Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump now the clear favourite on Betfair to win the Republi

Comments

• Options
    LondonBobLondonBob Posts: 467
    MikeK said:

I've got some chores to do, but before I go, Trump agrees with me about Obama being another Carter.
    http://www.politico.com/story/2016/01/donald-trump-jimmy-carter-barack-obama-iran-217746

Obama is the US version of Diane Abbott, just with a bigger chip on his shoulder.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,018

FFS

BREAK MPs in the House of Commons to hold three hour debate about banning US President hopeful Donald Trump from the UK on Monday next week

Who oh earth tabled this silly nonsense?
    Isn't it the result of the petition?
    That surely doesn't automatically generate a three-hour debate though? IIRC, a petition reaching the threshold simply means it has to be considered for debate.

The decision is daft diplomatically and indulgent domestically.
    I entirely agree.
    Re: your earlier comment - The petition to ban Trump from the UK only needed 10,000 signatures before parliament was compelled to respond. - If 100,000 signatories added their names, the anti-Trump petition would be considered for debate in the Commons.

It should have been ‘considered’ and rejected forthwith, but a three hour debate is ridiculous.
    Will be interesting to see how many MPs are prepared to stand foursquare in favour of freedom of speech.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    MaxPB said:

philiph said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

TGOHF said:

Merde

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-01-14/renault-shares-drop-on-report-of-fraud-probe-into-emission-tests

"Renault SA shares plunged as much as 20 percent after a union said French fraud investigators seized computers from the automaker as part of an apparent probe into emissions testing.

Agents from the Economy Ministry’s fraud office visited some Renault sites that have to do with standards testing and engine certification, said Florent Grimaldi, an official with the CGT union at the company’s operations in Lardy, France, by telephone Thursday, confirming a report earlier by Agence France-Presse. That left the impression that the probe is related to emissions standards in the wake of the Volkswagen AG scandal, he said."

That can't be a massive surprise. The chance that it was only VW involved in dodgy looking emissions testing is negligible. Engines have always been built to meet detailed requirements, one of which was passing the emissions test through whatever means. That VW in the USA got caught engaging in gamesmanship is clearly the tip of the iceberg in an era of computer-controlled cars.
    There are a number of other diesel cars from other manufacturers which have been mysteriously out of stock for the last few months, which gives credence to your view.
    German?

If Renault are caught will that be Nissan too? Do they share engines / electronics?
    Nissan only have the Qashqai available with Diesel engines, everything else is petrol or electric. Japanese companies as a whole have been investing heavily in electric, hybrid and battery technology. European car companies went very heavy on turbo diesels. It looks like a bad bet. BMW seem to be furthest ahead with the i3 and i8, but those are still pretty niche. Toyota and Honda all have a bunch of hybrids and Nissan has the Leaf.
    I have been skimming through the available hybrid vehicles recently. I looked at a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV (Plug in Hybrid Electric Vehicle) a couple of days ago. It would be a shame not to take advantage of the Government 5k contribution while it is available until 29th Feb.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

FFS

BREAK MPs in the House of Commons to hold three hour debate about banning US President hopeful Donald Trump from the UK on Monday next week

That surely doesn't automatically generate a three-hour debate though? IIRC, a petition reaching the threshold simply means it has to be considered for debate.

There's a lot of misunderstanding about petitions and debates. The all-party Backbench Business Committee has a certain amount of time to allocate, which is much in demand. They consider how many MPs are interested in attending and speaking (very important - it'd be embarrassing to allocate time and then find not enough turn up), how topical it is, and whether a lot of the public are interested. The 100,000"threshold" does not so far as I know have any formal standing - the BBC will consider any proposal, and 100K signatures has been considered as a sign of significant popular interest, but if 100K people demand a debate on Manchester United or the Jedi it will still go straight in the bin.

The alternative route is via the Speaker. If lots of MPs ask him for an adjournment debate, he may well agree, though the process is deliberately obscure to prevent manipulation. If this is that kind of debate - and for a 3-hour debate I think it probably is - it must mean that loads of MPs (20+) have asked for it. The origin is of course Trump's statement that Muslims would be kept out of the USA, so it's presumably a sort of protest, though I'm sure Trump will just see it as more fodder for his populism - "Vote Trump, banned by British bureaucrats!"
    I think there should be a Jedi debate. Aren't there tens of thousands of Jedis in UK according to Census?
    They could schedule it for May the Fourth.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,018

LondonBob said:

Scott_P said:

@politicshome: NEW: Ken Livingstone sparks furious Labour backlash over Trident comments - https://t.co/r8qihQFaSd https://t.co/QPy8rpyrbm

Corbyn was right about Iraq, he was right about Syria, he was right about Libya and he is right about Trident.

The 'moderate' Blairites sure know to pick their battles, presumably Mandelson is urging iron discipline and loyalty to the Dear Leader as he did back in the New Labour heyday?

An activist foreign policy is a sure vote winner.
    What is an "activist foreign policy"?
    What Blair and Dubya had.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

Scott_P said:

@PolhomeEditor: John Woodcock, chair of the PLP's defence committee, has written to Emily Thornberry to ask if she agrees with this https://t.co/5qVHvXAEa3

Woodcock is worth keeping an eye on as one who might provoke a by-election in opposition to his party's policy, or resign the whip, or defect - or some combination of the above.
    Who would he defect to? Emotionally, even right wing Labourites seem opposed to joining the hated Tories and I would have therefore thought the Lib Dems would be the obvious beneficiaries but again there seems to be no Labour appetite for an SDP Mark II.

• Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    New stats out today: Overall number of college students in Scotland has fallen from 379,233 in 2007-08 to 226,919 in 2014-15.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

philiph said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

TGOHF said:

Merde

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-01-14/renault-shares-drop-on-report-of-fraud-probe-into-emission-tests

"Renault SA shares plunged as much as 20 percent after a union said French fraud investigators seized computers from the automaker as part of an apparent probe into emissions testing.

Agents from the Economy Ministry’s fraud office visited some Renault sites that have to do with standards testing and engine certification, said Florent Grimaldi, an official with the CGT union at the company’s operations in Lardy, France, by telephone Thursday, confirming a report earlier by Agence France-Presse. That left the impression that the probe is related to emissions standards in the wake of the Volkswagen AG scandal, he said."

That can't be a massive surprise. The chance that it was only VW involved in dodgy looking emissions testing is negligible. Engines have always been built to meet detailed requirements, one of which was passing the emissions test through whatever means. That VW in the USA got caught engaging in gamesmanship is clearly the tip of the iceberg in an era of computer-controlled cars.
    There are a number of other diesel cars from other manufacturers which have been mysteriously out of stock for the last few months, which gives credence to your view.
    German?

If Renault are caught will that be Nissan too? Do they share engines / electronics?
    Nissan only have the Qashqai available with Diesel engines, everything else is petrol or electric. Japanese companies as a whole have been investing heavily in electric, hybrid and battery technology. European car companies went very heavy on turbo diesels. It looks like a bad bet. BMW seem to be furthest ahead with the i3 and i8, but those are still pretty niche. Toyota and Honda all have a bunch of hybrids and Nissan has the Leaf.
    Err the Xtrail 4x4 has a diesel engine.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,799

FFS

There's a lot of misunderstanding about petitions and debates. The all-party Backbench Business Committee has a certain amount of time to allocate, which is much in demand. They consider how many MPs are interested in attending and speaking (very important - it'd be embarrassing to allocate time and then find not enough turn up), how topical it is, and whether a lot of the public are interested. The 100,000"threshold" does not so far as I know have any formal standing - the BBC will consider any proposal, and 100K signatures has been considered as a sign of significant popular interest, but if 100K people demand a debate on Manchester United or the Jedi it will still go straight in the bin.

The alternative route is via the Speaker. If lots of MPs ask him for an adjournment debate, he may well agree, though the process is deliberately obscure to prevent manipulation. If this is that kind of debate - and for a 3-hour debate I think it probably is - it must mean that loads of MPs (20+) have asked for it. The origin is of course Trump's statement that Muslims would be kept out of the USA, so it's presumably a sort of protest, though I'm sure Trump will just see it as more fodder for his populism - "Vote Trump, banned by British bureaucrats!"
    The problem is not how Trump sees it, it is how every other American politician and, indeed, citizen will see it.
    With a bit of luck the HoC will point out the folly of banning people whose beliefs we disagree with.... a much more effective message to the cousins......
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,469
    JonathanD said:

Scott_P said:

@PolhomeEditor: John Woodcock, chair of the PLP's defence committee, has written to Emily Thornberry to ask if she agrees with this https://t.co/5qVHvXAEa3

Woodcock is worth keeping an eye on as one who might provoke a by-election in opposition to his party's policy, or resign the whip, or defect - or some combination of the above.
    Who would he defect to? Emotionally, even right wing Labourites seem opposed to joining the hated Tories and I would have therefore thought the Lib Dems would be the obvious beneficiaries but again there seems to be no Labour appetite for an SDP Mark II.

Independent Labour
  • Options
    Labour List
    Liveblog: Yet more appointments in the reshuffle. And they raise some questions... https://t.co/Z3e0ofWpI5 https://t.co/Tm3Fqxty9W
  • Options

New stats out today: Overall number of college students in Scotland has fallen from 379,233 in 2007-08 to 226,919 in 2014-15.

Its a Victory for Eck Nicola!
  • Options
    Harry Cole
    Wait..So @CatSmithMP claims to be "Shadow Minister for Women and Equalities" As does @KateGreenSU. Now Corbyn has just appointed @KateOsamor
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,134

Oh btw I see Grayling has broken cover and called membership of the EU disastrous. I'm curious to see if this is the start of a concerted campaign from Tory rebels or if he turns out to be the sacrificial lamb.

I haven't read or heard Grayling's words directly, but the summary of his views on R5L seemed utterly reasonable. But I would say that, as they appeared to match my views rather well.

I cannot see the EU moving away from further EZ integration, or treating the non-EZ countries significantly differently from the EZ countries (two-speed Europe). This means that eventually we would have to join the Euro. And that's somewhere I don't want to go.
    I'm sorry but what on earth are you talking about? There is no way we can leave the EU and join the Euro

I suggest you re-read what I wrote.
  • Options
    This is going to bugger up a few transfers this summer

Atlético & Real Madrid have been banned from signing players in the 2016 summer and 2017 winter transfer windows.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,971
    philiph said:

MaxPB said:

philiph said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

TGOHF said:

Merde

German?

I have been skimming through the available hybrid vehicles recently. I looked at a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV (Plug in Hybrid Electric Vehicle) a couple of days ago. It would be a shame not to take advantage of the Government 5k contribution while it is available until 29th Feb.
    Best Hybrid ever is the Porsche 918 Spyder. It does 200mpg and is exempt from the Congestion Charge in London.

Its combined 887bhp also means it does 0-60 mph in 2.2 seconds, 0-100 in 4.9 seconds, has a top speed of 217mph and is the fastest road car ever around the Nurburgring in 6'57".

Shame it costs a million dollars.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_918_Spyder
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079

felix said:

Boris still trying to have it both ways in The Waugh Zone today:

"Boris’s intentions remain the real threat to Osborne. Referring to claims that he’d said before Christmas that ‘I’m not an Outer’, allies of Bojo told me yesterday to treat them with ‘scepticism’ (which is kinda apt). “Instinctively he wants to stay in a reformed EU, but if we can’t get what we want, as he’s said, he can see a great future outside,” one said. I understand Boris does not want to ‘lead’ the Brexit campaign purely because he believes business leaders will make the best case."

Does Boris actually believe in anything at all?

Lol - the irony of NPXMP making that criticism of.. anyone.
    Hey, I try to live up to the pbTory depictions - I'm apparently both a crypto-communist and have no views at all, and I'm simultaneously retired from the Commons and a careerist seeking advancement. (I do wonder why they care.)

Speaking of other people with evolving views, I don't think SeanT has left us, Cyclefree - he does have other preoccupations but he's never given up on us yet, just takes a break from time to time.
    It makes perfect sense - like how for a time Ed M was both nothing but a laughingstock but also a malevolent, dangerous figure of frightening but evil competence.
    Scott_P said:

@politicshome: NEW: Ken Livingstone sparks furious Labour backlash over Trident comments - https://t.co/r8qihQFaSd https://t.co/QPy8rpyrbm

Terrifying for Corbyn, that bunch backlash over everything.
  • Options
    Labour now have THREE people claiming to do the same job. #TheReshuffle https://t.co/9B1uXuOUvS
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

JonathanD said:

Scott_P said:

Independent Labour
    Woodcock is certainly feisty and he couldn't be more committed to Trident. If Labour goes full anti-Trident then I don't think he would be content merely with rebelling on the vote. He would want to *do* something to indicate his displeasure and continued support for his constituents' jobs. The question is what? Does a by-election achieve anything except the possible loss of his seat? Does defecting to independent achieve anything but the loss of his seat in 2020?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,634

MaxPB said:

philiph said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

TGOHF said:

Merde

German?

Err the Xtrail 4x4 has a diesel engine.
    Apologies, so it does. So that's the Qashqai and X-trail. 19 out of 34 available models in the former and 24 out of 31 in the latter.

If ever there was a time for the Nissan side of the alliance to pull out (especially after the French government tried to nationalise Renault) this would be it.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,971
    There goes Amla too! SA 127/3
  • Options
    Fucking hell.

Alan Rickman has died.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

Scott_P said:

Quite so. There are people around in the Commons who remember what happened with Mark I, they'll rein in anyone silly enough to think of it, and as you say the anger at Corbyn is most focused on it is letting the hated Tories getting away with things, not any hint they are finding the Tories more attractive in light of Corbynite Labour tendencies.
  • Options

Fucking hell.

Alan Rickman has died.

Terrible news.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    TGOHF said:

Merde

I wonder if the CGT union pension fund shorted Renault shares?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,604
    Wanderer said:

FFS

Is this a real debate? I thought they were going to debate it but not in the Commons chamber?

If is a full-on debate with a division then it's an embarrassment.
    It's a farce. I think we're doing it to help the US establishment try to make a pariah out of Trump. Not only will it not work (they may succeed, but not because of our paltry brickbats, which will have the opposite effect), it insults someone who has invested £350 million in our country. Where is the realpolitik in that?
  • Options
    Time to watch Galaxy Quest again.

Fucking hell.

Alan Rickman has died.

Terrible news.
  • Options

Fucking hell.

Alan Rickman has died.

Bloody hell. The Grim Reaper has started the New Year with a spring in his step.

RIP.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010
    :(
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

By Grabthar's hammer......RIP
  • Options
    And Die Hard too. Marvellous comic baddie
    taffys said:

• Options
    edited January 2016

Fucking hell.

Alan Rickman has died.

Terrible news.
    Time to watch Die Hard again. One of the all-time best screen baddies.

EDIT Plus he was an excellent Sheriff of Nottingham. You really were torn between him and Robin Hood...
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

JonathanD said:

Scott_P said:

Independent Labour
    Woodcock is certainly feisty and he couldn't be more committed to Trident. If Labour goes full anti-Trident then I don't think he would be content merely with rebelling on the vote. He would want to *do* something to indicate his displeasure and continued support for his constituents' jobs. The question is what? Does a by-election achieve anything except the possible loss of his seat? Does defecting to independent achieve anything but the loss of his seat in 2020?
    I can't see how a pro-Trident indie Lab candidate would lose to 'the official Lab' candidate in Barrow.

However, all this is hot air IMHO. The unions will not allow Labour to go 'no' to Trident renewal. So there will be some almighty fudge at some point this year or they will block the change of policy.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

Its a Victory for Eck Nicola!
    The SNP have been good for the Scottish middle class but not so good for the poor and working class.

• Options

Fucking hell.

Alan Rickman has died.

Bloody hell. The Grim Reaper has started the New Year with a spring in his step.

RIP.
    The Sheriff of Nottingham, the greatest villain in Die Hard, Professor Snape, Love Actually, Galaxy Quest and Ronald Reagan.

We might never see his like ever again
  • Options
    And Die Hard too. Marvelous comic baddie

Blasts Costner off the screen in Robin Hood.
  • Options

John Sessions does a wonderful Rickman impression....
  • Options

Fucking hell.

Alan Rickman has died.

RIP.
    The Sheriff of Nottingham, the greatest villain in Die Hard, Professor Snape, Love Actually, Galaxy Quest and Ronald Reagan.

He utterly steals the show in all the harry potter series as such a 'presence' when on screen..
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005

Fucking hell.

Alan Rickman has died.

RIP.

The true hero of the Harry Potter series.
  • Options

Fucking hell.

Alan Rickman has died.

Terrible news.

EDIT Plus he was an excellent Sheriff of Nottingham. You really were torn between him and Robin Hood...
    I used one of Alan Rickman's lines from that film as a chat up line.
  • Options

Fucking hell.

Alan Rickman has died.

RIP.

He utterly steals the show in all the harry potter series as such a 'presence' when on screen..
    Sean_F said:

Fucking hell.

Alan Rickman has died.

RIP.

The true hero of the Harry Potter series.
    He does and yes he is.
  • Options
    Julia Hartley-Brewer ‏@JuliaHB1 6m6 minutes ago
    Sad news about Alan Rickman's death. While at the Evening Standard, we used to call him just to hear how cool he sounded on his answerphone.
  • Options
    It's also heartening to see JLR go into Formula E so they can begin to develop their EV skills and push those developments into the consumer cars.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,636
    edited January 2016
    taffys said:

John Sessions does a wonderful Rickman impression....

My favourite John Sessions moment. Great impression of Sir John Gielguld

NSFW

http://youtu.be/H6HRQVki-HM
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,130
    Goodness. So sad about Alan Rickman. A great actor. And not even old.
  • Options

Fucking hell.

Alan Rickman has died.

Terrible news.

Was it "You. My room. 10:30 tonight."?

Or

"You. 10:45... And bring a friend."??
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Fucking hell.

Alan Rickman has died.

RIP.

I'll second that - Very sad news indeed he was superb actor. RIP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDJsCE01LYI
  • Options

Fucking hell.

Alan Rickman has died.

Terrible news.

Or

You know me so well. I used both.

But I used 10.30 and 11.15. I'm not a one minute wonder.
  • Options

Fucking hell.

Alan Rickman has died.

Terrible news.

Or

Arf.

Do we know what he died of? And does Bruce Willis have an alibi?
  • Options
    Shit. Really sad about Alan Rickman. One of the very best actors never to have got an Oscar in spite of deserving one on numerous occasions.

RIP sir and thanks for all the brilliant characters.
  • Options

Fucking hell.

Alan Rickman has died.

Terrible news.

Or

Arf.

Cancer.
  • Options
    ''My favourite John Sessions moment. Great impression of Sir John Gielguld''

Sessions is so prodigiously talented, its only a wonder he hasn't had a more illustrious career.
  • Options

Fucking hell.

Alan Rickman has died.

69.....Cancer......

His recent directorial (and starring too) outing in 'A Little Chaos' is fun too.....
  • Options
    Hans, bubbie, I'm ya white knight.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,604

Fucking hell.

Alan Rickman has died.

Terrible news.

I'm going to cut your heart out with a spoon?

Very sad. RIP.
  • Options

Fucking hell.

Alan Rickman has died.

Terrible news.

Or

Arf.

Cancer.
    Bugger. We keep being told we are making great strides to fight it, but then we lose Lemmy, Bowie and Rickman to it in barely a fortnight.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,189
    RIP Alan Rickman a master at playing villains
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    I think the death of Alan Rickman is such a shocker as he just didn't age. He was not exactly young in Die Hard and that was 30 years ago. When the news mentioned he was 69 I was genuinely surprised but really shouldn't have been.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

taffys said:

Your heart should be cut out with a spoon for not mentioning his Sheriff of Nottingham.

Edit:damn, beaten to it.
  • Options
    Dair said:

I think the death of Alan Rickman is such a shocker as he just didn't age. He was not exactly young in Die Hard and that was 30 years ago. When the news mentioned he was 69 I was genuinely surprised but really shouldn't have been.

He still had a good 20 years left tbh (See Christopher Lee's career).

We've been robbed.
  • Options
    I see apparently the marvellously named Thangam Deobbonaire has been appointed to JC's shadow cabinet. I'd heard she had health troubles, so presumably she is doing better I hope.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Someone is very keen to back Biden4Potus over on betfair @ 129/1 (£750)

Oddly, they're not prepared to take the ~£800 available @ 119/1 - which leads me to assume they're probably not betting on inside info.

Anyway, I've taken the opportunity to trade out of my Biden position (I'd staked £70 at average odds of ~600/1 - and banked a decent ~£250 overall profit.

Good luck to whoever is on the other side of that bet. A Biden/Trump contest would be really entertaining!

Interesting. I'm on for a few quid at a stonking 800/1, but having thought about it, I don't think that the current 130.0 is a lay. If anything, I'd still be a backer at that price; the probability of Hillary withdrawing must be a few percent given the 'known unknowns', and Biden would surely be a shoo-in in such a scenario. I think I'd still be a backer down to 70/1 or so.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005

Fucking hell.

Alan Rickman has died.

69.....Cancer......

His recent directorial (and starring too) outing in 'A Little Chaos' is fun too.....
    I liked that too. His Louis XIV was not an overt tyrant, but definitely not someone you'd want to get on the wrong side of.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    Pulpstar said:

Dair said:

He still had a good 20 years left tbh (See Christopher Lee's career).

We've been robbed.
    Indeed, no Symphonic Metal career for Mr Rickman.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Yes, perhaps his finest role was to keep playing middle aged to within a month of hitting 70. He just didn't age.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/fl/florida_trump_vs_clinton-5635.html

Trump leads Clinton in Florida. Cubans aren't that significant a voting block anyway (dwarfed by whites, that is even if we aren't considering ethnically Spanish Cubans as whites), Cubans couldn't care less about illegal Mexican immigrants and I expect Cruz to be Trump's VP pick anyway.

Clinton leads Trump in Ohio and Virginia and often in Florida too
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I see apparently the marvellously named Thangam Deobbonaire has been appointed to JC's shadow cabinet. I'd heard she had health troubles, so presumably she is doing better I hope.

You're right - I'd never have the balls to call a fictional character Thangam Debbonaire!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

taffys said:

Your heart should be cut out with a spoon for not mentioning his Sheriff of Nottingham.

Edit:damn, beaten to it.
    and the voice of Marvin the paranoid android in the film version of Hitchhikers.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492

Wanderer said:

FFS

Is this a real debate? I thought they were going to debate it but not in the Commons chamber?

If is a full-on debate with a division then it's an embarrassment.
    Is being held in Westminster Hall I think which means no formal division/vote
    Well let's hope the idiots who waste time attending this debate are named.
  • Options
    CromwellCromwell Posts: 236
    Any one who bets on Trump winning the nomination has a crude and simplistic grasp of American politics ; furthermore , they deserve to lose their money

Trump is a ''reality TV star '' who has descended into malignant narcissism and megalomania ..he's Dr Strangelove or a cartoonish James bond villain ; he's not a demagogue , but a comedic parody of a demagogue ...TRUMPOLINI I presume ?

There are simply not that many gormless voters in the GOP ; Trump is polling lower than Bernie Sanders but only looks like a winner because the opposition have not unified ...he probably will win New Hampshire but his victories can only last until the establishment unifies

Trump is a venal opportunist who loves running for president but would be horrified if the presidency were actually forced upon him

Trump's supporters are gormless beyond belief ; if he chewed the head off a puppy on live TV they would applaud him for making the world more safer for cats !
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,694
    edited January 2016

Fucking hell.

Alan Rickman has died.

Terrible news.

Or

Arf.

Cancer.
    Bugger. We keep being told we are making great strides to fight it, but then we lose Lemmy, Bowie and Rickman to it in barely a fortnight.
    I lost my brother-in-law to a particularly rare form of cancer last July. My sister is still devastated. He was only 53 and my nephew lost his father at the age of 13.

It's a truly terrible disease and a cure can't come soon enough.
  • Options

Oh btw I see Grayling has broken cover and called membership of the EU disastrous. I'm curious to see if this is the start of a concerted campaign from Tory rebels or if he turns out to be the sacrificial lamb.

I haven't read or heard Grayling's words directly, but the summary of his views on R5L seemed utterly reasonable. But I would say that, as they appeared to match my views rather well.

I cannot see the EU moving away from further EZ integration, or treating the non-EZ countries significantly differently from the EZ countries (two-speed Europe). This means that eventually we would have to join the Euro. And that's somewhere I don't want to go.
    I'm sorry but what on earth are you talking about? There is no way we can leave the EU and join the Euro

I'm glad you replied because it appears I misunderstood what you wrote, my bad.

The response to Grayling's announcement has been muted on here, the wagons are circling.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Lol

Peter Mannion MP
    My favourite Chris Grayling bar chart (ConHome poll of Conservative supporters, 2015). #euref #Brexit #justsaying https://t.co/m9A8N4XDzZ
  • Options
    Hillary is a weak , weak candidate ...the E mail /Benghazi scandal will haunt her right to the very end ; even if she isn't forced to drop out , it will have so eroded her credibility that someone like Rubio will crush her ....the recent release of the movie Thirteen Hours only contributes to her mounting problems
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

The response to Grayling's announcement has been muted on here, the wagons are circling.
    Grayling supporting anything is usually a coup for the other side.
  • Options
    anyone betting on Hillary would be well advised to read Charles Lipson's column @ Real Clear Politics....Joe Biden may well have to jump back into the race ....she is in trouble
  • Options
    Re Trump I'm beginning to hope he becomes President, I have very little knowledge of or interest in US politics but the outrage that will ensue will be hilarious.
  • Options
    @Cromwell Lol.
  • Options
    Cromwell said:

Hillary is a weak , weak candidate ...the E mail /Benghazi scandal will haunt her right to the very end ; even if she isn't forced to drop out , it will have so eroded her credibility that someone like Rubio will crush her ....the recent release of the movie Thirteen Hours only contributes to her mounting problems

She only has to beat Trump,
  • Options

Re Trump I'm beginning to hope he becomes President, I have very little knowledge of or interest in US politics but the outrage that will ensue will be hilarious.

Indeed. I'd hope the nation is robust enough to withstand a disaster, if he is one as predicted.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,908
    I see the death rate per 100,000 people admitted to hospital is 12.3 on weekdays and 11.4 on weekends. Not quite what the Government claims is it?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,130
    Cromwell said:

anyone betting on Hillary would be well advised to read Charles Lipson's column @ Real Clear Politics....Joe Biden may well have to jump back into the race ....she is in trouble

Great article. It's here: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2016/01/13/hillary_clintons_coming_legal_crisis_129293.html
  • Options
    Cromwell said:

Any one who bets on Trump winning the nomination has a crude and simplistic grasp of American politics ; furthermore , they deserve to lose their money

Trump is a ''reality TV star '' who has descended into malignant narcissism and megalomania ..he's Dr Strangelove or a cartoonish James bond villain ; he's not a demagogue , but a comedic parody of a demagogue ...TRUMPOLINI I presume ?

There are simply not that many gormless voters in the GOP ; Trump is polling lower than Bernie Sanders but only looks like a winner because the opposition have not unified ...he probably will win New Hampshire but his victories can only last until the establishment unifies

Trump is a venal opportunist who loves running for president but would be horrified if the presidency were actually forced upon him

Trump's supporters are gormless beyond belief ; if he chewed the head off a puppy on live TV they would applaud him for making the world more safer for cats !

Rubio is the Burnham of the GOP race, Trump the Corbyn, GOP voters in a yougov poll yesterday most typically described Rubio as 'an establishment candidate and typical politician', Trump as 'a strong candidate who will make America great again'. Trump is trouncing him in Iowa and NH
  • Options

Lol

Peter Mannion MP
    My favourite Chris Grayling bar chart (ConHome poll of Conservative supporters, 2015). #euref #Brexit #justsaying https://t.co/m9A8N4XDzZ

Aww. Well, that should improve now he's currently the only one with his head above the parapet.
  • Options
    Cromwell said:

Regardless, either would beat Trump
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,694

I'm afraid I have to agree with you.

Leave needs moderates and not just the usual suspects.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    I was in a major LA Agents office when Robin Hood was premiered and the crits came out..The Agent took one quick scan and then yelled at the top of her voice.."Get me Rickman..NOW",,,about fifty secretaries in the outer office grabbed their phones...
  • Options
    @MichaelLCrick: So many Cons gay MPs now, that Tories used to idea "coming out" means declaring gay. For Labour, "coming out" means leaving Shadow Cabinet
  • Options
    Anyone who is/was backing Rubio at 7-4 or shorter needs their brain checking.
  • Options

Indeed. The man is a walking disaster area. It's quite lamentable that he is the first "big beast" to declare for leave.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,134

T;is okay. I could have made it clearer.

The interesting thing is that Grayling's been allowed to say it, and that Downing Street are apparently 'relaxed' about it. I'm wondering what the government's game plan is for the referendum: they'll have one; it's just a question of what its aims are, and how good it is. ;)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Cromwell said:

Rubio is the Burnham of the GOP race, Trump the Corbyn, GOP voters in a yougov poll yesterday most typically described Rubio as 'an establishment candidate and typical politician', Trump as 'a strong candidate who will make America great again'. Trump is trouncing him in Iowa and NH
    That's a typical myopic Little Englander view of American politics gained from watching TV ...Trump is not Corbyn , the GOP are certainly not the Labour party and the USA is not the UK

but go ahead ; if you want to view things that way ...a fool and his money are easily parted

• Options

I'm afraid I have to agree with you.

Leave needs moderates and not just the usual suspects.
    He's ex SDP. He can play the moderate card.
  • Options
    Cromwell said:

HYUFD said:

Cromwell said:

That's a typical myopic Little Englander view of American politics gained from watching TV ...Trump is not Corbyn , the GOP are certainly not the Labour party and the USA is not the UK

but go ahead ; if you want to view things that way ...a fool and his money are easily parted

I am afraid he is, your blind support for Rubio is preventing you looking at the facts, the GOP base see Rubio as an establishment stooge, he is getting trounced both nationally and in the early state polls, Trump is almost certain to be the GOP nominee, his only competitor Cruz. You are behaving exactly like a diehard Burnham or Cooper fan in the Labour race when all the evidence showed Corbyn was storming to victory. Both Trump and Corbyn, Sanders and UKIP represent a populist trend sweeping across much of western politics whether you like it or not
  • Options
    Now, don't diss Chris Grayling. He gave us one of the best-ever political gaffes:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2009/oct/07/richard-dannatt-conservative-conference-military
  • Options
    Cromwell said:

HYUFD said:

Cromwell said:

What's your pounds and pence (Or betting units) position on all the runners ? I'm intrigued.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Anyone who is/was backing Rubio at 7-4 or shorter needs their brain checking.

I backed him at 6/1 - do I need anything medical checking?
  • Options

New Thread New Thread

• Options

I see the death rate per 100,000 people admitted to hospital is 12.3 on weekdays and 11.4 on weekends. Not quite what the Government claims is it?

Not according to Fullfact

https://fullfact.org/health/hospital_deaths_weekend_seven_day_nhs-45095

Of course these figures are from 2009/10 and it is possible that the NHS has improved dramatically now that Labour are no longer in charge.

Care to reflect on that?
  • Options

T;is okay. I could have made it clearer.

The interesting thing is that Grayling's been allowed to say it, and that Downing Street are apparently 'relaxed' about it. I'm wondering what the government's game plan is for the referendum: they'll have one; it's just a question of what its aims are, and how good it is. ;)
    Whatever their plan is, they don't need to worry about Grayling.
This discussion has been closed.