Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn’s reshuffle – the aftermath with more resignations e

12346»

Comments

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631

Charles said:

taffys said:

Its interesting that the MSM is catching on to Cologne today, well behind us on PB.

I think it is becoming too big an issue to ignore.
    The BBC were covering it yesterday as I think were newspapers. Its only just been covered in the German press.
    The BBC say there is trouble with large gangs of men in the same place every new years eve for several years. The issue is usually robbery. This year was clearly worse and the clear question is why were there not more police.
    The issue of the way women should conduct themselves has erupted because of a remark by the mayor of Cologne and as far as I can see everyone has quite rightly jumped on him.

The BBC also give a report of a woman having a firework thrown into her hoodie. Another group of women being harassed and 'groped' by a gang of 30 men. Women have clearly been targeted but the emotive issue of rape which is exercising everyone is not yet clear. There seems to be a clear conclusion (or accusation) that well, mass rapes have been taking place. But the reporting does not justify this.
    It was on local radio in Socal this morning
    The funny thing is that by treating it as a scary story (what if everyone in Germany rejoins the NSDAP???? Must bury story!!!!!) rather than dealing with the issue it is making the problem much worse.

The issue is quite simple. In much of the globe, societies are much less advanced in dealing with womens rights, religious right, gay right etc. This leads to the following options -

1) Immigrants need to be educated to respect local laws and customs.
    2) Immigrants need to be filtered for those who will respect local laws and customs.
    3) Give up on womens rights, gay rights etc.
    4) No immigrants.

Personally I am in favour of a mix of 1 & 2.
    I'd be 2 and 4. 1 doesn't work very well with Muslim immigrants and 3 absolutely is out of the question. Far fewer immigrants and then those who do come need to be stringently tested for cultural values and to pass a spoken and written English exam. Exceptions given to people of extreme necessity, i.e. this Japanese guy needs to run the nuclear power station and there is no one in the UK who can do it, but he doesn't speak English very well.
  • Options

Dearie me http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/what-if-they-remove-jeremy-corbyn-from-their-myspace-top-eig

The dispute between the Labour’s various factions took a strange turn on the internet as one of the party’s centrist MPs has apparently blocked several pro-Corbyn MPs on Twitter.

The dispute between the Labour’s various factions took a strange turn on the internet as one of the party’s centrist MPs has apparently blocked several pro-Corbyn MPs on Twitter...

However, it appears that this is not an isolated case: Blenkinsop, who nominated Liz Kendall for the leadership, has long been a critic of Corbyn and he appears to have blocked many Labour MPs who strongly support the leader
    Rich Burgon has been found - seemingly checking twitter of Mr. Blenkinsop at 3am in the morning...

No wonder he's no time to find the City.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,806
    tlg86 said:

Just broke on BBC news,Donald Trump may pull 700 million investment in the UK(mainly in Scotland)if any attempt of banning him from coming here.

Who cares? Let him do it - basically he's threatening to sell up; I doubt too many jobs are dependent upon his investments.
    We should certainly let him in. Letting him out though is a different matter. Any home secretary that allows a lunatic such as Trump to walk the streets isn't doing their job.

Admittedly I wouldn't redirect forces from their main task of locking Gordo up, but if they did get a moment then it'd be good to throw Trump in Room 101 too.

Corbyn:
    I think I've worked out that Corbyn is so inexperienced in government that he just figures that these are the ups and downs of an average leader. McDonnell is pulling the strings I think.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    glw said:

Surely there's one thing we can all agree on - the SNP dodged a mighty big bullet with oil prices now in the thirty dollar range. They were looking in a poor place at fifty bucks oil. The thirties would leave them exporting whisky ... and begging letters.

Scotland would be looking at something north of a £7 billion a year hole in the budget. It would be on a par with what the UK as a whole went through in the financial crash. The SNP's fantasy finances didn't add up at the time, now they read like a horror novel.
    Fascinating that there doesn't yet seem to be any splash-back on the SNP. Their prospectus came within a few percentage points of being implemented. And it would have meant a society that wouldn't have had the pound as a currency, so much as strings of seashells worn around the neck....
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    Scott_P said:

glw said:

Scotland would be looking at something north of a £7 billion a year hole in the budget. It would be on a par with what the UK as a whole went through in the financial crash. The SNP's fantasy finances didn't add up at the time, now they read like a horror novel.

GERS predicted to be £14 billion deficit this year
    Yes I was justing talking about the missing revenue.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Mr. Omnium, Julian the Apostate had no experience of any kind of leadership when he was made Caesar and sent to protect Gaul. Demetrius Poliorcetes lost his first battle but retreated in good order and learnt from it.

Inexperience alone is insufficient. Corbyn's plain stupid.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

Fascinating that there doesn't yet seem to be any splash-back on the SNP.

Nats like the Labour Ultras don't give a damn about facts.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    glw said:

Nats like the Labour Ultras don't give a damn about facts.

Nicola launched her big education initiative today, which is getting rave reviews.

Meanwhile...

@alexgallagher2: Just come across nine-year-old tweet from @NicolaSturgeon on educational achievement. Can't wait to see how she did. https://t.co/u7qjpUce7D
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,643
    MaxPB said:

Charles said:

taffys said:

Its interesting that the MSM is catching on to Cologne today, well behind us on PB.

The BBC were covering it yesterday as I think were newspapers. Its only just been covered in the German press.
    The BBC say there is trouble with large gangs of men in the same place every new years eve for several years. The issue is usually robbery. This year was clearly worse and the clear question is why were there not more police.
    The issue of the way women should conduct themselves has erupted because of a remark by the mayor of Cologne and as far as I can see everyone has quite rightly jumped on him.

The funny thing is that by treating it as a scary story (what if everyone in Germany rejoins the NSDAP???? Must bury story!!!!!) rather than dealing with the issue it is making the problem much worse.

The issue is quite simple. In much of the globe, societies are much less advanced in dealing with womens rights, religious right, gay right etc. This leads to the following options -

2) Immigrants need to be filtered for those who will respect local laws and customs.
    4) No immigrants.

I'd be 2 and 4. 1 doesn't work very well with Muslim immigrants and 3 absolutely is out of the question. Far fewer immigrants and then those who do come need to be stringently tested for cultural values and to pass a spoken and written English exam. Exceptions given to people of extreme necessity, i.e. this Japanese guy needs to run the nuclear power station and there is no one in the UK who can do it, but he doesn't speak English very well.
    You are wrong I believe. The real issue is the extreme strains of Islam that sell the "Chosen Master Race" guff (yes, pretty much literally that). The discontinuity between being The master Race and being backward and poor then become problematic....

A ban on Wahhabi preachers would be logical, if we are talking about banning Trump. The average sermon from those characters includes racism against at least one group - Hindus, Jew, Sikhs, Shia muslims. Even if you don't mind anti-Christian racism....
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,078

Mr. kle4, don't you give me that PC gamer master race nonsense.

I kid - the only reason I don't have a console at present (current gen anyway) is cost and because I don't usually have control of the big TV in my house - so I stick to PC, which now you can play a lot of games with a proper controller is fine.

I regret missing out on things like The Last of Us, and many other console exclusives.
  • Options
    Burnham's finally had enough. He'll now think twice about accepting the role of Deputy-PM-Nominate if and when it's offered.

In other news David Lammy has taken soundings about whether he should apply for a paper-round, and Chukka Umunna has pulled out of tuesdays on the basis that it may encroach on his family life.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Corbynistas view Trump as extreme. The average person probably views Corbyn as being more extreme than Trump.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    MaxPB said:

Charles said:

taffys said:

The BBC also give a report of a woman having a firework thrown into her hoodie. Another group of women being harassed and 'groped' by a gang of 30 men. Women have clearly been targeted but the emotive issue of rape which is exercising everyone is not yet clear. There seems to be a clear conclusion (or accusation) that well, mass rapes have been taking place. But the reporting does not justify this.

4) No immigrants.

Yes I agree - No immigrants!

Happy to drive you to Heathrow so you can piss you from here!

Tw*t!!
  • Options
    Off topic
    Just been VI'd by YouGov.
    A number of questions on the doctors strike.

And this one.
    Do you think it is acceptable or unacceptable for women to ogle at men?

Completely acceptable

Fairly acceptable

Fairly unacceptable

Completely unacceptable

Don’t know
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @Alison_McGovern: Did the Shadow Chancellor call me a Tory just before we met this afternoon? Sorry, not ok >> https://t.co/yXoxWmBxK7 #proudofprogress
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''Corbynistas view Trump as extreme. The average person probably views Corbyn as being more extreme than Trump. ''

Many MPs and media people would agree with the Corbynistas.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    murali_s said:

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

taffys said:

4) No immigrants.

Yes I agree - No immigrants!

Happy to drive you to Heathrow so you can piss you from here!

Tw*t!!
    You've just failed the written English exam.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Scott_P said:

@Alison_McGovern: Did the Shadow Chancellor call me a Tory just before we met this afternoon? Sorry, not ok >> https://t.co/yXoxWmBxK7 #proudofprogress

Not often that ‘Progress’ are described as extreme right wingers - McDonnell is such an idiot.
  • Options

Mr. Omnium, Julian the Apostate had no experience of any kind of leadership when he was made Caesar and sent to protect Gaul. Demetrius Poliorcetes lost his first battle but retreated in good order and learnt from it.

Julian (who rang a bell, but I looked up) did have experience though - in the same way Prince Charles has. Had to look up the second chap as I'd never heard of him - again though some expectation. There were no expectations in the Corbyn mind of anything. I'm only trying to find some plausible explanation as to why on earth he's still at the Labour helm!

I'm always a little struck when reading the history of the Romans as to how it was echoed in the history of the Popes. Somewhere in that lot there was a truly unexpected pope I think.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,005

"To what extent given the low price can we justify not increasing petrol tax?"

What insanity is this? The price of an essential commodity is falling to the benefit of all but a few businesses and a relatively small number of individuals so our response should be to artificially increase the price by raising taxes. What,as they say, tf?

If the Gov't had introduced the stabiliser at $100 oil, then fair enough. But it didn't - so it'll just be seen as a massive tax hike now at sub 40.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    taffys said:

''Corbynistas view Trump as extreme. The average person probably views Corbyn as being more extreme than Trump. ''

Many MPs and media people would agree with the Corbynistas.

There are two extremities on every linear spectrum.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Pauly said:

Charles said:

Pauly said:

Off-topic: Digital Justice reforms beginning to rollout today to hopefully be operational fully by March. Exciting potential for improving court efficiency & if you imagine it combined with License Fee Abolition (1 in 9 of Magistrate Court Cases) could save a lot of wasted taxpayer money.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/crime-news-update-on-better-case-management-crown-court-rollout

License fee cases are dealt with in block courts. They may be 11-12% of cases, but they take about 1 day of court time a month.
    That's 12 days of pointless court time a year. "Every little helps."
    12 magistrate days - they do it as a stype court rather than a bench (a typical court might have 9 magistrates a day 23 days a month) and 12 clerk days. So about 0.5% of court capacity.

Magistrates want them abolished though. Because it's boring work.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,907
    What a sleazy and hypocritical bunch this new Labour clique are accusing and then sacking a colleague for disloyalty.

Those high profile shadow ministers who have stayed on had better fall into line or the public will give them the same raspberry they gave Claire Short when her principles were found to be an illusion
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    The @mattsmithetc "magic square" of party support and leader ratings in elections since 1983 https://t.co/xKfYvRajl2 https://t.co/3TO6hltfcI
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,113
    MaxPB said:

Charles said:

taffys said:

4) No immigrants.

How do you reliably test for cultural values?
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    "That is why I am fighting for reforms like getting rid of the three-crop rule, reforming the over-the-top audit and controls regime, and the absurd requirement for farmers to put up ugly posters in the countryside to publicise EU funding." - Liz Truss
    https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/environment-minister-addresses-the-oxford-farming-conference--2
    She's got my backing despite my normal irrational dislike of europhiles.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Ouch

Joe Haines, Harold Wilson's spinner, On Corbyn in the @NewStatesman https://t.co/HVaiuAVoMI
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,233

Ouch

Joe Haines, Harold Wilson's spinner, On Corbyn in the @NewStatesman https://t.co/HVaiuAVoMI

And yet, unless and until they take action, he is the leader and is busy turning Labour into a mixture of the SWP and Respect.

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Omnium said:

Julian (who rang a bell, but I looked up) did have experience though - in the same way Prince Charles has. Had to look up the second chap as I'd never heard of him - again though some expectation. There were no expectations in the Corbyn mind of anything. I'm only trying to find some plausible explanation as to why on earth he's still at the Labour helm!

I'm always a little struck when reading the history of the Romans as to how it was echoed in the history of the Popes. Somewhere in that lot there was a truly unexpected pope I think.

John XXII must be top of the list of unexpected popes. The cardinals probably only elected him because they were desperate to get to of the conclave (the French King had then banged up until they came elected a new pope) and because he appeared so old and frail he wouldn't live long. He actually went on for 18 years and was one of the longest reigning medieval popes.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

taffys said:

4) No immigrants.

Multiple choice test paper, face to face interview, monitored group discussion, any number of ways. Testing for a person's values happens everyday in job selection processes, it is not something weird or unheard of.

The practicalities of doing it for the thick end of 10,000 people a year is another matter.
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    Pulpstar said:

"To what extent given the low price can we justify not increasing petrol tax?"

What insanity is this? The price of an essential commodity is falling to the benefit of all but a few businesses and a relatively small number of individuals so our response should be to artificially increase the price by raising taxes. What,as they say, tf?

If the Gov't had introduced the stabiliser at $100 oil, then fair enough. But it didn't - so it'll just be seen as a massive tax hike now at sub 40.
    I'm not suggesting it (a tax rise on petrol) is one thing or the other. I like the low price of petrol, I am on a fixed income. To what extent is the govt losing net revenue on the current price of oil?
    Low oil ought to be relatively helpful to the economy but there must be some downsides. Its predicted that some 23000 jobs are going to be lost in the north sea industry. Norway is 'bracing for 40,000 job losses'.
    On the other hand we are net oil importers so that helps out trade gap and apparently every '$20 a barrel fall in the crude oil price boosts global growth by 0.3 to 0.4 percentage points, sustained over several years'
    But we do have a deficit hanging over us.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Julian the Apostate also tried to resurrect an ancient belief system about 30 years too late.

Makes you think.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,781
    edited January 2016

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

taffys said:

4) No immigrants.

Multiple choice test paper, face to face interview, monitored group discussion, any number of ways. Testing for a person's values happens everyday in job selection processes, it is not something weird or unheard of.

The practicalities of doing it for the thick end of 10,000 people a year is another matter.
    >The issue of the way women should conduct themselves has erupted because of a remark by the mayor of Cologne and as far as I can see everyone has quite rightly jumped on him.

Jumped on her, I think (?)

The definition of "advanced" is itself an artefact of culture, though.

So we have to start with the idea that there is no "neutral" or "objective" place to stand.

Was it Cliff Richard who sang "you are under the influence of somebody ... all of the time".

If we were willing to accept that our society has core values, rather than being so obnoxiously polite to everybody all the time, it would be a lot more straightforward imo.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited January 2016
    https://twitter.com/frank_fisher/status/684838866289836032

German media admits conspiracy of silence over Cologne attacks. Will British media come clean?
This discussion has been closed.