Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Cameron’s first policy resignation: IDS quits

Comments

• Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,087
    Fernando said:

I’m coming round to coalition government. Osbourne, at least, had his budget stress tested by Clegg and Alexander. And we weren’t tearing ourselves apart over the EU.

The Conservatives, at least around here, seemed a lot happier.
  • Options

watford30 said:

OGH : " Priti Patel is the obvious candidate being already within the department"

I disagree - like most Prime Ministers, Dave is likely to opt for a safe pair of hands and whose are safer than Greg's to take the step up being from Chief Secretary to the Treasury as suggested by Yours Truly here on 22 February and still available from those nice folk at Ladbrokes at value-packed odds of 16/1.
    DYOR.

Osborne went for the Health brief with his sugar tax land grab. Perhaps he could take on IDS's former job too, and combine it with The Treasury? The Jelly Chancellor is Brown to the core.
    Exactly, and WTF was Osborne doing announcing education policy in his budget speech. If he just stuck to being Chancellor of the Exchequer maybe he could make a better fist of actually meeting his own targets.

Of course, this row is really down to Cameron's complete inability to lead. But their again he did say he was the true heir to Blair and so he is proving, especially by tolerating a Chancellor becoming over mighty and overtly using his position to further his own ends rather than concentrating on his actual job.
    Very true.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,590
    edited March 2016

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I note DavidL's comments about IDs the enemy.

Don't let his support for Leave g plan would make Baldrick look like Einstein.

I fear this will not go well for Leave, I really do.
    I disagree abs change, than Osborne could ever be in a million years.
    He's taken more time to doubt that he meant well, really well, but blimey.
    Again the impressio all along.

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

I note DavidL's comments about IDS and the benefit cmoney.

That doesn't mean I don't think he has pickes the enemy.

e, I really do.
    I disagree absolutely and completely. I of an Osborne could ever be in a million years.

DavidL said:

I note DavidL's comments about IDS and the benefit changes on the previous thread but I think he has it fundamentally wrong. Thereasury as the enemy.

Don't let his support for Leave blind you Richard. He hdrick look like Einstein.

I fear this will not go well for Leave, I really do.
    I disagree absolutely and completelge, than Osborne could ever be in a million years.
    Richard IDS was the token posho-who-has-a-heart.

In the end, he expired worthless.
    I think that is simply a load of bigoted garbage based on no evidence what so ever.
    Why thank you.

Evidence? What you mean like his fingerprints on a DHSS benefit cheque?

He was the Cons' poster boy for equality. He fought, with tears in his eyes, for those on benefits and for the idea of people not being worse off if in a job than if out of one.

But boy did he milk it. Perhaps UB was a good idea and a workable one also, but the reality is that we are still waiting while IDS cried crocodile tears for the poor benefits-recipients who were discriminated against. Richard, it doesn't take much to say "I want people to be incentivised to work" - I cringed each time I heard him say it.

And, as I mentioned, I don't blame him completely, he was indulged by the Cons and told that he was invulnerable and was doing a great job. But the problem with that was that he eventually became to believe what he was told and hence huffed and flounced. Hubris writ large.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

So the Tories are now as screwed as Labour. Funny thing politics.

At least they are not the Lib Dems.

And UKIP aren't exactly doing great, either - is anyone doing well apart from the SNP?
    If the SNP started field candidates South of the border they might stand a chance. No shortage of Scots or malcontents in England.
    True. Under an AV system I'd definitely vote SNP in my UK constituency.
    It'd save a fortune on subsidies if we got rid of them.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,135
    Wanderer said:

IDS's resignation is deeply significant in political terms of course, but it is also has profound implications for economic policy. Going forward it will be almost impossible for the Tories to impose further cuts in public expenditure - all major areas of expenditure are either protected (health, education, defence, pensions, overseas aid) or face overwhelming political obstacles from within the Tory Party (tax credits, disability benefits). It is not credible to assume that the few remaining areas (law and order, local government, culture) could deliver more than token savings on top of the large cuts that have already been made.

The age of austerity is over. Osborne, or his successor, will have to increase taxes or accept higher borrowing over the next few years.

I think that must be right.

It seems quite likely that the next Conservative leader will be from the right of the party and that they will preside over a higher tax, higher borrowing administration. I suppose odder things have happened in politics recently.
    Indeed. The end of the age of austerity is catching me quite by surprise, but caveating aside, that seems a big part of what IDS is indicating, intentionally or not. Even Tories are sick of cutting, and don't trust the bigger picture is worth cuts to their favourite areas. And since they are no likely to raise taxes, as the public refuse to accept paying for things they expect the government to do, borrowing it is.

SCOTTISH TORY SURGE KLAXON

Holyrood List

SNP 42% (-3)
    LAB 18% (=)
    CON 18% (+3)
    GR 10% (+1)
    LD 6% (=)

Constituency

SNP 54% (+1); LAB 20% (-3); CON 16% (NC); LD 7% (+1); OTH 4% (+1)

I still have trouble believing the LDs would score that high in Scotland - they're struggling to get that in England!

Good night all. I'm reminded of the Wheel of Time right now.

The Wheel of Time turns, and ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legends fade to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the age that gave it birth comes again. In one age, called the Cameroon age by some, a storm rose among the Tories, a storm of europe and austerity, of old battles and new. It was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings or endings to Tory warfare. But it was a beginning.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    TOPPING said:

And, as I mentioned, I don't blame him completely, he was indulged by the Cons and told that he was invulnerable and was doing a great job. But the problem with that was that he eventually became to believe what he was told and hence huffed and flounced. Hubris writ large.

That hubris has infected the entire Tory party.

• Options
    GeoffM said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

And UKIP aren't exactly doing great, either - is anyone doing well apart from the SNP?
    If the SNP started field candidates South of the border they might stand a chance. No shortage of Scots or malcontents in England.
    True. Under an AV system I'd definitely vote SNP in my UK constituency.
    It'd save a fortune on subsidies if we got rid of them.
    Unless there's a local gang with the same initials, they've got fans as far south as the west country, as in my small town in the tory shires there's several places with SNP plastered on the wall left over from around the time of the GE!
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

I would obviously say I hope not. Funnily enough the EU ref split has somehow reminded people that there are ideas at stake that need to be argued for.

But yes it is a risk.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,264
    My impression that the next full (i.e. not interim) leader of the Conservative Party will be a rank outsider is becoming firmer all the time. The way this is going, none of the top bods - even May or Gove - will be left undamaged.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    edited March 2016
    MP_SE said:

Jonathan said:

Who are they?
    If you have grandchildren then now is the time to tell them about the LibDems before the memory dims.

Soon they will fade into folklore and myth and young people won't believe that they ever existed - like dragons, fairies, and the days that Portsmouth Football Club was any good.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

My impression that the next full (i.e. not interim) leader of the Conservative Party will be a rank outsider is becoming firmer all the time. The way this is going, none of the top bods - even May or Gove - will be left undamaged.

May has been keeping her head down. Let's see.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited March 2016
    kle4 said:

Wanderer said:

IDS's resignation is deeply significant in political terms of course, but it is also has profound implications for economic policy. Going forward it will be almost impossible for the Tories to impose further cuts in public expenditure - all major areas of expenditure are either protected (health, education, defence, pensions, overseas aid) or face overwhelming political obstacles from within the Tory Party (tax credits, disability benefits). It is not credible to assume that the few remaining areas (law and order, local government, culture) could deliver more than token savings on top of the large cuts that have already been made.

The age of austerity is over. Osborne, or his successor, will have to increase taxes or accept higher borrowing over the next few years.

It seems quite likely that the next Conservative leader will be from the right of the party and that they will preside over a higher tax, higher borrowing administration. I suppose odder things have happened in politics recently.
    Indeed. The end of the age of austerity is catching me quite by surprise, but caveating aside, that seems a big part of what IDS is indicating, intentionally or not. Even Tories are sick of cutting, and don't trust the bigger picture is worth cuts to their favourite areas. And since they are no likely to raise taxes, as the public refuse to accept paying for things they expect the government to do, borrowing it is.

Holyrood List

SNP 42% (-3)
    LAB 18% (=)
    CON 18% (+3)
    GR 10% (+1)
    LD 6% (=)

Constituency

I still have trouble believing the LDs would score that high in Scotland - they're struggling to get that in England!

The Wheel of Time turns, and ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legends fade to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the age that gave it birth comes again. In one age, called the Cameroon age by some, a storm rose among the Tories, a storm of europe and austerity, of old battles and new. It was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings or endings to Tory warfare. But it was a beginning.
    What cuts? Osborne's been tinkering at the edges, we haven't had any real austerity. But he's still succeeded in winding everyone up. And Cameron risks going down with him.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

I would obviously say I hope not. Funnily enough the EU ref split has somehow reminded people that there are ideas at stake that need to be argued for.

But yes it is a risk.
    They are following a very similar track to Labour who considered themselves uniquely popular and invincible after 2001.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    12/1 on Theresa May as Next Prime Minister looks more than fair. If you take the view that the leadership will be a Remainer v a Leaver, and both must be genuine big beasts (as the party are electing a PM, not just a leader), Osborne's loss must surely be her gain.

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-prime-minister
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,264
    Wanderer said:

May has been keeping her head down. Let's see.
    She'll get dragged in by the Leavers. After all, they seem to want to destroy the Remainers, even if it damages the party and lets a Corbynite into No. 10. Also, she's a leadership rival.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

kle4 said:

Wanderer said:

Holyrood List

SNP 42% (-3)
    LAB 18% (=)
    CON 18% (+3)
    GR 10% (+1)
    LD 6% (=)

Constituency

What cuts? Osborne's been tinkering at the edges, we haven't had any real austerity. But he's still succeeded in winding everyone up.
    Real or not, that was it.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

But yes it is a risk.
    They are following a very similar track to Labour who considered themselves uniquely popular and invincible after 2001.
    To some extent Cons have had invincibility thrust upon them, rather than they think that there is some kind of a priori devine right to rule. So I hope they realise that what is given, can be taken away as easily (Dan Jarvis, A. N. Unknown, etc).
  • Options
    watford30 said:

kle4 said:

Wanderer said:

Holyrood List

SNP 42% (-3)
    LAB 18% (=)
    CON 18% (+3)
    GR 10% (+1)
    LD 6% (=)

Constituency

What cuts? Osborne's been tinkering at the edges, we haven't had any real austerity. But he's still succeeded in winding everyone up. And Cameron risks going down with him.
    I'll correct - the age of talking about austerity being important is over.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,689

Just changed the photo in the thread header, that Mail front page is quite something

Surprised by the fee Terracotta pot?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

As far as I can see UKIP are just treading water, but the water is deep and they will end up on the bottom if they don't pull their socks up.
  • Options
    As per Laura K's Twitter feed, No. 10 is, er, pushing back on IDS's story.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    There must be quite a few Tory MPs who went with Remain because they are holding an IOU for One Cushy Job, signed George Osborne, now thinking "Bugger...."
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Just changed the photo in the thread header, that Mail front page is quite something

It does seem an excellent giveaway. Probably be smashed to pieces by the paperboy stuffing it through the letterbox ;-)
  • Options

Can't argue with the use of the word mega there. That is a one serious pot. Worthy of a weekend thread?
  • Options
    The thing that's annoying about this is that Universal Credit won't now happen. It was one of the few Tory policies that I felt was worthwhile.
  • Options

Absolutely.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Fernando said:

I’m coming round to coalition government. Osbourne, at least, had his budget stress tested by Clegg and Alexander. And we weren’t tearing ourselves apart over the EU.

That's because they could mentally pass the blame for all the deficiencies and failures of the Government on to the awful Lib Dems.
  • Options
    I thought the Pot was a mugshot of IDS. Should have known, it was more lifelike than usual.
  • Options

Absolutely.
    It's a whopper.
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237

Holyrood List

SNP 42% (-3)
    LAB 18% (=)
    CON 18% (+3)
    GR 10% (+1)
    LD 6% (=)

Constituency

It's a disgrace that with 42% of the vote the Nats end up with a huge majority. Blair couldn't even get that right.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,048
    George is on the pot, he needs to go full diarrhea follow through with his plans now.

No time for U-turning, he's done it over WT credits, pension reform and now disability cuts.

GEORGE'S TIME HAS SURELY COME (*)

(*)God I feel like @Cromwell with a Rubio betslip right now...
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    Last word, but I see they unlike IDS they did mention Europe. Which is legitimate to acknowledge the wider context, but is also a handy way to suggest without saying alternate motivations behind his actions. Definitely some cutting comments, for what are often bland 'let's pretend we're all happy about this' letters.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited March 2016
    Wanderer said:

Can't argue with the use of the word mega there. That is a one serious pot. Worthy of a weekend thread?
    Would have been perfect for my roses had I not already bought some reclaimed chimney pots.

A truly impressive pot if ever I've seen one.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474

What pot? I'm looking at the pretty girl, above a headline about something or other. Oh right, now I see it.
  • Options
    IF leave win, IDS is now perfectly placed to be chancellor. I reckon that is what he is after.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

George is on the pot, he needs to go full diarrhea follow through with his plans now.

No time for U-turning, he's done it over WT credits, pension reform and now disability cuts.

Lol, have you been at Cheltenham again today? :)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I'm thinking of writing a thread for Sunday entitled

'why there's never been a better time to back George Osborne for next Tory leader'

I think I may have overdosed on too many Mango lassis today.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,610
    As I, and one or two others on PB, predicted shortly after the budget - it was a f-ing disaster for Osborne the minute he sat down. At which meeting in the Treasury was the idea brainstormed that cutting disability benefits was a way to pay for CGT and higher-rate tax threshold cuts? Marvellous.

It is last year's tax credit cut all over again. Except this time, the people being cut have even less chance of making up the difference through working or extra hours or minimum wage increases.

Boris must be sinking a glass or three tonight.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,563
    kle4 said:

dr_spyn said:
    Last word, but I see they unlike IDS they did mention Europe. Which is legitimate to acknowledge the wider context, but is also a handy way to suggest without saying alternate motivations behind his actions. Definitely some cutting comments, for what are often bland 'let's pretend we're all happy about this' letters.
    That letter reads almost like I wrote it. Weird.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Holyrood List

SNP 42% (-3)
    LAB 18% (=)
    CON 18% (+3)
    GR 10% (+1)
    LD 6% (=)

Constituency

That's a 50% increase for the Tories since the 2011 election. 12% to 18%.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,033

The thing that's annoying about this is that Universal Credit won't now happen. It was one of the few Tory policies that I felt was worthwhile.

I think UC will happen, some people already get it, we are too far down the road.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited March 2016

Listening to labour's attack on IDS they are dishing the idea it has to do with PIPs and saying it is all to do with Brexit. I do not think this is good for leave as many IDS haters will vote remain just to protest against him and it may well be the spark that motivates the remain campaigners throughout the left

I think there's something in that.

Do Leave really benefit from their headliners being IDS and Nige?

To even things up a bit, Osborne should become a more visible figurehead for the Remain campaign.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

dr_spyn said:
    That letter reads almost like I wrote it. Weird.
    Desperate from Cameron. The one politician you thought might really understand disability.
  • Options
    Chris_A said:

Holyrood List

SNP 42% (-3)
    LAB 18% (=)
    CON 18% (+3)
    GR 10% (+1)
    LD 6% (=)

Constituency

It's a disgrace that with 42% of the vote the Nats end up with a huge majority. Blair couldn't even get that right.
    He got it "right" in the sense that the mongrel FPTP-List system rewarded local Sclab hacks handsomely during their dominance of the Central belt
    They should have just gone full STV like in Northern Ireland
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

EPG said:

Fernando said:

That's because they could mentally pass the blame for all the deficiencies and failures of the Government on to the awful Lib Dems.
    Yup, and now they cannot. So they have to stand on their own record and have no one to hide behind. After nearly a year it is not looking good.

I have a feeling that when this administration ends most of the people who actually notice that it has gone will say "What was that all about?", whilst the more perceptive will say "What a wasted opportunity". Like Blair before them, Cameron and Osborne had a chance to really change things but didn't take it.
  • Options
    Sourby? Or Hunt given the poison.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Wanderer said:

Pulpstar said:

Lol, have you been at Cheltenham again today? :)
    Just the wednesday. Obviously the best day of the entire festival - the Gold cup this year felt anti-climatic, after Annie Power and Sprinter Sacre's victories in the Champion hurdle and Queen Mother. I'd backed Don Poli, but Cue Card's fall made it feel all a bit meh.

I'd have liked to see Cue Card battle it out to the line, Vautour being rerouted to Ryanair and Coneygree's injury made the start lineup worse than it should have been too.

Financially I think I'm ~ £260 up overall from the meet (Pretty much all the profit from Sprinter Sacre)

A classic Cheltenham, not really a classic Gold Cup.

Next year is hopefully better for the Gold Cup - whilst Cue Card is probably too old, Thistlecrack vs Vautour vs Don Cossack vs Coneygree could be a thing. Probably too much to hope from Ruby Ricci Mullins though. Vautour totally wasted in the Ryanair. Don Poli and Djakadam not good enough.

• Options

Sourby? Or Hunt given the poison.
    Osborne xD
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,304
    New Tory split alert - The Times reports the chairman of Gosport Conservative Association has resigned after failing to stop a councillor using the ladies' loo at the local association office. Matters came to a head when chairman Peter Lockyer returned from holiday to find the women only sign he had put up had been removed by Glenn Duggan, an aide to Caroline Dinenage MP, on the instruction of Margaret Snaith Tempos the association president. Mr Lockyer said this 's as the straw that broke the camel's back' and his colleagues were 'just too lazy to go downstairs'
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

New Tory split alert - The Times reports the chairman of Gosport Conservative Association has resigned after failing to stop a councillor using the ladies' loo at the local association office. Matters came to a head when chairman Peter Lockyer returned from holiday to find the women only sign he had put up had been removed by Glenn Duggan, an aide to Caroline Dinenage MP, on the instruction of Margaret Snaith Tempos the association president. Mr Lockyer said this 's as the straw that broke the camel's back' and his colleagues were 'just too lazy to go downstairs'

Clearly to do with Europe.
  • Options

Listening to labour's attack on IDS they are dishing the idea it has to do with PIPs and saying it is all to do with Brexit. I do not think this is good for leave as many IDS haters will vote remain just to protest against him and it may well be the spark that motivates the remain campaigners throughout the left

To even things up a bit, Osborne should become a more visible figurehead for the Remain campaign.
    You really think anyone is going to march to a polling booth to vote for something just because Iain Duncan Smith doesn't like it? Seems rather far fetched to me.
  • Options
    Osborne's "Stalin to Mr Bean" moment?
  • Options
    What Cameron's letter fails to discuss, is whether IDS knew that the quid-pro-quo for PIP cuts was CGT and higher rate tax cuts.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I'm thinking of writing a thread for Sunday entitled

'why there's never been a better time to back George Osborne for next Tory leader'

I think I may have overdosed on too many Mango lassis today.
    Not a good thing for a diabetic - slapped wrist.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

What pot? I'm looking at the pretty girl, above a headline about something or other. Oh right, now I see it.
    She is very easy on the eye, and deserves to graduate beyond pots at some point.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

You really think anyone is going to march to a polling booth to vote for something just because Iain Duncan Smith doesn't like it? Seems rather far fetched to me.
    No. But there are lots of moderate, left-leaning people for whom the EU generates concerns, but not pressing ones, and who may well not turn out to vote at all yet may be open to persuasion. Headbangers are a turn-off to that kind of voter.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,304
    Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:

Yes clearly some EU equalities regulation for lavatories
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:

Yes clearly some EU equalities regulation for lavatories
    Directive against curved u-bends.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,071
    Wanderer said:

Donald Trump isn't exactly your typical Reaganite conservative.
  • Options

No. But there are lots of moderate, left-leaning people for whom the EU generates concerns, but not pressing ones, and who may well not turn out to vote at all yet may be open to persuasion. Headbangers are a turn-off to that kind of voter.
    Bit of this will soon put fire back in their bellies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBi-KXc0CRk
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,339
    edited March 2016
    What are they talking about in terms of restrictions though? Had they closed it down / made his max bet tiny because he has been really successful? Or just increased his max bet as he "valued customer" because he asked to wager more? Or something else, like better odds, "rakeback", etc?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,050
    DavidL said:

Nah. Shortage of funds always makes reform more difficult but this has been ridiculous. His resignation is the best chance of there being a significant roll out of UC (and I agree with you that in principle that is a huge step forward in a very necessary way) before the next election.

I do share your admiration of Gove though.

Nope. From the very start Osborne saw the UC reforms as a means of saving money rather than actually reforming the system into something fit for purpose. And this battle has been ongoing for a good while.

This is the Guardian from last November reporting exactly this.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/nov/06/george-osborne-iain-duncan-smith-universal-credit-tax-credits

And that was just the latest round in a long battle between IDS and Osborne.
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    With the government's current spot of bother it's a good job Hunt has been such a stunning success in his
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/journalists/laura-donnelly/12198069/AandE-now-overwhelmed-says-top-doc-as-he-calls-for-army-of-medics-to-be-sent-in.html
  • Options

Wanderer said:

Donald Trump isn't exactly your typical Reaganite conservative.
    But this wasn't about actual cuts. PIP was being reduced in scale of growth, by taking awards from vulnerable people, at the same time as tax was being handed back via CGT cuts and threshold changes. There was also the failure to add a penny or two to fuel duty. If the deficit is in such crisis - why the hell are we handing back tax?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,962
    edited March 2016
    The plot thickens....it seems that IDS is in very deep shit and has been forced to reveal his depatmental papers....

As indeed will Cameron and Osborne be when this loose cannon spins around the studios for the next three months dishing the dirt.

Cameron's own fault. If you sleep with dogs you catch fleas
  • Options

What are they talking about in terms of restrictions though? Had they closed it down / made his max bet tiny because he has been really successful? Or just increased his max bet as he "valued customer" because he asked to wager more? Or something else, like better odds, "rakeback", etc?
    Mr Davies was brought up in a bookmaking family and has been a keen and informed gambler. He was practising a “bad each way” strategy that allows gamblers with a knowledge of racing to exploit the odds on second and third-placed horses over a series of races. Bookmakers monitor customers’ activity and close down or restrict accounts where they suspect that it is happening.

In 2006 Ladbrokes believed Mr Davies to be practising the strategy and placed restrictions on his account. On discovering this the MP wrote to a Ladbrokes director to complain. The restrictions were then lifted.

A source who worked at Ladbrokes at the time said that a customer’s account would need to be making the “low thousands of pounds” a year to trigger restrictions.

“In my experience it is almost unheard of for restrictions on an account to be lifted. Bookmakers don’t do that because it would effectively allow a punter to make money from them indefinitely and they are not charities.”
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Silly man.

And these are the kind of leavers who want to run Britain after Dave goes.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Mr Davies was brought up in a bookmaking family and has been a keen and informed gambler. He was practising a “bad each way” strategy that allows gamblers with a knowledge of racing to exploit the odds on second and third-placed horses over a series of races. Bookmakers monitor customers’ activity and close down or restrict accounts where they suspect that it is happening.

In 2006 Ladbrokes believed Mr Davies to be practising the strategy and placed restrictions on his account. On discovering this the MP wrote to a Ladbrokes director to complain. The restrictions were then lifted.

A source who worked at Ladbrokes at the time said that a customer’s account would need to be making the “low thousands of pounds” a year to trigger restrictions.

“In my experience it is almost unheard of for restrictions on an account to be lifted. Bookmakers don’t do that because it would effectively allow a punter to make money from them indefinitely and they are not charities.”
    So the former, but a story from 10 years ago...I think he was a 2005 intake, so he was a nobody then. I believe there have however been more recent examples of where he has taken more much direct perks from Ladbrokes e.g. hospitality.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Osborne's "Stalin to Mr Bean" moment?

Richard Nixon to Mr Bean I'd say.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291

watford30 said:

She is very easy on the eye, and deserves to graduate beyond pots at some point.
    graduate to that right hand column of shame on Mail's website?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    Greg Clark would be a good call.
  • Options
    From what I'm reading it seems some people here are being a bit harsh on IDS. It's not clear to me that he's weak on the deficit. He may well have accepted the overall cuts to his department but wanted to make cuts elsewhere - to wealthier pensioners. Cameron and Osborne vetoed him, in which case you wonder if he was being given the freedom to run his department.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,962
    Jonathan said:

IF leave win, IDS is now perfectly placed to be chancellor. I reckon that is what he is after.

It's the way you tell 'em! Aparently he's been forced to release his cabinet papers which will reveal extreme incompetence throughout his department. Not that incompetence is likely to stand in his way. Infact it seems to be de rigeur
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Der Trump in Salt Lake City
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh_pPOzN_v0
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 726

I think UC will happen, some people already get it, we are too far down the road.
    Agreed, over 200,000 get it already.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/universal-credit-29-apr-2013-to-3-mar-2016
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:
    Crowd trouble already...
  • Options

RodCrosby said:
    Crowd trouble already...
    Wait till Arizona tomorrow...
  • Options
    Is there actually a betting market on IDS's successor?
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Young Turk Network directly comparing rise of Trump To rise of Hitler.
  • Options

Nonsense. Hitler's rise was far more elongated and uncertain...
  • Options

Wonder when we'll see the Reichstag You're Fired.

*gets coat*
  • Options
    Kanonen?

er kommt?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    FWIW, Graham Allen (Labour MP for Nottingham N, the most deprived constituency in Britain by some measures) has always defended IDS and worked with him across party on issues of pre-school assistance: he felt and so far as I know still feels that IDS is genuinely concerned about these issues.

That makes an emotional reaction perhaps more likely than a cunning plot. But whatever it is, it's certainly a genuine omnishambles this time.
  • Options
    I guess Trump must be familiar with the film Thirteen Minutes....
  • Options

They'll go into meltdown when Trump is president.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Pulpstar said:

They are pretty close to it already given that the Bern isn't going to get the nomination. That is what is prompting the Trump is a fascist and his rise is a kin to the rise of Hitler and he will enact similar policies.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Their world of PC make-believe is going to come crashing down.

This side of the pond too, so Gott will...
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,876

FWIW, Graham Allen (Labour MP for Nottingham N, the most deprived constituency in Britain by some measures) has always defended IDS and worked with him across party on issues of pre-school assistance: he felt and so far as I know still feels that IDS is genuinely concerned about these issues.

That makes an emotional reaction perhaps more likely than a cunning plot. But whatever it is, it's certainly a genuine omnishambles this time.

My lazy reaction to the benefits cuts row was 'it cant be that bad if they've got it past IDS' - who, what ever his intellectual heft or general competence I had down as sincere in his brief. That he's gone - aiming both barrels at Osborne - is symptomatic of an over-confident government that (Osborne) has taken its eye off the ball. Where was the pressing need to cut (our already low) GCT - is there some secret International Finance Minister's willy waving competition 'look - mine's even smaller than yours'?
  • Options
    Wagner!

Das beste.
  • Options
    While we wait, comments scrolling by:

Je suis Trump...

Trump ist unser fuhrer...

Musik to gas **** by...
  • Options
    Trump ist hier!
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    "Lyin' Ted didn't know he was a citizen of Canada.

He was supposed to be born here! That's how it's supposed to work..."
  • Options
    "We have to be allowed freedom of speech, folks..."
  • Options
    "My Jewish friend loves the Mormons"
  • Options
    "Number One, Hillary shouldn't be allowed to run..."
  • Options