Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : March 3rd 2016

SystemSystem Posts: 11,704
edited March 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : March 3rd 2016

Bloomfield (Lab defence) on Blackpool
Result of council at last election (2015): Labour 29, Conservatives 13 (Labour majority of 16)
Result of ward at last election (2015) : Emboldened denotes elected
Labour 1,045, 902 (45%)
United Kingdom Independence Party 585 (25%)
Conservative 463, 294 (20%)
Green Party 202 (9%)
Independent 37 (2%)
Candidates duly nominated:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    1st
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    FPT:

rcs1000 said:

Wanderer said:

rcs1000 said:

Fellow Leavers.

If we vote to Remain, it does not mean we are destined to join a European superstate, the Euro, etc. It merely means that we will need to wait until either (a) about a decade has passed, or (b) the Eurocrats make too blatant a power grab. The population of today does not decide for the population of tomorrow: if being inside the EU is sufficiently electorally unpopular, then we will leave the EU.

^This

If anyone thinks a Remain result means we agree to anything and everything they will get an unpleasant shock.
    And that's exactly what some people said in 1975.
    Until now, Richard, there has not been a consensus for leaving. When political parties stood on a "leave the EU platform", such as Labour in 1983, or UKIP in 2010, they did very badly.

Yet joining the Euro was sufficiently politically unpopular that we did not do it, even when ostensibly pro-EU parties were elected.

We are being given an opportunity now because anti-EU parties have made an impact. If we vote to Remain, then we have the opportunity to elect UKIP MPs and Eurosceptics from other parties. That is the nature of democracy.
    That's true but if there's two things that's been proved this year is that the establishment will never stand up to the EU and that the establishment will do anything to remain in the EU.

By the time you've elected all your Eurosceptic MPs a lot of damage could have been done.

And getting those Eurosceptic MPs might be easier said than done - IIRC Cameron claimed to be more Eurosceptic than Davis back in 2005, the reality we see now has come as a shock to many (but not to me).

Which is why UKIP has risen, and it's why if the government rolls over post a Remain vote, it will continue to rise.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    rcs1000 said:

FPT:

rcs1000 said:

Wanderer said:

rcs1000 said:

Fellow Leavers.

If we vote to Remain, it does not mean we are destined to join a European superstate, the Euro, etc. It merely means that we will need to wait until either (a) about a decade has passed, or (b) the Eurocrats make too blatant a power grab. The population of today does not decide for the population of tomorrow: if being inside the EU is sufficiently electorally unpopular, then we will leave the EU.

^This

If anyone thinks a Remain result means we agree to anything and everything they will get an unpleasant shock.
    Until now, Richard, there has not been a consensus for leaving. When political parties stood on a "leave the EU platform", such as Labour in 1983, or UKIP in 2010, they did very badly.

Yet joining the Euro was sufficiently politically unpopular that we did not do it, even when ostensibly pro-EU parties were elected.

We are being given an opportunity now because anti-EU parties have made an impact. If we vote to Remain, then we have the opportunity to elect UKIP MPs and Eurosceptics from other parties. That is the nature of democracy.
    That's true but if there's two things that's been proved this year is that the establishment will never stand up to the EU and that the establishment will do anything to remain in the EU.

By the time you've elected all your Eurosceptic MPs a lot of damage could have been done.

And getting those Eurosceptic MPs might be easier said than done - IIRC Cameron claimed to be more Eurosceptic than Davis back in 2005, the reality we see now has come as a shock to many (but not to me).

Which is why UKIP has risen, and it's why if the government rolls over post a Remain vote, it will continue to rise.
    So why has the UKIP vote collapsed in most council by elections since May and why have around 20 of their councillors resigned from their party since May ?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    edited March 2016
    So this is what it's come to - A British Prime Minister goes to France and get's the French to intimidate and threaten his own citizens...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    Further ammunition for the Leave campaign comes in the new General Data Protection Regulation. It imposes a potential fine for breach of 20,000,000 EUR or 4% of annual worldwide turnover, whichever is greater. Given small and medium sized organisations are far more likely to have 4% of their turnover come in at less than 20,000,000 EUR it will have a disproportionate impact on them over large multinationals
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Data_Protection_Regulation
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Rasmussen national general election

Clinton 41
    Trump 36

Trump has the support of 65% of GOP voters, while Clinton picks up 76% of the vote among Democrats. Twenty-two percent (22%) of Republicans and 13% of Democrats like some other candidate right now. Among voters not affiliated with either major party, it’s Trump 34%, Clinton 32%, with nearly as many (28%) who prefer someone else.

Trump has a slight edge among male voters, but Clinton posts a double-digit lead among women.

Voters 65 and older are the only age group in which the Republican has the advantage. However, Clinton has struggled in the primaries to capture the youth vote, and while she has a 16-point lead over Trump among those under 40, 30% of these voters either like another candidate or are undecided at this time.

Trump has a modest lead among whites; Clinton leads overwhelmingly among blacks and has a 10-point advantage among other minority voters. But roughly one-out-of-four white and other minority voters like someone else or are undecided.

Most conservatives favor Trump, while even more liberals like Clinton. The Democrat leads by nine among self-described political moderates.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2016/clinton_edges_ahead_of_trump_in_presidential_matchup
  • Options
    Re the Bondfields by election , Labour won this ward in 2012 and are therefore defending it in May . Possibly the Conservative win in 2014 and certainly the high Green vote in that year can be attributed to Labour fielding a lady with an Islamic sounding name .
  • Options
    NorfolkTilIDieNorfolkTilIDie Posts: 1,268
    Sajid Javids comments today seem to be saying "I will continue to play the Cameroon game of talking like a eurosceptic to keep party support, while not actually walking the walk". It reminds me of the Labour line about "controlling" immigration while not actually enacting any policies to reduce it. For the electorate, whatever side of the debate you fall on, it just makes you seem untrustworthy.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Further ammunition for the Leave campaign comes in the new General Data Protection Regulation. It imposes a potential fine for breach of 20,000,000 EUR or 4% of annual worldwide turnover, whichever is greater. Given small and medium sized organisations are far more likely to have 4% of their turnover come in at less than 20,000,000 EUR it will have a disproportionate impact on them over large multinationals

Are you saying that Leave does not want our personal data protecting ?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I've blinked and cashed out my Republican Nom market.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

rcs1000 said:

FPT:

rcs1000 said:

Wanderer said:

rcs1000 said:

Fellow Leavers.

^This

So why has the UKIP vote collapsed in most council by elections since May and why have around 20 of their councillors resigned from their party since May ?
    Referendum.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Alistair said:

I've blinked and cashed out my Republican Nom market.

I don't even have the button right now.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

FPT:

rcs1000 said:

Wanderer said:

rcs1000 said:

Fellow Leavers.

^This

Maybe because UKIP has poor local organisation, zero relevant council policies, and your local councillor is unlikely to have any meaningful impact on whether the UK stays in the EU.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Am I crazy for thinking now is an outstanding time to be backing Donald Trump?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

That is not the issue, the issue is that fines for potential breaches as a result of this legislation could have a disproportionate impact on smaller businesses and organisations, fines should be levied solely as a percentage of turnover, certainly if the alternative is such a large fine
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,584
    edited March 2016

If you're crazy, then I don't want to be sane.

I've done a full reverse ferret on both the GOP nom and POTUS for Trump
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    edited March 2016
    GIN1138 said:

So this is what it's come to - A British Prime Minister goes to France and get's the French to intimidate and threaten his own citizens...

Am I alone in thinking that Cameron's hysterical campaign will not go down well and that he could indeed be riding for a fall?
  • Options
    Hmm, I don't even have the excuse of alcohol-affected betting because I haven't had a drink in 10 days.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

No. The time is now, the moment is at hand.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Well, let's start with turnover being a rubbish way of measuring fines. A pharmaceutical distributor will have billions of pounds of sales, but a few tens of millions of pounds of profit. Why? Because distributing pharmaceuticals is a very low margin business.

To the point: I think what HYUFD is saying is it should be up to the UK government to set the correct levels of fine for negligent behaviour that causes data leaks. That being said, I find myself slightly torn on this. When I use Amazon, I have no idea whether the site is hosted in Luxembourg or in Liverpool, so this is an area where I can see the benefit of cross-country co-operation.
  • Options
    Cameron must go.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

That is not the issue, the issue is that fines for potential breaches as a result of this legislation could have a disproportionate impact on smaller businesses and organisations, fines should be levied solely as a percentage of turnover, certainly if the alternative is such a large fine
    Is a breach ajudged to have happened at the parent or the subsidiary level? If the latter, it is highly likely the maximum fine is almost impossible to be imposed anyway.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Cameron must go.

Where?
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,924
    HYUFD said:

Rasmussen national general election

Clinton 41
    Trump 36

Trump has the support of 65% of GOP voters, while Clinton picks up 76% of the vote among Democrats. Twenty-two percent (22%) of Republicans and 13% of Democrats like some other candidate right now. Among voters not affiliated with either major party, it’s Trump 34%, Clinton 32%, with nearly as many (28%) who prefer someone else.

Trump has a slight edge among male voters, but Clinton posts a double-digit lead among women.

Voters 65 and older are the only age group in which the Republican has the advantage. However, Clinton has struggled in the primaries to capture the youth vote, and while she has a 16-point lead over Trump among those under 40, 30% of these voters either like another candidate or are undecided at this time.

Trump has a modest lead among whites; Clinton leads overwhelmingly among blacks and has a 10-point advantage among other minority voters. But roughly one-out-of-four white and other minority voters like someone else or are undecided.

Most conservatives favor Trump, while even more liberals like Clinton. The Democrat leads by nine among self-described political moderates.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2016/clinton_edges_ahead_of_trump_in_presidential_matchup

Rasmussen is also the most GOP-leaning national pollster in the US.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited March 2016
    Greater fan loyalty knows no more than a man who drops all his spurs players from his fantasy team in the certain hope that by doing so will ensure they score bundles as a result in the next game... selling Kane should also ensure a hat trick too.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Cameron must go.

On.
  • Options

chestnut said:

Cameron must go.

On.
    and on...

ariston cameron.
  • Options

Greater fan loyalty knows no more than a man who drops all his spurs players from his fantasy team in the certain hope that by doing so will ensure they score bundles as a result in the next game... selling Kane should also ensure a hat trick too.

Just one place behind you, you know what's going to happen this weekend.

I'm going to play Augero as triple captain this weekend, and they play Villa
  • Options
    Anywhere.

His wimpish performance is inadequate.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited March 2016

And then Norwich...

I saw the desperate use of the bench boost had been forced upon you.. but for Milner...
  • Options
    My latest moves: Back Rubio POTUS 17.0
    Lay nom 6.0
  • Options

Hmm, I don't even have the excuse of alcohol-affected betting because I haven't had a drink in 10 days.

Would be interested in your thoughts on the US, if you felt inspired to write a thread header on it.

Of course, you'd miss out on your regular masochistic fix.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Surely the issue is that the fines should be large enough to act as a deterrent to frms breaching our data protection . ########now if you were arguing that the act did not go far enough in deterring larger businesses and organisations I would probably agree with you .
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Well, let's start with turnover being a rubbish way of measuring fines. A pharmaceutical distributor will have billions of pounds of sales, but a few tens of millions of pounds of profit. Why? Because distributing pharmaceuticals is a very low margin business.

To the point: I think what HYUFD is saying is it should be up to the UK government to set the correct levels of fine for negligent behaviour that causes data leaks. That being said, I find myself slightly torn on this. When I use Amazon, I have no idea whether the site is hosted in Luxembourg or in Liverpool, so this is an area where I can see the benefit of cross-country co-operation.
    Even a few tens of millions of profit would still enable a large pharmaceutical distributor to absorb a potential fine rather better than a much smaller enterprise would be able to do. Presently the maximum fine under the DPA is £500,000 if the EU imposes a potential fine up to £14,000,000 or so that could have a hugely catastrophic impact on any organisation that is not a vast multi-national
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    chestnut said:

Cameron must go.

To Brussels ? As our next Commissar ?
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,924
    rcs1000 said:

FPT:

rcs1000 said:

Wanderer said:

rcs1000 said:

Fellow Leavers.

^This

EU has been a low priority concern for most voters for most of the last 20 years. UKIP have done well recently out of conflating immigration problems with EU membership. I think if it does anything at all this referendum debate will kill off the notion that our immigration problems are over if we leave. I think the UKIP slide we are already seeing in by-elections will continue once that is nailed. There are real pros and cons of EU membership but UKIP thrives on superficially scapegoating the EU for everything.
  • Options

chestnut said:

Cameron must go.

On.
    and on...

ariston cameron.
    Aristo Cameron more likely
  • Options
    ITV reporting that Germany has said that in the event of Brexit the Norway or Iceland options would be the only ones on offer and would require contributions and accept free movement of labour. No doubt Germany will be accused of scaremongering but if that becomes the EU position leave will have a problem
  • Options

And then Norwich...

I saw the desperate use of the bench boost had been forced upon you.. but for Milner...
    Desperate measures for desperate times, I can't finish behind a Spurs fan.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Surely the issue is that the fines should be large enough to act as a deterrent to frms breaching our data protection . ########now if you were arguing that the act did not go far enough in deterring larger businesses and organisations I would probably agree with you .
    Surely the issue is that the fines and penalties should be imposed equally regardless of the size of the organisation. This measure does nothing of the kind and strongly favours multinationals over medium and smaller enterprises who would be less able to absorb them.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    I wish I'd got into this political betting milarky when I tipped The Donald to have a shot at POTUS 12 months ago and was widely ridiculed on here....
  • Options

chestnut said:

Cameron must go.

On.
    and on...

ariston cameron.
    Aristo Cameron more likely
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUVs7vXNZiw
  • Options

ITV reporting that Germany has said that in the event of Brexit the Norway or Iceland options would be the only ones on offer and would require contributions and accept free movement of labour. No doubt Germany will be accused of scaremongering but if that becomes the EU position leave will have a problem

I actually think psychological effects of perceived attempts at bullying would favour leave.

However it is ridiculous to claim they would offer an option to South Korea that isn't available to the UK.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Would be interested in your thoughts on the US, if you felt inspired to write a thread header on it.

I'm not confident I understand US electoral dynamics at all. I have a good grounding of the facts, but no feel.

On the face of it, I can't see why super-uncharismatic Mitt Romney, the ur-Jeb, would be able to change the course of the race. Clearly everyone else feels differently. Anyway, I've increased my exposure to Donald Trump considerably tonight but I'm horribly concerned I've done something stupid.
  • Options

I actually think psychological effects of perceived attempts at bullying would favour leave.

However it is ridiculous to claim they would offer an option to South Korea that isn't available to the UK.
    ITV are only quoting what Germany has stated today though their reporter did say it was significant
  • Options

Does the South Korean agreement bring it inside the single market for services?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I wish I'd got into this political betting milarky when I tipped The Donald to have a shot at POTUS 12 months ago and was widely ridiculed on here....

At least you never did a thread header saying Donald Trump will never be POTUS, and laughed at the odds of 150/1
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Is a breach ajudged to have happened at the parent or the subsidiary level? If the latter, it is highly likely the maximum fine is almost impossible to be imposed anyway.
    Highly likely but legally not impossible and most organisations will not be structured as a parent and subsidiary
  • Options
    On pensions reform, I do not expect a flat rate tax relief. It's just too easy for the losers to work out by how much they've been fleeced.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

At least you never did a thread header saying Donald Trump will never be POTUS, and laughed at the odds of 150/1
    You'll be heading for Roger "this silly banking thing will all be over by Monday" Darmus status is your not careful ;)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Even a few tens of millions of profit would still enable a large pharmaceutical distributor to absorb a potential fine rather better than a much smaller enterprise would be able to do. Presently the maximum fine under the DPA is £500,000 if the EU imposes a potential fine up to £14,000,000 or so that could have a hugely catastrophic impact on any organisation that is not a vast multi-national

My point was that not all $1bn turnover companies are created equally, and that turnover is a rubbish way to measure business size. So, a company that runs on a 3% net margin (like a distributor or a retailer) would be utterly f*cked by a fine of 4% of turnover, but a software company on a 35% margin would barely notice it.

It would be much more sensible to have fines linked to profitability.
  • Options
    Now there is an issue that makes me turn in to a EU outer head-banger form of rage.

Osborne needs to stop buggering about with pensions, it's ridiculous trying to do long term planning when the rules are continually being changed. 'A' day is a long time ago now.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited March 2016
    Sworn Trump enemy Senator Lindsey Graham is going soft on Trump:

http://dailycaller.com/2016/03/03/graham-brokered-convention-would-be-unfair-to-trump-audio/

• Options

Wanderer said:

I'm not confident I understand US electoral dynamics at all. I have a good grounding of the facts, but no feel.

On the face of it, I can't see why super-uncharismatic Mitt Romney, the ur-Jeb, would be able to change the course of the race. Clearly everyone else feels differently. Anyway, I've increased my exposure to Donald Trump considerably tonight but I'm horribly concerned I've done something stupid.
    I think you are being very smart. Romney may have influence with some high income swing voters but not Republican base or blue collar swing voters. All it will do is hurt Trump in the general.
  • Options

I would expect that at every EU meeting or Minister meeings the press will be quizing EU heads at every opportunity and if they agree with Germany's comments tonight it will be a serious blow to leave
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    A few eyebrows could be raised. Mirror low blow.

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/705517955401064448
  • Options

And then Norwich...

10 game weeks to go... tick tock as someone once said here a few times...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

No but I don't think single market in services even removed all trade barriers for member states. South Korea deal does however remove all tariffs on services and remove most non tariff barriers, albeit marginally less than for member state. Not much in it really.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    'ITV reporting that Germany has said that in the event of Brexit the Norway or Iceland options would be the only ones on offer and would require contributions and accept free movement of labour. No doubt Germany will be accused of scaremongering but if that becomes the EU position leave will have a problem'

Interesting - two things here, I think:

1. An attempt to support the PM's 'there is no alternative' agenda ie. Cameron will claim these options are no better than EU membership (which is a lie, but there we go)

2. Possibly staking out a fall-back position should the vote go for Brexit, which will keep the UK somewhere in the picture and still coughing up.

But we should also note at the same time that the Germans have for a while been making noises about Norway, Iceland etc. getting too good a deal and wanting to force them into a closer relationship with the EU. So they might see it as giving the fish a bit of slack before reeling it in again.

But I would agree with the earlier poster that this is an unconvincing stance given FTAs negotiated with Canada, Mexico, Korea etc.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Highly likely but legally not impossible and most organisations will not be structured as a parent and subsidiary
    It's more common than you'd think. My firm has about 35 employees, and we have about half a dozen corporate entities for one reason or another. Multinationals will almost certainly have many. (When I worked at Goldman Sachs, I was an employee of Goldman Sachs Services Ltd., and was seconded to another department. No, I don't know why.)

My guess is that - and this is to your point, even if the maximum fine was removed - then multinationals would have a data holding company that had minimal sales and was several arms lengths away from the actual profit centres of the business, so that in the event of a breach, their liability would be in the tens of thousands not the tens of millions.
  • Options

Now there is an issue that makes me turn in to a EU outer head-banger form of rage.

Osborne needs to stop buggering about with pensions, it's ridiculous trying to do long term planning when the rules are continually being changed. 'A' day is a long time ago now.
    Cameron plus Osborne are done.

It may not seem like that to people from the bubble, but how many times are people going to listen to more cuts, extended pension ages, 'vote in, or Dover gets it'?

Dead men waffling.
  • Options
    Kasich is an odd one, I think he'll win Ohio though - and if Rubio loses Florida he perhaps gets brokered convention points..
  • Options

On pensions reform, I do not expect a flat rate tax relief. It's just too easy for the losers to work out by how much they've been fleeced.

And the winners how much they gain - and their will be a lot more winners than losers
  • Options

And then Norwich...

My advice, put a lot on Arsenal to win on Saturday.

I did that during our title charge season, kept on backing our opponents, eventually it paid off.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

No but I don't think single market in services even removed all trade barriers for member states. South Korea deal does however remove all tariffs on services and remove most non tariff barriers, albeit marginally less than for member state. Not much in it really.
    My firm relies very heavily on the single financial passport to sell our services into the EU. A Norway option is great for us. If passporting is removed it would probably be a death knell to our business. (Or, at the very least, require us to open and man a subsidiary inside the EU.)
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,033

Why? Korea and the EU are largely but not entirely complementary apart from the heavy manufacturers in Germany; the UK outside the EU is a trade competitor which may not necessarily be allowed to have its cake and eat it
  • Options

it's ridiculous trying to do long term planning when the rules are continually being changed. 'A' day is a long time ago now.

Well that's the point isn't it? Governments don't want people to plan and to save and to be thrifty, etc. They want people to spend, spend, spend. Saving has been discouraged for years and years.

They just want people to spend and to pay their taxes - British people are chased, literally to the grave by HMRC but American supernational tax avoiders like Google and Amazon do whatever the hell they want.

We really need one heck of a shake up in this country,
  • Options

And the winners how much they gain - and their will be a lot more winners than losers
    Winners are NEVER grateful. Losers are often vengeful. And this time the losers on this occasion are core Conservative voters and, indeed, party members shortly due to select the next leader.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474

Smirking Osborne thinks that he can get away with anything whilst the bearded idiot is running Labour. He's in for a nasty but well deserved surprise come leadership election time.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

it's ridiculous trying to do long term planning when the rules are continually being changed. 'A' day is a long time ago now.

Well that's the point isn't it? Governments don't want people to plan and to save and to be thrifty, etc. They want people to spend, spend, spend. Saving has been discouraged for years and years.

They just want people to spend and to pay their taxes - British people are chased, literally to the grave by HMRC but American supernational tax avoiders like Google and Amazon do whatever the hell they want.

According to the great Melissa Kidd of Redburn, savings rates in the UK are at 50 year lows. (Her point, I think, is that we are using the Brexit discussion to avoid talking about the essential structural reforms we need to make.)
  • Options
    Trump on Romney "He was begging for my endorsement, I could have said 'Mitt get on your knees' he would have done so"
  • Options

Wanderer said:

Same here. I don't really "get" US politics the way a native would. I don't see how Trump is not value at current odds though, for all the reasons we keep rehearsing.

I feel some unease about it. The arithmetic says the GOP establishment does still have a window in which to stop Trump, just, if they can figure out how to do it. On the other hand they are not themselves united and using Mitt Romney as a spearhead can't be good.
  • Options

Winners are NEVER grateful. Losers are often vengeful. And this time the losers on this occasion are core Conservative voters and, indeed, party members shortly due to select the next leader.
    I don't see Osborne or Boris as Prime Minsters
  • Options
    PeterC said:

GIN1138 said:

Am I alone in thinking that Cameron's hysterical campaign will not go down well and that he could indeed be riding for a fall?
    No.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    chestnut said:

It may not seem like that to people from the bubble, but how many times are people going to listen to more cuts, extended pension ages, 'vote in, or Dover gets it'?

Dead men waffling.
    If Labour hadn't thrown themselves off the cliff with Corbyn and had someone even half decent I'd be Lab right now for no other reason than to get Cameron and Osborne out.
  • Options
    Off Topic

***** BETTING POST *****

Something for the weekend Sir?
    I've been taking a look at the state of the Premier League's Manager "Sack Race" market.
    Favourite to win the current round is Utd's LVG with best decimal odds of 4.33. After leading his side to four consecutive wins, his early departure appears decidedly unlikely.
    Next in line comes Villa's Remi Garde who only seems to have been at the club 5 minutes, on offer at 4.5. He is followed by Norwich's Alex Neil priced at 8.0.
    Surprisingly generously priced, in my view anyway, is fourth-placed Toon's boss Boss Steve McClaren who both Hills and Betfair Sportsbook have available at 9 (i.e. 8/1).
    On Saturday, Newcastle are at home against Bournemouth who are also struggling somewhat, but nevertheless are on offer at fairly skinny best odds of only 2.88 to win this game.
    I wonder whether McClaren could possibly survive a defeat by the Cherries?
    Of course, one is second-guessing how the Chairmen of several football clubs might react to their various problems, but it seems to me that that the 2.88 price against Bournemouth winning is very different when compared with the 9.0 odds against Steve being given his early marching orders.
    This falls decidedly into the "fun" category of betting and stakes should certainly be limited to a maximum of just a few quid.
    DYOR.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,019

For all that I would be very happy with the Norway or Iceland option, this really is so much bollocks.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Why? Korea and the EU are largely but not entirely complementary apart from the heavy manufacturers in Germany; the UK outside the EU is a trade competitor which may not necessarily be allowed to have its cake and eat it
    Germany and South Korea are far more similar economies than UK and Germany. Benefit from free trade between EU and UK are worth far more than freedom of movement is to Western Europe. Benefit from good relations and stronger security guarantee is worth far more than freedom of movement is to Eastern Europe.
  • Options

Off Topic

***** BETTING POST *****

Something for the weekend Sir?
    I've been taking a look at the state of the Premier League's Manager "Sack Race" market.
    Favourite to win the current round is Utd's LVG with best decimal odds of 4.33. After leading his side to four consecutive wins, his early departure appears decidedly unlikely.
    Next in line comes Villa's Remi Garde who only seems to have been at the club 5 minutes, on offer at 4.5. He is followed by Norwich's Alex Neil priced at 8.0.
    Surprisingly generously priced, in my view anyway, is fourth-placed Toon's boss Boss Steve McClaren who both Hills and Betfair Sportsbook have available at 9 (i.e. 8/1).
    On Saturday, Newcastle are at home against Bournemouth who are also struggling somewhat, but nevertheless are on offer at fairly skinny best odds of only 2.88 to win this game.
    I wonder whether McClaren could possibly survive a defeat by the Cherries?
    Of course, one is second-guessing how the Chairmen of several football clubs might react to their various problems, but it seems to me that that the 2.88 price against Bournemouth winning is very different when compared with the 9.0 odds against Steve being given his early marching orders.
    This falls decidedly into the "fun" category of betting and stakes should certainly be limited to a maximum of just a few quid.
    DYOR.

Back with Paddy Power.

They often pay out early on markets like this.
  • Options

For all that I would be very happy with the Norway or Iceland option, this really is so much bollocks.
    Why when it is coming from Germany
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Sworn Trump enemy Senator Lindsey Graham is going soft on Trump:

http://dailycaller.com/2016/03/03/graham-brokered-convention-would-be-unfair-to-trump-audio/

Good God. He was entertainingly putting the boot in just a couple of days ago.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Cllr Jill Furniss selected by Labour for Sheffield Brightside & Hillsborough by-election.

She's the widow of the deceased MP. She stood in Hallam in 2001. She's a Cllr in Sheffield since 1999.
  • Options

Everything is open for negotiation post invocation of Article 50. Which is both a good thing... and a bad thing...
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Mr Tyndall, what is the Norway or Iceland option in brief? - TIA.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

And then Norwich...

My advice, put a lot on Arsenal to win on Saturday.

I did that during our title charge season, kept on backing our opponents, eventually it paid off.
    Consider what the best outcome for Leicester is, and bet on it.

Would have made a fortune on Wednesday doing that!
  • Options
    Just been told, Gillian Furniss has been selected as the Labour candidate for Sheffield Brightside and Hillsborough by election.

Decent local councillor
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Saqib Bhatti: EU’s too small for a proud and free Britain

Saqib Bhatti is joint secretary-general of Muslims for Britain.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/opinion/saqib-bhatti-eu-s-too-small-for-a-proud-and-free-britain-1-7767146
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    For footballing betting this weekend Romelu Lukaku, if fit, has scored in seven consecutive games v West Ham.

West Ham may well have to play a 17 year old at centre back due to injuries. Lukaku is still available at better than evens. Teamsheets available at 2PM.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

My point was that not all $1bn turnover companies are created equally, and that turnover is a rubbish way to measure business size. So, a company that runs on a 3% net margin (like a distributor or a retailer) would be utterly f*cked by a fine of 4% of turnover, but a software company on a 35% margin would barely notice it.

It would be much more sensible to have fines linked to profitability.
    I would agree profitability would be the best measure of all but the worst measure of all is the EU's potential imposition of a blanket fine potentially totalling millions which will have a hugely disproportionate impact on smaller businesses
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    GIN1138 said:

The Brits have historically been poor savers. The Germans were once described as having the most interest in reading their bank records. And look at the Japanese, even when interest rates are very low they still save a high percentage of their incomes.

• Options

Mr Tyndall, what is the Norway or Iceland option in brief? - TIA.
    EFTA/EEA
  • Options

Why don't they also insist on free blow jobs for all EU visitors and the right to enslave all our first born. FFS, they have lost two wars against us do they not know what we are like when ANGRY!
  • Options
    edited March 2016

Actually I'm quite grateful to George for the NPV of future IHT; personal allowance being raised and the fact he stopped the fuel escalator.

He should have sold off Lloyds though, grr !
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

My firm relies very heavily on the single financial passport to sell our services into the EU. A Norway option is great for us. If passporting is removed it would probably be a death knell to our business. (Or, at the very least, require us to open and man a subsidiary inside the EU.)
    I imagine you would be one of small handful of losers there and would be dwarfed by all the extra business that could be done by free trade deals elsewhere and better regulation (especially if Eurozone gets trigger happy on single rulebook). And as you say you can always make a subsidiary for that bit of your business.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Attractive little village is Whissendine. No idea how they vote, but should be core Kipper/Tory area. Halfway between Oakham and Melton Mowbray, which has a large and well integrated Polish community.
  • Options

Why don't they also insist on free blow jobs for all EU visitors and the right to enslave all our first born. FFS, they have lost two wars against us do they not know what we are like when ANGRY!
    As a second-born I see merit in that proposal.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Dead men waffling.
    What cuts? Osborne's been on a spend-a-thon.

Smirkers problem now is that the public won't accept any real cuts, so he's going to have to steal from pensions or shove up taxes.
  • Options

They're allowed their view, and we're allowed our view.

At the end of the day, post the invocation of Article 50, everything is open for negotiation.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,019

Why when it is coming from Germany
    Because if they won't negotiate under the Article 50 terms then the UK leaves anyway before the two years is up and negotiates a trade deal from outside - which will be decided by QMV where Germany has no veto.

Personally I want the Norway option. But Germany claiming that is the only deal on the table is simply rubbish as they do not know until the negotiations actually take place if they have the support amongst the rest of the EU to push that through.

It is yet another case of scare mongering hoping to influence those who don't know any better..
This discussion has been closed.