Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Alastair Meeks compares his predictions for 2015 with what

124»

Comments

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Re Letwin, I was working in London in the mid 80s, his views at the time were pretty widely held, right or wrong. I know nothing of Letwin but I do enjoy a fuss like this, if only because it stops the pb Tories chucking the race card around for a day or two.

You know who you are, let's see you start a campaign to have Letwin removed, if a kipper had aired these views you'd be foaming at the mouth.

I think you'll find most if not all PB Tories have a notion of judging comments and actions in context, for example the era it was done in. See the discussion regarding Rhodes lately.

In which case please name a single example of where Tories have "foamed at the mouth" about comments made 30 years earlier by a Kipper which have subsequently been apologised for. Comments made yesterday which haven't been apologised for are not comparable.
    I'm laughing out loud at your predictability.

So you got nothing - now that was predictable.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited December 2015
    ''It was released / leaked on a slow news day.''

One of the many fascinating aspects to that story is what constitutes, or does not constitute, 'the mainstream.'

People who get banned on political grounds tend to be extremists. And yet Trump could shortly be one of two people running off for the presidency of the world's most powerful nation.

It really is a quite breathtakingly astonishing decision by May. Read her words. Like she's dismissing some common or garden hate preacher.

As I say somebody is not living in the real world. Personally if I were on May for tory leader, I'd be getting off now.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637
    surbiton said:

Why does the North get floods in the same places over and over again ? If it was Somerset Plains, something would have been done.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/weather/12073903/UK-floods-Storm-Frank-Sir-Philip-Dilley-live.html

Fewer marginals for the Tories to mop up.

Pun intended.
  • Options
    JBriskin said:

And if you have leet skills you can do this -

https://twitter.com/josephdcassidy/status/681955627447529472

Ultimately a state of quantum superposition will collapse when contact is made with the real world.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,046
    MTimT said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes, it's the internet that is changing things. For instance, I've learned a totally new way of eating largely from internet research. But it has meant unlearning what I learned from TV, school, on the side of cereal packets, in magazines, etc., and re-learning (to use an extremely unfashionable word) 'wisdom' from previous generations. That mass communication that told us (amongst other things) that fat was bad, saturated fat the worst, and that synthetic added vitamins and minerals could replace naturally occurring ones, marks a blip whereby what granny said was discarded in favour of what the men on the wireless said. The internet is changing that as you rightly suggest, because it's not passively listening to a broadcast.

My mother in law is a fount of completely wrong information. She has a bunch of theories she's picked up over the years, most of which are completely wrong. This was without the benefit of TV (she didn't have one until she was in her 30s).

Trust me: the Internet and - even - the TV generation are much better informed than those that came before.
    I cannot imagine how much longer each work week would be for me to do all the research I do without access to the internet. It would certainly exceed a 168-hour week. I think it is easily possible now to research and learn in one year on the internet what would have been impossible in a lifetime just 30 years ago.
    Twenty years ago I had a bookcase that was filled with computer manuals and books; everything from K&R C and Stroustrup's C++ to UML design and Steve McConnell's excellent 'Code Complete'. Now I have just a couple, kept for old time's sake alongside 'Structural Design of steelwork to BS 5950' from another life.

Why? Because the same information that was in the books is readily available online, albeit amongst acres of dross that needs filtering out. I found I was using them much less, until eventually, two house moves ago, I never bothered unpacking them.

The Internet is wonderful, *if* you can filter well. I've come across tutorial programming pages where they've got fundamentals utterly wrong and teach massively bad practice. Yet despite that caveat's it's wonderful.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Surbiton maybe it gets more rain..is fairly mountainous.
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380

MTimT said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes, it's the internet that is changing things. For instance, I've learned a totally new way of eating largely from internet research. But it has meant unlearning what I learned from TV, school, on the side of cereal packets, in magazines, etc., and re-learning (to use an extremely unfashionable word) 'wisdom' from previous generations. That mass communication that told us (amongst other things) that fat was bad, saturated fat the worst, and that synthetic added vitamins and minerals could replace naturally occurring ones, marks a blip whereby what granny said was discarded in favour of what the men on the wireless said. The internet is changing that as you rightly suggest, because it's not passively listening to a broadcast.

My mother in law is a fount of completely wrong information. She has a bunch of theories she's picked up over the years, most of which are completely wrong. This was without the benefit of TV (she didn't have one until she was in her 30s).

Trust me: the Internet and - even - the TV generation are much better informed than those that came before.
    I cannot imagine how much longer each work week would be for me to do all the research I do without access to the internet. It would certainly exceed a 168-hour week. I think it is easily possible now to research and learn in one year on the internet what would have been impossible in a lifetime just 30 years ago.
    Twenty years ago I had a bookcase that was filled with computer manuals and books; everything from K&R C and Stroustrup's C++ to UML design and Steve McConnell's excellent 'Code Complete'. Now I have just a couple, kept for old time's sake alongside 'Structural Design of steelwork to BS 5950' from another life.

Why? Because the same information that was in the books is readily available online, albeit amongst acres of dross that needs filtering out. I found I was using them much less, until eventually, two house moves ago, I never bothered unpacking them.

The Internet is wonderful, *if* you can filter well. I've come across tutorial programming pages where they've got fundamentals utterly wrong and teach massively bad practice. Yet despite that caveat's it's wonderful.
    Incidentally - when I was checking the spelling of Byrne yesterday his wiki page didn't exist. It's back-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liam_Byrne

all a bit worrying though
  • Options

2015 - not a bad year for a Spurs and English cricket supporting PB Tory betting against kippers and Team Ed & who got a superb new album from his fave band too....and saw them live. That exit poll at 10pm will take some beating however!! Fantasy footie coming right too vs a certain PB threadmaster also sees the year end high... I've not even mentioned the booming pensions advice market either or my profit on those annuity providers!

How can you forget the highlight of 2015? I drank about 4 red bulls at 5.30am on May 8th so I wouldn't miss it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66RuTjG1Vvk
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    taffys said:

One of the many fascinating aspects to that story is what constitutes, or does not constitute, 'the mainstream.'

People who get banned on political grounds tend to be extremists. And yet Trump could shortly be one of two people running off for the presidency of the world's most powerful nation.

It really is a quite breathtakingly astonishing decision by May. Read her words. Like she's dismissing some common or garden hate preacher.

As I say somebody is not living in the real world. Personally if I were on May for tory leader, I'd be getting off now.

She's expressing a view which seems to be very popular with the public. There have to be some Conservative members in that 500k.
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    edited December 2015

surbiton said:

Why does the North get floods in the same places over and over again ? If it was Somerset Plains, something would have been done.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/weather/12073903/UK-floods-Storm-Frank-Sir-Philip-Dilley-live.html

Fewer marginals for the Tories to mop up.

Pun intended.
    You might look a the map of anti flood projects.
    The Humber Estuary £80m and the Boston Barrier £73m easily outspend Somerset Levels £15m
    Oh - and this still leaves the thick end of £2,3bn to spend.
  • Options
    BBC - A husband and wife who plotted a terror attack in London have been jailed for a minimum of 27 and 25 years.

Serious prison time - perhaps in future would be terrorists will think twice before opening Twitter accounts under dodgy names and asking followers what targets he should bomb.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35198500
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    surbiton said:

perdix said:

ydoethur said:

surbiton said:

ydoethur said:

taffys said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/donald-trump/12074314/Government-may-exclude-Donald-Trump-after-565000-sign-petition-calling-for-UK-entry-ban.html

I'm not sure which is more astonishing, Trump as US president, or the very real possibility the president of the United States could be banned from Britain.

Banning Donald Trump and not Robert Mugabe* or Xi Jinping would look, to say the least, a little odd and something of an over-reaction. It would also probably not be conducive to good trans-Atlantic relations.

*Only the subject of an EU wide ban, as I understand it, not a UK one. Didn't Tatchell once try to arrest him?
    Isn't UK part of the EU ?
    The point being it was not a UK specific ban. We were quite happy to let him in until Brussels stopped us even though for some reason we banned Peter Chinkoga instead.

Regarding Oliver Letwin, there are people in all parties that you wonder why others rate them. For Labour...well actually, I haven't space to go through them all, but we'll just go with 'Ed Miliband': for the Liberal Democrats, Chris Rennard; for the SNP, John Swinney.

I think it must be that they are good at sucking up to the right people.
    Letwin is very intelligent and honest with the truth but has a somewhat unworldly innocence.

He is very intelligent but naïve. So what is he doing in politics ? He is a time bomb ticking.
    Good job he doesn't have a statue, the pitchfork-and-torch mob would be gathering to tear it down.

I truly despair of my country. The only saving grace is most of this mental illness takes place hundreds of miles from me, in what may as well be another, less happy land...
  • Options

surbiton said:

I think Alastair and others belittle themselves about the hung parliament. The overall votes actually suggested a hung parliament. Remember there was a swing from the Conservatives to Labour, more so in England. It was the collapse of the Liberal Democrats which gave the Tories their majority. The Tories won 27 seats from the LDs to get their absolute majority.

Incredibly, every other party increased their vote share in 2015 from 2010 !

Had Labour not lost eight seats to the Tories, then Labour would have deprived the Tories of their majority.

Plus thanks to the superior Tory ground game, the Tory share of the vote went up in the marginals whereas Lab piled up votes in their safe seats.
    I don't remember many people on here predicting anything other than another hung Parliament in one form or another. I must admit I was one of those who thought it was almost certain.
  • Options

BBC - A husband and wife who plotted a terror attack in London have been jailed for a minimum of 27 and 25 years.

Serious prison time - perhaps in future would be terrorists will think twice before opening Twitter accounts under dodgy names and asking followers what targets he should bomb.

Yes. If only they were all such idiots.
  • Options

Thank Allah some of these terrorists are so flipping dumb.

It is something out of Four Lions
  • Options

surbiton said:

I think Alastair and others belittle themselves about the hung parliament. The overall votes actually suggested a hung parliament. Remember there was a swing from the Conservatives to Labour, more so in England. It was the collapse of the Liberal Democrats which gave the Tories their majority. The Tories won 27 seats from the LDs to get their absolute majority.

Had Labour not lost eight seats to the Tories, then Labour would have deprived the Tories of their majority.

Plus thanks to the superior Tory ground game, the Tory share of the vote went up in the marginals whereas Lab piled up votes in their safe seats.
    I don't remember many people on here predicting anything other than another hung Parliament in one form or another. I must admit I was one of those who thought it was almost certain.
    I was saying Hung Parliament was free money for ages.

When the exit poll came out Tory maj was 10/1, and even after Nuneaton Tory Majority was around 2/1.

Was astonishing even after all that, the markets were still in denial.

Before 10pm I was confident on the Tories being the largest party by some distance, but was steeling myself for a Rainbow Alliance to keep the Tories out.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,458
    Wanderer said:

taffys said:

She's expressing a view which seems to be very popular with the public. There have to be some Conservative members in that 500k.
    Trump is a rather strident version of the saloon bar racist. "If I ran the country.." etc

If that is the bar to entry into the country, then immigration is going to be interesting. 30 second conversations on the opinion of the would be immigrant on the social/moral value of those who practise the Hindu religion would end up barring quite a few....
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited December 2015

Yes, it is and therefore those sentences worry me. Is there not something wrong with banging up silly fantasists for decades whilst at the same time people who are serious threats to public safety are not only allowed to go freely about their poisonous business but supported by the state while they do so. I can't help feeling that the plot is being lost.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Tom Harris
    Reminds me of the old joke about the agenda for inaugural meeting of a new Trotskyist Group “Item 1 – the Split” https://t.co/NOS6SV6bHY
  • Options

Yes, it is and therefore those sentences worry me. Is there not something wrong with banging up silly fantasists for decades whilst at the same time allowing people who are serious threats to public safety are not only allowed to go freely about their poisonous business but supported by the state while they do so. I can't help feeling that the plot is being lost.
    I think the problem is that even silly fantasists can get lucky and cause real harm. To treat them as if they were not a threat is sending entirely the wrong message.
  • Options

Wanderer said:

taffys said:

Trump is a rather strident version of the saloon bar racist. "If I ran the country.." etc

If that is the bar to entry into the country, then immigration is going to be interesting. 30 second conversations on the opinion of the would be immigrant on the social/moral value of those who practise the Hindu religion would end up barring quite a few....
    Oh sure.

However, as a piece of political positioning I'm not convinced it does her harm to distance herself from him. Even mainstream Republicans are poorly perceived in this country.
  • Options

Yes, it is and therefore those sentences worry me. Is there not something wrong with banging up silly fantasists for decades whilst at the same time people who are serious threats to public safety are not only allowed to go freely about their poisonous business but supported by the state while they do so. I can't help feeling that the plot is being lost.
    Were they just fantasists? I thought they were actually making explosives, or was that part fantasy too?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,880
    On Topic

Think I predicted EMWNPM!!!!
  • Options

Yes, it is and therefore those sentences worry me. Is there not something wrong with banging up silly fantasists for decades whilst at the same time allowing people who are serious threats to public safety are not only allowed to go freely about their poisonous business but supported by the state while they do so. I can't help feeling that the plot is being lost.
    More than just mere fantasy Mr Llama, according to the Telegraph the couple had already stockpiled chemicals to make bombs and were just days away from carrying out their plans.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,820

surbiton said:

I was predicting a majority up until February of this year. Granted, it was a Labour majority, and I switched to Lab most seats in the run up to the GE, but I avoided the common prediction for a time at least.
  • Options

On Topic

Think I predicted EMWNPM!!!!

Ed Miliband Will Never Please Momentum?
  • Options
    See - I didn't dream it - where would we be without each other Ridgster!

http://news.sky.com/story/1614317/state-school-id-rather-beg-letwins-gaffes
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    kle4 said:

surbiton said:

I was predicting a majority up until February of this year. Granted, it was a Labour majority, and I switched to Lab most seats in the run up to the GE, but I avoided the common prediction for a time at least.
    I ruled out a Labour majority in 2011, stated in 2012 the Tories would win most votes, and held out the serious possibility of a majority during 2014 and early 2015, although I never believed it was odds-on. And in truth it never was odds-on.
  • Options

I think the problem is that even silly fantasists can get lucky and cause real harm. To treat them as if they were not a threat is sending entirely the wrong message.
    Yes I can see that but it still seems out of kilter to me. That couple had actually done nothing and caused harm to no one. Yet we have people spreading hate and pernicious messages designed to encourage others to attack the UK going about, without let or interference, by the authorities and claiming benefits to support themselves. For Goodness sake, the ghastly Hook-man even had the Metropolitan police close off roads so that he could spread his messages of hate during his open air sermons, and that was after his mosque threw him out.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited December 2015

2015 - not a bad year for a Spurs and English cricket supporting PB Tory betting against kippers and Team Ed & who got a superb new album from his fave band too....and saw them live. That exit poll at 10pm will take some beating however!! Fantasy footie coming right too vs a certain PB threadmaster also sees the year end high... I've not even mentioned the booming pensions advice market either or my profit on those annuity providers!

How can you forget the highlight of 2015? I drank about 4 red bulls at 5.30am on May 8th so I wouldn't miss it.

criminal omission - apologies to the pb world

Claire Perry ‏@claire4devizes May 7
    Hallelujah. Mark Reckless out. Don't let the door hit your fat arse as you leave.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

kle4 said:

surbiton said:

I ruled out a Labour majority in 2011, stated in 2012 the Tories would win most votes, and held out the serious possibility of a majority during 2014 and early 2015, although I never believed it was odds-on. And in truth it never was odds-on.
    I think that's right. It's an example of a somewhat (not extremely) unlikely thing that happened.
  • Options

I believe they had the materials to make the bombs, but lacked the detonator.

They were a serious threat.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Also, if you're reading this Sophy - Ms Briskin thinks that you may have some food sensitivities (don't listen you her too much though - you would literally go mad)
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

Trusted sources help, and then cross-checking of sources of unknown reliability. It usually does not take that long.

For me I have ready-made trusted sources - e.g. UN and government agencies, professional associations, journals, after action reports, published books (many of which are online in pdf format) - and plenty of news articles (which require some cross-checking), so it's not too hard to get to something approaching reliable data.

Of course, even trusted sources get it wrong sometimes, as the CDC website did on the appropriate PPE to wear while providing intensive patient care for Ebola victims. There are two nurses at Texas Presbyterian who can attest to that. So I tend to check data from government and UN sources against other official sources. But at some point it comes down to trust.

I have a new contract that will get me an office in NIH for a year or longer, with full access to their online library. Can't wait.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013

surbiton said:

Cameron's superiority to Miliband won the government but there's a very good case it was hedgies' money and Mark Clarke who won the majority.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I'm still not entirely sure. the internet gives us 4-chan and ni-channel (the original [possibly more poisonous] japanese version) and enables ISIS and co. Probably the pluses outweigh the minuses.

plus this site (and the USA in general) has the massive global warming blindspot

There is no AGW blindspot on here. Just informed scepticism.
    in your case, Richard i agree. You are indeed an informed sceptic. I think you are the exception though
  • Options
    ''However, as a piece of political positioning I'm not convinced it does her harm to distance herself from him. Even mainstream Republicans are poorly perceived in this country. ''

Distancing yourself from Trump is one thing.

Banning him from the country as an extremist is quite something else.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,598

One pix here for @HurstLlama #Top10 Political Eponyms: Boris bikes, Barnett formula, Short money, Baker days, Wilson doctrine, Belisha beacon.. https://t.co/qjJtqVFmMF

1. English words without a rhyme

Bulb
    Rhythm
    Chimney
    False
    Walrus
    Width (and depth)
    Cushion
    Wasp
    Filth (and filthy)
    Angel
    We also had patio, acrid, silver, purple, squadron and month. And most ordinal numbers from fifth to thousandth.
    Oh dear.

With 'em.
    Waltz
    Tilth

For three.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited December 2015
    Without wanting to blow my own trumpet too much (well, actually, I do want to, but that's just the standard pre-amble to make me look slightly less dickheadish), I was one of the few this time last year to be predicting a good chance of a Tory majority. To such an extent that I was accused by Labour posters of being unduly negative. For me, the fundamental factors were that people thought Cameron fit the bill of a Prime Minister and "looked the part" at international conferences hobnobbing with Obama and Merkel, and because the overriding feeling among people I was talking to was that, although the country was still not in a great state, the Tories had only had 5 years and they hadn't messed up THAT badly, so it was worth giving them another shot. I correctly thought there was a narrow path to a Tory majority if they held on well in the Con-Lab marginals outside of London, and if they made the gains from the Lib Dems that the arithmetic was indicating all along (it was always going to be impossible for the Lib Dems' national vote to drop by two-thirds yet magically still hold up in all their own seats).

However, it's for those same reasons that I think people are wildly overestimating the Tories' chances in 2020. None of the candidates to replace Cameron match up to him in terms of natural PM-ish qualities, with Osborne especially not even in the same league. Further, when the government has been in for 10 years, people are ALWAYS less inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt: if anything is wrong with the country (and make no mistake, people will ALWAYS find SOME things to be wrong with the country), they will be blaming the government of the day after that length of time, whereas after just 5 years they might still blame the last government and say that the current government hasn't been given a long enough stint to fix things yet.
  • Options

Hallelujah. Mark Reckless out. Don't let the door hit your fat arse as you leave.
    Take 250 points from your Fantasy Football team as punishment.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

On the published information, if they counted as a serious threat goodness knows what the minor ones are. I see from the Telegraph article that was referred to up-thread that this couple (a druggie and and his besotted girlfriend, without the means to put their fantasy into practice) was one of the Seven Major Plots foiled by MI5 in the last year. Well, really, if that constitutes a major plot then MI5 has gone seriously down market in the past 20 years.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

taffys said:

Trump is clearly a nasty ignorant and indeed hysteric figure. As President he would be appalling and it strikes me that any British PM would have to tell him so.
    As it happens it would be unlikely he would want to pop in for a game of golf and would probably not be invited for any state visit.
    As I believe someone has pointed out being President is far too close to a proper job for Trump who will be content to see his name promoted in the USA to make his money. If plain Mr Trump wants to visit then I would not care who told him to go to hell.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,458
    Wanderer said:

Wanderer said:

taffys said:

Oh sure.

However, as a piece of political positioning I'm not convinced it does her harm to distance herself from him. Even mainstream Republicans are poorly perceived in this country.
    The point I am making is that it might be a subtle piece of positioning. Radical Islam generally expresses extreme racism against not just Jews, but non-Abrahamic faiths.

Banning the import of hate preachers on the grounds of manifest racism would be a difficult policy for the Common Purpose types to oppose.
  • Options
    ''Trump is clearly a nasty ignorant and indeed hysteric figure. As President he would be appalling and it strikes me that any British PM would have to tell him so.
    As it happens it would be unlikely he would want to pop in for a game of golf and would probably not be invited for any state visit.''

This is more hysterical than anything Trump ever said.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,598
    edited December 2015

Wanderer said:

taffys said:

Trump is clearly a nasty ignorant and indeed hysteric figure. As President he would be appalling and it strikes me that any British PM would have to tell him so.
    As it happens it would be unlikely he would want to pop in for a game of golf and would probably not be invited for any state visit.
    As I believe someone has pointed out being President is far too close to a proper job for Trump who will be content to see his name promoted in the USA to make his money. If plain Mr Trump wants to visit then I would not care who told him to go to hell.

Wanderer said:

taffys said:

There are as many who have signed petitions with opposite views, and I seem to remember that a lot of those signatories are not based in Britain.

May is kneejerking as foolishly as she has before. She is not a stable, reliable, trustworthy politician with good judgement.

She is allowed one stupid decision, but this is a habit now.
  • Options

Take 250 points from your Fantasy Football team as punishment.
    are you still playing? I thought you'd given up............... tee hee......
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,854

When the exit poll came out Tory maj was 10/1, and even after Nuneaton Tory Majority was around 2/1.

If you have a link to an extant source for either of those two odds, I will think kindly of you.

• Options

Yes I can see that but it still seems out of kilter to me. That couple had actually done nothing and caused harm to no one. Yet we have people spreading hate and pernicious messages designed to encourage others to attack the UK going about, without let or interference, by the authorities and claiming benefits to support themselves. For Goodness sake, the ghastly Hook-man even had the Metropolitan police close off roads so that he could spread his messages of hate during his open air sermons, and that was after his mosque threw him out.
    It is a consequence of our legal system and of our values as a society. And I am not at all sure I disagree with it either.

Freedom of speech - which would, I am afraid, cover much of what you describe as spreading hate and pernicious messages - is to me something of great value and to be protected even when what is being said is inconvenient, abusive or downright disgusting.

On the other hand plotting to commit an attack, even if the plotters are clearly incompetent and of limited but unknown danger to others, is a crime and should be treated as such.
  • Options
    notable mentions also go to the election results in Morley, South Thanet, Thurrock and of course Bedford and Watford....
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Without wanting to blow my own trumpet too much (well, actually, I do want to, but that's just the standard pre-amble to make me look slightly less dickheadish), I was one of the few this time last year to be predicting a good chance of a Tory majority. To such an extent that I was accused by Labour posters of being unduly negative. For me, the fundamental factors were that people thought Cameron fit the bill of a Prime Minister and "looked the part" at international conferences hobnobbing with Obama and Merkel, and because the overriding feeling among people I was talking to was that, although the country was still not in a great state, the Tories had only had 5 years and they hadn't messed up THAT badly, so it was worth giving them another shot. I correctly thought there was a narrow path to a Tory majority if they held on well in the Con-Lab marginals outside of London, and if they made the gains from the Lib Dems that the arithmetic was indicating all along (it was always going to be impossible for the Lib Dems' national vote to drop by two-thirds yet magically still hold up in all their own seats).

However, it's for those same reasons that I think people are wildly overestimating the Tories' chances in 2020. None of the candidates to replace Cameron match up to him in terms of natural PM-ish qualities, with Osborne especially not even in the same league. Further, when the government has been in for 10 years, people are ALWAYS less inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt: if anything is wrong with the country (and make no mistake, people will ALWAYS find SOME things to be wrong with the country), they will be blaming the government of the day after that length of time, whereas after just 5 years they might still blame the last government and say that the current government hasn't been given a long enough stint to fix things yet.

All fair points, Mr 565. However, is there not a danger that, whilst people in 2020 are looking for an alternative, Corbyn's Labour (whether or not he is still at the helm) will be seen as an unacceptable one. People may be unhappy with the government but that does not mean they will vote for the opposition party.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933

On the published information, if they counted as a serious threat goodness knows what the minor ones are. I see from the Telegraph article that was referred to up-thread that this couple (a druggie and and his besotted girlfriend, without the means to put their fantasy into practice) was one of the Seven Major Plots foiled by MI5 in the last year. Well, really, if that constitutes a major plot then MI5 has gone seriously down market in the past 20 years.
    Viva mass immigration.... so what if a few want to live by different laws and kill us all
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Danny565 said:

It's unseemly and self indulgent to blast one's trumpet....but as you've started...I'll join in too. For almost the entire period of the last Parliament I was confidently - through all the polling nadirs - predicting a re-elected Tory government, and was often found comforting and consoling the more excitable manic-depressives of the blue luvvlies. I do confess to having a minor wobbly on polling day, particularly after the ICM Labour lead....but out I went joyfully and did my duty for young Mr Raab and my fellow Borough candidates: we increased our Council majority too.

We old pols, the poor bloody infantry in the secret army: we knows our stuffs.

By the way I commend Tim Ross's book on the election (which Santa thoughtfully included in my stocking).
  • Options
    If anybody's interested, my prediction on the Tuesday before the election was Con 35, Lab 30, Lib 10, Oth 25. Not because of any prescience on my part, but because round numbers made the sums easier...:-)
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    JohnO said:

Danny565 said:

It's unseemly and self indulgent to blast one's trumpet....but as you've started...I'll join in too. For almost the entire period of the last Parliament I was confidently - through all the polling nadirs - predicting a re-elected Tory government, and was often found comforting and consoling the more excitable manic-depressives of the blue luvvlies. I do confess to having a minor wobbly on polling day, particularly after the ICM Labour lead....but out I went joyfully and did my duty for young Mr Raab and my fellow Borough candidates: we increased our Council majority too.

We old pols, the poor bloody infantry in the secret army: we knows our stuffs.

By the way I commend Tim Ross's book on the election (which Santa thoughtfully included in my stocking).
    PS And I won most of my bets with tim. That's what pbTories do.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

If you have a link to an extant source for either of those two odds, I will think kindly of you.

The pb threads for the night had regular betting odds updates from posters. You could start there.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

10/1 Here - Though it is poorly worded

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/bookies-odds-general-election-results-9208205

The 2/1 was mentioned on the Nuneaton result thread by the wonderful Tissue_Price

http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/664674/#Comment_664674
  • Options

It is a consequence of our legal system and of our values as a society. And I am not at all sure I disagree with it either.

Freedom of speech - which would, I am afraid, cover much of what you describe as spreading hate and pernicious messages - is to me something of great value and to be protected even when what is being said is inconvenient, abusive or downright disgusting.

On the other hand plotting to commit an attack, even if the plotters are clearly incompetent and of limited but unknown danger to others, is a crime and should be treated as such.
    Freedom of speech has not, in the UK, ever extended to encouraging violence or an attack against the normal state of society. Such speech is in itself a criminal offence (actually one of a number, depending on the circumstances). Yet people who on the face of it are committing those offences are given aid by the state and allowed to continue, but silly fantasists that take heed of their message are classified as major terrorists and banged up for decades.

Makes no sense to me.
  • Options
    isam said:

Viva mass immigration.... so what if a few want to live by different laws and kill us all
    Lost me on that one, Mr Sam.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933

Freedom of speech has not, in the UK, ever extended to encouraging violence or an attack against the normal state of society. Such speech is in itself a criminal offence (actually one of a number, depending on the circumstances). Yet people who on the face of it are committing those offences are given aid by the state and allowed to continue, but silly fantasists that take heed of their message are classified as major terrorists and banged up for decades.

Makes no sense to me.
    People will be calling them "bunglers" soon to make them seem less of a threat

... and don't mention the M word
  • Options

New Thread New Thread

• Options

viewcode said:

The pb threads for the night had regular betting odds updates from posters. You could start there.
    So you don't have a link.

Sigh...
This discussion has been closed.