it’s a damning indictment of bourgeois democracy, of the way that those with power and privilege get to define what is politically acceptable and assert an unwritten consensus. A consensus that’s inescapable.

There is, however, a surprising consequence to the Remain campaign’s strategy of collecting celebrity endorsements like they were advertising walk-in baths. They’re creating a campaign of personalities rather than ideas. They’re trying to compel Britain to vote in a particular way rather than persuade them. And stubborn voters might not appreciate that.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/15/the-eu-referendum-is-becoming-a-contest-between-the-establishmen/
  • Options
    Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

Sure.

Seems a little extreme when you could make do with a quick phone call or email to the national police of the country of origin. Simpler than that, many countries require a certificate from your national police stating you have no unspent convictions and are not the subject of any ongoing enquiries, before they will grant you a visa, Australia for example.
    When you apply for a US Esta, the same applies. Questions about convictions. This stuff really isn;t rocket science.

As it is instead of badly needed overseas doctors, we have Romanian gansters, who blight lives.

• Options

It’s a photo of the establishment doing what the establishment does best: coalescing around a policy and convincing people that it would be sheer madness to oppose it. Government by social convention.

To some extent it’s a damning indictment of bourgeois democracy, of the way that those with power and privilege get to define what is politically acceptable and assert an unwritten consensus. A consensus that’s inescapable.

There is, however, a surprising consequence to the Remain campaign’s strategy of collecting celebrity endorsements like they were advertising walk-in baths. They’re creating a campaign of personalities rather than ideas. They’re trying to compel Britain to vote in a particular way rather than persuade them. And stubborn voters might not appreciate that.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/15/the-eu-referendum-is-becoming-a-contest-between-the-establishmen/

Well duh, Tim Stanley, that's only what we've been saying on here for the last two months.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967

I'm beginning to think that Leave might win this.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

How on earth did David Cameron allow himself to be photographed with that gruesome twosome?
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,030
    There are people who totally approve of a Conservative majority government on 37 per cent of the vote, who are already getting outraged about the democratic failure of a result won by 51 or 52 per cent of the vote - "a damning indictment of bourgeois democracy"!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    What the referendum has done more than anything is expose the governing, decision making elite to the voter. Often they are criticising each other so its more difficult to discern, but the referendum has united them in a peculiar but very obvious way. Even Corbs is on board. because, in his own way, he is a member.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

Sure.

Though very many of the countries that we go to require no visa, or one that is given on arrival as a sort of travellers tax.

Visas really only are relevant to people planning more than a tourist/business visit. The most useful thing that we could do concerning these is have proper exit checks at all ports and airports and also active deportation of overstayers. I would also place all asylum seekers in displaced persons camps until their case is reviewed rather than letting them roam free.

There is very little point in tightening rules if existing ones are not enforced. Nothing I have suggested above could not be done under existing Remain status.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    taffys said:

Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

Sure.

When you apply for a US Esta, the same applies. Questions about convictions. This stuff really isn;t rocket science.

As it is instead of badly needed overseas doctors, we have Romanian gansters, who blight lives.

Recent migrants to Britain are almost twice as likely as the UK-born population to have completed their education aged 21 or over.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited April 2016
    taffys said:

Sean_F said:

'How on earth did David Cameron allow himself to be photographed with that gruesome twosome?'

Three immensely privileged white men in suits, at least one of whom having failed at politics in this country went on to enjoy a richly rewarded career courtesy of the EU, telling the 'little people' how to vote. What could possibly go wrong?
  • Options

taffys said:

Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

Sure.

Recent migrants to Britain are almost twice as likely as the UK-born population to have completed their education aged 21 or over.
    and...
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,030
    edited April 2016
    watford30 said:

taffys said:

Sean_F said:

'How on earth did David Cameron allow himself to be photographed with that gruesome twosome?'

Three immensely privileged white men in suits, at least one of whom having failed at politics in this country went on to enjoy a richly rewarded career courtesy of the EU, telling the 'little people' how to vote. What could possibly go wrong?
    They got more votes than Nigel.
    So they are more popular than LEAVErs. This is their edge. The LEAVE edge is that the ideas of sovereignty and independence are more appealling.
    Cameron's popularity is gospel on PB when discussing the Conservatives, but immediately forgotten when discussing REMAIN.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Woke up feeling a bit LEAVE-y this morning. Odd.

We are seeing that the people we fight like cat and dog over on here are, in the end, rather similar to each other, and have a certain esprit de corps. The causes they espouse are less important than the fact they have 'arrived' in the elite club. Privately they distrust the voters far more than they do each other
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,058
    edited April 2016
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

I am not a Hillary fan, would prefer Trump.
    Good God; really? Have you got money on him?
  • Options
    watford30 said:

taffys said:

Sean_F said:

I cannot see Farage in the picture. Surely that is whom you describe?

Neil Kinnock, for all his faults, brought Labour back from the abyss, and set in place the foundations of the 1997 landslide. His record is not of failure.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,414
    edited April 2016
    watford30 said:

What are they thinking?

The leader of striking junior doctors pleaded with colleagues to exempt sick children from the first total walkout in NHS history, but was overruled. http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/strike-doctors-ignore-leaders-plea-to-protect-sick-children-df8wv77jf

They're thinking with their wallets. Cash before kids.
    How's that hippocratic oathy thing coming along, docs?
  • Options
    Indigo said:

taffys said:

Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

Sure.

and...
    So far from usually being Romanian gangsters, migrants to the UK are exactly the type of highly educated people we would love to have.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,551
    edited April 2016
    Sean_F said:

How on earth did David Cameron allow himself to be photographed with that gruesome twosome?

And the series of poses too. Each one I see is worse than the last.
  • Options

Visas really only are relevant to people planning more than a tourist/business visit. The most useful thing that we could do concerning these is have proper exit checks at all ports and airports and also active deportation of overstayers. I would also place all asylum seekers in displaced persons camps until their case is reviewed rather than letting them roam free.

There is very little point in tightening rules if existing ones are not enforced. Nothing I have suggested above could not be done under existing Remain status.

I said as much a couple of days ago. I said even it we remain, immigration needs a complete overhaul because it is currently not fit for purpose, plus tightening up a lot of the current sloppiness would go some way to pacifying outers that didn't get their wish. It would be very smart politics for a Tory government post "IN", but I don't see it happening because Dave is too concerned about what the Guardian might say.

Linking this to my complaint about visas for spouses of citizens. How does a British Citizen feel when after working abroad for five years he has to leave his wife behind for 6-12 months while he builds up enough UK earnings, and yet we have 100,000 non-citizens in the UK that have failed all levels of appeal against their failed asylum claim, and yet are still in the country, often at the expense of the public purse.
  • Options

Indigo said:

taffys said:

Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

Sure.

and...
    So far from usually being Romanian gangsters, migrants to the UK are exactly the type of highly educated people we would love to have.
    Quite likely... but you can't use lots of nice people to hand wave away a fair few nasty people.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,414
    Boris on fine form:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36060204

"Potemkin olive groves". Brilliant.
  • Options

Indigo said:

taffys said:

Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

Sure.

and...
    YOu appear to be saying that Romanian gangsters are a kind of necessary evil, a sort of price worth paying, a sort of voter tax. Accept the rough with the smooth.

Which is fine. But I think we can do it better. You just don't see the need, because you live a lifestyle that never comes into contact with the darker side of immigration. So do I, as a matter of fact, but I recognise it might be a big problem for some people.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

Sure.

Indigo was talking about known criminals. Why would you need a database to tell you something you already know?
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Sean_F said:

And the series of poses too. Each one I see is worse than the last.
    There's a video further down which is just as funny. Cameron, Ashdown and Jowell (?) pestering poor souls with cold calls.

'Hello, is that Silvio? It's Tessa calling from London. No, I'm not interested in mortgages, can I talk to you about Europe...'
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

taffys said:

Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

Sure.

and...
    Quite likely... but you can't use lots of nice people to hand wave away a fair few nasty people.
    I suggest you reread @rcs1000's excellent post below on security. We can either impose absurdly bureaucratic and counterproductive measures to keep cretins happy or we can acknowledge that the system works generally pretty well for us and accept that no system is going to be perfect. I vote for the latter.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Boris on fine form:

@DPJHodges: If you haven't seen Boris Johnson's interview with @bbclaurak you need to have a look. Seriously out there. Starts banging on about the CIA.

@paddyashdown: Brexit: Bnk of England wrong. IMF wrong. NATO wrong. EU wrong. C'wealth wrong Obama wrong. Boris right OK But wld you bet the country on it?
  • Options
    F1: the markets are nowhere right now so I'll have to check back in an hour or two. Humbug!
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,132

Indigo said:

taffys said:

Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

Sure.

and...
    Which means that the UK has the most highly educated potato pickers and hotel chambermaids in the world.
  • Options
    Mr. P, I'd still like to see a Venn diagram of those who think we should stay in, and those who thought we should join the euro.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,713
    Scott_P said:

Boris on fine form:

@DPJHodges: If you haven't seen Boris Johnson's interview with @bbclaurak you need to have a look. Seriously out there. Starts banging on about the CIA.

@paddyashdown: Brexit: Bnk of England wrong. IMF wrong. NATO wrong. EU wrong. C'wealth wrong Obama wrong. Boris right OK But wld you bet the country on it?
    We have reached a parallel existence where Scott_P has become a pompom waver for Pantsdown.
  • Options

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

taffys said:

Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

Sure.

and...
    I suggest you reread @rcs1000's excellent post below on security. We can either impose absurdly bureaucratic and counterproductive measures to keep cretins happy or we can acknowledge that the system works generally pretty well for us and accept that no system is going to be perfect. I vote for the latter.
    You would, you live in a nice safe upscale part of the country with a secure job and plenty of money, not sure everyone is going to see it your way.
  • Options

Mr. P, I'd still like to see a Venn diagram of those who think we should stay in, and those who thought we should join the euro.

Could be interesting, but a more informative would be those who were for the status quo last time (Sterling) and are for the status quo (remain) this time
  • Options
    edited April 2016

We have reached a parallel existence where Scott_P has become a pompom waver for Pantsdown.

I am waving something in your general direction.

They are not pompoms...
  • Options
    EPG said:

watford30 said:

taffys said:

Sean_F said:

They got more votes than Nigel.
    So they are more popular than LEAVErs. This is their edge. The LEAVE edge is that the ideas of sovereignty and independence are more appealling.
    Cameron's popularity is gospel on PB when discussing the Conservatives, but immediately forgotten when discussing REMAIN.
    Cameron's popularity has melted away in six weeks.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

taffys said:

Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

Sure.

and...
    You would, you live in a nice safe upscale part of the country with a secure job and plenty of money, not sure everyone is going to see it your way.
    You live on the other side of the world and yet seem very happy to inflict your pet social projects on this country. Forgive me if I don't see you as a tribune of the people.
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, is the US proposing to join the EU? Or is that a fatuous comparison?
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Mark Steyn is so on the money
    They know that, if you can tie up a book or a magazine article in court, then there will be fewer books and magazine articles. As I wrote in my introduction to Geert Wilders' memoir, Marked For Death:

After I saw off the Islamic enforcers in my own country, their frontman crowed to The Canadian Arab News that, even though the Canadian Islamic Congress had struck out in three different jurisdictions in their attempt to criminalize my writing about Islam, the lawsuits had cost my magazine (he boasted) two million bucks, and thereby "attained our strategic objective — to increase the cost of publishing anti-Islamic material."

...At this stage, Ankara's strongman doesn't really need to win in court, does he? He's already nuked the gag, and damaged the guy's career. He has, in effect, imposed Islamic concepts of free speech on a major western power. Get used to it, because they've only just begun.
    http://www.steynonline.com/7515/where-the-streets-have-no-jokes-cont
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Boris on fine form:

Appeals to authority don't work as well as they used to.
  • Options

Given that it isn't in Europe, yes it seems pretty fatuous to me.

For Boris Johnson to overlook the fact that the USA is a country that was formed from a group of separate states that consciously came together is amazingly ignorant on his part.
  • Options

You live on the other side of the world and yet seem very happy to inflict your pet social projects on this country. Forgive me if I don't see you as a tribune of the people.

Well since you appear to be an expert on my personal circumstance I will just leave you to your smug self-congratulation and move on to other discussions. Have a nice life.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

For Boris Johnson to overlook the fact that the USA is a country that was formed from a group of separate states that consciously came together is amazingly ignorant on his part.
    So you admit that the endgame for the EU is a single country on the model of the USA. That's progress, now you just need to get your fellow Remainians to concede the point, and see how that goes down with the public.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Boris on fine form:

If Remain make this about your betters telling you what to do, they aren't going to lose, they are going to get stuffed out of sight.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Mr. Meeks, you're hardly a plebeian yourself. On the geographical front, you seem more pro-migrant than the average for the populations of both countries in which you own homes.

Mr. F, Cameron's entirely responsible for his loss of standing. He's acted with a mixture of arrogance, complacency and incompetence in recent months.

Edited extra bit: the reply to Mr. Meeks was perhaps ill-tempered. But sneering is not an endearing approach.

Mr. Meeks (2), the EU and US situations are radically different. The comparison is ridiculous.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Boris on fine form:

I wonder if he's told what to retweet by someone higher up the chain or whether he actually follows the tweets of thousands of people - many of whom aren't even household names in their own houses.

• Options
    Obama is going to run into a brick wall.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Indigo said:

taffys said:

Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

I have quoted him on here many times to counter people that think government backdoors into cryptosystems is anything other than complete insanity, and i am well aware of his view on Security Theatre. T....
    ...Do you want a world criminal database?
    Seems a little extreme when you could make do with a quick phone call or email to the national police of the country of origin. ......
    When you apply for a US Esta, the same applies. Questions about convictions. This stuff really isn;t rocket science. ...
    and...
    YOu appear to be saying that Romanian gangsters are a kind of necessary evil, a sort of price worth paying, a sort of voter tax. Accept the rough with the smooth.

Which is fine. But I think we can do it better. You just don't see the need, because you live a lifestyle that never comes into contact with the darker side of immigration. So do I, as a matter of fact, but I recognise it might be a big problem for some people.

Fact check by leftie Channel 4
    "Met figures show that Romanians are disproportionately more likely to be arrested compared with the citizens of many other countries."
    "the average Romanian is more likely to be arrested than the average Pole."
    "In 2012 Det Chief Insp Paul Barnard, then head of Dedicated Cheque and Plastic Crime Unit, told an ITV documentary: “The fact is 92 per cent of all ATM fraud we see in this country is committed by Romanian nationals. Very, very tight communities, very tight gangs.”
    http://blogs.channel4.com/factcheck/factcheck-romanian-crimewave/18207
  • Options

Mark Steyn is so on the money

They know that, if you can tie up a book or a magazine article in court, then there will be fewer books and magazine articles. As I wrote in my introduction to Geert Wilders' memoir, Marked For Death:

After I saw off the Islamic enforcers in my own country, their frontman crowed to The Canadian Arab News that, even though the Canadian Islamic Congress had struck out in three different jurisdictions in their attempt to criminalize my writing about Islam, the lawsuits had cost my magazine (he boasted) two million bucks, and thereby "attained our strategic objective — to increase the cost of publishing anti-Islamic material."

...At this stage, Ankara's strongman doesn't really need to win in court, does he? He's already nuked the gag, and damaged the guy's career. He has, in effect, imposed Islamic concepts of free speech on a major western power. Get used to it, because they've only just begun.
    http://www.steynonline.com/7515/where-the-streets-have-no-jokes-cont

The world isn't big enough for both Islam and Western secularism. Or is it?

• Options

So you admit that the endgame for the EU is a single country on the model of the USA. That's progress, now you just need to get your fellow Remainians to concede the point, and see how that goes down with the public.
    Oh don't be so stupid. Boris Johnson accused Barack Obama of advocating something that the USA would never contemplate, when in fact it has gone far further. I have said absolutely nothing about the EU's endgame, and wouldn't, not least because such a complex beast does not have a single guiding spirit.

Incidentally, the fact that Canada is not part of the USA is not for want of effort on the USA's part.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Scott_P said:

Boris on fine form:

If Remain make this about your betters telling you what to do, they aren't going to lose, they are going to get stuffed out of sight.
    If Remain make this about foreigners telling you what to do, they aren't going to lose, they are going to get stuffed out of sight
  • Options

If you are correct then that makes every word that has emanated from David Cameron's mouth in the last five years a complete falsehood.
  • Options

Mr. F, Cameron's entirely responsible for his loss of standing. He's acted with a mixture of arrogance, complacency and incompetence in recent months.

Cameron's always had a tendency towards arrogance, complacency and incompetence.

The things that have changed are that his luck has begun to run out and the Lincoln's maxim about fooling people.

• Options

Mr. Meeks, you're hardly a plebeian yourself. On the geographical front, you seem more pro-migrant than the average for the populations of both countries in which you own homes.

Edited extra bit: the reply to Mr. Meeks was perhaps ill-tempered. But sneering is not an endearing approach.

Mr. Meeks (2), the EU and US situations are radically different. The comparison is ridiculous.

I don't take kindly to my personal circumstances being used as debating points to attempt to disqualify me from having a view. A sneer in return is the least that is merited.
  • Options
    The ComRes online poll is out tonight, sadly no EU ref VI question by the looks of it

https://www.facebook.com/MrJohnRentoul/posts/1605679569755192
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001
    Indigo said:

Well since you appear to be an expert on my personal circumstance I will just leave you to your smug self-congratulation and move on to other discussions. Have a nice life.
    In fairness to Mr Meeks, you did "play the man" first !
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001

The ComRes online poll is out tonight, sadly no EU ref VI question by the looks of it

Yet they ask if you'd want to join Boris on Sleb island...
  • Options
    Betting Post
    F1: backed Alonso for points at 2.62.

Hulkenberg has a 3 place grid penalty, so Alonso starts 11th, and his car is probably faster than that (a red flag stopped him completing a final flying lap in qualifying).

Pre-race piece won't be up for a while yet, so I'm mentioning this now.
  • Options

I don't take kindly to my personal circumstances being used as debating points to attempt to disqualify me from having a view. A sneer in return is the least that is merited.

You are criticising exactly what you did to Indigo, you complete hypocrite.

• Options
    taffys said:

You are criticising exactly what you did to Indigo, you complete hypocrite.

Learn to read.
  • Options

Is amusing, if you're wealthy and elite, we're not allowed to discuss matters of immigration because we don't live in the real world.

But the plebs of PB are allowed to talk about how international trade agreements will happen, despite them have no qualifications to talk about such things.

I love it.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,911

:(
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Scott_P said:

I am waving something in your general direction.

They are not pompoms...
    Indeed. They're far too tiny.
  • Options

Is amusing, if you're wealthy and elite, we're not allowed to discuss matters of immigration because we don't live in the real world.

But the plebs of PB are allowed to talk about how international trade agreements will happen, despite them have no qualifications to talk about such things.

I love it.
    ''PB Plebs''

Nice.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

Boris on fine form:

The establishment need to be believed to be both competent and fair for it to work.

Instead they told us:

The banks are well run
    There will not be a recession in 2008
    Politicians expenses are honest
    Elections in Tower Hamlets and fair
    Nothing is happening in Rotherham
    Stafford hospital is safe
    Kids company is a deserving charity
    There will be no more than 15,000 immigrants from Eastern Europe
    Saddam Hussein has WMD
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Yet they ask if you'd want to join Boris on Sleb island...
    To be fair to ComRes, they have nailed the colours to the mast on the EURef, and said their phone poll will be more accurate than their online poll.
  • Options

There was a lengthy You Gov survey running yesterday. EU VI was included in it.
    A load of questions on the next lot of air pollution negs.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, what if you're elite but not wealthy?

Just curious, as the schoolgirl said to the nun.
  • Options
    taffys said:

I love it.
    ''PB Plebs''

Nice.
    It was was PB Leaver that raised the issue of Plebians in relation to Leavers.

I took the lead from that.
  • Options
    taffys said:

I love it.
    ''PB Plebs''

Nice.
    What did you expect. Its just the PB version of that Cameron/Ashdown/Kinnock photo.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

I love it.
    Is it it correct to assume that you're in the latter camp?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

Boris on fine form:

Quite. Personally I would take Boris' advice over the combined advice of the IMF, NATO, the BOE and the EU any day of the week and twice on Sundays. And I'm not even a particular Boris fan.

He was very blinky in the Laura K interview - I don't think he particularly believes what he's saying (but I think that would be the same if he was arguing unequivocally for Remain), but he is warming to his theme, he is getting out of second gear, and good for him.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, what if you're elite but not wealthy?

Just curious, as the schoolgirl said to the nun.

You can only be part of the elite if you're wealthy, how the definition of wealthy is up for discussion.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

Boris on fine form:

The establishment need to be believed to be both competent and fair for it to work.

Instead they told us:

The banks are well run
    Saddam Hussein has WMD
    All sadly true. Yet, when I was younger, I used to trust my leaders. Perhaps that helps sum up why young people are more pro-EU than older voters, who've grown cynical.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

I love it.
    Is it it correct to assume that you're in the latter camp?
    No.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, if that's a reference to me, then it's inaccurate, because tribunes of the people were also tribunes of the plebeians.

[There were also military tribunes, of course].

One forgives your mistake on classical history. Again :p
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

Boris on fine form:

Instead they told us:

The banks are well run
    Saddam Hussein has WMD
    You forgot

'I will resign if I don't win Thanet South'
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    shit two more months of this crap.

• Options

I love it.
    That's a fair point.

But you could also say that politicians have no qualifications to talk about much of what they're responsible for.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, if that's a reference to me, then it's inaccurate, because tribunes of the people were also tribunes of the plebeians.

[There were also military tribunes, of course].

One forgives your mistake on classical history. Again :p

Hush you. You raised the Plebians, I merely followed up.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    taffys said:

If you are correct then that makes every word that has emanated from David Cameron's mouth in the last five years a complete falsehood.
    I'm not sure. I think he probably thought he could reform the EU into some sort of two tier system with the outer tier (including us) not going to federalise. He might even think he's achieved it.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

Boris on fine form:

Quite. Personally I would take Boris' advice over the combined advice of the IMF, NATO, the BOE and the EU any day of the week and twice on Sundays. And I'm not even a particular Boris fan.

He was very blinky in the Laura K interview - I don't think he particularly believes what he's saying (but I think that would be the same if he was arguing unequivocally for Remain), but he is warming to his theme, he is getting out of second gear, and good for him.
    I think it maybe occurred to him the size and the power of the vested interest that he is taking on.

He can be forgiven for blinking
  • Options

Oh don't be so stupid. Boris Johnson accused Barack Obama of advocating something that the USA would never contemplate, when in fact it has gone far further. I have said absolutely nothing about the EU's endgame, and wouldn't, not least because such a complex beast does not have a single guiding spirit.

Incidentally, the fact that Canada is not part of the USA is not for want of effort on the USA's part.
    No it has not gone further. The histories of Germany and Italy to name but two are of different states coalescing. They are still recognised as countries, as is the US, and their behaviour since becoming countries is what is at issue. Germany and Italy have subjected themselves to a supranational authority; the US would not dream of doing so, despite advising us to the contrary.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

Boris on fine form:

Instead they told us:

The banks are well run
    Saddam Hussein has WMD
    All sadly true. Yet, when I was younger, I used to trust my leaders. Perhaps that helps sum up why young people are more pro-EU than older voters, who've grown cynical.
    Same here.
    As you go through life, the times when the establishment proves to be less than honest mount up.
    Eventually it reaches someone's tipping point.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

Boris on fine form:

Instead they told us:

The banks are well run
    Saddam Hussein has WMD
    You forgot

'I will resign if I don't win Thanet South'
    And Farage's credibility has been permanently damaged by his antics.

But is anyone here saying that we should trust what Farage has to say about the EU because he's leader of UKIP ?

There's plenty of people saying we should trust what the establishment is saying about the EU simply because it is the establishment.
This discussion has been closed.