Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New analysis finds current LAB voters reluctant to give Cor

Comments

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    justin124 said:

How much impact will the perception of an Honours List verging on the corrupt have on polls?

None. No one cares.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

How much impact will the perception of an Honours List verging on the corrupt have on polls?

Wot - Barbara Windsor? Your perception is addled.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    MP_SE said:

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

On another note, I have been advised by one of my nubile Thai servants that tyson accused me of being a "narcissistic prick" for debating the virtues of Eva Air Biz Class.

I plead Guilty.

Prior to sentencing, and in mitigation, I only wonder if this is the same tyson who told us he was a helpless millionaire, bored of horribly white north Oxford, which was why he was moving to his second home in Tuscany?

Nothing wrong with the poor man's business class. It has seats like any other plane. I have to admit I haven't flown Eva. My flights to Taiwan has always been with Dragon, an excellent airline.

Tyson is a good chap. I don't think he votes Tory but like many he is not too fond of Corbyn.
    Eva Air Biz used to be incredibly cheap, about £1200 return, London-Bangkok - not much more than BA Premium Economy.

Now it has doubled, but now you get your own podules, it's as good as First in many other airlines.

Also the flight times are nice - an ideal 9pm night flight from Heathrow T3, a tolerable midday return from BKK.

I do wonder how they get such good slots from Heathrow - better than BA, or anyone else.
    What is BA first class like for long haul flights? I have a bunch of airmiles to use and have been eyeing up a trip to Washington.
    I have only travelled first class twice, once on BA. OK , it is more luxurious than business but at 50% extra ? I am not sure.

The comforts [ like flat bed ] are similar more or less.
  • Options

Pong said:

Lol @ Lynton Crosby.

Must be a contender for the most dishonourable honour ever.

Quite high risk, too.

Crosby's understanding of the public has been shown by events to be massively in excess of anything the pollsters managed. For that insight alone, from which others can learn, the honour is deserved. He is a market leader in his field by a mile: in any other industry there'd have been no criticism.

Besides, far better for the state to reward political service with cheap gongs than with real power or money.
    Mr Herdson you one of my favourite article writers on here but that is utter tosh, knighting somebody for masterminding an election victory is disgraceful, if Blair had knighted Alistair Campbell you would have been apoplectic. I'm afraid even the more rational Tories are embarrassing themselves here.

Blair ennobled Philip Gould, Lady Thatcher ennobled Tim Bell, Maurice Saatchi got a peerage too.

PMs give honours to those that help them win elections.

If anything Crosby should be pissed off he only got a Knighthood.

At minimum he should have become a Royal Duke, Lynton Crosby, Duke of Sheffield would have been appropriate
    Remember it is not just Crosby who got a political knighthood. Ed Davey was knighted for services to the country for his part in destroying the Liberal Democrats. A well deserved award for great service rendered.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    edited December 2015
    He's daydreaming about me in a threesome with Ann Coulter and Melanie Philips. Katie Hopkins as stand in.
    SeanT said:

MP_SE said:

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

On another note, I have been advised by one of my nubile Thai servants that tyson accused me of being a "narcissistic prick" for debating the virtues of Eva Air Biz Class.

I plead Guilty.

Prior to sentencing, and in mitigation, I only wonder if this is the same tyson who told us he was a helpless millionaire, bored of horribly white north Oxford, which was why he was moving to his second home in Tuscany?

Nothing wrong with the poor man's business class. It has seats like any other plane. I have to admit I haven't flown Eva. My flights to Taiwan has always been with Dragon, an excellent airline.

Tyson is a good chap. I don't think he votes Tory but like many he is not too fond of Corbyn.
    Eva Air Biz used to be incredibly cheap, about £1200 return, London-Bangkok - not much more than BA Premium Economy.

Now it has doubled, but now you get your own podules, it's as good as First in many other airlines.

Also the flight times are nice - an ideal 9pm night flight from Heathrow T3, a tolerable midday return from BKK.

I do wonder how they get such good slots from Heathrow - better than BA, or anyone else.
    What is BA first class like for long haul flights? I have a bunch of airmiles to use and have been eyeing up a trip to Washington.
    I haven't done BA First for decades (I hear it is very good these days). In fact, the last time I did BA First was, probably the inaugural Concorde flight to Barbados.

True story.

Where's tyson?
  • Options
    taffys said:

''What is BA first class like for long haul flights? I have a bunch of airmiles to use and have been eyeing up a trip to Washington. ''

Went to Barbados and back BA 1st earlier this year.

Roomy, civilised, yes. Opulent, special?? no. And VERY sparing with the booze.

That's weird, I fly BA a lot and I've never found them to skimp on the booze, literally never. I've ended up with mini wine bottles in my hand luggage more often than not.
  • Options
    Mr. Wanderer, sand/water. Boiling oil's a nice idea, but damned expensive.

Mr. Tyndall, the Davey knighthood is far more shocking.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

FPT:

Tim_B said:

That price is amazing. I just checked the price of a train ticket from Atlanta to New York City, a distance of almost 900 miles.

The cheapest seat is $124.95. A flexible ticket is $239.70. The most expensive option - A viewliner roomette (bunk to you and me) is $302.95.

So from $125 to $300 on a 900 mile trip, vs $750 for a 200 mile trip to Euston.

That is stunning.

That is...the magic of the marketplace in action.
    Basically, there is no competition in the UK Rail network. It is a licence to print money.
    These fares are after receiving government subsidy.
    Rail subsidies have fallen 40% in 5 years (FT).
  • Options
    SeanT said:

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

I plead Guilty.

BA normally prefers to land early in the morning. But, of course, trans Atlantic is different as there are so many flights.

In general, any Asian airline provides a far better service than western airlines. I remember flying Asiana from Seoul to Shanghai and I was the only biz class passenger. The stewardess actually sat on the carpet, legs folded, her face no more than a foot away from me and was explaining the lunch menu to me.

For a moment I thought there were other services available.
    Asian standards of customer service are in general much better than the West. It's related to their cultures of hierarchy and caste and generalised grovelling (which are less appealing, in so many ways).

Their luxury hotels better for the very same reason. I did the Oberois in India this year. Oh my word.
    Lots of Oberoi trained staff are in British hotels now.
    I'm not surprised. The service is incredible. I've only seen its equal in the very best hotels in the Maldives. Even the top hotels in Bangkok or Hong Kong don't compare.
    A political point. I know you are a wavering EU in/out voter. These jobs could easily be done by Brits. So why do they come from India ? Recently, even in a 3 star hotel in Clondalkin, Dublin, the entire management staff was from India.

Do Brits cost too much ? And, the hotel market will not pay that salary given the cost competitiveness ? Or, would the Brits not do the job ? At this rate, we will run out of jobs to do.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,004

He's daydreaming about me in a threesome with Ann Coulter and Melanie Philips. Katie Hopkins as stand in.

SeanT said:

MP_SE said:

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

I plead Guilty.

I haven't done BA First for decades (I hear it is very good these days). In fact, the last time I did BA First was, probably the inaugural Concorde flight to Barbados.

True story.

Where's tyson?
    Do you daydream about that?
  • Options

Pong said:

Lol @ Lynton Crosby.

Quite high risk, too.

Crosby's understanding of the public has been shown by events to be massively in excess of anything the pollsters managed. For that insight alone, from which others can learn, the honour is deserved. He is a market leader in his field by a mile: in any other industry there'd have been no criticism.

Besides, far better for the state to reward political service with cheap gongs than with real power or money.
    Mr Herdson you one of my favourite article writers on here but that is utter tosh, knighting somebody for masterminding an election victory is disgraceful, if Blair had knighted Alistair Campbell you would have been apoplectic. I'm afraid even the more rational Tories are embarrassing themselves here.

Blair ennobled Philip Gould, Lady Thatcher ennobled Tim Bell, Maurice Saatchi got a peerage too.

At minimum he should have become a Royal Duke, Lynton Crosby, Duke of Sheffield would have been appropriate
    Remember it is not just Crosby who got a political knighthood. Ed Davey was knighted for services to the country for his part in destroying the Liberal Democrats. A well deserved award for great service rendered.
    And our power generation capacity!
  • Options

Pong said:

Lol @ Lynton Crosby.

Quite high risk, too.

Actually, I made precisely the opposite point on Twitter:

David Herdson ‏@DavidHerdson · 3h3 hours ago
    Lynton Crosby's is the market leader in his field by a mile: in any other industry there'd have been no criticism. #NewYearHonours #Crosby

jeremy ward ‏@jezward7  · 3h3 hours ago
    @DavidHerdson so why wasn't @campbellclaret knighted (3-1)?

David Herdson ‏@DavidHerdson · 3 hrs3 hours ago
    @jezward7 @campbellclaret No particular reason. Plenty of other Blair insiders got gongs. I'd have had no quibble had he received a K.
  • Options
    Sources within the BBC said the sites were offline thanks to what is known as a "distributed denial of service" attack.
    An earlier statement tweeted by the BBC laid the blame for problems on a "technical issue".
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35204915?ocid=socialflow_twitter
  • Options

surbiton said:

FPT:

Tim_B said:

That price is amazing. I just checked the price of a train ticket from Atlanta to New York City, a distance of almost 900 miles.

The cheapest seat is $124.95. A flexible ticket is $239.70. The most expensive option - A viewliner roomette (bunk to you and me) is $302.95.

That is stunning.

Basically, there is no competition in the UK Rail network. It is a licence to print money.
    It is still a licence to print money - like the Duty Free's. If you book ahead, air fare is cheaper.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

MP_SE said:

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

I plead Guilty.

True story.

Where's tyson?
    Doesn't everyone?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Re Lynton. This is just yet another example of the Two Minute Hate that Labour use against any perceived enemy. The use of someone's name as a byword for some evil. Thatcher Milk Snatcher, Ashcroft's Millions, Murdoch Press et al. Now it's Crosby as a catch all for dark arts.

Listen to almost any Labour politician and you'll hear a variation of this. Ed Balls did it all the time. Framing a name as an insult or accusation.

Very true. And also note how utterly useless the tactic has become, as it becomes associated with the tedious, the repetitive and the mad.

If you read someone banging on about "the Murdoch Press" you nod politely then move quickly on, the same way you would discreetly avoid someone muttering about "the Illuminati" on the top deck of the bus.

That's what Corbynism is, really, an entire political party feverishly whispering to itself, while wearing stained trousers, and sitting on the top floor of the 253 to Stoke Newington.
    As if Labour donors and apparatchiks never got honours. LibDems too.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,030
    edited December 2015

SeanT said:

Re Lynton. This is just yet another example of the Two Minute Hate that Labour use against any perceived enemy. The use of someone's name as a byword for some evil. Thatcher Milk Snatcher, Ashcroft's Millions, Murdoch Press et al. Now it's Crosby as a catch all for dark arts.

Listen to almost any Labour politician and you'll hear a variation of this. Ed Balls did it all the time. Framing a name as an insult or accusation.

Very true. And also note how utterly useless the tactic has become, as it becomes associated with the tedious, the repetitive and the mad.

If you read someone banging on about "the Murdoch Press" you nod politely then move quickly on, the same way you would discreetly avoid someone muttering about "the Illuminati" on the top deck of the bus.

That's what Corbynism is, really, an entire political party feverishly whispering to itself, while wearing stained trousers, and sitting on the top floor of the 253 to Stoke Newington.
    As if Labour donors and apparatchiks never got honours. LibDems too.
    Indeed. Worth pointing out that two of the (Labour) architects of Labour's defeat in May also got honours. I know he probably didn't choose them but you do get the idea Cameron is having a really good laugh over these honours.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Well he posted exactly that here a week or so ago.

And no. Olivia Wilde is another matter.
    Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

MP_SE said:

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

I plead Guilty.

True story.

Where's tyson?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,004
    SeanT said:

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

I plead Guilty.

BA normally prefers to land early in the morning. But, of course, trans Atlantic is different as there are so many flights.

In general, any Asian airline provides a far better service than western airlines. I remember flying Asiana from Seoul to Shanghai and I was the only biz class passenger. The stewardess actually sat on the carpet, legs folded, her face no more than a foot away from me and was explaining the lunch menu to me.

Asian standards of customer service are in general much better than the West. It's related to their cultures of hierarchy and caste and generalised grovelling (which are less appealing, in so many ways).

Their luxury hotels are better for the very same reason. I did the Oberois in India this year. Oh my word.
    I like attentive service, but I find grovelling offensive.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited December 2015
    Are you sure you were in First? Seriously?

Absolutely. Front seat of the aircraft. As much champers and wine in the airport lounge as you want, but on the plane, no so much.

I wonder if they've have a few bad experiences with people really caning it. I'm sure could have had more if I'd wanted, but I would have had to ask. Definitely not coming round every ten minutes with top ups.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pong said:

Lol @ Lynton Crosby.

Quite high risk, too.

And our power generation capacity!
    Yes unfortunately. One decision we are still to see the full terrible effects of.
  • Options

Pong said:

Lol @ Lynton Crosby.

Quite high risk, too.

At least, this time I did not vote for him for sleeping with the enemy. However, he did a lot for renewables. So good on him.

BTW, I do not support gongs for anybody including Labour Party hacks. The moment you give a gong, immediately discrimination opens up because many equally or more worthy people are not awarded.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    @david_herdson Good to see you on Twitter at last after a long break
  • Options
    surbiton said:

FPT:

Tim_B said:

That is stunning.

That's nonsense: there's plenty of competition, whether from domestic airlines or the car or coach (depending on the market).

There have been times when I've driven in preference to taking the train because of the price. On the other hand, if you have time to book in advance, know when and where you're going or have some flexibility, prices can be very cheap. As often, getting the best deal involves some research.

But overall, passenger numbers have gone through the roof since privatisation, after decades of decline, so the companies must be doing something right.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    justin124 said:

As the public view of the honours system is so jaundiced, none. It is entirely expected that those close to the PM, as aides or as donors, get gongs.

Wait until the honours when Cameron leaves office. I expect nothing less than a Royal Pardon for Andy Coulson in them!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

taffys said:

''What is BA first class like for long haul flights? I have a bunch of airmiles to use and have been eyeing up a trip to Washington. ''

Went to Barbados and back BA 1st earlier this year.

Roomy, civilised, yes. Opulent, special?? no. And VERY sparing with the booze.

t the whole point of First is that you can basically poison yourself with champagne and fine claret, if you want - it never stops.
    I recall struggling to keep a straight face and pretending to pause for a moment of reflection when asked in SQ First whether I'd prefer the Dom or the Krug?

Once a BA First Purser was disarmingly frank - 'Come on you lot! Drink up! The more you drink, the more you'll sleep, the less work for us!"

Then there were the matronly BA Stewardesses who when asked for a G&T retorted with 'a large one, two tonics?'

That all changed.

"I'll have a large G&T please'

'These are large ones'

"Well, I'll have two then....."
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,061
    justin124 said:

It's always been seen as corrupt to hear more venerable posters tell it. Not saying it couldn't finally have an effect on polls, but why would it happen now?
  • Options
    ''Do Brits cost too much ? And, the hotel market will not pay that salary given the cost competitiveness ? Or, would the Brits not do the job ? At this rate, we will run out of jobs to do.''

I stayed in a boutiquey place in Hastings recently. Hotel owner said the Lithuanians and Poles literally knock on the door to ask if there's work going. One thought 'vacancies' meant job vacancies. Now she runs his cleaning operation.

Locals? never.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Pong said:

Lol @ Lynton Crosby.

Quite high risk, too.

At least, this time I did not vote for him for sleeping with the enemy. However, he did a lot for renewables. So good on him.

BTW, I do not support gongs for anybody including Labour Party hacks. The moment you give a gong, immediately discrimination opens up because many equally or more worthy people are not awarded.
    If by 'he did a lot for renewables' you mean he has help[ed make our energy supply a lot less secure then you are right.
  • Options
    Ouch

New York Daily News' Cosby front page is pretty smart/strong. https://t.co/qOu3mmTGu5
  • Options
    Mr. T, on a wider scale, this is one of the things that did for the Romans. Luxury dissolved their martial virtue. When the Crisis of the Third Century was ended, it was Danubian emperor-generals who did it, not men actually born and bred in Rome.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

On another note, I have been advised by one of my nubile Thai servants that tyson accused me of ome in Tuscany?

Their luxury hotels are better for the very same reason. I did the Oberois in India this year. Oh my word.
    I know what you mean. What's worse is when you find yourself getting used to it - expecting it. There have been a few occasions in the last couple of years when I've noted a tone of voice, coming out of my mouth, a kind of pompous sense of entitlement. WHERE'S MY BLOODY BUTLER, etc etc

Odious. I have to check myself and remind myself that 1. I'm just a hack, and 2. I'm just very lucky, and 3. ugh.

On the upside it has given me an insight into how the elite sociopolitical classes in London - from BBC bigwigs to top civil servants - have become so obnoxious. They fly First all the time, see nothing but grovelling, in the end it must rot the soul - you start demanding a bloody butler everywhere you go, simply because of who you are.

Dorchester etc. has always had the grovelling element. Why blame the Asians ? Have you seen what hotel staff are up to with Arab Shiekhs ? And, they are white British.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Wanderer said:

Wanderer said:

Pong said:

Lol @ Lynton Crosby.

Quite high risk, too.

It's quite usual.

I wouldn't see anything out of the way in knighting Campbell either. I think you're projecting with the "apoplectic".

The honours system itself may need reform or abolition but as things stand this is business as usual for it.
    Mr wanderer, it is for precisely the reason you state ie business as usual, that it needs ending. Cameron had an opportunity to silence his critics, once again he gave us an opportunity to point fingers and compare him with previous self serving fools. I'm disappointed that respected commentators such as Mr Herdson are applauding this award.

Oh, sure, there's a good case for ending the whole system. I wouldn't really expect a Tory Government to do that though.

And I can't really get worked up about these things. It's more comedy than anything.
    If Cameron fed the 5000, some would condemn him for putting fishermen and bakers out of work!

Gongs are a fairly harmless way of rewarding cronies. Far better than making them peers to lord it over us in perpetuity.

There are even some in the list who deserve it, such as Prof Melanie Davies now CBE, who has come a long way from modest beginnings to become one of the top diabetes researchers in the world, and also an excellent colleague of mine in Leicester.

http://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/press/press-releases/2015/december/professor-of-diabetes-medicine-awarded-cbe

I'm 50 and I can't remember a time when there hasn't been frothing over the honours list. I remember my parents, when I was a child, laughing about this
    http://ebid.s3.amazonaws.com/upload_medbig/9/9/3/1346627447-3351-30.jpg
    ''I've been living here over 50 years and I cannot remember a flood of new years honours froth as high as it is now!''
  • Options

Ouch

New York Daily News' Cosby front page is pretty smart/strong. https://t.co/qOu3mmTGu5

They did a great one after the most recent gun rampage - quoting all the GOP candidate 'our prayers are with...' responses .....GOD ISN'T FIXING THIS
  • Options

surbiton said:

Pong said:

Lol @ Lynton Crosby.

Quite high risk, too.

If by 'he did a lot for renewables' you mean he has help[ed make our energy supply a lot less secure then you are right.
    By that if you mean that he did not sell our future energy supply to the Chinese at double the market price, then you are correct !
  • Options
    "Well, I'll have two then....."

The BA first purser who took care of us said he rotated through all classes, it must be difficult to adjust sometimes.

The emphasis seemed to be on keeping the cabin 'civilised' - which it was.

• Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    I suppose Barbara Windsor deserves her honour on account of her links to the criminal fraternity - and the Kray brothers in particular.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,309
    edited December 2015
    SeanT said:

we are culturally more individualistic, rebellious, bolshy.

Cultural characteristics that BBC royal correspondents (among others) seem to overcome with ease.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

Wanderer said:

Wanderer said:

Wanderer said:

Pong said:

Lol @ Lynton Crosby.

Quite high risk, too.

It's quite usual.

I wouldn't see anything out of the way in knighting Campbell either. I think you're projecting with the "apoplectic".

The honours system itself may need reform or abolition but as things stand this is business as usual for it.
    Mr wanderer, it is for precisely the reason you state ie business as usual, that it needs ending. Cameron had an opportunity to silence his critics, once again he gave us an opportunity to point fingers and compare him with previous self serving fools. I'm disappointed that respected commentators such as Mr Herdson are applauding this award.

Oh, sure, there's a good case for ending the whole system. I wouldn't really expect a Tory Government to do that though.

And I can't really get worked up about these things. It's more comedy than anything.
    If Cameron fed the 5000, some would condemn him for putting fishermen and bakers out of work!

Gongs are a fairly harmless way of rewarding cronies. Far better than making them peers to lord it over us in perpetuity.

There are even some in the list who deserve it, such as Prof Melanie Davies now CBE, who has come a long way from modest beginnings to become one of the top diabetes researchers in the world, and also an excellent colleague of mine in Leicester.

http://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/press/press-releases/2015/december/professor-of-diabetes-medicine-awarded-cbe

I'm 50 and I can't remember a time when there hasn't been frothing over the honours list. I remember my parents, when I was a child, laughing about this
    http://ebid.s3.amazonaws.com/upload_medbig/9/9/3/1346627447-3351-30.jpg
    ''I've been living here over 50 years and I cannot remember a flood of new years honours froth as high as it is now!''
    It's hard to remember exact froth levels but it does feel like listening to the same tape every year.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

FPT:

Tim_B said:

That is stunning.

It is still a licence to print money - like the Duty Free's. If you book ahead, air fare is cheaper.
    Cheaper than £15 one way?
  • Options
    The need to heal or at least quiet Labour divisions has been raised, and if the oft maligned by Corbynistas (for good reason, as they are its chief target thesedays) Labour Uncut is any indication today, the answer is obvious and historical - rant about Thatcher's evil.

Yes, it wins no new voters who don't already hate her government, but it's in the news with this Letwin business, and it's something most wings of Labour would not have a problem endorsing the general sentiment of at least.

The difficulty will be turning every issue into a discussion on Thatcher, but to avoid further division, it will need to be done.

http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2015/12/31/thatchers-rotten-government-was-only-interested-in-discord-and-division/
  • Options
    taffys said:

''Do Brits cost too much ? And, the hotel market will not pay that salary given the cost competitiveness ? Or, would the Brits not do the job ? At this rate, we will run out of jobs to do.''

I stayed in a boutiquey place in Hastings recently. Hotel owner said the Lithuanians and Poles literally knock on the door to ask if there's work going. One thought 'vacancies' meant job vacancies. Now she runs his cleaning operation.

Locals? never.

And, there are people who will blame these people for taking our jobs. What we mean by "our jobs" is "our jobs at a certain price, otherwise I will not do it".

It started with office cleaning 50 years ago. Even bus drivers have to be brought in ? What's wrong with driving buses ?
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    ''Odd. And maybe you are right, perhaps that route has become too much of of a partyzone, even for the plutocrats, so they are judicious.''

It's funny how in coach behaviour is as much policed by other passengers as the staff. Obnoxious passengers get dirty looks etc.

There are far fewer barriers in First. Imagine some minor rock star/celeb/wealthy scrap merchant type off their t8ts in first on a jolly to Barbados. Nightmare for the other passengers, all of whom have paid the three grand.

I reckon there have been a some very bad experiences. Its not like these are CEOs who have to work when they arrive.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Pong said:

Lol @ Lynton Crosby.

Quite high risk, too.

By that if you mean that he did not sell our future energy supply to the Chinese at double the market price, then you are correct !
    Nope I mean making sure we do not have enough capacity to meet our needs. Thanks Ed.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Cultural characteristics that BBC royal correspondents (among others) seem to overcome with ease.
    They're not alone:

Nicola Sturgeon faced a barrage of criticism from angry Scottish nationalists today after welcoming the 'Queen of Scotland' to Edinburgh.

The Scottish First Minister thanked Her Majesty for 'years of dedicated service' and joined in a rendition of God Save the Queen.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3227930/Now-STURGEON-trolled-cybernats-Angry-nationalists-slam-Scotland-s-Minister-welcoming-foreign-Queen.html
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    SeanT said:

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

On another note, I have been advised by one of my nubile Thai servants that tyson accused me of ome in Tuscany?

I

Dorchester etc. has always had the grovelling element. Why blame the Asians ? Have you seen what hotel staff are up to with Arab Shiekhs ? And, they are white British.
    At what point did I ever "blame Asians"??

I didn't. I wasn't even apportioning blame.

I merely observed - correctly - that Asian societies are culturally more formal and hierarchical, from India to Japan, so Asians probably make better hotel staff - if what you want from your staff is lots of elegant, unselfconscious bowing and scraping. And with luxury hotels that is exactly what you want.

That said, the best hotel managers seem to be Germans and Swiss (across the world), and the best concierges and maitre d's are British, or sometimes French.

This comment was brought to you by Stereotypes Inc.
    I was not you. It was the kipper Sean who wrote that he found grovelling repulsive. And, I said Dorchester etc. always did it. Now others are getting the same treatment for less.
  • Options
    If I was a conscientious council worker, or a brilliant ambulance driver or a courageous soldier I would want my "honour" to be part of the same system that demonstrated its prestige by awarding friends of the powerful, the rich and famous and scheming/ conniving politicians. Otherwise the awards would be boring and ignored and be little more regarded than glazing salesman of the year (North eastern region).
  • Options

justin124 said:

As the public view of the honours system is so jaundiced, none. It is entirely expected that those close to the PM, as aides or as donors, get gongs.

Wait until the honours when Cameron leaves office. I expect nothing less than a Royal Pardon for Andy Coulson in them!
    Who did Attlee , Churchill, Eden and Macmillan honour in this way?
  • Options
    This feels like a trap, and he fell in

Sky
    General Secretary of the Labour party has suspended Simon Danczuk's membership after allegations he sent text messages to a 17-year-old girl
  • Options
    Looks like the member for Rochdale is on the naughty step.
  • Options
    Danczuk suspended
  • Options
    @BBCBreaking · 1m1 minute ago
    Labour MP Simon Danczuk suspended from party over UK newspaper allegations about his private life http://bbc.in/1NU3PiV

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,079
    MaxPB said:

Hate to give out free advice, but re supply shortages surely better to look at foundry side supply shortages for processors/SoCs. The 14nm process at Samsung and GF are both heavily supply limited and TSMC's 16nm output is a joke, though the latter seems to be better engineered than the former two so demand is higher. Also, Samsung's 14nm is not like Intel 14nm, only the gates are really 14nm for Samsung (which is why their 14nm chips consume more power than TSMC's 16nm chips).

As for Flash and RAM, we subscribe to Trend Force (I think that's the name) which gives a decent overview of spot prices and futures for RAM and flash.

It is Trend Force, yes.

And I'll take all the advice you're giving! Thanks
  • Options
    Labour MP Simon Danczuk suspended from party over UK newspaper allegations about his private life

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-35204398
  • Options
    justin124 said:

I suppose Barbara Windsor deserves her honour on account of her links to the criminal fraternity - and the Kray brothers in particular.

Shhh. In this country even bribing policemen to buy a news story is not illegal. Fraternising like that is almost recommended.
  • Options

If I was a conscientious council worker, or a brilliant ambulance driver or a courageous soldier I would want my "honour" to be part of the same system that demonstrated its prestige by awarding friends of the powerful, the rich and famous and scheming/ conniving politicians. Otherwise the awards would be boring and ignored and be little more regarded than glazing salesman of the year (North eastern region).

An interesting idea. I suppose there's also the fact that for all the focus on the sleazy appointments and celebrities currently in the limelight, there will be an inevitable 'such a shame, honours should be more like that one given to joe blogs mbe', that is to say that attention is drawn to the less glamorous and controversial ones in contrast to the initially breaking headline names, much more so than if it was divorced entirely from these political and celebrity honours.

ALthough to counter argue, someone who has earned a true honour for proper service may not care about wide coverage or glamour.
  • Options
    Danzcuk suspended
  • Options
    Will Danczuk end up resigning his seat? I'm guessing not.

Would be an interesting by-election.
  • Options
    What has Danczuk done ?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,079
    BA First Class is excellent, but not up there with Singapore Airlines or Emirates.

For Business Class, BA is good if you are upstairs on a 747, otherwise Virgin's Upper Class is better.

If you want to travel cheaply in Virgin or BA in premium cabins, you should consider joining their frequent flier programme, acquiring some Air Miles on the black market, and then being flexible with the dates. I've heard that you can acquire BA miles at about 1.2p/pop, which means that return to the US in business is just over £1,000 before taxes.
  • Options
    ''Oh god. Agenbite of inwit. ''

Excellent anecdote, one of the many pleasures of PB!!
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited December 2015
    surbiton said:

What has Danczuk done ?

See the front pages of this morning's tabloids for what's alleged.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/6831118/Labour-MP-Simon-Danczuk-sends-sleazy-texts-to-young-girl.html
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Will Danczuk end up resigning his seat? I'm guessing not.

Would be an interesting by-election.

I would prefer his "wife" to replace him.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

What has Danczuk done ?

He offered to spank Jeremy Corbyn.
  • Options

surbiton said:

What has Danczuk done ?

It looks spectacularly messy:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/12075637/MP-Simon-Danczuk-probed-by-police-after-sending-spanking-texts-to-teenager.html
  • Options

This feels like a trap, and he fell in

Sky
    General Secretary of the Labour party has suspended Simon Danczuk's membership after allegations he sent text messages to a 17-year-old girl

Rather unclear headline there, Sky News - I presume these were naughty text messages, otherwise people are allowed to text other people, even those 17 years old.

They couldn't fit (I assume) 'rauncy' 'racy' 'smutty' etc etc into the news alert?
  • Options

surbiton said:

What has Danczuk done ?

Well, with what's alleged, that's the minimum punishment. He was a Blairite anyway.
  • Options

SeanT said:

They're not alone:

Nicola Sturgeon faced a barrage of criticism from angry Scottish nationalists today after welcoming the 'Queen of Scotland' to Edinburgh.

The Scottish First Minister thanked Her Majesty for 'years of dedicated service' and joined in a rendition of God Save the Queen.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3227930/Now-STURGEON-trolled-cybernats-Angry-nationalists-slam-Scotland-s-Minister-welcoming-foreign-Queen.html
    That's mild indifference on the YFS (Yoon Fawning Scale).
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

What has Danczuk done ?

Well, with what's alleged, that's the minimum punishment. He was a Blairite anyway.
    I like your use of the past tense.
  • Options

surbiton said:

What has Danczuk done ?

It looks spectacularly messy:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/12075637/MP-Simon-Danczuk-probed-by-police-after-sending-spanking-texts-to-teenager.html
    Are politicians mad ? Texting from his own phone ?
  • Options
    As a point of principle I always refuse to address people who have been knighted by any new title - not that I encounter them very often. I take the view that if Mrs Windsor wishes to call them 'Sir' that is a matter for her , but does not impose an obligation on anyone else to do the same.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

taffys said:

''Odd. And maybe you are right, perhaps that route has become too much of of a partyzone, even for the plutocrats, so they are judicious.''

It's funny how in coach behaviour is as much policed by other passengers as the staff. Obnoxious passengers get dirty looks etc.

There are far fewer barriers in First. Imagine some minor rock star/celeb/wealthy scrap merchant type off their t8ts in first on a jolly to Barbados. Nightmare for the other passengers, all of whom have paid the three grand.

I reckon there have been a some very bad experiences. Its not like these are CEOs who have to work when they arrive.

Yep. That must explain it. But again I am sure they'd have given you as much Taitinger as you could drink if you'd asked (without falling over)

Relatedly, I still feel for the other passengers on the plane when i did my Concorde jolly to Barbados.

As I said it was the inaugural flight, so on the way back to London there was just us - an extremely happy group of very boozy travel journalists, with attending film crew - and one silent middle aged couple at the other end of the plane.

of course we all got hugely drunk and literally started throwing bread rolls, behaving obnoxiously the whole way (the staff joined in), meanwhile this poor couple sat there, enduring our noise in stony silence, knowing they'd paid £5000 for their seats and we'd paid nothing.

Oh god. Agenbite of inwit.
    I'd have joined in.

And asked for a job.
  • Options
    It would make for a fascinating by-election. Both the Lib Dems and UKIP would be going for this seat hell for leather.
  • Options
    I bet it broke Corbyn's heart to suspend Danczuk.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,036
    I never thought I'd end up asking this on PB, but it's about seating on flights. I have flown transatlantically on cheap fares but I found it difficult to handle the poor legroom for a prolonged period of time. I have thought of splitting the journey - so US to Canada to Iceland to UK - but the cost trebles or more. Seeing as there are people here more knowledgable than I, I thought I'd ask the following question

"What is the cheapest option that allows one to fly transatlantically lying down or mostly reclined?"
  • Options
    Are politicians mad ? Texting from his own phone ?

If you read the texts of the young lady, she is very far from a shrinking violet, judging by her own comments.
  • Options

It would make for a fascinating by-election. Both the Lib Dems and UKIP would be going for this seat hell for leather.

Yes. Don't see it happening though. This is a stick-it-out apology imo

https://twitter.com/SimonDanczuk/status/682531578434686976
  • Options
    With this Danzcuk's news, does that knock aside a 'Corbyn is Crap' thread?

After Oldham, I know longer have faith any by-elections will be interesting. I know that one should have been regarded as safe all along (I never thought it was in danger), but it turned out even less interesting than expected.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,617
    edited December 2015
    justin124 said:

It shows, if you work hard enough, it will set you free and get you an honour.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited December 2015
    jUSTIN 124..re your post..B Windsor..classy..
  • Options
    Brooks Newmark sent a pic of his todger to a journalist and he didn't resign as MP, Danczuk should be fine, the complicating factor is what he's been campaigning about in the past
  • Options

He is a backbench MP, one who really has no time for the leadership. Why should he resign?
  • Options

surbiton said:

What has Danczuk done ?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/6831118/Labour-MP-Simon-Danczuk-sends-sleazy-texts-to-young-girl.html
    Thank goodness he did not accept an honour. Then he really would be in trouble.
  • Options
    Yeah. Right.
    "When I first got in touch I never expected the messages to get so graphic. At the time I played along with it, but now I feel like he duped me."
    Sophena Houlihan
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,021
    As Danny565 (I think) pointed out last night, he seems to be in a bad place, personally. I hope he gets some help, and he should step down as MP.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,371
    viewcode said:

I never thought I'd end up asking this on PB, but it's about seating on flights. I have flown transatlantically on cheap fares but I found it difficult to handle the poor legroom for a prolonged period of time. I have thought of splitting the journey - so US to Canada to Iceland to UK - but the cost trebles or more. Seeing as there are people here more knowledgable than I, I thought I'd ask the following question

"What is the cheapest option that allows one to fly transatlantically lying down or mostly reclined?"

I don't know, but I do recommend Norwegian for a combination of cheap fare and reasonable legroom. Paying a bit extra to choose your seat and going for a bulkhead seat might be the ideal.
  • Options
    Why should he resign? If he'd a broken leg we'd never suggest that.

As Danny565 (I think) pointed out last night, he seems to be in a bad place, personally. I hope he gets some help, and he should step down as MP.

• Options

He is a backbench MP, one who really has no time for the leadership. Why should he resign?
    Because it might make for a fascinating by-election? As you say, he really has no time for the leadership. A by-election in Rochdale would be rather awkward for Jeremy Corbyn. Simon Danczuk might see it as a parting present.
  • Options

I mean for his own sake.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,104
    MaxPB said:

Hate to give out free advice, but re supply shortages surely better to look at foundry side supply shortages for processors/SoCs. The 14nm process at Samsung and GF are both heavily supply limited and TSMC's 16nm output is a joke, though the latter seems to be better engineered than the former two so demand is higher. Also, Samsung's 14nm is not like Intel 14nm, only the gates are really 14nm for Samsung (which is why their 14nm chips consume more power than TSMC's 16nm chips).

As for Flash and RAM, we subscribe to Trend Force (I think that's the name) which gives a decent overview of spot prices and futures for RAM and flash.

Mrs J was involved in deep conversations before Christmas about what process they were designing to next, and at which foundry. I miss listening to those conversations, even if I wasn't in chip design per se. Starting a new project is always exciting. So much hope, soon to be bashed ...

As an aside, Mrs J got me a Christmas present of a fully-populated chip wafer. Only 12" diameter, but still cool, and had my nieces and nephews fascinated. I'm not sure if wanting a chip wafer makes me an uber Geek or not ...
  • Options

viewcode said:

I don't know, but I do recommend Norwegian for a combination of cheap fare and reasonable legroom. Paying a bit extra to choose your seat and going for a bulkhead seat might be the ideal.
    What's a "bulkhead seat" please?
  • Options
    Making himself unemployed would help him?

I mean for his own sake.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Brooks Newmark sent a pic of his todger to a journalist and he didn't resign as MP, Danczuk should be fine, the complicating factor is what he's been campaigning about in the past

Yeah. Danczuk reminds me of a certain authors rants about Asian sex gangs.
  • Options

I mean for his own sake.
    He's on a downward trajectory (marriage break up, and struggles with depression). He needs to turn that around, and there should be people who are able to help him - including with finding a more suitable, less high profile form of employment.
  • Options
    He can take sick leave in that case - like every other employee..

I think he's been under a lot of stress - but suggesting he resigns is entirely wrong if he needs help with any mental health challenges.

I mean for his own sake.
    He's on a downward trajectory (marriage break up, and struggles with depression). He needs to turn that around, and there should be people who are able to help him - including with finding a more suitable, less high profile form of employment.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,004
    Why the f are Greater manchester Police getting involved ?

Danczuk's been an idiot but he's done nothing illegal.
  • Options

On a basic human level you are partially correct: neither he nor his ex-partner Karen were particularly happy in their relationship and he seems to be finding the breakup difficult. Which is fair enough. But a MP is one of the few jobs where you can do nothing for quite some time and not get fired. A period of informal withdrawal would enable him to get his head together: resignation would be excessive and unnecessary.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,634

Because it might make for a fascinating by-election? As you say, he really has no time for the leadership. A by-election in Rochdale would be rather awkward for Jeremy Corbyn. Simon Danczuk might see it as a parting present.
    When at university I helped organise cheese-and-wine (yes, really pissups) in the Victoria Room at the House of Commons. The format was simple - a bunch of students got to meet a bunch of MPs. The moment the word was out in the corridors of parliament that free booze was on offer - well, you got alot of MPs.

Watching the interactions was fascinating. There does seem to be a type of young lady who chases after fat, old, ugly politicians. As one foat, old, ugly MP remarked to me - "Moths to a flame. But who is the moth?"
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Why the f are Greater manchester Police getting involved ?

Danczuk's been an idiot but he's done nothing illegal.

Harassment apparently.

GMP the other day were searching for a bloke in lycra with a boner on the metro.

'Cause wearing lycra is a crime, and if it isn't, it should be.
This discussion has been closed.