Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » REMAIN lead drops to lowest level yet in ComRes phone poll

Comments

• Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

Can't help thinking the junior doctors have made a very foolish mistake. The government cannot now be seen to give in. And it will take just one incident to turn public opinion. This is beginning to remind me of the miners strike in certain ways.

I think you are wrong , public opinion will remain backing the doctors . An incident as you envisage would see public opinion view the government and Hunt in particular as to be at fault for its intransigence . Playing politics with peoples lives and those of their relatives is a no brain loser .
    But Hunt isn't playing politics with anyone's lives, he's changing payment rates for Saturdays. Big deal.
    Hunt is playing politics. Full stop.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Who are these "others" that 95,000 people have voted for in Arizona?

Rubio came 3rd there.
    By people who know he's withdrawn?
    He did very well in the early voting, Kasich couldn't overtake him on election day.
    OK, so, question then, is that that the only state that will have had significant early voters before Rubio dropped out?
    I think so - Wisconsin early voting started Monday, no early voting in New York and the rest are a way into the future.
    Thanks for this Pulps
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2016

Mr. Glenn, many journalists are berks. The BBC had one such chap asking if we could ever be completely safe.

Yes, pixiepants. All you have to do is wave a magic wand, squeeze your eyes tight shut and wish very hard and you'll be safe. Promise.

Go easy on the BBC...they are still struggling with the fact that all those nice progressive European countries that they wish the UK to be more like now appear to have minor inconvenience in the form of Islamic extremists and a few bad apples in the migrant crowds....I think it is shattering their world more than the British public voting for a majority Tory government.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

chestnut said:

It all depends on who you believe.

Comres 45+ had an 8 point lead for Leave, which they turnout weighted into a 4 point lead for Remain.

ICM and Opinium had 17 and 18 point leads for Leave with this group.

All polls that survey certainty to vote show certainty to vote is higher with Leave.
    Not this one:
    "In this new poll 48% back Remain, while 41% say they would vote for Leave if there was a referendum tomorrow. The lead widens when people’s relative likelihood to vote is taken into account: if turnout patterns between different demographic groups at the referendum reflect those at last year’s General Election, there would be a 14 point lead for remaining in the EU."
    I believe they aren't being asked about certainty to vote. The pollster is making an assumption that patterns of turnout will match the patterns of turnout at the general election.
    How do you interpret this?
    "The lead widens when people’s relative likelihood to vote is taken into account:"
    I interpret it thus:-

"if turnout patterns between different demographic groups at the referendum reflect those at last year’s General Election, there would be a 14 point lead for remaining in the EU"
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,031
    PClipp said:

Can't help thinking the junior doctors have made a very foolish mistake. The government cannot now be seen to give in. And it will take just one incident to turn public opinion. This is beginning to remind me of the miners strike in certain ways.

I think you are wrong , public opinion will remain backing the doctors . An incident as you envisage would see public opinion view the government and Hunt in particular as to be at fault for its intransigence . Playing politics with peoples lives and those of their relatives is a no brain loser .
    But Hunt isn't playing politics with anyone's lives, he's changing payment rates for Saturdays. Big deal.
    Both sides are playing politics.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721

Mr. Glenn, many journalists are berks. The BBC had one such chap asking if we could ever be completely safe.

Yes, pixiepants. All you have to do is wave a magic wand, squeeze your eyes tight shut and wish very hard and you'll be safe. Promise.

Go easy on the BBC...they are still struggling with the fact that all those nice progressive European countries that they wish the UK to be more like now appear to have minor inconvenience in the form of Islamic extremists....
    ..whereas we are completely free of such an inconvenience?
  • Options

Go easy on the BBC...they are still struggling with the fact that all those nice progressive European countries that they wish the UK to be more like now appear to have minor inconvenience in the form of Islamic extremists....
    Not at all...you are missing the point.
  • Options
    LondonBobLondonBob Posts: 467
    edited March 2016
    HYUFD said:

LondonBob said:

Opinion polls so far out have some, but limited, value. The Norpoth model has Trump beating Sanders 58 to 42, HRC by 52.5 to 47.5. Kasich has only won one primary and struggles to get in the 20s in most places.

L.A.Times poll 3/25/80 Favorables: Anderson 68%; Kennedy 60%; Carter 51%; Ronald Reagan 30%.
    In March 1980, Reagan was trailing Carter by 15 pts.
    http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2016/03/337295/

As an outsider Trump's path is similar to Reagan's, HRC's problem is she is already struggling in the polls, especially in the key swing states. All down hill from here.

Rubbish Reagan was likeable and optimistic and polite and spoke well, Trump is dislikeable, rude and angry. Hillary is also more Nixon 1968 than Carter 1976
    Reagan was regarded as a crank and an airhead. Carter was likeable, principled but incompetent. HRC is regarded as divisive, corrupt and incompetent.

Of course as for 08 analogies, one should limit those. The US economy collapsed during the Presidential campaign, even HRC could have won that one.

Always seen Nixon as comparable to Trump, seen a few make that comparison.
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/donald-trump-richard-nixon-letter
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

FPT

JackW said:

Why will it be different?

Will the Trumpster suddenly find humility, grace and a countenance befitting the POTUS

To a large extent, yes.
    JackW said:

More importantly where will Trump find the extra voters outside of his base? There are not enough angry white working class males to fill the gap.

He will attack her from the left while undermining the legitimacy of her identity politics driven demographic advantages.

The polling shows that Clinton is beatable by a generic Republican candidate. Trump only has to detoxify himself sufficiently to make the election a referendum on Clinton which she will lose.
    And then he'll talk about his SCOTUS nomination (currently as close to Salia as possible) and all the nonsense about him pivoting to the centre or coming at her from the left will be shown to be baloney.

He had Joe Arapio at one of his rallies
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Which is the stronger correlater to voting intention-to acutally voting,

Rich people vs poor people

Or

Oldies vs whippersnappers ?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Evans fail in her High Court bid to lift her suspension from UKIP :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35881688
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

As a pro government lackey , you may think that but since the dispute began the numbers agreeing with that view point has fallen in every poll and support got the junior doctors has risen .

Saying "our pay rate for Saturdays is more important than even emergencies" is a complete reversal of messaging.
    Of course the junior doctors are not saying that and if you think Hunt and the government portraying them as saying that will have a negative impact on their public support you are deluded .
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Mr. Urquhart, it's not only the BBC. One of my favourite such instances was when an ITV journalist reported that an avalanche went downhill 'powered by gravity'.

Thanks, Sherlock. I was wondering why they didn't go uphill.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,471
    edited March 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Or

Rich Oldies
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    JackW said:

Is the High Court really an appropriate place to settle an internal party matter ? I'd have thought better use of it's time could be found.

Probably why she's lost, though I've not read the judgement.
  • Options

Not at all...you are missing the point.
    Which is what? Give BBC news to Murdoch?

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

Unfortunately the rational behind the changing is based on a survey that has been shown to be invalid yet the Government won't back down....

so eventually it all drops back to the Government trying to cut costs - probably not the best idea when it simply resulted in people leaving permanent employment to take a few well paid locum shifts instead....
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

As a pro government lackey , you may think that but since the dispute began the numbers agreeing with that view point has fallen in every poll and support got the junior doctors has risen .

Saying "our pay rate for Saturdays is more important than even emergencies" is a complete reversal of messaging.
    Of course the junior doctors are not saying that and if you think Hunt and the government portraying them as saying that will have a negative impact on their public support you are deluded .
    So they're going to cover emergencies like they have in the past during this Saturday pay dispute? Or are they not going to this time?
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

Yes, the UK has an imperial ton of Islamic extremists of its own. Indeed we are trend-setters in that regard.
  • Options
    eek said:

Unfortunately the rational behind the changing is based on a survey that has been shown to be invalid yet the Government won't back down....
    Considering the fact that the government was elected on a manifesto pledge to have a seven day NHS why would they back down?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

Is the High Court really an appropriate place to settle an internal party matter ? I'd have thought better use of it's time could be found.

You can go to Court for breach of contract if a party fails to follow its own rules.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

Apparently change.org is the appropriate venue.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

chestnut said:

Comres 45+ had an 8 point lead for Leave, which they turnout weighted into a 4 point lead for Remain.

All polls that survey certainty to vote show certainty to vote is higher with Leave.
    Not this one:
    "In this new poll 48% back Remain, while 41% say they would vote for Leave if there was a referendum tomorrow. The lead widens when people’s relative likelihood to vote is taken into account: if turnout patterns between different demographic groups at the referendum reflect those at last year’s General Election, there would be a 14 point lead for remaining in the EU."
    I believe they aren't being asked about certainty to vote. The pollster is making an assumption that patterns of turnout will match the patterns of turnout at the general election.
    How do you interpret this?
    "The lead widens when people’s relative likelihood to vote is taken into account:"
    I interpret it thus:-

"if turnout patterns between different demographic groups at the referendum reflect those at last year’s General Election, there would be a 14 point lead for remaining in the EU"
    Well, I guess that you can see what you want to see, but it looks to me as though:
    1. The lead widens when people’s relative likelihood to vote is taken into account:"
    and
    2. To illustrate what that might mean "if turnout patterns between different demographic groups at the referendum reflect those at last year’s General Election, there would be a 14 point lead for remaining in the EU."

The poll also shows
    "Roughly the same proportion of Remain and Leave voters say they may still change their mind (38% and 40% respectively)."
    So not a huge difference but Leavers are slightly less committed than Remainers.
    http://www.comres.co.uk/polls/itv-news-march-2016-eu-referendum-poll/
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    PClipp said:

Hunt is playing politics. Full stop.</blockquote

The LDs are playing the old Miliband game of jumping on bandwagons. It won't end well.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

You can go to Court for breach of contract if a party fails to follow its own rules.
    Well as long as she pays all the court costs, I suppose. This is going to cost her now she's lost I'm guessing..
  • Options
    felix said:

PClipp said:

And the Conservatives are playing politics with peoples lives and this old game will end badly for them .
  • Options

Go easy on the BBC...they are still struggling with the fact that all those nice progressive European countries that they wish the UK to be more like now appear to have minor inconvenience in the form of Islamic extremists and a few bad apples in the migrant crowds....I think it is shattering their world more than the British public voting for a majority Tory government.
    Err are you pretending there are no Islamic extremists in the UK? This really isn't the time for that kind of point scoring.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    At last some good news and I'm thinking that when all the old fogeys who worry about straight bananas and having to use metric pop off we might finally be able to take our place at the heart of Europe
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

eek said:

Considering the fact that the government was elected on a manifesto pledge to have a seven day NHS why would they back down?
    Shut down A&E on a strike so doctors can have reduced hours and more pay errr... which they have already been offered. Impressive....

I am sure ChrisA will be Long shortly to explain the logic.
  • Options

felix said:

PClipp said:

And the Conservatives are playing politics with peoples lives and this old game will end badly for them .
    Why don't you jog off and count up your MPs? Especially all those incumbents who held their seats last time. :)
  • Options
    Roger said:

At last some good news and I'm thinking that when all the old fogeys who worry about straight bananas and having to use metric pop off we might finally be able to take our place at the heart of Europe

People aged 45 have about 45 years life expectancy. You'll be waiting a long time.
  • Options
    felix said:

Err are you pretending there are no Islamic extremists in the UK? This really isn't the time for that kind of point scoring.
    FFS...NO....people clearly don't get what I was saying...doesn't matter.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Labour have nailed their colours to the mast

@UKLabour: This action is avoidable and the Gov. now has four weeks to avert this walkout - @heidi_mp on #JuniorDoctorsStrike https://t.co/Q5Uikg3wxA

Of course, the BMA has four weeks to avert this walkout if they wanted...
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited March 2016
    Why does anyone on the planet still listen to this colossal buffoon?

@LBC: Salmond claims Scotland has better intelligence on terror threat than England does https://t.co/rWunEjVqtQ https://t.co/cXgp9lRXs3

Edit

@richfryer73: @LBC @TheHairyJobbie Makes you wonder how MI5 got away with fixing the Indy ref then eh Alex
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    'Defeating IS is my top priority' - Obama

Now watch this drive....or as was the case yesterday, let me watch this MLB game.
  • Options

felix said:

Ok sorry no offence intended.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,031
    Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

Well as long as she pays all the court costs, I suppose. This is going to cost her now she's lost I'm guessing..
    It wouldn't surprise me if one or another of the UKIP donor bigwigs are encouraging her in this. Farage isn't necessarily universally popular within the party.

I think I'm right in saying that many (most?) of the UKIP supporters on here have gone off Farage, or even the party itself, since the GE.

It's a shame, as I think Evans would be a much better leader and appeal to a demographic in the referendum that others leavers cannot.
  • Options

felix said:

Well what you wrote looked pretty clear.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Can I bet on how many 000s of posts here trash this poll?

Why don't you focus on averages rather than a single poll? WhatUKThinks says it's 50/50:

http://whatukthinks.org/eu/
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@UKLabour: This action is avoidable and the Gov. now has four weeks to avert this walkout - @heidi_mp on #JuniorDoctorsStrike https://t.co/Q5Uikg3wxA

For the sake of the referendum Cameron should make one last u-turn and sack Hunt; He's made a complete arse of himself and he's going to make the government very unpopular just at the wrong time
  • Options
    @JosiasJessop Just seemed to me to b something the High Court probably wouldn't want neccesarily to get overly involved with (Does everyone then bring a case when they get suspended from any political party, opens up cans and tins of worms).
    I'd guess the "contract" with UKIP is pretty vague ...

My main concern was that the taxpayer isn't paying for such machinations !
  • Options
    edited March 2016

felix said:

Well what you wrote looked pretty clear.
    Head Desk...thud...do I have to spell it out...The point was an load of journalists including one particular idiot on the BBC say completely moronic things when it comes to this stuff...Now the world view of your standard Guardianista has been for so long if one we were more European, more like our more progressive European neighbours, everything would be so so much better....Except now our progressive European neighbours appear to experiencing exactly the same s##t we have, but actually worse, and now there is huge shock....

Witness statements like on CH4 last night in terms of Belgium authorities outlook, where the feeling was that as long as we didn't annoy the Islamists they wouldn't bomb us, its only those countries like US and UK that get it because of their foreign policy decisions in Iraq and Afghanistan.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    'Why does anyone on the planet still listen to this colossal buffoon?'

No-one does, outside one particular country where they lap all this nonsense up.

I must say at times I do reflect on quite what we have done, to have caused a nation of once hard-headed and sensible people to morph into the weird place of credulous cult-devotees that it is now.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Why don't you focus on averages rather than a single poll? WhatUKThinks says it's 50/50:

Averages are useless if you are averaging 2 sets of polls which are giving very divergent results . The chances of them both being wrong and the average of them being right is very small .
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

It looks as though the polls are beginning to converge, in any case.
  • Options
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Why does anyone on the planet still listen to this colossal buffoon?

@LBC: Salmond claims Scotland has better intelligence on terror threat than England does https://t.co/rWunEjVqtQ https://t.co/cXgp9lRXs3

Edit

@richfryer73: @LBC @TheHairyJobbie Makes you wonder how MI5 got away with fixing the Indy ref then eh Alex

Scottish equivalent of GCHQ must be f##king amazing...never seen them advertise for a job though. Wonder where they get all their staff?
  • Options
    What Leave needs, to capitalise on its momentum, is to get the Leave price down on Betfair. *HINT*
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Bangladesh shaping up to upset the hosts. Could be a nail-biter.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Pulpstar said:

Or

Probably about the same.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

It looks as though the polls are beginning to converge, in any case.
    Genuine convergence or herding? We've seen what guff the latter can produce.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@JosiasJessop Just seemed to me to b something the High Court probably wouldn't want neccesarily to get overly involved with (Does everyone then bring a case when they get suspended from any political party, opens up cans and tins of worms).

I knew a man called Michael Keith Smith whose expulsion from the Conservative Party was announced to the media by the then party chairman, prior to his receiving any kind of hearing. He was notoriously litigious, and took the party to Court. Immediately prior the hearing, the party realised it would lose, because it had not complied with its rules, and reinstated him, and paid legal costs of £10,000.

He then resigned.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,471
    edited March 2016
    Leave need to change these numbers if they want to win. People won't vote to make the economy worse

https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/712688388785192960
  • Options
    'Scottish equivalent of GCHQ must be f##king amazing...never seen them advertise for a job though. Wonder where they get all their staff?'

Salmond consults the Three Witches and they tell him the location of the secret oilfields.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

Fair enough. Doctors on strike will do wonders for the hospital survival rates.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    That seems a very high % for slight given the Armageddon style warnings so far. As for the no risk at all category, I presume they would also answer the same to "chances of a rainy day in December"...
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339

Sean_F said:

chestnut said:

But self-reported certainty to vote is notoriously flawed though isn't it? More people typically report themselves as certain to vote than actually do vote.
    I don't think it's that notoriously flawed. UK Politics Report had a graph comparing a panel of people predicting whether they'd vote with the same panel later saying if they had (they could lie, of course, but why?) There was a very clear trend line - people on 8/10 certain plus generally voted, people 2/10 minus didn't, etc. - obviously with some "unexpected" voters and non-voters. I think it's well-established, as you say, that people do overstate their certainty, but relative certainty seems to hold up quite well.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,009
    Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

I knew a man called Michael Keith Smith whose expulsion from the Conservative Party was announced to the media by the then party chairman, prior to his receiving any kind of hearing. He was notoriously litigious, and took the party to Court. Immediately prior the hearing, the party realised it would lose, because it had not complied with its rules, and reinstated him, and paid legal costs of £10,000.

He then resigned.
    He is now in UKIP I believe?
  • Options

That seems a very high % for slight given the Armageddon style warnings so far. As for the no risk at all category, I presume they would also answer the same to "chances of a rainy day in December"...
    69% Say there will be a risk to the economy because of Brexit, whereas 26% disagree.

People won't vote to damage the economy.

Leave need to change these numbers
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

He then resigned.
    He is now in UKIP I believe?
    Unfortunately, he died.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,009
    LondonBob said:

HYUFD said:

LondonBob said:

Opinion polls so far out have some, but limited, value. The Norpoth model has Trump beating Sanders 58 to 42, HRC by 52.5 to 47.5. Kasich has only won one primary and struggles to get in the 20s in most places.

L.A.Times poll 3/25/80 Favorables: Anderson 68%; Kennedy 60%; Carter 51%; Ronald Reagan 30%.
    In March 1980, Reagan was trailing Carter by 15 pts.
    http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2016/03/337295/

As an outsider Trump's path is similar to Reagan's, HRC's problem is she is already struggling in the polls, especially in the key swing states. All down hill from here.

Rubbish Reagan was likeable and optimistic and polite and spoke well, Trump is dislikeable, rude and angry. Hillary is also more Nixon 1968 than Carter 1976
    Reagan was regarded as a crank and an airhead. Carter was likeable, principled but incompetent. HRC is regarded as divisive, corrupt and incompetent.

Of course as for 08 analogies, one should limit those. The US economy collapsed during the Presidential campaign, even HRC could have won that one.

Always seen Nixon as comparable to Trump, seen a few make that comparison.
    http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/donald-trump-richard-nixon-letter
    Reagan never had the opposition from the GOP establishment Trump did and Bush Snr happily served as his VP. You have to go back to Goldwater to find such opposition to their nominee from the GOP elite

Clinton has Nixon's depth of political experience and shares his intelligence and ruthlessness but is dislikeable. Trump is a bombastic populist who has never held elective office
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    The Turkish presidency has identified the Brussels attacker deported by Turkey last July as Brahim El Bakraoui, who blew himself up at Zaventem Airport.

It follows Turkish President Erdogan's assertion that Turkey had deported one of the Brussels attackers and warned the Belgian authorities he was a militant.

The Turkish presidency said El Bakraoui was later released by the Belgian authorities because they had found "no links with terrorism".

------

Dupont and Dupond on the case again...If when even the Turks tell you he is a f##king terrorist and he isn't a member of the PKK, you have pretty damn certain he is a f##king terrorist....
  • Options
    Will Suzanne Evans take her appeal to the ECHR/ECJ?
  • Options
    edited March 2016

69% Say there will be a risk to the economy because of Brexit, whereas 26% disagree.

Probably...I was just pointing out that a surprisingly (to me) high % seem to give what IMO is the "right" answer. How they choose to vote based upon of course there is some risk, you might well be right.
  • Options

It depends what's meant by "slight risk". Even I think there's a slight risk (up to 2% of GDP).
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited March 2016
    Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

The Courts are the forum for justice in this country. Where else is one supposed to go?

"They can, indeed, make the tribunal the final arbiter on questions of fact, but they cannot make it the final arbiter on questions of law. They cannot prevent its decisions being examined by the courts. If parties should seek, by agreement, to take the law out of the hands of the courts and put it into the hands of a private tribunal, without any recourse at all to the courts in case of error of law, then the agreement is to that extent contrary to public policy and void." Lee v Showmen's Guild of Great Britain [1952] 2 QB 329

I haven't seen the pleadings. My guess is Evans applied for an interim interlocutory [or even ex parte] injunction which has been denied, which is quite routine. That of course may not be the end of the matter if she wishes to press the matter to trial and final injunction.

Her difficulty may be that [thus far] she appears to have been suspended, rather than expelled, and the courts may feel it is it inappropriate to intervene as no real injury has been suffered and the UKIP disciplinary machinery has an unfettered discretion to suspend, pending further enquiries.
  • Options

Leave need to change these numbers if they want to win. People won't vote to make the economy worse

What if you phrased it as "Opportunity of Brexit to British economy"?

Opportunities are risky, doesn't mean you only look at risk.
  • Options
    'That seems a very high % for slight given the Armageddon style warnings so far'

So either people are well immersed in the serious economic literature on this topic, which does suggest only a relatively small risk of +/-1% of GDP, or alternatively they have the common sense to know the armageddon warnings are indeed ridiculous exaggerations.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/712688388785192960

High risk: 30%

Slight to No risk: 65%

Leave seem OK for this.
  • Options
    runnymede said:

'That seems a very high % for slight given the Armageddon style warnings so far'

So either people are well immersed in the serious economic literature on this topic, which does suggest only a relatively small risk of +/-1% of GDP, or alternatively they have the common sense to know the armageddon warnings are indeed ridiculous exaggerations.

I know where I would put my money on that one...
  • Options
    Roger said:

Scott_P said:

For the sake of the referendum Cameron should make one last u-turn and sack Hunt; He's made a complete arse of himself and he's going to make the government very unpopular just at the wrong time
    Hunt is following through on a manifesto promise that was very high profile during the general election, is that something to be sacked over?
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

eek said:

Shut down A&E on a strike so doctors can have reduced hours and more pay errr... which they have already been offered. Impressive....

A 7 day NHS requires increasing the number of workers by say 30% to cover the days when people don't work (40% to cover the Saturday / Sunday minus say 10% to cover the nurses and Drs who already work those days).

The idea that you can do it with the same money and no more staff is just cloud cuckoo land. Yes you can move staff round but that doesn't solve anything it just reduces capacity Monday to Friday to make up for Saturday and Sunday.

Ironically all the local Doctors surgeries have stop doing Saturday appointments due to the total lack of demand. One surgery (out of the 20 in town) now opens on a Saturday morning to serve the entire town....
  • Options
    267162 voters on should we leave EU gives 72% leave and 28 % stay
    Daily telegraph

• Options
    Moses_ said:

Daily telegraph

Voodoo poll.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,169
    BMA: "the contract is unsafe for patients" so they're going on walkouts!
  • Options
    FattyBolgerFattyBolger Posts: 299
    I think those are pretty positive economic damage numbers forLeave following the plagues of locusts and zombies stalking the land warnings from Cameron and his chums. A large majority fit into "a bit maybe, none or dunno". Hardly a decisive wave of economic fear.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Mr. Moses, but is that just an online voodoo poll?
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274

The information from the question is incomplete though. Need to ask "what is the return for the risk taken in leaving?' and 'what is the risk of remaining?' and 'what is the return for the risk of remaining?'
  • Options

Roger said:

Scott_P said:

Hunt is following through on a manifesto promise that was very high profile during the general election, is that something to be sacked over?
    YES
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    eek said:

Moses_ said:

eek said:

The idea that you can do it with the same money and no more staff is just cloud cuckoo land. Yes you can move staff round but that doesn't solve anything it just reduces capacity Monday to Friday to make up for Saturday and Sunday.
    Well, yes. Obviously it reduces capacity Mon-Fri. Not sure why that matters if you pick up the slack in the weekend. Same number of ops, etc, but a full staff means you have less chance of karking it by having the temerity to get sick on a Saturday.
  • Options
    BMA rep: "I don't think anyone believes this is a dispute about pay"
  • Options

Leave seem OK for this.
    High/Slight Risk 69%
    Hardly/No Risk 26%

Leave seems holed below the waterline .
  • Options

Leave seem OK for this.
    High/Slight Risk 69%
    Hardly/No Risk 26%

I'm perfectly OK with a slight risk. A slight risk is completely acceptable for anything more than a slight return.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited March 2016
    Scott_P said:

Since Hunt decided to unilaterally impose the contract (uniquely in the existence of the NHS, and without giving more than an outline of what was in the contract), the BMA JDC has had multiple meetings around the country that were well attended. These sent delegates to BMA house last Friday who came to the decision to escalate. This was announced today. There is a non-emergency strike the week after next, then this strike on 26/27th April with no emergency cover in office hours.

I cannot see them backing down, there would be mass resignations from the BMA if they did. I expect the strikes to continue until August (the imposition date). At that point there will be many rota gaps, which cannot be covered.

• Options

Leave seem OK for this.
    High/Slight Risk 69%
    Hardly/No Risk 26%

Angels on pinheads.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

BMA rep: "I don't think anyone believes this is a dispute about pay"

Then why don't they drop the Saturday pay thing as an issue then and concentrate on whatever isn't pay related?
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    RodCrosby said:

Pulpstar said:

JackW said:

The Courts are the forum for justice in this country. Where else is one supposed to go?

"They can, indeed, make the tribunal the final arbiter on questions of fact, but they cannot make it the final arbiter on questions of law. They cannot prevent its decisions being examined by the courts. If parties should seek, by agreement, to take the law out of the hands of the courts and put it into the hands of a private tribunal, without any recourse at all to the courts in case of error of law, then the agreement is to that extent contrary to public policy and void." Lee v Showmen's Guild of Great Britain [1952] 2 QB 329

I haven't seen the pleadings. My guess is Evans applied for an interim interlocutory [or even ex parte] injunction which has been denied, which is quite routine. That of course may not be the end of the matter if she wishes to press the matter to trial and final injunction.

Her difficulty may be that [thus far] she appears to have been suspended, rather than expelled, and the courts may feel it is it inappropriate to intervene as no real injury has been suffered and the UKIP disciplinary machinery has an unfettered discretion to suspend, pending further enquiries.
    And per Denning LJ in the same judgment:

"Outside the regular courts of this country, no set of men can sit in judgment on their fellows except so far as Parliament authorizes it or the parties agree to it. The jurisdiction of the committee of the Showmen's Guild is contained in a written set of rules to which all the members subscribe. This set of rules contains the contract between the members and is just as much subject to the jurisdiction of these courts as any other contract."
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311

Naught but REMAIN propaganda!

Be LEAVE!
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    OMG cricket. New batsman, 2 balls, 2 runs required.

EDIT: Another new batsman, 1 ball, 2 runs required.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311

Moses_ said:

Daily telegraph

Voodoo poll.
    Did you hear about the psephologist from Warsaw who moved to Haiti?

He became a Voodoo Pole! :lol:
  • Options
    Anorak said:

eek said:

Moses_ said:

eek said:

Well, yes. Obviously it reduces capacity Mon-Fri. Not sure why that matters if you pick up the slack in the weekend. Same number of ops, etc, but a full staff means you have less chance of karking it by having the temerity to get sick on a Saturday.
    And we go full circle. The survey that showed the karking it by day justification has been shown to be flawed...

Personally having spent the weekend before last in the local hospital I really couldn't tell the difference between weekend and week day services. In fact the consultant was quite happy to discuss medicine changes at 1pm on Mothering Sunday lunchtime...
  • Options

Roger said:

Scott_P said:

YES
    Not every party holds their own manifesto in such contempt as the Lib Dems held their own while in government.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339
    Ultra-forensic Andrew Tyrie meets ultra-unforensic Boris, with entertaining results:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/mar/23/very-interesting-boris-johnson-brexit-treasury-select-committee
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

Roger said:

Scott_P said:

YES
    Not every party holds their own manifesto in such contempt as the Lib Dems held their own while in government.
    Student fees! LOL
  • Options
    Bangladesh the new South Africa? #Chokers
  • Options

Roger said:

Scott_P said:

YES
    Only the Conservatives would put things in their manifesto and then implement them in such a way that threatens the lives of many patients .
  • Options
    eek said:

Anorak said:

eek said:

Moses_ said:

eek said:

And we go full circle. The survey that showed the karking it by day justification has been shown to be flawed...

Personally having spent the weekend before last in the local hospital I really couldn't tell the difference between weekend and week day services. In fact the consultant was quite happy to discuss medicine changes at 1pm on Mothering Sunday lunchtime...
    My anecdotes would show the opposite :)

A flawed study does not mean the findings were wrong. I just can't help feeling that the healthcare should not differentiate anything based on the day of the week. It's an essential service like the Fire Brigade or the Police and should have a 7-day operation (not the medical kind of operation. Well, sort of, I hope you get what I mean...).
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    55% say there is a risk of Remaining in the EU.

89% of Remainers think there is a risk to the economy. Frit.
This discussion has been closed.