Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : January 14th 2016

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited January 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : January 14th 2016

Launceston Central (Ind defence, elected as Lib Dem) on Cornwall
Result of council at last election (2013): Independent 37, Liberal Democrats 36, Conservatives 31, Labour 6, United Kingdom Independence Party 6, Mebynon Kernow 4, Green Party 1 (No Overall Control, Independents short by 25)
Result of ward at last election (2013):

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972
    edited January 2016
    The most vital and pivotal election in the realm, tonight. :D

As always, thanks for preparing this!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Second!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    Newish computer which I am switching from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 tonight. Please assure me my life is going to get better.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Newish computer which I am switching from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 tonight. Please assure me my life is going to get better.

It could hardly get worse.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637
    Cornwall gets to have devolved powers without the imposition of an elected mayor. No such option for anywhere in the north of England.
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    DavidL said:

made the switch last week. hardly any difference
  • Options

Cornwall gets to have devolved powers without the imposition of an elected mayor. No such option for anywhere in the north of England.

Can't afford one, what with their 123-member council!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Windows 10 is much much better. 8.1 was dire.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

Second!

Well done on the win last night, there's a good chance Leicester will be three points clear come Sunday night. I see you can still get 12-1 on Leicester for the title - that seems a bit long to me.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637
    RobD said:

123? That’s nothing. We've got 126 in Durham!
  • Options

RobD said:

Durham has almost twice the population as Cornwall, it should be a 246-member council ;)
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Second!

Well done on the win last night, there's a good chance Leicester will be three points clear come Sunday night. I see you can still get 12-1 on Leicester for the title - that seems a bit long to me.
    I am off to the Villa game. I don't often get the chance as often various other business on a Saturday (including working!). I shall enjoy it, it is likely to be a long time before we play David Cameron's Villa again, unless we get them in a cup.

I think the title race is a bit too open (though I put a quid each way on at 3000/1 in August!). I think a top 4 place is pretty nailed on though, it is a big gap to 5th place. Availible at just under evens now.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    FPT

The success of Natcen's BSA research in identifying political affiliation is partly the purity of the sample, partly the persistence of the people pursuing the sampled voters and partly their success in building a relationship with who they interview which encourages honesty.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

tlg86 said:

Second!

I am off to the Villa game. I don't often get the chance as often various other business on a Saturday (including working!). I shall enjoy it, it is likely to be a long time before we play David Cameron's Villa again, unless we get them in a cup.

I think the title race is a bit too open (though I put a quid each way on at 3000/1 in August!). I think a top 4 place is pretty nailed on though, it is a big gap to 5th place. Availible at just under evens now.
    If you get through the next five League games still in touching distance of the top you genuinely have a chance to win it. You probably need to beat Villa and Stoke, but draws at Man City and Arsenal would leave you in a very good position.
  • Options

it is likely to be a long time before we play David Cameron's Villa again, unless we get them in a cup.

You'll get David Cameron's West Ham in 3 months though.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

DavidL said:

Thank you. I prefer your answer to the others. Bit like finding a doctor that tells you what you want to hear (woops).

To be honest I am not entirely sure if it has worked or not.
  • Options

it is likely to be a long time before we play David Cameron's Villa again, unless we get them in a cup.

You'll get David Cameron's West Ham in 3 months though.
    Great views of Aston Villa's new stadium from the Olympic Park :lol:
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Second!

If you get through the next five League games still in touching distance of the top you genuinely have a chance to win it. You probably need to beat Villa and Stoke, but draws at Man City and Arsenal would leave you in a very good position.
    I was pretty happy with our reserves performance against Spurs in the Cup. There is some reasonable back up there (apart from Dyer - who was dire!).

The defence is pretty solid with 3 clean sheets in a row in the league. Vardy seemed a little slow last night, but is only a week post op and seemed comfortable. Mahrez has always slowed down a little in the winter. I think he feels the cold and damp a bit. There are no real injuries in the squad and morale is sky high.

I have noticed that our defence concede a lot of corners (which are well defended). It is worth betting on lots of these IMO. Not only does this allow the defence to get organised, it sucks the oponents defenders up the pitch and exposes them to the break. I have seen a fair number of goals that we have scored within a minute of an opposition corner.

• Options

DavidL said:

I've binned Windows entirely now. I use a Samsung Chromebook, tablet and smartphone. Everything syncronises across all my devices, from my kindle app to my spotify. It is so much quicker and easier than when I had a steam powered Windows laptop, Sony phone and no tablet. Only downside is that Google knows everything. When I fart, Google probably knows from gas analysis what I had for tea!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    I am a huge fan of Cornwall Council - look at that diversity of seats. Labour are up from at one point having a single, lonely member on there. I know there are some councils with no labour or no tories, but few close to this large.
  • Options

DavidL said:

I've binned Windows entirely now. I use a Samsung Chromebook, tablet and smartphone. Everything syncronises across all my devices, from my kindle app to my spotify. It is so much quicker and easier than when I had a steam powered Windows laptop, Sony phone and no tablet. Only downside is that Google knows everything. When I fart, Google probably knows from gas analysis what I had for tea!
    And probably determined whether your gas is ecologically damaging or not depending on methane content. No doubt you get a score.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    A truly shocking figure:
    Though Jews make up less than 1 percent of the population, French officials say more than 50 percent of all reported racist attacks in 2014 were directed against them.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3399791/Immigration-Israel-western-European-Jews-hits-time-high-following-rise-anti-Semitic-attacks.html
  • Options
    IIRC, the number of seats is going to be cut in Cornwall, as part of devolution discussions, and as a cost saving measure?
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

A truly shocking figure:

Though Jews make up less than 1 percent of the population, French officials say more than 50 percent of all reported racist attacks in 2014 were directed against them.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3399791/Immigration-Israel-western-European-Jews-hits-time-high-following-rise-anti-Semitic-attacks.html

It's amazing all those wishing to make racist attacks are even able to find a jewish person to attack given those numbers. They can be a dedicated bunch, racist idiots.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

RobD said:

And 127 of them are Labour. (well not quite, but you get the idea). In fact Durham Unitary Council was created so Labour could get control of the West of the County.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Interview with the world's worst Bond villain coming up on Newsnight.
  • Options

DavidL said:

made the switch last week. hardly any difference
    Once the system is up and running - I recommend calling: scf /scannow from the command prompt (admin) available by right-clicking the .

It checks the files haven't been corrupted.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    kle4 said:

MP_SE said:

A truly shocking figure:

It's amazing all those wishing to make racist attacks are even able to find a jewish person to attack given those numbers. They can be a dedicated bunch, racist idiots.

France has the third largest Jewish population in the world apparantly. Most are (like French Muslims) of Maghrebi descent.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

RobD said:

And 127 of them are Labour. (well not quite, but you get the idea). In fact Durham Unitary Council was created so Labour could get control of the West of the County.
    Jesus, 94 out of 126 are Labour. 19 Independents, which probably contains a few Lab in all but name. Has to be the most for a single party in any council, even if it is not the highest proportion (there being a few 100% for one or the other - I wonder if Eastleigh Borough is still 40 out of 44 LD)
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

A truly shocking figure:

It would be interesting to know the demographic of the attackers.

Though I think we can all make a guess.

On a related note Merkel's madness has perhaps increased the number of Jew haters in Germany to its highest since the 1940s.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    kle4 said:

weejonnie said:

RobD said:

Jesus, 94 out of 126 are Labour. 19 Independents, which probably contains a few Lab in all but name. Has to be the most for a single party in any council, even if it is not the highest proportion (there being a few 100% for one or the other - I wonder if Eastleigh Borough is still 40 out of 44 LD)
    I think Manchester is (or was) a 100% Labour council

ETA: Yes, all 96 Manchester councillors are Labour.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @davieclegg: BREAKING: #sp16 poll
    Holyrood Constituency:
    SNP: 52%
    LAB: 21%
    CON: 16%
    LD: 7%
    Other: 4%
    https://t.co/6N9qW15AFH

Holyrood List Vote
    SNP: 42%
    LAB: 20%
    LD: 8%
    Green: 9%
    UKIP: 5%
    Other: <1%
  • Options
    Seats predicted by Weber Shandwick’s Scotland Votes tool.
    SNP 70
    LAB 26
    CON 18
    GREEN 8
    LD 7
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

weejonnie said:

RobD said:

If it is able to be well run despite that paucity of official opposition, I salute them.
  • Options
    FPT Danny:

" The two Wirral seats are the best examples of the Tories' Northern problem. Nice houses (some VERY nice) everywhere, no universities anywhere or especially high numbers of trendy 20-somethings, barely a non-white face to be seen.

Both Labour in 2015. "

And both on Merseyside.

Merseyside =/= North.

By way of comparison take a look at Ed Balls exMP to see formerly safe Labour areas in the North trending Conservative (or rightwards generally).

Northern England has much the same electoral trends as the rest of the country:

Public sector middle class -> leftwards
    Private sector working class -> rightwards

Cities -> leftwards
    Towns -> rightwards

• Options
    Had a request from Durham Council on whether the North East should accept the devolved powers (and a Mayor) offered to the North East by the Government.

Since the additional powers will be exercised in perpetuity by the raving Corbynistas, I have politely declined the offer.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    edited January 2016
    Scott_P said:

Holyrood Constituency:

Holyrood List Vote
    https://t.co/6N9qW15AFH</p&gt;

On those figures that gives SNP 70 (+1), Labour 26(-11), Tory 18(+3), LD 7%(+2), Green 8(+6)

Should Scotland be independent? No 51% Yes 49%
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/snp-course-increase-holyrood-majority-7182713
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Holyrood Constituency:

Holyrood List Vote

On those figures that gives SNP 70 (+1), Labour 26(-11), Tory 18%(+3%), LD 7%(+2%), Green 8%(+6%)

Should Scotland be independent? No 51% Yes 49%
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/snp-course-increase-holyrood-majority-7182713
    LD Surge!

In all seriousness, does that mean they are polling more in Scotland than nationally? Definitely not sure that can be trusted.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,329
    edited January 2016

kle4 said:

MP_SE said:

A truly shocking figure:

France has the third largest Jewish population in the world apparantly. Most are (like French Muslims) of Maghrebi descent.

Today is the annivesary of the Casablanca Conference in 1943, attended by Churchill, FDR, de Gaulle and Giraud.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casablanca_Conference

During the Conference, Roosevelt spoke with the French resident general at Rabat, Morocco, about postwar independence and Jewish immigrants in North Africa. Roosevelt proposed that:

"[t]he number of Jews engaged in the practice of the professions (law, medicine, etc.) should be definitely limited to the percentage that the Jewish population in North Africa bears to the whole of the North African population.... [T]his plan would further eliminate the specific and understandable complaints which the Germans bore towards the Jews in Germany, namely, that while they represented a small part of the population, over 50 percent of the lawyers, doctors, schoolteachers, college professors, etc., in Germany were Jews."[13][14]

This disposition of the Jewish population harkened back to a mindset communicated in earlier years to Roosevelt by the American ambassador to Germany, William Dodd (1933–37). Dodd had appraised Germany's repression of Jews, and writing to Roosevelt, he said: "The Jews had held a great many more of the key positions in Germany than their number or talents entitled them to."[15]
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

weejonnie said:

RobD said:

If it is able to be well run despite that paucity of official opposition, I salute them.
    I suspect that how well run councils are depends more on their officials than their councillors.

And more than either on luck.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

Had a request from Durham Council on whether the North East should accept the devolved powers (and a Mayor) offered to the North East by the Government.

Since the additional powers will be exercised in perpetuity by the raving Corbynistas, I have politely declined the offer.

Is that being called 'Newcastle City Region' or some such ?

If so I can imagine the reaction in Sunderland.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Ken Livingstone isn't on again!!!!!!!!!!??????????????????????
  • Options

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

weejonnie said:

RobD said:

I suspect that how well run councils are depends more on their officials than their councillors.

Probably, but effectiveness of political leadership in providing direction and scrutiny is a factor, and depending on how the other factors stack up, possible the factor that is easiest to tip the balance and alter.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Sadly not.

I'm sure there's someone in the world with a less aurally-pleasing voice than George Osborne, but I'm yet to discover it.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    NBC/WSJ GOP national

Trump 33%
    Cruz 20%
    Rubio 13%
    Carson 12%
    Bush 5%
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/295502565/NBC-WSJ-January-Poll
  • Options

kle4 said:

MP_SE said:

A truly shocking figure:

Today is the annivesary of the Casablanca Conference in 1943, attended by Churchill, FDR, de Gaulle and Giraud.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casablanca_Conference

During the Conference, Roosevelt spoke with the French resident general at Rabat, Morocco, about postwar independence and Jewish immigrants in North Africa. Roosevelt proposed that:

"[t]he number of Jews engaged in the practice of the professions (law, medicine, etc.) should be definitely limited to the percentage that the Jewish population in North Africa bears to the whole of the North African population.... [T]his plan would further eliminate the specific and understandable complaints which the Germans bore towards the Jews in Germany, namely, that while they represented a small part of the population, over 50 percent of the lawyers, doctors, schoolteachers, college professors, etc., in Germany were Jews."[13][14]

This disposition of the Jewish population harkened back to a mindset communicated in earlier years to Roosevelt by the American ambassador to Germany, William Dodd (1933–37). Dodd had appraised Germany's repression of Jews, and writing to Roosevelt, he said: "The Jews had held a great many more of the key positions in Germany than their number or talents entitled them to."[15]

Dear me.

I wonder how many Jewish Democrat voters knew about that.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Sadly not.

I'm sure there's someone in the world with a less aurally-pleasing voice than George Osborne, but I'm yet to discover it.
    Gilbert Gottfried?
  • Options
    Osborne very vague about the EC in the gentle Evan Newsnight interview. Many signs that he/they have not thought it all through. Weak in answers - maybe due to him spreading himself too thin across too many responsibilities?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Sadly not.

Gilbert Gottfried?
    Diane 'whispering death' Abbott
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    Interesting that Osborne was repeating a lot of the disingenuous stuff we have been reading on here from certain posters in recent weeks though.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited January 2016
    runnymede said:

Interesting that Osborne was repeating a lot of the disingenuous stuff we have been reading on here from certain posters in recent weeks though.

Bugger,

#rumbled.
  • Options
    runnymede said:

You wouldn't be referring to the 'undecided' people would you ?
  • Options
    BBCQT seems to be upsetting all of the right people tonight
  • Options

Osborne very vague about the EC in the gentle Evan Newsnight interview. Many signs that he/they have not thought it all through. Weak in answers - maybe due to him spreading himself too thin across too many responsibilities?

Or maybe due to not wanting to come out completely one way or another for multiple sensible reasons until the negotiations are over.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Thank you. I prefer your answer to the others. Bit like finding a doctor that tells you what you want to hear (woops).

To be honest I am not entirely sure if it has worked or not.
    Windows 10 is much better than windows 8, though essentially very similar. You essentially have two operating systems running together, the traditional windows desktop and the modern apps. In windows 8, it was like a clunky gear change moving between traditional programs and apps, as your full screen would be taken over by an app as you get thrown out of the safety blanket of a desktop. The interactive experience was very different. While not intrinsically bad, it meant that windows 8 as a whole was a dogs dinner, despite some massive improvements in how windows worked.

Roll on windows 10, they bring back the start menu, but inexplicably make it virtually useless. Not sure how they managed it. It is years behind even the windows XP start menu, never mind the more sophisticated windows vista and 7.

The good thing about windows 10 though, is now as a user there is no real difference between a modern 'app' and a desktop programme. You interact with them in the same way, making the user experience much better.

The only real thing you need to do to turn windows 10 into a much more functional machine is install classic shell from classicshell dot net and after installing click on the flag in bottom left hand corner and choose the style of start menu you want. After than Windows 10 becomes pretty much a better version of 7.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

weejonnie said:

RobD said:

Probably, but effectiveness of political leadership in providing direction and scrutiny is a factor, and depending on how the other factors stack up, possible the factor that is easiest to tip the balance and alter.
    I think feedback loops might play a part here.

Once leadership becomes rotten its very difficult to reform.

• Options

FPT Danny:

" The two Wirral seats are the best examples of the Tories' Northern problem. Nice houses (some VERY nice) everywhere, no universities anywhere or especially high numbers of trendy 20-somethings, barely a non-white face to be seen.

Both Labour in 2015. "

And both on Merseyside.

Merseyside =/= North.

By way of comparison take a look at Ed Balls exMP to see formerly safe Labour areas in the North trending Conservative (or rightwards generally).

Northern England has much the same electoral trends as the rest of the country:

Public sector middle class -> leftwards
    Private sector working class -> rightwards

Cities -> leftwards
    Towns -> rightwards

Country as a whole:

Public sector -> Private sector.

Good news for the Tories as well as the economy.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Newsnight report on the polling disaster with Matt Singh.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Seems that the only people in QT who are not junior doctors are the panel....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    Cruz is flying out the door. Bad poll out for him ?
  • Options
    Tom Baldwin blaming the polls for losing the election.

AWESOME!
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Scott_P said:

AWESOME!

According to him, if the polls had shown the Tories close to winning a majority, more people would have decided not to vote Tory to stop them winning a majority. Sounds like a circular argument if ever there was one, requiring incredible mental contortions.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:

AWESOME!

According to him, if the polls had shown the Tories close to winning a majority, more people would have decided not to vote Tory to stop them winning a majority. Sounds like a circular argument if ever there was one, requiring incredible mental contortions.
    Ties in well with the occasionally offered 'people didn't realise what they were voting for' by voting in the Tories (and ignoring that Labour told everyone what voting Tory would mean), which Corbyn has stated at least once, by suggesting people really didn't realise voting Tory would lead to Tory government, as polls assured them they could risk it and still be rewarded with an SNP-Lab pact.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,161
    edited January 2016
    Scott_P said:

Holyrood Constituency:

Holyrood List Vote

BREAKING

Wee SCon hearts.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:

AWESOME!

Ties in well with the occasionally offered 'people didn't realise what they were voting for' by voting in the Tories (and ignoring that Labour told everyone what voting Tory would mean), which Corbyn has stated at least once, by suggesting people really didn't realise voting Tory would lead to Tory government, as polls assured them they could risk it and still be rewarded with an SNP-Lab pact.
    While others would have voted Conservative only because they thought it was the only way to stop a Lab-SNP pact.

If the Lab-SNP pact had been thought much more unlikely then you would have had fewer 'fear factor' Conservative votes and a few more Labour, LibDem and UKIP MPs and a minority Conservative government.

• Options

Scott_P said:

Holyrood Constituency:

Holyrood List Vote

BREAKING

Wee SCon hearts.
    Can't the SNP loan them 4-5% They'll still be in control, or close enough, and the SLAB panic would be something to see.
  • Options
    The bloody 'peace' argument about the EU. It's so broken.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    runnymede said:

Osborne will make soft eurosceptic noises in an attempt to make his decision to back the remain campaign look like it was a difficult one.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    Shrieking Cat Smith, clueless Metropolitan elite.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

She is horrible, if this is all Labour have to offer they are in more trouble than we thought.

• Options
    edited January 2016

watford30 said:

She is horrible, if this is all Labour have to offer they are in more trouble than we thought.

A teenager trapped in the body of a gurning Corbynista. Very good at pulling faces, huffing and rolling her eyes - is she a friend of Abbott?
  • Options
    watford30 said:

watford30 said:

Gurning Corbynista. Very good at pulling faces, huffing and rolling her eyes - is she a friend of Abbott?
    Like watching a sixth form debate, pathetic. Getting owned by Kelvin Mckenzie is a real low.
  • Options
    Tell MikeK the good news dow up 200+. Should cheer him up!
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    watford30 said:

Born in Barrow, degree from Lancaster, MP for Lancaster.

In what sense is she "Metropolitan elite"?

While the ex-public schoolboy, City trader turned professional politician Nigel Farage is the authentic view of the Northern working class? Colour me a little unconvinced...
  • Options

watford30 said:

watford30 said:

Gurning Corbynista. Very good at pulling faces, huffing and rolling her eyes - is she a friend of Abbott?
    Like watching a sixth form debate, pathetic. Getting owned by Kelvin Mckenzie is a real low.
    I would've thought Kippers loved Kelvin :p
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Holyrood Constituency:

Holyrood List Vote

BREAKING

Wee SCon hearts.
    :'(
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

watford30 said:

watford30 said:

I would've thought Kippers loved Kelvin :p
    Not keen though he does talk common sense at times, never forgive him for Hillsborough though.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Only 1 in four of the plods who apply to join the armed teams in the Met are deemed suitable. These are the ones capable of filling in the forms, so perish the thought of giving them all guns.

Many of those already 'tooled up' have terrible weapons handling skills, fingers on triggers, barrels pointing here there and everywhere, as they pootle about in public spaces.
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    edited January 2016

watford30 said:

While the ex-public schoolboy, City trader turned professional politician Nigel Farage is the authentic view of the Northern working class? Colour me a little unconvinced...
    Metropolitan in terms of her student politics, bleeding heart idiot.

Much as I disagree with Farage and they way he performed in the debates, Ukip are much more relevant to the Northern working class than Labour ever will be again.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @watford30

'Shrieking Cat Smith, clueless Metropolitan elite.'

Student union rent-a-gob.

Guess there are very few Labour MP's that want to go on TV and be associated with Corbyn therefore you have to scrape the barrel & end up with Smith.
  • Options

watford30 said:

Much as I disagree with Farage and they way he performed in the debates, Ukip are much more relevant to the Northern working class than Labour and will ever be again.
    I wondered that myself, but Oldham (And the GE) seemed to put paid to that idea..
  • Options

watford30 said:

I assume the point was that she holds the same opinions as the "Metropolitan elite".
  • Options

watford30 said:

Much as I disagree with Farage and they way he performed in the debates, Ukip are much more relevant to the Northern working class than Labour and will ever be again.
    So some sort of philosophical "Metropolitan Elite" that comes from a modest background in an obscure part of Northern England, but fits your stereotype?

Would she be more authentically Northern if she brought her whippet and snap-box of black pudding to QT?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I assume the point was that she holds the same opinions as the "Metropolitan elite".

She's a paid up Corbynista.

That means she represents the views of all parts of Islington.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

watford30 said:

I wondered that myself, but Oldham (And the GE) seemed to put paid to that idea..
    By the time Oldham came round Ukip were on the slide, they took tens of thousands of votes from the WWC at the GE though.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

AndyJS said:

And Oldham...
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Scott_P said:

AndyJS said:

Interesting fact is that UKIP managed to beat the Greens in Islington South & Finsbury, even if it was by only 4 votes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/constituencies/E14000764
  • Options

watford30 said:

So some sort of philosophical "Metropolitan Elite" that comes from a modest background in an obscure part of Northern England, but fits your stereotype?

Would she be more authentically Northern if she brought her whippet and snap-box of black pudding to QT?
    No, she would be more representative of the working class she keeps banging on about if she didn't support policies that constantly undermine them.

Reference Bob Crow.
  • Options

watford30 said:

No, she would be more representative of the working class she keeps banging on about if she didn't support policies that constantly undermine them.

Reference Bob Crow.
    Because no proper working class person cares about anything other than bloody immigrants?
  • Options
    Portillo says he thinks that if the result of the referendum is a Leave win, we won't actually leave the EU. Nice to know he rates democracy so highly.
  • Options
    Oh good, Jess Phillips and her Brummie accent on This Week.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:

AndyJS said:

Interesting fact is that UKIP managed to beat the Greens in Islington South & Finsbury, even if it was by only 4 votes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/constituencies/E14000764
    If only UKIP had put up isam...
  • Options

Scott_P said:

AndyJS said:

And Oldham...
    What are her views on women's rights and homophobia?
  • Options

watford30 said:

Reference Bob Crow.
    Because no proper working class person cares about anything other than bloody immigrants?
    They care about their job prospects, their wages that are suppressed, social housing, schools for their kids etc. Are they wrong?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

AndyJS said:

And Oldham...
    I suspect that she is in favour of the first and against the second.

I suspect that she is not "socially conservative" enough to be against the first and in favour of the second.

After all there are no working class women or gays!

• Options

watford30 said:

It's not a where you come from, it's where you are now. applies to both sides.

Good night.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

AndyJS said:

And Oldham...

I suspect that she is not "socially conservative" enough to be against the first and in favour of the second.

Why doesn't she campaign for them then, or is she worried it would cost Labout votes in places like Oldham?
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    kle4 said:

watford30 said:

It's not a where you come from, it's where you are now. applies to both sides.

Good night.
    So all MPs are defined as "Metropolitan Elite" because they all work in London? Its a rather circular definition surely?

And of course by the same token Farage is part of the "Brussels Elite"...
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Launceston is Lib Dem hold

LD 515 Con 226 Green 65 CPA 12
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Scott_P said:

AndyJS said:

And Oldham...

Why doesn't she campaign for them then, or is she worried it would cost Labout votes in places like Oldham?
    I think she does! And it seems so do they, after all they did vote her in just a few months ago.

Meanwhile UKIP elected one semi-detached MP.
This discussion has been closed.