Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Just out: This week’s Politicalbetting/Polling Matters TV s

Comments

• Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903

Is this Queen Brexit story a "dead cat on the table" story? It is drawing attention from more voters each hour and there is no denial from the Queen....

The Palace complaint to the Press Complaints Commission refers to the story as spurious. Sounds like a denial to me.

Clegg (leaving aside all the ho hums) has said it is untrue.
    It seems to me the table is littered with Leave's dead cats at the moment.
    They cannot tell us where they want to leave to.
    Well, if Clegg says that it's untrue, then that's fine ... (although, in the context of top LibDEM politicos in-receipt-of-an-EU-pension) I did previously feel rather let down by Chris Huhne
    By all means accuse Clegg of lying if you want to. I for one was not present so cannot comment. But he has said what he has said.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    edited March 2016

Is this Queen Brexit story a "dead cat on the table" story? It is drawing attention from more voters each hour and there is no denial from the Queen....

The Palace complaint to the Press Complaints Commission refers to the story as spurious. Sounds like a denial to me.

When you are on a sinking ship you don't argue about which lifeboat to take.
    You sound like the crew of the Marie Celeste. What happened to them?
    Whereas you are still listening to the captain of the Titanic.

I went to school with one of the grand-daughters of the Titanic captain. So no besmirching of Captain Smith please!
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    An interesting evening on Fox News. Each of the 4 remaining Republican candidates gets an hour to himself starting at 7pm Eastern.

Luckily I have several episodes of The Walking Dead to watch.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    Tim_B said:

An interesting evening on Fox News. Each of the 4 remaining Republican candidates gets an hour to himself starting at 7pm Eastern.

So 1hr of Fox will turn into QVC and be an infomercial for Trump Uni, Trump Steaks, Trump Water....
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    GIN1138 said:

Nick Clegg ‏@nick_clegg Mar 8
    Re Sun story. As I told the journalist this is nonsense. I've no recollection of this happening & its not the sort of thing I would forget

Yep,clegg's reply was a firm it never happened - lol
    Clegg having "no recollection" of this event is a bit like me "having no plans" to vote to kick Cameron and Osbornes asses out of Downing St... ;)
    And this guy replacing them ;-)

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/mar/09/dan-jarvis-vision-for-labour-leadership-talk-corbyn-challenge
  • Options

Tim_B said:

So 1hr of Fox will turn into QVC and be an infomercial for Trump Uni, Trump Steaks, Trump Water....
    That's 4 hours. I already have Costco water ;)
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2016
    Regarding the Scientists of Doom: One has to admire the organisation and planning which is going into Project Doubt. These people are pros, that's for sure. Whoever is handling the coordination of the waves of warnings is doing a remarkably disciplined job. Remember, we've got another three months of this, and they don't need to win the argument, just sow enough doubt.

Conversely, one can only look on in despair at the shambles of the various Leave campaigns. All we seem to get is whingeing about how unfair life is, and to make it worse every time they whinge it puts the Project Doubt agenda back on the front pages, crowding out any message Leave might have.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,271
    Re Her Magesty:

I have absolutely no doubt that HRH is likely eurosceptic. I would not be surprised if she favoured Brexit.

But she is the head of the Royal family, the head of state, and is deliberately and determinately unpolitical.

Whatever her views, expressed in the privacy of the privy council, it was wrong for anyone to share them.
  • Options
  • Options

Regarding the Scientists of Doom: One has to admire the organisation and planning which is going into Project Doubt. These people are pros, that's for sure. Whoever is handling the coordination of the waves of warnings is doing a remarkably disciplined job. Remember, we've got another three months of this, and they don't need to win the argument, just sow enough doubt.

Conversely, one can only look on in despair at the shambles of the various Leave campaigns. All we seem to get is whingeing about how unfair life is, and to make it worse every time they whinge it puts the Project Doubt agenda back on the front pages, crowding out any message Leave might have.

Its obviously never occurred to you that the 'waves of warnings' are based on at best deceit, and at worst the most outrageous lies that don't stand up to 2 seconds worth of scrutiny, let alone a detailed analysis. And you'll reap what you sow for doing so over the next 3 months.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,188
    hunchman said:

runnymede said:

Stephen Hawking & 150 scientists say leaving EU cld be "disaster for science"

Yes, the day after Brexit, we will return to the medieval age with the population mired in superstition and ignorance and witch trials every week.

So there was no scientific innovation in Britain before the EU came along?! Just another plainly ridiculous project fear smear. The defeatist attitude of saying that as a country we're not good enough to do anything without the EU is so negative and patronising to the good folk of this country.
    Don't tell me: will there be a "Eurosceptics accuse Stephen Hawkins of SCAREMONGERING!" headline in the Daily Mail? I'm of a mind to start collecting them... :)

• Options
    runnymede said:

Yes, the day after Brexit, we will return to the medieval age with the population mired in superstition and ignorance and witch trials every week.

No ... It is being suggested that in the long term, not the day after, that it will be bad.
    I do not have much faith in scientific motives but I'm bound to say the reason for this is that they are well aware of where their grants come from.
  • Options

runnymede said:

No ... It is being suggested that in the long term, not the day after, that it will be bad.
    I do not have much faith in scientific motives but I'm bound to say the reason for this is that they are well aware of where their grants come from.
    Presumably no science takes place in - for example - Switzerland?
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

The Queen story for out overtook any story the remain camp throw this week for publicity(Even the Bank of England Governor).

The Queen backs brexit was a shining light on the newspaper stand this morning,can't beat publicity like that ;-)

Lovely jubbly.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

hunchman said:

runnymede said:

So there was no scientific innovation in Britain before the EU came along?! Just another plainly ridiculous project fear smear. The defeatist attitude of saying that as a country we're not good enough to do anything without the EU is so negative and patronising to the good folk of this country.
    Don't tell me: will there be a "Eurosceptics accuse Stephen Hawkins of SCAREMONGERING!" headline in the Daily Mail? I'm of a mind to start collecting them... :)

Well its no surprise that the people shouting loudest for remain are those groups who are heavily reliant on EU funding........which is considerably less than what UK taxpayers are coughing up, with net membership of the EU running at around £30m per day, or around £11bn per year. They would be able to be funded just as adequately by the UK taxpayer in the event of a Brexit to replace the EU funding, and we'd have £11bn left over besides. Now I'm sure you could come up with many useful things that £11bn could be spent on, that you are denying to the people of this country in your adoration for the EU.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    hunchman said:

Its obviously never occurred to you that the 'waves of warnings' are based on at best deceit, and at worst the most outrageous lies that don't stand up to 2 seconds worth of scrutiny, let alone a detailed analysis. And you'll reap what you sow for doing so over the next 3 months.

I won't reap anything, for the very good reason that I'm not sowing anything. I'm not campaigning on any side here, or anywhere for that matter, but I'm commenting on the effectiveness of the campaigns. I understand of course that the more nutty Leavers can't get their heads round the concept of being objective, and that's probably why the Leave campaign is making such a mess of things.

As for the lies, well, yes, Scientists of Doom does seem exaggerated. But the Leave side is not exactly leading the field in honesty and intellectual coherence, in particular with the biggest lie of the whole campaign: 'control of our borders'. That chicken from hell will certainly come home to roost if it is a Leave result.
  • Options

The Queen story for out overtook any story the remain camp throw this week for publicity(Even the Bank of England Governor).

The Queen backs brexit was a shining light on the newspaper stand this morning,can't beat publicity like that ;-)

Lovely jubbly.

Actually, I think it was extremely counter-productive.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,188
    hunchman said:

viewcode said:

hunchman said:

runnymede said:

Well its no surprise that the people shouting loudest for remain are those groups who are heavily reliant on EU funding........which is considerably less than what UK taxpayers are coughing up, with net membership of the EU running at around £30m per day, or around £11bn per year. They would be able to be funded just as adequately by the UK taxpayer in the event of a Brexit to replace the EU funding, and we'd have £11bn left over besides. Now I'm sure you could come up with many useful things that £11bn could be spent on, that you are denying to the people of this country in your adoration for the EU.
    Well if you'd explain that to Stephen Hawking I'm sure he'd appreciate it. Him being so thick and all... :)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Re Her Magesty:

I have absolutely no doubt that HRH is likely eurosceptic. I would not be surprised if she favoured Brexit.

But she is the head of the Royal family, the head of state, and is deliberately and determinately unpolitical.

Whatever her views, expressed in the privacy of the privy council, it was wrong for anyone to share them.

I have no doubt she is wildly pro commonwealth and avidly welcomes the many thousands of non EU Indian and Pakistan citizens who come here each year.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048

runnymede said:

Clearly they are not. They think their grants come from the EU as if they appear out of thin air. They miss the fact that money comes from the Government and is simply laundered by the EU.
  • Options

hunchman said:

I won't reap anything, for the very good reason that I'm not sowing anything. I'm not campaigning on any side here, or anywhere for that matter, but I'm commenting on the effectiveness of the campaigns. I understand of course that the more nutty Leavers can't get their heads round the concept of being objective, and that's probably why the Leave campaign is making such a mess of things.

As for the lies, well, yes, Scientists of Doom does seem exaggerated. But the Leave side is not exactly leading the field in honesty and intellectual coherence, in particular with the biggest lie of the whole campaign: 'control of our borders'. That chicken from hell will certainly come home to roost if it is a Leave result.
    I've never ever said that life will be all milk and honey in the event of a Brexit. But at the margin I believe it would be considerably better than the arrangements that we currently have.

Even in the event of a Brexit, we would be very far from democracy in its true sense, and like the former MP for Broxtowe I would favour the Swiss direct democracy model, although they've sadly been moving somewhat away from it over recent years.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Re Her Magesty:

I have no doubt she is wildly pro commonwealth and avidly welcomes the many thousands of non EU Indian and Pakistan citizens who come here each year.
    If she has any sense then I hope she does.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

runnymede said:

Quite a bit of fundamental science occurs underneath Switzerland.

I am not sure what that has to do with
    a . my doubts about scientific motives
    and
    b . my faith in them knowing where their bread is buttered.

Hawking and co may be able to justify their arguments, but my general jaundice at their opinions is in fact driven by their well trodden expertise in following the money.
  • Options
    Good night all. 105 days to go until D-day.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Probably already reported but in case not, poll in Ohio showing Kasich in a clear lead:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/oh/ohio_republican_presidential_primary-4077.html
  • Options
    John_NJohn_N Posts: 389

Hawking and co may be able to justify their arguments, but my general jaundice at their opinions is in fact driven by their well trodden expertise in following the money.

Nicely put. Hawking is especially interesting when some of the fisticuffs between the two factions at Caius College in Cambridge comes out into the open, as it did when he boycotted an Israeli conference in solidarity with the Palestinians.

Clearly they are not. They think their grants come from the EU as if they appear out of thin air. They miss the fact that money comes from the Government and is simply laundered by the EU.

There's loads of private sector money in the universities these days. In the Russell Group, professors get appointed according to how much they'll bring in. At other institutions, who give a toss so long as students keep coming so the banks keep acquiring debt assets?
  • Options

Probably already reported but in case not, poll in Ohio showing Kasich in a clear lead:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/oh/ohio_republican_presidential_primary-4077.html

That has Trump at a lot lower than other recent polls: 29% compared with 38% to 41% in the other three most recent polls. Seems a bit unlikely that he's mislaid a quarter of his support in the last few days, but maybe there is a substantial shift going on.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,624

rcs1000 said:

Re Her Magesty:

So are REMAINers racist for favouring EU immigration over Commonwealth immigration?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Re Her Magesty:

So are REMAINers racist for favouring EU immigration over Commonwealth immigration?
    No, they just don't like cricket.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Excellent show - good to see some fellow Ryan-ites. That 11/10 Shadsy is offering on no Republican gaining 1237 delegates before the election looks like value.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    rcs1000 said:

runnymede said:

And there were no scientific discoveries or achievements before we joined the EU.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    edited March 2016
    Agree with Tissue Price. Very good episode of PBTV. Well done to all involved, especially Alistair Meeks and Shadsy who are both making their PBTV debuts, I think.

Today PBTV, tomorrow The Daily Politics!
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Re Her Magesty:

They are not personally racist but the system they support is racist.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    watford30 said:

rcs1000 said:

runnymede said:

And there were no scientific discoveries or achievements before we joined the EU.
    seems to me the trend might be that EU funds big, sexy and ulitmately useless projects like the Large Hadron Collider
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,624

watford30 said:

rcs1000 said:

runnymede said:

seems to me the trend might be that EU funds big, sexy and ulitmately useless projects like the Large Hadron Collider
    CERN straddles the Franco-Swiss border. Switzerland isn't an EU member. Also Israel is currently the only non-European member of CERN.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

runnymede said:

No, but it makes it more likely the next great scientific innovations and discoveries will happen outside the UK.
    Doesn't science take place in non-EU countries?
  • Options

watford30 said:

rcs1000 said:

runnymede said:

CERN straddles the Franco-Swiss border. Switzerland isn't an EU member. Also Israel is currently the only non-European member of CERN.
    Sorry Sunil, I was just trying to wind up some physicists. Nobody's awake and biting tho :)
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,875
    On topic- another excellent podcast - well done to all involved- though I wonder if Gove will be damaged if he turns out to be the source for Queengate.....
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029

If it is untrue then these is no privy council breach....
    Like the French ambassador's comments? :D
  • Options

Lovely jubbly.

Actually, I think it was extremely counter-productive.
    Of course you would.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693

Excellent show - good to see some fellow Ryan-ites. That 11/10 Shadsy is offering on no Republican gaining 1237 delegates before the election looks like value.

https://today.yougov.com/news/2016/03/09/would-paul-ryan-stop-donald-trump/
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,241
    The Gove leak allegation, even if untrue, will damage him. This highlights something I said the other day: the prominent leadership candidates will be hurt by their (real or not) leadership ambition unless they take great care (something May seems to have achieved so far).

For next Conservative leader, look at someone who has remained more or less quiet on the EU before reluctantly choosing a side. A man or woman who has held minor office, and is probably from the 2010 intake. Most of all: someone the media is not actively considering for leader.

Look for a leader who will be able to slightly turn their back on the years of austerity and show a new way forward for the party. Cameron's party has lasted eleven years The new leader will need a slightly different political philosophy to call their own.

(Is there a problem when a new leader 'adopts' the previous leader's philosophy? Brown didn't manage Blairism very well, and Major struggled in Thatcher's light)
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Tim_B said:

Which "Walking Dead" candidate performed best on "Fox News"?

• Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

The use of meldonium by “lots of” tennis players was one of the reasons it was outlawed before Maria Sharapova was caught taking it, former World Anti-Doping Agency president Dick Pound claimed on Tuesday.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tennis/2016/03/09/maria-sharapova-meldonium-used-by-lots-of-tennis-players/

Sounds like a lot of elite tennis players appear to have dodgy tickers and /or diabetics.

We know why tennis players take meldonium but it was legal until a couple of months ago. If it works and is legal, why wouldn't they use it? Wouldn't it be stupid not to?
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    edited March 2016

rcs1000 said:

Re Her Magesty:

They are not personally racist but the system they support is racist.
    "Institutional racism" - that good old Trotskyist stand-by... someone should ask JC his opinion. They won't get an answer, but if they happen to be in the Labour Party they might get expelled.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    JackW said:

Tim_B said:

If Leave win, a zombie apocalypse will destroy the UK.

Or is it Remain that will cause it? - it is hard to keep up with the nonsense being spoken by both sides of the Brexit referendum.

My view that referenda are poor ways of resolving complex issues grows stronger as the weeks go by.
  • Options
    Florida - Fox News

Trump 43 .. Rubio 20 .. Cruz 16 .. Kasich 10

National - ABC/Wash Post

Clinton 50 .. Trump 41

Via RCP
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    rcs1000 said:

Well, since you mention it...

The scientists, including three Nobel laureates and the Astronomer Royal, warn that any threat to freedom of movement could severely affect research in Britain.

In a letter to The Times they write: “We now recruit many of our best researchers from continental Europe, including younger ones who have obtained EU grants and have chosen to move with them here. If the UK leaves the EU and there is a loss of freedom of movement of scientists between the UK and Europe it will be a disaster for UK science and universities.”

They point to the example of Switzerland, which they claim is failing to attract young talent after voting to restrict migration of workers.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4709730.ece

Oh.
  • Options

JackW said:

Tim_B said:

Or is it Remain that will cause it? - it is hard to keep up with the nonsense being spoken by both sides of the Brexit referendum.

My view that referenda are poor ways of resolving complex issues grows stronger as the weeks go by.
    Except for nation forming as with SINDY I do not favour referenda.

If elected politicians abrogate their responsibilities then they should have their salary docked by 50% for every plebiscite inflicted on the voters.
  • Options
    @BBCNormanS: PM to suggest Brexit campaingers view "job losses and a dented economy" as "collateral damage"
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,684
    Scott_P said:

rcs1000 said:

The scientists, including three Nobel laureates and the Astronomer Royal, warn that any threat to freedom of movement could severely affect research in Britain.

In a letter to The Times they write: “We now recruit many of our best researchers from continental Europe, including younger ones who have obtained EU grants and have chosen to move with them here. If the UK leaves the EU and there is a loss of freedom of movement of scientists between the UK and Europe it will be a disaster for UK science and universities.”

They point to the example of Switzerland, which they claim is failing to attract young talent after voting to restrict migration of workers.

Oh.

Yes, I'm sure highlighting 'the Swiss disaster' is a brilliant tactic for Remain. Where did they go wrong eh? If only the poor heathens had joined the EU they could have been flooded with eager scientists. I'm sure they're weeping bitter tears into their money.

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,773
    Scott_P said:

rcs1000 said:

Oh.

Right

These would be the people who don't register patents ( see SO ), don't create new products we can sell and then bugger off to the US.

Aside from denting the Vice Chancellor's bonus what major loss are you expecting ?
  • Options

JackW said:

Tim_B said:

I think we need a vote on that.
  • Options

Aside from denting the Vice Chancellor's bonus what major loss are you expecting ?

A question best put to Stephen Hawking, three Nobel laureates and the Astronomer Royal...
  • Options

The use of meldonium by “lots of” tennis players was one of the reasons it was outlawed before Maria Sharapova was caught taking it, former World Anti-Doping Agency president Dick Pound claimed on Tuesday.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tennis/2016/03/09/maria-sharapova-meldonium-used-by-lots-of-tennis-players/

Sounds like a lot of elite tennis players appear to have dodgy tickers and /or diabetics.

We know why tennis players take meldonium but it was legal until a couple of months ago. If it works and is legal, why wouldn't they use it? Wouldn't it be stupid not to?
    It would be stupid to continue using it after the ban, which appears to be Sharapova's defense.

These guys are all watching the case carefully too:

http://www.dopinglist.com/?action=news&news=article&id=426

Eduard Vorganov, Russian cyclist, had his sample was collected out-of-competition on January 14.

Olga Abramova, Ukraine, biathlon, had her sample collected in competition in Ruhpolding in Germany on January 10.

Artem Tyshchenko, Ukraine, biathlon, had his sample collected in competition in Arber, Germany on January, 23 2016 at the IBU Cup 6.

Abeba Aregawi, Sweden, Track and Field. No information has come regarding where or when the sample was collected.

Ekaterina Bobrova, Russia, Ice dancer, had her sample was collected at the European Championships in January.

Semion Elistratov, Russia, Short Track Speed Skating, no information on where sample was collected.

Pavel Kulizhnikov, Russia, Speed Skating, no information on where sample was collected.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

So, they were not taking it for diabetes ? In her case, she must have shown sign of future diabetes at age 18! Her family doctor must be very good. We must learn from him / her.

They all take it for "performance enhancement". That is all the more reason why they and their advisors should read the latest guidelines thoroughly.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    These are very funny, sounds like torture

If you'd like some kind of pointer as to how likely Labour are to win an election in the next 10 years, read tonight's tweets by @JamieRoss7
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,684
    Scott_P said:

A question best put to Stephen Hawking, three Nobel laureates and the Astronomer Royal...
    Who would automatically be a politics and economics expert because?
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

Tim_B said:

If elected politicians abrogate their responsibilities then they should have their salary docked by 50% for every plebiscite inflicted on the voters.
    I think we should have a referendum on the question of whether EU membership should be the subject of a referendum.
  • Options

Eh?

They are scientists. Experts in science. Predicting bad things would happen to science.
  • Options
    The sheer scale of the Islamic State documents uncovered by Sky News is extraordinary. But even more valuable is their detail.

Each of the approximately 22,000 documents has detailed information in 23 different categories.

Most interesting will be the entries for the 'countries travelled through', 'previous fighting experience', 'who recommended him' and 'special skills'.
    http://news.sky.com/story/1656827/islamic-state-files-goldmine-of-information
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

so basically you're just posting anything without thinking of it's relevance. You don't actually know the significance of what you are blogging.

• Options
    We are all scientists, mathematicians, engineers and economists in Cambridge, are all Fellows of the Royal Society and are writing in an individual capacity.

the free movement of scientists is as important for science as free trade is for market economics.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/letters/article4709281.ece
  • Options

so basically you're just posting anything without thinking of it's relevance.

Eh, no.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

JackW said:

Tim_B said:

Better have the elite tell them what to do, right? After all, the people shouldn't have a say in the future of their country because they don't understand the issues properly
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited March 2016

It would be stupid to continue using it after the ban, which appears to be Sharapova's defense.
    It's not like it being added to the banned list is a big surprise, it's been on the "watch" list for several years while they considered a ban. Anyone continuing to use it was pushing their luck and really only has themselves to blame if they didn't watch out for when it was moved to the banned list.
  • Options
    Charles said:

JackW said:

Tim_B said:

Better have the elite tell them what to do, right? After all, the people shouldn't have a say in the future of their country because they don't understand the issues properly
    yes we should

Yes they should
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Eh?

They are scientists. Experts in science. Predicting bad things would happen to science.
    Clearly we need a double blind experiment, where the scientists don't know if they are actually in the EU or not, to see the effects. Anything else is just conjecture.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

So, they were not taking it for diabetes ? In her case, she must have shown sign of future diabetes at age 18! Her family doctor must be very good. We must learn from him / her.

They all take it for "performance enhancement". That is all the more reason why they and their advisors should read the latest guidelines thoroughly.
    Yes, of course tennis players (and others) were taking the drug for performance enhancement. No-one is denying that. However, meldonium was only banned this year. Not ten years ago: ten weeks ago.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,241
    There was an interesting program on R4 the other day "The Life Scientific" with Venkatraman Ramakrishnan, nobel laureate and current president of the Royal Society.

His career has seen him move all over the world, and there was a section stating how hard it was to decide to uproot his family once more to move from the US to the UK. It is obviously to our advantage he did.

It seems quite apt given this latest thread to the debate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venkatraman_Ramakrishnan
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b072jdqc
  • Options

surbiton said:

Yes, of course tennis players (and others) were taking the drug for performance enhancement. No-one is denying that. However, meldonium was only banned this year. Not ten years ago: ten weeks ago.
    And she was caught at the Australian Open, just a few weeks into the year.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Clearly we need a double blind experiment, where the scientists don't know if they are actually in the EU or not, to see the effects. Anything else is just conjecture.

Apart from the empirical evidence they already have. From Switzerland.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Eh?

Bull.

The academics on the governance committees of the university I'm involved in have important perspectives on the future of the School and are very good at navigating the grants systems. But they have no particular insight into the impact of macro changes at the government level. They will just make the best of whatever system is put in place (and we do very well out of the current HEFCE arrangements
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

Tim_B said:

I think we should have a referendum on the question of whether EU membership should be the subject of a referendum.
    I think your father didn't chastice you sufficiently as a child .... :smile:
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

rcs1000 said:

Apart from the empirical evidence they already have. From Switzerland.
    That simply doesn't work: the scientists know that they are in Switzerland, and therefore it's not double blind.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

so basically you're just posting anything without thinking of it's relevance.

Eh, no.
    If you;re so concerned about science why then has HMG TREBLED uni fees ? Surely if science was our number one concern we'd offer free places ?
  • Options
    Indigo said:

It's not like it being added to the banned list is a big surprise, it's been on the "watch" list for several years while they considered a ban. Anyone continuing to use it was pushing their luck and really only has themselves to blame if they didn't watch out for when it was moved to the banned list.
    Exactly, so Sharapovas defense is that she took a drug not available in the countries where she spends most of her time for 9 years 11 months longer than recommended for an ailment different to the one it is licensed for. And all of her team of medical advisors coaches etc. were also too stupid to notice the ban. As was she. Sounds legit
  • Options
    22,000 jihadis, at least 12 of whom are British (according to the BBC's summary of The Times).

The sheer scale of the Islamic State documents uncovered by Sky News is extraordinary. But even more valuable is their detail.

Each of the approximately 22,000 documents has detailed information in 23 different categories.

Most interesting will be the entries for the 'countries travelled through', 'previous fighting experience', 'who recommended him' and 'special skills'.
    http://news.sky.com/story/1656827/islamic-state-files-goldmine-of-information

• Options

Scott_P said:

so basically you're just posting anything without thinking of it's relevance. You don't actually know the significance of what you are blogging.
    What did you expect from Scott&Paste.

Today's startling revelation, scientists involved in science projects funded at least partly by the EU think leaving the EU would be a bad idea. Shocking news I am sure.
  • Options
    I heard yesterday that it was announced in September that it'd be banned from January.

No reason to get caught out. Just lazy or chancing her arm
    Indigo said:

• Options
    Charles said:

JackW said:

Tim_B said:

No. The people democratically elect a parliament with the power to make these decisions. It is how Britain has been run for years. The fashion for referenda has not been an edifying one, and not improved the quality of our politics. It is an abdication of responsibility by those we chose to form a government.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,875
    Sun editor wriggling on Today - calling question of whether queen actually backs BREXIT as "semantics"
  • Options

Yes, of course tennis players (and others) were taking the drug for performance enhancement. No-one is denying that.

Sharapova is denying it
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

Tim_B said:

yes we should

Yes they should
    BTW, we had an informal show of hands at one of our family council meetings last night (about 20 people, mainly from the younger generation, together with a smattering of partners).

About 35% were in favour of Brexit (including most of the partners, which slightly surprised me). About 25% in favour of Remain (including most of the representatives of our European scions) the remainder were on the fence.

Conclusion was that we are pretty representative of the country in that we are fairly evenly split. But, at the request of some of senior external colleagues we are not taking a public position.

BTW @Topping - view from our head of IM was that MIFID2 (or equivalent legislation) would be introduced regardless of whether we were in the EU or not - it's necessary reform, albeit painful rather than something that would change dramatically.
  • Options

we'd offer free places ?

How exactly does *free University tuition relate to the free movement of top quality researchers within the EU?

*not free at all

You are not getting very far trying to claim Stephen Hawking doesn't know what he is talking about.
  • Options
    edited March 2016

No. The people democratically elect a parliament with the power to make these decisions. It is how Britain has been run for years. The fashion for referenda has not been an edifying one, and not improved the quality of our politics. It is an abdication of responsibility by those we chose to form a government.

The SNP should just declare independence then, assuming they get a majority? :)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

surbiton said:

What's the washout period for meldonium?
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,739

Charles said:

JackW said:

Tim_B said:

True and it's mostly been used by Prime Ministers to keep their party happy, from Wilson to Cameron.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Today's startling revelation, scientists involved in science projects funded at least partly by the EU think leaving the EU would be a bad idea. Shocking news I am sure.

That's not what it says, but don't let facts get in your way
  • Options

Charles said:

JackW said:

Tim_B said:

That presumes that the major parties offer the public a choice, mostly they don't. On a whole range of issues there is a "liberal consensus" which while I am sure suits someone of your views, does leave whole chunks of the electorate disenfranchised.

Like at the moment of parties with the potential to be in government you have the choice of voting for the pro-EU Conservative party or the pro-EU Labour party, and until their recent near demise, the pro-EU Liberal Democrats.
  • Options

Charles said:

JackW said:

Tim_B said:

Parliament/the executive has the right to make decisions but, as a recipient of delegated authority, it has no right to give those powers away.

AV shouldn't have been a referendum.

Indy1 and the EU are appropriate topics for a vote
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,144

surbiton said:

That’s not quite right. Back in September it was announced that WADA were “watching” it. It was only actually banned three months later. It’s pretty clear that it does increase tolerance to exercise.
    One would thought that a top-class player would have someone on the staff who kept an eye on WADA announcements, particularly when the player themselves must have known that they were taking something unusual. It’s also noteworthy, as (IIRC) Dick Pound pointed out, that Sharapova lives in the US and it’s not normally available there, and has to be imported from (probably) Russia.
  • Options
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

surbiton said:

It been on their watched list for several years, it was always going to be banned, it was just a question of when. Really we should have no sympathy with this level of luck-pushing.
  • Options

Yes, of course tennis players (and others) were taking the drug for performance enhancement. No-one is denying that.

Sharapova is denying it
    A pretty implausible denial! I can see no legitimate use of the drug, even when it was not on the banned list.

• Options
    Indigo said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

surbiton said:

It been on their watched list for several years, it was always going to be banned, it was just a question of when. Really we should have no sympathy with this level of luck-pushing.
    I don't have much sympathy - she's been an idiot.

But if it was performance-enhancing she'd have been a fool not to take it while it was permitted. What I'm intrigued by - hence the question - is whether she *took* it after than ban, or whether there is a wash-out period so she still had drug residue in her system
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

we'd offer free places ?

How exactly does *free University tuition relate to the free movement of top quality researchers within the EU?

*not free at all

You are not getting very far trying to claim Stephen Hawking doesn't know what he is talking about.
    Yeah you're trying to avoid how charging more isn't detrimental.

We could for example trouser the money we get back from leaving and have free unis again thereby inviting top quality grads from across the world to study here.

Or is that just too outside the box for you ?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

JackW said:

Tim_B said:

Parliament/the executive has the right to make decisions but, as a recipient of delegated authority, it has no right to give those powers away.
    Didn't Mr Sked or one of his fellow travellers lose a case at the Supreme Court on that basis when is was argued that the executive had no right to give away powers to Brussels ??

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Scott_P said:

rcs1000 said:

Oh.

"...which they claim..."

Without an agenda, of course.
  • Options
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

surbiton said:

I was wondering the same thing.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Indigo said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

surbiton said:

I don't have much sympathy - she's been an idiot.

But if it was performance-enhancing she'd have been a fool not to take it while it was permitted. What I'm intrigued by - hence the question - is whether she *took* it after than ban, or whether there is a wash-out period so she still had drug residue in her system
    http://www.google.com/patents/US7223797
    Other essential drawback of Meldonium is caused by the half-elimination period equalling 4–10 hours for humans
This discussion has been closed.