Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » William Hill say nobody’s bet on Osbo since the Google tax

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,602
    edited January 2016

O/T
    Looking at reports of the demos in Dover today.
    Generally described as Anti-Immigration rally and Anti-Racism rally.
    Why the difference?
    Should it not be Anti and Pro immigration etc.

Well it was organised by the National Front, and they do have form for racism.
    I've had a better idea.
    The NF and BNP etc generally have fairly left wing ideas re state ownership and what have you.
    How about describing it as:
    'one group of left wing nutters throwing bricks at another group of left wing nutters'?
    Having had the EDL and Unite Against Fascism protest outside my front door in Manchester a few years ago, I view them both in stronger terms than nutters.
    What did you do to attract such opprobrium?
    People obsessed about immigration and Muslims fixate on me.

I think it is because their closed, tiny minds can't deal with me shattering all their preconceptions.

And some on the hard left think I'm an Uncle Tom for being a Tory.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,028

O/T
    Why the difference?

I've had a better idea.
    The NF and BNP etc generally have fairly left wing ideas re state ownership and what have you.
    'one group of left wing nutters throwing bricks at another group of left wing nutters'?
    Having had the EDL and Unite Against Fascism protest outside my front door in Manchester a few years ago, I view them both in stronger terms than nutters.
    Refuse to post that article on AV?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

surbiton said:

Pulpstar said:

That "tax on sales" proposed by Lord Lawson is just bonkers so far as I can initially tell. Top line is a crazy way to tax companies. Haven't even heard Corbyn propose anything that daft.

Actually, it has a lot going for it. It could only apply to those companies which have direct sales in the UK but do not pay Corporation Tax. I do not include companies here who might be using capital allowances or prior year losses to bring CT to zero.

rcs1000 says they will go away ! Really ? Leave sales of £ 4.6bn ?
    They wouldn't leave sales of £4.6bn. They would just serve the UK market without having a legal entity in the UK.
    There are ways around that. If everyone really, really wanted a tax system that taxed sales by foreign companies with no legal entity here they could create one. Then HMRC could tax Google's Irish operation, or ultimately even its American one. So long as there was an overwhelming (and massively unlikely) international agreement on it ... as a unilateral option it doesn't really work.

And if we went that way we'd have to accept British-based exporters paying a large chunk of their taxes overseas as a result (if their cost base is here but most of their sales are abroad, then successful exporters would make a "UK loss" and pay no tax here) but that's just a "can't have it both ways" thing. I'd be surprised if successful exporting countries would be in a hurry to sign up for such a system.
  • Options
    eek said:

O/T
    Why the difference?

I've had a better idea.
    Refuse to post that article on AV?
    Hey, I did my AV piece last week, included this observation

As we can see below, under the various PR systems, we would likely see a Tory/UKIP coalition, indeed some Tories might well regret not voting for AV in the 2011 referendum, as they would have done better under AV than under First Past The Post

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/01/24/electoral-reform-might-not-be-the-panacea-the-left-think-it-is/
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

perdix said:

Speedy said:

The google tax issue is a general problem when you have large companies with lots of domestic revenue paying little or no tax because of accounting gimmicks that reduce or eliminate their profits on paper.

It offers a wide opening range of political attacks that is very natural Labour territory at a time that revenue is needed to close the deficit.

Osborne has not done his homework on the economy and he hopes no one notices or no one cares.

"Not done his homework"? Stupid remark.

The same Osborne who preferred political tourism to preparing his 2012 Budget properly.

The same Osborne who was too busy yachting with oligarchs in summer 2008 to notice that the economy was in recession.

The same Osborne who though the Irish economy was the place to 'look and learn' from.

Osborne has a history of not doing his homework.
    It wouldn't matter how well GO did, you would dream up something against him. Your prejudices show.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

O/T
    Why the difference?

I've had a better idea.
    Can we not skip the whole "wing" thing and just go with "nutters"?
    RCS, That's fine with me.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

@TSE why am I thinking you're at Anfield again..?

TSE is very welcome at the King Power on Tuesday!
    LOL :) May the best team win!!
    Leicester are crap, Benteke scored against them earlier in the season and he's rubbish.

£32.5m for Benteke, what was Ian Ayre smoking when he made that deal with Villa?
    Danny Drinkwater and Vardy are back in form now. On Boxing day the Foxes were rather stodgy from a surfeit of Turkey. The New Year detox has them back in form. Klopps Flopps will lose more than a pair of glasses...
  • Options

O/T
    Why the difference?

I've had a better idea.
    The shoes?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

O/T
    Why the difference?

I've had a better idea.

I think it is because their closed, tiny minds can't deal with me shattering all their preconceptions.
    LOL. You'd fit right in here, there's loads of very non-observant Muslims living in the Muslim countries too, despite what the British press might have people believe.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Leicester are crap, Benteke scored against them earlier in the season and he's rubbish.

£32.5m for Benteke, what was Ian Ayre smoking when he made that deal with Villa?
    Danny Drinkwater and Vardy are back in form now. On Boxing day the Foxes were rather stodgy from a surfeit of Turkey. The New Year detox has them back in form. Klopps Flopps will lose more than a pair of glasses...
    But for Mr Magoo being lino against Stoke, we haven't conceded a legitimate goal in 210 mins of football.

#Progress
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Sandpit said:

O/T
    Why the difference?

I've had a better idea.

LOL. You'd fit right in here, there's loads of very non-observant Muslims living in the Muslim countries too, despite what the British press might have people believe.
    Every time I got to the likes of Qatar, UAE, Dubai, and Abu Dhabi, the locals are so envious of me that the UK gives me such an opportunity to be a very bad Muslim without any fears.

I said progress takes while but when it happens, it happens rapidly, a little over thirty years ago, in parts of the UK homosexuality was a crime. Now you can get married to a dude.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

But for Mr Magoo being lino against Stoke, we haven't conceded a legitimate goal in 210 mins of football.

#Progress
    Didn't the mighty canaries put 4 past Liverpool just a week ago? Apart from Villas dodgy hand ball goal, the last League goal that the Foxes conceeded was 6 games ago at Anfield.

Its got nil nil writ all over it!
  • Options
    Makes mental note of those for pub quiz I need to set later in the week. All very easy if you think for a second rather than saying the first thing that comes into your mind though.
  • Options

O/T
    Why the difference?

The National Front aren't racists?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,005
    SeanT said:

*inner anecdote alert*

I watched some of the vids floating around t'Net of the Swedish hoolies beating the crap out of migrants, last night, and my inner Nazi did a squalid little cheer.

I should hasten to add that I am only about 15% Nazi. I am also, interestingly, about 5-10% inner Marxist (on the right day, say, when my tax bill arrives and it is fifteen times what Facebook Inc pays in the UK).

The rest of me, the majority of me, the 75% of me that is tedious centre liberal-right, mildly libertarian, democratic blah de blah, was appalled, of course.

But I did hear an atavistic inner cheer.

This is what the migrant and multiculti crisis, allied with its appalling genesis and mishandling - authors: the Left - has done. It invokes the Fascist in every subconscious. Defend Our Women. Lynch the Other. Castrate the Bastards who Rape our Daughters.

Etc.

And remember this migrant-bashing is happening in SWEDEN.

Troubling times.

Merkels decision could be described as putting a match onto gunpowder
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

#Progress
    Didn't the mighty canaries put 4 past Liverpool just a week ago? Apart from Villas dodgy hand ball goal, the last League goal that the Foxes conceeded was 6 games ago at Anfield.

It's not on the telly box is it? Guaranteed to be an eleven goal thriller.
  • Options

O/T
    Why the difference?

Did I say they weren't?
  • Options
    Who remembers "Ever Decreasing Circles?".... for some reason it keeps coming to mind... might change my username to Paul Ryman
  • Options

Sandpit said:

O/T
    Why the difference?

I've had a better idea.

Every time I got to the likes of Qatar, UAE, Dubai, and Abu Dhabi, the locals are so envious of me that the UK gives me such an opportunity to be a very bad Muslim without any fears.

I said progress takes while but when it happens, it happens rapidly, a little over thirty years ago, in parts of the UK homosexuality was a crime. Now you can get married to a dude.
    I know a couple of locals that might give you a run for your money!

A good point about the speed of change. We criticise other cultures for being 'backwards' using references like homosexuality which as you say was illegal not long ago in the UK. The age of consent was lowered from 21 only in I think 1997. The speed of cultural change in the Western nations since WWII has been astonishing.
  • Options

O/T
    Why the difference?

In fairness, most demonstrations are against something.
    Down with this sort of thing.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    rcs1000 said:

O/T
    Why the difference?

I've had a better idea.
    Can we not skip the whole "wing" thing and just go with "nutters"?
    No - because it is time we started quoting 'extreme left wing', 'far left wing' and 'left wing' to counteract the hypocrisy of the left.
  • Options
    isam said:

Who remembers "Ever Decreasing Circles?".... for some reason it keeps coming to mind... might change my username to Paul Ryman

Funnily enough, it was on the TV today.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

#Progress

It's not on the telly box is it? Guaranteed to be an eleven goal thriller.
    Not on the legit telly. Leicester away at Man Cityis on BT on Saturday, and away at Arsenal is on Sky at 1200 on the 14th.

A win against Liverpool and draws on the others would be what we need to mount a serious title challenge. After that we have a pretty good 9 game run until the last 3 games.

• Options
    edited January 2016

isam said:

Funnily enough, it was on the TV today.
    Great show... Uber nerd trying to ban someone who out does him from all his little clubs. Classic tv

My Dad still calls my mum "Anne" in the voice of Martin Bryce even though Anne isn't her name
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

O/T
    Why the difference?

I've had a better idea.

I know a couple of locals that might give you a run for your money!

A good point about the speed of change. We criticise other cultures for being 'backwards' using references like homosexuality which as you say was illegal not long ago in the UK. The age of consent was lowered from 21 only in I think 1997. The speed of cultural change in the Western nations since WWII has been astonishing.
    If Barack Obama had been born 40 years earlier, he couldn't have been able to eat at the same restaurants as white people. But look at how far America has come. From Jim Crow to an African American President in four decades.

Astonishing rate of progress.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,281
    edited January 2016

O/T
    Why the difference?

Did I say they weren't?
    So just to clarify for an unworldy provincial, are the following racist or anti-immigration organisations? (I know the Scottish Defence League is DEFINITELY racist)

Combat 18
    EDL
    The East Kent English Patriots
    North West National Front

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "On Saturday, Germany’s chancellor, Angela Merkel, tried to placate the increasingly vocal critics of her open-door policy on refugees, insisting that asylum seekers from Syria and Iraq would go home once the conflicts there had ended."

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/30/refugee-arrivals-greece-exceed-52000-january
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited January 2016
    isam said:

SeanT said:

*inner anecdote alert*

I watched some of the vids floating around t'Net of the Swedish hoolies beating the crap out of migrants, last night, and my inner Nazi did a squalid little cheer.

I should hasten to add that I am only about 15% Nazi. I am also, interestingly, about 5-10% inner Marxist (on the right day, say, when my tax bill arrives and it is fifteen times what Facebook Inc pays in the UK).

The rest of me, the majority of me, the 75% of me that is tedious centre liberal-right, mildly libertarian, democratic blah de blah, was appalled, of course.

This is what the migrant and multiculti crisis, allied with its appalling genesis and mishandling - authors: the Left - has done. It invokes the Fascist in every subconscious. Defend Our Women. Lynch the Other. Castrate the Bastards who Rape our Daughters.

Etc.

Troubling times.

Merkels decision could be described as putting a match onto gunpowder
    It's remarkable how much our society, say here in Blighty, has changed over a generation. We have had many changes, especially population growth and "diversity". I recall, for instance, a self-conscious radio 4 play in about 1961ish involving a Jamaican man trying to rent a room FFS.

I think there could be a popular book in this by a knowledgeable sociologist entitled, say, "The Change".

But this immigration problem has the ingredients to be really be seriously dangerous and it relates to that most simple minded self-delusional phrase "the Arab spring" It's about oil and we should have kept our hands to ourselves.
  • Options

O/T
    Why the difference?

Did I say they weren't?
    So just to clarify for an unworldy provincial, are the following racist or anti-immigration organisations? (I know the Scottish Defence League is DEFINITELY racist)

Combat 18
    EDL

Methinks you're not quite that 'unworldly'
    To clarify, they're all a bunch of utter clowns.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited January 2016
    SeanT said:

*inner anecdote alert*

Etc.

Troubling times.

Someone needs a hug.

Probably best to stay off youtube for a while, too.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,593
    Cyclefree said:

If @ Roger is about: This is what - on the previous thread - he claimed I said:-

"Sexual violence-according to Cyclefree-is the result of immigrants being brought up in repressive misogynistic Muslim countries. How do we explain these Scandinavian neo-Nazi thugs. The Vikings?"

And this is what I actually said at 08:03 am:-

"It is undoubtedly the case that sexual assaults on women didn't start with the arrival of migrants. And if there were no migrants such crimes would still happen.

But it is curious - actually, repulsive would be a better word - that those who claim to be concerned about sexual crimes against women are so sanguine about inviting into the country those from mysogynistic cultures and, as a result, with a propensity to commit such crimes (though that does not apply to all the individuals from those cultures, of course).

It's as if such concern is only useful if it can be used against certain groups and that concern for women is dialled up or down - or into nothingness, in some cases - depending on the perpetrators.

Repulsive."

@Roger: you are free to disagree. But do not misrepresent what I have written. You do it repeatedly. And it is tiresome.

It is interesting that Roger likens the current wave of immigrants to the Vikings.

Whose culture and religion was considered to be incompatible with the rest of European civilisation. And so was wiped out...

Is Roger trying to tell us something?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

AndyJS said:

"On Saturday, Germany’s chancellor, Angela Merkel, tried to placate the increasingly vocal critics of her open-door policy on refugees, insisting that asylum seekers from Syria and Iraq would go home once the conflicts there had ended."

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/30/refugee-arrivals-greece-exceed-52000-january

There are rumours (mainly in the Mail, and Express, it must be said) that she is near to a psychological breakdown.

I give this rumour some credence. It must be shattering to make such a bold, audacious gesture (come all! come everyone! we can do it! welcome all of Syria!) which is initially praised by all, to the point of nauseating adulation, but then, six months later, ends in mass rape, sexual molestation, neo-Nazi resurgence and the polite but bitter obloquy of every other politician in Europe, from the presidetns of Eastern Europe to the prime minister of France.

She was doing so well. Now her epitaph will be: She Told Them To Come, and it was Catastrophic.

Her career is going to end in worse than tears. No wonder she is cracking up.
    We need a Downfall parody for Merkel.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

O/T
    Why the difference?

Did I say they weren't?
    So just to clarify for an unworldy provincial, are the following racist or anti-immigration organisations? (I know the Scottish Defence League DEFINITELY is)

Combat 18
    EDL

Given that Combat 18's digital surname comes from 1 = A, and 8 = H, i.e. Adolf Hitler, in a numerised alphabet, I'd say yes they are probably anti-immigrant.
    You're too sharp a wordsmith not to be aware of the difference between 'anti-immigration' and 'anti-immigrant'.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Last chance to take punt against trump before people actually start voting and the odds change substantially.

Will these elusive trumpers actually turnout? There's little evidence of a proper ground game in iowa, but perhaps trump doesn't need one?

I'm betting against him @ evens.

If I'm wrong and trump storms Iowa, his odds will plummet. If it's all hot air, or he underperforms, he may well have blown the nomination altogether.

IMO, at evens, the risk is on trump.

Lay.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2016
    The left assumes that we are all social justice warriors at heart. That comments like 'bunch of migrants' leaves us all outraged. But they couldn't be more wrong. Our national psyche is much more Daily Mail than Daily Mirror. We have seen Peak PC now. I don't think it is any longer uncool or even negative to be proudly in favour of defending our culture, our women, our history, our very civilisation. It is basically dawning on the silent majority that we are in a very real sense at war. And the enemy troops are here in great numbers and millions more are coming. They want to rape our women, push our gays off rooftops, behead our dissenters and pour petrol over our refuseniks. I for one think a giant 'FUCK YOU SUNSHINE' moment is coming. Bring it on!
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Sandpit said:
    No holding back with that article, "shabby little EU deal".
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    SeanT said:

AndyJS said:

There are rumours (mainly in the Mail, and Express, it must be said) that she is near to a psychological breakdown.

I give this rumour some credence. It must be shattering to make such a bold, audacious gesture (come all! come everyone! we can do it! welcome all of Syria!) which is initially praised by all, to the point of nauseating adulation, but then, six months later, ends in mass rape, sexual molestation, neo-Nazi resurgence and the polite but bitter obloquy of every other politician in Europe, from the presidetns of Eastern Europe to the prime minister of France.

She was doing so well. Now her epitaph will be: She Told Them To Come, and it was Catastrophic.

Her career is going to end in worse than tears. No wonder she is cracking up.
    Interestingly. she's still able to attract the support of around 37% of German voters according to the latest polls.

http://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/
  • Options
    Pong said:

Last chance to take punt against trump before people actually start voting and the odds change substantially.

Will these elusive trumpers actually turnout? There's little evidence of a proper ground game in iowa, but perhaps trump doesn't need one?

If I'm wrong and trump storms Iowa, his odds will plummet. If it's all hot air, or he underperforms, he may well have blown the nomination altogether.

Lay.

Cruz seems to have a better ground game. Trump's ground game is not as strong and could be reliant on non-voters turning out on the day.

I think Cruz will win in Iowa but I am pumping all my cash into the EU referendum market so will not be laying Trump.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

The left assumes that we are all social justice warriors at heart. That comments like 'bunch of migrants' leaves us all outraged. But they couldn't be more wrong. Our national psyche is much more Daily Mail than Daily Mirror. We have seen Peak PC now. I don't think it is any longer uncool or even negative to be proudly in favour of defending our culture, our women, our history, our very civilisation. It is basically dawning on the silent majority that we are in a very real sense at war. And the enemy troops are here in great numbers and millions more are coming. They want to rape our women, push our gays off rooftops, behead our dissenters and pour petrol over our refuseniks. I for one think a giant 'FUCK YOU SUNSHINE' moment is coming. Bring it on!

Sun several hours over the yardarm where you are?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    edited January 2016
    Pong said:

Lay.

Well lets see what the Des Moines poll says 1st.

I'm dutched Trump/Cruz at the moment, haven't added to Trump since around 6-4 or so.

I reckon Rubio's price is far too short personally.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

Lay.

Well lets see what the Des Moines poll says 1st.
    I'm trying to persuade the Des Moines Register to send me an embargoed copy of their poll.
  • Options
    Why would Brexit make London property prices go down?
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    SeanT said:

I see that earlier people were giving their honest reasons for being REMAIN or LEAVE

Here's mine.

Economically and politically I am tending to LEAVE. I think we'd do just fine - longterm - outside the EU, and we would probably be a happier country, more comfortable in its own skin, more oriented to natural partners like Aus, NZ, Canada, SA, USA. If that makes us a larger form of Switzerland, so be it, Switzerland is a deeply admirable country, in plenty of ways

I also think we'd negotiate free movement and free trade with the EU, it is in everyone's interest. These are scary monsters invented by philes.

However two major things make me tend towards REMAIN. First, selfishly, the initial and significant damage to London, and London property prices. My London flat is my major asset. It could provide a tasty pension. But Brexit could and probably would screw the London propety market for a decade or so. I am sure the city would recover - it always has - but that may be too long for me.

Second, Scotland. I think Scottish independence is now much less likely than it was in 2014. The fall in oil price is a major factor, and the dwindling of the oil reserves themselves, but also Scots don't look keen to make the fatal leap (hence Sturgeon's obvious reluctance to go for indyref 2).

But the one thing that might precipitate indyref 2 and then indy itself (in the closing window of opportunity for Nats) is Brexit.

I'm a unionist and a London property owner, and as a patriot and a selfish man, I may be forced to vote REMAIN.

Hm.

Is interesting, I've written a thread for tomorrow which discusses the impact on house prices of Brexit.

You are not alone.

Research has suggested that 55% of British homeowners think exiting the European Union will have an impact on house prices in the UK.

The research by online estate agent, eMoov.co.uk found that, of the 55% that believe the price of their property will be effected, 34% think leaving the EU would actually strengthen the value of their home, with just 21% believing it will lead to a decrease in their property price.

http://www.bestadvice.co.uk/majority-fear-brexit-will-hit-property-prices/
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    AndyJS said:

An excellent legal system and strong property ownership rights are major reasons as to why London property is so popular with international buyers.

Post-Brexit this will not change. There will always be a huge demand for London property.
  • Options
    Sean a vote for REMAIN means a vote for Brussels and its Euro socialist permanent credo to be in control of the City forever. Personally I think our financial services sector will do better in the long term (10 years) horizon if we are free than if the likes of Hollande are calling the shots.

Scotland? This is a heart not a head issue. Their heart has gone but the head won't let them. I have experienced anti-English abuse in Aberdeen and Glasgow. A colleague of mine recently went on holiday to Skye and said he found it unsettling to feel so foreign. Personally, I resent the significantly higher public spending per head they enjoy and the fact that England is the only EU regions whose citizens don't qualify for free university there. If LEAVE means Scotland goes I'd be torn, but there's a big part of me that'd feel I was getting a twofer. I want a fully federal UK now.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    MP_SE said:

Sandpit said:
    No holding back with that article, "shabby little EU deal".
    Oh. Christopher Booker.

One of the more predictable columns of the year, then.
  • Options
    The Sunil on Sunday's take:

LEAVE = British and proud!
    REMAIN = Traitor Pig-Dogs!
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    From a couple of threads back -

People keep saying that Trump has gone bankrupt multiple times. That is wrong. He has never gone bankrupt. He has used the bankruptcy code several times (4 I think) to wind up projects he was involved in that weren't working out.

Now the Clinton email saga.

You may recall that Clinton said she never had any classified information on her server (March 10 at the UN). When it rapidly became apparent that this was untrue she had to amend her story to saying that she never sent any email marked classified. This may be the case but it is nothing to do with anything.

As has been explained incessantly on the networks since this story broke last night, information is classified, not emails. If an email contains classified information, by definition the email is classified, whether or not it is marked as such. Information is given a degree of classification by the agency generating it.

With the 7 email chains, 37 pages and 22 emails being too highly classified to release even heavily redacted versions, even the White House has now admitted that her server contained highly classified data. At this point there is no doubt - she has a big legal problem.

There are a further 18 emails being withheld between her and Obama, on the grounds that there needs to be free and frank exchange of information without fear of exposure. That doesn't sound unreasonable and presumably will be released once he has left office.

Democrats are claiming that the timing is suspicious - it isn't. State is under orders from a federal judge to release batches of her emails on the last working day of every month. That was Friday. What is suspicious is State has requested from the judge an extension - after the day of snow last week - of a MONTH before releasing 7k more of her emails. This will be beyond the first 3 primaries.

Totally off topic - One stunning stat that I saw today- 43% of Iowa democrats regard themselves as socialists.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    edited January 2016

SeanT said:

I see that earlier people were giving their honest reasons for being REMAIN or LEAVE

Here's mine.

I also think we'd negotiate free movement and free trade with the EU, it is in everyone's interest. These are scary monsters invented by philes.

However two major things make me tend towards REMAIN. First, selfishly, the initial and significant damage to London, and London property prices. My London flat is my major asset. It could provide a tasty pension. But Brexit could and probably would screw the London propety market for a decade or so. I am sure the city would recover - it always has - but that may be too long for me.

Second, Scotland. I think Scottish independence is now much less likely than it was in 2014. The fall in oil price is a major factor, and the dwindling of the oil reserves themselves, but also Scots don't look keen to make the fatal leap (hence Sturgeon's obvious reluctance to go for indyref 2).

But the one thing that might precipitate indyref 2 and then indy itself (in the closing window of opportunity for Nats) is Brexit.

I'm a unionist and a London property owner, and as a patriot and a selfish man, I may be forced to vote REMAIN.

Hm.

Is interesting, I've written a thread for tomorrow which discusses the impact on house prices of Brexit.

You are not alone.

Research has suggested that 55% of British homeowners think exiting the European Union will have an impact on house prices in the UK.

The research by online estate agent, eMoov.co.uk found that, of the 55% that believe the price of their property will be effected, 34% think leaving the EU would actually strengthen the value of their home, with just 21% believing it will lead to a decrease in their property price.

55% are correct. Many organisations which come to the UK not for the UK market but as an English speaking, easily understood laws regarding property ownership, country; their employees will not stay in London, some will leave London.

Basically, London is London. Foreigners feel comfortable in London. But London is part of the EU. You can hop over very easily. Walk out of the airport, literally from the plane.

Dublin will be a good place to buy the day after Brexit.

The rest of UK house prices : does it matter ?

EDIT: Er......... I didn't read the article. 34% think it will decrease and 21% think it will increase.

Innumerate people ! They can't even add up without a calculator. Some don't even know how to use a calculator.

What do they know ?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

SeanT said:

Here's mine.

Economically and politically I am tending to LEAVE. I think we'd do just fine - longterm - outside the EU, and we would probably be a happier country, more comfortable in its own skin, more oriented to natural partners like Aus, NZ, Canada, SA, USA. If that makes us a larger form of Switzerland, so be it, Switzerland is a deeply admirable country, in plenty of ways

Hm.

You are not alone.

55% are correct. Many organisations which come to the UK not for the UK market but as an English speaking, easily understood laws regarding property ownership, country; their employees will not stay in London, some will leave London.

Basically, London is London. Foreigners feel comfortable in London. But London is part of the EU. You can hop over very easily. Walk out of the airport, literally from the plane.

Over half (34/55) are saying that leaving will strengthen the price of their house aren't they?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Basically, London is London. Foreigners feel comfortable in London. But London is part of the EU.

But NOT part of Schengen.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Basically, London is London. Foreigners feel comfortable in London. But London is part of the EU.

But NOT part of Schengen.
    Unfortunately, that is correct ! Sad.
  • Options
    isam said:

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

Here's mine.

Hm.

You are not alone.

Over half (34/55) are saying that leaving will strengthen the price of their house aren't they?
    I have corrected my post with an EDit.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

From a couple of threads back -

People keep saying that Trump has gone bankrupt multiple times. That is wrong. He has never gone bankrupt. He has used the bankruptcy code several times (4 I think) to wind up projects he was involved in that weren't working out.

Now the Clinton email saga.

You may recall that Clinton said she never had any classified information on her server (March 10 at the UN). When it rapidly became apparent that this was untrue she had to amend her story to saying that she never sent any email marked classified. This may be the case but it is nothing to do with anything.

As has been explained incessantly on the networks since this story broke last night, information is classified, not emails. If an email contains classified information, by definition the email is classified, whether or not it is marked as such. Information is given a degree of classification by the agency generating it.

With the 7 email chains, 37 pages and 22 emails being too highly classified to release even heavily redacted versions, even the White House has now admitted that her server contained highly classified data. At this point there is no doubt - she has a big legal problem.

There are a further 18 emails being withheld between her and Obama, on the grounds that there needs to be free and frank exchange of information without fear of exposure. That doesn't sound unreasonable and presumably will be released once he has left office.

Democrats are claiming that the timing is suspicious - it isn't. State is under orders from a federal judge to release batches of her emails on the last working day of every month. That was Friday. What is suspicious is State has requested from the judge an extension - after the day of snow last week - of a MONTH before releasing 7k more of her emails. This will be beyond the first 3 primaries.

Totally off topic - One stunning stat that I saw today- 43% of Iowa democrats regard themselves as socialists.

Soon it will be over 50% in the USA.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    surbiton said:

isam said:

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

Here's mine.

Hm.

You are not alone.

Ah I see

I'd have thought if you lived nr the houses in the Evening Standard article from today, where 15 people were living in small houses in East London, you might think not having millions of economic migrants from the poorest parts of Europe might make your house worth more

Strange use of "effected" in that article
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Ydoethur said
    'I was perfectly aware of those figures, thank you. My reference was to the fact that Labour had for the first time since 1983, suffered a net loss of seats while in opposition. If you don't regard that as a disappointing result then I suggest you reassess your targets.

As for your suggestion that Labour is better placed than the Tories were in 2002, I must confess to blank astonishment that you would think that a useful comparison because 1) the Tories subsequently suffered a third devastating defeat with minimal increase in vote share and 2) the Tories have an eject mechanism to rid themselves of hopeless leaders - Labour do not.

At the moment Labour are on course for their most catastrophic defeat since 1959, possibly 1931, and merely splitting hairs about what constitutes a 'worse' defeat is reminiscent of Romans debating the concept of the Trinity as Rome collapsed about them in Gibbons' famous (if usually inaccurate) polemics on the subject.'

To take some of your points:
    Labour did indeed suffer a loss of seats in 2015 - but did make a net gain in relation to the Tories. In England there was a Con to Lab swing of just over 1% - nothing to get excited about but also far from disastrous given that it represented a net gain of four seats from the Tories.. To repeat my earlier comment Labour suffered heavier defeats in England in 2010 - 1992 - 1987 - 1983 - 1979 - and 1959.
    You suggest that the Tory defeat in 2005 was devastating , but I am not sure that losing the popular vote by 3% was 'devastating' - neither was reducing the Labour majority from 167 to 65. In reality it was a significant advance for the Tories and far removed from what the polls were implying in early 2002.Indeed if Labour were to follow the same pattern to 2020 it could expect to enjoy a lead of some margin by that date!
    I do agree with your point re- Labour's failure to get rid of duff leaders - and have made the same point myself. However, I don't believe that it is clear beyond doubt that Michael Howard performed better in 2005 than IDS would have done.We can never know for certain because whilst at one level Howard was more combative and perhaps effective , many also found him more voter repellent than IDS. When Ann Widdecombe referred to 'Something about the night' in relation to Howard , it rang true for many voters.
    I also go back to the 1987 and 1959 Parliaments. On both occasions it took Labour two years to move into a clear lead. Let us see if that happens again.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited January 2016
    SeanT said:

AndyJS said:

General instability, in the main (one of London's USPs is its impervious stability). Will scare investors. Also the possibility that jobs, esp in Finance, will migrate from London to Frankfurt and Paris (indeed I think it is almost certain this will happen). With jobs goes prosperity, plus that intangible sense that London is Where It's At In Europe.

As I say I reckon London would and should recover over a generation, but that's too late for me, speaking from pure selfishness.

Disagree. No reason for finance jobs to leave London. That's just your inner fear talking.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983
    Some people might consider a reduction in London property prices to be a beneficial aspect of Brexit.

I think it would make a difference at the margins, but no more than that.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

SeanT said:

Here's mine.

Hm.

You are not alone.

London Labour's attitude to the rest of the UK expressed in under ten words.

• Options
    isam said:

surbiton said:

isam said:

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

Here's mine.

Hm.

You are not alone.

Ah I see

I'd have thought if you lived nr the houses in the Evening Standard article from today, where 15 people were living in small houses in East London, you might think not having millions of economic migrants from the poorest parts of Europe might make your house worth more

Now-a-days many even English speaking people have real problem with spelling. Particularly, after the introduction of spell-checkers.

there; their; where; were, effect; affect etc.
  • Options
    Cameron displaying his one nation credentials in the Sunday Times

WHEN Enoch Powell stirred racial fury with his notorious “Rivers of Blood” speech in 1968, he recounted a conversation he claimed to have had with a constituent, “a decent, ordinary fellow-Englishman”.

Powell, who was subsequently sacked from the Tory shadow cabinet, quoted the man as saying: “In this country in 15 or 20 years’ time the black man will have the whip hand over the white man.”

Almost half a century later, it has fallen to another prominent Conservative figure to demonstrate how wrong that prediction was. It is to Britain’s enduring shame, David Cameron writes in The Sunday Times today, that a young black man in Britain is “more likely to be in a prison cell than studying at a top university”.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/article1662735.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2016_01_30
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    If it is all economic, why not pay people to leave?
  • Options

WHEN Enoch Powell stirred racial fury with his notorious “Rivers of Blood” speech in 1968, he recounted a conversation he claimed to have had with a constituent, “a decent, ordinary fellow-Englishman”.

Powell, who was subsequently sacked from the Tory shadow cabinet, quoted the man as saying: “In this country in 15 or 20 years’ time the black man will have the whip hand over the white man.”

Almost half a century later, it has fallen to another prominent Conservative figure to demonstrate how wrong that prediction was. It is to Britain’s enduring shame, David Cameron writes in The Sunday Times today, that a young black man in Britain is “more likely to be in a prison cell than studying at a top university”.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/article1662735.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2016_01_30

If you don't want the time, don't do the crime.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Cameron is gradually donning the Angela Merkel persona. I am beginning to like him
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    edited January 2016
    surbiton said:

Corrected it for Surbi.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

isam said:

surbiton said:

isam said:

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

Here's mine.

Hm.

You are not alone.

Ah I see

Now-a-days many even English speaking people have real problem with spelling. Particularly, after the introduction of spell-checkers.

there; their; where; were, effect; affect etc.
    Sounds like a lack of knowledge of grammar and comprehension than blaming spell-checkers, which have been around for 30 years. When I was using WordPerfect in the mid 80s that had a spell checker.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    AndyJS said:

Most people in prison are desperate and poor

Mass immigration means that immigrants tend to go straight to the bottom of society, do the worst jobs, be involved in crime etc because they are the poorest, not because of any racial or cultural difference

Another reason why we should only take in those in middle to high ranking employment and not just anyone who fancies it; it gives our own poor the chance to earn a living, and prevents immigrants from experiencing the problems Cameron refers to
  • Options

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

Here's mine.

Hm.

You are not alone.

Actually, you can drop the word "Labour" from it. Make it 9 words. Do you think most Londoners even know the house prices in the provinces.
  • Options
    Looking like a 2018/19 exit for Dave

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CZ_5ZRlW0AA90IU.jpg
  • Options

The shame should be felt by the person who commits the crime, not by Britain.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Patrick said:

Sean a vote for REMAIN means a vote for Brussels and its Euro socialist permanent credo to be in control of the City forever. Personally I think our financial services sector will do better in the long term (10 years) horizon if we are free than if the likes of Hollande are calling the shots.

Scotland? This is a heart not a head issue. Their heart has gone but the head won't let them. I have experienced anti-English abuse in Aberdeen and Glasgow. A colleague of mine recently went on holiday to Skye and said he found it unsettling to feel so foreign. Personally, I resent the significantly higher public spending per head they enjoy and the fact that England is the only EU regions whose citizens don't qualify for free university there. If LEAVE means Scotland goes I'd be torn, but there's a big part of me that'd feel I was getting a twofer. I want a fully federal UK now.

If voting Leave means that we get out of the EU and Scotland might finally vote for independence, where is the problem? Looks like a win/win to me. What is the worst that can happen? Scotland stays in the UK? OK, not ideal but I could live with it. Maybe we could take the opportunity and re-arrange our constitution to a fully federal arrangement. Maybe England could finally divest itself of the legacy of some of its medieval kings' egotism, who knows.
  • Options
    isam said:

AndyJS said:

Mass immigration means that immigrants tend to go straight to the bottom of society, do the worst jobs, be involved in crime etc because they are the poorest, not because of any racial or cultural difference

Another reason why we should only take in those in middle to high ranking employment and not just anyone who fancies it; it gives our own poor the chance to earn a living, and prevents immigrants from experiencing the problems Cameron refers to
    Who will clean the offices ? Pick the strawberries ? Serve you in restaurants ? Because no one t wants to pay any more for the produce or the services.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

AndyJS said:

General instability, in the main (one of London's USPs is its impervious stability). Will scare investors. Also the possibility that jobs, esp in Finance, will migrate from London to Frankfurt and Paris (indeed I think it is almost certain this will happen). With jobs goes prosperity, plus that intangible sense that London is Where It's At In Europe.

As I say I reckon London would and should recover over a generation, but that's too late for me, speaking from pure selfishness.

Disagree. No reason for finance jobs to leave London. That's just your inner fear talking.

Possibly. But no one really knows, do they? No big country has ever left the EU, let alone the EU's second largest economy.

Eurosceptics who claim to know the obvious, unworrying consquences of Brexit are talking bullshit. Equally, europhiles who claim to know how the UK would happily fare in the EU in five years time are also lying.

So if we don't know either way...

Cry Freedom! And let slip the dogs of war cats of peace.

Better to live on your feet, than die on your knees.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Invite someone into the country and chuck them into the roughest areas to do the worst jobs and a high percentage of people would turn to crime. Throw in the racial problems exacerbated by competition for work between immigrants and natives and it is a recipe for disaster, that the government should take responsibility for
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

As Michael Gove said the crime costs us all, so we should looking to help the vulnerable, and make sure they don't commit any crimes.

Is the Christian thing to do.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

surbiton said:

Corrected it for Surbi.
    My innate modesty prevented me from writing that.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

isam said:

AndyJS said:

Who will clean the offices ? Pick the strawberries ? Serve you in restaurants ? Because no one t wants to pay any more for the produce or the services.
    The people who are currently claiming JSA if I had my way
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    Patrick said:

Who is this 'enemy'?
  • Options
    I am looking forward to the Tory love-in re: BREXIT.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

As Michael Gove said the crime costs us all, so we should looking to help the vulnerable, and make sure they don't commit any crimes.

Sure, but people who commit crimes should be expected to accept responsibility for doing so. We shouldn't be passing the blame on to society.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Patrick said:

Who is this 'enemy'?
    Those who are attacking our culture. We are engaged in 4 wars at the moment:

1) Economic.
    2) Religious
    3) Cultural
    4) Political

Each one has different combinations of enemies with different goals.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

You are not alone.

Actually, you can drop the word "Labour" from it. Make it 9 words. Do you think most Londoners even know the house prices in the provinces.
    Bit of a problem then for a Labour party increasingly dominated by Londoners that there is such a disdain towards those places where general elections are won and lost.

BTW South Africa and Canada have provinces, the UK doesn't.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,402
    surbiton said:

AndyJS said:

Cameron is gradually donning the Angela Merkel persona. I am beginning to like him
    He has been giving some excellent speeches of late and is showing a willingness to confront real problems that our society has swept under the carpet for far too long.

Sean_F is of course correct that the person in prison for a crime did the crime and is responsible for the consequences. But the fact that our society gives such poor life chances to significant minorities is shameful.

His speech on the importance of integration and the rejection of a patriarchal society in our midst that rejects our ideas of equality for its women was also spot on. If we are to be genuinely comfortable with each other we don't need to be all the same colour or religion but we do need to share common values that we can support as a society. These will evolve over time, as they have in respect of homosexuality in my life time, but our view needs to evolve together.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sure, but people who commit crimes should be expected to accept responsibility for doing so. We shouldn't be passing the blame on to society.
    Indeed, personal responsibility is the core of good conservatism, but I also want people to have the same advantages and opportunities I did growing up.
  • Options
    isam said:

surbiton said:

isam said:

AndyJS said:

The people who are currently claiming JSA if I had my way
    One fifth of the people in prison are muslim - that is about 3 times the current national rate.

And anyway - the increase in the living wage is supposed to encourage more people take up jobs - although we have an employment rate that is almost at record levels. (Of course it will reduce the demand for jobs - the problem is to hit a happy medium.)
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

Here's mine.

I also think we'd negotiate free movement

Hm.

You are not alone.

Many Britons remain fairly heavily mortgaged, due to low inflation no longer eroding their debts and low interest rates encouraging large debts. It wouldn't take much of a downturn in in house prices to push a lot of people underwater into negative equity.

Obviously the shortage of supply relative to demand is not being solved quickly, but then George is promising a housebuilding spree. The Chinese are not buying in London, and the Russians and Arabs are heading towards distress sales to to problems with their own domestic assets. A few sales could turn into a rout in London, leading to a wave of selling. The negative equity would lead to a futher round of stress on the retail banks.

I reckon I can weather the storm but I would steer clear of buying property at the moment. Brexit could well be the precipitating factor of an avalanche of trouble.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Patrick said:

Sun several hours over the yardarm where you are?
    I presume you live in... er... Scotland?

In all honesty, I don't think Scots have any idea how mass immigration is impacting on English cities, and on the English psyche.

There are zillions more migrants in England, and the population density in England is, what, eight times that north of the Border?

This should please you. It's another cultural difference that you can use to lever Scotland out of the UK. It is also a statement of fact. England absorbs the migrants, not Scotland. I doubt there is a single Scottish town, let alone city, which is anywhere near a non-native-British majority, as has already happened in London, Luton, Slough, etc.
    Evidently, therefore not where Patrick is (in every sense).

As you say, it's a fact. Another is that the influx of immigrants has been encouraged to a lesser or greater degree by every recent government the English have voted for with barely a tremor of deviation caused by the Celtic fringes. For better or worse it's also been a major part of the SE economic 'miracle' without which we feckless & impecunious country cousins are told we could not survive. Therefore I'm tempted to say suck it up.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    surbiton said:

isam said:

AndyJS said:

If no one wants to do it, pay will increase and some people will then want to do it. That, or the supply of strawberries will fall.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    New poll from Emnid:

CDU/CSU 34%
    SPD 24%
    AfD 12%
    Linke 10%
    Greens 9%
    FDP 5%
    Others 6%

http://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,054

It seemed to me that in his Conference speech after the GE Cameron was the most pumped up on the section that touched on this sort of issue - the attacks on Labour, by contrast, felt more there for the sake of the thing.
  • Options

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

Here's mine.

I also think we'd negotiate free movement

Hm.

You are not alone.

Many Britons remain fairly heavily mortgaged, due to low inflation no longer eroding their debts and low interest rates encouraging large debts. It wouldn't take much of a downturn in in house prices to push a lot of people underwater into negative equity.

Obviously the shortage of supply relative to demand is not being solved quickly, but then George is promising a housebuilding spree. The Chinese are not buying in London, and the Russians and Arabs are heading towards distress sales to to problems with their own domestic assets. A few sales could turn into a rout in London, leading to a wave of selling. The negative equity would lead to a futher round of stress on the retail banks.

I reckon I can weather the storm but I would steer clear of buying property at the moment. Brexit could well be the precipitating factor of an avalanche of trouble.

"Brexit could well be the precipitating factor of an avalanche of trouble."

And staying in the EU could stagnate us and cause even more trouble.

Property is overpriced either way.

• Options
    Marie Osmond has lost 50 pounds on Nutrisystem.

How I know this is that on the news networks it seems to feature in every break. The coverage is mind numbing. CNN just had a 4 box screen up showing 4 rallies concurrently.

Fox News has taken over most of the Embassy Suites in Des Moines, one of those hotels with rooms round a covered central area with bars, restaurants, water features etc. They have a nice big set.

CNN is stuck on an outside balcony opposite the state house. They are all bundled up in thick coats, scarves, gloves etc. Quite a contrast.
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    Strawberry picking machine - http://www.agrobot.com/ ... the danger is, everybody i becoming unemployable.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    AndyJS said:

New poll from Emnid:

Pretty chart version

CDU/CSU 34%
    █████████████████████████
    SPD 24%
    █████████████████▌
    AfD 12%
    █████████
    Linke 10%
    ███████▌
    Greens 9%
    ██████▌
    FDP 5%
    ███▌
    Others 6%
    ████▌

https://www.nojam.com/post/520
  • Options
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

isam said:

AndyJS said:

If no one wants to do it, pay will increase and some people will then want to do it. That, or the supply of strawberries will fall.
    At that point we eat Spanish rather than Kentish strawberries.
  • Options
    A reduction in house prices - that, for me, is an additional benefit of Brexit: a desirable shift in net wealth from older property owners to those barely on (or with insufficient income to yet get on) the property ladder.
  • Options

RobD said:

surbiton said:

isam said:

AndyJS said:

At that point we eat Spanish rather than Kentish strawberries.
    Importing from Johnny Foreigner will increase our Carbon Thumbprint :)
This discussion has been closed.