Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » You’ve read the blogs, listened to the podcasts – now watch

Comments

• Options
    Tim_B said:

slade said:

Tim_B said:

Moses_ said:

O/T, but I want to sing the praises of a much maligned organisation - The Railways

Just back from a three day trip which due to eyesight was done by train, mostly by Virgin Trains , not only on the help - don't get that at Heathrow), was magnificent.

The railways in the UK get a lot of stick, and I have in the past been a wielder of that stick. Commuter lines into London are still sub-par, I'll accept but, by Jove, inter-city travel has come a very long way.

P.S. St Pancras International is a spiffing place and the cafe-bar where the dreadlocks bloke parked me for a while was excellent (trappist beer and a comfortable club chair).

St Pancras is fab. I've spent far too much time in Searcys
    About a month ago, I actually managed to reach Manchester Piccadilly, finally (I reached Alderley Edge four years ago), albeit via Congleton and Macclesfield.
    Almost reached your destination? TBF that sounds like a FGW service
    :lol:
    I still have to do Alderley Edge to Cheadle Hulme. Oh and then there's the Manchester Airport branch too (via Gatley).
    About a dozen years ago I went from Pannal to Manchester Airport and after my trip the reverse.

We stopped at a station in Bradford which seems to be a dead end - you go in forwards then back out.
    Are you sure it wasn't Wakefield?
    No - Bradford Interchange.

Like Wakefield, Bradford has two stations (Forster Square and Interchange), but whereas Wakefield's are both through lines, Bradford's are both dead ends. However, while all services to Forster Sq terminate there, the Interchange is on the Calder Valley line with trains from Lancashire through to Leeds and beyond (and vice versa), which, as you say, means reversing the direction of the train's travel as you come in and out.
    I was on the 'Trans Pennine Express' - a misnomer if ever there was one, up there with the Long Island Expressway.

It just seemed odd to pull into a station, and then go out the same way you came in.
    Also happens at:

Eastbourne (Ashford to Brighton, London to Hastings)
    Derby (Birmingham to Nottingham)
    Grantham (Nottingham to Skegness)
    Manchester Airport (Crewe to Manchester)
    Sheffield (Norwich to Liverpool)
    Worcester Shrub Hill (Birmingham to Hereford)

and perhaps quite a few other locations
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771

Mr. Rentool, my historical comparison of Osborne and Antigonus Monopthalmus is nothing short of magnificent.

They even share the same habits of rewarding loyalty well, and being harsh towards enemies.

Was Antigonus Monopthalmus also totally shit at running an economy ?
  • Options
    Speedy said:

3 hours left to see who's right, the Phone polls or the Online polls with the EU ref.:

https://www.nojam.com/post/550

Strictly limited to PB'ers of course.
    Don't forget Phone polls have Tory voters and old people choosing Remain, Online polls have them choosing Leave.

And since 80% of PB'ers are Tory and over the age of 50, lets see who is more accurate.

99.9% of statistics are made up on the spot :lol:
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,661

Danny565 said:

Are they actually moderates that they're bombing, or is it the Cameron definition of "moderates" which includes the al-Nusra Front and the like? (Genuine question)
    I don't think Russia are very picky. If you aren't with Assad, you are a terrorist...
    If I you started blowing people up in the interests of bringing down the state using a suitcase of foreign money, what would you expect to be called? But by all means highlight any moderate group in Syria, and we can all have a look at their activities and decide if we agree.

It's standard spin. When your side wins, they win. When they other side wins, it's a humanitarian disaster, it's all civilians, it's indiscriminate slaughter, its people starving under seige, etc.
  • Options
    Mr. Brooke, such domestic information is limited, as this happened about twenty-four centuries ago. However, he appears to have been pretty sound on that front.

My most recent blog was a review of an Antigonus biography:
    http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/antigonus-one-eyed-by-jeff-champion.html
  • Options
    jayfdee said:

One for our train enthusiasts,my back garden is adjacent to the West coast line, and the Scotsman has been past a few times now.

Where along the West Coast? I travel between Coventry and London on Mondays and Fridays.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

Tim_B said:

slade said:

Tim_B said:

Moses_ said:

O/T, but I want to sing the praises of a much maligned organisation - The Railways

Just back from a three day trip which due to eyesight was done by train, mostly by Virgin Trains , not only on the help - don't get that at Heathrow), was magnificent.

The railways in the UK get a lot of stick, and I have in the past been a wielder of that stick. Commuter lines into London are still sub-par, I'll accept but, by Jove, inter-city travel has come a very long way.

P.S. St Pancras International is a spiffing place and the cafe-bar where the dreadlocks bloke parked me for a while was excellent (trappist beer and a comfortable club chair).

St Pancras is fab. I've spent far too much time in Searcys
    About a month ago, I actually managed to reach Manchester Piccadilly, finally (I reached Alderley Edge four years ago), albeit via Congleton and Macclesfield.
    Almost reached your destination? TBF that sounds like a FGW service
    :lol:
    I still have to do Alderley Edge to Cheadle Hulme. Oh and then there's the Manchester Airport branch too (via Gatley).
    About a dozen years ago I went from Pannal to Manchester Airport and after my trip the reverse.

We stopped at a station in Bradford which seems to be a dead end - you go in forwards then back out.

Like Wakefield, Bradford has two stations (Forster Square and Interchange), but whereas Wakefield's are both through lines, Bradford's are both dead ends. However, while all services to Forster Sq terminate there, the Interchange is on the Calder Valley line with trains from Lancashire through to Leeds and beyond (and vice versa), which, as you say, means reversing the direction of the train's travel as you come in and out.
    I was on the 'Trans Pennine Express' - a misnomer if ever there was one, up there with the Long Island Expressway.

It just seemed odd to pull into a station, and then go out the same way you came in.
    Also happens at:

Eastbourne (Ashford to Brighton, London to Hastings)
    Derby (Birmingham to Nottingham)
    Grantham (Nottingham to Skegness)
    Manchester Airport (Crewe to Manchester)
    Sheffield (Norwich to Liverpool)
    Worcester Shrub Hill (Birmingham to Hereford)

and perhaps quite a few other locations
    I get it that Ringway is a terminus. But you don't expect a downtown station in a big city to be like that.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,149

The reason why Leave want to go is because it's extremely hard to get unanimous agreement with 27 other parties.

I thought the complaint was that unanimous agreement wasn't necessary with QMV, so we don't have a veto.

In any case, I was referring to the tiresome conspiracy theories. What we are seeing with the negotiations is not a stitch-up, or a sham, or EU countries reneging on a deal, it's the inevitable result of having to negotiate with 27 other countries. I expect it will go to an all-night session, as always happens (not only in EU summits, of course).
    It doesn't seem to make any difference. Up to May 2014 - the last time we have any data for - the UK had never successfully opposed a QMV vote in the Council of Ministers. 55 times we opposed a measure and 55 times we lost.
    This is tautological. Under QMV, the (suitably qualified) majority wins, yes? So stating that the UK lost when it was in a QM minority is non-informative: it's just restating the definition of QMV. Country X loses when it's in a QM minority and wins when it's in a QM majority, and that is true for all values of X.

If you're interested in things like measuring the level of influence of the UK in the EU, then Simon Hix is usually the go-to chap. He's in the LSE and does all the big analysis sums. He did a series of articles on UK-EU influence[1]

[1] http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2015/11/16/uk-influence-in-europe-series-is-the-uk-at-the-top-table-in-eu-negotiations/

• Options

Speedy said:

3 hours left to see who's right, the Phone polls or the Online polls with the EU ref.:

https://www.nojam.com/post/550

Strictly limited to PB'ers of course.
    Don't forget Phone polls have Tory voters and old people choosing Remain, Online polls have them choosing Leave.

And since 80% of PB'ers are Tory and over the age of 50, lets see who is more accurate.

99.9% of statistics are made up on the spot :lol:
    Ahem.
  • Options

jayfdee said:

One for our train enthusiasts,my back garden is adjacent to the West coast line, and the Scotsman has been past a few times now.

Where along the West Coast? I travel between Coventry and London on Mondays and Fridays.
    I've not been in the UK for a while, but I don't recall either Coventry or London being on the west coast. :lol:
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,958

Mr. Rentool, my historical comparison of Osborne and Antigonus Monopthalmus is nothing short of magnificent.

They even share the same habits of rewarding loyalty well, and being harsh towards enemies.

Oh dear. And there was me thinking the manufacturing PMIs would cheer you up.

Incidentally, having started my business growth in a recession, I am still uber cautious when making stock purchases, cash flow management and growth plans. Often wondered how hard it must be to cope with recessions if your business started in a boom.
  • Options
    Lennon said:

slade said:

Tim_B said:

Taking a quick look at a map - is there any mileage in connecting the 2 and allowing through trains in both directions? Would enable things like Halifax - Bradford - Shipley - Leeds or Halifax - Keighley via Bradford. Certainly doens't look obviously problematic on a map (massive car park might need to be removed but...)
    This is something that's been talked about in Bradford for decades but won't happen, partly because of the practical difficulties and partly because the routes it'd open up wouldn't justify the cost.

To connect the two lines would mean either rebuilding the lines from some distance out of Forster Sq or demolishing large parts of central Bradford (some of which have only just been built). Also problematic is that the Interchange is a good deal higher than Forster Sq so the line would need raising even where it currently is - which would then have a knock-on effect on existing bridges over the line.

All of which would be to link up parts of W Yorks that people don't travel between all that much. Now, you might argue that they *would* travel more if there was the service to do it, and that's perhaps true, but the numbers would be unlikely to justify a cost I last saw as top-side of £100m and probably - given the new shopping centre in Bradford - a good deal more now. If that money is going spare, I'd rather it was spent on lengthening the platforms on the commuter lines to take six-coach trains so that when the Pacer sets are finally replaced, the operator can order 3-coach sets and double them up in the mornings.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2016
    viewcode said:

If you're interested in things like measuring the level of influence of the UK in the EU, then Simon Hix is usually the go-to chap. He's in the LSE and does all the big analysis sums. He did a series of articles on UK-EU influence

Interesting, thanks. There's a link in that article to one specifically on voting in the EU Council:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/datablog/2015/nov/02/is-uk-winner-or-loser-european-council

It supports the view that (since 2009) we have been outvoted more often than other countries in the Council, though how you interpret that data is another matter. As the author says:

- The council overwhelmingly decides by consensus, which means the UK is on the winning majority side almost 87% of the time.

- The UK government might be more willing than other governments to publicly register its opposition to EU decisions.

- The data does not tell us what went on behind the scenes on each of these issues, and hence how much the UK disagreed with the majority position when it recorded its opposition – perhaps the UK was on the winning side on all the key issues it really cared about in this period.
  • Options
    Imagine how we would be treated the day after we voted to stay in..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7wkpGgYLIRs
  • Options
    I am reminded that Hopkins' ward is also in Ogmore constituency

Labour shortlist for Ogmore

Chris Elmore (VoG Cllr)
    Christine Gwyther (former Carmarthen West and South Pembrokeshire AM)
    Geraint Hopkins (Rhondda Cllr)
    Alex Owen (Bridgend Cllr, Penprysg ward, it's within the constituency boundaries)

• Options
    Tim_B said:

jayfdee said:

I've not been in the UK for a while, but I don't recall either Coventry or London being on the west coast. :lol:
    West Coast Main Line he said. The main line out of London Euston towards the West Midlands, Manchester, Lancashire and Glasgow.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

The reason why Leave want to go is because it's extremely hard to get unanimous agreement with 27 other parties.

I thought the complaint was that unanimous agreement wasn't necessary with QMV, so we don't have a veto.

In any case, I was referring to the tiresome conspiracy theories. What we are seeing with the negotiations is not a stitch-up, or a sham, or EU countries reneging on a deal, it's the inevitable result of having to negotiate with 27 other countries. I expect it will go to an all-night session, as always happens (not only in EU summits, of course).
    It doesn't seem to make any difference. Up to May 2014 - the last time we have any data for - the UK had never successfully opposed a QMV vote in the Council of Ministers. 55 times we opposed a measure and 55 times we lost.
    This is tautological. Under QMV, the (suitably qualified) majority wins, yes? So stating that the UK lost when it was in a QM minority is non-informative: it's just restating the definition of QMV. Country X loses when it's in a QM minority and wins when it's in a QM majority, and that is true for all values of X.

If you're interested in things like measuring the level of influence of the UK in the EU, then Simon Hix is usually the go-to chap. He's in the LSE and does all the big analysis sums. He did a series of articles on UK-EU influence[1]

[1] http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2015/11/16/uk-influence-in-europe-series-is-the-uk-at-the-top-table-in-eu-negotiations/

It is not a tautology. I didn't say they lost when they were in a minority. I said they lost every time they opposed a measure. It is entirely possible to oppose a measure and to create a majority which supports you. This is something the UK have never managed to do.

I am very familiar with the work of Simon Hix. In fact I have been reading his blog on this very subject this afternoon. It goes some way to answering Richard N's question concerning Germany. The UK has lost 12.3% of the total votes in the last 6 years - every one they have opposed. Germany is the next highest loser having lost 5.4% of the votes. There is no data on how many measures they opposed but won with allies.

Interestingly the votes the UK lost were generally concerning the Budget, Foreign and security policy, Agriculture, Justice and Home affairs and Social policy - all areas which I would contend are not much to do with the single market and so should be areas where we should be making our own decisions, not having them imposed on us.
  • Options

Indigo said:

Bugger other countries. As a Brit you should be concerned, if not furious, that in all the times your country attempted to except its influence, it failed, all of them, and then REMAIN have the cheek and effrontery to come here and talk about our influence in the EU.

Err, as a sane Brit, I realise that the figures Richard T quoted do not show that every time my country attempted to exercise its influence, it failed.

Really, there are plenty of things to complain about regarding the EU, without undermining your argument with silliness.
    No, what they show is that every time we got to the point where we fundamentally opposed a measure we lost.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Incidentally, having started my business growth in a recession, I am still uber cautious when making stock purchases, cash flow management and growth plans. Often wondered how hard it must be to cope with recessions if your business started in a boom.
    LOL manufacturing PMIs are inspite of GO not because.

On the other hand Carney has just downgraded the economy and we also learnt we wont eliminate the deficit by 2020.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

No, what they show is that every time we got to the point where we fundamentally opposed a measure we lost.

Interesting that Germany (with Austria) was the next most likely to lose a vote. I don't think anyone claims that Germany doesn't have much influence on the EU!
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited February 2016

I cannot see the following happening but interesting they are even considering it:
    Already, ministers in other EU governments are planning to call in some favours. One has already made clear to The Spectator that once this referendum is done, Britain will be expected to take in our ‘share’ of the hundreds of thousands of refugees waiting to be settled in Europe.
    http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/02/why-eurosceptics-arent-making-the-most-of-camerons-duff-eu-deal/
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Alanbrooke..It was one hell of a deficit..got any idea who else could have reduced it..
  • Options

Interesting that Germany (with Austria) was the next most likely to lose a vote. I don't think anyone claims that Germany doesn't have much influence on the EU!
    As someone already said, you really are scraping the barrel here Richard. Accept it, according to the figures we do worse than any other country by a very long way when it comes to QMV. And if you look at the data it is all in areas where we really shouldn't even have the EU interfering (EU budget excepted which of course wouldn't be an issue if we weren't in)
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

Tim_B said:

jayfdee said:

West Coast Main Line he said. The main line out of London Euston towards the West Midlands, Manchester, Lancashire and Glasgow.
    Nope
    To the west is Paddington and the Tamar. Well ok the south west if you are going to be pedantic

:wink:
  • Options
    edited February 2016

As someone already said, you really are scraping the barrel here Richard. Accept it, according to the figures we do worse than any other country by a very long way when it comes to QMV. And if you look at the data it is all in areas where we really shouldn't even have the EU interfering (EU budget excepted which of course wouldn't be an issue if we weren't in)

I do accept that (both parts of what you say). When did I ever say otherwise?
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,079

Badly, is the answer. You can blame PB's beloved Conservative Party for that greatest ever strategic cock-up on British EU policy.

See it from the Continental perspective and the reasonable belief is that after giving so much time and space for Cameron to hold a referendum, in which his desired outcome equals essentially no change to the status quo, payback time is to be expected.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

On the other hand Carney has just downgraded the economy and we also learnt we wont eliminate the deficit by 2020.
    Like PFI's .....labour governments take a lot of "unwinding"
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,079

Mortimer said:

Come on, be reasonable, it'll only have been 10 years, how much can you be expected to get done in 10 years?
  • Options

viewcode said:

It is not a tautology. I didn't say they lost when they were in a minority. I said they lost every time they opposed a measure. It is entirely possible to oppose a measure and to create a majority which supports you. This is something the UK have never managed to do.

I am very familiar with the work of Simon Hix. In fact I have been reading his blog on this very subject this afternoon. It goes some way to answering Richard N's question concerning Germany. The UK has lost 12.3% of the total votes in the last 6 years - every one they have opposed. Germany is the next highest loser having lost 5.4% of the votes. There is no data on how many measures they opposed but won with allies.

Interestingly the votes the UK lost were generally concerning the Budget, Foreign and security policy, Agriculture, Justice and Home affairs and Social policy - all areas which I would contend are not much to do with the single market and so should be areas where we should be making our own decisions, not having them imposed on us.
    Ah, I see, thank you.

So: if we use "percentage of votes lost in last 6 years" as the statistic to measure influence, then UK is first at 12.3%, Germany is second at 5.4%, and so on
    Conversely, if we use "number of votes opposed by X and not carried" then UK is at 55: I assume (but do not know) that this is a high figure compared to other countries?
  • Options

Accepting figures is not something Richard is able to do easily especially if it risks going against the story being pushed by CCHQ. I think he still refuses to accept Osborne paid that £1.7bn bill from the EU in full.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Mortimer said:

ROFL this is getting as bad as all the labourites who had to endlessly preach 17 years of Tory misrule as their excuse.

Face up to it chaps the man aint up to the day job.

He's in the job for as long as it took to fight World War 2 and still can't deliver a win.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Accepting figures is not something Richard is able to do easily

Unlike you, I can read.

I refer you to my post of 7.09pm
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,214
    Jeb Bush and Christie team up to attack Rubio in New Hampshire

'Frustrated and flailing as his candidacy threatens to slip away, Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey is embarking on a scalding effort over the next week to discredit Senator Marco Rubio of Florida, the man he blames for undermining his campaign and whose ascendancy he deeply resents.
    And Mr. Christie has a secret ally: Jeb Bush…
    Members of the Bush and Christie campaigns have communicated about their mutual desire to halt Mr. Rubio’s rise in the polls, according to Republican operatives familiar with the conversations. While emails, texts and phone calls between operatives in rival campaigns are not uncommon in the tight-knit world of political strategists, the contact between senior aides in the two campaigns has drifted toward musings about what can be done to stop or at least slow Mr. Rubio, the operatives said.
    In a sign of a budding alliance, the aides have, for example, exchanged news articles that raise potential areas of vulnerability for Mr. Rubio.'
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/05/us/politics/chris-christie-and-jeb-bush-team-up-against-boy-in-the-bubble-marco-rubio.html?ref=politics&_r=1
  • Options
    EPG said:

Mortimer said:

Come on, be reasonable, it'll only have been 10 years, how much can you be expected to get done in 10 years?
    Not a lot clearly.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

No doubt Trump and Cruz will be joining in as well.
  • Options

MP_SE said:

Accepting figures is not something Richard is able to do easily

Unlike you, I can read.

I refer you to my post of 7.09pm
    Did we pay the bill in full????
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Moses_ said:

Mortimer said:

ROFL this is getting as bad as all the labourites who had to endlessly preach 17 years of Tory misrule as their excuse.

He's in the job for as long as it took to fight World War 2 and still can't deliver a win.
    Of course it is...it's all bollox. He isn't

Meanwhile I have found another superb site for political discussion and discourse

http://www.railwayforum.net/
    :wink:

• Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Ah, I see, thank you.

So: if we use "percentage of votes lost in last 6 years" as the statistic to measure influence, then UK is first at 12.3%, Germany is second at 5.4%, and so on
    Conversely, if we use "number of votes opposed by X and not carried" then UK is at 55: I assume (but do not know) that this is a high figure compared to other countries?
    Yep. That is it. And I agree I have no idea how that compares to other countries (though of course it must be more than any other country since even if they lost every one they opposed it would still be less than half the absolute number we lost).

But the real point here is that however many votes other countries lost, almost all of these issues we lost votes on were matters which we should not even have been allowing others to have a say over.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

HYUFD said:

No doubt Trump and Cruz will be joining in as well.
    When they take a break from attacking each other maybe! However it does show that the GOP establishment is divided and not yet willing to agree on a unity candidate and that will only help Trump next Tuesday
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:
    Yes it was quite embarrassing.

It's similar to asking Hillary Clinton supporters about her achievements. The response is much the same.
  • Options

EPG said:

Mortimer said:

Not a lot clearly.
    Apples and pears

It took Labour at least 13 years to trash the joint.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

EPG said:

Mortimer said:

Not a lot clearly.
    Apples and pears

No more labour boom and bust.

This time Geoirge is skipping out the boom and just hanging around for the bust.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:
    Yes, we are presently debating a referendum for which no date has yet to be determined and negotiations essentially to get a comma moved here or there which will convince no one, least of all antis but might allow Cameron to swing a handful of the most undecided Cameron lovers to back Remain!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,691
    edited February 2016

Moses_ said:

Mortimer said:

I find your lack in Ozzymandias, King of Kings, truly disturbing.

In less than six years he's halved the deficit, had record breaking employment, just look at those PMIs*, he's already destroyed the Lib Dems, and riven Labour mad to the point where they elect Jeremy Corbyn as leader.

If George could walk on water, you'd be criticising him for not being able to swim.

Be honest, what did the Osbornes do to the Brookes in Northern Ireland. Did they play a flute outside your bog** or something.

*What is a PMI? Is it something a woman gets, I know over 50 is good.

**That isn't racist stereotyping about the Irish.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,027
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:
    Yes, we are presently debating a referendum for which no date has yet to be determined and negotiations essentially to get a comma moved here or there which will convince no one, least of all antis but might allow Cameron to swing a handful of the most undecided Cameron lovers to back Remain!
    The only people the renegotiation will "convince" are Dave's cabinet colleagues :D. The country was in favour of staying in Europe anyway, and that I can't see changing.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

rcs1000 said:

It's similar to asking Hillary Clinton supporters about her achievements. The response is much the same.
    Winning the nomination of a major party in an open year without serious opposition is an extraordinary political achievement.

Oh, you mean something she's done for the good of the country or beyond?
  • Options
    Farage on Twitter

Now been at a standstill for 90 mins on the A1. #bbcqt doubtful. Damn.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

rcs1000 said:

Winning the nomination of a major party in an open year without serious opposition is an extraordinary political achievement.

After the Obama years, the Democratic Party is hard left and frankly bereft of talent. If Hillary is the best they've got then the party is in serious trouble. Her only potential competition is the James Comey Primary.
  • Options
    Might watch QT now.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:
    The only people the renegotiation will "convince" are Dave's cabinet colleagues :D. The country was in favour of staying in Europe anyway, and that I can't see changing.
    The country is split about 51% Remain 49% Leave short of any major renegotiation and that is the result I expect
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Mortimer said:

In less than six years he's halved the deficit, had record breaking employment, just look at those PMIs*, he's already destroyed the Lib Dems, and riven Labour mad to the point where they elect Jeremy Corbyn as leader.

If George could walk on water, you'd be criticising him for not being able to swim.

Be honest, what did the Osbornes do to the Brookes in Northern Ireland. Did they play a flute outside your bog** or something.

Cant you just find a use for him outside the Treasury - door stop, traffic cone that kind of thing. Just park him somewhere away from the economy.

Or lend him to France.;
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022

Farage on Twitter

Those bloody immigrants! ;)
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,211

Tim_B said:

rcs1000 said:

She can run her own email server. I bet Trump couldn't do that.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Mortimer said:

Cant you just find a use for him outside the Treasury - door stop, traffic cone that kind of thing. Just park him somewhere away from the economy.

Or lend him to France.;
    That would raise the productivity of both countries.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Mortimer said:

Or lend him to France.;
    This'll be the reaction in the UK if we sent him to France

http://youtu.be/ccsNr9UJeVY
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Moses_ said:

Mortimer said:

Or lend him to France.;
    That would raise the productivity of both countries.
    You used the P word :-)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Tim_B said:

rcs1000 said:

She can run her own email server. I bet Trump couldn't do that.
    If he did it would be Yuge!
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Moses_ said:

Mortimer said:

Or lend him to France.;

Outpourings of grief for the calamity we are about to inflict on our dear neighbours
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Mortimer said:

Or lend him to France.;

youtu.be/ccsNr9UJeVY
    A fitting reaction to the loss of the country's most beloved heir-to-a-baronetcy.
  • Options

Farage on Twitter

Dougie's paid someone to 'break down'.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Mortimer said:

Or lend him to France.;

Outpourings of grief for the calamity we are about to inflict on our dear neighbours
    France our dear neighbours ?

Really? I mean really ?
  • Options

Moses_ said:

EPG said:

Mortimer said:

Not a lot clearly.
    Apples and pears

No more labour boom and bust.

This time Geoirge is skipping out the boom and just hanging around for the bust.
    Yup !

Just Like the master clunking fist except this time with oil revenues as they are ......it's just boom and combust
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Mortimer said:

Or lend him to France.;

The guy at 1:21 looked like he was laughing.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Mortimer said:

Or lend him to France.;

Really? I mean really ?
    My son is currently dating a french countess. I have to be nice to them.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

rcs1000 said:

After the Obama years, the Democratic Party is hard left and frankly bereft of talent. If Hillary is the best they've got then the party is in serious trouble. Her only potential competition is the James Comey Primary.
    If Hillary has any sense she will pick a charismatic young Hispanic like Julian Castro, the US Housing Secretary, as her VP if she does win the nomination and beat Sanders. The fact the present GOP national poll leader is a billionaire who has not held one elected office as a Republican, not even dogcatcher, suggests the GOP field is not exactly filled with acres of talent either!
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Mortimer said:

Be honest, what did the Osbornes do to

Or lend him to France.;

Really? I mean really ?
    Invite them round and watch a French film together.

I recommend Last Tango In Paris.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:
    The country is split about 51% Remain 49% Leave short of any major renegotiation and that is the result I expect
    I expect at the moment a much heavier Leave defeat.

People talk Leave but will end up being big jessies and voting Remain.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Mortimer said:

Or lend him to France.;

Really? I mean really ?

you're just trying to butter me up
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,808
    edited February 2016
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:
    All of us are in favour of staying in Europe, aren't we?

The EU is a bit like a f**king awful current account where the bank constantly overcharges you, pays no interest, and screws you over time after time - and laughs at you: everyone hates it, moans about it, and wants to switch to another much better nicer bank, but no-one can't be arsed* with the hassle and they're all a bit scared about the possible downsides of switching.

(*I am currently on hold with First Direct as I'm switching my bank account to them from Santander and clocking a £150 bonus in the process)
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Moses_ said:

Mortimer said:

No Tory Government has passed on a Budget Surplus to a Labour Government.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    FPT:

Yes, people will live longer and, therefore, the Oldies will have more electoral clout.

Except, we equate Oldies with Pensioners. That will change too, otherwise, all developed countries will head towards bankruptcy.

The pensionable age will be possibly 70 by the time 2050 comes. Under 70, they will still be taxpayers.

Also, the state pension will become less and less relevant except for the poor. They will be clobbered. Perfect for Tories.

To some extent this geriatric bias can and will be corrected by giving 16 year olds the right to vote.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

No, the higher older turnout, even with graduates for Remain and the anti establishment mood will, as in Scotland see Leave get 45%+ and the renegotiations are not enough to change that. While I expect Remain to win overall across the UK I expect Leave to win England outside of London
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Mortimer said:

Or lend him to France.;

Really? I mean really ?

you're just trying to butter me up
    What about Rohmer ? Surely, the "new wave" is now "old wave".
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Remain 60 - 40 Leave !
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

What sort of talk is that, Mr. Brooke? As a young man I shagged a French bird too, but it didn't stop my father from knowing right from wrong!.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,808
    edited February 2016
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

No, the higher older turnout, even with graduates for Remain and the anti establishment mood will, as in Scotland see Leave get 45%+ and the renegotiations are not enough to change that. While I expect Remain to win overall across the UK I expect Leave to win England outside of London
    If posters like SeanT, Bob Sykes, AndyJS, TSE, DavidL and JohnO all become 100% definite for Leave, and Alastair Meeks comes off the fence for it too, then I'll believe we have a chance.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:
    All of us are in favour of staying in Europe, aren't we?

The EU is a bit like a f**king awful current account where the bank constantly overcharges you, pays no interest, and screws you over time after time - and laughs at you: everyone hates it, moans about it, and wants to switch to another much better nicer bank, but no-one can't be arsed* with the hassle and they're all a bit scared about the possible downsides of switching.

(*I am currently on hold with First Direct as I'm switching my bank account to them from Santander and clocking a £150 bonus in the process)
    I think there are a small number of people on this site who are in favour of a massive civil works project that would move the United Kingdom into the Chesapeake Bay
  • Options

What sort of talk is that, Mr. Brooke? As a young man I shagged a French bird too, but it didn't stop my father from knowing right from wrong!.
    But was she a countess ;)
  • Options
    surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Remain 60 - 40 Leave !
    At the moment, I think 58-59 for Remain, but it could go as high as 62-63%.

It will be Project Fear like you've never seen before - people will vote "for" their house prices, wallets and jobs.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

If posters like SeanT, Bob Sykes, AndyJS, TSE, DavidL and JohnO all become 100% definite for Leave, and Alastair Meeks comes off the fence for it too, then I'll believe we have a chance.
    Of course there is a chance, more polls have Leave ahead than had Yes ahead at this stage in Scotland and Yes got 45%!
  • Options

Yes, but your father understood frenchwomen have a love of english seamen

• Options
    surbiton said:

FPT:

Yes, people will live longer and, therefore, the Oldies will have more electoral clout.

Except, we equate Oldies with Pensioners. That will change too, otherwise, all developed countries will head towards bankruptcy.

The pensionable age will be possibly 70 by the time 2050 comes. Under 70, they will still be taxpayers.

Also, the state pension will become less and less relevant except for the poor. They will be clobbered. Perfect for Tories.

To some extent this geriatric bias can and will be corrected by giving 16 year olds the right to vote.

It'll be Nandy's first measure ;p
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Of course there is a chance, more polls have Leave ahead than had Yes ahead at this stage in Scotland and Yes got 45%!
    I don't believe the online polls.
  • Options
    The Euro is almost at its 12 month high against Sterling.
  • Options

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Remain 60 - 40 Leave !

It will be Project Fear like you've never seen before - people will vote "for" their house prices, wallets and jobs.
    It would be nice if they could offer a positive vision of the UK as a member of the EU instead of having to scaremonger.
  • Options

Farage on Twitter

Should have flown

Oh?....
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    edited February 2016

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Just to be clear (but I see your point about 'if'), I am now 50-50 and would still 'like' to vote Remain. Much will depend on what happens at the summit.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Great news.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

I think SeanT is the most representative of people at large.

No, I don't mean someone earning 400k a year.

What I mean is someone who doesn't want to be in the EU. But who's (near-term) financial self interest seems to be tied up in staying. He'll bitch and moan about the EU. But his biggest asset by far is his overpriced flat in London, and he'll worry what will happen to house prices in a post EU world.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Moses_ said:

Mortimer said:

Oh well .....at least Brown did not after all have to write a thank you letter to the tories.

Thanks for clearing that up after all these years.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Just to be clear (but I see your point about 'if'), I am now 50-50 and would still 'like' to vote Remain. Much will depend on what happens at the summit.
    so you're ready to swing both ways Mr O ?

Getting a bit racy in the prime of your life it seems.

• Options

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Remain 60 - 40 Leave !

You mean they will think that is what they are voting for. There is every chance they will actually be making things worse.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

The most over-crowded trade in the whole of finance was long dollar, short Euro. It's just whipsawed nearly 10%, and there are a lot of hedge funds that are going to need to write apologising letters to their investors.
  • Options

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Remain 60 - 40 Leave !

You mean they will think that is what they are voting for. There is every chance they will actually be making things worse.
    You don't have to tell me. I know, and I agree.

But they'll still largely cling to nurse.

The only thing that could swing it is if they were convinced their money and the economy was safe.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

JohnO said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

so you're ready to swing both ways Mr O ?

Getting a bit racy in the prime of your life it seems.

Growing old disgracefully: it's the fun upside of having to get up too many times during the night.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited February 2016
    Moses_ said:

justin124 said:

Moses_ said:

Mortimer said:

Oh well .....at least Brown did not after all have to write a thank you letter to the tories.

Thanks for clearing that up after all these years.
    Well then ,perhaps you would like to give us an example of when the Tories did bequeath a Budget Surplus to a successor Government? The last Budget Surplus under a Toryy Government was in the late 1980s when Lawson was able to enjoy the benefit of North Sea Oil revenues at their peak and the proceeds of Privatisation. Of course, he frittered them away on tax cuts.
  • Options

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Remain 60 - 40 Leave !

Most people fear loss more than they crave gains. A 50% chance of their house being worth less ways more heavily on their decision than a 50% chance their income could be higher.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

I don't believe the online polls.
    All you have to do is add 90%+ of UKIP voters voting Leave, at least 50% of Tories and a quarter of Labour voters and you get to 45%+ Leave minimum
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Are you? ..... Are you ....(must type it) French?*

*Sterilises keyboard
This discussion has been closed.