Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Super Tuesday – the night goes on

13»

Comments

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Speedy said:

Pulpstar said:

Ted Cruz is a decent man, could imagine going shooting with him tbh.

You are probably the only person on the planet with that opinion.
    He didn't identify the target...
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    There are some parallels between Donald Trump and Theodore Roosevelt. Not part of the Republican establishment, aggressive, a showman, working relentlessly with the media, campaigning for the little guy against big business.
  • Options

Why would any state schedule its primary for May/June in full knowledge that its vote will likely be irrelevant? Why not have ALL states (other than the traditional early ones) have their primary on Super Tuesday?

The US presidential election is an abomination to democracy, from non-secret caucus votes to large parts of the country having effectively no say in the choices of the parties, to the anachronism of the electoral college and so on.

There are at least two good arguments against one single national primary. Firstly, they would tend to be dominated by money and/or name recognition - though Trump and Sanders both suggest this isn't quite as strong a tendency as might previously have been thought. Secondly, there'd be a large number of primary races either won on a very small share of the vote (say sub-25%), or in a brokered election, depending on the mechanics of the race.

I quite like the multi-round system which tests candidates in lots of different ways and in different parts of the country. Caucuses, however, serve no good purpose and should be done away with and a decent system would rotate the states in the calendar so as not to give much more weight to Iowa and NH than California (for example).
    You are however talking as if this were a unified political system where there can be one electoral plan imposed from the centre. This is a federal system with each state deciding itself when and how it should choose it's delegates. Anyone who sought to tread on States' toes would, I think, find themselves in a world of pain.
    Sure, I recognise the practical difficulties. That said, the EU states manage to hold a single election for the European parliament with just two polling days and with no count beginning before the polls have closed on the second day, so agreement must be possible if the will was there.

What surprises me is that there isn't more pressure from inside the system; that voters are happy to go along with caucuses when other states have primaries, that late states are happy for their votes not to count in effect - and so on.

I've always thought that the privilege that Iowa and New Hampshire have is probably unconstitutional under equal protection of the laws yet no-one seems bothered by it. Their call, I guess.
    Agreement is always possible if the will is there - whether in constitutional arrangements, IR disputes or marital problems.

I suspect the EU has, effectively, no traditions in its political arrangements whereas US citizens are taught to fetishize their constitution from a very early age.

• Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,342

Why would any state schedule its primary for May/June in full knowledge that its vote will likely be irrelevant? Why not have ALL states (other than the traditional early ones) have their primary on Super Tuesday?

The US presidential election is an abomination to democracy, from non-secret caucus votes to large parts of the country having effectively no say in the choices of the parties, to the anachronism of the electoral college and so on.

There are at least two good arguments against one single national primary. Firstly, they would tend to be dominated by money and/or name recognition - though Trump and Sanders both suggest this isn't quite as strong a tendency as might previously have been thought. Secondly, there'd be a large number of primary races either won on a very small share of the vote (say sub-25%), or in a brokered election, depending on the mechanics of the race.

I quite like the multi-round system which tests candidates in lots of different ways and in different parts of the country. Caucuses, however, serve no good purpose and should be done away with and a decent system would rotate the states in the calendar so as not to give much more weight to Iowa and NH than California (for example).
    You are however talking as if this were a unified political system where there can be one electoral plan imposed from the centre. This is a federal system with each state deciding itself when and how it should choose it's delegates. Anyone who sought to tread on States' toes would, I think, find themselves in a world of pain.
    Sure, I recognise the practical difficulties. That said, the EU states manage to hold a single election for the European parliament with just two polling days and with no count beginning before the polls have closed on the second day, so agreement must be possible if the will was there.

What surprises me is that there isn't more pressure from inside the system; that voters are happy to go along with caucuses when other states have primaries, that late states are happy for their votes not to count in effect - and so on.

I've always thought that the privilege that Iowa and New Hampshire have is probably unconstitutional under equal protection of the laws yet no-one seems bothered by it. Their call, I guess.
    Primaries are presumably rather expensive for the state/party involved to run as well; another reason why you'd think they'd want them to be as early as possible to be more meaningful.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,935
    watford30 said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

The idea of Boris becoming Tory leader before the next election is terrifying. The only shaft of light is that it's likely to galvanize non Tories to get behind whoever is the opposition leader most likely to beat him even if that person turns out to be Corbyn.

The idea of Boris becoming London Mayor before the next election is terrifying. The only shaft of light is that it's likely to galvanize non Tories to get behind whoever is the opposition leader most likely to beat him .....
    I think I would draw a distinction between choosing the desirability of a bendy bus and being PM
    Johnson is probably more qualified than Cameron was when he became party leader and ultimately PM. I suspect that you were one of the many lambasting the latter politician's qualifications for office, citing his only experience as being the bag carrier for Norman Lamont on Black Wednesday.

I don't care much for Boris, but when the alternative is the smirking Osborne, it's not a tricky choice as to which one to vote for.
    Yep! But I can think several candidates who aren't Boris or George. In fact though it pains me to say it the Tories are quite blessed with potential leaders at the moment
  • Options
    NorfolkTilIDieNorfolkTilIDie Posts: 1,268

DavidL said:

Well my Trump bet on Texas did not come through. Overall, he has not done as well as expected but he has still probably done well enough.

Rubio's last chance is his own Florida but he is so far underwater. He really should give up.

Hillary will also be slightly disappointed albeit she has again probably done enough. On the popular vote she has clocked up some massive wins in the south which justifies the super delegates backing her. She is already more than half way there but Sanders is showing her weaknesses with the young, the less affluent and the more radical parts of the Democratic party.

Trump gets Democrats to turn out for Hillary though, doesn't he? I imagine that if Trump is the Republican candidate Bernie will give Hillary a very clear endorsement.

Sanders has already said Clinton would make a great president and would be a hundred times better than any Republican.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Sandpit said:

Pong said:

A brokered convention inches closer.

It will inch away again once the WTA states kick in. Had tonight been WTA rather than pseudo-proportional, Trump would have fairly comfortably outscored Cruz and Rubio, even with Cruz's Texas.

There are three phases with three roles to the primary campaign.

1. The early states. Their purpose is to clear the field of dead wood and produce a slate of credible candidates with a running order.
    2. Super Tuesday and the non-WTA states: their job is to produce a clear leader in the field.
    3. WTA states: their job is to push the leader over the line (or, if no clear leader has emerged, to produce one quickly and then push them over the line).

Trump's lead across so many demographics of Republican voters should be sufficient to give him a large majority of state wins and hence an overwhelming majority of delegates. He doesn't need to say anything else outrageous now, he can (and will) coast on a campaign which is still working pretty well for him, albeit one that didn't deliver a knock-out blow tonight as a best-case scenario would have.
    He can afford to dismiss his fellow candidates and aim all his fire at Clinton. Which should prove popular with his party. And it is quite clear Hillary will do the same. The race for November starts here, although it has been a rather-less-than-Super Tuesday.
    Agree with that analysis. Trump was talking about tax cuts for middle America tonight, his first sign of tracking toward the centre.

He will probably hold the big guns off Hillary for a couple of weeks, until he knows he'll be over the line, then she will have the proverbial forces of Hell rain down upon her. It's not going to be a very nice campaign, that is for sure.
    Trump should now start getting a flood of backers.

Out of curiosity, do we know how much Trump spent for Super Tuesday? Did he do it on the cheap again, or has he started flashing the serious cash?
    I don't know, but my understanding is that it's media buy that makes US elections so expensive.

With the acres of free coverage he's getting does Trump really need that?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,028

What this shows is that the immediate reduction in the field to two candidates would have shafted Trump, even Kasich alone would have taken the shine off. Unfortunately nobody ever drops our when they enough votes to matter.

Good result for Trump, keeps everyone in :D
  • Options
    You can get odds of 7/2 on West Ham winning tonight - unbeaten in the PL at home since August and having the chance to stop Spurs going top of the PL in their last home derby against us...

Payet playing this time and our 3rd game since Thursday.

I don't get those odds.
  • Options
    NorfolkTilIDieNorfolkTilIDie Posts: 1,268

There are some parallels between Donald Trump and Theodore Roosevelt. Not part of the Republican establishment, aggressive, a showman, working relentlessly with the media, campaigning for the little guy against big business.

Thats like comparing Eddie the Eagle to Pele. Both sportsmen, but somewhat a gap in ability.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,154

runnymede said:

Project Fear goes international - Cameron & Co. want to try to vet foreign leaders' speeches as well. Laughable.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3471653/Downing-Street-demands-vet-speeches-planned-WORLD-LEADERS-make-sure-don-t-damage-David-Cameron-s-bid-Britain-EU.html

Which of the ten plagues and four horsemen will Cameron regale us with today ?
    George Osborne
    I thought he was busy marching with the makers towards the trillion pound export target.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Does any US TV station like Trump? I usually watch CBS and they've yet to find anyone who likes him, but pretty neutral.

Fox are so grumpy and the others really don't like him.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,190

runnymede said:

Project Fear goes international - Cameron & Co. want to try to vet foreign leaders' speeches as well. Laughable.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3471653/Downing-Street-demands-vet-speeches-planned-WORLD-LEADERS-make-sure-don-t-damage-David-Cameron-s-bid-Britain-EU.html

If he wanted world leaders not to scupper the Referendum, the time to do it would have been vetting Angela Merkel's "come on in, everybody" speech last year...
    All that famous 'influence' we're told the UK has in the EU didn't seem able to stop Merkel's madness did it.
    It didn't - and it continues to have none. Merkel remains defiant that "there is no Plan B..." Her position on this embodies the democracy deficit of the EU. The German leader says she will unilaterally open the EU's borders. The EU's democratically elected Governments cannot prevent her.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

runnymede said:

George Osborne
    Apart from George Osborne, I think today's plague is rising food prices.
  • Options
    57% of GOP voters feel betrayed by their Party according to CBS poll.

Ouch.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

Number Cruncher
    YouGov/Times (#EUref, Conservative members):

REMAIN 31
    LEAVE 59

N=1,005
    Writeup from @SamCoatesTimes https://t.co/Zvkl1euy85
    #EUreferendum

If the Tories go 2:1 for out then Leave will win.

2:1 is very similar to the ratio for Labour voters in many polls, except they are for Remain.

UKIP cancel out the various left of centre groups.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771

runnymede said:

George Osborne
    I thought he was busy marching with the makers towards the trillion pound export target.
    No he's the horseman of the neverending deficit and work until you drop.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087

runnymede said:

If he wanted world leaders not to scupper the Referendum, the time to do it would have been vetting Angela Merkel's "come on in, everybody" speech last year...
    All that famous 'influence' we're told the UK has in the EU didn't seem able to stop Merkel's madness did it.
    It didn't - and it continues to have none. Merkel remains defiant that "there is no Plan B..." Her position on this embodies the democracy deficit of the EU. The German leader says she will unilaterally open the EU's borders. The EU's democratically elected Governments cannot prevent her.
    Surely not, why she was complaining about other leaders acting unilaterally just the other day and would definitely not be so hypocritical.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771
    Sean_F said:

runnymede said:

George Osborne
    Apart from George Osborne, I think today's plague is rising food prices.
    LOL I thought that was meant to be a good thing - you know no deflation. :-)

I can never tell these days from the Treasury what's good and what's bad, it's almost as if they make it up.
  • Options
    Someone mentioned that Trump's got 43x the media coverage... Compared to all other Republican candidates.

Rubio is an appalling bitter dickhead right now, he's needs shutting in a cupboard.
    Charles said:

Sandpit said:

Pong said:

A brokered convention inches closer.

It will inch away again once the WTA states kick in. Had tonight been WTA rather than pseudo-proportional, Trump would have fairly comfortably outscored Cruz and Rubio, even with Cruz's Texas.

There are three phases with three roles to the primary campaign.

1. The early states. Their purpose is to clear the field of dead wood and produce a slate of credible candidates with a running order.
    2. Super Tuesday and the non-WTA states: their job is to produce a clear leader in the field.
    3. WTA states: their job is to push the leader over the line (or, if no clear leader has emerged, to produce one quickly and then push them over the line).

Trump's lead across so many demographics of Republican voters should be sufficient to give him a large majority of state wins and hence an overwhelming majority of delegates. He doesn't need to say anything else outrageous now, he can (and will) coast on a campaign which is still working pretty well for him, albeit one that didn't deliver a knock-out blow tonight as a best-case scenario would have.
    He can afford to dismiss his fellow candidates and aim all his fire at Clinton. Which should prove popular with his party. And it is quite clear Hillary will do the same. The race for November starts here, although it has been a rather-less-than-Super Tuesday.
    Agree with that analysis. Trump was talking about tax cuts for middle America tonight, his first sign of tracking toward the centre.

He will probably hold the big guns off Hillary for a couple of weeks, until he knows he'll be over the line, then she will have the proverbial forces of Hell rain down upon her. It's not going to be a very nice campaign, that is for sure.
    Trump should now start getting a flood of backers.

Out of curiosity, do we know how much Trump spent for Super Tuesday? Did he do it on the cheap again, or has he started flashing the serious cash?
    I don't know, but my understanding is that it's media buy that makes US elections so expensive.

With the acres of free coverage he's getting does Trump really need that?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,935
    chestnut said:

Number Cruncher

REMAIN 31
    LEAVE 59

N=1,005
    #EUreferendum

2:1 is very similar to the ratio for Labour voters in many polls, except they are for Remain.

Another amazing nonsense from Chestnut's backside! For whose benefit do you keep pulling these batty non sequiturs?
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    tlg86 said:

Pong said:

You think Cruz's chance of becoming potus is less than 0.7%? I think that's a brave prediction. If the GOP/POTUS race between now and November were simulated 150 times, one of those times Cruz would walk into the white house. That's all I'm saying. Do you think it would take many more simulations? Is trump now *that* certain? Is Hillary *that* bulletproof?

So I don't want to make a judgment on whether Cruz has a chance or not, but I don't agree with this analysis. Elections are not like football games. If I back Laurent Koscielny for last goal scorer tonight at 25-1 I know that he should probably be something like a 50-1 shot. That is, roughly he'll score the last goal once if the game was rerun 50 times.

With elections, I think the result will be the result however many times you run it. When Mike puts up implied chance of something happening I don't think you can interpret it as "something like 30 times out of a hundred something will happen." Yes, there are unknowns and perhaps the FBI will move on Hillary or the GOP will stitch up Trump. But I don't think these variables can be treated like football matches.
    An election is a much more complex event than a football match, though, with many more moving parts. We make it look simpler by reducing it to percentages because it's the only way to grasp it.

I think what you say is only true on strict determinism?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,214
    chestnut said:

Number Cruncher

REMAIN 31
    LEAVE 59

N=1,005
    #EUreferendum

That is for Tory members not voters, voters will be closer
  • Options
    Anyone want to comment on veracity of this?

Stronger In
    The alternatives to EU membership proposed by Leave Campaigners would all hit UK businesses and families #StrongerIN https://t.co/u8sJ1VLhCY
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,028
    Good morning, everyone.

So, Super Tuesday seems pretty much as expected, yes?

Miss Plato, do you happen to have that dog chap link to hand? Only a small thing, but the hound's being a bit ratty when it comes to having her paws wiped after a rainy walk, and I'd prefer to get her away from that.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,190
    new thread, if anybody is interested....
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    Roger said:

watford30 said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

The idea of Boris becoming Tory leader before the next election is terrifying. The only shaft of light is that it's likely to galvanize non Tories to get behind whoever is the opposition leader most likely to beat him even if that person turns out to be Corbyn.

The idea of Boris becoming London Mayor before the next election is terrifying. The only shaft of light is that it's likely to galvanize non Tories to get behind whoever is the opposition leader most likely to beat him .....
    I think I would draw a distinction between choosing the desirability of a bendy bus and being PM
    Johnson is probably more qualified than Cameron was when he became party leader and ultimately PM. I suspect that you were one of the many lambasting the latter politician's qualifications for office, citing his only experience as being the bag carrier for Norman Lamont on Black Wednesday.

I don't care much for Boris, but when the alternative is the smirking Osborne, it's not a tricky choice as to which one to vote for.
    Yep! But I can think several candidates who aren't Boris or George. In fact though it pains me to say it the Tories are quite blessed with potential leaders at the moment
    I think that's true though, as in the past, the best candidate(s) may be disqualified because of their views on the EU.
  • Options
    Cesar Millanhttps://www.cesarsway.com/

Good morning, everyone.

So, Super Tuesday seems pretty much as expected, yes?

Miss Plato, do you happen to have that dog chap link to hand? Only a small thing, but the hound's being a bit ratty when it comes to having her paws wiped after a rainy walk, and I'd prefer to get her away from that.

• Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,464

Primaries and Caucuses in an idiosyncratic order of States is indeed odd, but it does sort out the wheat from the chaff and generally produces a couple of good candidates. Trump, Cruz and Rubio are not to my taste, but I don't think that I am their target audience.

When you compare it with the system of how we come up with party leaders (Jezza, Farage, Ed Miliband, IDS, Brown, etc) it is not as daft as it seems.
    Though not one of those leaders that you just mentioned ever became PM at an election*.

We like the Americans have a two-phase process to vet our potential leaders, first to become party leader and then to become the countries leader. So compare losers like IDS to losers like Dukakis. While if you put Farage in the list then compare to all the third party candidates America has had.

* Yes Brown became PM mid-term but some pretty shocking VP's have existed who could have done the same, even more have reached the general election like Sarah Palin.
    Some pretty poor VPs *did* become president, none more so than Andrew Johnson.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,028
    Miss Plato, cheers. Nothing specific, but some general advice. As I say, it's not too serious but I'd rather nip it in the bud. In most other ways, she's improving.
  • Options

That is true, although we shouldn't underestimate the differences too. Roosevelt was a career politician through and through, albeit one who only used party machines as and when it suited him. Trump, by contrast, has never been involved in elected or appointed politics in his life before now. A lesser distinction is that whereas Roosevelt was the youngest ever president, Trump, if elected, would be the oldest ever at first inauguration.
  • Options

Agreement is always possible if the will is there - whether in constitutional arrangements, IR disputes or marital problems.

I suspect the EU has, effectively, no traditions in its political arrangements whereas US citizens are taught to fetishize their constitution from a very early age.

Certainly the constitution and flag are fetishized but the primary/caucus process is of recent vintage: a nationwide primaries calendar has only existed since the 1970s, for example. It also changes in some way each time so there ought to be some scope to settle on a better process but as I think we agree, the will isn't really there given the fuss that would be kicked up by those with a vested interest in how it stands now.
  • Options

runnymede said:

That could be said to apply equally to France's influence, or indeed any other country.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    Anyone want to comment on veracity of this?

Sure - it's a lie
This discussion has been closed.