Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » 2016 Oscar betting: Roger marks your card

124»

Comments

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Sean_F said:

Poor Boris, getting kicked by his own side, again.

Boris Johnson came under savage attack today from his own Tory deputy mayor in charge of policing, who warned he will endanger London if he succeeds in his campaign for Britain to leave the EU.

Stephen Greenhalgh, who oversees the Met, hit out at politicians who “think that sovereignty is more important than public safety”. He also suggested a “Brexit” would make Britain more vulnerable to a Paris-style terror attack.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/mayor-s-own-police-chief-warns-him-quitting-eu-will-place-capital-in-peril-a3189926.html

And this Stephen Greenhalgh currently has a role in the public safety of our capital?

*shakes head in wonder*
    I'd have thought that sovereignty enhances public safety. At any rate, I don't see it as an either/or choice between sovereignty and public safety.
    Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.

Franklin was a great man
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, in the 13th or 14th century there was a woman who was Countess of Champagne and Brie.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

Here's what has happened. Tory private polling has shown the country won't elect Corbyn as PM as he is seen as a risk to national security.

Remain think the same applies to the EURef, people won't vote for Leave if it is seen as a threat to national security.

Who is daft enough to believe it though where the EURef is concerned?

Paris style shootings happened in Paris in the EU. It's a particularly daft argument.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,171

Regarding the negotiations with the EC after/if we have a LEAVE vote.

Qn So Mr EC, you want full access to our fish and to sell us all the german cars, french produce etc etc and allow our people to spend billions around the Med on holiday in your countries?
    Ans:Yes
    Qn So for these privileges you want us to also pay you £11billion a year and allow anyone of the 450m EC citizens the right to come into our country and compete for every job the same as a UK citizen and that you will dictate how we make and build every product and service we produce and to carry on creating half our laws for us?
    Ans Yes
    Anyone spot the problem?

Yup. What about all the Brits who’ve gone to live and very often work or study in other member countries. Too many leavers seem to assume that migtration in the EU is one way traffic.
    Most of those are retirements within the EC. If Spain does not want wealthy self funding retirees anymore it could change its mind but it welcomes retirees and holiday home purchasers from outside the EC such as Russians.
    "Most" in Spain probably, but not necessarily./ Nor by any means elsewhere. Agree about the Russians, though. Couple of years ago I was offered a brochure for homes on Majorca in Spanish, Russian and Germsn.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Sean_F said:

... in the event of EU chaos being inside and having a big influence on outcomes may well be better than being on the outside with no control and with an EU that really would not be interested in accommodating the UK

I am struggling with this idea that the UK has a big influence on what the EU decides to do. When has it ever happened before? Someone posted on here a while back figures that showed the UK was the most frequently out-voted country in the EU. We seem to have had remarkably little influence over the years and once the EuroZone countries start voting as a block we will have even less.

The point I was making is that the EU in civil war with each other is an opportunity to have an influence if we are in. How long can even the Eurozone survive if they are at war with each other. A very different EU is likely to evolve over the next few years with possibly Merkel and Hollande gone next year.
    One of the reasons why I would have liked to see the Referendum delayed is to see what indeed takes place, after the French and Dutch elections.
    It would have been sensible but no doubt David Cameron wanted to resolve the issue quickly in the economic interest of the Country and no doubt to provide him with a handover of power earlier if he wanted. As a matter of interest can someone confirm to me that by being out we will not come under the European Courts of Human Rights
    Depends how far out. It's a separate concern, but some (UKIP have it in their manifesto) propose to withdraw from the ECHR at the same time, precisely because its the only way we can expel terrorist sympathisers and fellow travellers with UK dependents or relatives. As it is we have to spend a LOT of money and resources monitoring known bad eggs because we can't throw them out.
    Is the leave answer to this going to be ambiguous. It really will be important for leave to sing from the same hymn sheet when the campaign starts proper. As far as I see it if the ECHR is part of our legal system when we are out how do we have sovereigity over our laws
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,024

Sean_F said:

... in the event of EU chaos being inside and having a big influence on outcomes may well be better than being on the outside with no control and with an EU that really would not be interested in accommodating the UK

I am struggling with this idea that the UK has a big influence on what the EU decides to do. When has it ever happened before? Someone posted on here a while back figures that showed the UK was the most frequently out-voted country in the EU. We seem to have had remarkably little influence over the years and once the EuroZone countries start voting as a block we will have even less.

The point I was making is that the EU in civil war with each other is an opportunity to have an influence if we are in. How long can even the Eurozone survive if they are at war with each other. A very different EU is likely to evolve over the next few years with possibly Merkel and Hollande gone next year.
    One of the reasons why I would have liked to see the Referendum delayed is to see what indeed takes place, after the French and Dutch elections.
    It would have been sensible but no doubt David Cameron wanted to resolve the issue quickly in the economic interest of the Country and no doubt to provide him with a handover of power earlier if he wanted. As a matter of interest can someone confirm to me that by being out we will not come under the European Courts of Human Rights
    I don't yet know what the government's plans are in relation to the ECHR.

Any EU member has to be a signatory to the European Convention on Human Rights, although there's some argument as to whether they have to submit to the jurisdiction of the European Court of Human Rights.
  • Options

New Thread New Thread.

• Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Nothing beats Canaan Banana.
    Pulpstar said:

Sheikh Salman bin Ebrahim al-Khalifa,
    Gianni Infantino,
    Prince Ali bin al-Hussein,
    Tokyo Sexwale
    and Jerome Champagne

Best names ever

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,233

Here's what has happened. Tory private polling has shown the country won't elect Corbyn as PM as he is seen as a risk to national security.

Remain think the same applies to the EURef, people won't vote for Leave if it is seen as a threat to national security.

Better hope we don't get a terrorist attack, then.
This discussion has been closed.