Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The May elections less than 4 weeks away – Why so few Torie

Comments

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    edited April 2016
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

That's all very well. But while he is making this eloquent argument he is not making an eloquent argument to the voters to persuade them to his point of view. And this argument won't win the case.

You are right, of course. I'm surprised to see Dan Hannan making that mistake, he's usually very sharp.
    There are very few people - on either side of the debate - making any sort of argument at all. If it continues at this rate, we may as well toss a coin.
    I think you have to wait a couple of weeks. I think those working for Remain are getting their ducks in a row and planning a campaign launch in the very near future. I also read that Leave were looking for a quirky agency able 'to think outside the box'. I imagine as soon as they know who is leading the campaign they'll immediately appoint and the runners and riders will be under starters orders
    I don't want to dismiss your profession. Good ads can encapsulate an argument in a pithy and witty and memorable way.

But the heavy lifting of making the arguments - and doing so in a way that will really make people vote, not just to register their annoyance at the EU, but to vote for a disentanglement from it, with all the uncertainty, costs and upheaval that will necessarily entail - even if the ultimate destination is better - takes a lot of work and should have been done from the start of this year, if not before. The last few weeks and months have been wasted by Leave, IMO.

I think a lot of those who will vote Leave will do so in spite of the Leave campaign not because of it.

Of course but you need someone with the expertise to structure the campaign and research what's working. It's not ads that are going to determine the result but the electorate need to be instructed on what they should be looking at
    you're lining up for another tampon ad aren't you ?
    I was thinking of writing a header for Mike doing a comparison between a tampon ad and the 'Leave' campaign using the theme of security absorbance and the ability to jump into convertables with tight trousers.
    the reduction in tampon taxes is a huge victory and shows just how influential Cameron is.

tyson's has already given you the title for your shoot - Wings of Desire.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    Cyclefree said:

Only in Britain could there be a sort of "scandal" arising from the fact that a Prime Minister paid his taxes.

Or at least a scandal because he pissed around for a couple of days or so giving various half answers and non-denial denials before eventually telling people what we assume is the full story. Not exactly a huge surprise that the media felt they were being taken for fools, especially as he is getting a bit of form for trying to take people for fools.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

This Cameron interview with ITV that was supposed to clear the air and be transparent:

CAMERON: A lot of these criticisms are based on a fundamental misconception which is that Blairmore was set up with the idea of avoiding tax. It wasn't
    BLAIRMORE: The directors intend that the affairs of the fund should be managed and conducted so that it does not become resident in the UK for UK taxation purposes

So, is Cameron's statement a flat-out lie or does he simply have no concept of what he is talking about?

CAMERON: It was subject to full UK taxation
    BLAIRMORE: profits made are not subject to UK tax

As I understand it, all income which was received by David Cameron was subject to UK tax, as he was resident in this country.
    But the trust he invested in and received dividends from was based offshore in order to avoid UK tax and the tax of other countries other than Panama.
    Correct, but it didn't affect Cameron's own liability to income tax.
    I have no idea whether any of the funds my pension comes from have any such overseas investments. And I venture few of the rest of us know, either, where their pension fund managers invest.
    Do you use an offshore pension fund then?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,039

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

This Cameron interview with ITV that was supposed to clear the air and be transparent:

CAMERON: A lot of these criticisms are based on a fundamental misconception which is that Blairmore was set up with the idea of avoiding tax. It wasn't
    BLAIRMORE: The directors intend that the affairs of the fund should be managed and conducted so that it does not become resident in the UK for UK taxation purposes

So, is Cameron's statement a flat-out lie or does he simply have no concept of what he is talking about?

As I understand it, all income which was received by David Cameron was subject to UK tax, as he was resident in this country.
    But the trust he invested in and received dividends from was based offshore in order to avoid UK tax and the tax of other countries other than Panama.
    I have no idea whether any of the funds my pension comes from have any such overseas investments. And I venture few of the rest of us know, either, where their pension fund managers invest.
    No.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221

Not the only well known foreign publication with a famous queen on the front page this week....
    Aha: I've worked it out now!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited April 2016

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

You don't have to...it is 100% certainty that every bodies pension fund invests in something that have overseas components. If they don't, they aren't doing their job properly for you.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Meanwhile, here's a piece of real world news of longlasting importance (h/t Gregg McClymont):

https://twitter.com/gerhard_heilig/status/718446781160366080
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Cyclefree said:

Not the only well known foreign publication with a famous queen on the front page this week....
    Aha: I've worked it out now!
    It is a cracker of a story in terms of celeb tittle tattle. I know why the Sun were so keen to publish.

What I am less clear about is why the Mail are so annoyed by this ruling. My guess is they also have a big scoop that has had the kibosh on it.
  • Options
    LadyBucketLadyBucket Posts: 590
    This door stepping by journalists is harrassment in my view and should stop. Surely there is a security risk about showing where they live? I have to say, Jeremy Corbyn looks thoroughly miserable. This man definitely wants out.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236

Meanwhile, here's a piece of real world news of longlasting importance (h/t Gregg McClymont):

https://twitter.com/gerhard_heilig/status/718446781160366080

Open up those immigration taps..
  • Options
    According to my Spotify, "F##k Donald Trump" is one of the Top 50 Global viral tracks. It is a rather disappointing little ditty outlining a detail critic of TheDonald's policy platform...
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,999
    Mr. Urquhart, the Mail may feel it plays into the us versus them (elites) line, or that it (either specifically as you suggest or more generally) curbs the papers' ability to print stories that would sell.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    The only people fooled by Cameron were fools in the first place they did not have a long journey
  • Options

This door stepping by journalists is harrassment in my view and should stop. Surely there is a security risk about showing where they live? I have to say, Jeremy Corbyn looks thoroughly miserable. This man definitely wants out.

Politicians complaining about the press are like dogs complaining about fleas, as someone once said.....

• Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

Sean_F said:

It was a dollar investing fund however which meant it had to be based in a dollar area country and if you are going to have your fund abroad, you may as well do it in a country that has the lowest tax rate.

Remember this fund was set up in 1982 when the dollar was supreme and Thatcher was only just getting the UK back on track. Its not surprising that people would invest some of their money in dollar denominated funds away from UK exchange rate risk.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

This Politician Didn’t Notice The Pigs Fucking Behind Him When He Gave A TV Interview

“We like to organise our visits to send a message in pictorial terms exactly what we’re asking for,” said Lib Dem leader Willie Rennie, unaware of what the pigs were doing in the background.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jamieross/who-said-politics-was-boaring?utm_term=.dg5Da6m9A9#.ac2PrjONLN

He is a Lib Dum
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

This Politician Didn’t Notice The Pigs Fucking Behind Him When He Gave A TV Interview

“We like to organise our visits to send a message in pictorial terms exactly what we’re asking for,” said Lib Dem leader Willie Rennie, unaware of what the pigs were doing in the background.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jamieross/who-said-politics-was-boaring?utm_term=.dg5Da6m9A9#.ac2PrjONLN

He is a Lib Dum
    At least the pigs were having consensual sex, not having non-consensual oral!
  • Options
    Kay Burley haranguing a Conservative MP on Sky about publishing of the Prime Minister's tax returns and for all MPs to do the same did not like it when he suggested she should publish her own. Her response was that she works for a private company and the MP then suggested all BBC journalists should publish theirs. The whole think is getting out of hand and you have to question how many people would want to serve their country in the circumstances that all their finances were public. It is time all MP's hit back at journalist's enquiring if they pay PAYE. The MP was in favour of leave by the way.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Is this issue being guest edited by Prince Charles?
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    dr_spyn said:

One for the animal lovers and film makers amongst you.

https://twitter.com/BBCPhilipSim/status/718400480548941825

The whole interview is even better:

" “We like to organise our visits to send a message in pictorial terms exactly what we’re asking for, and I think this does it very well today,” said Rennie as the pigs squealed in the background. “I don’t quite know how but it certainly does it in some way, somewhere, and somebody will work it out at some point.” "
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Just imagine if Prince Philip had been the celebrity husband with an injunction about being at the centre of a threesome...
    I couldn't possibly imagine that the present case is about some old queen ....
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Cameron's approval rating is going south.

New YouGov research reveals David Cameron’s approval rating is now at the lowest level since July 2013 and is for the first time lower than Jeremy Corbyn’s. 34% say David Cameron is doing well as Prime Minister and 58% say he is doing badly, meanwhile 30% say Jeremy Corbyn is doing well and 52% say he is doing badly.
    Was this before yesterday's admission from the PM ?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,360

If you have a subscription to the FT you must read this account of lunch with Nigel Farage:

http://app.ft.com/cms/s/864c3a96-fbf1-11e5-b5f5-070dca6d0a0d.html?siteedition=uk

If you haven't, get one.

"He came back with a face like a National Front Manifesto."

I'm guessing that is not good. Very funny piece though.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/718440629433475073

There is plenty of prospect of those numbers getting worse for the PM.

The Rallings & Thrasher projections don't leave too much of a leeway for Tory gains in the Locals if things get a bit worse for the Tories.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited April 2016
    Speedy said:

Yes.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Just imagine if Prince Philip had been the celebrity husband with an injunction about being at the centre of a threesome...
    What you mean he isn't?
    If he were capable of such exploits at 94 then far from getting an injunction he'd be standing on top of Buckingham Palace with a megaphone boasting about it.
    I have terrible terrible images now burned into my mind...I think I will need to seek counselling.
    Hoots - a classic PB comments thread from the old days - well done guys :lol:
  • Options

malcolmg said:

He is a Lib Dum
    Do you mean non-consensual offal ?
  • Options
    JackW said:

malcolmg said:

He is a Lib Dum
    That's a very bad joke...... indeed it's awful!
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

As a fellow Telegraph subscriber, can you log in since new website launched? Been trying for three days and it hangs on Beacon server connection

AnneJGP said:

@AlastairMeeks Thanks for the link to the government EU Ref leaflet, which you posted for me on an earlier thread.

Sorry, can't help - I let my subscription lapse a few weeks ago as I wasn't using the website very often.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Kay Burley haranguing a Conservative MP on Sky about publishing of the Prime Minister's tax returns and for all MPs to do the same did not like it when he suggested she should publish her own. Her response was that she works for a private company and the MP then suggested all BBC journalists should publish theirs. The whole think is getting out of hand and you have to question how many people would want to serve their country in the circumstances that all their finances were public. It is time all MP's hit back at journalist's enquiring if they pay PAYE. The MP was in favour of leave by the way.

I remember an MP getting pissed with a BBC auto-cutie a few years back and basically said I earn £X, now much do you earn..come on...come on...and she blurted out "over £100K"...

Not sure the media want to get into a pissing contest over pay and conditions and tax efficient payment. It will be like pigs and s##t, all covered in it.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    JackW said:

malcolmg said:

He is a Lib Dum
    You are offal, but I like you, as Cameron didn't say.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

As a fellow Telegraph subscriber, can you log in since new website launched? Been trying for three days and it hangs on Beacon server connection

AnneJGP said:

@AlastairMeeks Thanks for the link to the government EU Ref leaflet, which you posted for me on an earlier thread.

Sorry, can't help - I let my subscription lapse a few weeks ago as I wasn't using the website very often.
    I have logged in ok but the new design is poor and it seems very slow
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    There are 195 sovereign nations, 167 manage to exist without being in the EU, including Norway and Switzerland. We were enormously successful before joining, we'd thrive outside.
  • Options

I remember an MP getting pissed with a BBC auto-cutie a few years back and basically said I earn £X, now much do you earn..come on...come on...and she blurted out "over £100K"...

Not sure the media want to get into a pissing contest over pay and conditions and tax efficient payment. It will be like pigs and s##t, all covered in it.
    Exactly and it is time the MP's started hitting back at these self righteous attitudes
  • Options

JackW said:

malcolmg said:

He is a Lib Dum
    I haven't the heart to go on with this.
  • Options

JackW said:

malcolmg said:

He is a Lib Dum
    I haven't the heart to go on with this.
    No guts eh ?? ...
  • Options

Exactly and it is time the MP's started hitting back at these self righteous attitudes
    "The media" don't pass laws, MPs do and are paid by us, we must hold them to account.
  • Options
    OKC..Good.. boring everyone to death with it..
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Speedy said:

chestnut said:

Cameron's approval rating is going south.

New YouGov research reveals David Cameron’s approval rating is now at the lowest level since July 2013 and is for the first time lower than Jeremy Corbyn’s. 34% say David Cameron is doing well as Prime Minister and 58% say he is doing badly, meanwhile 30% say Jeremy Corbyn is doing well and 52% say he is doing badly.

But of a downward trend for our Dave there. Perhaps he was right about two bits of Weetabix!
  • Options

There are 195 sovereign nations, 167 manage to exist without being in the EU, including Norway and Switzerland. We were enormously successful before joining, we'd thrive outside.

In the early 1970's we were not enormously successful. We were a bit sh*t, frankly. We were doing worse than Europe and didn't really know what we should be after the end of Empire. There was a colossal lack of self-confidence. It was one reason why many in the political and bureaucratic class thought that joining Europe would be good for us. Europe was seen as the future and dynamic in a way that Britain wasn't - not in the 1970's anyway.

• Options
    DavidL said:

If you have a subscription to the FT you must read this account of lunch with Nigel Farage:

http://app.ft.com/cms/s/864c3a96-fbf1-11e5-b5f5-070dca6d0a0d.html?siteedition=uk

If you haven't, get one.

the interviewer sounds like a right boring prig.

I actually felt sorry for Farage.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

The Rallings & Thrasher projections don't leave too much of a leeway for Tory gains in the Locals if things get a bit worse for the Tories.

The Remain campaign pretty much had Cameron's personal appeal to rely on - and bugger all else. With Cameron's numbers tanking, what are Remain going to do? Who are they going to wheel out to bolster their flagging campaign if the lustre has worn off the PM?
  • Options

"The media" don't pass laws, MPs do and are paid by us, we must hold them to account.
    That is the reason for the declaration of interests - requiring publication of their tax returns is simply an invasion of privacy
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

In the early 1970's we were not enormously successful. We were a bit sh*t, frankly. We were doing worse than Europe and didn't really know what we should be after the end of Empire. There was a colossal lack of self-confidence. It was one reason why many in the political and bureaucratic class thought that joining Europe would be good for us. Europe was seen as the future and dynamic in a way that Britain wasn't - not in the 1970's anyway.

When you say we were doing worse than Europe what do you mean? All of it, some of it, most of it, or just Malta?

This isn't about being part of a continent its about a bureaucratic cartel, it didn't exist in the 70s. The European Union is not Europe and the referendum is not about Europe.
  • Options
    In the early 70s..if you drove or moved away from the main roads in Italy, France,Spain,Portugal...then the you entered serious third world territory
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052
    Cyclefree said:

Absolutely right. There was another problem: a lot of the Commonwealth countries were raising trade barriers to Britain to protect local industries, or were opening up to the world (creating competition for British firms who'd had previously captive markets).

So, in India, British banks were being pushed out. In Canada, it was clear that trade relations with the US were more important than with the UK. Australia and New Zealand cared more: but they were a long way away, and services were much more local than they are now in an Internet age.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    Cyclefree said:

That's true of course. But over a longer time scale Britain is an incredible success story.

And what a good job British governments in the past didn't choose to react to a decade or so of bad economic performance or strategic setbacks by selling out the country's independence. There were plenty of such periods, within a generally positive trend.
  • Options

Speedy said:

The Remain campaign pretty much had Cameron's personal appeal to rely on - and bugger all else. With Cameron's numbers tanking, what are Remain going to do? Who are they going to wheel out to bolster their flagging campaign if the lustre has worn off the PM?
    Cameron is at his best when his back is to the wall - bit premature to write him off
  • Options

That is the reason for the declaration of interests - requiring publication of their tax returns is simply an invasion of privacy
    Don't apply for the job then.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052

Cyclefree said:

When you say we were doing worse than Europe what do you mean? All of it, some of it, most of it, or just Malta?

This isn't about being part of a continent its about a bureaucratic cartel, it didn't exist in the 70s. The European Union is not Europe and the referendum is not about Europe.
    I think what Cyclefree is alluding to is that Germany, France and Italy had all undergone economic miracles of one extent or another. Since they'd gotten together they had grown faster than the UK - often by big margins. We'd been European top dog in 1950 in terms of GDP. By 1975, we were behind West Germany and France, and Italy had closed the gap markedly.

Our traditional empire markets weren't as helpful as they used to be. And we had a scolretic labour market, which restricted labour mobility, and ensured we were bottom of the European FDI charts.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

It wasn't a condition when they applied :p
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

I think what Cyclefree is alluding to is that Germany, France and Italy had all undergone economic miracles of one extent or another. Since they'd gotten together they had grown faster than the UK - often by big margins. We'd been European top dog in 1950 in terms of GDP. By 1975, we were behind West Germany and France, and Italy had closed the gap markedly.

Our traditional empire markets weren't as helpful as they used to be. And we had a scolretic labour market, which restricted labour mobility, and ensured we were bottom of the European FDI charts.
    No idea what cyclefree was alluding to but she clearly states Europe. There are/were parts of Europe that do better than us and vice versa but that is irrelevant. The referendum is about the European Union not a geographical entity.

Let's all vow to be accurate and honest to the best of our knowledge, after all thats what both sides are carping about.
  • Options

Speedy said:

Cameron is at his best when his back is to the wall - bit premature to write him off
    Well it's not his worst with yougov, -31 was his worst in May of 2012, but I expect that he will touch that in yougov's next survey.

Last time Cameron did recover, but he needed 2 years for that, now he has 10 weeks until the referendum.
    And on the critical question of the day, "Who can be Trusted on tax avoidance" Cameron get's 68% would not trust, 23% would.
  • Options

Bit late a my age but I have been involved in lots of organisations in the charity and voluntary sector and had no problem declaring an interest when necessary
  • Options

Bit late a my age but I have been involved in lots of organisations in the charity and voluntary sector and had no problem declaring an interest when necessary
    I stood for parliament and the scrutiny is intense, it goes with the territory, quite rightly. Don't get elected and then grizzle if the electorate ask questions.
  • Options

OKC..Good.. boring everyone to death with it..

Indeed.
    Although to the horror of my N American relations I do like a nice plate of liver and onions. Or stuffed hearts. Or steak and kidney pie.
    They seem to shocked at the idea of putting anything with steak except eggs!
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Well it's not his worst with yougov, -31 was his worst in May of 2012, but I expect that he will touch that in yougov's next survey.

Last time Cameron did recover, but he needed 2 years for that, now he has 10 weeks until the referendum.
    And on the critical question of the day, "Who can be Trusted on tax avoidance" Cameron get's 68% would not trust, 23% would.
    He has an opportunity on the 12th May meeting in London to demonstrate his desire to deal with the issues. Many seem to have forgotten that he has outlawed bearer shares already and the new register comes into force in June
  • Options
    LucyJonesLucyJones Posts: 651
    Just read the Farage interview in the FT. I'm not a subscriber, so I guess it is a "free" one" : http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/864c3a96-fbf1-11e5-b5f5-070dca6d0a0d.html#axzz45G0PRkOk

I found it quite interesting. There would seem to be a bit more depth to Farage's character than the one -dimensional figure some media portraits might paint.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    Cameron speaks warmly of his late father and is thankful to him for a happy childhood. But Cameron has come under fire for the decisions of his father. The pinkos don't like the fact that Cameron went to Eton - presumably decided by his father (and mother?) . And Cameron was presumably persuaded to buy into the fund which the father set up. However, I suspect Cameron has no regrets.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

That is indeed what I was alluding to. I think even more important than that was a lack of confidence in our ruling class, post-Suez, which made them feel that the UK could not sensibly thrive alone.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Before I settle down to Mrs Cole's and my evening entertainment, can I wish all those going to the "do" tonight an enjoyable evening, and remember, MP's and Peers manage to live the high life on around £1 per night.
    (See one of yesterdays threads)
    Whereas Nigel Farage was castigated on here for failing to take more than a (shared) £133 off the FT for lunch!
  • Options
    Perdix...if all of us regretted the things we did in early life then the hospitals for the mentally ill would be overflowing..Do what you have to do that time and then move on..with confidence.
  • Options
    perdix said:

Cameron speaks warmly of his late father and is thankful to him for a happy childhood. But Cameron has come under fire for the decisions of his father. The pinkos don't like the fact that Cameron went to Eton - presumably decided by his father (and mother?) . And Cameron was presumably persuaded to buy into the fund which the father set up. However, I suspect Cameron has no regrets.

Cameron has come under fire for appearing not to tell the truth. He didn't choose his school or his Dad's occupation, he did choose to not be entirely honest.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

No idea what cyclefree was alluding to but she clearly states Europe. There are/were parts of Europe that do better than us and vice versa but that is irrelevant. The referendum is about the European Union not a geographical entity.

Let's all vow to be accurate and honest to the best of our knowledge, after all thats what both sides are carping about.
    In the early 1970's we were close to being a basket case. We were seen as the sick man of Europe. The contrast with what we had been was painful and no-one really had any idea how to turn things around. Having rather sniffily derided the EEC in 1958 and been turned down in the early 1960's and various attempts to cure Britain's economic woes (In Place of Strife / Selsdon Man etc) having failed, the only big idea left was to join the Common Market. It was seen as the future.

Britain as a success story, as a place people wanted to come to, rather than leave, came later. And after quite some pain.
  • Options
    Personally, I'm all in favour of having all tax returns made public. After the initial culture shock, we could all grow up.
  • Options

Speedy said:

Look, I've been a cheer-leader for Cameron for yonks, voted for him to be leader and have put in the hard yards to get him as our Prime Minister. But these are not happy times for Dave. He may have had issues in the past that he has come through, but you can't ignore his current cack-handedness - and the impact this could have on the Remain campaign. A campaign which as far as I can see, amounts to the Prime Minister giving soothing words that we should "trust him, it will all be alright dear..." Well, that trust is heading south, and fast.

Maybe Dr. Evil has stolen his mojo?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

In the early 1970's we were close to being a basket case. We were seen as the sick man of Europe. The contrast with what we had been was painful and no-one really had any idea how to turn things around. Having rather sniffily derided the EEC in 1958 and been turned down in the early 1960's and various attempts to cure Britain's economic woes (In Place of Strife / Selsdon Man etc) having failed, the only big idea left was to join the Common Market. It was seen as the future.

Britain as a success story, as a place people wanted to come to, rather than leave, came later. And after quite some pain.
    I'm really not sure of your point. My point is that you, some might say deliberately, replaced EU, with Europe. You frequently deride campaigners for their paucity of integrity.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536

'In the early 1970's we were close to being a basket case. We were seen as the sick man of Europe. The contrast with what we had been was painful and no-one really had any idea how to turn things around. Having rather sniffily derided the EEC in 1958 and been turned down in the early 1960's and various attempts to cure Britain's economic woes (In Place of Strife / Selsdon Man etc) having failed, the only big idea left was to join the Common Market. It was seen as the future.

Britain as a success story, as a place people wanted to come to, rather than leave, came later. And after quite some pain.'

The irony of course is, that more or less exactly at the moment we joined, the post-war growth miracle in most of Europe was coming to an end. The timing could hardly have been worse.

Re the 50s and 60s, much of continental Europe's 'outperformance' must have been connected to the effects of reconstruction. Certainly productivity growth was extremely rapid in that period in places like Germany and Italy - and has never come close to reaching those levels since.

But of course the UK made lots of very bad economic policy choices as well - on the currency system, on labour markets, on industrial policy, on fiscal policy, on taxation etc, etc,
  • Options

Personally, I'm all in favour of having all tax returns made public. After the initial culture shock, we could all grow up.

On the face of it, yes. But it would make for some truly horrible HR issues when everybody discovers what (a) their bosses and (b) their colleagues actually earn!

But coming from that, I think the best argument of making all tax returns public would be to make sex discrimination in the workplace that much harder to hide. "Why is there this pay gap between male and female employees?" would become very public very quickly.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,299
    Worth bearing in mind there are still nearly 3 months to go until the EU referendum.

As usual, most people on here are getting very, very, very excited about what is happening today.

Now I have no idea what the result of the EU ref will be but what I do know is that the key swing voters in the EU ref are going to decide how to vote in the final 7 to 14 days - and they will make their decision based upon what they hear and read at that time.

Of course this whole saga has made Cameron look bad but it's all come far too early to make a decisive impact on the EU ref. 8 weeks later and it might have made a difference.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116

DavidL said:

If you haven't, get one.

the interviewer sounds like a right boring prig.

I actually felt sorry for Farage.
    "The wine, a fruity Bordeaux, is excellent too. I should visit the 1980s more often."

What's the approved millennial wine choice? A Californian imitation of Bordeaux perhaps?
  • Options

Speedy said:

Look, I've been a cheer-leader for Cameron for yonks, voted for him to be leader and have put in the hard yards to get him as our Prime Minister. But these are not happy times for Dave. He may have had issues in the past that he has come through, but you can't ignore his current cack-handedness - and the impact this could have on the Remain campaign. A campaign which as far as I can see, amounts to the Prime Minister giving soothing words that we should "trust him, it will all be alright dear..." Well, that trust is heading south, and fast.

Maybe Dr. Evil has stolen his mojo?
    He is in a crisis but he has not done anything illegal and he most probably will hang on but I would expect him to be looking to stand down well before 2019 now and enjoy his family life
  • Options

would you like to lead by example and post yours on PB ?
  • Options
    @MarqueeMark It would also enable non-governmental investigation of questions such as whether particular groups were disadvantaged in the employment market (and perhaps identify remedies that might assist too).

I really can't see a downside. If bosses would be embarrassed if their staff knew how much they were being paid, perhaps they should ask themselves whether they are overpaid or whether they should share more of the fruits of the enterprise with their workers?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

rcs1000 said:

Cyclefree said:

I'm really not sure of your point. My point is that you, some might say deliberately, replaced EU, with Europe. You frequently deride campaigners for their paucity of integrity.
    No - I did not do it deliberately. It's been a long day and I was typing quickly. Perhaps rather than jump to conclusions you might use some common-sense. I have not accused you or other PBers of a lack of integrity and I'd appreciate it if you didn't make baseless accusations.

My point is that at the time when we first joined what is now the EU Britain was a much less successful and less self-confident place than it is now. And it is one reason why the decision made sense then.

Frankly, I've had it with the EU referendum. When even the side you are inclined to support can be so snippy, there are better things to be doing. The evening is light: I have some summer bedding plugs to plant out and a drink and a good book to read on the verandah sounds a lot more appealing at the moment.

Have a good evening all.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236

Perdix...if all of us regretted the things we did in early life then the hospitals for the mentally ill would be overflowing..

They are. I don't think that's much to do with a surfeit of regret though.
  • Options
    @Alanbrooke It's an all-or-nothing thing. I'm not prepared to have my own tax return pored over by people who have no intention of releasing their own.

As it happens, my tax return is pretty boring.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    That is a great idea. Why not? It would certainly ensure that people are much more transparent.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,060

On the face of it, yes. But it would make for some truly horrible HR issues when everybody discovers what (a) their bosses and (b) their colleagues actually earn!

(Snip)
    Many moons ago, a tech firm I worked for sent an email out to all staff including a word document.

The person who sent it attempted an Exchange recall of the email, without realising that recall did not work as most of us did not use Exchange (in fact, we had an email client developed in-house). They then sent out an another email asking for the previous one to be deleted without the attachment being read.

Naturally, someone downloaded the document, did a few crtl-Z's to undo alterations, and discovered the salaries of most members of staff.

It caused a certain amount of discontent, but no legal problems I was aware of.

This is one reason to send documents as PDFs or a.n.other, not Word documents.
  • Options
    Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson will miss the rest of the season with a knee injury and could be a doubt for England's Euro 2016 campaign.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36001161
  • Options
    Hope everyone enjoys the drinkies tonight.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

(Snip)
    Many moons ago, a tech firm I worked for sent an email out to all staff including a word document.

The person who sent it attempted an Exchange recall of the email, without realising that recall did not work as most of us did not use Exchange (in fact, we had an email client developed in-house). They then sent out an another email asking for the previous one to be deleted without the attachment being read.

Naturally, someone downloaded the document, did a few crtl-Z's to undo alterations, and discovered the salaries of most members of staff.

Haven't google staff been sending around a document internally where they have been crowd sourcing every bodies salaries, and it is the bosses that aren't happy about this.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

And then the blackmailers, extortionists, kidnappers, burglars, fraudsters, robbers wouldn't waste their time on people who have little.

Efficient, as well as transparent.
  • Options

(Snip)

Haven't google been sending around a document internally where they have been crowd sourcing every bodies salaries?
    Not heard about that. What was the purpose?
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    chestnut said:

And then the blackmailers, extortionists, kidnappers, burglars, fraudsters, robbers wouldn't waste their time on people who have little.

I would think what would happen is the really wealthy will hide / minimize the appearance of their true riches from any record, while there will be fights in the office because Bob earns £2 more than Tim.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Blackmailers, extortionists, kidnappers, burglars, fraudsters, and robbers have plenty of ways of knowing who is rich and who is not. They've had centuries of experience.
  • Options
    It's not surprising that the leaflet has rubbed people the wrong way:
    https://twitter.com/montie/status/718424057591554049
  • Options
    Me,,,my Accountant...and the Tax Collector.. see my tax returns...that is enough..
  • Options
    edited April 2016

(Snip)

Haven't google been sending around a document internally where they have been crowd sourcing every bodies salaries?
    Not heard about that. What was the purpose?
    http://qz.com/458615/theres-reportedly-a-big-secret-spreadsheet-where-google-employees-share-their-salaries/

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/07/21/ex-google-employee-exposes-unequal-pay-with-spreadsheet/

I think internally employees were concerned about uneven pay (and from what I understand it is VERY uneven in terms of people in similar sounding roles can have vastly different salaries) and something to do with their bonus system which is peer reviewed.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    I also think when push comes to shove, Cameron is hardly glowing with pride that his dad devoted his obvious intelligence and gainful employment to ensure that rich people pay less tax. Apart from drug dealing, people trafficking, or pimping, I doubt there are many professions less worthy of respect. But he's his dad, and his dad has used his wealth to give his son the best possible life. And DC has turned out remarkably well and has a lot to thank his dad for.

It would be a better narrative for DC if his father had been a celebrated war hero, or nobel peace prize winner. But you take what you get.

perdix said:

Cameron has come under fire for appearing not to tell the truth. He didn't choose his school or his Dad's occupation, he did choose to not be entirely honest.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,354

This is what's done in Norway - seems to work uncontroversially there. I'd be happy to do it myself, though they're unexciting - a bunch at 20% and a bunch at 40%.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
    Enjoy your drinks tonight.
  • Options
    New York - Emerson

Trump 56 .. Cruz 22 .. Kasich 17
    Clinton 56 .. Sanders 38

http://www.theecps.com/
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Late injuries to my fantasy football team!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

This is what's done in Norway - seems to work uncontroversially there. I'd be happy to do it myself, though they're unexciting - a bunch at 20% and a bunch at 40%.
    Though the really interesting bit is what people deliberately do not declare on their tax return. What they declare is tax paid, the untaxed money is not on their, whether cash in hand or undeclared off shore assets.

Cheers to all at the pb drinkies!
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

But coming from that, I think the best argument of making all tax returns public would be to make sex discrimination in the workplace that much harder to hide. "Why is there this pay gap between male and female employees?" would become very public very quickly.

To be fair then you would have to release people's qualifications, years of experience, time off work, age at recruitment, years in current rank etc otherwise a lot of overexcited campaigners are going to draw completely the wrong conclusions from the data, and would no doubt be shocked to learn that although there are undoubtedly difference in pay from gender, there are also differences of pay from all sorts of other things, and some times the two are linked in the most unlikely way.

This discussion has been closed.