Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Star War images: Jedi Jezza and Stormtrooper Osbo

124»

Comments

• Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    The Times/@YouGov EU ref poll Remain 41% (nc) Remain 42% (+1)

"Remain or Remain."

Hmm. Sounds like an EU ref all right.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Update - Munich Police: The Pasinger station and main #Munich station have been cleared and trains are no longer running
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

"Remain or Remain."

LOL.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,955

Ignore election results

Venezuela Supreme Court blocks opposition's parliamentary super-majority in 'judicial coup': Judges granted go... https://t.co/KuqG4hyje2

Hmm, I don't recall hearing about this 'People's Parliament' the story mentions, from a few weeks ago.
    Diosdado Cabello, the outgoing head of the National Assembly, announced that he was creating a new "National Communal Parliament". He gave no details of how it would work, other than to state that it was designed to give revolutionary activists a mechanism to make decisions and manage resources..."The most important power is the power of the communes. There is no purer form of organisation"

Well, that's not shady at all. Although it does seem to suggest they are taking the lesson that sometimes the problem is not the wrong kind of party or policy, but the wrong kind of electorate, much more seriously than they should.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/venezuela/12054618/Venezuela-announces-new-peoples-parliament-as-the-countrys-elite-face-mounting-drug-charges.html
  • Options
    Pew Research
    Muslims are rising fastest & the unaffiliated shrinking as a share of the world’s population https://t.co/nWYmhlecFr https://t.co/ILF1mRfsGi
  • Options

There are other issues, such as whether you have the right to use reasonable force to prevent people burgling your property, and what counts as reasonable when you are outnumbered by younger, stronger men. But as it happens Martin shot them while running away. While he undoubtedly did the world a favour, that does have to be illegal. However I think manslaughter was about right, in that a shotgun loaded with birdshot is not normally lethal when used on humans.

The problem with the Tony Martin case was twofold. Firstly he had been targeted many times before. So much so that he had developed an acute form of paranoia and had removed his own staircase so that burglers couldn't get upstairs when he was in the house at night. The police had recommended that as he was such a target in an isolated farmhouse the best thing he could do was move. That to me is a total abrogation of duty by the police.

The other problem is the burglers were already career criminals who had committed numerous crimes before hand and those who survived have continued to rob and steal and been heavily involved in drugs and weapons ever since. They came from my home town and when the news came out that they had been shot the attitude was one basically of 'good'.

Now this is not a view I share. I think Martin committed a crime by shooting them when they were running away but I also understand that the police and other authorities hold a lot of responsibility for what happened by failing to protect a vulnerable man who was clearly becoming mentally ill because of the repeated robberies.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,196

Pew Research
    Muslims are rising fastest & the unaffiliated shrinking as a share of the world’s population https://t.co/nWYmhlecFr https://t.co/ILF1mRfsGi

What are "Folk Religions"?
  • Options
    All aboard the Jezza train to electoral wilderness....
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    edited December 2015
    JohnLoony said:

Burglars forfeit any rights the moment they enter the premises.

Does that mean I'm allowed to murder them then?
    Can I murder them if I think they are a burglar, but they're actually not?
    Can I pretend that I think they're a burglar, even though I know they're not, and then murder them anyway?
    Can I lure my intended victim to my house on a pretext, then murder him, then pretend I thought he was a burglar?
    Is it OK if it's a stray child who has wandered into the house by accident? Is the death of an innocent child a price worth paying for my otherwise unconstrained blood-lust in being allowed to murder people?
    This is not complex.

1) you are entitled to protect your property
    2) you are entitled to protect yourself

Premeditated murder and infanticide are nothing to do with it.

You either have property rights or you don't.

If someone invades your property and is threatening you then you probably should kill them if you can.

That does not include shooting said burglar in the back as Martin did. That's just illegal, but mitigating circumstance is that the guy shouldn't have been there.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Pew Research

What are "Folk Religions"?
    People who worship Pete Seeger
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,953
    If Cameron can be persuaded to stay, and Corbyn remains in post, the long term prospects of the story party as the natural party of government are very good indeed.
  • Options

"Remain or Remain."

I'm freezing my nuts off, trying to chat up some pretty ladies and swing my pants to Rick Astley and tweet about a poll at the same time, I made a typo.
  • Options

"Remain or Remain."

I'm freezing my nuts off, trying to chat up some pretty ladies and swing my pants to Rick Astley and tweet about a poll at the same time, I made a typo.
    Impressive multitasking!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Mortimer said:

Is there any obvious reason why Cruz won't win the GOP nomination? Looks to have the mo outside of Trump; is he the new establishment candidate?

He's not an establishment candidate. If Trump wan't there he would be the crazy-red-meat-for-the-base candidate the establishment would be trying to bury.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

There are other issues, such as whether you have the right to use reasonable force to prevent people burgling your property, and what counts as reasonable when you are outnumbered by younger, stronger men. But as it happens Martin shot them while running away. While he undoubtedly did the world a favour, that does have to be illegal. However I think manslaughter was about right, in that a shotgun loaded with birdshot is not normally lethal when used on humans.

The problem with the Tony Martin case was twofold. Firstly he had been targeted many times before. So much so that he had developed an acute form of paranoia and had removed his own staircase so that burglers couldn't get upstairs when he was in the house at night. The police had recommended that as he was such a target in an isolated farmhouse the best thing he could do was move. That to me is a total abrogation of duty by the police.

The other problem is the burglers were already career criminals who had committed numerous crimes before hand and those who survived have continued to rob and steal and been heavily involved in drugs and weapons ever since. They came from my home town and when the news came out that they had been shot the attitude was one basically of 'good'.

Now this is not a view I share. I think Martin committed a crime by shooting them when they were running away but I also understand that the police and other authorities hold a lot of responsibility for what happened by failing to protect a vulnerable man who was clearly becoming mentally ill because of the repeated robberies.
    +1
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Mortimer said:

Is there any obvious reason why Cruz won't win the GOP nomination? Looks to have the mo outside of Trump; is he the new establishment candidate?

He's not an establishment candidate. If Trump wan't there he would be the crazy-red-meat-for-the-base candidate the establishment would be trying to bury.
    Irony is hard online isn't it.

Seriously, though, isn't he in danger of becoming the establishment candidate by virtue of not being Trump
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

"Remain or Remain."

At least the numbers were close, unlike last time in your message to OGH ;):D
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Tim_B said:

JohnLoony said:

Can I pretend that I think they're a burglar, even though I know they're not, and then murder them anyway?
    Can I lure my intended victim to my house on a pretext, then murder him, then pretend I thought he was a burglar?
    Is it OK if it's a stray child who has wandered into the house by accident? Is the death of an innocent child a price worth paying for my otherwise unconstrained blood-lust in being allowed to murder people?
    This is not complex.

If someone invades your property and is threatening you then you probably should kill them if you can.

That does not include shooting said burglar in the back as Martin did. That's just illegal, but mitigating circumstance is that the guy shouldn't have been there.
    Martin booby-trapped his property IIRC - taking out stair treads to make it harder for intruders to get away. In no way could that have been considered reasonable.

I think it is going far too far to suggest that 'you probably should kill (an intruder) if you can' - reasonable force to disable the intruder is only ever going to stretch to fatal action under the most extreme circumstances. And those will happen very, very rarely.

We should be very wary of extending self-defence of property/person to include causing death as a matter of course. The law as it stands is adequate to the task - even if it does produce some odd results from time to time.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

"Remain or Remain."

That's ok.

But when you start freezing out the ladies, swinging your nuts, and chatting up Rick Astley. Then you'll be in trouble.

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited December 2015
    Mortimer said:

Alistair said:

Mortimer said:

Irony is hard online isn't it.
    It is late an I am tired.

He's still not the establishment candidate though. The establishment are praying that Trump shows poorly in the early primaries and loses all momentum and disappears out of sight. at which point they deal with Cruz.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,905

I think Martin is hugely more sinned against than sinning.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884

"Remain or Remain."

Please tell me you havent used never gonna give you up in your chat up line.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Sean_F said:

Would anyone remember, care about or mourn poor Tony Martin if he'd become just another statistic?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,557
    edited December 2015

"Remain or Remain."

'Call me Rick Astley, because I'm Never Gonna Give You Up' is a chat up line I may have uttered a few years ago
  • Options

Tim_B said:

JohnLoony said:

This is not complex.

Martin booby-trapped his property IIRC - taking out stair treads to make it harder for intruders to get away. In no way could that have been considered reasonable.

I think it is going far too far to suggest that 'you probably should kill (an intruder) if you can' - reasonable force to disable the intruder is only ever going to stretch to fatal action under the most extreme circumstances. And those will happen very, very rarely.

We should be very wary of extending self-defence of property/person to include causing death as a matter of course. The law as it stands is adequate to the task - even if it does produce some odd results from time to time.
    If a burglar in my home approaches me with a weapon - knife or gun - I need to take decisive action to eliminate the risk. Shooting him in a limb or his chest may not drop him immediately and eliminate the threat. A head shot probably will.

If that is 'going too far' then so be it. It's what self-defence courses and gun handling courses teach.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Sean_F said:

Would anyone remember, care about or mourn poor Tony Martin if he'd become just another statistic?
    No. The attitude of the authorities was " fuck off."

If the authorities wilfully refuse to give people legal protection, why shouldn't they defend themselves?
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

JohnLoony said:

This is not complex.

If a burglar in my home approaches me with a weapon - knife or gun - I need to take decisive action to eliminate the risk. Shooting him in a limb or his chest may not drop him immediately and eliminate the threat. A head shot probably will.

If that is 'going too far' then so be it. It's what self-defence courses and gun handling courses teach.
    How about a taser?
  • Options

Tim_B said:

JohnLoony said:

This is not complex.

Martin's circumstances were that the police were uninterested in protecting him. What do you do when you really are on your own?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884

"Remain or Remain."

'Call me Rick Astley, because I'm Never Gonna Give You Up' is a chat up line I may have uttered a few years ago
    Feared as much.

Happy New Year
  • Options

"Remain or Remain."

Feared as much.

Happy New Year
    And to you and the Owls clan.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    RobD said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

JohnLoony said:

This is not complex.

How about a taser?
    Consumer grade stun guns are problematic depending on clothing etc and you have to stick the prongs into the guy close up. That doesn't solve the problem.

I don't think tasers are available to the public. I know police officers have to be tasered before they can carry one.

A bullet is a safe and sure option.

If stunned he'll get up at some point - with a bullet he won't
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Sky newS

Imminent threat to Munich train stations . Trains not stopping people cleared out of area
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Sky newS

Imminent threat to Munich train stations . Trains not stopping people cleared out of area

Munich police are saying there are indications of imminent threat to trains in the Pasing area of Munich
    Trains are now stopped and services no longer running.
    Sky news.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

JohnLoony said:

This is not complex.

How about a taser?
    Consumer grade stun guns are problematic depending on clothing etc and you have to stick the prongs into the guy close up. That doesn't solve the problem.

I don't think tasers are available to the public. I know police officers have to be tasered before they can carry one.

I believe tasers are available, at least thats what a quick google search led me to believe.
  • Options
    Boldog új évet kívánok, pb.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941
    Happy new year PB! Pleased I didn't pay a grand for a suite in the Address overlooking the fireworks in Dubai! There will be a lot of pissed off people here tonight, thankfully I'm not one of them, home now so raise a glass to those who had their celebrations screwed up!
  • Options
    RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

JohnLoony said:

snip
    This is not complex.

How about a taser?

I believe tasers are available, at least thats what a quick google search led me to believe.
    Assuming they are, it doesn't eliminate the problem. If you taser someone it only immobilizes them for a while. A head shot lasts longer.

If you are being threatened by a man with a weapon you need to eliminate the threat long term, not just for a few minutes.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

JohnLoony said:

snip
    This is not complex.

How about a taser?

Assuming they are, it doesn't eliminate the problem. If you taser someone it only immobilizes them for a while. A head shot lasts longer.

If you are being threatened by a man with a weapon you need to eliminate the threat long term, not just for a few minutes.
    Well, you can take the weapon away from them for a start, and call the cops, and leave the vicinity.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited December 2015
    Happy New Year! I am off to bed. I don't think I have made it to midnight in around five years now...
  • Options
    Munich newspaper TZ reported that police believed several groups of attackers could strike at different locations in the city.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

JohnLoony said:

snip
    This is not complex.

How about a taser?

Well, you can take the weapon away from them for a start, and call the cops, and leave the vicinity.
    Why should I leave my home?

In what possible way is it in my interest to use a taser instead of a gun?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    "The law as it stands is adequate to the task ..."

It is indeed, From memory, the relevant bit of law is Section 3 of the Criminal Law Act which says (paraphrasing) "Any person may use such force as is reasonable in the circumstances to prevent a crime or affect lawful arrest". It is the same law that the plod rely on when gunning down gangsters in the street, or someone walking down the road carrying a chair leg in a bag, or, in a Sussex case, shooting a naked, unarmed, man getting out of bed. How many coppers have been convicted of any offence involving their use of firearms?

If Martin had kept his mouth shut when interviewed by the police and had a better lawyer he would never have been convicted.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Because that eliminates the risk you described previously? Possessions can be replaced, unlike someones life (no matter how much of a low life they are).

I was suggesting a non-lethal approach, as you seem to think only a headshot would do.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676

Munich newspaper TZ reported that police believed several groups of attackers could strike at different locations in the city.

Baader-Meinhof?
  • Options

Baader-Meinhof?
    Don't be silly Mr. Rentool, the Bader-Meinhof group are long defunct. I expect the German plod were worried about militant methodists or perhaps, given the location, the Calvinist Liberation Front..
  • Options
    RobD said:

Tim_B said:

Because that eliminates the risk you described previously? Possessions can be replaced, unlike someones life (no matter how much of a low life they are).

I was suggesting a non-lethal approach, as you seem to think only a headshot would do.
    I am generally in favor of non-lethal, but not if someone attacks me with a weapon in my own home. Eliminate the threat.
  • Options

Baader-Meinhof?
    Don't be silly Mr. Rentool, the Bader-Meinhof group are long defunct. I expect the German plod were worried about militant methodists or perhaps, given the location, the Calvinist Liberation Front..
    sounds more like the German railway trade unions.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

I am generally in favor of non-lethal, but not if someone attacks me with a weapon in my own home. Eliminate the threat.
    Yes, and my point is there may be alternatives than just going immediately for a headshot.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    May I wish all PBers a happy, safe and prosperous 2016.

I will sign off for 2015 with the most popular story from The Northern Echo...

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/14174245.Father_of_two_stripped_naked_and_urinated_on_loaves_of_bread_in_Co_op/?ref=mr&lp=1
  • Options
    RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

Yes, and my point is there may be alternatives than just going immediately for a headshot.
    There may well be Mr. D., personally if a householder has a steady enough aim in a moment of supposed extreme stress to go for a head-shot then I would suggest that is de facto evidence he/she was not that panicked by the burglar/intruder/criminal. Two shots to the centre of the mass (less likely to miss) to put the bugger down (who cares if he lives or dies as long as he is no longer a threat) was always the pistol training in my day and I don't suppose it has changed (save for guidance on suicide bombers but that is rather a different cauldron of octopus).
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

Tim_B said:

JohnLoony said:

This is not complex.

Garbage, if some scumbag enters your house univited to burgle and assault you they should be going out feet first , with lots of wounds, no excuses.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

Yes a lingering one to the bollocks
  • Options
    Having recently finished watching the latest season of Homeland, the Munich alert sounds very familiar.

Let us hope it all comes to nothing.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Tim_B said:

JohnLoony said:

This is not complex.

Garbage, if some scumbag enters your house univited to burgle and assault you they should be going out feet first , with lots of wounds, no excuses.
    Wait a minute, isn't that what the English are doing in Scotland.. stealing all the oil revenues and all that..... :D
  • Options
    Bryan Adams blasting out the theme tune to Robin Hood on BBC1 and Tom Jones on BBC2, have I stepped into some time warp...
  • Options
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

Tim_B said:

JohnLoony said:

This is not complex.

Wait a minute, isn't that what the English are doing in Scotland.. stealing all the oil revenues and all that..... :D
    Rob you buggers have been at it for 300 years
  • Options
    Anita Williams Jazz singer performing in the hotel as the fires started says she was amazed at the emergency response in Dubai saying it was brilliant and she had never seen so many emergency vehicles.
    BBC news

Good on Dubai.....
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Tim_B said:

JohnLoony said:

This is not complex.

Keep up with that attitude and a long stretch awaits you. You do not have an automatic right to kill a burglar - reasonable force does not automatically give you the right to kill. And that is how it should remain.
  • Options

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

There may well be Mr. D., personally if a householder has a steady enough aim in a moment of supposed extreme stress to go for a head-shot then I would suggest that is de facto evidence he/she was not that panicked by the burglar/intruder/criminal. Two shots to the centre of the mass (less likely to miss) to put the bugger down (who cares if he lives or dies as long as he is no longer a threat) was always the pistol training in my day and I don't suppose it has changed (save for guidance on suicide bombers but that is rather a different cauldron of octopus).
    Training is still the same. Drop him and eliminate the threat- head shot. A couple if possible.

Speaking of possible death, my sister in law will be spending a night at the Brighton hospital in a couple of weeks. It's the sort of condition my wife started to explain but I stopped her.
  • Options
    edited January 2016

malcolmg said:

Tim_B said:

JohnLoony said:

This is not complex.

Keep up with that attitude and a long stretch awaits you. You do not have an automatic right to kill a burglar - reasonable force does not automatically give you the right to kill. And that is how it should remain.
    Not in the USA. If a burglar has a weapon you can do what you have to to protect yourself and your property. If he doesn't it's a bit more limited.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Tim_B said:

JohnLoony said:

This is not complex.

wishy washy liberal claptrap, the ar****ole has no right to be there and deserves all they get. I hope not to be tested but I will not be making them a cup of tea if they pay a visit.
  • Options
    Happy New Year everyone!
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Tim_B said:

JohnLoony said:

This is not complex.

wishy washy liberal claptrap, the ar****ole has no right to be there and deserves all they get. I hope not to be tested but I will not be making them a cup of tea if they pay a visit.
    It hardly surprises me that a man such as you espouses such violent views.

Burglars do not have a right to burgle. But you sure as hell do not have the right to kill them if they enter your property.
  • Options

Happy New Year everyone!

Seconded! Still 4pm here ;)
  • Options
    Happy New Year to one and all
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

malcolmg said:

Tim_B said:

JohnLoony said:

This is not complex.

Not in the USA.
    Thankfully I am not in the USA.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Happy New Year everyone!

Seconded! Still 4pm here ;)
    Thirded - just after 7pm here.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016
    malcolmg said:

Tim_B said:

JohnLoony said:

This is not complex.

Certainly if the police were doing nothing to help, then taking out stair treads doesn't in any way seem unreasonable. Certainly if you are outnumbered or the burglar has a weapon then lethal force seems reasonable. After all the burglar made an apparently rational decision to commit the crime, they should be prepared to accept the consequences.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    It shouldn't be the case that one can gore to death a 15-year old who is trespassing on one's property with the reasonably-believed intent to rob a hundred pounds.
  • Options
    Happy new year to all !!!

Ahhhhh.....2015 I remember you like it was yesterday ....
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    Hahaha, they're going to lose the next election and more and more people are realising.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited January 2016
    I think Bill Cosby wants to get a new lawyer. Just seen the interview with her and she did a great job of doing the interviewers job for him, by getting agitated at the questioning resulting in her listing the massive number of allegations against Cosby.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

malcolmg said:

Tim_B said:

JohnLoony said:

This is not complex.

Not in the USA.
    I always remember a sign I saw hung in a bar just outside a place called Fourchon in Louisiana. ( terrible place by the way) It said

Thieves will be shot.... Survivors will be shot again.

Thing is down there they actually mean it

• Options
    Very impressed with London's display. Think it beat Sydney this year. A very Happy New Year to everyone on PB of all political affiliations and may the quality of debate continue in 2016 though with a little less unnecessary language
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Tim_B said:

malcolmg said:

Tim_B said:

JohnLoony said:

allowed to murder people?
    This is not complex.

Not in the USA.
    I always remember a sign I saw hung in a bar just outside a place called Fourchon in Louisiana. ( terrible place by the way) It said

Is it any wonder that Louisiana has the highest murder rate of any of the states (as of the 2012 figures)?
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Tim_B said:

malcolmg said:

Tim_B said:

JohnLoony said:

This is not complex.

Not in the USA.

Yes we do. ;)
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,359
    tlg86 said:

Funnily enough some tw*t(s) broke into my sister's house last night. They took hardly anything - we think they may have heard someone get up or something - but God help anyone who is caught by my sister.

A man broke into my cousin's flat some years ago carrying a knife. She lucidly set out the arguments why it'd be a bad idea to do whatever he had in mind. He scratched his head, pondered a bit, and left. All very British.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    I have a number of very sharp instruments and a gun in my house waiting for any burglar who wants to test my nerve and the weapons efficiency..
  • Options
    edited January 2016
This discussion has been closed.