Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The disintegrating establishment

Comments

• Options
    ydoethur said:

Why is Billings on the field?

Samuels is still the key here. As he was when they won before.

Hales was off the field.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321
    edited April 2016
    If Willey strikes twice in his first over of a spell, are the opposition cold-cocked?

Edit - thank you TSE. Not the greatest of matches for poor old Hales, is it?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    Another one bites the dust! :-)
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    Sean_F said:

PClipp said:

Sean_F said:

Everyone knows what my views are on Brexit. I find it more interesting to write an article on what I expect to see, rather than what I would like to see.

I partly agree with Alistair Meeks about "lack of coherence" but I see that as a strength, rather than a weakness. Different Leave factions can appeal to discrete sections of the electorate.

Yes, but...

What happens when LEAVE win?

What decision have we come to?
    At the very least, a decision that we will no longer be part of a process of Europe-wide political integration. Maybe we actually took that decision when we stayed out of the Euro, and a Leave vote would simply be ratifying that.

I don't know if British politics would then move in a rightward or leftward direction.
    I think you are right about the significance of staying out of the euro. The next logical step is of course formal exit.

But 1) there are quite a few slow learners out there 2) there is a big chunk of the civil service/FO that haven't given up on getting the UK to eventually embrace Eurozone membership and all that goes with it.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,096
    CBS/Yougov

Wisconsin

GOP
    Cruz 43
    Trump 37
    Kasich 18

Dems
    Sanders 49
    Clinton 47

New York

GOP
    Trump 52
    Cruz 21
    Kasich 20

Dems
    Clinton 53
    Sanders 43

Pennsylvania

GOP
    Trump 47
    Cruz 29
    Kasich 22

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/poll-gop-divided-april-primaries-loom-ted-cruz-wisconsin-donald-trump-new-york-pennsylvania/
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,865

I Really DO love me some Willey.

Is the batsman's Holding, the bowler's Willey?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

So how many balls will WI win this with to spare?

4 overs I would guess. Or to put it another way England have 16 overs to bowl them out!
    I would guess by 5 wickets with three overs to spare.

The one thing that makes me hesitate is that it doesn't seem to be a boundaries pitch and Windies are rubbish at running singles. But I suspect they will find it a lot easier to get the ball away than England did.
    Another prediction of mine on cricket goes agley. Even a Steve Harmison over couldn't see them home in 17 overs from here.

Tip for punters - when you see what I've predicted, assume the opposite will happen and you'll make a fortune.

DavidL seems to have been pretty close though.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,096
    edited April 2016
    Sean_F said:

PClipp said:

Sean_F said:

Everyone knows what my views are on Brexit. I find it more interesting to write an article on what I expect to see, rather than what I would like to see.

I partly agree with Alistair Meeks about "lack of coherence" but I see that as a strength, rather than a weakness. Different Leave factions can appeal to discrete sections of the electorate.

Yes, but...

At the very least, a decision that we will no longer be part of a process of Europe-wide political integration. Maybe we actually took that decision when we stayed out of the Euro, and a Leave vote would simply be ratifying that.

I don't know if British politics would then move in a rightward or leftward direction.
    If Leave win we become like Norway and Switzerland ie outside the EU competely, rather than like Sweden, Denmark and Hungary as we are at the moment ie outside the Eurozone but in the EU
  • Options
    tim80tim80 Posts: 99
    PClipp said:

Sean_F said:

Yes, but...

It's simple. We will have come to a decision to leave the European Union, to be effected by the government of the day, in this case the Conservative majority government.

Leave does not become the government of the country and UKIP will still have 1 MP. All that happens is that the MPs we elect to the House of Commons will, in time, hold more power over our laws than they do today.

The referendum is a binary choice. It is not an election. But it will determine how much power our elected representatives have.
  • Options
    tim80tim80 Posts: 99
    Mistake in quotes below

PClipp said what it says Sean Fear said.

And I am saying what it says PClipp says
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Devastating piece on the EU's bleak future decade by Wolfgang Streeck in the London Review of Books:

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v38/n07/wolfgang-streeck/scenario-for-a-wonderful-tomorrow

His view of Merkel is about as flattering as mine.
  • Options
    tim80 said:

Mistake in quotes below

PClipp said what it says Sean Fear said.

And I am saying what it says PClipp says

Got that. And I agree entirely with what you said.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    if you're not watching the cricket you should be
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898

Couple of big hits will swing this.
  • Options

I thought it was only Ashes Test matches that could make me this tense/sick with worry.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

JackW said:

JackW said:

Those who are critical of thread leaders always have the option of penning their own disinterested narrative.

Do pb moderators (all for REMAIN) invite the articles?
    Write one and find out.

Essentially thread leaders have to be coherent and with a nod to betting (clue in site title) but impartiality is not a requirement and the comments section clearly allows for substantial counter argument.

Perish the thought it might drive up site traffic .. :smile:
    When was the last time a guest header submitted on spec was published?

It's clearly very rare - combine that with multiple reports of submissions going unacknowledged, let alone published, it's clear that "why don't you submit an article?" is an unhelpful suggestion.
    Its a Tory front , not very difficult.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221

JackW said:

JackW said:

Those who are critical of thread leaders always have the option of penning their own disinterested narrative.

Write one and find out.

Essentially thread leaders have to be coherent and with a nod to betting (clue in site title) but impartiality is not a requirement and the comments section clearly allows for substantial counter argument.

It's clearly very rare - combine that with multiple reports of submissions going unacknowledged, let alone published, it's clear that "why don't you submit an article?" is an unhelpful suggestion.
    Mine was - about a month ago - http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/03/06/cyclefrees-analysis-of-the-remain-campaign/.
  • Options

We can't, it was flogged to Sky which only a few people have.

I've got the radio on though.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

Write one and find out.

Its a Tory front , not very difficult.
    Nonsense - all true Tories are Leavers, I've heard.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

We can't, it was flogged to Sky which only a few people have.

I've got the radio on though.
    well, me too + almost live highlights
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,954
    England's match. 14 is what I reckon ~ par is for a last over, not 19.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Sean_F said:

On the subject of the establishment losing its hold, for decades, voters have expected steady growth in living standards, and have come to view it as the norm. In return, they've voted for moderate centre right or social democratic politicians. Now, they see that living standards have stagnated. Worse, they see the benefits of globalisation going to a narrow section of the population, while the costs fall on the majority of the population.

So, is it any wonder that they're losing faith in the establishment, if the establishment can't deliver the goods?

Great post.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,349
    Can't breathe.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,383
    oh no!
  • Options
    Seems fitting a Kiwi should bowl the last over with the trophy in the balance. They were much the best side even though they choked against England.
  • Options
    Should have given the final over to Root.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Can't breathe.

Don't make that your last post of the day, or else we'll all be worried!
  • Options
    oh no x 2!
  • Options
    oh no x 3!!!

(you get the picture)
  • Options
    OMG
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,532
    edited April 2016
    Ferfuxsake
  • Options
    god this is worse than Bangladesh
  • Options
    Well, shit. Still I wrote England off after their 20 overs, so it's not too bad.

At least this match went back and forth, not often that happens.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    BEN what have you done....
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,926
    Well that was shit!
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    Haha - England!

Ben Stokes - LOL!!

Love it for the W.Indies!!
  • Options
    I can't believe they threw that away!!!!!
  • Options
    well if you're going to do it, I can't think of a better way...
  • Options
    To think I was pleased Samuels was off strike. Incredible striking.

What a way to win a T20. Gutted but that was brilliant.
  • Options
    Well.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Well, that was suboptimal. Still, the best team through the whole tournament won.
  • Options
    4 6's to win it - pure skill and class!! - W.Indies deserve it!!

They were the best team of the tournament. Well played lads!
  • Options
    Four straight sixes to win!! Well, on that basis they deserve it. Poor Stokes.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    MTimT said:

Devastating piece on the EU's bleak future decade by Wolfgang Streeck in the London Review of Books:

What I found most interesting was that Sandau thought that the problems with the Eurozone could have been managed if Britain had been a part of it from the start. That sounds like wishful thinking to me and the huge financial sector in the UK would have caused big problems post-2008 for the whole Eurozone. However it's nice to know there are still some people out there (if not exactly everyone) who look back nostalgically at the times when Britain ruled the waves.
  • Options
    Ben Stokes = choker
  • Options
    1) This is an England team on the ascendancy, they've improved from where they were a year ago

2) I hope this doesn't break Stokes
  • Options
    DavidL said:

At least you're still breathing!
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Haha - England!

Ben Stokes - LOL!!

Murali, you are an arse. But Windies deserve it.
  • Options

MTimT said:

What I found most interesting was that Sandau thought that the problems with the Eurozone could have been managed if Britain had been a part of it from the start. That sounds like wishful thinking to me and the huge financial sector in the UK would have caused big problems post-2008 for the whole Eurozone. However it's nice to know there are still some people out there (if not exactly everyone) who look back nostalgically at the times when Britain ruled the waves.
    I drift into this way of thinking re: our EU membership. But's a sort of arrogance to assume that Europe need our hand on the tiller.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

murali_s said:

Haha - England!

Ben Stokes - LOL!!

He's just showing why everyone's glad that India didn't make the final.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Yes that's a very good article. This ppgh is pretty spot on

'The answer is that Merkel’s immigration policy offers an object lesson in what other countries can expect from Germany acting European. Just as the United States sees the world as an extended playing field for its domestic political economy, Germany has come to consider the European Union as an extension of itself, where what is right for Germany is by definition right for all others'

That is indeed exactly how they think
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    Braithwaite. Is that just the greatest sporting spectacle I have ever seen???
  • Options
    MTimT said:

murali_s said:

Haha - England!

Ben Stokes - LOL!!

Yep. I didn't actually think murali could go any lower in my estimation but he has managed it today. Complete tosser

Well done West Indies. Worthy winners and nice to see a couple of records there both from Samuels and Braithwaite.

A great final.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,224

MTimT said:

murali_s said:

Haha - England!

Ben Stokes - LOL!!

He's just showing why everyone's glad that India didn't make the final.
    India?
  • Options
    murali_s said:

4 6's to win it - pure skill and class!! - W.Indies deserve it!!

They were the best team of the tournament. Well played lads!

Not watching but I do remember the first cricket match I ever watched had Kapil Dev do the same thing. No idea it was such a rare thing. Also saw Mark Waugh do it live vs Glamorgan - off the first four balls of the over too. He then scuffed the fifth one to long on for a single, slapping his bat against the ground in frustration.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,941
    Worth remembering that Stokes bowled a brilliant final over in the semi. He's strong enough to get over this.

Will Marlon Samuels salute him?
  • Options

MTimT said:

I have long thought that this is one of the underlying driving factors behind Tory Wet Europhilia. They have never quite got over losing the Empire and had the arrogance to think that if only Britain was completely engaged in the EEC/U project we would bound to be leading it eventually.

It is a most unpleasant view but one I think people like Heath and Clark instinctively held.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    murali_s said:

Haha - England!

Ben Stokes - LOL!!

West indies may deserve it,but Haha - England,you really do hate this country don't you.
  • Options
    Surely this is the end of Morgan's England career? Time to put Taylor in the side and give him the captaincy too.

Why did he not bowl one of his frontline spinners on a turning wicket?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    Good evening, everyone.

Very entertaining F1 race. I shall set about writing the post-race piece.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    Impossible to be gutted after watching that. Sheer, unbelievable brilliance and class. Go W.Indies. Now get your test team sorted
    DavidL said:

• Options
    Mr. Tyson, I don't know. Were you watching a replay of the 2011 Canadian Grand Prix? :p
  • Options
    Also I guess the end for Gayle. Well, he debuted for the Windies in the first series defeat they had suffered in England since the days of Basil D'Oliveira, it's apposite after all the poundings where he was a lone good player that he signs off with a win he didn't contribute to!
  • Options
    IPL next lads - please watch it - it's very entertaining and it's the biggest domestic cricket tournament out there! Embrace it and embrace India as the new home of cricket...
  • Options

murali_s said:

Haha - England!

Ben Stokes - LOL!!

West indies may deserve it,but Haha - England,you really do hate this country don't you.
    He's just a bogstandard troll. Since the admins don't grant us Vanilla's ignore function, we just have to put up with it.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Impossible to be gutted after watching that. Sheer, unbelievable brilliance and class. Go W.Indies. Now get your test team sorted

DavidL said:

I would love to see the West Indies back challenging at the top of Test Cricket. I read a number of years ago about how cricket in the Caribbean was being driven out by Basketball and I would hope that this sort of spectacle would start to reverse that trend.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Philip_Thompson

'To dismiss Gove and others as "the crazies" is shockingly arrogant.'

The longer the campaign goes on the more shrill & hysterical Mr Meeks becomes,maybe someone should tell him project fear and abuse doesn't work.

Massive turnoff for anyone that hasn't decided which way to vote.

• Options
    tyson said:

DavidL said:

Won't happen, sadly. T20 is where the money is. It's only in England and Austealia that test cricket really matters these days.

• Options

tyson said:

DavidL said:

I would love to see the West Indies back challenging at the top of Test Cricket. I read a number of years ago about how cricket in the Caribbean was being driven out by Basketball and I would hope that this sort of spectacle would start to reverse that trend.

T20 is where it's at now, though. Great test players can play it very well, but it does not create great test players.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

Surely this is the end of Morgan's England career? Time to put Taylor in the side and give him the captaincy too.

Just had a look through the results, Morgan's had a really shocking tournament with the bat.
  • Options

tyson said:

DavidL said:

I saw a stat, that most of the Windies t20 squad haven't played a first class game in nearly two years.

I suspect they'll continue with the focus on t20 and Tests not so much.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

ydoethur said:

Just had a look through the results, Morgan's had a really shocking tournament with the bat.
    I think today was his second highest score, including two golden ducks.

I think he's scored one century and one fifty across all formats since becoming captain more than a yeAr ago.

That isn't good enough. Bell was rightly dropped despite a far better record than that.
  • Options

MTimT said:

I have long thought that this is one of the underlying driving factors behind Tory Wet Europhilia. They have never quite got over losing the Empire and had the arrogance to think that if only Britain was completely engaged in the EEC/U project we would bound to be leading it eventually.

It is a most unpleasant view but one I think people like Heath and Clark instinctively held.
    I don't know about those two specifically - Heath was strongly influenced by the war and need for European unity. I think it is definitely a trait across the European centre-right though (whereas the left is more concerned with the social Europe Delors vision). Indeed Barrosso even admitted that he saw Europe as a potential non-military empire. And in many ways that isn't really that shocking. Does one doubt that there are imperialistic politicians in Russia and China? Even the US is prone to this kind of thinking in spite of its revolutionary foundations. I'm sure many centre right pro-Europeans have a vision of what Niall Ferguson would call a liberal empire and genuinely believe it would be good for the world.
  • Options
    OT but on Sport. Rosberg is a petty twat and no sportsman.
  • Options

MTimT said:

Yes that's very much the FO view as well, and you also get it from people like John Stevens.
  • Options
    You guys have a go at me - but please consider Ben Stokes' last over - it was dreadful - 4 length balls that had 'six' all written on them...

It was choking at its worst (or best). I'm sure Ben will comeback stronger but I'm calling it as it is...
  • Options
    murali_s said:

IPL next lads - please watch it - it's very entertaining and it's the biggest domestic cricket tournament out there! Embrace it and embrace India as the new home of cricket...

I watch it. I still have no idea what you mean about embracing India as the home of cricket though. I just want all formats to be viable and enjoyable, I don't see how India being the 'home' would impact unless for some reason they dick around with the rules using their influence. So long as they don't do that, what do I care them being the 'home'?
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

ydoethur said:

I think he's scored one century and one fifty across all formats since becoming captain more than a yeAr ago.

That isn't good enough. Bell was rightly dropped despite a far better record than that.
    Joe Root OTOH has superb stats in all forms of the game. Average of just under 39 in T20 with a S/R of 138; ~ 55 in tests; 44 Ave/84 S/R 1 days.

The most complete batsman in the world at the moment.#

Handy off-spinner too.
  • Options

murali_s said:

Haha - England!

Ben Stokes - LOL!!

He's just a bogstandard troll. Since the admins don't grant us Vanilla's ignore function, we just have to put up with it.
    He reminds me of the day England football team got beat by Romania in one of the tournament's and the local youth club shut has the same time the match finished,all I heard coming out of the youth club was chanting Romania,Romania,Romania.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,103

MTimT said:

I remember reading an old biography of Ted Heath - it must have been written in about 1973 - and it ended somewhat like:

' Heath could look on with pleasure at the prospect of a British led Europe able to face down both the USA and the Soviet Union. '
  • Options
    Mr. Tyndall, why d'you say that?

[I stop watching whenever the race is over, not interested in post-race stuff, except my own, so I may've missed something].
  • Options
    murali_s said:

You guys have a go at me - but please consider Ben Stokes' last over - it was dreadful - 4 length balls that had 'six' all written on them...

It was choking at its worst (or best). I'm sure Ben will comeback stronger but I'm calling it as it is...

But Haha - England.
  • Options

Mr. Tyndall, why d'you say that?

[I stop watching whenever the race is over, not interested in post-race stuff, except my own, so I may've missed something].

It was from during the race. Massa didn't leap out of his way when he was lapping him because he was defending his place from Kyviat on fresher tyres so Rosberg passed him then backed him up so he lost the place.
  • Options

MTimT said:

I remember reading an old biography of Ted Heath - it must have been written in about 1973 - and it ended somewhat like:

' Heath could look on with pleasure at the prospect of a British led Europe able to face down both the USA and the Soviet Union. '
    Yes Heath was very anti-US
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

ydoethur said:

Joe Root OTOH has superb stats in all forms of the game. Average of just under 39 in T20 with a S/R of 138; ~ 55 in tests; 44 Ave/84 S/R 1 days.

The most complete batsman in the world at the moment.#

Handy off-spinner too.
    Joe Root is an amazing player - true World class...
  • Options
    Mr. Tyndall, I'd want to see that again. Didn't notice it at the time.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    SeanT said:

MEANWHILE - serious evidence that ISIS are now on the run.

http://www.news24.com/World/News/key-isis-bastion-in-central-syria-taken-20160403

But, a cornered rat, and all that.

There is an article by Lyndsay Hilsum in today's Sunday Times from Palmyra (what a brave journalist she is) about the state of the place: not just destruction of ancient ruins but mass graves and the rest.

• Options
    John_NJohn_N Posts: 389

'Heath could look on with pleasure at the prospect of a British led Europe able to face down both the USA and the Soviet Union. '

Edward Heath, face down with pleasure?
    That's a classic quote, though, 17 years after Anthony Eden learnt the opposite.

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    SeanT said:

http://www.news24.com/World/News/key-isis-bastion-in-central-syria-taken-20160403

Is still a rat in a corner.

Excellent news.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    Cyclefree said:

O/T for @ Roger: if you're going to make statements about the BDS movement, you might try doing some research first. Try this for a bit about its history and who's behind it - http://standpointmag.co.uk/features-january-february-2016-jonathan-neumann-israel-boycott-divest-sanction-bds-threatens-us-all.

Incidentally, despite the fact that I am a pretty fierce critic of his party's leader, I appreciated @NickPalmer's rather more thoughtful views on the anti-Semitism and the Labour Party question on the previous thread.

It is of course true that one should be able to criticise Israel without being thought of as anti- Semitic. Those who respond to any criticism of Israel in such a way do her no favours. It is also equally true that there are plenty who have alighted with glee on the anti-Zionist banner precisely because it does allow them to make anti-Semitic statements under the guise of anti-Zionism. They are not acting in good faith. And it is also striking how many people who criticise Israel for all variety of matters are strangely silent when even worse instances of the same matters are committed by other states. The double standards on display make one wonder exactly what the motivation is

I'm really not sure what point you're making? Are you saying that because the publication 'Standpoint' chooses to discredit the BDS movement therefore one shouldn't support the boycott whether or not you think its aims have merit?

Do you apply this logic to everything? You seem to spend a lot of your time calling people and organizations anti semitic on the basis of very little evidence. The politics and racial divisions in Israel is an issue that can be very divisive even in Israel itself .

You'll find a lot of disinformation and propaganda on all sides. Trying to find an accurate position is a much better use of your time than just spraying around accusations of anti semitism to anyone who takes a different view to yourself

• Options
    After this weekend's sport, I fear I may have long term scars.

Still the fantasy footie is a v minor consolation...
  • Options

At this rate you'll catch me up in GW 39.
  • Options

I will always have happy memories of this weekend. Thanks to me, PBers enjoyed Donald Trump's manhood.

After a fashion
  • Options
    SeanT said:

We don't agree on much but this is great news...
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877
    Evening all :)

The cricket demonstrates not only the perils of in-running wagering but the presumption it can sometimes be the least likely thing that ends up happening.

I'm not sure what to make of Antifrank's (he'll always be Antifrank to me) latest offering. Insurgencies do sometimes win - you could argue Margaret Thatcher was the insurgent in 1975 defeating the Conservative Party Establishment (Whitelaw etc) and in 1979 prevailed not because she was the alternative to dull incompetence but because she wasn't.

Conversely, Blair won in 1997 because he wasn't radical and had been able to convince millions of former Conservative voters the Labour Party he led was a non-socialist party of the centre or centre-left.

During the long period of Butskellism power interchanged simply because the Conservatives and Labour were or appeared to be similar (Wilson's Labour vs Heath's Conservatives).

Britain has so far avoided the destruction of the old parties as has happened in places like Denmark and Italy and while the vote share of the Con-Lab Parties isn't what it was, FPTP means the 70% is more then enough to hold the line.

I don't see that changing anytime soon but as the saying goes "nothing lasts forever".
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    SeanT said:

JackW said:

SeanT said:

Is still a rat in a corner.

Excellent news.
    When an extreme group goes into retreat, it tends to devour itself. The Khmer Rouge, for example, practically cannibalised its own: all the 21,000 victims at the Tuol Sleng extermination camp were KR cadres suspected of treason.

Some tentative evidence this is now happening within ISIS:

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/world-news/isis-kills-15-members-spying-7683188

What a shame.
    Quite so.

ISIS need to be exterminated. No ifs or buts.
  • Options
    O/T Callaghan night starts on BBC Parliament at 7pm
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

There is an article by Lyndsay Hilsum in today's Sunday Times from Palmyra (what a brave journalist she is) about the state of the place: not just destruction of ancient ruins but mass graves and the rest.

I expect that when Raqqa and Mosul get liberated that we will see some real horrors.

Will it make young Islamists think again? I hope so, but fear not.

A good day for Leicester ( I did tip another 1 nil this morning!) and the West Indies. I hope that the T20 cup and the IPL inspire a revival of cricket there. It would be good for the sport.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,194
    On topic. What really concerns me is that the grown ups aren't exactly covering themselves in glory. I appreciate that Mr Meeks thinks those of us who have the temerity to think we should leave the EU think that it is the be all and end all of politics.

Well I think we should leave the EU and I'm pleased to be getting a chance to vote on it, but the most important thing in my mind is the state of the public finances. I appreciate that the Tories inherited a shocking state of affairs in 2010, but having won a majority in 2015 George Osborne should have taken the tough decisions to finally eliminate the deficit. Unfortunately this has not happened.

Mr Meeks may think that the likes of Corbyn and Farage are a threat to the establishment (and not just the political one), but I'd suggest what should worry them more is what happens when the next crash happens.
This discussion has been closed.