Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    edited January 2016
    Regarding Spain, people also talk of Spanish culture becoming introverted and suspicious of any external influence even if it was Catholic. In this view the "open Spain" of ~1500 became the "closed Spain" of ~1650.

It's also poignant that the greatest glories of Habsburg Spanish culture, Cervantes and Velazquez, date from the period of its decline, not its zenith, and are shot through with fatalism and a sense of transience.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,008
    geoffw said:

viewcode said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit/Gravitation - Thank you to you two too

The PB quiet evening Google-fu speed test challenge! Well done to tonight's winner @JosiasJessop :)
    I cheated. ;)

As it's a quiet evening, a question arising from a conversation I had in a toddler group (*) that showed up my dire lack of knowledge of Spanish history: how did Spain get from being fantastically rich in the 15/1600s to being overrun by Napoleon, whilst England headed in the other direction ?

Does anyone have a quick explanation or a good English-language website where you do not need too much background knowledge? Wiki didn't really help ...

(*) With a mum, not a toddler. Obviously ...
    One word. Capitalism.

The British and Spanish Empires were organised slightly differently. Both had their share of stupid noblemen heading private armies to futz around, but the Brits eventually bent their will to money-making activities (planting tea, planting tobacco, selling opium, coughcoughslaverycoughcough, etc) and prioritised things like trade. The Spanish bent their will to conquest for its own sake, religious-conversion-or-else, and their colonies (although huge) were neither prosperous nor well-run. The Brits generated wealth, the Spanish destroyed it, with the obvious result

Additionally (and famously), the Spanish confused "money" and "wealth". When they discovered stacks of gold they thought it made them rich, so they bought it back and invented inflation.
    Niall Ferguson's "Civilisation" has a fascinating comparison of Spanish colonial South America and English colonial North America along those lines.
    Thank you.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,075
    Thanks for all the great answers re. Spain. It seems much more complex than I thought, which might be why Wiki didn't seem to provide an answer.

I guess I''d better start by reading up on the War of the Spanish Succession then. A problem is, never having been to Spain and knowing little about it, all the places and people will be rather confusing at first. Especially when the biscuits and whiskey get involved. ;)

geoffw: I saw that short series was on, but didn't record it (my PVR is almost full atm).
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Charles said:

Sandpit said:

The PB quiet evening Google-fu speed test challenge! Well done to tonight's winner @JosiasJessop :)
    I cheated. ;)

As it's a quiet evening, a question arising from a conversation I had in a toddler group (*) that showed up my dire lack of knowledge of Spanish history: how did Spain get from being fantastically rich in the 15/1600s to being overrun by Napoleon, whilst England headed in the other direction ?

Does anyone have a quick explanation or a good English-language website where you do not need too much background knowledge? Wiki didn't really help ...

Short version, the War of the Spanish Succession took its toll on Spain and the Spanish people, and they decided to spend the next few decades arguing among themselves rather than uniting and being a world/colonial power.
    I thought the War of the Spanish Succession was mainly fought in Belgium and Germany, between the English and the French?

More importantly, in my view, is the impact of the gold trade: large conveys of bullion arriving at random intervals resulted in exogenous inflationary shocks on a repeated basis while encouraging flow of capital away from sustainable development into fortune hunting
    Though ignorant of the history of Spain and the relative size of their gold input, but incurably theoretical, I wonder if their initiative and enterprise might not have suffered from such an extrinsic source of wealth.
  • Options
    30 years ago (when I was an undergraduate) John Elliott's Imperial Spain was a good introduction. It's very well written and readable. I'm not sure how it stands up against modern scholarship though. Also, he makes breezily approving remarks about the conquistadores that you wouldn't find any modern book!
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

Sandpit said:

I cheated. ;)

Spain pissed its South American money away on fighting wars it lost.
    The War of the Spanish Succession was a damaging civil war within Spain.
    The Spanish monarchy / governments were inbred and incompetent.
    The Spanish despised trade and industry.
    Spain expelled many of their useful minorities.
    The malign influence of the Catholic church on education.

For England the opposites happened.

Roughly accurate.

Of course I might add the "dutch disease" from all the gold and silver which decimated Spanish industry and agriculture.
    Also that Spain was so overextended that it fought wars almost continuously from Charles V till the end of the 30 years war in 1648 against everyone and everywhere. The impossibility to defend Spanish possessions is very illustrated by simply looking at the geography of the Spanish Road.
    The final fact was that the spanish conquests in the new world although vast were largely empty, 98% of the locals had died within a generation.

Once the gold dried up the Spanish were still stuck fighting a dozen wars to defend their vast but empty possessions and having to pay for their basic needs by importing them since they no longer produced anything.
    So they went bust.
  • Options
    Hertsmere_PubgoerHertsmere_Pubgoer Posts: 3,476
    edited January 2016

Wanderer said:

One for BigJohn about his favourite MP

Simon Danczuk received £5,000 for newspaper interview

Sun on Sunday paid Labour MP for interview in which he described young women as his ‘achilles heel’

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jan/09/simon-danczuk-5000-sun-on-sunday-interview

I am prepared to describe young women as my achilles heel for £4500, if anyone's interested.
    Redheads are my Achilles' heel
    Best that I don't say anything.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Thanks for all the great answers re. Spain. It seems much more complex than I thought, which might be why Wiki didn't seem to provide an answer.

I guess I''d better start by reading up on the War of the Spanish Succession then. A problem is, never having been to Spain and knowing little about it, all the places and people will be rather confusing at first. Especially when the biscuits and whiskey get involved. ;)

geoffw: I saw that short series was on, but didn't record it (my PVR is almost full atm).

I would actually start earlier with the unification under Ferdinand and Isabella which is when you can date the rise of Spain as an imperial power to. The War of Spanish Succession was the final act in a long long decline.

It's one of the most engrossing subjects in early modern history.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Wanderer said:

felix said:

And simply to say also why would anybody with an ounce of judgement pay £130 for rubber wellies?

Because they want to be comfortable after walking 10 or 12 miles in them? Just because footwear is waterproof why would it be cheap? You wouldn't wear cheap boots (unless you were very poor, of course).
    You can get perfectly comfortable wellies without paying such an absurd price.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,142
    edited January 2016
    Charles said:

Sandpit said:

I cheated. ;)

Short version, the War of the Spanish Succession took its toll on Spain and the Spanish people, and they decided to spend the next few decades arguing among themselves rather than uniting and being a world/colonial power.
    I thought the War of the Spanish Succession was mainly fought in Belgium and Germany, between the English and the French?

More importantly, in my view, is the impact of the gold trade: large conveys of bullion arriving at random intervals resulted in exogenous inflationary shocks on a repeated basis while encouraging flow of capital away from sustainable development into fortune hunting
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_the_Spanish_Succession#Spain_and_Portugal

The Spanish theatre of operations is not well known about in Britain.

That might be because the French won there while Britain won at Blenheim, Ramillies etc

Although Gibraltar being British is a direct consequence of its capture during the War of the Spanish Succession.

• Options
    Toms said:

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

I cheated. ;)

Though ignorant of the history of Spain and the relative size of their gold input, but incurably theoretical, I wonder if their initiative and enterprise might not have suffered from such an extrinsic source of wealth.
    That's one of the arguments that is advanced. Also that Spaniards came to seek careers in the army or church, not commerce.

Of course, there can be an element of special-pleading in these arguments. We know Spain declined. We know what we think makes nations prosperous. Look for evidence that the Spanish didn't do those things.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,983
    Charles said:

Sandpit said:

I cheated. ;)

Spain reached the nadir of its fortunes c.1650, with Barcelona and The Two Sicilies lost to the French. The second half of the 17th century saw some recovery.

The first Bourbon rulers of Spain after 1714 were very effective. The Two Sicilies and Parma were regained in the 1730's and 1740's, and more of South America was conquered. Under Carlos III, (1759-88) the Spanish Empire was the world's largest.

But his two successors, Carlos IV and Ferdinand VII, were appalling, and managed to lose virtually everything.
  • Options

Sandpit said:
    They were inspired by the legendary firm Messrs, Sue, Grabbit and Run?
    Messrs, Sue, Grabbit & Leggit actually.
    They are closely associated with the famous firm of Bleedham, Drigh & Screugham!!
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Regarding Spain, people also talk of Spanish culture becoming introverted and suspicious of any external influence even if it was Catholic. In this view the "open Spain" of ~1500 became the "closed Spain" of ~1650.

It's also poignant that the greatest glories of Habsburg Spanish culture, Cervantes and Velazquez, date from the period of its decline, not its zenith, and are shot through with fatalism and a sense of transience.

Spain was trying to live with fantasies of it's glorious past in a period of general decline, much like Britain today and period TV shows of Victorian and interwar eras.
  • Options
    Did the Spanish have primogeniture? It seems to me, again speaking from ignorance, that that must have been a major spur in Britain as an initiative for the younger scions to get out and do things.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,593

Sandpit said:
    They were inspired by the legendary firm Messrs, Sue, Grabbit and Run?
    Messrs, Sue, Grabbit & Leggit actually.
    They are closely associated with the famous firm of Bleedham, Drigh & Screugham!!
    Best know for their clients Bodgit & Leggit - the builders.
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    felix said:

Wanderer said:

felix said:

And simply to say also why would anybody with an ounce of judgement pay £130 for rubber wellies?

Because they want to be comfortable after walking 10 or 12 miles in them? Just because footwear is waterproof why would it be cheap? You wouldn't wear cheap boots (unless you were very poor, of course).
    The discussion illustrated the absurd mindset of people complaining about someone paying too much for a pair of wellies and someone not paying enough.
    Can we have a politically acceptable level to pay please.
  • Options

Wanderer said:

One for BigJohn about his favourite MP

Simon Danczuk received £5,000 for newspaper interview

Sun on Sunday paid Labour MP for interview in which he described young women as his ‘achilles heel’

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jan/09/simon-danczuk-5000-sun-on-sunday-interview

I am prepared to describe young women as my achilles heel for £4500, if anyone's interested.
    Redheads are my Achilles' heel
    Best that I don't say anything.
    To be fair, I like any kind of head when it comes to pretty ladies

*Innocent Face*
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Wanderer said:

Spain was trying to live with fantasies of it's glorious past in a period of general decline, much like Britain today and period TV shows of Victorian and interwar eras.
    Don Quixote is more of a satire of the "glorious" past and present.

Not sure what to compare Velazquez to. Some people don't "get" him of course.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I hold the reverse view, of business trying to court the next mayor of London.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

felix said:

Wanderer said:

felix said:

The discussion illustrated the absurd mindset of people complaining about someone paying too much for a pair of wellies and someone not paying enough.
    I paid £180 for mine and consider it some of the best money I've spent.

The best price is obviously the lowest you can get for ones that meet your need.
  • Options
    Has Zac given up canvassing yet?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,054
    Wanderer said:

felix said:

Wanderer said:

felix said:

The best price is obviously the lowest you can get for ones that meet your need.
    I paid a tenner and they're still waterproof a few months later, which is suitable. On the other hand I just paid £50 for a new hat, which given most people don't wear hats, is probably seen as unforgivable extravagance.
  • Options
    Unless his apparent weaknessness I keep hearing about start hitting him hard as we ramp into the actual campaign, he is looking like a sensible candidate to have picked - not driving people away or to another party, and sensible enough not to mess up.
  • Options
    From out here in the provinces it appears that Sadiq is making all the running. Is that how it seems in London? Is Zac actually campaigning hard and we just don't hear about it in the stix?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Wanderer said:

felix said:

Wanderer said:

felix said:

I paid a tenner and they're still waterproof a few months later, which is suitable. On the other hand I just paid £50 for a new hat, which given most people don't wear hats, is probably seen as unforgivable extravagance.
    Right. I mean, I am expecting mine to last a lot of years, and as the ground is pretty boggy round here there is a lot of occasion to wear them.
  • Options
    On a serious note per a comment downthread, if a senior (£900 per hour) Solicitor is really charging 5,500 hours in three years, he should have some pretty good justification to back it up. Leaving aside the huge hourly rate, this equates to more than 36 hours a week (not including any holiday etc.) - Full time, essentially. He should be asked to explain his activities over the three year period and should be made to explain the timings to the Law Society.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    A while back I bought a pair of leather Oxford shoes with a German sounding maker's name. They were handsome & comfortable, but their soles split across after a couple of weeks use. The shop replaced them twice more, after which I gave up wearing them and reverted to trainers. They used to make shoes for walking, but I expect those Oxfords were just meant for getting to the car & back.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I just paid £50 for a new hat, which given most people don't wear hats, is probably seen as unforgivable extravagance.

Not at all :)

One should have nice stuff if one can afford it. And better to have one good hat than five bad ones.

• Options

On a serious note per a comment downthread, if a senior (£900 per hour) Solicitor is really charging 5,500 hours in three years, he should have some pretty good justification to back it up. Leaving aside the huge hourly rate, this equates to more than 36 hours a week (not including any holiday etc.) - Full time, essentially. He should be asked to explain his activities over the three year period and should be made to explain the timings to the Law Society.

Its noticeable how often the PB legal fraternity are able to post comments during work hours.
  • Options
    By 1800, much of Spanish America was as advanced as Western Europe. Which is one reason why it's upper classes broke away from Spain.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,072
    Wanderer said:

I would actually start earlier with the unification under Ferdinand and Isabella which is when you can date the rise of Spain as an imperial power to. The War of Spanish Succession was the final act in a long long decline.

It's one of the most engrossing subjects in early modern history.
    Absolutely; nothing makes sense unless you start- at the latest- with Philip II
  • Options

Its noticeable how often the PB legal fraternity are able to post comments during work hours.
    No doubt, but I would suggest most of the PB legal fraternity are not charging the taxpayer top dollar 36+ hours a week, 50 weeks of the year! If this is true, the Law Society should be very interested indeed.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

By 1800, much of Spanish America was as advanced as Western Europe. Which is one reason why it's upper classes broke away from Spain.

Can you recommend a good introduction to that subject? (South American independence and after I mean.)
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    edited January 2016

No doubt, but I would suggest most of the PB legal fraternity are not charging the taxpayer top dollar 36+ hours a week, 50 weeks of the year! If this is true, the Law Society should be very interested indeed.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/kenya/11171624/British-law-firm-inflated-Mau-Mau-compensation-costs-to-taxpayer.html - the article references both the Mau Mau case and the Trafigura case, where:
    "Mr Day charged £5 million for his services, at a rate of £900 per hour."
    The Court of Appeal knocked more than 40% off the bill in the end.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Sean_F said:

Can you recommend a good introduction to that subject? (South American independence and after I mean.)
    The Birth of the Modern, by Paul Johnson, has some good chapters.
  • Options

I would have hoped that the government and especially this individual:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Buckland

would have been even more interested.

In my experience professional bodies are rarely concerned about their members troughing at the taxpayers expense.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Haiti, a French colony, beat them to it in 1804.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Wanderer said:

kle4 said:

I just paid £50 for a new hat, which given most people don't wear hats, is probably seen as unforgivable extravagance.

One should have nice stuff if one can afford it. And better to have one good hat than five bad ones.

Never skimp on shoes. Expensive ones last longer and more than justify the expense.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Wanderer said:

Sean_F said:

Without being overly-simplistic where did it all go wrong then? Or is it that it didn't go as right as in western Europe instead?

I didn't think South America was ever as developed as France and the UK at least.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited January 2016
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited January 2016

Ah, one of the highlights of Palmer's "It's a shoo in" commentary on his journey to victory in 2015. How we laughed as Anna Soubry increased her majority.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Wanderer said:

kle4 said:

Never skimp on shoes. Expensive ones last longer and more than justify the expense.
    Advice I know I should take, and I've always been taken by the 'Samuel Vimes Boots Theory of Socio-Economic Unfairness' as advanced by Sir Terry Pratchett, but for some reason there are some things I'm happy to spend a lot on, and others I am not. Shoes I have an upper limit on, along with most clothes in general to be honest.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Wanderer said:

kle4 said:

Advice I know I should take, and I've always been taken by the 'Samuel Vimes Boots Theory of Socio-Economic Unfairness' as advanced by Sir Terry Pratchett, but for some reason there are some things I'm happy to spend a lot on, and others I am not. Shoes I have an upper limit on, along with most clothes in general to be honest.
    I never skimp on shoes.

So many people tell me they can tell a lot about a man by his footwear.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/kenya/11171624/British-law-firm-inflated-Mau-Mau-compensation-costs-to-taxpayer.html - the article references both the Mau Mau case and the Trafigura case, where:
    Quite!

The Court of Appeal may have struck some of the fee down, but my basic question remains. Was Mr. Day charging £5M for his OWN services (at £900 per hour) in a three year period? If he was, this is 5,555 hours, which divided by 150 weeks in the three year period is a little over 37 hours per week, with two weeks per annum for holiday, or anything else! Was he really able to bill and to work these hours? Did he do anything else over the period?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Wanderer said:

kle4 said:

Sir Terry truly was a genius.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Wanderer said:

kle4 said:

I never skimp on shoes.

Yep. For instance you can tell that my younger brother, a lawyer, has very big feet.
    I have found that well fitting good quality trainers do the trick: in my case including some tens of thousands of miles running. And lots of walking too.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Toms said:

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

I cheated. ;)

Ultimately the gold was cross-docked onto Dutch ships - it's ironic that the Spaniards were impoverished by their massive external flows of bullion.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Wanderer said:

Sean_F said:

Without being overly-simplistic where did it all go wrong then? Or is it that it didn't go as right as in western Europe instead?

I didn't think South America was ever as developed as France and the UK at least.
    Well, there were parts that were and remained very poor.

But, there are parts of South America that have been wealthier than most of Europe at various points in the past 200 years (eg Venezuela, Argentina, the coast of Peru, the environs of Mexico city, Panama). But, a succession of military coups, dictators, and economically illiterate governments set things back
  • Options

felix said:

Wanderer said:

felix said:

No it didn't - it centred around the inability of some to allow any criticism of Sturgeon because she isn't just any hypocrite she's a Scottish hypocrite!
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Wanderer said:

Sean_F said:

Thanks
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Sandpit said:

Quite!

The Court of Appeal may have struck some of the fee down, but my basic question remains. Was Mr. Day charging £5M for his OWN services (at £900 per hour) in a three year period? If he was, this is 5,555 hours, which divided by 150 weeks in the three year period is a little over 37 hours per week, with two weeks per annum for holiday, or anything else! Was he really able to bill and to work these hours? Did he do anything else over the period?
    I assume that he was doing other chargeable matters as c.1850 hours per year is not very high. Plus BD on top.
  • Options
    Tomorrow's Sun and Mirror both claiming a world exclusive on the same story...somebody is lying or doesn't know the meaning of exclusive ;-)
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

Wanderer said:

felix said:

No it didn't - it centred around the inability of some to allow any criticism of Sturgeon because she isn't just any hypocrite she's a Scottish hypocrite!
    Paging Malcolm G!!! The Turnipfinder General!!
  • Options
    watford30 said:

Ah, one of the highlights of Palmer's "It's a shoo in" commentary on his journey to victory in 2015. How we laughed as Anna Soubry increased her majority.
    Indeed - you'd think he'd have the grace to stay silent on this kind of thing.
  • Options

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Wanderer said:

kle4 said:

I never skimp on shoes.

Some people, such as Boris, have a natural charisma that money cannot buy.

Other more insecure, attention seeking mummy's boy types do immature things like wear outrageous shoes in a sad bid to attract attention.
  • Options
    Somebody has a late night ahead of them....

https://twitter.com/rolandoflondon/status/685925360651866116
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

Wanderer said:

felix said:

I am a deep cover cybernat actually.

Turnip! Sassenach bampot! (Am I doing it right?)
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,142
    edited January 2016
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Wanderer said:

Sean_F said:

Well, there were parts that were and remained very poor.

But, there are parts of South America that have been wealthier than most of Europe at various points in the past 200 years (eg Venezuela, Argentina, the coast of Peru, the environs of Mexico city, Panama). But, a succession of military coups, dictators, and economically illiterate governments set things back
    Latin American wealth was dominated by resource exploitation which led to the wealth being concentrated among the landowners.

In Europe wealth was increasingly generated by trade and industry leading to more widespread wealth distribution and allowing rapid increases in productivity through improved technology.

Peruvian wealth, for example, was based upon the exploitation of seagullshit. When the chemical industry developed better fertilizers the Peruvian economy turned to shit.
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

Wanderer said:

felix said:

It really really didn't. I would welcome something that would genuinely undermine Sturgeon, due to how much I fear her success and its consequence for my country.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Wanderer said:

kle4 said:

I used to be a bit poor (not any more, thankfully). Shit clothes are not a problem, but shit shoes are: you do not want to have cold wet feet in winter. I'm not a shoe whore and I'm not recommending Sarah Jessica Parker shoe stupidity, but buy the longest-lasting shoes you can get. Come to think of it, that's good advice in general...
  • Options

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Wanderer said:

kle4 said:

I never skimp on shoes.

Other more insecure, attention seeking mummy's boy types do immature things like wear outrageous shoes in a sad bid to attract attention.
    There's so much wrong with that.

But I do love the obsession that some Kippers have with me.

Really doesn't reinforce any stereotypes about you lot.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I see the Independent has now joined the ranks of the right-wing media.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    Wanderer said:

From out here in the provinces it appears that Sadiq is making all the running. Is that how it seems in London? Is Zac actually campaigning hard and we just don't hear about it in the stix?

I can't honestly say that either of them are in evidence in my area in terms of actual campaign literature delivered, though I think cyclefree said she was getting quite a lot and she liked Goldsmith's material more. Khan is I think getting more stories into the Standard, which is probably the most important channel for this election (and whose vitriolic campaign against Livingstone has been replaced by apparent neutrality this time). There does seem to be a certain coolness in some Tory sectors about Goldsmith, as we've seen now and then here: he's not seen as quite "one of us" by some.

Really too soon to say, but the polls showing Khan a bit ahead are probably about right.
  • Options
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    felix said:

Scott_P said:
    As plans go, it is a pretty nifty one - deeply undemocratic - but potential effective in seizing control.

It shows the natural instincts of Corbyn coming to the fore. He is not interest in compromise. He is driven by dogma not debate.
  • Options

Wanderer said:

I can't honestly say that either of them are in evidence in my area in terms of actual campaign literature delivered, though I think cyclefree said she was getting quite a lot and she liked Goldsmith's material more. Khan is I think getting more stories into the Standard, which is probably the most important channel for this election (and whose vitriolic campaign against Livingstone has been replaced by apparent neutrality this time). There does seem to be a certain coolness in some Tory sectors about Goldsmith, as we've seen now and then here: he's not seen as quite "one of us" by some.

Really too soon to say, but the polls showing Khan a bit ahead are probably about right.
    Thanks. I'm expecting Khan to win. Wish I was on at 33-1 like seemingly everyone else here :)
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

felix said:

felix said:

Wanderer said:

felix said:

No.
  • Options

Wanderer said:

felix said:

felix said:

Wanderer said:

felix said:

No.
    I haven't been trained :(
  • Options
    Sunday Times reporting that Momentum will be joining the hospital picket lines
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Wanderer said:

Thanks. I'm expecting Khan to win. Wish I was on at 33-1 like seemingly everyone else here :)
    There's another 33/1 tip going up in the morning.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Wanderer said:

felix said:

felix said:

Wanderer said:

felix said:

No.
    Turnip curry!

http://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/turnips-in-coconut-and-mustard-seed-curry
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    It should have the loopy lefties flooding back to labour in Scotland. Not sure about sane voters though.
  • Options

Wanderer said:

Wanderer said:

felix said:

felix said:

Wanderer said:

felix said:

No.
    Turnip curry!

http://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/turnips-in-coconut-and-mustard-seed-curry
    That looks pretty good! I might try it tomorrow.
  • Options
    @TelePolitics: Jeremy Corbyn allies attempt to cut shadow cabinet out of deciding Trident policy https://t.co/cTGgZf33Zz
  • Options
    viewcode said:

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Wanderer said:

kle4 said:

I used to be a bit poor (not any more, thankfully). Shit clothes are not a problem, but shit shoes are: you do not want to have cold wet feet in winter. I'm not a shoe whore and I'm not recommending Sarah Jessica Parker shoe stupidity, but buy the longest-lasting shoes you can get. Come to think of it, that's good advice in general...
    I don't own that many pairs of shoes but those I do have are all good ones. I have a pair of Dr. Marten Chelsea boots for the winter that I paid £100 for six years ago, they look much better than the normal DM boots and are still as good as news, and a pair of Rockports. I have three pairs of shoes for work, including a pair of Charles Church I have had for ten years and Loakes I've had for five years. In the summer i buy a pair of Converse shoes for £30 that last me the summer, plus the usual Sebago or Timberland boat shoes.

Good shoes are essential.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    It should have the loopy lefties flooding back to labour in Scotland. Not sure about sane voters though.
    Why when it is SNP policy already
  • Options
    @JonAshworth: Geek alert for those interested - Labour rulebook clear - 1. policy development done by NPF on rolling programme

@JonAshworth: 2. Proposals only go in final policy programme when endorsed by two thirds of Conference on a card vote

@JonAshworth: 3. Joint Policy Ctte - jointly chaired by Leader & NEC officer overseas work of NPF. Made up of NEC members, shad ministers, NPF members
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Wanderer said:

felix said:

felix said:

Wanderer said:

felix said:

No.
    Sassenach is the give away.

Think German spies parachuted into England in tweed plus fours and speaking pure Bertie Woosterish.
  • Options
    @newsundayherald: SNP manifesto for Holyrood 2016 will not contain commitment to independence referendum
    Full story in tomorrow's paper
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Ok so another country shoots in nukes at us and we being a pseudo nuclear power quickly re- arm to shoot back in the 15 minutes* allowed before the nukes arrive. Yeah I can see how that would work....

* ok perhaps half an hour then?

"One option, that is to be considered, is for Britain to become a “virtual nuclear state” like Japan and Iran – free of nuclear weapons but with the possibility of re-arming in a short period of time"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/trident-jeremy-corbyn-hopes-to-alter-labours-stance-on-nuclear-weapons-by-stripping-shadow-cabinet-a6804376.html
  • Options

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Wanderer said:

kle4 said:

I never skimp on shoes.

No idea what you are talking about, though your hatred of Kippers is laughable.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Scott_P said:

@newsundayherald: SNP manifesto for Holyrood 2016 will not contain commitment to independence referendum

Those Scottish generations keep getting longer ;)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

With oil at 35 dollars or less for the next few years it is not viable
  • Options
    @ShippersUnbound: “So far this year we have not seen one pence for a Labour majority at the next election,” said William Hill spokesman Rupert Adams.
  • Options

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

Wanderer said:

kle4 said:

I never skimp on shoes.

No idea what you are talking about, though your hatred of Kippers is laughable.
    Lol, I don't hate anyone. I like mocking Kippers yes, but hatred no.

Kippers are quite entertaining, every zoo should have a pair.
  • Options
    felix said:

Scott_P said:

//twitter.com/lisamarkwell/status/685941720840814592

When you consider that the simple move of Eagle from defence precipitates a change in policy of such magnitude then you wonder why she went so quietly.
    The real thrust as well, as outlined in the article, is to neuter the shadow cabinet. So if it happens then we will really see just what if anything they are made of.
    Not that it matters because labour MPs were clearly dim and useless and incompetent in putting Corbyn on the ticket in the first place. It's all too late now.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

@ShippersUnbound: “So far this year we have not seen one pence for a Labour majority at the next election,” said William Hill spokesman Rupert Adams.

I never really understand things like that though. It's not like £0 implies 0% chance, simply that William Hill's odds are too short. They're 9/2 (5.5) - way too short. I think 9/1 would be approaching the right area...
  • Options

Wanderer said:

Wanderer said:

felix said:

felix said:

Wanderer said:

felix said:

No.
    Sassenach is the give away.

Think German spies parachuted into England in tweed plus fours and speaking pure Bertie Woosterish.
    Damn. It's harder than it looks.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

https://twitter.com/NicolaSturgeon/status/685951382441046020

She's probably lying.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Those Scottish generations keep getting longer ;)
    On the other hand I am sure there will be a form of words.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I never really understand things like that though. It's not like £0 implies 0% chance, simply that William Hill's odds are too short. They're 9/2 (5.5) - way too short. I think 9/1 would be approaching the right area...
    To win a majority Labour would need a 9% swing in 2020.

I'd want more than 9/1 for Labour to win some of these constituencies:

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/2015guide/labourtargets/
  • Options

Scott_P said:

https://twitter.com/NicolaSturgeon/status/685951382441046020

She's probably lying.
    So Nicola, what you're saying is the SNP hasn't decided whether a commitment to an independence referendum will be in the 2016 manifesto? Pull the other one. Finalised or not, the SNP must have a clear view on that already.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Waiting to see how they do at the locals, no doubt.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Scott_P said:

4/1 or 9/2 are utterly rancid prices. 11/4 on most seats is far better, if you're deluded enough to want to back Labour in some form.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

To win a majority Labour would need a 9% swing in 2020.

I'd want more than 9/1 for Labour to win some of these constituencies:

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/2015guide/labourtargets/
    I wouldn't consider 9/1 good value, but it is an adequate demonstration of why nobody's backing them at 9/2...
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Labour majority is very difficult. With a good leader 9/2 might be fair.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    edited January 2016
    Moses_ said:

Ok so another country shoots in nukes at us and we being a pseudo nuclear power quickly re- arm to shoot back in the 15 minutes* allowed before the nukes arrive. Yeah I can see how that would work....

* ok perhaps half an hour then?

"One option, that is to be considered, is for Britain to become a “virtual nuclear state” like Japan and Iran – free of nuclear weapons but with the possibility of re-arming in a short period of time"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/trident-jeremy-corbyn-hopes-to-alter-labours-stance-on-nuclear-weapons-by-stripping-shadow-cabinet-a6804376.html

That is an extremely stupid idea, much like the Lib Dem idea of keeping the subs in port and only putting them to sea in a crisis.

Both ideas would be exceedingly provocative if put into action, and if anything would invite a first strike before the subs can be put to sea or the warheads manufactured/rearmed (whatever degree of virtual state you choose).
This discussion has been closed.