Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » YouGov has LEAVE lead up to 9% in survey taken immediately

Comments

• Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    And now we've got this. Still no convictions.

SkyNews
    A case of female genital mutilation is reported in England every 109 minutes https://t.co/AvsJgs1BGK https://t.co/FYN6vdwd6R
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,906

Can anyone see how a Leave vote would not be followed by an early general election to get a mandate to negotiate? I can't.

There would also probably be a second "are you sure" referendum.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,996

Can anyone see how a Leave vote would not be followed by an early general election to get a mandate to negotiate? I can't.

Dunno. I think it would be really quite chaotic. Freedom of movement or not would be the crunch question.

Presumably the establishment generally, the BoE, the CBI, the City, the House of Lords, most Labour MPs, the LibDems, and the Cameroon and some other parts of the Conservative Party (including some of the BOOers) would be trying hard to limit the damage by going for an EEA style deal; the Kippers, some Labour MPs, and the right of Conservative Party would want a looser deal where we don't sign up to freedom of movement. I guess the unions would be split. Politics would be completely shaken up.
    One dodgy poll and its 'apocalypse soon'!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

The tables are up for the Times/YouGov Scotland poll. It also asked how people would vote on the question of Scottish independence (brackets indicate change on last month). No 55% (+3%), Yes 45% (-3%).

Interestingly, while both Con (93) and SNP (92) retain their support from 2015 on the seat vote - unlike Lab (77) and LibD (65), when it comes to the List vote, only Con (93) holds up, while SNP (78) sees support fall to the same level as Lab (74) with the Greens (10) the main beneficiaries....

Meanwhile Nicola's stratospheric rating slips slightly to +30 (-8), but still comfortably ahead of Keiza at -18 (-5) and Ruth on +4 (+3).

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/xqh3y5ghb2/TimesResults_JanFeb16_ScotlandVI_Leaders_Tax_Fracking_Refugees_Website.pdf
    Ruth's direction of travel is interesting though...
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

Dunno. I think it would be really quite chaotic. Freedom of movement or not would be the crunch question.

Presumably the establishment generally, the BoE, the City, the House of Lords, most Labour MPs, the LibDems, and the Cameroon and some other parts of the Conservative Party (including some of the BOOers) would be trying hard to limit the damage by going for an EEA style deal; the Kippers, some Labour MPs, and the right of Conservative Party would want a looser deal where we don't sign up to freedom of movement. Politics would be completely shaken up.
    I think the EEA plan would be quite incendiary.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Anyhoo. The big polling news overnight was the Tories being second in Scotland.

Dreaming again
    And your reading of the current shares is?

To be honest, I doubt the Tories are second in Scotland at the moment but I do think they're within MoE and as such we will get, as here, the odd poll putting them level or ahead.

There was an amusing projection on twitter of how the poll would pan out in the constituencies - namely a big slab of blue across the Borders, some orange specs in the north and yellow just about everywhere else. And no red.

https://twitter.com/GerryHassan/status/695540845647433728
    Labour are certainly trying to help them be loser of choice, but it will be too much for people to vote Tory, 3rd for sure.
    It's not so much that Lab and Con are tied that surprises me - I was expecting that at some point just on sampling fluctuation - it's that both parties are on 25; a share the Conservatives haven't achieved since 1992.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

And more. It doesn't matter how crap the LEAVE campaign is, they could be led by Mr Tumble and a retarded cucumber, news like this just makes their job too easy:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/6910086/Five-migrants-among-7-young-men-who-laughed-danced-and-sang-in-Arabic-as-they-gang-raped-unconscious-girl-of-17.html

FFS.

Absolutely disgusting. Honestly, normal execution is too good for these people. Death by firing squad in a public square where the rest of these people can see the consequences of these actions.
    Clearly sickening. But we should remember that most Syrian refugees are decent people and are badly tarred by these outrages.

What don't help is the local mayor saying we should respond to brutal gang rapes by 'explaining our values' to them.
    I remain unconvinced on the first statement.

On the second, well liberal wets have been turning a blind eye to Muslim rape gangs for years in this country and now they are being as stupid in Europe. I don't see what value these people bring to Europe or even the world. Removing them from our society is the only way forwards.
  • Options
    isam said:

Presumably the establishment generally, the BoE, the CBI, the City, the House of Lords, most Labour MPs, the LibDems, and the Cameroon and some other parts of the Conservative Party (including some of the BOOers) would be trying hard to limit the damage by going for an EEA style deal; the Kippers, some Labour MPs, and the right of Conservative Party would want a looser deal where we don't sign up to freedom of movement. I guess the unions would be split. Politics would be completely shaken up.
    Is it too early for a vow?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Doubt it...imagine if there had been a second indie referendum for scotland on the terms of independence.
  • Options

Mr. Herdson, the two were rather linked, though. And wasn't he trying to avenge his son?

Politics and fleecing people were certainly linked.
  • Options
    So now we have the Remain campaign firing off completely incorrect press releases and, I think, FOUR different Leave campaigns. What mess.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,996
    Wanderer said:

Presumably the establishment generally, the BoE, the City, the House of Lords, most Labour MPs, the LibDems, and the Cameroon and some other parts of the Conservative Party (including some of the BOOers) would be trying hard to limit the damage by going for an EEA style deal; the Kippers, some Labour MPs, and the right of Conservative Party would want a looser deal where we don't sign up to freedom of movement. Politics would be completely shaken up.
    We could have another referendum on EEA membership :D
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    China watchers, a fascinating statistic. In 2015, China's urbanisation ended. There was net migration (albeit at a miniscule level) from cities back to the countryside.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176

Miss Plato, give it a week, might be up to a hundred by then.

I hope our German cousins enjoy Fasching.
  • Options
    isam said:

I haven't changed my view - I think Remain will win easily.

But of course I might be wrong. As SeanT keeps reminding us, the migrant crisis is potentially a big factor in favour of Leave (albeit one which doesn't actually make much sense).
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

No way, leave is leave. We would have two years to negotiate the terms of our withdrawal and what kind of arrangement we would have with the EU in terms of trade and immigration, but there is no way the government could hold a second referendum because they don't like the result of the first one.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Jonathan said:

Doubt it...imagine if there had been a second indie referendum for scotland on the terms of independence.
    It wasn't an issue because Scotland voted to stay and if they had voted yes the Scottish establishment (largely now the SNP) would have gone with it quite happily.

If an EU vote is a close Leave, I expect there would be a second vote on a revised deal.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

And more. It doesn't matter how crap the LEAVE campaign is, they could be led by Mr Tumble and a retarded cucumber, news like this just makes their job too easy:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/6910086/Five-migrants-among-7-young-men-who-laughed-danced-and-sang-in-Arabic-as-they-gang-raped-unconscious-girl-of-17.html

FFS.

Absolutely disgusting. Honestly, normal execution is too good for these people. Death by firing squad in a public square where the rest of these people can see the consequences of these actions.
    Clearly sickening. But we should remember that most Syrian refugees are decent people and are badly tarred by these outrages.

What don't help is the local mayor saying we should respond to brutal gang rapes by 'explaining our values' to them.

On the second, well liberal wets have been turning a blind eye to Muslim rape gangs for years in this country and now they are being as stupid in Europe. I don't see what value these people bring to Europe or even the world. Removing them from our society is the only way forwards.
    Wasn't there something posted by Plato early this week that showed that 50% of migrants were from Syria, and they were massively less likely to commit crimes than non-Syrian migrants (i.e. those from North Africa, and the rest of the Middle East).
  • Options

Yes. The Conservatives have all the mandate they need. The whole purpose of a referendum is to separate out the EU vote from the government's standing, particularly given that there will be Tories on both sides of the debate.

I do, however, think that it'd be the end of Cameron. Would a new Tory leader try to call an election? I doubt it. Apart from the mechanics being awkward - putting down a motion in the House would be the easiest way but it'd need Labour support to pass - the chances are that even with a new leader, Con would be well down in the polls and have every incentive to await better times.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

Roger said:

Roger said:

The two most interesting features of a 'Leave' vote would be the resignation of Dave and half his cabinet and the certainty of another Scottish referendum which would likely produce the opposite result to the last one.

My fear is that from becoming gradually more outward looking Endgland would revert to it's old xenophobia self again and the new cosmopolitan spirit that 's emanated from London would start to disappear.

I'm in France at the moment and that cosmopolitan feeling has always been here but it was much later coming to England and it would be a great sadness if we lost it

Typical small mindedness Roger. Only Paris is vaguely cosmopolitan. Most of rural France is decidely introspective, the kind of place where the echangistes sleep with their other sister.
    If you walk down a street in even a middling sized English town and you hear people speaking Polish/French/German/ etc it's likely to be commented on. That's not the case in even the smallest of French towns. Lets say Ludlow-en-Loire. On the 'Peage' if you need to speak to anyone they allow you to choose your language. 'As for exchangistes' swapping for the other sister; villages will be villages!
    LOL, Roger I'm coming fast to the view you've never been outside London. All the pubs and restaurants round me have E European staff, or Spaniards. My barber is from Lebanon, my car is serviced by a Sikh and my vicar is half Iranian !

And I live in the arse end of rural Warwickshire.
    Quite. I'm just off to Hereford.

I'll count the number of languages I hear as I troll along Commercial Street and report back. I'll also report the number of slack-jawed indigenes marvelling at Johnny Foreigner's exotic lingo.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

No way, leave is leave. We would have two years to negotiate the terms of our withdrawal and what kind of arrangement we would have with the EU in terms of trade and immigration, but there is no way the government could hold a second referendum because they don't like the result of the first one.
    Been done before elsewhere. If it's close, doubts will be sowed and we will go through it all again on a different deal.

I am not saying I approve, I just see it as possible.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

I think that's inconceivable while the Tories are in government. Whoever the Tory leader is, they will not be able to take any EU-related measure which requires opposition support to get through the Commons.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,956

It would be fun, wouldn't it? It would be like one of those interesting elections from the 1920's.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

isam said:

But of course I might be wrong. As SeanT keeps reminding us, the migrant crisis is potentially a big factor in favour of Leave (albeit one which doesn't actually make much sense).
    Richard, What is your view on that element of the package relating to the protection for UK financial sector and our ability to protect ourselves against the Eurozone etc? From the little I've heard (and that includes SeanT whose vituperation for once rang true) or read, Cameron appears to have secured very little.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176

. . .
    I think Remain will win easily.

It makes perfect sense. Where does the migrant threat come from? Europe and Merkel's demented invitation plus the acquisition over time of unchecked movement within EU. People can see all that on the horizon.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    edited February 2016
    Who is doing what for Syrian refugees?

Oxfam 'Fair Share' analysis of aid as % of Gross National Income:

Kuwait: 554%
    Norway: 385%
    Denmark: 318%
    Netherlands: 246%
    UK: 237%
    Germany: 152%
    Sweden: 142%
    US: 76%
    France: 45%
    Italy: 39%
    Russia: 1%

http://policy-practice.oxfam.org.uk/publications/syria-crisis-fair-share-analysis-2016-594875
  • Options

SkyNews
    A case of female genital mutilation is reported in England every 109 minutes https://t.co/AvsJgs1BGK https://t.co/FYN6vdwd6R

Ah, from Cologne to Malmo, that sparks a possible solution which would somehat reduce the EU's rapefugee crisis.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    57% will vote for leave....
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    Toms said:

As long as DC can convey the message of "toughness" over this country's immigration policy (damnme but many people do seem to believe what he says) my bones tell me that "STAY" will win by a Hillary C Iowan maidenhair wisp.

In which case, it is likely that Scotland will have stopped England getting out the EU. Which is the starting pistol for a whole load of constitutional problems...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Wanderer said:

We could have another referendum on EEA membership :D
    I was just thinking that. Would the anti side say that the EEA referendum was effectively a rerun of the EU one? Probably.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

FFS.

Wasn't there something posted by Plato early this week that showed that 50% of migrants were from Syria, and they were massively less likely to commit crimes than non-Syrian migrants (i.e. those from North Africa, and the rest of the Middle East).
    If you (or anyone else) can find that it would be an interesting read. I'm open to the idea, but as I said, I remain unconvinced by the idea. Islamic culture just isn't compatible with western liberal values and wherever there are a lot of Muslims within a western country there tend to be issues over women's rights and sexual abuse of non-Muslim women.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    So now we have the Remain campaign firing off completely incorrect press releases and, I think, FOUR different Leave campaigns. What mess.

Well true, but that is democracy, and that is what this referendum, even in its infancy, has done. It's exposed vested interest, mendacity, stupidity and careerism on all sides. Its enlivened the political debate hugely. It has told our leaders they must do better.
  • Options
    Hmmm both Douglas Carswell and Arron Banks on the Marr Show on Sunday.

They loathe each other......
  • Options
    Dear old David Davis. He must think there's an angel on his side.

What an opportunity this referendum is giving the man from the mean streets to exact revenge on the gilded butterfly who beat him to the glittering prizes.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

Toms said:

As long as DC can convey the message of "toughness" over this country's immigration policy (damnme but many people do seem to believe what he says) my bones tell me that "STAY" will win by a Hillary C Iowan maidenhair wisp.

In which case, it is likely that Scotland will have stopped England getting out the EU. Which is the starting pistol for a whole load of constitutional problems...
    Interesting. I think maybe your political pixels are finer than mine.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

FFS.

If you (or anyone else) can find that it would be an interesting read. I'm open to the idea, but as I said, I remain unconvinced by the idea. Islamic culture just isn't compatible with western liberal values and wherever there are a lot of Muslims within a western country there tend to be issues over women's rights and sexual abuse of non-Muslim women.
    I think part of it was demographics: many of the genuine Syrian refugees were families, while the economic migrants were 18-25 year old men. It wouldn't be surprising if the former group was less likely to commit crimes.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Dear old David Davis. He must think there's an angel on his side.

What an opportunity this referendum is giving the man from the mean streets to exact revenge on the gilded butterfly who beat him to the glittering prizes.

If the referendum doesn't go his way, I suppose he could trigger a by election and stand again
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Richard, What is your view on that element of the package relating to the protection for UK financial sector and our ability to protect ourselves against the Eurozone etc? From the little I've heard (and that includes SeanT whose vituperation for once rang true) or read, Cameron appears to have secured very little.

I posted on this extensively over the last couple of days (and got a load of excrement squirted at me for my trouble!). Without wanting to go over it all again, my view is that it's slightly better than I expected (the Benefits part being less good than I expected). It certainly looks like better protection than we would have if we left and joined the EEA.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-architecture-analysis-idUKKCN0VB1UT
  • Options

Who is doing what for Syrian refugees?

Oxfam 'Fair Share' analysis of aid as % of Gross National Income:

Kuwait: 554%
    Norway: 385%
    Denmark: 318%
    Netherlands: 246%
    UK: 237%
    Germany: 152%
    Sweden: 142%
    US: 76%
    France: 45%
    Italy: 39%
    Russia: 1%

http://policy-practice.oxfam.org.uk/publications/syria-crisis-fair-share-analysis-2016-594875

If you include the cost of the bombs and rockets, Russia looks like a much bigger contributor.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,956
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

FFS.

Islamic culture is not a monolith.

It's quite possible that people from one country are far better-behaved than people from another.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

FFS.

Liberal wets and the police and law-and-order crowd who were afraid of causing riots.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    'A case of female genital mutilation is reported in England every 109 minutes'

Cyclefree was right on this a few days ago. This should become an offence of strict liability, with any child found to have suffered this removed from the parents and the latter prosecuted automatically.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    SeanT said:

isam said:

I presume you now admit that Cameron's deal was a pile of second-hand pants, hence the lurch to LEAVE in response.

According to the Spectator, the deal was so bad - so utterly insubstantial - it left europhile Tory MPs a little shaken.

Your man, Cameron, fucked up badly. He misplayed expectations, and got out-negotiated, to boot.
    It was a very weak deal, but I still expect Remain to win. The fact that the Leave campaign do not have a single leader with a voice able to cut through is fatal for them.

They need someone with HUGE gravitas and charisma who could - if push came to shove - be PM leading a negotiation. The campaign needs that reassurance and trust element.

There is no-one and no-one on the horizon.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

FFS.

Islamic culture is not a monolith.

It's quite possible that people from one country are far better-behaved than people from another.
    Yes, I think there's a pretty significant difference between Saudi Arabian Muslims on the one hand, and Malaysian and Singaporean ones, or even Middle Class Iranian ones (see: The Shahs of Sunset) on the other.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,380

The tables are up for the Times/YouGov Scotland poll. It also asked how people would vote on the question of Scottish independence (brackets indicate change on last month). No 55% (+3%), Yes 45% (-3%).

It is not surprising that the leaders of the opposition parties are all chewing the carpet at the dominance that the SNP in general and Nicola in particular is still achieving despite this.
  • Options
    What a negotiator!

David Cameron's child benefit plan 'won't apply to EU nationals already in the UK'
    Millions of pounds of child benefit money sent abroad will continue, despite a promise to pay it at lower rates to EU migrants, The Telegraph understands

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/12141305/David-Camerons-child-benefit-plan-wont-apply-to-EU-nationals-already-in-the-UK.html
  • Options
    ''If the referendum doesn't go his way, I suppose he could trigger a by election and stand again''

Oh I accept he's a deeply flawed fellow. I'm just reflecting on the way events run.
  • Options
    X
    Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

I presume you now admit that Cameron's deal was a pile of second-hand pants, hence the lurch to LEAVE in response.

According to the Spectator, the deal was so bad - so utterly insubstantial - it left europhile Tory MPs a little shaken.

Your man, Cameron, fucked up badly. He misplayed expectations, and got out-negotiated, to boot.
    It was a very weak deal, but I still expect Remain to win. The fact that the Leave campaign do not have a single leader with a voice able to cut through is fatal for them.

They need someone with HUGE gravitas and charisma who could - if push came to shove - be PM leading a negotiation. The campaign needs that reassurance and trust element.

There is one very popular MP that is perfect for the job...
  • Options
    isam said:

X

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

Yeah, but I think Nick Clegg is going to campaign for Remain
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    Nick Clegg is going to campaign for Remain

That will be worth a sackload of votes for the other side, surely
  • Options
    Yes that was me. IIRC Syrians had a single digit offenders rate, those from Northern Africa et al were multiples higher in first year of arrival.

Can't recall the source but was from reliable mainstream data tweeter
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

FFS.

• Options
    runnymede said:

Nick Clegg is going to campaign for Remain

That will be worth a sackload of votes for the other side, surely

Who?
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    isam said:

X

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

I don't think there is. Boris may have charisma and reach, but is yet to develop reassuring gravitas. May is close to achieving gravitas, but does not do charisma yet and has questionable reach. All senior Labour and LD folk are Remain.

Who else? Lawson is too old.
  • Options
    runnymede said:

Cyclefree was right on this a few days ago. This should become an offence of strict liability, with any child found to have suffered this removed from the parents and the latter prosecuted automatically.

I agree re strict liability. If you child has been subjected to FGM, you are an accessory to GBH.

Just off the top of my head, by the way, the 109 minutes figure means that 5% of girls of any particular age cohort suffer FGM. That seems way high as FGM isn't anywhere near 100% even in the Muslim community.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

There was never going to be one single leader, because BREXIT is supported by people from all sides - far left to far right, and stations in between. Impossible to find a leader that could ally Farage and Galloway,

There won't, AFAIK, be any set TV debates where such a lack of leadership might be more of an issue. Cameron versus A Lightweight.

This is a very different kind of vote to a GE. It feels like the people versus the Establishment, even more than indyref. It will be won online, on social media, on grassroots leafletting and poster campaigns - and in the national press.
    You sound like Ed Milliband. Just like him, you are wrong. The campaign needs a leader capable of reach and reassurance.
  • Options

SkyNews

Apparently, 200,000,000 women have been cut up, but, happily, birth rates are still well above replacement rates in those countries (with plenty tens of millions to spare to assist in Europe's demographic crisis) ...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/health/almost-70m-more-women-than-previously-thought-are-estimated-to-h/?sf20405930=1
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    Roger said:

The two most interesting features of a 'Leave' vote would be the resignation of Dave and half his cabinet and the certainty of another Scottish referendum which would likely produce the opposite result to the last one.

My fear is that from becoming gradually more outward looking Endgland would revert to it's old xenophobia self again and the new cosmopolitan spirit that 's emanated from London would start to disappear.

I'm in France at the moment and that cosmopolitan feeling has always been here but it was much later coming to England and it would be a great sadness if we lost it

I share your desire that Britain not be xenophobic but really you protest too much. Britain has been a remarkably outward looking nation for much of its existence. A country that created an empire and sent its population all round the globe is not xenophobic and has always been pretty cosmopolitan. I think that will continue regardless of whether it is in or out of the EU.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

isam said:

X

Jonathan said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

I don't think there is. Boris may have charisma and reach, but is yet to develop reassuring gravitas. May is close to achieving gravitas, but does not do charisma yet and has questionable reach. All senior Labour and LD folk are Remain.

Who else? Lawson is too old.
    All you need to know the answer is contained in my post...
  • Options
    runnymede said:

Law of unintended consequences -- parents won't take FGM'd daughters to the doctor. Can more be done to wipe it out at source? There are not many countries or communities that practise FGM.
  • Options
    http://www.cityam.com/233915/former-pensions-minister-steve-webb-warns-chancellor-george-osborne-dont-become-the-ghost-of-gordon-brown

Its measure of how far to the left our 'conservative' chancellor has gone, that the outstanding lib dem Steve Webb has felt the need to pen this. That's a lib dem. Telling a tory chancellor not to hammer middle class pensions.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,895
    Interesting that so many Tory posters seem anxious that the ultimate libertarian Julian Lasange should be punished for letting the public know what goes on in our name.

When it comes to freedom of information rather than following the David Davis model the Stasi system is the prefered option among PB Cameroons
  • Options
    Roger said:

Interesting that so many Tory posters seem anxious that the ultimate libertarian Julian Lasange should be punished for letting the public know what goes on in our name.

When it comes to freedom of information rather than following the David Davis model the Stasi system is the prefered option among PB Cameroons

He's not being punished for that, he's being punished for not facing his accuser at trial in Sweden.
  • Options
    Talking of Islam, I discovered a couple of weeks ago that my grandfather was once Guardian of the Shrine of Iman Reza in Mashhad. I had no idea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imam_Reza_shrine
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Roger said:

Isn't Mr Assange free to leave the Embassy whenever he likes ? IIRC the Met don't have a presence outside the building anymore.
  • Options

Talking of Islam, I discovered a couple of weeks ago that my grandfather was once Guardian of the Shrine of Iman Reza in Mashhad. I had no idea.

That practically makes you Shia Royalty.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,380

Interestingly, while both Con (93) and SNP (92) retain their support from 2015 on the seat vote - unlike Lab (77) and LibD (65), when it comes to the List vote, only Con (93) holds up, while SNP (78) sees support fall to the same level as Lab (74) with the Greens (10) the main beneficiaries....

Meanwhile Nicola's stratospheric rating slips slightly to +30 (-8), but still comfortably ahead of Keiza at -18 (-5) and Ruth on +4 (+3).

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/xqh3y5ghb2/TimesResults_JanFeb16_ScotlandVI_Leaders_Tax_Fracking_Refugees_Website.pdf
    She is appealing to quite a lot of people who are not traditional tories, particularly women. I am not sure that has happened with a Scottish tory leader for decades. Annabelle Goldie as very good at making the Tories comfortable with themselves but had very little reach beyond that.

At the moment there are a number of Scots who were in the centre right, establishment wing of the Labour party, people who often held senior offices in local government and other public bodies. I know quite a few of these and they are in despair at what has happened to their party both in Scotland and with Corbyn. They are giving Davidson a listen.

They really don't like Tories but she does not sound like one or, increasingly, have a policy agenda like one either. It is early days but there is a chance. They are committed to the Union and unhappy with Labour's recent equivocation but Cameron's response to the SINDY result is still seen as a slap in the face. I am really not sure how this will go.

The much larger share of working class Labour have gone SNP and they are simply not coming back.
  • Options
    Roger said:

I thought you were in favour of the UK cooperating with Europe on justice? They are so much more liberal and civilised in Sweden than here, surely.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2016

I think I probably am. Rather lapsed, though!
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,055

Roger said:

He's not being punished for that, he's being punished for not facing his accuser at trial in Sweden.
    Is the Swedish warrant still “live”? If it is he really ought to face it, and we have a duty to our Swedish friends to pick him up if we can.
  • Options
    Regarding a "Vow" style intervention, is this possible in the EU referendum and, if so, what form might it take?

In the Indy ref it was enough to get Cameron, Clegg and Miliband to agree. In the EU ref it would, in theory, be necessary to get all the 27 heads of government to agree. Not going to happen over a weekend.

Might a Vow take the form of a mere pledge from Merkel, Hollande and Juncker? Not sure that would have any impact.

Also, what simple,.eye-catching stuff could be put into a Vow, which the rest of the EU would possibly agree to. I mean, some technocratic tinkering wouldn't work. It would have to be something big and simple.

I don't see that a Vow can be cooked up this time.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

SeanT said:

FFS.

I think part of it was demographics: many of the genuine Syrian refugees were families, while the economic migrants were 18-25 year old men. It wouldn't be surprising if the former group was less likely to commit crimes.
    Yes, that's definitely possible. Then again a lot of the Rotherham and Rochdale rape gangs were "family men".

It's a fundamental issue of the value Muslim men place on non-Muslims and women. Given that Syria was a nominally secular state under Assad senior and junior, it is possible that the inherent lower value placed on non-Muslims wasn't taught at schools like it is in other Muslim countries which could explain the difference.
  • Options

I think you have the ability to issue Fatwas and declare jihads.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

Roger said:

Is the Swedish warrant still “live”? If it is he really ought to face it, and we have a duty to our Swedish friends to pick him up if we can.
    I believe there is an outstanding warrant for his arrest there. Not to mention he broke the conditions of his bail, and could probably be tried in this country.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited February 2016
    Wanderer said:

Regarding a "Vow" style intervention, is this possible in the EU referendum and, if so, what form might it take?

In the Indy ref it was enough to get Cameron, Clegg and Miliband to agree. In the EU ref it would, in theory, be necessary to get all the 27 heads of government to agree. Not going to happen over a weekend.

Might a Vow take the form of a mere pledge from Merkel, Hollande and Juncker? Not sure that would have any impact.

Also, what simple,.eye-catching stuff could be put into a Vow, which the rest of the EU would possibly agree to. I mean, some technocratic tinkering wouldn't work. It would have to be something big and simple.

That would be M Juncker who said something about having to lie when required? Or have I got that wrong?
  • Options

Good point. I hadn't thought of that. Anyone who needs a fatwa should send me a Vanillamail.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Typical small mindedness Roger. Only Paris is vaguely cosmopolitan. Most of rural France is decidely introspective, the kind of place where the echangistes sleep with their other sister.
    If you walk down a street in even a middling sized English town and you hear people speaking Polish/French/German/ etc it's likely to be commented on. That's not the case in even the smallest of French towns. Lets say Ludlow-en-Loire. On the 'Peage' if you need to speak to anyone they allow you to choose your language. 'As for exchangistes' swapping for the other sister; villages will be villages!
    What utter twaddle!

In the small village in the Lake District where my husband's family are, a village so small and distant that the next landfall is America, there have been Czech and Polish immigrants since before the war as well as, more recently, Kurds. No-one would comment in the way you suggest.

Don't assume that everyone - even in the "dreaded sticks" - is as narrow-minded as you appear to be about your countrymen.

Mind you, while they embrace Eastern Europeans they can be pretty scathing about pompous Metropolitan types.
  • Options

I still think I'm more of a lapsed Muslim than you!
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,895
    Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

I share your desire that Britain not be xenophobic but really you protest too much. Britain has been a remarkably outward looking nation for much of its existence. A country that created an empire and sent its population all round the globe is not xenophobic and has always been pretty cosmopolitan. I think that will continue regardless of whether it is in or out of the EU.
    I half agree but I listened to a phone-in on radio 5 yesterday and it was quite depressing. The overwhelming sense I got was either a fear of foreigners behaviour or a fear that the old country would lose its character.

Things have changed so noticably for the better in the last two decades that I fear those phone-inners will start to assert themselves in the event of 'leave' winning.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

I share your desire that Britain not be xenophobic but really you protest too much. Britain has been a remarkably outward looking nation for much of its existence.
    Its complete horsefeathers.

I worked for an American multinational for two decades.

By orders of magnitude the easiest people to shift from their home countries were the British and the Dutch. They moved, they adapted and enjoyed it.

Americans were in the middle - OK for a couple of years, but were attached to America and counted the days to get home.

The French were among the worst (with Parisians the worst of all) - when you could get them to move (which was rare) they were the highest maintenance expats - 'abroad' just simply wasn't as good as France (the British & Dutch usually quickly worked out that it was 'different' and made the most of it).....
  • Options
    Roger said:

Savile's apologist speaks.....
  • Options
    Roger said:

I understood that he was wanted in Sweden on sex crime charges? Or does 'being on the right side' mean you don't have to answer for allegations of that sort?
  • Options

Roger said:

According to the Guardian article linked earlier - Three of the four alleged offences, dating back to 2010, now took place too long ago for Mr Assange to face prosecution. But there is an outstanding accusation of rape that the Swedish authorities can pursue until 2020.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    edited February 2016

Roger said:

@ Roger: He's not being punished at all. He is voluntarily holed up in the Embassy as his choice to avoid charges against him for rape.

I am a libertarian, and am vehemently against the invasions of privacy that the NSA rawling exercise became, and GCHQ's new powers would also entail. I actually believe that there is a price in lives (lost to terrorism) society should be prepared to pay in order to protect our individual civil and political rights, especially the right to privacy.

Assange may have represented some of those views at some point. But at best it was a very warped and twisted view of that. To a far greater extent, I think he is driven by ego and a God complex - with splashy headline getting exposes more important to him than true libertarian values.

Some of his releases of communications have clearly served no libertarian purpose, but other agendas. And avoiding rape charges certainly is not a libertarian value.

So don't wrap him up in some cloak of libertarian heroism. It does not fit.
  • Options
    Mr. StClare, what about being pursued by us for breach of bail conditions?
  • Options

Roger said:

According to the Guardian article linked earlier - Three of the four alleged offences, dating back to 2010, now took place too long ago for Mr Assange to face prosecution. But there is an outstanding accusation of rape that the Swedish authorities can pursue until 2020.
    I thought it was "Sex by Surprise" rather than rape.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,583
    edited February 2016
    Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

I half agree but I listened to a phone-in on radio 5 yesterday and it was quite depressing. The overwhelming sense I got was either a fear of foreigners behaviour or a fear that the old country would lose its character.

Things have changed so noticably for the better in the last two decades that I fear those phone-inners will start to assert themselves in the event of 'leave' winning.
    Roger, in the recent past, the captain of the England cricket team was a Muslim immigrant from India.

One of the likely contenders to be next Tory leader (and PM!) is the son of a Muslim immigrant.

This country isn't the KKK hold out you think it is.

Tory leader, PM and England cricket captain are the three most exalted jobs in this country. We just don't give them to anyone.
  • Options
    Court News
    'She's been very, very stupid. In fact no amount of adverbs qualify it enough'... Counsel clutching at straws
  • Options

Mr. StClare, what about being pursued by us for breach of bail conditions?

He’s cost the country enough already - I think the UK would be happier to stick him on a fast plane to Stockholm and be rid of him once and for all.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

What a negotiator!

David Cameron's child benefit plan 'won't apply to EU nationals already in the UK'
    Millions of pounds of child benefit money sent abroad will continue, despite a promise to pay it at lower rates to EU migrants, The Telegraph understands

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/12141305/David-Camerons-child-benefit-plan-wont-apply-to-EU-nationals-already-in-the-UK.html

Lol. The "deal" is quickly unravelling.
  • Options
    I remember when Assange was originally refused bail. I was having dinner with a lawyer friend with whom I share an interest in civil liberties and we both agreed it was a complete disgrace as obviously Assange posed no flight risk.

So, that was a load of shit :)
  • Options

Roger said:

Just a correction. He is not being sought for trial as he has never been charged. He is wanted for questioning. Whilst personally I think he should go back to Sweden one has to ask why it is in this one case that the prosecutors won't travel to the UK to question him when they apparently do so in dozens of other cases.
  • Options

Roger said:

Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

Roger, in the recent past, the captain of the England cricket team was a Muslim immigrant from India.

One of the likely contenders to be next Tory leader (and PM!) is the son of a Muslim immigrant.

This country isn't the KKK hold out you think it is.

Tory leader, PM and England cricket captain are the three most exalted jobs in this country. We just don't give them to anyone.
    Can Javid bat?
  • Options
    What's going on with Kezia? Her ratings are pants.
    DavidL said:

She is appealing to quite a lot of people who are not traditional tories, particularly women. I am not sure that has happened with a Scottish tory leader for decades. Annabelle Goldie as very good at making the Tories comfortable with themselves but had very little reach beyond that.

At the moment there are a number of Scots who were in the centre right, establishment wing of the Labour party, people who often held senior offices in local government and other public bodies. I know quite a few of these and they are in despair at what has happened to their party both in Scotland and with Corbyn. They are giving Davidson a listen.

They really don't like Tories but she does not sound like one or, increasingly, have a policy agenda like one either. It is early days but there is a chance. They are committed to the Union and unhappy with Labour's recent equivocation but Cameron's response to the SINDY result is still seen as a slap in the face. I am really not sure how this will go.

The much larger share of working class Labour have gone SNP and they are simply not coming back.
  • Options
    This is worrying. ISIS are getting fighters into Europe:

www.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0VE0XL
  • Options
    :lol:

Good point. I hadn't thought of that. Anyone who needs a fatwa should send me a Vanillamail.
  • Options

This is worrying. ISIS are getting fighters into Europe:

www.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0VE0XL

Well, we are exporting fighters to ISIS.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    ROGER your eye for detail is truly astounding..WTF is Julian Lasange..
    Julian Assange has been accused of a serious sex crime in
    Sweden..and has hidden himself away to avoid the trial..He is free to leave the Embassy at any time and the UK authorities are duty bound to arrest him and deport him to Sweden...sod all to do with Wikileaks...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Very relevantly, the EU parliament president (Speaker? Chair? CEO? Head shaman?) Martin Schulz is putting a big German spoke in the wheels of the "deal".

@traynorbrussels 3m3 minutes ago
    #brexit @schulz on cameron deal - emergency brake effectively discriminatory

The European Parliament won't even ratify the pitiful pledges Cameron brought home t'other day.

It's not news. If it weren't discriminatory - the UK could just do it. We wouldn't need a renegotiation.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Have you seen what Schulz is saying this morning?

Faisal Islam
    Also Schulz tells @skynews "nothing is irreversible" when I ask if the EU deal is, as the PM has argued "legally binding and irreversible"

Given he's EU president, he's dumping all over our draft deal.
    welshowl said:

Wanderer said:

That would be M Juncker who said something about having to lie when required? Or have I got that wrong?
This discussion has been closed.