Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : January 14th 2016

2»

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,118

kle4 said:

watford30 said:

Shrieking Cat Smith, clueless Metropolitan elite.

Born in Barrow, degree from Lancaster, MP for Lancaster.

In what sense is she "Metropolitan elite"?

While the ex-public schoolboy, City trader turned professional politician Nigel Farage is the authentic view of the Northern working class? Colour me a little unconvinced...
    Metropolitan in terms of her student politics, bleeding heart idiot.

Much as I disagree with Farage and they way he performed in the debates, Ukip are much more relevant to the Northern working class than Labour and will ever be again.
    So some sort of philosophical "Metropolitan Elite" that comes from a modest background in an obscure part of Northern England, but fits your stereotype?

Would she be more authentically Northern if she brought her whippet and snap-box of black pudding to QT?
    It's not a where you come from, it's where you are now. applies to both sides.

Good night.
    So all MPs are defined as "Metropolitan Elite" because they all work in London? Its a rather circular definition surely?
    I didn't mean in a physical sense. Someone might come from humble roots but not in any way have any insight or particular desire to speak for those roots, and someone might be from as posh a background as possible but manage to understand, speak for and assist those from very humble roots.

In other words, someone might have the backstory of a working class northerner but act like a metropolitan elitist, or vice versa. Where they are actually from doesn't really matter about the intent in such terms, which denotes opinions that are held more than a biography.

I have no idea where cat smith would fall place in this debate though.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

watford30 said:

Shrieking Cat Smith, clueless Metropolitan elite.

Born in Barrow, degree from Lancaster, MP for Lancaster.

In what sense is she "Metropolitan elite"?

While the ex-public schoolboy, City trader turned professional politician Nigel Farage is the authentic view of the Northern working class? Colour me a little unconvinced...
    Metropolitan in terms of her student politics, bleeding heart idiot.

Much as I disagree with Farage and they way he performed in the debates, Ukip are much more relevant to the Northern working class than Labour and will ever be again.
    So some sort of philosophical "Metropolitan Elite" that comes from a modest background in an obscure part of Northern England, but fits your stereotype?

Would she be more authentically Northern if she brought her whippet and snap-box of black pudding to QT?
    It's not a where you come from, it's where you are now. applies to both sides.

Good night.
    So all MPs are defined as "Metropolitan Elite" because they all work in London? Its a rather circular definition surely?
    I didn't mean in a physical sense. Someone might come from humble roots but not in any way have any insight or particular desire to speak for those roots, and someone might be from as posh a background as possible but manage to understand, speak for and assist those from very humble roots.

In other words, someone might have the backstory of a working class northerner but act like a metropolitan elitist, or vice versa. Where they are actually from doesn't really matter about the intent in such terms, which denotes opinions that are held more than a biography.

I have no idea where cat smith would fall place in this debate though.
    As a Lancastrian by birth myself (Leicester by adoption) she does seem pretty convincingly a Northern woman.
  • Options

Launceston is Lib Dem hold

LD 515 Con 226 Green 65 CPA 12

Excellent news!
  • Options

Scott_P said:

AndyJS said:

I assume the point was that she holds the same opinions as the "Metropolitan elite".

She's a paid up Corbynista.

That means she represents the views of all parts of Islington.
    And Oldham...
    What are her views on women's rights and homophobia?
    I suspect that she is in favour of the first and against the second.

I suspect that she is not "socially conservative" enough to be against the first and in favour of the second.

After all there are no working class women or gays!

Why doesn't she campaign for them then, or is she worried it would cost Labout votes in places like Oldham?
    I think she does! And it seems so do they, after all they did vote her in just a few months ago.

Meanwhile UKIP elected one semi-detached MP.
    Oh please, do you really think if she had come out strongly against FGM, women's rights and homophobia she would have been popular with a large section of the local electorates?

As for Ukip I don't know what your problem is, I've given up with Farage but O'Flynn spoke perfect sense on QT.

I forgot that you are the one who said on here you will vote Remain because it will make your life easier at work (?) and you fancy retiring abroad. So future generations have to put up with the EU because people like you are more concerned with a perceived easier life rather than consider the long term prospects
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    edited January 2016
    If Cat Smith is the future of Labour MPs and PPCs, they have a whole lot further to slide yet...
  • Options

Scott_P said:

AndyJS said:

I assume the point was that she holds the same opinions as the "Metropolitan elite".

And Oldham...

I suspect that she is not "socially conservative" enough to be against the first and in favour of the second.

Why doesn't she campaign for them then, or is she worried it would cost Labout votes in places like Oldham?
    I think she does! And it seems so do they, after all they did vote her in just a few months ago.

Oh please, do you really think if she had come out strongly against FGM, women's rights and homophobia she would have been popular with a large section of the local electorates?

As for Ukip I don't know what your problem is, I've given up with Farage but O'Flynn spoke perfect sense on QT.

I forgot that you are the one who said on here you will vote Remain because it will make your life easier at work (?) and you fancy retiring abroad. So future generations have to put up with the EU because people like you are more concerned with a perceived easier life rather than consider the long term prospects
    I have many reasons to vote Remain, including Britain's long term interests.

Cat Smith has campaigned on quite a variety of issues, many very local to Lancashire, interesting to see she actively supports CAMRAs campaign against pub closures.

http://www.catsmith.co.uk/

:

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,036

Scott_P said:

AndyJS said:

And Oldham...

Cat Smith has campaigned on quite a variety of issues, many very local to Lancashire, interesting to see she actively supports CAMRAs campaign against pub closures.

:

www.catsmith.co.uk has been blocked by Sky Broadband Shield, which lets you choose the websites that can be seen in your home.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    O/T:

"A taskforce set up by the German government to determine the ownership history of more than 1,500 artworks discovered in 2012 has found that only five were wrongfully taken from Jews, drawing criticism from Jewish groups."

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/14/jewish-groups-criticise-german-task-force-ruling-on-looted-nazi-art-hoard
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

Scott_P said:

AndyJS said:

And Oldham...

A campaign against pub closures -

I find it hard to get my head round this one. I was born in Lancashire (near Blackpool) so read her website with interest.

If a pub makes money, it stays open. If it loses money, it closes.

It's not a difficult concept.

If you want to keep money-losing pubs open, then you have to take money from pubs that make money, which merely puts up their costs for food and drink. That just gouges the wallets of other people to support a pub that the locale doesn't support.

15 years ago I lived in a village near Harrogate which had 3 pubs. They were all good but one had fewer food options and more expensive drinks. Surprise, it eventually closed and we were a 2 pub village. That's the way it should be. If the local folks will not support a pub it should close, unless they put new people in to run it and turn it around.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    Tim_B said:

Scott_P said:

AndyJS said:

And Oldham...

A campaign against pub closures -

I find it hard to get my head round this one. I was born in Lancashire (near Blackpool) so read her website with interest.

If a pub makes money, it stays open. If it loses money, it closes.

It's not a difficult concept.

If you want to keep money-losing pubs open, then you have to take money from pubs that make money, which merely puts up their costs for food and drink. That just gouges the wallets of other people to support a pub that the locale doesn't support.

15 years ago I lived in a village near Harrogate which had 3 pubs. They were all good but one had fewer food options and more expensive drinks. Surprise, it eventually closed and we were a 2 pub village. That's the way it should be. If the local folks will not support a pub it should close, unless they put new people in to run it and turn it around.
    Quite.

But then Corbynistas don't really like silly things like market economics do they.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Just thought of an interesting philosophical question: if one white person uses the N word against another white person, is it an example of racism simply for using the word as an insult?
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Most amusing thing to happen in my area of the world for some time, involved Cat Smith.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-32333596
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    AndyJS said:

Just thought of an interesting philosophical question: if one white person uses the N word against another white person, is it an example of racism simply for using the word as an insult?

I think the former since your are using it in a bad way. Unless you say "my beautiful N*******" perhaps? :p
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Philosophical implies that there is some sort of logic or rationale involved.

We are at the point that if you are tarred as anti-muslim you are denounced as racist. Muslim is not a race - merely a set of ideas.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I'm surprised this isn't being reported more widely in the British media:

"Martin Schulz, German President of the European Parliament has admitted that the threat of terrorism and the ongoing refugee crisis is testing the resilience of the EU to its limits and the stability of Europe will continue to be challenged throughout 2016.

The somber warning has been revealed by newspaper Die Welt, which obtained a document called "Europe is reaching its limits" following discussions held in Brussels between German Chancellor Angela Merkel, Britain's Chancellor George Osborne and several other European Union commissioners."

http://sputniknews.com/europe/20160114/1033132642/martin-schulz-warns-europe-reaching-limits.html
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I'm surprised this isn't being reported more widely in the British media:

"Martin Schulz, German President of the European Parliament has admitted that the threat of terrorism and the ongoing refugee crisis is testing the resilience of the EU to its limits and the stability of Europe will continue to be challenged throughout 2016.

The somber warning has been revealed by newspaper Die Welt, which obtained a document called "Europe is reaching its limits" following discussions held in Brussels between German Chancellor Angela Merkel, Britain's Chancellor George Osborne and several other European Union commissioners."

http://sputniknews.com/europe/20160114/1033132642/martin-schulz-warns-europe-reaching-limits.html

Why would it be?

Which part of it isn't stating the bleedingly obvious and since when does the media care what Schulz has to say?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,257
    Watch this and tell me Trump will not be the next POTUS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPRfP_TEQ-g
  • Options

Tell MikeK the good news dow up 200+. Should cheer him up!

Nah: MikeK thrives on bad news
  • Options
    GOP debate about to start - singing national anthem
  • Options
    GaiusGaius Posts: 227
    Tim_B said:

The singers not any good, is she.

• Options
    Gaius said:

Tim_B said:

The singers not any good, is she.

au contraire, she didn't murder it like most do - just a straight rendition with no coloratura
  • Options
    Introductions and we're off. Enjoy everyone.

The happy hour debate was terrific - hope this lives up to it.
  • Options
    Cruz mentioned "next commander in chief is standing on this stage" and pointed to Trump

Freudian slip or what!!
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Gaius said:

Cruz mentioned "next commander in chief is standing on this stage" and pointed to Trump

Freudian slip or what!!

Didn't someone say after the first debate that Cruz seemed to be running for Trump's VP pick?
  • Options

Gaius said:

Freudian slip or what!!

Didn't someone say after the first debate that Cruz seemed to be running for Trump's VP pick?
    It would be an interesting combination: Cruz shores up Trump's weakness with evangelicals. But - and it's a big but - the evangelicals have no one else to vote for. And Texas will be Trump's under any realistic scenario. So, what does Cruz bring to the table, except perhaps some embarassingly links with Goldman Sachs.*

* Disclaimer: I used to work for Goldman Sachs.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    rcs1000 said:

Trump will not be the next POTUS.
  • Options
    JohnLoony said:

rcs1000 said:

You clearly didn't watch the video.
  • Options
    JohnLoony said:

rcs1000 said:

Rubio attacked Christie and Christie answered the question and destroyed Rubio.

The crowd booed Trump and he turned it round to get them laughing and didn't answer the question.

Trump is the next president.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

Gaius said:

Freudian slip or what!!

It would be an interesting combination: Cruz shores up Trump's weakness with evangelicals. But - and it's a big but - the evangelicals have no one else to vote for. And Texas will be Trump's under any realistic scenario. So, what does Cruz bring to the table, except perhaps some embarassingly links with Goldman Sachs.*

* Disclaimer: I used to work for Goldman Sachs.
    Are you embarrassed?

• Options
    Rubio is much better when hes not reading from a script.
  • Options
    Gaius said:

Rubio is much better when hes not reading from a script.

Rubio hardly ever reads from a script.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Doctor Sunil...sir

Perhaps you can help here? It's bugging me

Travelling on the underground yesterday circle line I noticed that all stations had the underground logo ie the circle with the name of station in the middle as they always have......... Except one?

Moorgate Has a diamond shape on some of its signs.......why is that?
This discussion has been closed.