Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » REMAIN lead drops to lowest level yet in ComRes phone poll

Comments

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462

Leave need to change these numbers if they want to win. People won't vote to make the economy worse

https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/712688388785192960

No they don't. No point pissing in the wind doing that. They simply need to convince people there's the same or greater economic risk to committing to the EU. That won't be hard. Fear can cut both ways as Remain are discovering.
  • Options
    Just rewound that, that last ball was a wide
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    "El Bakraoui was arrested in Gaziantep in southern Turkey close to the Syrian border last summer."

What did Dupont and Dupond think he was doing there...on his summer holidays?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I see Trump has said his list of potential SCOTUS nominations he is releasing next is being drawn up by the Heritage Foundation.

I can just smell the centerism there. Much pivot, such bipartisanship.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,960

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

chestnut said:

It all depends on who you believe.

Comres 45+ had an 8 point lead for Leave, which they turnout weighted into a 4 point lead for Remain.

ICM and Opinium had 17 and 18 point leads for Leave with this group.

All polls that survey certainty to vote show certainty to vote is higher with Leave.
    Not this one:
    "In this new poll 48% back Remain, while 41% say they would vote for Leave if there was a referendum tomorrow. The lead widens when people’s relative likelihood to vote is taken into account: if turnout patterns between different demographic groups at the referendum reflect those at last year’s General Election, there would be a 14 point lead for remaining in the EU."
    I believe they aren't being asked about certainty to vote. The pollster is making an assumption that patterns of turnout will match the patterns of turnout at the general election.
    How do you interpret this?
    "The lead widens when people’s relative likelihood to vote is taken into account:"
    It is just weird. I can understand phone polls showing a bigger lead for Remain than Online polls for the reason we have discussed before but the relative movements are generally the same in both. Why a phone poll should show certainty to vote helping Remain when all other polls show it helping Leave is really strange.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Roger said:

Scott_P said:

Labour have nailed their colours to the mast

@UKLabour: This action is avoidable and the Gov. now has four weeks to avert this walkout - @heidi_mp on #JuniorDoctorsStrike https://t.co/Q5Uikg3wxA

Of course, the BMA has four weeks to avert this walkout if they wanted...

For the sake of the referendum Cameron should make one last u-turn and sack Hunt; He's made a complete arse of himself and he's going to make the government very unpopular just at the wrong time
    Hunt is following through on a manifesto promise that was very high profile during the general election, is that something to be sacked over?
    YES
    Not every party holds their own manifesto in such contempt as the Lib Dems held their own while in government.
    Only the Conservatives would put things in their manifesto and then implement them in such a way that threatens the lives of many patients .
    Except the reforms are being done to improve the lives and survival of patients. This is a strike over Saturday pay rates not patient safety.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

Roger said:

Scott_P said:

@UKLabour: This action is avoidable and the Gov. now has four weeks to avert this walkout - @heidi_mp on #JuniorDoctorsStrike https://t.co/Q5Uikg3wxA

For the sake of the referendum Cameron should make one last u-turn and sack Hunt; He's made a complete arse of himself and he's going to make the government very unpopular just at the wrong time
    Hunt is following through on a manifesto promise that was very high profile during the general election, is that something to be sacked over?
    YES
    Not every party holds their own manifesto in such contempt as the Lib Dems held their own while in government.
    Only the Conservatives would put things in their manifesto and then implement them in such a way that threatens the lives of many patients .
    Except the reforms are being done to improve the lives and survival of patients. This is a strike over Saturday pay rates not patient safety.
    So you pro government lackeys keep trying to tell the public but they are not being fooled and do not believe you .
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

Mr. Moses, but is that just an online voodoo poll?

Most likely as there was no selections for

"don't know"
    " Sorry I will be aboard"
    or
    " Look why don't you just go and ask someone who actually does give a shit"

:lol:
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

chestnut said:

Comres 45+ had an 8 point lead for Leave, which they turnout weighted into a 4 point lead for Remain.

All polls that survey certainty to vote show certainty to vote is higher with Leave.
    Not this one:
    "In this new poll 48% back Remain, while 41% say they would vote for Leave if there was a referendum tomorrow. The lead widens when people’s relative likelihood to vote is taken into account: if turnout patterns between different demographic groups at the referendum reflect those at last year’s General Election, there would be a 14 point lead for remaining in the EU."
    I believe they aren't being asked about certainty to vote. The pollster is making an assumption that patterns of turnout will match the patterns of turnout at the general election.
    "The lead widens when people’s relative likelihood to vote is taken into account:"
    It is just weird. I can understand phone polls showing a bigger lead for Remain than Online polls for the reason we have discussed before but the relative movements are generally the same in both. Why a phone poll should show certainty to vote helping Remain when all other polls show it helping Leave is really strange.
    Polls consistently show ABC1 voters (who turnout to vote) support Remain. Why is it that strange then that demographic turnouts could help Remain?
  • Options

Roger said:

Scott_P said:

YES
    So you pro government lackeys keep trying to tell the public but they are not being fooled and do not believe you .
    I'm not a lackey, I just believe in what the government is saying. It is something I voted for because I believed in it and have seen nothing in the jobsworths whining about having to work less than one in every four Saturdays for no extra pay to convince me otherwise.

The fact that I work every Saturday (except when on holiday) and have done for over a decade probably makes me less sympathetic.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited March 2016
    SeanT said:

Wrote a blog for W H Smiths in which I confess I work two hours a day. Ooops.

http://blog.whsmith.co.uk/work-s-k-tremayne/

You come across as such a luvvie, - next you’ll be hanging out with Emma Thompson & Co.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Mr. T, being entirely serious, do you not get bored?
  • Options

SeanT said:

You come across as such a luvvie, - next you’ll be hanging out with Emma Thompson & Co.

Wrapping himself in dead fish for a charity photo shoot...
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    SeanT said:

I didn't know WH Smiths had cafes, or anywhere where you could sit down.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited March 2016
    Comres have weighted DE down from 238 to 56 in the sample.

Their assumption is AB is four times as many voters.

Ipsos had the turnout difference as 75:57 at the GE.

• Options
    Hassane was studying medicine at a university in Sudan, earning him the nickname "The Surgeon

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-35884915

I am sure it was the cheap fees that attracted him...
  • Options
    The competition to be the biggest political shambles in this country is amazing but every time UKIP manages to power through to win... even ahead of Odious & Osborne and Corbyn.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

chestnut said:

Not this one:
    Polls consistently show ABC1 voters (who turnout to vote) support Remain. Why is it that strange then that demographic turnouts could help Remain?
    Because it runs counter to what is seen in all other polls. In those the likelihood to vote filter improves things for Leave.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074
    edited March 2016

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

chestnut said:

Not this one:
    Because it runs counter to what is seen in all other polls. In those the likelihood to vote filter improves things for Leave.
    There's a difference between being highly motivated to vote and being likely to vote. Assuming similar patterns to a General Election might be a good way to divine the latter.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

chestnut said:

Not this one:
    eg the latest Ipsos Mori poll.

Remain leads by 32% among those certain not to vote. The lead drops to 7% among those certain to vote.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

chestnut said:

Not this one:
    There's a difference between being highly motivated to vote and being likely to vote. Assuming similar patterns to a General Election might be a good way to divine the latter.
    But again this is what is measured by the other polls and they show completely the reverse of what is being reported by Comres.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

chestnut said:

Not this one:
    But again this is what is measured by the other polls and they show completely the reverse of what is being reported by Comres.
    Is it though? Or are they measuring how "certain to vote" people report they are rather than weighting to GE turnout?

Incidentally wouldn't it make sense for all polls to be weighted to GE turnout?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

chestnut said:

Not this one:
    The question is what methodology are they using to measure it. If they're simply asking people how likely they are to vote the answers possible say more about how much they care about the question than about their true likelihood to turn up at a polling station on the day.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    I can't decide whether the recent atrocities in Paris and Belgium etc. will affect the referendum vote.
    On the one hand one might argue that we should stay out in insular isolation & protect ourselves by building a figurative Trumpian wall.
    Or, on the other hand, one might reckon that we could best fight these jerks by cohering with the rest of Europe.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

chestnut said:

Not this one:
    Com Res are working it out differently. Pollsters that weight by likelihood to vote generally ask people to rate their likelihood of voting from 0 to 10/10. They may then apply a higher weighting to voters further up the scale, or cut off voters that give a likelihood of less than 5/10, or (in the case of Ipsos Mori for voting intention, cut off everyone below 9/10). As far as I can tell, Com Res simply apply the social class-based voting patterns of the GE to their headline figure.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

chestnut said:

Not this one:
    The question is what methodology are they using to measure it. If they're simply asking people how likely they are to vote the answers possible say more about how much they care about the question than about their true likelihood to turn up at a polling station on the day.
    The more someone cares about an issue, the more likely they are to vote about it.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Toms said:

I can't decide whether the recent atrocities in Paris and Belgium etc. will affect the referendum vote.
    On the one hand one might argue that we should stay out in insular isolation & protect ourselves by building a figurative Trumpian wall.
    Or, on the other hand, one might reckon that we could best fight these jerks by cohering with the rest of Europe.

One doubts Europe will actually do anything about it. How long has Belgium been a known hotbed of extremism?
  • Options
    Sorry Morris Dancer.

Looks like F1 will be exclusively live on Sky from 2019

Sky Sports to show every F1 race live from 2019 until 2024

Every Grand Prix live until 2024; All 21 races live on Sky Sports F1 this season

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12430/10215419/sky-sports-to-show-every-f1-race-live-from-2019-until-2024
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Wow, Turkey deported one of the bombers to Belgium after he tried to cross the border and told the Belgians that he was a terrorist. How was he able to walk free?
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    RobD said:

Toms said:

One doubts Europe will actually do anything about it. How long has Belgium been a known hotbed of extremism?
    I suppose how they now react will be a test of the EU's degree of anarchy
  • Options
    The fact that the polls have shown a trend of LEAVE improving compared to REMAIN, even with weightings that have not been "fixed after GE2015" is very significant.
    We are coming to the end of the period when REMAIN faced a divided LEAVE set of groups. A period when it should have gained a significant lead using the rigged way that Cameron etc had manipulated the rules of the Commision and Govt. A period when Cameron and the Govt have used all their advantages and then watched as LEAVE slowly improved. A period when the innate political selfishness of Farage has hampered LEAVE. That this has also happened before the Brussels atrocities and before the major spate of drownings in the Med does not auger well for the chances of REMAIN.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,169
    Sean_F said:

Com Res are working it out differently. Pollsters that weight by likelihood to vote generally ask people to rate their likelihood of voting from 0 to 10/10. They may then apply a higher weighting to voters further up the scale, or cut off voters that give a likelihood of less than 5/10, or (in the case of Ipsos Mori for voting intention, cut off everyone below 9/10). As far as I can tell, Com Res simply apply the social class-based voting patterns of the GE to their headline figure.

But it's a referendum, not a G.E., where the likelihood to vote is affected by location. Where the incumbent has a large majority fewer people bother to turn out compared to a close race.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, sounds like a continuation of the status quo rather than a change. Not pleased, but there we are.

Incidentally, F1, according to the GPDA piece, has lost about 30m viewers recently, which (I think) is about 10%. That's been partly attributed to the shift to pay TV.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Wow, Turkey deported one of the bombers to Belgium after he tried to cross the border and told the Belgians that he was a terrorist. How was he able to walk free?

The Belgians are useless at security. They allowed the country's number one criminal to escape from custody for example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Dutroux#Parliamentary_investigation_and_escape_from_custody
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Taking open borders to another level.
  • Options

Sorry Morris Dancer.

Looks like F1 will be exclusively live on Sky from 2019

Sky Sports to show every F1 race live from 2019 until 2024

Every Grand Prix live until 2024; All 21 races live on Sky Sports F1 this season

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12430/10215419/sky-sports-to-show-every-f1-race-live-from-2019-until-2024

If Sky offer Sky F1 a la carté on NowTV I'll be happy since it will get rid of C4's awful coverage. I would pay £120 for the 9 months.
  • Options
    Mr. Max, only saw bits of the Channel 4 coverage (beyond the race). I like Webber and Coulthard.

Not sure adverts during the highlights are wise, though.
  • Options

Mr. Max, only saw bits of the Channel 4 coverage (beyond the race). I like Webber and Coulthard.

Not sure adverts during the highlights are wise, though.

Worse coverage than ITV IMO.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,479
    edited March 2016

Mr. Eagles, sounds like a continuation of the status quo rather than a change. Not pleased, but there we are.

Incidentally, F1, according to the GPDA piece, has lost about 30m viewers recently, which (I think) is about 10%. That's been partly attributed to the shift to pay TV.

Sadly not

Sky has won exclusive rights to show Formula One racing from 2019, the first time that the vast majority of races will only be available to pay-TV subscribers.

Sky already broadcasts all 21 grands prix live, but Channel 4 also has rights to show 10 races a year after striking a three-year deal thought to be worth as much as £35m a year. Channel 4 had picked up the rights after the BBC exited its own deal with the sport’s governing body early due to budget cuts.

The new Sky deal, which runs until 2024, will see Sky broadcast the British Grand Prix on a free-to-air Sky channel available on services such as YouView, and at least two other races on its yet to be launched Mix channel, which will be available to all Sky subscribers even if they do not take any of its sports channels. However, the remainder of the races each year will only be available to customers who pay for Sky Sports.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/mar/23/sky-buys-exclusive-rights-to-all-formula-one?CMP=share_btn_tw
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Mr. Tyndall, after the last GE, I am at a loss as to why anyone should pay more than cursory attention to the polls. We saw then two groups of polling companies detecting two mutually contradictory trends, which strangely led all companies to more or less the same place, and at least one company refusing to release at least one poll because it did not agree with what they thought it should say (it just happened to be much more accurate in terms of the result than their own narrative).

It may be tantamount to treason on here to say it but I find it difficult to avoid the conclusion that the polling companies make it up as they go along. Whether they consciously "fiddle" the figures I don't know but there certainly seems to be prima facie evidence to that effect.

Furthermore, there can, I think, be no doubt that some people, if not the polling companies themselves, seek to use the polls to mould public opinion rather than using them as toll which reflects it. This when, combined with the genuine and justified concerns about polling companies basic honesty, is pernicious to public discourse.

In short, plenty of people, including some "senior" people on here, made asses of themselves by believing the polling companies actually said something useful. One might as well pay as much attention to the blokes up the pub or a voodoo pole in the Telegraph as anything from YouGuv et al.
  • Options
    F1: hmm. My F1 Twitter persons are suggesting it's exclusive to Sky from 2019.

One does not wish to besmirch one's reputation for politeness by sullying this post with an honest appraisal of that.
  • Options

Roger said:

Scott_P said:

YES
    Having been left on a bed in A&E without seeing a consultant for 9 hours one night/morning I for one do want to see a better provision of doctors 24/7. That was after an hour in the ambulance outside A&E. But it would interfere with doctors social life.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
    Sean_F said:

But people are generally quite poor predictors of their own behaviour. I'd be more inclined to believe results achieved by the latter method, negative as they are for my own side.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Roger said:

Scott_P said:

YES
    That is undoubtedly the government's intention which makes you wonder how Jeremy Hunt has ballsed it up. We can safely assume the doctors are also interested in helping patients. There does seem to be a legitimate doubt over the root cause of the weekend excess (and therefore how to address it) but the aim is the same so how did Hunt manage to alienate so many doctors and turn this into an industrial dispute?
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    MaxPB said:

When you think they can't be any more incompetent...they are like some hollywood spoof..what's in the wardrobe....oh nothing...i am sure i heard something...nope definitely nothing in there...

Are you a terrorist...no...are you sure, the Turkish say you are...no..oh ok on your way...
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Leave need to change these numbers if they want to win. People won't vote to make the economy worse

twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/712688388785192960

High risk: 30%

Slight to No risk: 65%

Leave seem OK for this.
    High/Slight Risk 69%
    Hardly/No Risk 26%

Leave seems holed below the waterline .
    I'm perfectly OK with a slight risk. A slight risk is completely acceptable for anything more than a slight return.
    Do you fly? Try telling the passengers there's a VERY slight risk the pilot might have a heart attack. Does anyone want to leave the plane? I think you might find yourself the only passenger
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Roger said:

Scott_P said:

YES
    Having been left on a bed in A&E without seeing a consultant for 9 hours one night/morning I for one do want to see a better provision of doctors 24/7. That was after an hour in the ambulance outside A&E. But it would interfere with doctors social life.
    I thought the big hoo-ha was because they would be working less hours? :p
  • Options
    Roger said:

Leave seem OK for this.
    High/Slight Risk 69%
    Hardly/No Risk 26%

I'm perfectly OK with a slight risk. A slight risk is completely acceptable for anything more than a slight return.
    Do you fly? Try telling the passengers there's a VERY slight risk the pilot might have a heart attack. Does anyone want to leave the plane? I think you might find yourself the only passenger
    But there is always a slight risk the pilot might have a heart attack.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited March 2016
    An interesting note on the predictability of the GOP race.

With states that Romney won in 2012, excluding home states like Massachusets and the mormon ones of Utah and Idaho, the victor in 2016 on average gets 0.6 points less and never less than 8 points lower or 9 points higher than what Romney got in 2012.

With states won by Santorum in 2012, the 2016 victor gets on average 1 point more, with a margin of 14 points more to 8 points less.

In Arizona that played out to perfection, with Trump getting exactly the 47% that Romney got and Cruz getting 25 compared to 27% that Santorum got.

So far Trump in the same states that voted so far in 2012 has got 37% to 38% that Romney got, and Cruz has 27% to 29% that Santorum got.

That means that Wisconsin should be predictable, whoever wins there will get around the 44% that Romney got in 2012.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Roger said:

Scott_P said:

YES
    I thought the big hoo-ha was because they would be working less hours? :p
    They would be working less or same hours per doctor but spread differently 24/7 once hospitals rescheduled all the related services.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Roger said:

Scott_P said:

YES
    Well, it was speculated that a number of pledges were made only so they could be negotiated away in coalition.
  • Options

Roger said:

Scott_P said:

YES
    That is undoubtedly the government's intention which makes you wonder how Jeremy Hunt has ballsed it up. We can safely assume the doctors are also interested in helping patients. There does seem to be a legitimate doubt over the root cause of the weekend excess (and therefore how to address it) but the aim is the same so how did Hunt manage to alienate so many doctors and turn this into an industrial dispute?
    I agree. The communication on this from Govt has been handled appallingly badly. That said the doctors denial of the bleeding obvious illustrates how desparate some are to stick with a way of working that suits their lives rather than the quality of patient care.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    AndyJS said:

Roger said:

Leave seem OK for this.
    High/Slight Risk 69%
    Hardly/No Risk 26%

Higher risk the pilot is trollied....

However, dare to tell people another terrorist attack is highly likely and they must leave their holiday....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3156382/Anger-British-tourists-returning-UK-Tunisia.html
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

MaxPB said:

When you think they can't be any more incompetent...they are like some hollywood spoof..what's in the wardrobe....oh nothing...i am sure i heard something...nope definitely nothing in there...

Are you a terrorist...no...are you sure, the Turkish say you are...no..oh ok on your way...
    And the Home Secretary has the audacity to claim that we will be more vulnerable to terrorism without the Belgians helping us.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,343
    Sean_F said:

eg the latest Ipsos Mori poll.

Remain leads by 32% among those certain not to vote. The lead drops to 7% among those certain to vote.

Perhaps - and this is speculating after looking at the figures, so a biased guess - people who are really keen are most for Leave, but there are a lot of middle-class people who are lukewarm but vaguely pro-Remain. They show up as non-voters in polls that only take "certain to vote", but they show up as likely to vote in ComRes 'cos they're middle-class.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

MaxPB said:

And the Home Secretary has the audacity to claim that we will be more vulnerable to terrorism without the Belgians helping us.
    The Belgians are probably still arguing which language to file the report in...
  • Options
    Speedy said:

MaxPB said:

She probably means the converse. We will be more vulnerable to terrorism without us helping the Belgians.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,343
    Both major parties in Germany now suffering severely in the polls, with the AfD consistently on 12ish% and the Greens and Liberals also doing well. A common factor is that the major parties are in government and everyone else is not.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    re: Polls

Ipsos last one had AB and DE with the same number of voters.
    ICM have 25% more AB voters than DE
    Comres have four times the amount of AB voters.

It really does test credulity to see such wild variation.

I've noticed that Comres have also dispensed with 2015 vote breakdowns and current VI in their tables.
  • Options

Both major parties in Germany now suffering severely in the polls, with the AfD consistently on 12ish% and the Greens and Liberals also doing well. A common factor is that the major parties are in government and everyone else is not.

Merkel should have considered standing down after 10 years in office. Blair got that right.
  • Options

However, dare to tell people another terrorist attack is highly likely and they must leave their holiday....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3156382/Anger-British-tourists-returning-UK-Tunisia.html

Should our leaders take the view of the editor whose journalists were threatened during the Algerian war? "They can't frighten me. You stay right there."
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Speedy said:

MaxPB said:

More likely they are complaining to "community elders" in Molenbeek about how their side broke the truce.

I actually wish that wasn't serious.
  • Options
    Channel 4 News reporter: "Belgians have a cultural aversion to collecting data on people". Interesting.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    MaxPB said:

Speedy said:

MaxPB said:

More likely they are complaining to "community elders" in Molenbeek about how their side broke the truce.

I actually wish that wasn't serious.
    I know....I saw this crap yesterday with this bizarre, "but we held our end of the bargain up, why have you attacked us" attitude...They need to hear that Snake poem Trump keeps pumping out.
  • Options
    What sort of country has to have masked police when they search buildings?
  • Options

Yes, I noted yesterday that the main parties are down from 67% in the election to about 55-57% today. It will make the next grand coalition much less stable if the results are similar.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

That seems a very high % for slight given the Armageddon style warnings so far. As for the no risk at all category, I presume they would also answer the same to "chances of a rainy day in December"...
    69% Say there will be a risk to the economy because of Brexit, whereas 26% disagree.

People won't vote to damage the economy.

Leave need to change these numbers
    People voted for Blair and Brown they screwed the economy over way more than BrExit will. The voters thought it was time for a chance, they might feel the same about the EU.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    AndyJS said:

What sort of country has to have masked police when they search buildings?

They probably aren't Belgian or the police..The Beligan security services are so crap, the French equivalent of the SAS are doing most of the work.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Roger said:

Scott_P said:

YES
    Maybe it is time to reclassify Drs.

Should it be vocation rather than a profession?
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Should our leaders take the view of the editor whose journalists were threatened during the Algerian war? "They can't frighten me. You stay right there."
    Head desk thud...for the second time today...I was poking fun at the idiots who were moaning to the Daily Mai,

How dare they ruin my holiday...
    What the terrorists?...
    No the bar steward Tory government
  • Options
    This Belgian on C4 news is in full head in the sand mode.
  • Options

Head desk thud...for the second time today...I was poking fun at the idiots who were moaning to the Daily Mai,
    I wasn't countering you. Just couldn't resist the opportunity to post the quote. :)
  • Options
    Mr. Max, what's he/she saying?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,210
    edited March 2016
    Re the bomber deported back to Belgium:-

Three issues arise:-

1. Could he be charged with an offence in Belgium, based on what the Turkish authorities said? This would be the ideal i.e. when someone disappears off to the Syrian border and is caught and deported, they are charged, convicted and locked up. But who knows whether the Belgians have such an offence or whether the evidence was strong enough.

2. If 1 doesn't work, then the only option is to put him under surveillance - but that is very resource expensive. Given the numbers of probable targets, I doubt that the Belgian authorities have the resources to do this - even if they had the will.

3. If 1 is not available and 2 is not done then you have what appears to have happened here - a militant is left to get on with it apparently unhindered.

The more you have communities which seem to be outside the effective control of the state, as Moelenbeek (and parts of the Paris banlieues) the easier it will be for those who wish the state harm to flourish unhindered. It is essential that the state has full control of all parts of its territory and of all those in its territory. This is not something new needed in response to Islamist or any other sort of terrorism. This is basic stuff which any medieval king would have understood.

There has been an abrogation of sovereignty by countries whereby they have, to all intents and purposes, abandoned parts of their territory to potentially hostile forces. That is in part because there has been - and continues to be - a culture of denial about the fact that these are hostile forces or breeding grounds for them. Too many in the governing classes have tried to make the facts match what they would like to be true. They - or rather the innocent civilians - are now being mugged by reality, a reality which has been all too evident for those with eyes to see ever since we saw book burning and assassination attempts at the behest of a foreign religious/political leader decades ago.

It is grimly ironic that for all the talk of loss of sovereignty in relation to the EU it is this loss of sovereignty which is far more damaging and which needs to be reversed. The longer it is left, the tougher it will have to be. If it is not done at all, the future will be grim.
  • Options

Same old rubbish, first victims are Muslims etc...
  • Options
    Mr. Max, warning against Islamophobia?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    Cyclefree said:

1. Could he be charged with an offence in Belgium, based on what the Turkish authorities said? This would be the ideal i.e. when someone disappears off to the Syrian border and is caught and deported, they are charged, convicted and locked up. But who knows whether the Belgians have such an offence or whether the evidence was strong enough.

2. If 1 doesn't work, then the only option is to put him under surveillance - but that is very resource expensive. Given the numbers of probable targets, I doubt that the Belgian authorities have the resources to do this - even if they had the will.

3. If 1 is not available and 2 is not done then you have what appears to have happened here - a militant is left to get on with it apparently unhindered.

The more you have communities which seem to be outside the effective control of the state, as Moelenbeek (and parts of the Paris banlieues) the easier it will be for those who wish the state harm to flourish unhindered. It is essential that the state has full control of all parts of its territory and of all those in its territory. This is not something new needed in response to Islamist or any other sort of terrorism. This is basic stuff which any medieval king would have understood.

There has been an abrogation of sovereignty by countries whereby they have, to all intents and purposes, abandoned parts of their territory to potentially hostile forces. That is in part because their has been - and continues to be - a culture of denial about the fact that these are hostile forces or breeding grounds for them. Too many in the governing classes have tried to make the facts match what they would like to be true. They - or rather the innocent civilians - are now being mugged by reality, a reality which has been all too evident for those with eyes to see ever since we saw book burning and assassination attempts at the behest of a foreign religious/political leader decades ago.

It is grimly ironic that for all the talk of loss of sovereignty in relation to the EU it is this loss of sovereignty which is far more damaging and which needs to be reversed. The longer it is left, the tougher it will have to be. If it is not done at all, the future will be grim.

As always, Cyclefree, you hit the nail right on the head.

Right: back to exile for me.
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618
    AndyJS said:

Roger said:

Leave seem OK for this.
    High/Slight Risk 69%
    Hardly/No Risk 26%

Yes but usually there are at least 2 pilots on board.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    Indigo said:

That seems a very high % for slight given the Armageddon style warnings so far. As for the no risk at all category, I presume they would also answer the same to "chances of a rainy day in December"...
    69% Say there will be a risk to the economy because of Brexit, whereas 26% disagree.

People won't vote to damage the economy.

Leave need to change these numbers
    People voted for Blair and Brown they screwed the economy over way more than BrExit will. The voters thought it was time for a chance, they might feel the same about the EU.
    Ummm: I think in '97 and '01, the Labour Party led on 'economic competence' in the polls. (As inconceivable as that sounds given subsequent events.)
  • Options

Mr. Max, warning against Islamophobia?

Basically. When confronted with the information that the police let the terrorist walk free after being warned by the Turks he started rambling about the FSB and Russia. Complete and utter see you next Tuesday.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

There has been an abrogation of sovereignty by countries whereby they have, to all intents and purposes, abandoned parts of their territory to potentially hostile forces. That is in part because there has been - and continues to be - a culture of denial about the fact that these are hostile forces or breeding grounds for them. Too many in the governing classes have tried to make the facts match what they would like to be true. They - or rather the innocent civilians - are now being mugged by reality, a reality which has been all too evident for those with eyes to see ever since we saw book burning and assassination attempts at the behest of a foreign religious/political leader decades ago.

One extra point....this wasn't a guy who had never had a criminal record and claiming to being on his hols in Turkey...so perhaps maybe he just a misguided youth tempted by idea of IS...He was career criminal who was known to use weapons.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Same old rubbish, first victims are Muslims etc...
    THIS NOTHING TO DO WITH ISLAM

THINK OF THE BACKLASH

.....rinse and repeat...
  • Options
    Speedy said:

MaxPB said:

That is so dumb a view that she deserves it to go on a leaflet. Except that it would be expoiting the dead in Brussels. Which of course she is doing.....
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Mr. Max, never heard the 'see you next Tuesday' term before.

We've got our share of such people in this country. While Belgian security seems almost designed to have loopholes, the UK is not as tough as it should be (we've got a de facto blasphemy law against depictions of Mohammed).

Edited extra bit: Mr. T, whilst clearly not good news, that's also a bit obvious.

Merkel's the political equivalent of Ratner.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    SeanT said:

Fantastic

The Associated Press ‏@AP 5m5 minutes ago
    BREAKING: The Islamic State group has trained at least 400 fighters to target Europe in deadly waves, the AP has learned.

But Belgium will be ok because they have a done a deal with the local Islamists....

The guy in the Telegraph today saying ISIS were basically done for might want to do a rewrite of his article.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Fantastic

BREAKING: The Islamic State group has trained at least 400 fighters to target Europe in deadly waves, the AP has learned.

As always, I've never been more thankful for a Tory PM who shut the doors to unrestricted migrant movements into the country.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

We've got our share of such people in this country. While Belgian security seems almost designed to have loopholes, the UK is not as tough as it should be (we've got a de facto blasphemy law against depictions of Mohammed).

You can add the reaction by some to the Trojan Horse plot....even after the reports...

Nope no really problem, just some bad teaching...
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    It is difficult to conclude anything other than Labour are an Antisemitic party when you see stuff like the below:

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/712700724979695618
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    geoffw said:

Sean_F said:

But it's a referendum, not a G.E., where the likelihood to vote is affected by location. Where the incumbent has a large majority fewer people bother to turn out compared to a close race.
    Is that true? There are high turnouts in the true blue shires, the lower turnout in safe Labour seats probably reflects the demographics rather than the size of the majority.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,256
    Ryan, 2020?
  • Options

SeanT said:

Fantastic

But Belgium will be ok because they have a done a deal with the local Islamists....

The guy in the Telegraph today saying ISIS were basically done for might want to do a rewrite of his article.
    Obama in November 2015, "ISIS are contained"

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/11/13/politics/obama-isis-contained-decapitated-abc-news/

An empty suit.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

This is, by far, the best analysis I have read on the subject. You are a f-ing legend. Please stand for office.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Fantastic

As always, I've never been more thankful for a Tory PM who shut the doors to unrestricted migrant movements into the country.
    Though the brothers in Belgium were not migrants though, were they?

Neither were the 7/7 bombers, the Woolwich killers etc.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    SeanT said:

Fantastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeJ-iv3MOTo
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Fantastic

Obama in November 2015, "ISIS are contained"

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/11/13/politics/obama-isis-contained-decapitated-abc-news/

An empty suit.
    Yo...you are interrupting his viewing of the baseball....he is made a statement to ESPN*...Now watch this pitch.....

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/cuba/x3p3i8/picture67636107/ALTERNATES/FREE_320/0409 Cuba Obama baseball Da

* For those that don't know, ESPN is the US main sports network...yes he really did make an initial statement about Belgium via them.
  • Options

Ryan, 2020?

Joseph Kennedy 2024 !
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,256
    Pulpstar said:

Ryan, 2020?

Joseph Kennedy 2024 !
    Great. He can fight the primary with Chelsea!
  • Options
    F1: reading that Todt (head of the FIA, though given he seems to spend most of his time hiding you could be forgiven for not knowing that) wants the new qualifying system for Q1 and Q2 but the old one for Q3.

Also, some suggestions that the move to pay TV, exclusively, was the straw that broke the camel's back as far as drivers are concerned.

Anyway, I've got to be off.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Ryan, 2020?

Joseph Kennedy 2024 !
    Great. He can fight the primary with Chelsea!
    I can see that being a contest actually.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

Fantastic

Though the brothers in Belgium were not migrants though, were they?

Neither were the 7/7 bombers, the Woolwich killers etc.
    Yes but why should we have an open border for 400 more ISIS fighters to cross into this country.
This discussion has been closed.