Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » You’ve read the blogs, listened to the podcasts – now watch

Comments

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,118

Cats have career aspirations too. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3431521/The-CAT-controller-Huddersfield-train-station-s-patrolling-moggie-Felix-promoted-Senior-Pest-Controller-new-uniform-badge.html

A beloved moggie who has spent almost five years patrolling a West Yorkshire railway station has been given a promotion for her dedication to her job.

Felix, a black-and-white cat, has been named Senior Pest Controller and given a new high-vis jacket and a name badge by TransPennine Express.
    Literally the only good thing about the DM online is their cat stories. I love them.

Makes you paws and think.
  • Options
    Ms. Apocalypse, previously, I would've agreed with you, but including a ridiculous claim which she doesn't even defend as true when writing a biography paid for by an avowed enemy of the book's subject has shot her credibility to smithereens.

Philips has form. She also mocked a Conservative MP's [I forget whom] suggestion that discussing men's issues (such as the far higher rate of suicide than amongst women) in Parliament.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Indeed. Watch all those WVM/WWC types that voted Labour at the GE because they think Dave is posh, George is sneery and Farage couldn't win,

how many were there?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

Andrew Neil
    BANK OF ENGLAND projects inflation to remain below 1% for all of 2016 and reach 2% target only by the first quarter of 2018

The BoE don't have the best of records.

Oil related deflation is dipping and by April, the lowest paid will have had a 10% increase in wages since last April. At some point that must show up in prices.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,026

If that does happen, won't it play into Trump's hands by Cruz then getting a Super Tuesday boost and continuing to keep the conservative vote from consolidating - thereby allowing Trump to maintain a lead with 35-40%?

Yes, this could go on with the three leading contenders (and maybe one or more of the others hanging on in there) for some time.

In a way, though, I don't think we need to speculate too far. It seems to me that the most obvious ploy is to lay Rubio at the current odds; it will only require him to stumble in NH for the odds to shift out, whereas I can't see them shifting in much beyond what we're currently seeing.

DYOR, what do I know?, etc etc!
    Alot could change by Super Tuesday.

Fortunes to be lost and won :D
  • Options

If that does happen, won't it play into Trump's hands by Cruz then getting a Super Tuesday boost and continuing to keep the conservative vote from consolidating - thereby allowing Trump to maintain a lead with 35-40%?

Yes, this could go on with the three leading contenders (and maybe one or more of the others hanging on in there) for some time.

In a way, though, I don't think we need to speculate too far. It seems to me that the most obvious ploy is to lay Rubio at the current odds; it will only require him to stumble in NH for the odds to shift out, whereas I can't see them shifting in much beyond what we're currently seeing.

One of the variables is when the minor candidates, in particular Carson, pull the plug on their campaigns (or if they don't, when their vote slips away anyhow). There's quite a few potentially crucial percent to be distributed yet. Iowa's already accounted for four candidates (if you include O'Malley on the Dem side); how may will NH take out?
  • Options

One of the variables is when the minor candidates, in particular Carson, pull the plug on their campaigns (or if they don't, when their vote slips away anyhow). There's quite a few potentially crucial percent to be distributed yet. Iowa's already accounted for four candidates (if you include O'Malley on the Dem side); how may will NH take out?
    Will we see the Jim GIlmore train rolling into South Carolina ?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,519

Good afternoon, everyone.

Moving pictures? What manner of sorcery is this?!

Ms. Apocalypse, Oakeshott's a fool. Doubt I'll watch Question Time. The fact the clown Jess Philips got applause (apparently) for claiming Cologne-style attacks happen all the time in Birmingham betrays the audience is about as representative of Britain as a niche Facebook clique.

Jess Philips was awful. We (?) are in danger of conflating anti-Corbynism with competence.

She was horrendous and by far the more egregious remark was that "other" areas should have to "suffer" the presence of migrants.

Now of course you might think that she was right to use the word "suffer" when talking about migrants. But somehow I don't think it is an approved way of describing their presence (and we know how sensitive Lab is to terminology around the issue).
  • Options
    Mr. Topping, indeed, one recalls some getting their panties in a bunch over it.
  • Options
    F1: still requires ratification (I wonder what Mercedes thinks), but plans are for the token system to be axed in 2017:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/35490428
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@ProfChalmers: This is fascinating - SNP supporters least likely to vote for the UK to remain in the EU. https://t.co/EKooBr6OHY

The SNP core displaying a coherence and integrity which is far beyond their wretched Brussels-worshipping leadership. Lions led by donkeys.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

Indigo said:

Indeed. Watch all those WVM/WWC types that voted Labour at the GE because they think Dave is posh, George is sneery and Farage couldn't win,

how many were there?
    Who knows... you don't... be complacent if you like :)
  • Options

At a guess: Carson, Fiorina, Christie

Kasich and/or Bush possibly, but as things stand both might do well enough to hang on in there
  • Options

Ms. Apocalypse, previously, I would've agreed with you, but including a ridiculous claim which she doesn't even defend as true when writing a biography paid for by an avowed enemy of the book's subject has shot her credibility to smithereens.

Philips has form. She also mocked a Conservative MP's [I forget whom] suggestion that discussing men's issues (such as the far higher rate of suicide than amongst women) in Parliament.

The correct feminist position on the higher male suicide rate is that it's still far too low :(
  • Options

I remember that. Though the person who she was laughing at as IIRC, was Philip Davies, who is like a creation straight out of the Telegraph comments' section. Still, there are lots of issues that do affect men particularly, such as suicide and homelessness. I just wish MRAs, that I've encountered and debated with, could focus on those issues as opposed to obsessing over feminists.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,196
    Scott_P said:

I guess they would rather be ruled by Brussels than London.

Yes, it's only the English they hate...
    sad git
  • Options

The correct feminist position on the higher male suicide rate is that it's still far too low :(
    I'm a feminist, and that's not my view at all.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,196
    Patrick said:

Blimey! Tories imminently going to overtake the machine politics lefty tramp terrorist party in Jockland. Does not compute.

Labour dropping to same level as serial losers the Tories
  • Options

Oakeshott always came across pretty well on the Sunday Politics. Although I know that her reputation on here has taken a downturn since pig-gate! I actually always preferred her to Janan Ganesh, who is too much of a George Osborne ''fanboy'' for my liking.

It was difficult for her reputation to take a downturn, given that it largely consisted of shopping her source to the police. But it did, nonetheless.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Indigo said:

Smile at us, pay us, pass us; but do not quite forget,
    For we are the people of England, that never has spoken yet.

The poem epitomises the "count on the non-voter surge" strategy. Worked well for Labour in the GE. I've always said that the problem with the election result is that it was just a sampling error...
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,187
    tlg86 said:

Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

@ProfChalmers: This is fascinating - SNP supporters least likely to vote for the UK to remain in the EU. https://t.co/EKooBr6OHY

Not surprising to me - I always thought the SNP were mopping up the Ukippish "fuck 'em all" vote.
    Isn't the insinuation that some SNP voters think that voting to leave the EU is a good way to go about getting a second Scottish Independence Referendum?
    The best hope the SNP has of forcing another Referendum is if Scottish votes are enough to keep the UK in the EU, frustrating a majority of English who voted to leave. That is one hell of an unholy constitutional mess....
  • Options
    Mr. Mark, disagree.

The best hope the Yes campaign has is if we leave.
  • Options

I really hope Hilary is the Democrat nominee. Sanders is Corbyn MK2, and on top of that, I find his supporters to be totally insufferable. They are so 'right-on' it's unreal.

Labour can only dream of being lead by the Vermont senator. He's miles better than Corbyn.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,043

Oakeshott always came across pretty well on the Sunday Politics. Although I know that her reputation on here has taken a downturn since pig-gate! I actually always preferred her to Janan Ganesh, who is too much of a George Osborne ''fanboy'' for my liking.

It was difficult for her reputation to take a downturn, given that it largely consisted of shopping her source to the police. But it did, nonetheless.
    What's your spread on buttons undone on her shirt?
  • Options

The only place where I've seen her become really disliked is here, tbh. Everywhere else, not so much.

I also didn't see much criticism of her re Vicky Pyrce.
  • Options
    SagandSagand Posts: 35

At a guess: Carson, Fiorina, Christie

Kasich and/or Bush possibly, but as things stand both might do well enough to hang on in there
    Kasich has already hinted he's not going to be sticking around. (http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2016-02-03/kasich-says-his-campaign-won-t-drag-on-like-band-of-minstrels-ik6ynsqw)

Fiorina would be smart to drop and endorse while it still might matter. Christie has no money or organisation after NH. I think Carson will stay as long as he can qualify for the debates. Bush'll be in at least until Super Tuesday.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I really hope Hilary is the Democrat nominee. Sanders is Corbyn MK2, and on top of that, I find his supporters to be totally insufferable. They are so 'right-on' it's unreal.

Labour can only dream of being lead by the Vermont senator. He's miles better than Corbyn.
    You like Bernie Sanders?

Wow. I would have never bet on a non-Labourite PBer liking Sanders.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

So you aren't one of those feminists far more concerned about alleged minor infractions of the modern sexual code by white western men than about FGM and the subjugation of women in most muslim states.

Well that's refreshing
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    edited February 2016
    Matthew Holehouse
    Leave.EU vs is Vote Leave is interesting case study on what happens when donors are allowed to run campaigns https://t.co/eKvFLjSXEX

@rcolvile was an email but happy to forward. U shd write on this! Ukips donor insisted on signing off posters. As a result they were crap.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,187

Mr. Mark, disagree.

The best hope the Yes campaign has is if we leave.

Yes, but my scenario is something the SNP can help engineer - and is a lower threshold for Leave to achieve....
  • Options

All that means is that your position is incorrect. Off to the training camp with you, pronto :o

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2016
    Sagand said:

Kasich has already hinted he's not going to be sticking around.

Depends on how he does in NH, though, and on current polling he could do quite well.

I don't really understand his strategy, TBH. Even if he did really well in NH, coming say a good third, I'm not sure where that gets him.
  • Options
    taffys said:

So you aren't one of those feminists far more concerned about alleged minor infractions of the modern sexual code by white western men than about FGM and the subjugation of women in most muslim states.

Well that's refreshing

I don't know what you mean by 'minor infractions of the modern sexual code'. I am concerned about FGM and female subjugation.
  • Options
    Grisly http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/islamic-state/12140026/Isis-uses-advertising-hoardings-to-crucify-spies-in-its-new-Libyan-caliphate.html?sf20300408=1
    With their prime position on a busy thoroughfare, the billboards on the Zafaran roundabout in the Libyan city of Sirte used to be one of the best spots for local businesses to advertise.

With Colonel Gaddafi's home city now firmly in the grip of Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (Isil) militants, the billboards' rusting black gantries are now used for crucifixions of anyone accused of "spying" against the regime.

The corpses of murdered suspects are strung up as a graphic warning to others, with the victims' families then prevented from retrieving their bodies for burial.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @KateEMcCann: Banks: "Leave.EU initially welcomed the news that Vote Leave wanted to call a truce and work together..."

@KateEMcCann: ... "However, it is now crystal clear that they have zero interest in joining forces."
  • Options
    isam said:

1.3-1.7 :D
  • Options

The only place where I've seen her become really disliked is here, tbh. Everywhere else, not so much.

I also didn't see much criticism of her re Vicky Pyrce.
    That's because this is the only online forum with standards:)

Most of us were admittedly too busy chortling over Huhne to focus too much on Oakeshott.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    I don't know what you mean by 'minor infractions of the modern sexual code'. I am concerned about FGM and female subjugation.

Oh I think you do know. Like most feminists you live in a world of astonishing relativism, where enormous amounts of energy are devoted to hounding nobel prize winning white western scientists while the gargantuan crimes of muslim men are studiously ignored.
  • Options

isam said:

What are the market rules if she isn't wearing a shirt ?
  • Options
    The Fix
    Marco Rubio's surge in New Hampshire looks real - but not real enough to win https://t.co/MV0Jz13L1F https://t.co/VCJXmSoiij
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Train? It's barely a suitcase!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667

Awesome...

Criminals with UK children cannot be automatically deported, says EU court

Theresa May told she cannot expel Moroccan woman with British-born son simply because of conviction

The advocate general of the European court of justice has told May that it will be contrary to EU law if she automatically expels or refuses a residence permit to a non-EU national with a criminal record who is a parent of a child who is an EU citizen.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/feb/04/theresa-may-cant-deport-moroccan-mother-with-criminal-record-eu-court

So basically, get into an EU, have a kid asap, sorted...EU permit residence for life.

So the ECJ has basically decided to overturn our position on "anchor kids". Ridiculous. In the EEA we would not have to abide by this decision.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

how many were there?
    Who knows... you don't... be complacent if you like :)
    I'm entirely relaxed either way, just sceptical about your characterisation of why people voted the way they did
  • Options
    This is presumably the PPP polling that was trailled on here yesterday:

Rubio is the candidate with the real momentum in the race. He’s up 8 points from his 13% standing in our poll right before Christmas. Beyond that he’s seen a large spike in his favorability rating- it’s improved a net 28 points from +15 at 49/34 to +43 at 64/21. That ties him with Ben Carson as being the most broadly popular candidate on the Republican side.

Things also bode well for Rubio as the field gets smaller in the coming weeks. In a four candidate field he gets 32% to 31% for Trump, 23% for Cruz, and 8% for Bush. In a three candidate field he gets 34% to 33% for Trump and 25% for Cruz. And in head to heads he leads both Trump (52/40) and Cruz (46/40). As other candidates drop out of the race Rubio is the most likely destination of their supporters.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2016/02/republican-race-tightens-nationally-clinton-still-solid.html
  • Options
    Mr. Max, surely you mean "Cameron has negotiated us into a position of great independence and strength. I shall be voting to Remain"?

It's a ludicrous position we're in, due to the duplicitous cowardice, incompetence and misleading to the point of deception of those in the highest echelons of government.

Mr. Taffys, lots of feminists hold perfectly reasonable views. The problem is the term is so widely used that, like human rights, it's almost meaningless.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited February 2016
    taffys said:

Oh I think you do know. Like most feminists you live in a world of astonishing relativism, where enormous amounts of energy are devoted to hounding nobel prize winning white western scientists while the gargantuan crimes of muslim men are studiously ignored.

Obviously I don't agree with the reaction to that scientist. However I (nor do many of the feminists I know) ignore the subjugation of women in Muslim countries. However, it's not the only thing we care about either.
  • Options
    Court News
    Ten men convicted of catalogue of child sex grooming offences in Rochdale area after two trials in Manchester
  • Options
    ''However, it's not the only thing we care about either.''

I don;t see any evidence whatever that feminists care about FGM or the crimes of muslim men.

But I see plenty of evidence of their care about white male scientists who fail to express themselves properly once, and then apologize.

Based on the evidence, feminism is about hatred of white middle class western males.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

Pulpstar said:

Train? It's barely a suitcase!
    If the suitcase has wheels I might even go to see it.
  • Options

It's a ludicrous position we're in, due to the duplicitous cowardice, incompetence and misleading to the point of deception of those in the highest echelons of government.

If you leave aside the fact that it was the ECJ which made this judgement, what do think is wrong with the judgement itself? It seems to me that a British court would be very likely to come to exactly the same conclusion regarding the effect on a British child, without any assistance from our European friends.
  • Options
    taffys said:

I don;t see any evidence whatever that feminists care about FGM or the crimes of muslim men.

But I see plenty of evidence of their care about white male scientists who fail to express themselves properly once, and then apologize.

Based on the evidence, feminism is about hatred of white middle class western males.

I've read several articles online, from feminists regarding FGM and so on. However, if you want to believe feminism is about hating white middle-class men, that's your prerogative.
  • Options
    Mr. Nabavi, the fact that a European court is making decisions to be imposed upon Britain is the very problem.
  • Options

Mr. Nabavi, the fact that a European court is making decisions to be imposed upon Britain is the very problem.

I agree, but my question still stands. It doesn't seem to me to be a particularly good example of the ECJ coming up with bonkers judgements.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,043

isam said:

If it's no shirt no bet can I buy £50?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Awesome...

Criminals with UK children cannot be automatically deported, says EU court

Theresa May told she cannot expel Moroccan woman with British-born son simply because of conviction

The advocate general of the European court of justice has told May that it will be contrary to EU law if she automatically expels or refuses a residence permit to a non-EU national with a criminal record who is a parent of a child who is an EU citizen.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/feb/04/theresa-may-cant-deport-moroccan-mother-with-criminal-record-eu-court

So basically, get into an EU, have a kid asap, sorted...EU permit residence for life.

So the ECJ has basically decided to overturn our position on "anchor kids". Ridiculous. In the EEA we would not have to abide by this decision.
    As I read the report - like when you get to the last paragraph - this woman has in fact or can be expelled/deported ...
    ' there should be a “public policy or public security” exemption as invoked in the case of the Moroccan mother to justify her deportation.
    “CS’s serious criminal offences represent an obvious threat to the preservation of that member state’s social cohesion and the values of its society, which is a legitimate interest. The advocate general considers that expulsion, is in principle, contrary to EU law but that, in exceptional circumstances, such a measure may be adopted,” '
    The 'EU Law' is that the children are deemed to be EU citizens and so cannot be deported to a non EU country.
  • Options

taffys said:

I've read several articles online, from feminists regarding FGM and so on. However, if you want to believe feminism is about hating white middle-class men, that's your prerogative.
    Feminism does not preclude an individual from being emotionally damaged. If only it did.
  • Options
    Rubio's price reminds me of a team batting in a test being 50-0 at lunch on the first day !
  • Options

Must admit, I thought an automatic right to residency for a parent of a British born child was already in place even before the ECJ ruling. - Hamstrung by the ECHR right to family life etc.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

I agree, but my question still stands. It doesn't seem to me to be a particularly good example of the ECJ coming up with bonkers judgements.
    The child becomes a ward of the state, is placed under the care of his/her British parent or goes to Morocco with his/her mother.
  • Options

Nonsense, the UK courts have and still do do I believe, make and impose descision on the courts of other countries.

What is sauce for the goose....
  • Options
    Why was the ECJ involved in the first place? I thought the British courts would rule first on questions like this, with a possible eventual appeal to the ECJ.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, is the EU a country?
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, is the EU a country?

Irrelevant to your original point.
  • Options

Must admit, I thought an automatic right to residency for a parent of a British born child was already in place even before the ECJ ruling. - Hamstrung by the ECHR right to family life etc.
    Yep Article 8. But that just means there are two courts making these decisions counter to the apparent wishes of elected British representatives. As Richard N. Says this is not a loony decision but it is one where the balance should be decided by British courts and British elected officials not by the ECJ or ECHR.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, relevant to your riposte, and to my original point.

Is the EU a nation? That's the comparison you yourself made. If you say Yes, then you are Ken Clarke and I claim €5. If no, your comparison is not pertinent.
  • Options
    14 presidential elections between 1868 & 1952 had at least 1 major-party nominee who needed multiple ballots to win https://t.co/FQ26QndrRF
  • Options

Nonsense, the UK courts have and still do do I believe, make and impose descision on the courts of other countries.

And those countries could, if they wished, decide to break with the tradition. Indeed many have once they felt they were able to make such decisions for themselves.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited February 2016

Yep Article 8. But that just means there are two courts making these decisions counter to the apparent wishes of elected British representatives. As Richard N. Says this is not a loony decision but it is one where the balance should be decided by British courts and British elected officials not by the ECJ or ECHR.
    Why is it a sensible decision? It sends out all the wrong messages. Come to the European, commit crimes & we can never deport you. IMO if you break laws in a host country on your bike. Just because you can reproduce shouldn't affect that.

We should be encouraging hard working law abiding migrants.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Nope, I haven't really done my homework on this :)
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048
    edited February 2016

Why is it a sensible decision? It sends out all the wrong messages. Come to the European, commit crimes & we can never deport you. IMO if you break laws in a host country on your bike. Just because you can reproduce shouldn't affect that.
    The basic principle that we should not have automatic deportation for minor offences seems sensible to me. But the point I am making is that this argent is one that should be made and resolved in the UK and not by an external court.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Checking out some images now that looks like a fair spread on a no shirt = 0 basis :D
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    Stuart Rose wants a ban on opinion polls for 2 weeks before the referendum

Definite whiff of panic there
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, relevant to your riposte, and to my original point.

Is the EU a nation? That's the comparison you yourself made. If you say Yes, then you are Ken Clarke and I claim €5. If no, your comparison is not pertinent.

Well the EU does have a national anthem and a President, after a fashion,
  • Options
    Mr. Runnymede, bit surprising given how many advantages Remain has already.
  • Options

The basic principle that we should not have automatic deportation for minor offences seems sensible to me. But the point I am making is that this argent is one that should be made and resolved in the UK and not by an external court.
    A minor offence might be speeding, or littering. Attempting to smuggle illicit goods into a prison is not a minor offence.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited February 2016

It says she tried to smuggle a sim card into jail. However, she was given 12 months in jail & then May wanted to deport her I am going to say the individual probably got a long wrap sheet and / or there is much more to her criminality. It should be a privilege not a right to be in a country.
  • Options

And those countries could, if they wished, decide to break with the tradition. Indeed many have once they felt they were able to make such decisions for themselves.
    Indeed they have.
  • Options

Quite agree Mr tyndall. - I don't always disgree with rulings By the ECJ/ECHR, I just wish they didn't have the power to over rule British Courts and appeals.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,211
    MaxPB said:

A minor offence might be speeding, or littering. Attempting to smuggle illicit goods into a prison is not a minor offence.
    Attempting to smuggle illicit goods into a colliery would be a miner offence.

I'll get my coat.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Checking out some images now that looks like a fair spread on a no shirt = 0 basis :D
    Well you're not the first PBer to think about giving Isabel Oakeshott one, ahem.

Sheesh I need to get my mind out of the gutter.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    Mr. Runnymede, bit surprising given how many advantages Remain has already.

Don't underestimate how determined they are to use every avenue possible to stack the cards in their favour.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    runnymede said:

Stuart Rose wants a ban on opinion polls for 2 weeks before the referendum

Definite whiff of panic there

Panic or not he has no right in preventing legitimate companies from conducting business. Typical of the statist attitude of Europhiles.
  • Options
    From another PB

Panorama has an aptly named new researcher. One named James Saville.
  • Options
    I reckon an EU polling ban could lead to several publications on the price of fruitcake.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I reckon an EU polling ban could lead to several publications on the price of fruitcake.

What it'll lead to is private polling for commercial organisations being leaked to bloggers and journalists.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    O/T, but I want to sing the praises of a much maligned organisation - The Railways

Just back from a three day trip which due to eyesight was done by train, mostly by Virgin Trains on the East Coast Mainline. OK ,some of the carriages were a bit clapped out and tatty but every train was on time to the minute. The service on board was spiffing, BA could learn from it, and the attitude of the staff at all levels and in all places, not only on the trains but also in places like the Costa Coffee outlet on the platform at Newark and the chap with the dreadlocks who rescued me at St. Pancras International (he saw I was hopelessly lost and came, unbidden, to help - don't get that at Heathrow), was magnificent.

The railways in the UK get a lot of stick, and I have in the past been a wielder of that stick. Commuter lines into London are still sub-par, I'll accept but, by Jove, inter-city travel has come a very long way.

P.S. St Pancras International is a spiffing place and the cafe-bar where the dreadlocks bloke parked me for a while was excellent (trappist beer and a comfortable club chair).

• Options
    I see it looks like Germany have foiled an isis terror attack & these days all this stuff is so common it basically gets virtually no headlines....
  • Options

O/T, but I want to sing the praises of a much maligned organisation - The Railways

Just back from a three day trip which due to eyesight was done by train, mostly by Virgin Trains on the East Coast Mainline. OK ,some of the carriages were a bit clapped out and tatty but every train was on time to the minute. The service on board was spiffing, BA could learn from it, and the attitude of the staff at all levels and in all places, not only on the trains but also in places like the Costa Coffee outlet on the platform at Newark and the chap with the dreadlocks who rescued me at St. Pancras International (he saw I was hopelessly lost and came, unbidden, to help - don't get that at Heathrow), was magnificent.

The railways in the UK get a lot of stick, and I have in the past been a wielder of that stick. Commuter lines into London are still sub-par, I'll accept but, by Jove, inter-city travel has come a very long way.

P.S. St Pancras International is a spiffing place and the cafe-bar where the dreadlocks bloke parked me for a while was excellent (trappist beer and a comfortable club chair).

St Pancras is fab. I've spent far too much time in Searcys
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    So Matt Leblanc is joining Top Gear.

It makes sense - he already presents "Top Gear: the Races" and had the fastest time in the 'reasonably priced car', beating - I think - Rowan Atkinson by .1 of a second.

He'll be good.

Chris Evans needs to be punched in the face hard and often, and have half a raw onion stuffed up his rectum daily..

I get the impression that the Top Gear reboot in May is happening more by luck than judgment.

This is as good a place as any to reveal that I have never seen an episode of Friends. Or Seinfeld come to that.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

What it'll lead to is private polling for commercial organisations being leaked to bloggers and journalists.
    And your red tomatoes futures are up, your green apples are down tweets....
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Today I left 55 red shoes at home and bought 45 new green shoes.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

So Matt Leblanc is joining Top Gear.

It makes sense - he already presents "Top Gear: the Races" and had the fastest time in the 'reasonably priced car', beating - I think - Rowan Atkinson by .1 of a second.

He'll be good.

How much does LeBlanc’s signing have, in your opinion, to do with Top Gear’s US appeal?

• Options
    malcolmg said:

Patrick said:

Blimey! Tories imminently going to overtake the machine politics lefty tramp terrorist party in Jockland. Does not compute.

Labour dropping to same level as serial losers the Tories
    We need subtitles for some of these posts
  • Options
    People's Front of Leave meets the Leave People's Front. Again.

https://twitter.com/LeaveEUOfficial/status/695286647886364673
  • Options
    New Irish Times-Ipsos-MRBI poll (changes relative to the previous Irish Times-Ipsos-MRBI poll which is from November): Fine Gael 28% (down 2%), Independents and Others 25% (up 2%), Fianna Fail 21% (up 2%), Sinn Fein 19% (down 2%), Labour Party 7% (NC).

Adian Kavanagh's seat estimates based on this: Fianna Fail 35, Fine Gael 58, Sinn Fein 25, Labour Party 4, Independents and Others 36.

https://adriankavanaghelections.org/2016/02/04/government-fianna-fail-ters-constituency-level-analysis-of-the-irish-times-ipsos-mrbi-opinion-poll-4th-february-2016/
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Today I left 55 red shoes at home and bought 45 new green shoes.
    Puzzled – Mr TSE, do you have an odd number of feet?
  • Options

https://twitter.com/LeaveEUOfficial/status/695286647886364673

I made that gag before Christmas, and it is still isn't getting old.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2016

"I am angry that this group [in Vote Leave] is jeopardising this historic referendum through their dishonesty and unwillingness to embrace and work with all the Brexit groups. It's time they and the Conservative MPs associated with them decide if it's their career or their country which matters most to them, and then they can either fit in with the rest of us or quite frankly disappear."

The tone is familiar...
  • Options

From another PB

Panorama has an aptly named new researcher. One named James Saville.

Poor sod. In the circumstances. I believe there is, or was once, living peacefully in Austria, an Adolf Hitler.
    No, not that one.
This discussion has been closed.