Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : January 28th 2016

Comments

• Options
    EPG said:

EPG said:

PB fogeys will salivate over free speech when it's used to attack Muslims as sex-criminal barbarians, but when it is used to suggest that Rhodes was a bad man, free speech must be punished because its consequences that pro-Rhodes millionaires might be offended

That's not the issue, it is simply wrong to judge a man by today's standards (and only to focus on the negatives)

For example we should tear down any statute of Nelson Mandela if we follow that logic.

Worst of all, it has caused me to defend an Oxford college and Oxford University in general.
    The issue seems to be that millionaires can decide the policies of a college and by extension of a university
    Which is problematic as it suggests that greed outweighs debate even in a place where the latter is meant to totally outweigh the former
    So maybe that is a consolation you can take re your attitude to Oxford? That they are greedy
    Nope.
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    Scott_P said:

@NickCohen4: I deplore the repressive UK libel laws but if @jk_rowling wants to sue the living daylights out of @NatalieMcGarry, I'll hold her coat

I don't like JK Rowling but I'd help him too.

McGarry however summed up twitter and its overrated sense of self importance and its general level of intelligence
    ''Rather than continuing the debate, the MP told her followers she was stepping onto a plane and users could "scream your uninformed Twitter outrage into the empty void" in the meantime.''
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    EPG said:

EPG said:

PB fogeys will salivate over free speech when it's used to attack Muslims as sex-criminal barbarians, but when it is used to suggest that Rhodes was a bad man, free speech must be punished because its consequences that pro-Rhodes millionaires might be offended

That's not the issue, it is simply wrong to judge a man by today's standards (and only to focus on the negatives)

For example we should tear down any statute of Nelson Mandela if we follow that logic.

Worst of all, it has caused me to defend an Oxford college and Oxford University in general.
    The issue seems to be that millionaires can decide the policies of a college and by extension of a university
    Which is problematic as it suggests that greed outweighs debate even in a place where the latter is meant to totally outweigh the former
    So maybe that is a consolation you can take re your attitude to Oxford? That they are greedy
    Money is useful to organisations. Who knew?
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited January 2016
    Tonight I will be having a split screen moment watching Trump's event, the debate and google trends to see how it's all going.
    So unfortunately for those expecting my traditional live commentary of the usual nonsense of the GOP debates will have to wait for the ABC debate next Tuesday.

So far the battle starts with Trump having 6-7 times more interest than his closest rival Ted Cruz:
    https://www.google.com/trends/story/US_cu_5NL_ZVIBAABJNM_en

Note the point where Trump doubles his already high score the moment he made his debate announcement.
  • Options
    Oh god - did she actually just compare Cologne to Birmingham....?
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited January 2016
    EPG said:

You'd have to be an utter dick to cut off funding to your alma mater because they took down a statue of Cecil Rhodes. Come on.

Why? Are people not allowed to do as they wish with their own money?

If students don't like it the answer's clear. Don't apply to that college, and don't accept the funding if you don't like the source.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,028
    Danny565 said:

Loathe though I am to join in the "lefty BBC" brigade, I have to chortle at Question Time managing to find an audience overwhelmingly in favour of letting refugees in in LINCOLNSHIRE (the UKIP heartland) of all places.

I don't even think it's the BBC's fault, they have strict quotas for QT (I think). On Any Questions where anyone can come in it is even worse. I think left wingers are just more naturally attracted to this sort of thing.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited January 2016
    EPG said:

You'd have to be an utter dick to cut off funding to your alma mater because they took down a statue of Cecil Rhodes. Come on.

The utter dicks are the ones calling for it to be taken down. You can't change history through gestures of that kind.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,079
    watford30 said:

EPG said:

Of course you are free to do what you wish
    For instance, if you are a dick, you might decide that Cecil Rhodes is so worth commemorating that you will blackmail a college into retaining testimonial or memorial statues to him
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    Scott_P said:

@MichaelPDeacon: JK Rowling is now through to the next round of Twitter, where she'll face Kanye West for a place in Sunday's final against Donald Trump

@MichaelPDeacon: Disappointing result for Wings, gave everything tonight but possibly lacking that bit of experience at this level

Ah but all bets off; there is breaking windy news of the latest doping scandal just in. The biggest dope on twitter is ....
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,214
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

The poll on the last thread comparing Bloomberg v Hillary and Trump/Cruz is irrelevant as Bloomberg's spokesman made quite clear on CNN he would not run if Hillary is the Democratic nominee, only if Sanders is the Democratic nominee and Trump/Cruz is the GOP candidate

He won't run against Hillary, but if she drops out and they parachute someone else in, he might run against them.
    He would not run against Biden either, the only nominee he would run against would be Sanders
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited January 2016
    As I think I've mentioned here once before, there was once an attempt by undergraduates at Christ Church to launch a rocket from Tom Quad. The objective of the mission was to look for signs of intelligent life in Oriel.

Unfortunately it was a damp squib, as was only to be expected from Christ Church undergraduates, who are traditionally more suited to being Prime Ministers than getting involved in practical stuff.

Pity, because the results could have been interesting.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,698
    edited January 2016
    Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

Loathe though I am to join in the "lefty BBC" brigade, I have to chortle at Question Time managing to find an audience overwhelmingly in favour of letting refugees in in LINCOLNSHIRE (the UKIP heartland) of all places.

I don't even think it's the BBC's fault, they have strict quotas for QT (I think). On Any Questions where anyone can come in it is even worse. I think left wingers are just more naturally attracted to this sort of thing.
    It isn't that.

A few years ago I watched question time a few years ago, and the questions from normal members of the public included questions from

1) The Labour PPC for a nearby constituency
    2) The wife of the Tory council leader (herself a soon to be councillor)
    3) A Lib Dem agent/activist

If you weren't from the area and didn't know your local politics, you would have thought these were members of the general public
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

Interetingly, and pretty much in line with government policy, even the QT audience reaction suggests there is sympathy with refugees, but little appetite to allow mass imitation.

Dave has nailed this - Corbyn is the one for unlimited immigration and visiting people who are in France, he is for sensible help and taking people from the camps.
  • Options
    EPG said:

watford30 said:

EPG said:

For instance, if you are a dick, you might decide that Cecil Rhodes is so worth commemorating that you will blackmail a college into retaining testimonial or memorial statues to him
    Or if you're a student dick, you could run a silly, and ultimately pointless campaign to have a statue removed.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

EPG said:

The utter dicks are the ones calling for it to be taken down. You can't change history through gestures of that kind.
    I don't think anyone believes you can change history so I wonder if you are arguing in bad faith here
    It's probably about deciding whether Cecil Rhodes was so awesome that a big statue commemorating his life should be pride of an Oxford college
    (PS I like your YouTube videos)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,214

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

The poll on the last thread comparing Bloomberg v Hillary and Trump/Cruz is irrelevant as Bloomberg's spokesman made quite clear on CNN he would not run if Hillary is the Democratic nominee, only if Sanders is the Democratic nominee and Trump/Cruz is the GOP candidate

He won't run against Hillary, but if she drops out and they parachute someone else in, he might run against them.
    Is it at all conceivable that if Hillary wins the nomination and is then indicted, the Democrats could give Bloomberg a clear run against Trump?
    All her delegates would have to switch to Bloomberg to do so and Sanders, almost certainly a very strong runner-up, would run against Bloomberg anyway as the 'true Democrat candidate', he has already said he would 'relish running against 2 New York billionaires'
  • Options
    Stockton on Tees result: L 52,5% (+6,7) C: 31,9% (+4,8) UKIP: 9,9% (+9,9) LD: 5,7% (+0,2)
  • Options
    EPG said:

You'd have to be an utter boikey to call for the removal of the statue of the man who's effectively funding your studies at Oxford. Come on.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    EPG said:

EPG said:

I think "needy" rather than "greedy", old chap. Someone who is dependent on the goodwill of others for their lifestyle has to be a little careful, especially when they are complete tossers unfit to run a whelk stall and some, at least, of their students, supposedly the cream of the cream, seem to have the intellectual capacity that would be more suited to a third rate ex-poly.

Nevermind the donations from former students, I question why Oxford is treated any different to say the London Metropolitan University by the state.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

EPG said:

watford30 said:

EPG said:

Or if you're a student dick, you could run a silly, and ultimately pointless campaign to have a statue removed.
    Well one seems more harmful than the other doesn't it:
    A student does the things students do every generation, at least the interesting ones
    A millionaire imposes his political views through the power of money
  • Options
    EPG said:

AndyJS said:

EPG said:

I don't think anyone believes you can change history so I wonder if you are arguing in bad faith here
    It's probably about deciding whether Cecil Rhodes was so awesome that a big statue commemorating his life should be pride of an Oxford college
    Rhodes has done an awful lot for Oxford - helped to make it (or perhaps maintain it as) the world beater it is today.

Henry VIII was a nasty peice of work. But the idea of taking down the Holbein in ChCh hall wouldn't get any traction.
  • Options

As I think I've mentioned here once before, there was once an attempt by undergraduates at Christ Church to launch a rocket from Tom Quad. The objective of the mission was to look for signs of intelligent life in Oriel.

Unfortunately it was a damp squib, as was only to be expected from Christ Church undergraduates, who are traditionally more suited to being Prime Ministers than getting involved in practical stuff.

Pity, because the results could have been interesting.

Christ Church also produced Mark Reckless.

If JohnO is reading, Balliol produces the best politicians at Oxford.
  • Options
    Switched over from QT to The World at War on "Yesterday" (Freeview 12).
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    EPG said:

watford30 said:

EPG said:

watford30 said:

EPG said:

A student does the things students do every generation, at least the interesting ones
    The whingers seem more than happy to be on the receiving end of the millionaire's money.

Sadly. these third rate half-wits aren't doing anything remotely interesting. Whinging about a statue? Hardly groundbreaking.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,616
    edited January 2016
    I've been to Oxford... station. Does that count? :lol:

EDIT: and Oxford Parkway (opened last October).
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

It isn't that.

A few years ago I watched question time a few years ago, and the questions from normal members of the public included questions from

1) The Labour PPC for a nearby constituency
    2) The wife of the Tory council leader (herself a soon to be councillor)
    3) A Lib Dem agent/activist

If you weren't from the area and didn't know your local politics, you would have thought these were members of the general public
    Huh hmm, BNC.
  • Options

EPG said:

You'd have to be an utter boikey to call for the removal of the statue of the man who's effectively funding your studies at Oxford. Come on.
    Non sequitur
    By the money buys consent argument, the LSE should put up a statue of Gaddafi
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

watford30 said:

Huzzah, Rhodes will NOT fall

Cecil Rhodes statue to remain at Oxford University after alumni threatens to withdraw millions

Exclusive: Threats by alumni to withdraw millions in donations prompted Oriel College decision, leaked documents reveal

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/12128151/Cecil-Rhodes-statue-to-remain-at-Oxford-University-after-alumni-threatens-to-withdraw-millions.html

'One of those who has already cancelled their legacy was going to leave a “seven figure sum” and the college is aware that “another major donor is furious with the College… whose legacy could be in excess of £100m”.

Oriel is now preparing to make redundancies among its staff because of the collapse in donations. And it has cancelled an annual fundraising drive that should have taken place in April. It could now make an operating loss of around £200,000 this year.'

What an unadulterated fiasco.
    Clowns running the campaign, jokers running the College.
    I bet there was a sharp intake of breath amongst the dons when the 100 million bloke announced he was reconsidering his position.
    There was a young man from St John's
    Who wanted to bugger the swans
    "Oh no," said the porter,
    "Please bugger my daughter,
    The swans are reserved for the dons"
    Very witty
    Not mine, I hasten to add - the brilliant rightwing historian Robert Conquest. He had a total gift for limericks.

Here's another:

There was plenty of good-natured chaff
    When I popped in to fuck the giraffe,
    And the PRZS
    Could hardly suppress
    A dry professorial laugh.

That makes me chuckle every single time I read it, and I've read it maybe 2000000 times.
    Another Conquest one:

A usage that's seldom got right
    Is when to say 'shit' and when 'shite'.
    And many a chap
    Will fall back on 'crap',
    Which is vulgar, evasive and trite.
  • Options
    I'd hazard that most of the people who claim that Britain's railways are expensive don't frequent them....
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,213
    AndyJS said:

Mortimer said:

People in Calais are NOT in terrible danger.

They're in France. FFS.

Well said. Total denial from the left on this issue, as we've come to expect.
    You've clearly never been stuck in a lift with a couple of unwashed Frenchmen
  • Options
    watford30 said:

EPG said:

watford30 said:

EPG said:

watford30 said:

EPG said:

The students seem more than happy to be on the receiving end of the millionaire's money. Sadly. these third rate students aren't doing anything remotely interesting. Whining about a statue? Hardly groundbreaking.
    He also said the French tricolour was comparable to the Nazi swastika.

Dude has issues.
  • Options
    EPG said:

EPG said:

Non sequitur
    If he's so "offended" by Rhodes why did he accept the scholarship in the first place?
  • Options
    Jess is a right witterrer isn't she!

She keeps trying to make funny comments, but just sounds unprofessional.
  • Options
    The QT audience might be representative but it's doubtful whether the minority who actually speak are.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

Is it at all conceivable that if Hillary wins the nomination and is then indicted, the Democrats could give Bloomberg a clear run against Trump?
    I genuinely don't
    know. But it's an intriguing proposition
  • Options
    Re Bloomberg: I appreciate that the Luntz 'poll' is not to be taken too seriously, but if he were in the reported position of Bloomberg: 29%, Trump: 37%, Hillary: 33%, then that is a very good start, surely? It's the kind of position from which victory would be conceivable - probably even more so if you make it Bloomberg/Trump/Sanders.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

Mortimer said:

They're in France. FFS.

I did very nearly include the caveat 'unless you want to go to a supermarket on a Monday'
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

I love Jess, she told Diane Abbott to f*ck off.

I nearly did a thread tipping her as next Labour leader but Tissue Price told me not to be so flipping stupid.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    watford30 said:

EPG said:

If students don't like it the answer's clear. Don't apply to that college, and don't accept the funding if you don't like the source.
    Yeah, and if you hate the White Man so much

don't put on his clothes (a shirt, suit and tie, for example)
    don't speak his language (the language of Shakespeare)
    don't benefit from his culture (the rule of law, education, free speech, human rights)

You do have other options. Stay on the dark continent, or join f***ing ISIS.
  • Options

Stockton on Tees result: L 52,5% (+6,7) C: 31,9% (+4,8) UKIP: 9,9% (+9,9) LD: 5,7% (+0,2)

Staggeringly good results for all the parties there
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,190
    rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

Mortimer said:

They're in France. FFS.

Have you ever been stuck in a lift with a couple of washed Frenchmen?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

EPG said:

AndyJS said:

EPG said:

Rhodes has done an awful lot for Oxford - helped to make it (or perhaps maintain it as) the world beater it is today.

Henry VIII was a nasty peice of work. But the idea of taking down the Holbein in ChCh hall wouldn't get any traction.
    Oh certainly but Holbein being one of the top European artists, there is an argument to artistic merit
    The centuries-long royal patronage of Oxford is of course the ultimate example of the top university (regardless of country) as veiled servant of established power rather than discourse and new ideas, which are more likely to come from an East Anglian ex-poly or God forgive me Brendan O'Neill
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    So I've defended Oxford and France tonight.

Damn you RhodesMustFallers.

I need to go to bed
  • Options

Mortimer said:

I love Jess, she told Diane Abbott to f*ck off.

I nearly did a thread tipping her as next Labour leader but Tissue Price told me not to be so flipping stupid.
    Oh don't get me wrong, she's great.

But TP is bang on. She would alienate the Islingtonites.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Green and Independent and Libertarian's 22% of previous votes shared around.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Mortimer said:

EPG said:

AndyJS said:

EPG said:

Oh certainly but Holbein being one of the top European artists, there is an argument to artistic merit
    The centuries-long royal patronage of Oxford is of course the ultimate example of the top university (regardless of country) as veiled servant of established power rather than discourse and new ideas, which are more likely to come from an East Anglian ex-poly or God forgive me Brendan O'Neill
    I am biased, but Oxford was one of the most inclusive and intellectually open places I've ever been.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,157

I'm launching a war (Jihad if you like) on the idiots on the left and the idiots on the right who keep on doing down this country of ours.

Everytime you think PB can't get weirder...

• Options
    Why is it unfair that demand determines price, Yasmin.

You get a service, you pay for it.

They could move closer to work if they don't like the cost of the commute.
  • Options

EPG said:

EPG said:

Non sequitur
    If he's so "offended" by Rhodes why did he accept the scholarship in the first place?
    It's not clear that he is offended
    It appears he thinks Rhodes was a bad man (ergo remove statue) whose money was illegitimately gotten (ergo take it and use it for a better cause)
    Certainly PBers would have no problem with taking money from bookmakers, even though we know some of it ultimately comes from problem gamblers, it doesn't mean we endorse problem gambling
  • Options
    edited January 2016

rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

Mortimer said:

They're in France. FFS.

Have you ever been stuck in a lift with a couple of washed Frenchmen?
    "Have you ever seen a grown man naked?"
    - Captain Oveur in "Airplane" :lol:
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Oh, and the LibDems got 0.2% of the 22% up for grabs. That is stretching "staggeringly good for all parties...." to dangerous tension...
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

watford30 said:

EPG said:

don't benefit from his culture (the rule of law, education, free speech, human rights)

You do have other options. Stay on the dark continent, or join f***ing ISIS.
    Oh dear
    This racist imperial nostalgia is certainly not representative of the pro-Rhodes statue comments from others
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

rcs1000 said:

Oh, and the LibDems got 0.2% of the 22% up for grabs. That is stretching "staggeringly good for all parties...." to dangerous tension...
    Still probably the highlight of Tim Fallon's leadership so far.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

rcs1000 said:

Who ?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,943
    edited January 2016
    Osborne's being smacked in the Googlies!

#OutOfHisDepth #NotUpToIt
  • Options
    I haven't watched QT yet but that's a great moustache:

https://twitter.com/hashtag/bbcqt?src=tren
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,943

Re Bloomberg: I appreciate that the Luntz 'poll' is not to be taken too seriously, but if he were in the reported position of Bloomberg: 29%, Trump: 37%, Hillary: 33%, then that is a very good start, surely? It's the kind of position from which victory would be conceivable - probably even more so if you make it Bloomberg/Trump/Sanders.

I've always thought Trump as POTUS is distinctly possible personally....
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

It's almost certainly not a Holbein. I guess that might be a metaphor for something or other.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Mortimer said:

I'd hazard that most of the people who claim that Britain's railways are expensive don't frequent them....

Well I am off on some travels next week and I was pleasantly surprised how low the rail fares were, especially as I'll be travelling first class. However, those very reasonable fares were only possible because I am old and I booked in advance and I must travel on the specific trains. For a younger person to just turn up and buy a ticket to travel rail fares are absurdly expensive (a 1st Class return From Euston to Manchester tomorrow morning will set you back £475, £332 cattle class).

So Britain's' railways are expensive, very expensive, but can be "gamed". How they compare to railways on the continent I am not too sure, I suspect fairly well.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

"LibDems - spinning here!"
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

rcs1000 said:

What's been the highlight of Jeremy Corbyn's leadership?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Certainly it's being looking quite possible for a while now. Not probable, but possible.
  • Options
    A focus group is probably better for Bloomberg right now. Till someone actually does something they won't get any traction with the public.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

"LibDems - spinning here!"
    In their grave.....
  • Options
    If I may politely, if strenuously, disagree. Her monstering by the Sun is disproportionate and distasteful.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Certainly it's being looking quite possible for a while now. Not probable, but possible.
    Stop your crazy talk.

*Stares mournfully at my betting portfolio on the US Presidential race*
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    viewcode said:

If I may politely, if strenuously, disagree. Her monstering by the Sun is disproportionate and distasteful.
    Yes, they should leave Rita alone.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Some light relief compared to the Mirror's front page today.

Now that IS a monster.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Mortimer said:

Sunil's Great British Railway Journeys of 2015

(NB. these are routes that Sunil never did before Jan 1st 2015 - note, due to ELBOW, the paucity of routes prior to Election Day!):

January:
    Alvechurch re-doubling (Redditch Branch)

April:
    Nuneaton to Leicester
    (also Ashford to Brussels and then on to Amsterdam)

May:
    Tamworth to Derby
    Wolverhampton St George's singling (Midland Metro)

June:
    Birmingham to Cheltenham Spa (via Camp Hill Line and Droitwich/Worcester avoider)
    Swindon to Cheltenham via Gloucester
    Worcester to Ashchurch

July:
    Worcester to Oxford
    Peterborough to Leicester
    Oakham to Kettering
    Cambridge to Peterborough via Ely

August:
    Hitchin Flyover
    Grantham to Nottingham
    Nottingham to Long Eaton
    Ashford to Dover

September:
    Bristol Temple Meads to Cheltenham Spa (via Gloucester avoider)
    Stoke-on-Trent to Derby
    Shrewsbury to Crewe
    Shrewsbury to Hereford

October:
    Crewe to Wigan North Western
    East Grinstead to Sheffield Park (Bluebell Railway)
    Newbury to Westbury
    Westbury to Frome
    Westbury to Bath Spa
    Longleat Railway (Longleat Safari Park)
    Crewe to Chester
    Colchester to Norwich

November:
    Bicester Curve (ie. Oxford Parkway)
    Wimbledon new platform 10 (Tramlink)
    Crewe to Liverpool Lime Street
    James Street to Liverpool Lime Street (clockwise)
    Ashford to Ramsgate via Canterbury West

December:
    Basingstoke to Southampton Central
    St Pauls to Bull Street (Midland Metro)
    Colchester to Clacton
    Whitstable to Ramsgate via Margate
  • Options
    edited January 2016

GIN1138 said:

Stop your crazy talk.

@Pong posted his book today. He's also got a small implied loss (Should he not alter it) if Trump wins Iowa, the nomination and the presidency.

-45 Trump Iowa, 0 GOP, -£1 Trump POTUS I think.

He was +£33,000 Bloomberg and some other interesting stuff though :)
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Stop your crazy talk.

Mr. Eagles, are you seriously trying to tell us you do not already have a few quid on Trump to win? Not even just enough to cover your stakes on the other, more likely, runners? I shall be very disappointed if such a thoughtful fellow such as yourself has been betting entirely from the heart.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

(NB. these are routes that Sunil never did before Jan 1st 2015 - note, due to ELBOW, the paucity of routes prior to Election Day!):

January:

April:
    Nuneaton to Leicester

May:
    Tamworth to Derby

June:
    Birmingham to Cheltenham Spa (via Camp Hill Line and Droitwich/Worcester avoider)
    Worcester to Ashchurch

July:
    Worcester to Oxford
    Oakham to Kettering

August:
    Hitchin Flyover
    Grantham to Nottingham
    Nottingham to Long Eaton
    Ashford to Dover

September:
    Stoke-on-Trent to Derby
    Shrewsbury to Crewe
    Shrewsbury to Hereford

October:
    Newbury to Westbury
    Westbury to Frome
    Westbury to Bath Spa
    Crewe to Chester
    Colchester to Norwich

November:

December:
    Colchester to Clacton
    Crikey, Sunil, it is about time your Mum found you a nice girl.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    EPG said:

chestnut said:

Apologies if old news, but Havering vote 30-15 to leave EU

Two 25-30s in my home tonight commenced conversation which basically was UK should vote to Leave.

The first is the daughter of Greek Cypriot migrants, the second of Turkish. Both pretty well paid City workers.

We're leaving. If twenty odd year old second generation, city working migrants think it's a shambles, remain has no hope.

Conversation centred on murder and sexual molestation.

Nah. Small sample size. It's like reading PB comment and concluding that everyone in Britain regardless of sex, orientation or ethnicity is a Tory.
    Not if you know them, EPG.

They are both Labour leaning, and "should" be the nailed-on remainers.

They were also talking about some Facebook video of Muslims arguing with people carrying crosses in Luton. A complete mystery to me, but apparently viral.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

GIN1138 said:

Stop your crazy talk.

Mr. Eagles, are you seriously trying to tell us you do not already have a few quid on Trump to win? Not even just enough to cover your stakes on the other, more likely, runners? I shall be very disappointed if such a thoughtful fellow such as yourself has been betting entirely from the heart.
    You know the phrase, when you're in a hole, stop digging. Me, I hired a fleet of JCBs to make the hole bigger.

I've allowed my dislike of Trump to get the better of me.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

It would appear she tried to blag £33m. Of National Lottery money. There's a lot worse than monstering coming her way, I would suggest.....
  • Options
    David Schneider Verified account ‏@davidschneider 40m40 minutes ago

How can we take 3000 children when we’re only the world’s 7th richest country and the top 1000’s wealth has only doubled in 5 years #bbcqt
  • Options
    It's David Schneider and his lefty mates that have ruined this country !
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Stop your crazy talk.

You know the phrase, when you're in a hole, stop digging. Me, I hired a fleet of JCBs to make the hole bigger.

Tsk, tsk, tsk, Mr. Eagles, and you an editor of a betting site too. You are in a position of influence, a position that new young punters should be able to look up to as an example to follow. Putting money on your likes and dislikes, indeed, disgraceful.

Its people like you that make Shadsy and his ilk rich.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

watford30 said:

EPG said:

I'm fairly sure the rule of law and education predate the British. And your second point ("don't speak his language") is incompatible with your third point ("free speech"). And if you think clothing is copyright of the country that produced it, then the Brits just lost the LBD, the bikini, sunglasses, the leather jacket, the zip...

I would continue, but I've just realised this is five minutes of my life I'll never get back.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Stop your crazy talk.

Tsk, tsk, tsk, Mr. Eagles, and you an editor of a betting site too. You are in a position of influence, a position that new young punters should be able to look up to as an example to follow. Putting money on your likes and dislikes, indeed, disgraceful.

Indeed. I guess I'll stick to doing only threads about AV/electoral reform.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Stop your crazy talk.

The occasional Scottish thread wouldn't come amiss, especially on Sunday Mornings.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

January:

April:
    Nuneaton to Leicester

May:
    Tamworth to Derby

June:
    Worcester to Ashchurch

July:
    Worcester to Oxford
    Oakham to Kettering

August:
    Hitchin Flyover
    Grantham to Nottingham
    Nottingham to Long Eaton
    Ashford to Dover

September:
    Stoke-on-Trent to Derby
    Shrewsbury to Crewe
    Shrewsbury to Hereford

October:
    Newbury to Westbury
    Westbury to Frome
    Westbury to Bath Spa
    Crewe to Chester
    Colchester to Norwich

November:

December:
    Colchester to Clacton
    January 2016:
    Kidsgrove to Manchester Piccadilly
    Overton to Salisbury
    Ashford to Eastbourne via Hastings
    Manningtree to Harwich Town
    (also visited the brand new Coventry Arena and Bermuda Park on the Cov to Nuneaton line)
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Stop your crazy talk.

Sunil J. Prasannan is calling for...

:lol:
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Stop your crazy talk.

Sunil J. Prasannan is calling for...

:lol:
    I've got an Enoch Powell thread coming up as well. Where do you stand on that ?
  • Options

Mortimer said:

January:

April:
    Nuneaton to Leicester

May:
    Tamworth to Derby

June:
    Worcester to Ashchurch

July:
    Worcester to Oxford
    Oakham to Kettering

August:
    Hitchin Flyover
    Grantham to Nottingham
    Nottingham to Long Eaton
    Ashford to Dover

September:
    Stoke-on-Trent to Derby
    Shrewsbury to Crewe
    Shrewsbury to Hereford

October:
    Newbury to Westbury
    Westbury to Frome
    Westbury to Bath Spa
    Crewe to Chester
    Colchester to Norwich

November:

December:
    Colchester to Clacton
    January 2016:
    Overton to Salisbury
    (also visited the brand new Coventry Arena and Bermuda Park on the Cov to Nuneaton line)
    Each to their own, Cap'n Doc. At least you didn't get out at Hastings

Sussex is unusual as a county in that it has two candidate arseholes - Crawley and Hastings. Into which one God would really thrust the enema tube has never been satisfactorily decided.
  • Options
    MPs planning to move into temporary accommodation during the refurbishment of the Palace of Westminster are about to run into a potentially deal-breaking problem: they won’t be allowed to drink.

A parliamentary committee searching for a new home for the Commons has identified Richmond House, home to the Department of Health, as its favoured option.

However, the Whitehall building was quietly transferred to finance an Islamic bond scheme two years ago — and a condition of its lease is that it cannot be used for purposes not sanctioned by sharia.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4677375.ece
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Mortimer said:

The world's first deep-level underground station (and first accessed by lifts), 1886
    to
    The oldest extant mainline terminus station in the world, 1836.
  • Options

MPs planning to move into temporary accommodation during the refurbishment of the Palace of Westminster are about to run into a potentially deal-breaking problem: they won’t be allowed to drink.

A parliamentary committee searching for a new home for the Commons has identified Richmond House, home to the Department of Health, as its favoured option.

However, the Whitehall building was quietly transferred to finance an Islamic bond scheme two years ago — and a condition of its lease is that it cannot be used for purposes not sanctioned by sharia.

It's a workplace and there are plenty of bars nearby no doubt.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022
    I see sense has prevailed regarding the Rhodes statue, although not before some people lost their jobs due to the sheer incompetence of the way the college handled this. A simple no would have sufficed, rather than pandering to those students for so long.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022
    edited January 2016

LOL. That's all I have to say.

Edit : Although I should ask if the building can be used to legislate on things not sanctioned by sharia.
  • Options
    RobD said:

LOL. That's all I have to say.

Edit : Although I should ask if the building can be used to legislate on things not sanctioned by sharia.
    I reckon PB is banned in that building
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    Seems like Rowlings latest misadventure on Twitter is backfiring and Euan McColm is getting exposed as the vile troll and bully "Brian Spanner".
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Mortimer said:

The world's first deep-level underground station (and first accessed by lifts), 1886
    to
    Will next visit Liverpool via Chester to Lime Street via Birkenhead
  • Options

Mortimer said:

January:

April:
    Nuneaton to Leicester

May:
    Tamworth to Derby

June:
    Worcester to Ashchurch

July:
    Worcester to Oxford
    Oakham to Kettering

August:
    Hitchin Flyover
    Grantham to Nottingham
    Nottingham to Long Eaton
    Ashford to Dover

September:
    Stoke-on-Trent to Derby
    Shrewsbury to Crewe
    Shrewsbury to Hereford

October:
    Newbury to Westbury
    Westbury to Frome
    Westbury to Bath Spa
    Crewe to Chester
    Colchester to Norwich

November:

December:
    Colchester to Clacton
    January 2016:
    Overton to Salisbury
    Each to their own, Cap'n Doc. At least you didn't get out at Hastings

Sussex is unusual as a county in that it has two candidate arseholes - Crawley and Hastings. Into which one God would really thrust the enema tube has never been satisfactorily decided.
    Avast, Mr Llama! I still need to do Crowhurst to St Leonard's! I reached Crowhurst as long ago as 2011, by virtue of it being 50 miles or so from central London.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Mortimer said:

to
    Oh forgot to mention - Much of the route between London Bridge and Deptford also dates from 1836.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I had a ride on the new Wolverhampton to Birmingham tram system today. The carriages reminded me a bit of the Docklands Light Railway. Same circular buttons to open and close the doors.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I had a ride on the new Wolverhampton to Birmingham tram system today. The carriages reminded me a bit of the Docklands Light Railway. Same circular buttons to open and close the doors.

Actually it's the trams which are new - the bulk of the route dates from 1999. Only the Snow Hill to Bull Street section opened recently, in December. Hopefully by the summer, the route will be extended to New Street.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Mortimer said:

to
    Will next visit Liverpool via Chester to Lime Street via Birkenhead
    Hamilton Square (Birkenhead) is the twin to James Street, "over the water" and thus also the world's first deep-level underground station, bored and blasted out of solid rock.
    The railway tunnel under the Mersey was then the world's longest underwater tunnel, and the first under a tidal estuary. The system was also the first in the world to convert from steam to electric, in 1903.
This discussion has been closed.