Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corbyn’s reshuffle – the aftermath with more resignations e

Comments

• Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    What's with Laura K's frumpy jumper????? Contrasts badly with Nandy's legs #bbcdp
  • Options

... another one bites the dust:

cathynewman · 2m2 minutes ago
    Labour's @KevanJonesMP has quit the front bench over #Trident I understand. More front benchers are to follow I'm told. #reshuffle

Not normally one for dramatics, but this is beginning to look seriously bad for Corbyn.
    Nah we are still on the who are they level (among the public) ? It had to be Benn to cause the shit stir.
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    If I was Jeremy Corbyn I'd immediately resign to save further embarrassment, and if possible try and force through rule changes lowering minimum nominations to make the ballot on the NEC. ASAP preferably. The membership will do the rest, and the left may still prevail...
  • Options
    From here Bairstow should swing the bat and then we could look at a third declaration of this match.

Even if we lose, just basically play like its a Twenty20.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    For all those on the Left who have gleefully expected the Tories to split apart over Europe - they seem to be missing the split currently ripping Labour apart over defence, security and terrorism. The appointment of Ken Livingstone into the mix on the future of Trident has been a huge mistake, now supplemented by the appointment of Thornberry.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    kle4 said:

Actually good PMQs from Corbyn, not a good look for Dave to be replying with partisan jibes whilst people are flooded out.

Couldn't help himself I imagine. Enormous temptation there, and he does like a good jibe.
    Who doesn't. I mean, to be honest, who cares about floods when there's some political knockabout to enjoy?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,753

Reminds of the opening of a certain 'niche' movie I watched in a hotel once.

@RhonddaBryant: I'm grateful for the concern of journalists asking why I'm not at PMQs. I'm sitting in a freezing flat waiting for a boiler engineer.

Shame on you Bryant - it is a Boiler Technician, not an Engineer!
  • Options

From here Bairstow should swing the bat and then we could look at a third declaration of this match.

Who do you think would win from here if this were a timeless test?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @gabyhinsliff: So far, the resignations are a lot better timed for major news bulletins than the sackings #willthisreshuffleneverned
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Mr. StClare, needs a bigger resignation to really hurt.

Bad for Corbyn, but not too serious.

Death by a thousand tuts....
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''Yes but the cowards who remain in post are really being shown up. Cameron was right to give them a proper kicking. ''

You could imagine the criticism in, say, five years time 'and don't forget, this was a person who was quite content to serve under Jeremy Corbyn'.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

But if it was a timeless test England would still be batting in their first innings.... /Boycottmode
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,416
    taffys said:

''Yes but the cowards who remain in post are really being shown up. Cameron was right to give them a proper kicking. ''

You could imagine the criticism in, say, five years time 'and don't forget, this was a person who was quite content to serve under Jeremy Corbyn'.

Quite so, it is a mark of shame.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@gabyhinsliff: So far, the resignations are a lot better timed for major news bulletins than the sackings #willthisreshuffleneverned

What do you mean. Announcing appointments at 1am is absolutely prime time...
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    It seems that David Cameron had heard about Kevan Jones's resignation before Jeremy Corbyn. If so, it has surely come to something when Labour shadow ministers are on closer terms with the Conservative Prime Minister than with their own leader.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Mr. Meeks, it's possible that most people who aren't Corbynite had an inkling it was coming.

Not so much Cameron being well-informed as Corbyn and his cronies being kept in the dark.
  • Options
    German thing is getting worse...

Alarmingly, police in Dusseldorf fear the attacks may be linked to a known criminal gang comprising 2,000 North African men - who use sexual assault as a means of distraction.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3386673/Women-Cologne-lockdown-council-admits-no-longer-safe-wake-African-Arab-mob-s-rapes-declares-upcoming-carnival-no-area-females.html
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,005
    Thought Corbyn marginally edged the PMQs ^^;

With just Dave and Jeremy in the chamber would have been a draw.
  • Options

What was it Dave said about Twitter ?

@WeeMissBea: The past tense of "tweet" is "twat". Example: "I liked that tweet you twat."
  • Options

It seems that David Cameron had heard about Kevan Jones's resignation before Jeremy Corbyn. If so, it has surely come to something when Labour shadow ministers are on closer terms with the Conservative Prime Minister than with their own leader.

The Corbynites are going to love that
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    Wanderer said:

If it were a timeless test, England wouldn't have declared in the first place.

As an aside, I do favour a limited reintroduction of timeless tests. One reason, I expect, for the decline in popularity of test cricket is the absence of a meaningful World Championship. It'd be relatively easy to organise, with two pools of countries, semi-finals and a final, played over several years. But the problem with the semis and final is the risk of a tied series. The best way to resolve such a series would be a timeless test, either as the last in the series (if it's level going in to it), or as a tie-breaker.
  • Options
    @paulwaugh: Labour spksman for Corbyn confirms Kevan Jones is third shadow minister to quit. "There aren't any more, unless you can tell me.."
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,233

That was beginning to be obvious during the PMQs after the Paris atrocities.

Corbyn's little group should call themselves the SWP, which is what they now are, and the rest can remain Labour.
  • Options
    All peace and love in the Labour Party

@PaulFlynnMP: Corbyn-Victory Deniers in uber-rant. Poor losers in denial on JC's victory. Celebrate departure of lightweights. Bettter Replacements coming
  • Options
    @PaulFlynnMP: Corbyn-Victory Deniers in uber-rant. Poor losers in denial on JC's victory. Celebrate departure of lightweights. Bettter Replacements coming
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Scott_P said:

@Jamin2g: People are resigning on television, Labour are trailing by double digits in most polls. Has the penny dropped now?
    #bbcdp #pmqs

No they are not! Most polls have them 5 to 8 points behind.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Thought Corbyn marginally edged the PMQs ^^;

With just Dave and Jeremy in the chamber would have been a draw.

Disagree!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    @MrHarryCole: Seems a deal between Corbyn and Benn mentioned by McDonnell this morning has now been downgraded to "an understanding".
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Scott_P said:

If better replacements exist, why weren't they appointed first time round?!
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474

All peace and love in the Labour Party

Better Replacements? Does the barrel even have a bottom left, or has it been scraped through?
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, saw a snippet of John Mann and Paul Flynn debating politely on Sky News yesterday evening. One suspects Mann would like a shadow post, so he could resign it.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

From here South Africa but if it was a timeless test we would never be here. The day 2 declaration would never have happened under a timeless test and the way we were playing we could have racked up close to a thousand runs and put SA under far more pressure.
  • Options

Wanderer said:

As an aside, I do favour a limited reintroduction of timeless tests. One reason, I expect, for the decline in popularity of test cricket is the absence of a meaningful World Championship. It'd be relatively easy to organise, with two pools of countries, semi-finals and a final, played over several years. But the problem with the semis and final is the risk of a tied series. The best way to resolve such a series would be a timeless test, either as the last in the series (if it's level going in to it), or as a tie-breaker.
    Good idea.

Certainly we wouldn't have declared in a timeless test. I'm wondering what total would be competitive for England now, if one takes away the possibility of a draw.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,233
    Scott_P said:

@MrHarryCole: Seems a deal between Corbyn and Benn mentioned by McDonnell this morning has now been downgraded to "an understanding".

So in reality:

JC: I am the leader. I have the right to sack whoever I like and will do so.

HB: So you do.

JC: Bye

HB: Bye

• Options
    @Cigar117: Hey @jeremycorbyn, I'm arranging a gathering for some friends at a beverage fermentary. Can you lend me some organisational advise? #PMQs
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298
    edited January 2016
    German Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere has strongly criticised police handling of gang sex attacks on women and girls in Cologne on New Year's Eve.

"The police shouldn't work like this," he said, as it emerged only a handful of people had been arrested.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35241818

I think the local plod might ask where this gang of 1000-2000 "North African" men came from and why were they allowed into the country...

I have been to Cologne on a number of occasions over the past 10 years (not been for 3 years or so) and I can't say I ever seen large gangs of "North African" men hanging around the train station.

According to 2009 data, out of a million people in Cologne, only 8800 came from Africa. Think that might have changed a bit over past 6 years.
  • Options
    @STJamesl: So far More shadow ministers have removed themselves than have been sacked by Corbyn #reshuffle
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,017

I'm still in denial about what McDonnell said on Radio 4 this morning. Apparently in a free vote Shadow Cabinet members should speak and vote in line with not their own conscience but the views expressed by the party leader. And JJ agrees 100% with what McFadden said about terrorists but apparently McFadden said it in the wrong context, or somesuch.

No - McDonnell said that if front benchers want to speak against the party line in a free vote, they can do so from the back benches rather than the front bench. Justin Webb couldn't grasp this, and thought McDonnell was saying that the shadow minister would have to resign, when all he was saying was he or she would have to sit in a different place to make their speech.
    I am not sure I agree with you there. Webb obviously failed to ask the correct disambiguation question, and McDonnell kept repeating the phrase "speak from the back benches" which is obviously capable of two meanings. But overall I certainly didn't get the impression that McDonnell would have had no problem with Benn's speech had he made it from a different place in the Commons. The meaning I got was that you could not expect to be in the SC and disagree with the leader, even on a "free" vote.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    :smiley:

Mr. StClare, needs a bigger resignation to really hurt.

Bad for Corbyn, but not too serious.

Death by a thousand tuts....
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,113
    I take my son out to a play group, and by the time I'm back the Labour Party's falling apart.

I should have taken him out for longer. ;)
  • Options
    Has TSE taken a free transfer from the Raf to the Navy???
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, in your absence he was appointed Shadow Secretary of State for the Environment. Congratulations/commiserations :p
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Wanderer said:

Wanderer said:

Good idea.

Certainly we wouldn't have declared in a timeless test. I'm wondering what total would be competitive for England now, if one takes away the possibility of a draw.
  • Options

I take my son out to a play group, and by the time I'm back the Labour Party's falling apart.

I should have taken him out for longer. ;)

The Labour Party has never been more united. apparently...
  • Options
    Cathy Newman
    . @milesvtaylor Yes I feel ashamed as a member of the media that it's taken so long for us to start to get to the truth.

Details emerging about #Cologne attacks are horrifying. Covering this extensively on @Channel4News tonight.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    edited January 2016

I'm still in denial about what McDonnell said on Radio 4 this morning. Apparently in a free vote Shadow Cabinet members should speak and vote in line with not their own conscience but the views expressed by the party leader. And JJ agrees 100% with what McFadden said about terrorists but apparently McFadden said it in the wrong context, or somesuch.

No - McDonnell said that if front benchers want to speak against the party line in a free vote, they can do so from the back benches rather than the front bench. Justin Webb couldn't grasp this, and thought McDonnell was saying that the shadow minister would have to resign, when all he was saying was he or she would have to sit in a different place to make their speech.
    I am not sure I agree with you there. Webb obviously failed to ask the correct disambiguation question, and McDonnell kept repeating the phrase "speak from the back benches" which is obviously capable of two meanings. But overall I certainly didn't get the impression that McDonnell would have had no problem with Benn's speech had he made it from a different place in the Commons. The meaning I got was that you could not expect to be in the SC and disagree with the leader, even on a "free" vote.
    Basically, McDonnell is either foolish or a hypocrite

Foolish if the physical place where the comment is made matters
    A hypocrite if he objects to the speech; Benn should therefore have been fired.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Scott_P said:

@Jamin2g: People are resigning on television, Labour are trailing by double digits in most polls. Has the penny dropped now?
    #bbcdp #pmqs

If we take polls from after the recent by-election, then neither statement is true.

• Options
    Exams to be taken earlier in the day to fit around Ramadan, exam boards say

The announcement follows comments by the children's commissioner, who said the exams time table could be delayed to accommodate Muslim pupils

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/12084785/Exams-to-be-taken-earlier-in-the-day-to-fit-around-Ramadan-exam-boards-say.html
  • Options
    Given myself a sexy avi cus I'm sexy
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I may not be a labour supporter, but the fact the leader of the opposition thinks November was our fault is still a huge punch in the stomach.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187
    Was this the worst conducted reshuffle ever? Trailed for days it was completed in the middle of the night when nobody was watching and was a complete anti climax. Then the headlines the next day are dominated by Shadow Cabinet resignations instead
  • Options
    JBriskin said:

I trust you are not planning to go to Germany dressed like that. It would be provocative.

Apparently.
  • Options
    TomTom Posts: 273
    Seumus Milne is doing a valiant job of demonstrating that there is a senior Labour figure who is more incompetent than his boss.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,072
    Scott_P said:

Well at least someone is positive about the leadership, it gets boring only seeing the complainers.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Scott_P said:

#bbcdp #pmqs

The latest poll from yougov has Labour 10 points behind
  • Options
    Three resignations before my first G&T. Lovely.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

JBriskin said:

I trust you are not planning to go to Germany dressed like that. It would be provocative.

Apparently.
    I'm a boy!!! sexy avi cus I'm sexy
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Well at least someone is positive about the leadership, it gets boring only seeing the complainers.
    Its like having the support of the bloke who sits on the bus shouting to himself whilst everyone edges away nervously.
  • Options
    That hacks have been taking the piss extensively over its duration too.

I can't think of a more stupid, apparently vindictive and badly handled one.
    HYUFD said:

Was this the worst conducted reshuffle ever? Trailed for days it was completed in the middle of the night when nobody was watching and was a complete anti climax. Then the headlines the next day are dominated by Shadow Cabinet resignations instead

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,599
    If ever there was a situation the phrase 'rats leaving a sinking ship' was invented for...
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,628
    edited January 2016
    Tom said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Its like having the support of the bloke who sits on the bus shouting to himself whilst everyone edges away nervously.
    Buses are for plebians.

The cruellest sentence in the English language is 'Your train has been cancelled and a replacement bus service is running instead'
  • Options
    @steve_hawkes: Labour's Kevan Jones goes as Shadow Defence Minister - and says Maria Eagle did not want to leave defence post "she made that very clear"

Will Maria now need to "clarify her position"?
  • Options
    Anywhoos Englands declared 116-6 is that right? Keeps my bet alive I guess - Exciting!!!
  • Options
    @smashmorePH: Kevan Jones: "Idea our defence policy is being controlled by the north London part of the party will be looked on with dismay by many" #wato
  • Options
    I bet on England again y'see
  • Options

Tom said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Buses are for plebs.

The cruellest sentence in the English language is 'Your train has been cancelled and a replacement bus service is running instead'
    There are a few up-market routes in parts of London, with a combination of yummy mummies, private school kids, 'hard working people', and nutters.
  • Options
    Well that is tea. England 157 ahead, 37 overs left, 4 wickets in hand. It has been a lot more exciting than I expected but they are surely safe now. I think they played somewhat adventurously trying to set a score but the clatter of wickets has surely ended that idea.

I think they will just bat out the overs until a draw can be agreed.
  • Options
    @VickiYoung01: John McDonnell says shad ministers resigning "all come from narrow right-wing in Lab and never really accepted Jeremy's mandate" #reshuffle
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,599

Just think in 4 years time this lot could be running the country....

https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/684713295643852800

That's quite the comb over (or comb back) Cameron is sporting there.
  • Options

That hacks have been taking the piss extensively over its duration too.

I can't think of a more stupid, apparently vindictive and badly handled one.

HYUFD said:

Yes it is hard to see how it could have been worse
  • Options
    Miss Plato, I did consider posting that Perdiccas' reshuffle of the satrapies after Alexander's death was worse.

But, to be honest, it wasn't. Perdiccas was a better leader, and did a better reshuffle, than Corbyn.

Labour must hope Corbyn isn't a modern Honorius: utterly rubbish, but somehow stays in post for bloody years.
  • Options

Three resignations before my first G&T. Lovely.

Hasn't been one for an hour now: #newstability
  • Options
    @ChrisMcSh: BBC's Political Editor Laura Kuenssberg confirms Corbyn's team were the ones briefing they wanted a new face in Benn's post - Daily Politics
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@smashmorePH: Kevan Jones: "Idea our defence policy is being controlled by the north London part of the party will be looked on with dismay by many" #wato

Actually it did occur to me that the solution for Labour is for them to split into two parties geographically: London Labour and Northern Labour (or three if you include Scottish Labour, but they can't contribute much in the way of seats nowadays...). That way they could split without being shafted by FPTP.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Well that is tea. England 157 ahead, 37 overs left, 4 wickets in hand. It has been a lot more exciting than I expected but they are surely safe now. I think they played somewhat adventurously trying to set a score but the clatter of wickets has surely ended that idea.

I think they will just bat out the overs until a draw can be agreed.

Declare!!!!!!!!!!! Keep Our Bets Alive
  • Options
    @paulwaugh: Ominous Watson fears of 'London-centric' Labour on defence etc. Never forget @tom_watson has his *own* big mandate. https://t.co/grECnWA8VI
  • Options
    @hopisen: What this reshuffle needs to be perfect is one of the people sacked yesterday to be offered job of one of the people who resigned today.
  • Options
    They're not going to declare are they? Stupid sport anyway
  • Options
    @politicshome: Lilian Greenwood says no one in the PLP would disagree with Pat McFadden on terrorism. #wato

Except Jezza...
  • Options
    We thought Jezza was scraping the barrel with Shad Cab 1.0

Now we have Emma Two Names given a job. The infamously inarticulate MP for Safe Seat Reduced Majority.
    Scott_P said:

• Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    HYUFD said:

Some government ones have been worse. I seem to remember a Brown reshuffle that ended in a complete shambles. I'm pretty sure that at least one Thatcher one did. And Macmillan's NOTLK still being referred to as a reference point gives proof as to its own status as a classic.

Cameron has, perhaps, been fortunate in being constrained by the coalition and so having much less scope to reshuffle last parliament.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Scott_P said:

@ChrisMcSh: BBC's Political Editor Laura Kuenssberg confirms Corbyn's team were the ones briefing they wanted a new face in Benn's post - Daily Politics

Shocked. - I think it is a given that everyone in the PLP is briefing against each other. #unity
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,072
    JBriskin said:

Heresy!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Some government ones have been worse. I seem to remember a Brown reshuffle that ended in a complete shambles. I'm pretty sure that at least one Thatcher one did. And Macmillan's NOTLK still being referred to as a reference point gives proof as to its own status as a classic.

Cameron has, perhaps, been fortunate in being constrained by the coalition and so having much less scope to reshuffle last parliament.
    According to the Seldon book he made a positive choice not to do it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

JBriskin said:

Heresy!
    I stuck a whole tenner on England (apparently not a team?) when they'd scored over 600 - you can surely take my point.

I've got one min betfair left on my betfair... :(
  • Options

Tom said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Buses are for plebians.

Reading to Oxford on the rail replacement for the last train of the day. All about the party bus, choo choo.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@VickiYoung01: John McDonnell says shad ministers resigning "all come from narrow right-wing in Lab and never really accepted Jeremy's mandate" #reshuffle

Obviously from the right of the party. "Narrow" though? What happened to representative of all views?

• Options
    I don;t really see how Hillary Benn's position is tenable, to be honest.
  • Options

the world has gone mad - in the comments section of the guardian Michael White is getting called out as some sort of crypto fascist for suggesting Corbyn is.... err....not that good at politics.

Toynbee et al not pure enough for the true believers. Extraordinary as I dont really remember the old militant stuff.

I know pretty much everyone is sick of the status quo but this?

Labour really looking like two parties now irespective of a formal split.

Nah, that's been the norm regarding CIF for sometime now. These people are totally insane. They cannot take anyone disagreeing with them on anything ever. They'd probably even get angry if you didn't like the same TV shows they did.

The Cologne story is just getting worse and worse. I still cannot believe that police attitudes to rape and sexual assault can actually be like that in this day and age. And the DM comments' section on the Cologne story. Only they could believe it's been 50 years since Britain was a 'great country'. Sigh.
  • Options
    I'll stick it on that nice american doctor - at least I'll be consistent
  • Options
    @bbcnickrobinson: Extraordinary to hear quitters & sacked filling airwaves with anti-Corbyn quotes which will be used again & again by Labour's opponents
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Good grief. It gets worse!

As I said the other day, things have been steadily getting worse for Labour for about ten years.

The worrying thing is that trend shows no sign of reversing. If anything it is accelerating.

So, at some point in the future we might look back at this reshuffle as "the good old days".

• Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Scott_P said:

@politicshome: Lilian Greenwood says no one in the PLP would disagree with Pat McFadden on terrorism. #wato

Except Jezza...

And his Shadow Chancellor...
  • Options

I agree that the inability to hold full reshuffles actually helped Cameron in the coalition days. I wonder if he would agree and if he'll exercise the same self-restraint now. Tricky: if you have the power of patronage there are always people demanding you use it (to promote them, naturally).

There's going to a major post-referendum reshuffle isn't there, whoever wins?
  • Options
    Well that's it - JBriskin got a zero bankroll - first time in my adult life.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    ''I still cannot believe that police attitudes to rape and sexual assault can actually be like that in this day and age.''

???? Have you never heard of Rotherham? Oxford? The faults of the police were far worse there than Cologne, and that was just a few years ago.

For the Cologne police, as for the Rotherham police, the chief principle (as set by their superiors) is Not To Be Racist.

That comes before the rule of law, naturally.
  • Options
    I'll have to specialize in PMQ analysis or something
This discussion has been closed.