Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : February 25th 2016

13»

Comments

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited February 2016
    viewcode said:

RodCrosby said:

viewcode said:

RodCrosby said:

viewcode said:

@RodCrosby
    @Charles

Thank you for the link to the Mail article of the Norpoth projection. In 2015UKGE there was an entire fleet of modelers predicting the outcome, but I am not aware of any modelers predicting 2016POTUS, except possibly for Silver. Are you aware of any modelers predicting 2016POTUS and if so, who are they?

There's the "13 Keys" model, and

Abramowitz's "Time for change" model

Others will take as their inputs the polls in June.
    Useful as ever, Rod. Thank you very much.
    Frankly, the "Keys" are too subjective, and liable to ex post facto rationalization. FWIW, they narrowly favour Clinton, maybe...

Abramowitz has faffed around with his model so much, I'm not such what it's supposed to show any more. Narrowly favours Trump, I believe...
    I think you know more about this than I do, but if you recalibrate your model every time a new result comes in, eventually that makes it worse, not better: sacrificing an crude view of the future for a precise view of the past. This is one reason why I think PB should abandon predicting vote share and size of lead and stick to just predicting which one will win.
    Maybe. As long as you recognize your model is degrading over time, your Monte Carlos will just cover a wider and wider range of results.

If its prediction is significantly better than a coin-toss, it may still be worthwhile...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,226
    AndyJS said:

Tim_B said:

AndyJS said:

Tim_B said:

AndyJS said:

The way to stop Trump is for the elite / establishment to ignore him for five minutes. Every time they express how horrified they are by him his ratings go up.

The way to stop Trump is for either Cruz or Rubio to withdraw, otherwise they are splitting the anti-Trump vote. Right now they are racking up a few delegates as they are awarded proportionally, but as of 3/15 all primaries are winner take all and Trump will win in a walk.
    Do you think one of them will drop out after next Tuesday?
    If Cruz doesn't win Texas, he may well. If Rubio doesn't win Florida, he may well. After Super Tuesday (last time I looked Trump was leading in 12 states, but that may have changed in the last few days) it might be too late to stop Trump.

I'm struggling between Trump and Rubio. My concern about Trump is his temperament. But neither of them could be as bad as what we have now.
    From a GOP point of view, Cruz should drop out before Rubio because there's no way Cruz can compete on the west coast and north-east where about 50% of US voters live.
    If Cruz wins Texas and Rubio loses Florida, as seems likely, Rubio will of course drop out before Cruz. The latest California poll from January actually has Cruz leading Trump 25% to 23% with Rubio on 13%
    http://www.field.com/fieldpollonline/subscribers/Rls2521.pdf
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,167
    RodCrosby said:

viewcode said:

RodCrosby said:

viewcode said:

RodCrosby said:

viewcode said:

@RodCrosby
    @Charles

Thank you for the link to the Mail article of the Norpoth projection. In 2015UKGE there was an entire fleet of modelers predicting the outcome, but I am not aware of any modelers predicting 2016POTUS, except possibly for Silver. Are you aware of any modelers predicting 2016POTUS and if so, who are they?

There's the "13 Keys" model, and

Abramowitz's "Time for change" model

Others will take as their inputs the polls in June.
    Useful as ever, Rod. Thank you very much.
    Frankly, the "Keys" are too subjective, and liable to ex post facto rationalization. FWIW, they narrowly favour Clinton, maybe...

Abramowitz has faffed around with his model so much, I'm not such what it's supposed to show any more. Narrowly favours Trump, I believe...
    I think you know more about this than I do, but if you recalibrate your model every time a new result comes in, eventually that makes it worse, not better: sacrificing an crude view of the future for a precise view of the past. This is one reason why I think PB should abandon predicting vote share and size of lead and stick to just predicting which one will win.
    Maybe. As long as you recognize your model is degrading over time, your Monte Carlos will just cover a wider and wider range of results.

If its prediction is significantly better than a coin-toss, it may still be worthwhile...
    Here's another one:

https://www.economy.com/dismal/topics/election-model
  • Options

Stratford Studley LD gain from Con , Labour move to 2nd

LD 632 Lab 256 Con 233 Ind 66 UKIP 55

Dudley St James Lab hold figures to come

It seems the con vote has gone down since camerons EU deal,it looks like the people can smell bullsh!t.
    Yes by spurning the kippers and flocking to the LDs. Trebles alround!
    Flocking to the lib dems - lol up 4 votes
    Greater than 50% vote share and 12 times the kipper vote. That will do!

LibDems - spinning here! :)
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,618
    edited February 2016
    AndyJS said:

O/T:

Bucks Fizz on Top of the Pops 1981:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbcfour

UK number one 30 years ago this week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-n3sUWR4FV4
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    AndyJS said:

Interesting comment on here:

"Last election in Poole rounded to nearest thousand
    Conservatives 24,000
    UKIP 8,000
    Labour 6,000

QT audience seemngly not reflecting this."

http://biasedbbc.org/blog/2016/02/25/question-time-live-chat-33/

It's not supposed to. They attempt to get equal numbers from the major parties (and some from the others), not to get a representative sample of wherever it happens to be held.

It's a mistake often made here, when people say "Wow, all those Tories in Liverpool" or "cor, that's a big Labour contingent in Sussex".
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    AndyJS said:

Reuters:

"EU has 10 days to see progress on migrant crisis or Schengen unravels: EU commissioner"

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-europe-migrants-avramopoulos-idUSKCN0VY22T

The EU has all kinds of problems, but it's the world leader in fudge, compromise and can-kicking. This kind of prediction has been made about various issues about a hojillion times. It's right up there with '48 hours to save the NHS'.
This discussion has been closed.