Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The left could be preparing for Corbyn to stand down & be r

1235»

Comments

• Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,523
    EPG said:

Man who went to South East Asia wants everyone else in the country to keep out black people but wants to let in South East Asians
    Do all the rest of us get to legislate our personal preferences too?

Well, yes, we do. It's called "democracy". Or do you take the view that there cannot be any difference between how problematic immigration from different sources is?
  • Options

Dave had the historic chance to stand up for England, and be associated with Churchill and Thatcher. Instead he will be listed alongside Chamberlain and Heath. What a shame.

The shame is that you believed in two PM's that are both charlatans, tricksters and frauds.

yes, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me..etc. I get that. really, I do.
  • Options

On topic - John McDonnell will not be the next leader of the Labour Party. He is less popular than Jeremy with MPs and MEPs nominating plus there won't be any charity nominations no matter how much pressure. McDonnell would have to make 51 nominations (now that MEPs are included) and he simply won't be able to do that. If you fancy a bet beyond Dan Jarvis or Lisa Nandy then Owen Smith is much better placed than McDonnell and available at similar odds.

I think this is a good post myself. The commentariat are getting excited about Ken's remark, and there is some logic to the prospect of McDonnell getting the gig (in some ways he's unlucky he didn't get the leadership - to some extent it's just the way that Buggins' turn fell among the Labour Left - and he has a reputation as a sharper operator than Corbyn), but it would need some planets to align for him. I can't imagine there being a simple coronation and I suspect it would largely depend on the extent to which the Left manage to seize control of the parliamentary party (including MEPs).
  • Options
    ZenPaganZenPagan Posts: 689

Dave had the historic chance to stand up for England, and be associated with Churchill and Thatcher. Instead he will be listed alongside Chamberlain and Heath. What a shame.

The shame is that you believed in two PM's that are both charlatans, tricksters and frauds.

yes, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me..etc. I get that. really, I do.

Fortunately despite voting for Cameron in 2010 i realised this and refused the man my vote in 2015
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @ZoraSuleman: Claims F1 boss Eddie Jordan is set to join the new Top Gear presenting team too
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,523
    edited February 2016
    MTimT said:

Basicaly, as a Con voter I gave Dave the benefit of the doubt. he has been a reasonably good PM in difficult circumtanes. The plan, negotiate a better deal and put it to the coumtr,y was sound.

I took him at his word. (I also took Blair at his word on the 45 mins blah blah blah).

Howwever,what we have been offered (or what DC been haggled ); is to be frank; bollocks and nationally humiliating.

Exactly my sentiments. An OK domestic Prime Minister, as disaster re the EU.
    Agree - yet slightly less of a disaster re. the EU than Brown (I'll sign whatever you want as long as I can do it when no-one's looking) or Blair (look how good a European I am! Of course we don't want a rebate. We're all reasonable people here, aren't we?) or Major (I'll sign the Maastricht Treaty and there's damn all you can do about it because the only two other parties you might vote for are even more Europhile than me. No you can't have a referendum about it). Probably no worse than Thatcher, either, though I'm starting to go back a bit before my time here. The only PM who appears to have stood up to Europe in any way was Wilson - probably because he was somewhat ambivalent about the whole project and genuinely would have been prepared to walk away.

Cameron has given us a referendum. More than any of his previous 5 predecessors have done.
  • Options
    ZenPaganZenPagan Posts: 689
    Cookie said:

MTimT said:

Basicaly, as a Con voter I gave Dave the benefit of the doubt. he has been a reasonably good PM in difficult circumtanes. The plan, negotiate a better deal and put it to the coumtr,y was sound.

I took him at his word. (I also took Blair at his word on the 45 mins blah blah blah).

Howwever,what we have been offered (or what DC been haggled ); is to be frank; bollocks and nationally humiliating.

Agree - yet slightly less of a disaster re. the EU than Brown (I'll sign whatever you want as long as I can do it when no-one's looking) or Blair (look how good a European I am! Of course we don't want a rebate. We're all reasonable people here, aren't we?) or Major (I'll sign the Maastricht Treaty and there's damn all you can do about it because the only two other parties you might vote for are even more Europhile than me. No you can't have a referendum about it). Probably no worse than Thatcher, either, though I'm starting to go back a bit before my time here. The only PM who appears to have stood up to Europe in any way was Wilson - probably because he was somewhat ambivalent about the whole project and genuinely would have been prepared to walk away.

Cameron has given us a referendum. More than any of his previous 5 predecessors have done.
    If Cameron gave us a referendum through choice I would agree, however I don't believe he gave us a referendum for any other reason than he thought it necessary to do so to get reeleceted
  • Options
    ZenPagan said:

Cookie said:

MTimT said:

he thought it necessary to do so to get reeleceted
    You'll be calling him a politician next.....
  • Options

On topic - John McDonnell will not be the next leader of the Labour Party. He is less popular than Jeremy with MPs and MEPs nominating plus there won't be any charity nominations no matter how much pressure. McDonnell would have to make 51 nominations (now that MEPs are included) and he simply won't be able to do that. If you fancy a bet beyond Dan Jarvis or Lisa Nandy then Owen Smith is much better placed than McDonnell and available at similar odds.

I think this is a good post myself. The commentariat are getting excited about Ken's remark, and there is some logic to the prospect of McDonnell getting the gig (in some ways he's unlucky he didn't get the leadership - to some extent it's just the way that Buggins' turn fell among the Labour Left - and he has a reputation as a sharper operator than Corbyn), but it would need some planets to align for him. I can't imagine there being a simple coronation and I suspect it would largely depend on the extent to which the Left manage to seize control of the parliamentary party (including MEPs).
    Labour are in a fix.
    Currently the Party currently won't vote in anyone but a leftist, the parliamentary party won't nominate a leftist.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    tyson said:

So, in short, you are just a racist, small minded, generalising, xenophobe that hates Blacks and Muslims. Thanks for the clarification.

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

The hysterical groupthink on here is hilarious.

I'm curious Richard - do you talk politics to many people outside of London, over 30 and who earn under £50k/pa.

Most who fall into that category that I know are voting Leave....
    Strange, in Leicester the people that I talk to mostly fall into that criteria and are voting Remain. It depends who you meet with.
    You're a doctor in Leicester. They will tend to agree with you. They want their methadone.
    I mean the staff.

While chatting to one of my Greek colleagues earlier in the week, I jested that I would shortly be learning Greek to keep up. Greek doctors now outnumber the WASPs in our dept 2:1; with only 10% of our medical staff being WASP.

It is clearly a fairly tolerant group as far as migration is concerned, but the local non medical staff are not going to discriminate against the colleagues.

You may get a different response on a building site, but I am not sure at all even there. The ones I meet via work seem happy enough to fraternise with furriners.
    I fraternise with foreign jonnies all the time. I live in London, dontya know. Which is now 55% non-native-British. Yes, 55%.

Most of my friends are white Brits but plenty aren't. We all get along.

Speaking as an affluent thriller writer, not forced to fight for bricklaying jobs, I am happy with large scale immigration from the Old EU, and from much of the New EU. That said, Romania, Slovakia and Bulgaria trouble me, because of the Roma element. Call me an horrible racist but they do bring social problems. They just DO.

Beyond the EU I am happy with immigration from China, Russia, Ukraine, Japan, Korea, South east Asia, likewise Latin America, North America, and the white Dominions. I would restrict immigration from the Caribbean and parts of black Africa due to worries about crime, and I would completely forbid immigration from the entire Muslim world because their ridiculous and hateful religion has entered a stage of terminal psychopathy.

There. Sorted.
    This from someone who thinks Norwich is to white - laughable.

• Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Nigel farage very good on LBC phone in.
This discussion has been closed.