Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The left could be preparing for Corbyn to stand down & be r

Comments

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited February 2016

SeanT said:

fpt for Josias

Remain seem at least "half competent"? Interesting. In what way? Can you name one single dazzling performance by a Remain campaigner, one speech, one article, one solitary sentence which has demonstrably affected the public mood in favour of IN?

No. You can't. All we've seen is Stuart Rose mumbling and fumbling, Alan Johnson saying"we should listen to the prime minister because he's the prime minister," and that same prime minister bringing home a "whole new relationship with the EU" which turns out to be an extra go on the Berlaymont pooltable, every second Friday, if the French head home before 10pm.

Indeed, such is the brilliance of this fantastically competent Remain campaign, the PM's deal has driven LEAVE to its highest polling in many months.

I've Followed both Leave and Remain campaigns on Twitter and Leave (principally @LeaveEUOfficial) is putting out more stuff and much better stuff than anything that Remain (@StrongerIn) has come up with.

Remain isn't competent. It is, however, united.
    That's interesting. Leaving aside the question of how effective a medium Twitter is for such things, it'd be good to know why their stuff is much better.
    Remain is putting out tweets like this, from a few minutes ago:

https://twitter.com/StrongerIn/status/695682367768367104

It's a very questionable assertion and even if true, is both of minimal impact to most people and smacks of patronising attitude that EU Knows Best.
    Jim Messina is reportedly working for Remain.

I think it's a subtle dog whistle to some voters that UKIP opposed gay marriage and think gay marriage causes flooding.

Do you really want to be on the same side as these people.
    In my view, more than immigration, it was the "floods caused gay marriage" and Farage's comments about breastfeeding in public that have damaged UKIP most.

Even many people who agree that immigration is too high and who think the EU is a lot of nonsense, don't want to view themselves as stuffy old fogeys who blush at the sight of a woman's breast or who think the threat of Sodom and Gomorrah hangs over the world.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Can anyone recall who was behind the Moscow apartment bombings? Was it Chechens?
  • Options

<

Considering you're saying events with Syria and immigration may well win it for Leave (which it might), then it's clear all Leave has is fear.

I dislike Remain's economic arguments: the jobs ones are particularly ridiculous given their history. The business arguments (on both sides) are also rather crass: we can be a success in or out of the EU in the short term (I tend to agree with RCS about the medium and long term situation wrt a two-speed Europe, and this is one of the main reasons I'll probably vote to leave)

You may say that Leave have better, more visceral arguments, but that's pointless in my case as I haven't seen them. No FB posts. No mailshots. No ads on websites I visit. I have seen a fair few for Remain. If they're going down the new media route then they're fighting with one hand tied behind their back. It didn't do Labour much good at the GE.

No. Those emotional arguments need not be in any way about refugees. I have lots of emotional arguments supporting Leave which have nothing to do with migration at all. Indeed that is exactly what Sean is saying when he references the Indy vote as an example.

Controlling one's own laws, choosing ones own trading partners, not having foreign values imposed via the 'one size fits all' law-making system the EU uses, controlling our own farming and fisheries in such a way that doesn't strip our seas and see us having to destroy our own orchards, being able to set our own tax rates

Basically running our own country via elected representatives who we get to destroy every 5 years if they piss us off.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,128
    SeanT said:

I've seen one boring leaflet for Remain, in my communal hallway, which no one else picked up, and then got dumped with the general trash. That's it.

To be fair the campaign proper hasn't even started yet, so most of it is happening on line, where it costs almost zero. And there LEAVE have the advantage, so far.

We've had two big leaflets from Remain for some reason. With the exception of this week I spend a fair while online, and I'm pretty sure I've seen nothing official from Leave.

Online campaigning can work, but to do it properly costs money. Labour didn't realise this for GE2015 and thought their echo chambers on FB and twitter were a success right up to May 5.
  • Options

<

Considering you're saying events with Syria and immigration may well win it for Leave (which it might), then it's clear all Leave has is fear.

I dislike Remain's economic arguments: the jobs ones are particularly ridiculous given their history. The business arguments (on both sides) are also rather crass: we can be a success in or out of the EU in the short term (I tend to agree with RCS about the medium and long term situation wrt a two-speed Europe, and this is one of the main reasons I'll probably vote to leave)

You may say that Leave have better, more visceral arguments, but that's pointless in my case as I haven't seen them. No FB posts. No mailshots. No ads on websites I visit. I have seen a fair few for Remain. If they're going down the new media route then they're fighting with one hand tied behind their back. It didn't do Labour much good at the GE.

No. Those emotional arguments need not be in any way about refugees. I have lots of emotional arguments supporting Leave which have nothing to do with migration at all. Indeed that is exactly what Sean is saying when he references the Indy vote as an example.

Controlling one's own laws, choosing ones own trading partners, not having foreign values imposed via the 'one size fits all' law-making system the EU uses, controlling our own farming and fisheries in such a way that doesn't strip our seas and see us having to destroy our own orchards, being able to set our own tax rates

Basically running our own country via elected representatives who we get to destroy every 5 years if they piss us off.
    Your last summation line screams "Fear!"

And I was referring to SeanT's oft-made comments about the immigration crisis and its effect on the vote.
  • Options

SeanT said:

fpt for Josias

Remain seem at least "half competent"? Interesting. In what way? Can you name one single dazzling performance by a Remain campaigner, one speech, one article, one solitary sentence which has demonstrably affected the public mood in favour of IN?

No. You can't. All we've seen is Stuart Rose mumbling and fumbling, Alan Johnson saying"we should listen to the prime minister because he's the prime minister," and that same prime minister bringing home a "whole new relationship with the EU" which turns out to be an extra go on the Berlaymont pooltable, every second Friday, if the French head home before 10pm.

Indeed, such is the brilliance of this fantastically competent Remain campaign, the PM's deal has driven LEAVE to its highest polling in many months.

I've Followed both Leave and Remain campaigns on Twitter and Leave (principally @LeaveEUOfficial) is putting out more stuff and much better stuff than anything that Remain (@StrongerIn) has come up with.

That's interesting. Leaving aside the question of how effective a medium Twitter is for such things, it'd be good to know why their stuff is much better.

It's a very questionable assertion and even if true, is both of minimal impact to most people and smacks of patronising attitude that EU Knows Best.
    Jim Messina is reportedly working for Remain.

I think it's a subtle dog whistle to some voters that UKIP opposed gay marriage and think gay marriage causes flooding.

Do you really want to be on the same side as these people.
    Well it's too subtle a dog whistle. It sounds more like 'you are on the same side as Peter Tatchell, aren't you?'

It also misses (or misleads on) the fundamental point that the referendum will not decide government policy other than on the specific question. We are having a referendum precisely in order to be able to determine policy *without* changing governments.

And it still sounds like 'If it wasn't for the nice EU looking after Britain, think of all the horrible things you'd do to yourself'.

Remain need to get their act together and talk turkey (not Turkey, obviously): jobs, travel, holiday homes - stuff people recognise.
  • Options
    Golly

Which countries trust their justice system?
    @OECD chart https://t.co/LSYmTxjs2t
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

fpt for Josias

It's because Leave have better, more visceral arguments. They sound positive. They've got the emotional debate in the bag - Cry Freedom! Give us back our country! Strike off the chains!

REMAIN is all about dull facts designed to induce mild dread - 3 billion budgies will slowly die in Britain without access to European seeds etc etc

It's the same as indyref. With the notable difference that NO could rely on an emotional attachment to Britishness amongst 30-40% of Scots AS WELL as the effect of Project Fear.

All Remain has is Fear.
    Perhaps 10% are emotionally attached to the EU.
    There's s thought. My impression is Remain is wide but tepid support. Is anyone really going to turn up to a Remain "rally" ( you know flag waving for the campaign cameras)?

What is the percentage of "hard core" Remainers?
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

SeanT said:

fpt for Josias

twitter.com/StrongerIn/status/695682367768367104

There is a audience that might play with. It doesn't post on here.
    The ignorant gay one? Unlikely that they'll be following Remain's twitter feed.
  • Options

<

And I was referring to SeanT's oft-made comments about the immigration crisis and its effect on the vote.
    Why 'fear? It a hugely positive thing to be able to humiliate and destroy your elected representatives every 5 years. One of the highlights of election night we all love is seeing some particularly obnoxious MP or minister looking shell shocked as they see their political career disappear down the toilet.

Not usually possible with Euro elections since the really obnoxious career ones are usually top of the party list and get in no matter what.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,300
    edited February 2016
    Replacing one terrorist sympathizer with another...genius idea...

http://hurryupharry.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/John-McDonell-helping-Cage.jpg

Also, of all the f##k ups so far, McMao and his little red book is the most memorable. Remember last weekend, he even f##ked up his own tax return stunt. What makes anybody think he will be better than JJ, he is JJ but doesn't even come across as principled but deluded old man.
  • Options

Can anyone recall who was behind the Moscow apartment bombings? Was it Chechens?

Possibly, although some blame the FSB's dirty hand (as much as I don't like Putin, I think that unlikely, at least directly). It's not as if the Chechen terrorists were nice, peace-loving chaps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_apartment_bombings
  • Options

Well it's too subtle a dog whistle. It sounds more like 'you are on the same side as Peter Tatchell, aren't you?'

It also misses (or misleads on) the fundamental point that the referendum will not decide government policy other than on the specific question. We are having a referendum precisely in order to be able to determine policy *without* changing governments.

And it still sounds like 'If it wasn't for the nice EU looking after Britain, think of all the horrible things you'd do to yourself'.

Remain need to get their act together and talk turkey (not Turkey, obviously): jobs, travel, holiday homes - stuff people recognise.

I know, but if I remember correctly, the Tory targeted ads on facebook were track to see what post people liked/followed the Tories, to help fill in the voter matrix.

If someone like a promoted facebook post on the economy, they were given tailored mailshots towards the economy, if they liked the post about education, their mailshots were primarily about education, so and so forth.

I think the same is happening here, building up a database.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

I know, but if I remember correctly, the Tory targeted ads on facebook were track to see what post people liked/followed the Tories, to help fill in the voter matrix.

If someone like a promoted facebook post on the economy, they were given tailored mailshots towards the economy, if they liked the post about education, their mailshots were primarily about education, so and so forth.

Can you recommend any good books on micro targetting?
  • Options

LondonBob incoming in 5...4...3....2....1...
  • Options

<

Why 'fear? It a hugely positive thing to be able to humiliate and destroy your elected representatives every 5 years. One of the highlights of election night we all love is seeing some particularly obnoxious MP or minister looking shell shocked as they see their political career disappear down the toilet.

Not usually possible with Euro elections since the really obnoxious career ones are usually top of the party list and get in no matter what.
    Sorry, you are right: I misread the line and thought you were referring to the EU destroying us. Blame the dark and headache, and/or me being stupid.

And I agree with you on the worthlessness of party lists.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

This one references the Tory micro targeting in 2015

https://www.bitebackpublishing.com/books/how-the-tories-won

The kindle edition is £6.02 and well worth it
  • Options

Sky News understands the Government is trying to elicit the services of Lynton Crosby over worries that David Cameron's EU deal is being portrayed too negatively by the press.
    http://news.sky.com/story/1636884/pm-turns-to-crosby-as-eu-campaign-falters

What do they mean, "trying to elicit"? Have they forgotten his phone number? Or is the reporter not quite sure it is more than a rumour. This is what Crosby does for a living, it's not like he has a different day job.
  • Options
    lolz

I'm watching a PBS docu on Putin and trying to get a feel for the other side.

LondonBob incoming in 5...4...3....2....1...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Sky News understands the Government is trying to elicit the services of Lynton Crosby over worries that David Cameron's EU deal is being portrayed too negatively by the press.
    What do they mean, "trying to elicit"? Have they forgotten his phone number? Or is the reporter not quite sure it is more than a rumour. This is what Crosby does for a living, it's not like he has a different day job.
    Read the story. He has several times refused to help the campaign, beforehand (perhaps he can detect a losing hand).

It's also interesting that the government is said to be "very worried" by the polls.

I'm sure that is the case. REMAIN are doing their best to look calm and assured and confident on the surface, but they must be cacking themselves at the way it's going so far. This was meant to be another "unlosable" referendum, just like indyref.

I suspect his reputation cannot be enhanced, even if Remain wins.

Far better to viewed as the genius behind the Tory majority in 2015.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    edited February 2016
    Will be interesting to see if SLAB will publish the underlying voting figures:

https://twitter.com/MeanwhileScotia/status/695691332204023808
  • Options

SeanT said:

Read the story. He has several times refused to help the campaign, beforehand (perhaps he can detect a losing hand).

It's also interesting that the government is said to be "very worried" by the polls.

I'm sure that is the case. REMAIN are doing their best to look calm and assured and confident on the surface, but they must be cacking themselves at the way it's going so far. This was meant to be another "unlosable" referendum, just like indyref.

His bank balance can though....
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    The Labour Party were barking to elect Corbyn, to change to McDonnell is moving into straightjacket territory.. A more odious individual its barely possible to think of.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McDonnell_(politician)
  • Options
    Off-topic:

In about the only bit of good news I've had all week, my mother-in-law's now a Master of Fine Arts. Woohoo!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,375

Golly

Which countries trust their justice system?
    @OECD chart https://t.co/LSYmTxjs2t

Interesting chart. Mostly unsurprisingish, but wouldn't have thought that 67% of Indians trust the Indian justice system. But perhaps I'm misled - is it in fact OK?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

fpt for Josias

It's because Leave have better, more visceral arguments. They sound positive. They've got the emotional debate in the bag - Cry Freedom! Give us back our country! Strike off the chains!

REMAIN is all about dull facts designed to induce mild dread - 3 billion budgies will slowly die in Britain without access to European seeds etc etc

It's the same as indyref. With the notable difference that NO could rely on an emotional attachment to Britishness amongst 30-40% of Scots AS WELL as the effect of Project Fear.

All Remain has is Fear.
    More like 5% I'd say.

However the EU does have a big payroll vote, Brits whose careers and livelihoods directly depend on the EU. From academics to civil servants to charidee workers to some big business honchos. Another 5%?
    Bigger than that. Lots of London graduates see their careers as depending on EU, whether that perception is true or not. Plus there are many with spouses and partners who are EU citizens.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    McDonnell is like Corbyn, but with less charisma and broad appeal.
  • Options

OK - fair enough in theory though it's still a really weak tweet even on its own terms and is typical of what's been coming out so far.
  • Options

SeanT said:

We also don't know what else he's doing. There are a lot of elections on these next few months.
  • Options

OK - fair enough in theory though it's still a really weak tweet even on its own terms and is typical of what's been coming out so far.
    I think this is the sort of stuff they are going for

https://www.facebook.com/StrongerInCampaign/videos/vb.1014500498590274/1092255080814815/?type=2&theater
  • Options
    edited February 2016

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

fpt for Josias

All Remain has is Fear.
    More like 5% I'd say.

However the EU does have a big payroll vote, Brits whose careers and livelihoods directly depend on the EU. From academics to civil servants to charidee workers to some big business honchos. Another 5%?
    Bigger than that. Lots of London graduates see their careers as depending on EU, whether that perception is true or not. Plus there are many with spouses and partners who are EU citizens.
    The figures from the most recent British Social Attitudes survey in 2014 are stark. Just 35% of those who have no qualifications want to remain in the EU compared with 78% of those with university degrees.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35470281
  • Options
    Scottish Labour regional lists

Central (currently 6 Labour seats: 3 constituencies and 3 list seats

1. Richard Leonard
    2. Monica Lennon
    3. Mark Griffin MSP
    4. Elaine Smith MSP
    5. Craig Martin
    6. Margaret Macculloch MSP
    7. John Pentland MSP
    8. LizAnne Handibode
    9. Michael McMahon MSP
    10. Siobhan McMahon MSP
    11. Hugh Gaffney
    12. Angela Feeney

Glasgow (currently 7 Labour seats, 4+3)

1. Anas Sarwar
    2. Johann Lamont MSP
    3. James Kelly MSP
    4. Pauline McNeill
    5. Bill Butler
    6. Patricia Ferguson MSP
    7. James Adams
    8. Soryia Siddique
    9. Paul Martin MSP
    10. Samantha Ritchie
    11. Danzala Malik MSP
    12. Anne Mactaggart MSP

Highlands and Islands (currently 2 Lab seats)

1. Rhoda Grant MSP
    2. David Stewart MSP
    3. Leah Franchetti
    4. Sean Morton
    5. Sarah Atkin
    6. John Erskine
    7. Robina Barton
    8. Gerry McGarvey

Lothian (currently 4 Lab seats, 1+3)

1. Kezia Dugdale MSP
    2. Neil Findlay MSP
    3. Sarah Boyack MSP
    4. Daniel Johnson
    5. Lesley Hinds
    6. Jalal Chaudry
    7. Cat Headley
    8. Bernard Harkins
    9. Eilidh MacDonald
    10. Shami Khan
    11. Ann Henderson
    12. Richard Corral

Mid Scotland and Fife (in 2011 4 Labour seats, currently 5 after a by-election gain)

1. Alex Rowley MSP
    2. Claire Baker MSP
    3. Thomas Docherty
    4. Cara Hilton MSP
    5. Craig Miller
    6. Johanna Boyd
    7. Jamie Glackin
    8. Jayne Baxter MSP
    9. Jim Leishman
    10. Lesley Laird
    11. Altany Craik
    12. Mary Lockhart

North East Scotland (currently 3 Lab seats)

1. Jenny Marra MSP
    2. Lewis MacDonald MSP
    3. Lesley Brennan MSP
    4. Richard McCready
    5. Sarah Duncan
    6. Willie Young
    7. Alison Evison
    8. Frank Gilfeather
    9. Joanne McFadden
    10. Nathan Morrison

South Scotland (currently 4 Lab seats, 2+2)

1. Iain Gray MSP
    2. Claudia Beamish MSP
    3. Colin Smyth
    4. Carol Mochan
    5. Kenryck Lloyd-Jones
    6. Fiona O’Donnell
    7. Andrew Cochrane
    8. Fiona Dugdale

West Scotland (currently 7 Lab seats, 4+3)

1. Jackie Baillie MSP
    2. Neil Bibby MSP
    3. Mary Fee MSP
    4. Ken MacIntosh MSP
    5. Johanna Baxter
    6. Joe Cullinane
    7. Siobhan McCready
    8. Martin McCluskey
    9. Moira Ramage
    10. Mark McMillan
    11. Gail Casey
    12. Paul Sweeney
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,122
    Speedy said:

Gravis N.H

Trump 29 -6
    Rubio 19 +10
    Cruz 15 +5
    Kasich 13 -2
    Bush 8 +1
    Christie 6 -2
    Carson 4 +3
    Fiorina 4 -1

http://www.oann.com/pollnh/

I think Rubio is going to win N.H barring an act of God.
    Which may happen if that snowstorm hits hard on pensioner turnout, for some reason his base of support are pensioners.

Rubio wins NH, I buy that.
    Next is South Carolina. I think Trump takes that, even if Rubio is surging.
    Nevada probably falls to Rubio.

Then is Super Tuesday, Cruz should score several states, including Texas.

But after that it's really hard for him.

But if Rubio wins New Hampshire and Nevada, I must say he should be 75-80% for the Republican nomination.
  • Options

MP_SE said:

Thanks I will pick up the kindle edition and read it over the weekend.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

I read that book in a few hours. Really compelling
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

There will also be a substantial number of people with ties/attachment to the 'home' country. having had family born in EU nations, spouses originating from there etc.
  • Options

Or who would like to work in the EU at some point, or who have a friend who's an EU citizen, etc.

EFTA/EEA doesn't scare the horses, saves money, and reduces interference from the ECJ. It doesn't require a wholesale renegotiation of trade deals. It means that firms - such as my own - with lots of EU clients will be largely unaffected.

What's not to like?
  • Options
    I'm so glad I laid Donald Trump so much

https://twitter.com/AriMelber/status/695691366479822848
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Also, he obviously didn't hear about how good our public polls were for GE2015...
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

It's an excellent book, best read together with Five Million Conversations.
  • Options
    notme said:

MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

Agreed, and also read the Cowley and Kavangh book too.
  • Options

MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

I read that book in a few hours. Really compelling
    I passed it along to my MP, who had it has his relaxing christmas read.
  • Options
    notme said:

MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

Cheers. Hopefully there are lots of amusing tales.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

I think they are very different beasts. Corbyn, to give him the benefit of the doubt is misguided, but is well intentioned. I dont think he would ever swindle or intentionally harm anyone, however I also feel that it would be impossible to persuade him that a policy/position he advocates was in itself incredibly harmful. I get the impression he genuinely wants to bring about a better world. Of course his policies wouldnt do that, but that isnt the point. He has fallen into being the leader of a revolution, he hasnt sought it for its own sake.

Mcdonnell though is a different kettle of fish. There is a ruthless steel there that suggests he would do anything to bring about the changes he wishes to bring about, and he cares little about the harm it might do to those who get in the way. Most definite a post revolution soviet communist style, who would rather intern people in gulags and oppress than admit that his policies might be a failure. He will not hesitate to do whatever is necessary to achieve his aims.

Mcdonnell is a far more frightening prospect.
  • Options
    so which Labour sitting MSPs will almost certainly lose their seats?

Looking at the lists, I would say

Macculloch
    McMahon x 2
    Pentland
    Ferguson
    Martin
    Malik
    McTaggart
    Baxter
    Hilton

A couple of others (Smith and Stewart) are at risk but with some hopes.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    A Muslim women's group has written to Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn claiming women have been stopped from becoming councillors by Muslim men in the party.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-35504185

It probably isn't intentional, it is just because all the men and women are separated at the selection meetings, the people running it miss "the little ladies" packed in the sides and back of the room when they put their hands up.
  • Options
    Reuters
    German spy agency says Islamic State is sending fighters disguised as refugees: https://t.co/g7yvrBMyvc https://t.co/53M8HnyPtI
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187
    edited February 2016

Also, he obviously didn't hear about how good our public polls were for GE2015...
    Mind you Romney's 'private polls' had him ahead in 2012 so great investment they were. All the polls from New Hampshire today have Trump still ahead, I think he wins the state unless he has a disaster in tomorrow's debate. Bush and Christie will also be clashing with Rubio as much as Trump clashes with Cruz
  • Options
    Tory party members polled in May: Leave EU 16%, Remain 20%, It "depends on terms of a negotiation" 65% @ProfTimBale https://t.co/yMij6wbef6
  • Options

Reuters
    German spy agency says Islamic State is sending fighters disguised as refugees: https://t.co/g7yvrBMyvc https://t.co/53M8HnyPtI

Nooooooo..surely not....
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

Reuters

Well that is hardly a surprise to anyone
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,375
    Lots of NH pollsshowing Sanders' lead shrinking today from 30ish before the debate to 15ish now. So that national one showing him just behind Clinton seems likely to be a rogue, as we suspected.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    More panicky stuff from David Herdson downthread I see...
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    WTF

Muslim women 'stopped' from becoming Labour councillors

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35504185
    As Mr Corbyn prepared to speak to the Association of Labour Councillors on Saturday, BBC Newsnight spoke to about a dozen Muslim women up and down the country.

They appeared to point to a pattern of obstruction from within Labour Muslim ranks and back up Muslim Women's Network UK complaints of sabotage.

Optician Fozia Parveen claims her efforts to become a Labour councillor in Birmingham in 2008 were scuppered by men within the party.

She said: "At the time, I was aware of a smear campaign against me, they said that I was having an affair with one of the existing councillors. I was quite taken aback. People were turning up at my family home trying to intimidate my mum."
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,018
    Just catching up.. good luck next week TSE.

I offer my services as scribe for the great AV thread if you are required to spend a little less time on the computer.
  • Options

WTF

I can't imagine Corbyn doing anything to upset his friendly 'community leaders'...
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    notme said:

Jonathan said:

I think they are very different beasts. Corbyn, to give him the benefit of the doubt is misguided, but is well intentioned. I dont think he would ever swindle or intentionally harm anyone, however I also feel that it would be impossible to persuade him that a policy/position he advocates was in itself incredibly harmful. I get the impression he genuinely wants to bring about a better world. Of course his policies wouldnt do that, but that isnt the point. He has fallen into being the leader of a revolution, he hasnt sought it for its own sake.

Mcdonnell though is a different kettle of fish. There is a ruthless steel there that suggests he would do anything to bring about the changes he wishes to bring about, and he cares little about the harm it might do to those who get in the way. Most definite a post revolution soviet communist style, who would rather intern people in gulags and oppress than admit that his policies might be a failure. He will not hesitate to do whatever is necessary to achieve his aims.

The Corbyn to McDonnell swap is not an easy one. It requires a leadership contest, and McDonnell lacks Corbyns charm. He may well not get the nominations, and may well lose. Surely this is the obvious flaw in the plan?
  • Options

WTF

As Mr Corbyn prepared to speak to the Association of Labour Councillors on Saturday, BBC Newsnight spoke to about a dozen Muslim women up and down the country.

They appeared to point to a pattern of obstruction from within Labour Muslim ranks and back up Muslim Women's Network UK complaints of sabotage.

Optician Fozia Parveen claims her efforts to become a Labour councillor in Birmingham in 2008 were scuppered by men within the party.

She said: "At the time, I was aware of a smear campaign against me, they said that I was having an affair with one of the existing councillors. I was quite taken aback. People were turning up at my family home trying to intimidate my mum."
    Lucky bastards. Imagine having to explain being a Labour councillor to your kids.
  • Options

notme said:

Jonathan said:

The Corbyn to McDonnell swap is not an easy one. It requires a leadership contest, and McDonnell lacks Corbyns charm. He may well not get the nominations, and may well lose. Surely this is the obvious flaw in the plan?
    I was surprised at just how good Mcdonnell was on Question Time, of course he got his unpleasant history with the IRA, but he handled himself fairly well. He had a lot of confidence and came across as credible.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005

SeanT said:

fpt for Josias

There are gay people who are anti-EU, for much the same reasons that heterosexuals are anti-EU. It would be hard to argue that leaving the EU would have any adverse impact on them, IMHO.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    But but it's all going so well.

That Ken's hoping Jezza has a stroke is genuine concern for his wellbeing.

Seriously, what the Hell?!! :lol:
    rcs1000 said:

WTF

Lucky bastards. Imagine having to explain being a Labour councillor to your kids.

• Options
    I knew there was more to that story about May not being able to deport a Moroccan women...

Moroccan woman with criminal record who can't be deported from UK because she is a mother is identified as Abu Hamza's daughter-in-law

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3433935/Moroccan-woman-criminal-record-t-deported-mother-Abu-Hamza-s-daughter-law.html
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187
    edited February 2016

Lots of NH pollsshowing Sanders' lead shrinking today from 30ish before the debate to 15ish now. So that national one showing him just behind Clinton seems likely to be a rogue, as we suspected.

A Quinnipiac poll for the general election today had Clinton beating Trump and tieing Cruz but losing to Rubio while Sanders tied Rubio. If Rubio does somehow manage to win the GOP nomination Dems may feel they have nothing to lose and pick Sanders, especially as there are a rumoured few skeletons around the Florida Senator as yet unsubstantiated
  • Options
    Just couldn't resist that Little Red Book though.
    notme said:

notme said:

Jonathan said:

I was surprised at just how good Mcdonnell was on Question Time, of course he got his unpleasant history with the IRA, but he handled himself fairly well. He had a lot of confidence and came across as credible.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    'Britain stronger in Europe because Europe tells us what to do' - it's a great message.
  • Options

Micro-targeting works when you're focusing on individual seats, but not when the country is one big constituency. That's when turning out your base is important.
  • Options

notme said:

notme said:

Jonathan said:

He isn't credible when you actually look at what he says/does

One reasonable QT performance does not make him an operator.

He would not stand up to scrutiny any more than Corbyn does
  • Options

notme said:

notme said:

Jonathan said:

"embarrassing, embarrassing, embarrassing"
  • Options
    notme said:

notme said:

Jonathan said:

He is better presented than Corbyn, but lacks charm.

The selectorate is not as left wing as imagined - they did back David Miliband - and may well vote for someone else over McDonnell.
  • Options
    Unless I have missed it, I have not seen any comment today from the Labour leadership on Julian Assange. Could some kind person please ask Jeremy Corbyn or Diane Abbott which side they back -UN or the British government. The suspense is killing me.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

There will also be a substantial number of people with ties/attachment to the 'home' country. having had family born in EU nations, spouses originating from there etc.
    While that's so, there certainly are plenty of Leavers among older people who've come from the Continent.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Maybe Rupert's had a word in his shell-like and put him right?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @scotspoond: Very clever by Sturgeon, sees the increase in @ScotTories popularity and aligns with them on tax policy.

#BothVotesTory
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Years of legal challenges in the case of a terrorist's daughter-in-law

Abu Hamza’s daughter-in-law, who can only be identified by the initials CS, came to Britain from her native Morocco in 2003 the year after marrying the hate preacher’s son.

The Home Office, then under the tenure of Labour’s David Blunkett, granted her a visa on the basis of her marriage to Hamza’s son, a British citizen, who also cannot be named for legal reasons.

At the end of October the following year CS was granted indefinite leave to remain in this country - a decision rubber-stamped under Mr Blunkett’s successor Charles Clarke.

Within two years CS and Hamza’s son had divorced but they were later reconciled and re-married here and she fell pregnant.

It was the birth of that child – Abu Hamza’s grandson - which played a crucial role in CS’s fight to stay in Britain despite her later actions.

The child’s birth, registered in Hammersmith and Fulham borough in west London in July 2011, became the foundation of her claim to the European Court of Justice and yesterday’s outspoken developments on the floor of the House of Commons.

In December 2010, while newly pregnant, CS strolled into Belmarsh prison with a mobile phone ‘Sim’ cards hidden under her Islamic robes.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/12142702/Moroccan-criminal-fighting-deportation-is-Abu-Hamzas-daughter-in-law-a-Tory-MP-reveals.html

It goes on and on and on....

And such a lovely family too...

Four of Hamza’s sons, including his step-son, have been convicted of criminal offences ranging from plotting a terrorist campaign to fraud.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    There's so much of this stuff, I'm going snowblind

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/641455/Colgone-sex-attacks-journalist-assault-live-TV-Esmeralda-Labye
    Belgian journalist Esmeralda Labye was reporting from a bustling Cologne carnival when a man grabbed her breast.

She said: “At first they were just making faces behind me. Then a hand landed on my breast. I was shocked.”
  • Options
    runnymede said:

'Britain stronger in Europe because Europe tells us what to do' - it's a great message.

I believe the plan is to go for:

"Erectile dysfunction? Vote Remain"
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

notme said:

notme said:

Jonathan said:

He isn't credible when you actually look at what he says/does

One reasonable QT performance does not make him an operator.

He would not stand up to scrutiny any more than Corbyn does
    quite so, there is no need to show up McDonnell for what he actually is.. yet.. His time will come, if elected to the leadership.. it will be just brutal, and so it should be.. .
  • Options
    Charles Moore in the Telegraph is somewhat miffed at Mr Cameron

"What the Prime Minister offered to the House of Commons on Wednesday is so worthless that it is almost embarrassing to expend any ink on it. "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/12143491/I-feel-such-a-fool-for-giving-David-Cameron-the-benefit-of-the-doubt-on-his-EU-deal.html
  • Options

notme said:

notme said:

Jonathan said:

The selectorate is not as left wing as imagined - they did back David Miliband - and may well vote for someone else over McDonnell.
    Different times, different rules.

The self-selecting three-quidders have changed the game massively. Yes, the membership also backed Corbyn but in any future election, a mainstream candidate will need well over 50% of the membership to overcome the three-quidder bias. And the membership has moved to the left since last summer, never mind 2010.
  • Options
    If the Government, or at least the Remainers are indeed "very worried" by the polls, might we reach a point where through fear of losing the referendum they might actually welcome the proposals being kicked into touch by the Mediterranean EU leaders, thereby saving Dave & Co. the embarrassment of losing the referendum ...... "sorry Guv'nor we did our best but those pesky foreigners just weren't having any of it"

The trouble is what happens then when we're facing a brick wall?
  • Options

notme said:

notme said:

Jonathan said:

How would McDonnell get nominated?
  • Options

notme said:

notme said:

Jonathan said:

I can't see it myself. Corbyn will continue as no chance of another hard leftie getting nominated.
  • Options
    Free knee-capping supplied by Corbynistas on deselection panels?

notme said:

notme said:

Jonathan said:

• Options
    "He is better presented than Corbyn"

You mean he combs his hair and doesn't wear beige jackets?
  • Options

SeanT said:

Rupert will support Remain, in the end.

He wants to build Sky Europe: he has the UK, Italy and Germany. He wants to be able to buy Canal+ in France and Sogecable in Spain, without any pesky interference from the competition authorities,

It is therefore in his best interest to be as hostile as possible now, before reluctantly deciding (when the politicians fold to him) that Remain is the best option.
  • Options

McDonnell also thinks before he speaks!
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    fsxk..He still spouts nonsense..
  • Options

"What the Prime Minister offered to the House of Commons on Wednesday is so worthless that it is almost embarrassing to expend any ink on it. "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/12143491/I-feel-such-a-fool-for-giving-David-Cameron-the-benefit-of-the-doubt-on-his-EU-deal.html

Coming from the highly respected Charles Moore, that is both highly damning and damaging.
  • Options

That doesn't actually improve the quality of what he actually says or does.
  • Options

There's so much of this stuff, I'm going snowblind

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/641455/Colgone-sex-attacks-journalist-assault-live-TV-Esmeralda-Labye

Belgian journalist Esmeralda Labye was reporting from a bustling Cologne carnival when a man grabbed her breast.

She said: “At first they were just making faces behind me. Then a hand landed on my breast. I was shocked.”
    It happens in Birmingham every night.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Gravis N.H

Trump 29 -6
    Rubio 19 +10
    Cruz 15 +5
    Kasich 13 -2
    Bush 8 +1
    Christie 6 -2
    Carson 4 +3
    Fiorina 4 -1

http://www.oann.com/pollnh/

I think Rubio is going to win N.H barring an act of God.
    Which may happen if that snowstorm hits hard on pensioner turnout, for some reason his base of support are pensioners.

Hardly surprising, only the oldies still read newspapers or pay attention to the TV news where the ramping for the Flamingo Kid occurs.

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster/2016-new-hampshire-presidential-republican-primary

More polls, looks like Rubio gets a small bump and Trump stays in the low thirties. Trump remains strong amongst independents but crucially 80% of his voters say they will definitely vote Trump, Rubio is much softer at sub 60%. Can't see anyone but Trump wining, post debate polls will be interesting.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

That doesn't actually improve the quality of what he actually says or does.
    Indeed it makes it more malicious, and dangerously thought through. Corbyn is always half baked, McDonnell fully so.
  • Options
    Isn't the fly in the ointment for the McDonnell theory the fact, he would definitely need to get 25 (or whatever the current number is) of nominations
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,088
    edited February 2016
    If we Leave, will we still be able to buy Eurolottery tickets?

Not that I do but asking for a friend.
  • Options

The Labour Party were barking to elect Corbyn, to change to McDonnell is moving into straightjacket territory.. A more odious individual its barely possible to think of.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McDonnell_(politician)

The headline is based on a comment from Ken Livingstone which is something which has as much logic and basis as a press conference from Chemical Ali.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

Coming from the highly respected Charles Moore, that is both highly damning and damaging.
    Help me out, which electorate ha he exposed himself to?
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    rcs1000 said:

SeanT said:

Rupert will support Remain, in the end.

He wants to build Sky Europe: he has the UK, Italy and Germany. He wants to be able to buy Canal+ in France and Sogecable in Spain, without any pesky interference from the competition authorities,

It is therefore in his best interest to be as hostile as possible now, before reluctantly deciding (when the politicians fold to him) that Remain is the best option.
    A huge number of Sun staffers are Eurosceptics. They will have a fit. I vaguely remember something happening the last time he made some Eruophile noises.
  • Options

Moore is also a friend of Cameron's.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited February 2016

Lots of polls = zero in mumber

No N.H. poll has been published that was conducted after last nights debate.

If you count post Iowa polls , the only poll that has shown a Sanders lead of greater than 30 and now at 15 is the University of Massachusetts tracking poll.
    All the others show the Sanders lead either the same or increasing, although none have ever showed a Sanders lead of 30 before.
This discussion has been closed.