Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Alastair Meeks compares his predictions for 2015 with what

Comments

• Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    edited December 2015

Mr. Wanderer, worth noting that the last two General Election exit polls have been highly accurate, and highly disbelieved initially, due to being out of whack with pre-vote polling.

Edited extra bit: apparently 4-5" of rain expected for Cumbria.

Not just the last 2 - every one since 1997 onwards has been near spot on. If anything 2015's was unusually inaccurate in that it under predicted the Conservatives by about 20 seats.
    Actually 2015 wasn't spot on was it? It was still saying NOM.

Edit: Sorry, that's what you've just said.
  • Options

Re Letwin:

Has a single person ever had such a malign effect for so long on a political party and still remained near the top ?

Are we fated to read about his idiocies of thirty years ago every year for the rest of our lives ?

Letwin is a great example of an out of touch prat. Born for an earlier age. Such as the 17th century?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Nice to see Moeen win the MoM:

Silly question though. Do wearers of facial-hair shampoo their distinguishments or merely exercise soap-and-flannel...?

:maybe-one-for-mr-dancer:

Good grief, Mr. Thoughts, that is a jolly personal question. I know we have a habit on this site of disclosing personal information (see Miss Plato's post re Playboy for girls below as an example), but there are limits. How a chap maintains the health of his moustache really isn't a matter for discussion in mixed company.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216
    Wanderer said:

Cyclefree said:

Fowler saying CONDOM was my personal highlight. A very scary time, it changed my behaviour and a superb PR campaign. I can't find the clip of him on YouTube, boo.

ydoethur said:

I see that there are papers on the AIDS campaign being released as well. Time to remember some gems from the period.

Norman Fowler '(mops brow) Crikey!'

After a civil servant had explained to him what oral sex was. A reminder of a more innocent age?

But my favourite was his announcement of the AIDS campaign in the House of Commons:

'We're sending 23 million leaflets to every household in Britain.'

I suppose burying everyone in a huge mountain of paper would at least deter promiscuity!

I'm still slightly agog that Norman Fowler managed to reach late middle age without knowing what oral sex was........

I am struggling to believe that one. He must have been mystified a lot.
    If true, I feel rather sorry for him.

• Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    He had 200 suits, dozens of silk shirts/ties and 50+ pairs of shoes. I thought that was normal for years.

He varied his smalls to include snakeskin patterns. Bit of a brazen Lothario. Fortunately, my mother found it all darkly amusing and we pretended not to notice his Date Nights and choice of secretaries/photos of them draped across his car/field gates...

The super conservative nature of my HiL was a revelation!

Somethings are just so surprising. My dad used to wander round the house in his leopard print smalls, my husband didn't know if his dad had a hairy chest as he'd never seen him without shirt and tie. Both the same age - but totally different social values.

Cyclefree said:

Fowler saying CONDOM was my personal highlight. A very scary time, it changed my behaviour and a superb PR campaign. I can't find the clip of him on YouTube, boo.

ydoethur said:

I see that there are papers on the AIDS campaign being released as well. Time to remember some gems from the period.

After a civil servant had explained to him what oral sex was. A reminder of a more innocent age?

But my favourite was his announcement of the AIDS campaign in the House of Commons:

I suppose burying everyone in a huge mountain of paper would at least deter promiscuity!

I'm still slightly agog that Norman Fowler managed to reach late middle age without knowing what oral sex was........

Your father wasn't called Austin Powers by any chance ?
  • Options

Silly question though. Do wearers of facial-hair shampoo their distinguishments or merely exercise soap-and-flannel...?

Good grief, Mr. Thoughts, that is a jolly personal question. I know we have a habit on this site of disclosing personal information (see Miss Plato's post re Playboy for girls below as an example), but there are limits. How a chap maintains the health of his moustache really isn't a matter for discussion in mixed company.
    Does it involve anything that Norman Fowler wouldn't have heard of?
  • Options
    Mr. Thoughts, I don't have facial hair.

Well. I have fast-growing stubble and a reluctance to shave (I dislike shaving but don't want a beard) so often have 2-3 days of manly stubble. Not enough for me to encounter the perils of beard grooming, however.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,303
    edited December 2015

Re Letwin:

Has a single person ever had such a malign effect for so long on a political party and still remained near the top ?

Are we fated to read about his idiocies of thirty years ago every year for the rest of our lives ?

Letwin is a great example of an out of touch prat. Born for an earlier age. Such as the 17th century?
    Could you please withdraw that slur upon the 17th Century? It was the age that gave us Speaker Lenthall and William Laud.

I think we're going all the way back to about the 6th century to find someone as useless as poor old Letwin. Hengist and Horsa wouldn't have been afraid of him.
  • Options

Prep for my 'Elf-n-Safety training (which is no doubt due soon due to FCA requirements). :)
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216

Re Letwin:

He's not a prat. He's better suited to the academic life I think and probably lacks a certain amount of common-sense, for all his intelligence, and low political cunning. Mr Palmer of this parish has said that Letwin is a genuinely nice man.

Personally, I think the whole culture of taking offence and ersatz apologies is pernicious nonsense which should be stopped immediately. When I am a Benevolent Dictator Empress, it will be. :)
  • Options
    The Thatcher government was derided as "presidential" at the time, but the revelation that she allowed the majority view of her cabinet to prevail over her own regarding the AIDS awareness campaign showed that her government was still far more collegiate than today's. It's difficult to see Cameron, Blair or Brown allowing their cabinet to overrule them.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited December 2015

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Mr. Hemmelig, I stand corrected.

Uncorrect yourself, he was appointed Shadow Chancellor in December 2003 and reshuffled to Agriculture in May 2005 after Howard's defeat.

His appallingly inept response to the 2004 budget was one of the worst parliamentary performances I have seen. He spent most of it shrieking and shouting about figures he didn't know, things that hadn't been discussed and never once did he make any reasonable points. The best bit was when he broke off mid rant to drink an entire glass of water very slowly while waving his right hand high in the air. At least that was vaguely funny!
    hard to know of Letwin or David Willetts is the bigger numpty.
    That is a good one. David Willetts is supposed to be very clever. However, when I read his book 'The Pinch' I was appalled. Not only were most of its facts wrong - for example, most British people were not homeowners in the 1950s - but his English was terrible. Unintentionally, I am sure, he spent most of his time talking about the difficulties the Baby Boomer generation face in bringing up their baby goats and getting onto the housing ladder. Which makes no sense, as goats don't live in houses.

On the other hand, he did not drink a whole glass of water very slowly while waving his right hand inconsequentially in the air on the one chance he had per year to duff up Gordon Brown while people were actually listening. So I'll give that to Letwin.
    I was listening to an interview with Willetts on R4 just before Xmas,

He was heading some think tank which was trying to sound concerned about young folk being crapped on. It didn't seem to occur to him that if you shaft the young with uni fees, push up house prices and raise their taxes while doshing up pensioners, then the gap between the baby boomers and the current 20 somethings is only going to get bigger.

Hypocrital or just plain stupid ? Hard to call.
    Willetts pre 2010 GE was heading up a large meeting (circa 200) to "sell" some internal changes to party members in Hampshire. Went ok until he gave his opinion that we needed to build houses on all the green fields he passed by in his train from London. He also denied that immigration was avery large contributor to the shortage of housing..... A man out of touch with his own party and out of touch with facts. A real social democrat in the wrong party.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Wanderer said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

If true, I feel rather sorry for him.

Indeed.

But he must have come across the word fellatio. And he must have wondered what it was. A type of Italian dessert perhaps?

Likewise, did he just think that cunnilingus, as in the old joke, was a misspelling of the Irish airline?
  • Options
    HHemmeligHHemmelig Posts: 617
    edited December 2015

Re Letwin:

Are you acquainted with Mr James Gordon Brown?
    I think Mandelson is a closer parallel with Letwin. A backroom operator constantly dogged by gaffes and scandal yet seemingly always forgiven and allowed to remain at the top table of party and government for 30 odd years (at least until Corbyn).

• Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    The fundamentals of economic competence and leadership meant that Labour were never going to win.Same will apply in 2020 under a gerry-mandered system rigged to favour the Tories.
  • Options
    HHemmelig said:

The Thatcher government was derided as "presidential" at the time, but the revelation that she allowed the majority view of her cabinet to prevail over her own regarding the AIDS awareness campaign showed that her government was still far more collegiate than today's. It's difficult to see Cameron, Blair or Brown allowing their cabinet to overrule them.

Or Corbyn, of course :wink:
  • Options

Mr. Thoughts, I don't have facial hair.

Well. I have fast-growing stubble and a reluctance to shave (I dislike shaving but don't want a beard) so often have 2-3 days of manly stubble. Not enough for me to encounter the perils of beard grooming, however.

Yorvik-shire yet not Viking! No wonder you feel safer with Carthage.... ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    :smile:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/12073556/national-archives-everything-we-know.html

Shades of Yes, Minister...
    Douglas Hurd had to be walked around a Dublin park to shift a hangover the morning after his first ministerial meeting with his Irish counterparts in 1984

Ronald Reagan risked Margaret Thatcher's wrath by suggesting she read a thriller by writer Tom Clancy to understand the Cold War

Margaret Thatcher's close adviser dismissed a controversial Church of Endland report as 'Marxist' after it fiercely criticised key policies
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    Schotterdämmerung was good, and especially because it can be understood in two ways. Dämmerung (twilight) means both dusk and dawn – the dawn of the SNP and the dusk of SLab.
    If you write it with a single t, thus Schoterdämmerung, it would mean the dusk or dawn of fools (Schote - coll fool).
  • Options
    Mr. Thoughts, I'm uncertain whether Hannibal had a beard or not. It seems probable, whereas the Romans of that era were typically clean-shaven.
  • Options
    HHemmelig said:

Yes, that's the most striking thing. There is a mythical Margaret Thatcher that is somewhat different to the one that existed. (To some extent she encouraged this herself, I think.)
  • Options

Mr. Thoughts, I'm uncertain whether Hannibal had a beard or not. It seems probable, whereas the Romans of that era were typically clean-shaven.

Do any Roman sources provide a physical description of Hannibal? Or any non-Roman sources for that matter?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Re Letwin:

Could you please withdraw that slur upon the 17th Century? It was the age that gave us Speaker Lenthall and William Laud.

I think we're going all the way back to about the 6th century to find someone as useless as poor old Letwin. Hengist and Horsa wouldn't have been afraid of him.
    YDoethur, No, no, no! Your post indicates the idea that people and society are on an upward curve and that past generations were inferior to ours. As you are a historian I am surprised to see you subscribing to such a view. Not only that but whilst the 17th century did produce men like Laud and Lenthall it also produced its fair share of 22 carat bastards as well as thickos in positions of power.

There are Letwins, and worse, in every age.
  • Options
    Mr. Wanderer, the prime sources are Livy (pro-Roman biased), Polybius (a Greek hostage, in a friendly way, of the Scipios) and Appian, which I haven't read.

I think there are descriptions but can't remember them, alas. Except that he only had one eye, which I recall because he lost it during a march through the Arnus Marshes (I think evading Flaminius on the way to Lake Trasimene).
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Re Letwin:

YDoethur, No, no, no! Your post indicates the idea that people and society are on an upward curve and that past generations were inferior to ours. As you are a historian I am surprised to see you subscribing to such a view. Not only that but whilst the 17th century did produce men like Laud and Lenthall it also produced its fair share of 22 carat bastards as well as thickos in positions of power.

Well, it could be read that way. Although by implication, there were definite disimprovements from the 5th to the 6th century (again, that could be controversial).

My main point was it was a bit unfair to suggest the poor old 17th Century was an appropriate place for Letwin. What has it ever done to deserve that?
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    Even with a pint in hand still no need for such a skew-whiff tie. What would Mr Farage think???
  • Options
    Not only have I practically, um, doubled my bank-roll - but it has also been confirmed that England is indeed a country - I should be paid for the good work I do on behalf of our glorious union.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    edited December 2015
    Wanderer said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

That's not so strange. When my mother was growing up in 1950's Ireland, sex was described as "something that men do.". Some women were unaware that it had any connection to procreation.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,472

ydoethur said:

Re Letwin:

Well said. We are in my opinion one of the most foolish generations there has ever been - the effect of mass communication. By virtue of being the latest generation, we have the benefit of the sum of all human knowledge, but we've discarded much of it in favour of believing what the people on the telly say, with disastrous consequences in every sphere, not least pubic health. There are signs that the next generation will be a lot better in this regard.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Re Letwin:

Well, it could be read that way. Although by implication, there were definite disimprovements from the 5th to the 6th century (again, that could be controversial).

My main point was it was a bit unfair to suggest the poor old 17th Century was an appropriate place for Letwin. What has it ever done to deserve that?
    Well, the 17th century did produce one of the worst, most tin-eared, politicians in England's history in the shape of Charles I (and some other great bloody fools as well). Against those Letwin could be judged a political colossus.
  • Options
    JBriskin said:

Even with a pint in hand still no need for such a skew-whiff tie. What would Mr Farage think???

Of all the mortifications involved in writing this article, that picture is by some distance the most harrowing aspect for me.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Re Letwin:

Well, the 17th century did produce one of the worst, most tin-eared, politicians in England's history in the shape of Charles I (and some other great bloody fools as well). Against those Letwin could be judged a political colossus.
    But Charles I did not break off from complaining 'I see the birds have flown' to drink a glass of water very slowly while waving his other hand in the air. Whatever his other faults were!
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Wanderer said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

That's not so strange. When my mother was growing up in 1950's Ireland, sex was described as "something that men do.". Some women were unaware that it had any connection to procreation.
    It is also connected to the Bill Clinton denial. Particularly to older generations, "heavy petting" did not count as "sexual relations" (and maybe still doesn't for the purposes of annulling non-consummated marriages -- ianal).
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,458
    Sean_F said:

It's a peculiar phenomenon. I watched a docu about the behaviour a while ago - the stereotype being the gangsta who will kill you for disrespecting his mother, not because he feels slurred or wants to enjoy killing you, but because some *respectable behaviour* line has been crossed. Honour amongst thieves is another.

Miss Plato, the very same group with whom Corbyn believes we should negotiate.

Likewise, the loathing that "ordinary, decent, criminals" have towards sex offenders.
    Thomas Sowell pointed out that the "Gangsta" culture bears a great deal of resemblance to the "culture" of the Southern slaveocrats. Perpetual drinking, actual work is considered a positive evil (unless done by others), savage misogyny combined with proprietorial violence, a system of honour which requires murderous violence against any infringement, real or imagined...

I could easily imagine this chap - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preston_Brooks - riding around in a stretched Hummer.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    isam said:

isam said:

Letwin's comments...

If you took all the people on Broadwater Farm in the 80s, and gave them the resources of the aristocracy, and vice versa, we would see racist aristocrats and high minded, liberal ex Broadwater Farmists

No, we wouldn't. Knowing the difference between right and wrong and behaving accordingly has nothing to do with wealth and certainly nothing to do with living on a council estate.
    The pressure of scraping a living or relying on benefits due to unemployment is a major factor in the bad decisions people make
    I fall somewhere in between you two. Chronic stress - including financial stress - releases chemicals into the brain which undermine our innovation, productivity and decision-making abilities. But right and wrong are pretty much hard-wired by the time we are adults and there are plenty of poor people around the world who have no problem inculcating their kids in the right thing to do. Part of the difference is whether people have been beaten down into a fatalist, hopeless victim mentality vs whether they feel empowered to improve their current state by their own actions.

Thus, it is in society's self-interest to help those in chronic financial stress to help themselves out of it. But dependence on welfare is not the way. IMO hope, self-confidence and the tools to sustain these are more valuable than welfare in helping people escape victim paralysis to become fully engaged and empowered members of society. I don't think our current welfare system is well set up to deliver this.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

It's a peculiar phenomenon. I watched a docu about the behaviour a while ago - the stereotype being the gangsta who will kill you for disrespecting his mother, not because he feels slurred or wants to enjoy killing you, but because some *respectable behaviour* line has been crossed. Honour amongst thieves is another.

Miss Plato, the very same group with whom Corbyn believes we should negotiate.

Likewise, the loathing that "ordinary, decent, criminals" have towards sex offenders.
    Thomas Sowell pointed out that the "Gangsta" culture bears a great deal of resemblance to the "culture" of the Southern slaveocrats. Perpetual drinking, actual work is considered a positive evil (unless done by others), savage misogyny combined with proprietorial violence, a system of honour which requires murderous violence against any infringement, real or imagined...

I could easily imagine this chap - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preston_Brooks - riding around in a stretched Hummer.
    Sowell always challenges your preconceptions. Don't always agree with him, but I try to read his pieces when I see them.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Some good points in here
    The most recent high-profile example of hatefact-avoidance was the debate about police shootings in America; numerous news sites published fatality rates by race, but no one in any mainstream newspaper on either side of the Atlantic (as far as I could see) actually pointed out that the demographics of the people getting shot match the demographics of the people who do violent crime and indeed who point guns at police offices – overwhelmingly young and male, disproportionately high black and low Asian. That would be a hatefact; it would also mean critical thinking.
    http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2015/01/can-we-have-some-critical-thinking-in-discussing-islam/
  • Options
    HHemmelig said:

Yes, it was Blair who killed off Cabinet government. The point of collective responsibility is to allow ministers to disagree with each other. Mrs Thatcher (like Mr Wilson and earlier PMs) was often openly at odds with various ministers. Now we have a fit of the vapours if Benn differs from Corbyn in a free vote.

Vaguely remembered anecdote I can't be bothered to google: a reporter told John Smith he'd ripped his trousers. "Aye, and if you look closely you can see the split in the Cabinet."
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,458
    Wanderer said:

HHemmelig said:

Yes, that's the most striking thing. There is a mythical Margaret Thatcher that is somewhat different to the one that existed. (To some extent she encouraged this herself, I think.)
    There are various elements here - firstly, for the time, Thatcher was quite a strong leader. Secondly, sexism (as much from the Labour left as from the right) found it strange that a woman should be completely in charge rather than "guided" by the men around her. Antonia Fraser noted that most of the attacks on Thatcher match the classic responses to powerful women down the ages....

The real Thatcher carried out vigorous cabinet government. Which she led.

Perhaps the most damage done by this was to Labour - who "learn't" that the way to govern was the imagined version of what Thatcher did - destroying internal opposition, reducing ministers to automatons...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,013

ydoethur said:

Re Letwin:

Well said. We are in my opinion one of the most foolish generations there has ever been - the effect of mass communication. By virtue of being the latest generation, we have the benefit of the sum of all human knowledge, but we've discarded much of it in favour of believing what the people on the telly say, with disastrous consequences in every sphere, not least pubic health. There are signs that the next generation will be a lot better in this regard.
    This site is all the evidence you need that modern communication is a force for improving people's knowledge. It is a fount of wisdom about (almost) all things.
  • Options
    Are there? Where? Certainly not in the part you quote.

Some good points in here

The most recent high-profile example of hatefact-avoidance was the debate about police shootings in America; numerous news sites published fatality rates by race, but no one in any mainstream newspaper on either side of the Atlantic (as far as I could see) actually pointed out that the demographics of the people getting shot match the demographics of the people who do violent crime and indeed who point guns at police offices – overwhelmingly young and male, disproportionately high black and low Asian. That would be a hatefact; it would also mean critical thinking.
    http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2015/01/can-we-have-some-critical-thinking-in-discussing-islam/

• Options

Mr. Wanderer, the prime sources are Livy (pro-Roman biased), Polybius (a Greek hostage, in a friendly way, of the Scipios) and Appian, which I haven't read.

I think there are descriptions but can't remember them, alas. Except that he only had one eye, which I recall because he lost it during a march through the Arnus Marshes (I think evading Flaminius on the way to Lake Trasimene).

One-eyed like Horatius then.

It's interesting that, because the Romans ultimately won the Punic Wars and got to write the history, it's their accounts we have of the time when they were losing. Cannae is the most famous debacle in military history, still exercising the imagination of generals two millenia later, and yet it's the losers' account that we have.

(I might be completely wrong about this. I've never heard of any Carthaginian accounts though.)
  • Options
    MTimT said:

isam said:

isam said:

Letwin's comments...

If you took all the people on Broadwater Farm in the 80s, and gave them the resources of the aristocracy, and vice versa, we would see racist aristocrats and high minded, liberal ex Broadwater Farmists

No, we wouldn't. Knowing the difference between right and wrong and behaving accordingly has nothing to do with wealth and certainly nothing to do with living on a council estate.
    The pressure of scraping a living or relying on benefits due to unemployment is a major factor in the bad decisions people make
    I fall somewhere in between you two. Chronic stress - including financial stress - releases chemicals into the brain which undermine our innovation, productivity and decision-making abilities. But right and wrong are pretty much hard-wired by the time we are adults and there are plenty of poor people around the world who have no problem inculcating their kids in the right thing to do. Part of the difference is whether people have been beaten down into a fatalist, hopeless victim mentality vs whether they feel empowered to improve their current state by their own actions.

Thus, it is in society's self-interest to help those in chronic financial stress to help themselves out of it. But dependence on welfare is not the way. IMO hope, self-confidence and the tools to sustain these are more valuable than welfare in helping people escape victim paralysis to become fully engaged and empowered members of society. I don't think our current welfare system is well set up to deliver this.
    Top post.

I have sympathy with isam's point of view - people in crap situations make crap decisions, ones which often make their situation even crappier.

You can get some of the way by improving the incentives present in the system; like him or loathe him this is what IDS is trying to do with welfare (whether it will be successful or not is a separate issue and one where we'll need to see the new system in place for a decade or so before we can really get a good idea about how it functions in practice). But even providing people with the correct incentives is not a guarantee that they will be taken.*

I think one of the strongest arguments in favour of a guaranteed minimum income is that it removes the kind of day-to-day survival stress that isam is talking about, which ought to improve people's capacity to make better decisions.

*Plenty of people with plenty of time on their hands to exercise, and sufficient cash to eat a relatively healthy diet (even if they could only afford a simple one), don't manage it, despite their health and wellbeing being a pretty clear and present motivator.
  • Options
    Mr. Wanderer, no Carthaginian accounts, alas.

It seems the Romans were proud of beating Hannibal, so although they impugned his character (considering the use of tactical cunning to be low trickery) they didn't hold his abilities in contempt.

Anyway, I must be off.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Sean_F said:

Wanderer said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Sure, but Norman Fowler (so far as we know) didn't grow up as a girl in Ireland in the 50s.
  • Options

As someone who is currently bearded, the answer is... soap and water.

But I have a friend with a massive (think Amla) beard. He uses shampoo and conditioner. But then, he is a bit of a metrosexual. And he lives in Shoreditch.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited December 2015
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/donald-trump/12074314/Government-may-exclude-Donald-Trump-after-565000-sign-petition-calling-for-UK-entry-ban.html

I'm not sure which is more astonishing, Trump as US president, or the very real possibility the president of the United States could be banned from Britain.

May better pray Trump loses
  • Options

JBriskin said:

Of all the mortifications involved in writing this article, that picture is by some distance the most harrowing aspect for me.
    This was a really good piece.

I think more pundits should publish their annual mea culpa. Having the discipline to list their predictions on an annual basis for future testing would reveal just how insightful our commentariat are.

(Anyway, I liked your coat!)
  • Options
    taffys said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/donald-trump/12074314/Government-may-exclude-Donald-Trump-after-565000-sign-petition-calling-for-UK-entry-ban.html

I'm not sure which is more astonishing, Trump as US president, or the very real possibility the president of the United States could be banned from Britain.

May better pray Trump loses

Utterly absurd, and illiberal.

More evidence that May is not a serious politician.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    taffys said:

Banning Donald Trump and not Robert Mugabe* or Xi Jinping would look, to say the least, a little odd and something of an over-reaction. It would also probably not be conducive to good trans-Atlantic relations.

*Only the subject of an EU wide ban, as I understand it, not a UK one. Didn't Tatchell once try to arrest him?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    I think Alastair and others belittle themselves about the hung parliament. The overall votes actually suggested a hung parliament. Remember there was a swing from the Conservatives to Labour, more so in England. It was the collapse of the Liberal Democrats which gave the Tories their majority. The Tories won 27 seats from the LDs to get their absolute majority.

Incredibly, every other party increased their vote share in 2015 from 2010 !
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

Re Letwin:

This site is all the evidence you need that modern communication is a force for improving people's knowledge. It is a fount of wisdom about (almost) all things.
    Yes, it's the internet that is changing things. For instance, I've learned a totally new way of eating largely from internet research. But it has meant unlearning what I learned from TV, school, on the side of cereal packets, in magazines, etc., and re-learning (to use an extremely unfashionable word) 'wisdom' from previous generations. That mass communication that told us (amongst other things) that fat was bad, saturated fat the worst, and that synthetic added vitamins and minerals could replace naturally occurring ones, marks a blip whereby what granny said was discarded in favour of what the men on the wireless said. The internet is changing that as you rightly suggest, because it's not passively listening to a broadcast.
  • Options
    Maybe it's my vintage, but I knew of several couples who'd never seen their spouse naked. All lights off and locked bathroom doors.

Things have changed a great deal in recent decades.
    Wanderer said:

Sean_F said:

Wanderer said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Sure, but Norman Fowler (so far as we know) didn't grow up as a girl in Ireland in the 50s.
  • Options
    ''Utterly absurd, and illiberal.

More evidence that May is not a serious politician. ''

And counter productive.

Trump LOVES this kind of stuff. He loves to stir it up. He might threaten to ban Britons as well as muslims.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Sean_F said:

Wanderer said:

Cyclefree said:

Wanderer said:

Sean_F said:

Wanderer said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Norman Fowler was defeated by Alan Clark for the nomination in Plymouth Sutton constituency prior to the Feb 1974 election....as such, Fowler is mentioned in a few early pages of Clark's diaries, in pretty unfavourable terms. Clark indeed found him an unworldly puritan type so the oral sex stuff is not a surprise, he was also very much a "party man" and CCO were apparently very upset that Sutton chose Clark in place of him despite a lot of subtle pressure on the association.
  • Options

Yes, it's the internet that is changing things. For instance, I've learned a totally new way of eating largely from internet research. But it has meant unlearning what I learned from TV, school, on the side of cereal packets, in magazines, etc., and re-learning (to use an extremely unfashionable word) 'wisdom' from previous generations. That mass communication that told us (amongst other things) that fat was bad, saturated fat the worst, and that synthetic added vitamins and minerals could replace naturally occurring ones, marks a blip whereby what granny said was discarded in favour of what the men on the wireless said. The internet is changing that as you rightly suggest, because it's not passively listening to a broadcast.

My mother in law is a fount of completely wrong information. She has a bunch of theories she's picked up over the years, most of which are completely wrong. This was without the benefit of TV (she didn't have one until she was in her 30s).

Trust me: the Internet and - even - the TV generation are much better informed than those that came before.
  • Options
    I hate stubble. Without careful manicuring it looks grubby hobo.

I've also noticed a lot of facial hair product advertising recently to ameliorate its worse impact on females. I imagine many will buy it as gifts to avoid getting a red chin.
    rcs1000 said:

As someone who is currently bearded, the answer is... soap and water.

But I have a friend with a massive (think Amla) beard. He uses shampoo and conditioner. But then, he is a bit of a metrosexual. And he lives in Shoreditch.
  • Options
    This is not the first time that Letwin has apologised. I remember in one general election campaign he was actually grounded so that the media couldn't find him.

Why do the Tories think so highly of him ? I am sure they think he has good ideas but the proportion of daft / politically damaging opinions are too numerous to be ignored.
  • Options

Re Letwin:

Are you acquainted with Mr James Gordon Brown?
    Ha ha ha.
    Your point brings home how hysterical other people get.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    HHemmelig said:

Norman Fowler was defeated by Alan Clark for the nomination in Plymouth Sutton constituency prior to the Feb 1974 election....as such, Fowler is mentioned in a few early pages of Clark's diaries, in pretty unfavourable terms. Clark indeed found him an unworldly puritan type so the oral sex stuff is not a surprise, he was also very much a "party man" and CCO were apparently very upset that Sutton chose Clark in place of him despite a lot of subtle pressure on the association.

lol, well I think there was no danger of Alan Clark being similarly ignorant
  • Options
    Just had a flashback to that time Letwin was papped throwing away classified material in the nearest bin. What a dude.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

My mother in law is a fount of completely wrong information. She has a bunch of theories she's picked up over the years, most of which are completely wrong. This was without the benefit of TV (she didn't have one until she was in her 30s).

Trust me: the Internet and - even - the TV generation are much better informed than those that came before.
    I cannot imagine how much longer each work week would be for me to do all the research I do without access to the internet. It would certainly exceed a 168-hour week. I think it is easily possible now to research and learn in one year on the internet what would have been impossible in a lifetime just 30 years ago.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

taffys said:

Banning Donald Trump and not Robert Mugabe* or Xi Jinping would look, to say the least, a little odd and something of an over-reaction. It would also probably not be conducive to good trans-Atlantic relations.

*Only the subject of an EU wide ban, as I understand it, not a UK one. Didn't Tatchell once try to arrest him?
    Isn't UK part of the EU ?
  • Options
    taffys said:

''Utterly absurd, and illiberal.

More evidence that May is not a serious politician. ''

And counter productive.

Trump LOVES this kind of stuff. He loves to stir it up. He might threaten to ban Britons as well as muslims.

Don't know if you saw this article, but it sounds as if you might like it:
    http://thefederalist.com/2015/12/16/military-strategist-explains-why-donald-trump-leads-and-how-he-will-fail/
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

illiberal.

More evidence that May is not a serious politician.

only serious politicians can manage to be truly liberal

(perhaps)
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    That Trump banning story doesn't seem to have had much coverage but potentially May's comments there are very significant.

Somebody, I don;t know whether its Trump or May, clearly is not living in the real world.
  • Options
    I don't think the South Africans managed to score 250 in any Test innings in 2015.

Yet the No.3 and No.7 ranking batsman is playing for them.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

ydoethur said:

taffys said:

The point being it was not a UK specific ban. We were quite happy to let him in until Brussels stopped us even though for some reason we banned Peter Chinkoga instead.

Regarding Oliver Letwin, there are people in all parties that you wonder why others rate them. For Labour...well actually, I haven't space to go through them all, but we'll just go with 'Ed Miliband': for the Liberal Democrats, Chris Rennard; for the SNP, John Swinney.

I think it must be that they are good at sucking up to the right people.
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

HHemmelig said:

lol, well I think there was no danger of Alan Clark being similarly ignorant
    A judge's wife and both daughters if I remember correctly ...

Didn't Plymouth have both Clark and David Owen as MPs at that time?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I'm still not entirely sure. the internet gives us 4-chan and ni-channel (the original [possibly more poisonous] japanese version) and enables ISIS and co. Probably the pluses outweigh the minuses.

plus this site (and the USA in general) has the massive global warming blindspot

• Options

Maybe it's my vintage, but I knew of several couples who'd never seen their spouse naked. All lights off and locked bathroom doors.

Things have changed a great deal in recent decades.

Wanderer said:

Sean_F said:

Wanderer said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Surely several people who did not see their spouses naked. Or, are you saying you know of couples who did not see each other naked.

Probably some did by choice !!!
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I'm still not entirely sure. the internet gives us 4-chan and ni-channel (the original [possibly more poisonous] japanese version) and enables ISIS and co. Probably the pluses outweigh the minuses.

plus this site (and the USA in general) has the massive global warming blindspot

I had thought that polls show public opinion in the UK and USA almost identical on AGW.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

I don't think the South Africans managed to score 250 in any Test innings in 2015.

Yet the No.3 and No.7 ranking batsman is playing for them.

Almost correct, this was the last time they managed to get 250 (421, to be exact): http://www.espncricinfo.com/south-africa-v-west-indies-2014-15/engine/match/722333.html

It doesn't say much for the rest of the world's batsmen, does it? But then look at India - hardly anyone apart from Pujara has scored big runs for them recently, and his are interrupted by strings of low scores. Cook scores a few every so often. Root starts, but his conversion rate remains poor. The Australians, with one exception, have been pretty woeful - and even Smith hid a few bad tests with a lot of good ones. The West Indians are - well. Pakistan have done all right, but have hardly played any matches so their batsmen's numbers are skewed. And Kumar Sangakarra has retired.

So really only Kane Williamson has been churning out the big scores all the time this year, which is how Amla and de Villiers are still in the mix after rather a lean run.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

rcs1000 said:

I had thought that polls show public opinion in the UK and USA almost identical on AGW.
    ah, maybe so. does that mean this site is representative of the UK, or am I wrong about the US?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

No, but I suspect that unless she lived in a remote convent she was exposed to other aspects of mass media. As for her theories, I couldn't tell you whether or not I might agree with aspects of them unless I heard one.

I agree that the TV generation are *more* informed, but also more misinformed, or if you like, more disinformed. To continue to use the area of food and public health, pre-industrial peoples would not have necessarily been 'informed' on the best food to give their infants, but they would have had all the benefits of generations before them finding out what kept them healthy and what made them ill. This 'folk' wisdom led to a diet of fermented foods, soaked grains or legumes, raw 'live' milk, curds and whey, organ meats, butter. These are all the things we're belatedly appreciating the health benefits of after discarding them in favour of rancid vegetable oils, denatured dairy, quick rise bread, synthetic 'vitamins and iron', refined sugar, and the panoply of modern diet features that are leading to unprecedented levels of allergies, intolerances, and chronic disease.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

rcs1000 said:

I may be working off old data, but this is what I had in mind. Awareness/Caused by Human Activity/Perceived as a Threat:

United Kingdom 97 48 69
    United States 97 49 63

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_change_opinion_by_country
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

If you regard a plurality of views and full and frank discussion on something as a 'blind spot' then you're unlikely to be convinced of the benefits of the internet in enlightening the masses.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

No, but I suspect that unless she lived in a remote convent she was exposed to other aspects of mass media. As for her theories, I couldn't tell you whether or not I might agree with aspects of them unless I heard one.

I agree that the TV generation are *more* informed, but also more misinformed, or if you like, more disinformed. To continue to use the area of food and public health, pre-industrial peoples would not have necessarily been 'informed' on the best food to give their infants, but they would have had all the benefits of generations before them finding out what kept them healthy and what made them ill. This 'folk' wisdom led to a diet of fermented foods, soaked grains or legumes, raw 'live' milk, curds and whey, organ meats, butter. These are all the things we're belatedly appreciating the health benefits of after discarding them in favour of rancid vegetable oils, denatured dairy, quick rise bread, synthetic 'vitamins and iron', refined sugar, and the panoply of modern diet features that are leading to unprecedented levels of allergies, intolerances, and chronic disease.
    She is used to people listening to her, on the basis of her age. Her grandson - who's about 11 - constantly infuriates her by saying "I'm not sure about that Bea; let's Google it."
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Lolz

Josephdcassidy
    I have identified a phenomenon known as "Schrödinger's Labour" - where every "Momentum" Twitter account is simultaneously real AND a parody
  • Options
    And if you have leet skills you can do this -

https://twitter.com/josephdcassidy/status/681955627447529472
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

She is used to people listening to her, on the basis of her age. Her grandson - who's about 11 - constantly infuriates her by saying "I'm not sure about that Bea; let's Google it."
    Amusing - though I suspect google has enough different answers to prove them both right.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

There is no AGW blindspot on here. Just informed scepticism.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492

Re Letwin, I was working in London in the mid 80s, his views at the time were pretty widely held, right or wrong. I know nothing of Letwin but I do enjoy a fuss like this, if only because it stops the pb Tories chucking the race card around for a day or two.

You know who you are, let's see you start a campaign to have Letwin removed, if a kipper had aired these views you'd be foaming at the mouth.

I think you'll find most if not all PB Tories have a notion of judging comments and actions in context, for example the era it was done in. See the discussion regarding Rhodes lately.

In which case please name a single example of where Tories have "foamed at the mouth" about comments made 30 years earlier by a Kipper which have subsequently been apologised for. Comments made yesterday which haven't been apologised for are not comparable.
    I'm laughing out loud at your predictability.

• Options
    pretty good though - can we have a new thread - I'm getting bored - and in semi-red (ooh, err) alert area this time
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Sean_F said:

Wanderer said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Curiously, a girl growing up in Ireland in the 1750s would have been far better informed about sex than one growing up in the 1950s.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

I think Alastair and others belittle themselves about the hung parliament. The overall votes actually suggested a hung parliament. Remember there was a swing from the Conservatives to Labour, more so in England. It was the collapse of the Liberal Democrats which gave the Tories their majority. The Tories won 27 seats from the LDs to get their absolute majority.

Arguably this is because the 5 years long libdem campaign of belittling their own government - the government they were a significant part of - was overwhelmingly successful. Having succeeded in implementing their USP, coalition government, the entire libdem operation ran away from it in the manner of Kenneth Williams' Caesar running from the conspirators.
  • Options
    taffys said:

That Trump banning story doesn't seem to have had much coverage but potentially May's comments there are very significant.

Somebody, I don;t know whether its Trump or May, clearly is not living in the real world.

It was released / leaked on a slow news day.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Had Labour not lost eight seats to the Tories, then Labour would have deprived the Tories of their majority.

Plus thanks to the superior Tory ground game, the Tory share of the vote went up in the marginals whereas Lab piled up votes in their safe seats.
  • Options
    I can't find the comment - but someone was talking about semi-pros writing down all their bets.

I used to think that way - but I honestly think that writing down things connects with the Jungian subconcious nowadays.

I used to laugh a bit at my profit-making betting friend who didn't write things down.

Anyways - what I'm trying to say is - (well I pretty much break-even (dunner-kruger) effect - life's too short.

BRB - literally gonna check my betfair P/L
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    One pix here for @HurstLlama #Top10 Political Eponyms: Boris bikes, Barnett formula, Short money, Baker days, Wilson doctrine, Belisha beacon.. https://t.co/qjJtqVFmMF
    1. English words without a rhyme

Bulb
    Rhythm
    Chimney
    False
    Walrus
    Width (and depth)
    Cushion
    Wasp
    Filth (and filthy)
    Angel
    We also had patio, acrid, silver, purple, squadron and month. And most ordinal numbers from fifth to thousandth.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,820
    JohnLoony said:

Incidentally, i happened to notice earlier today that today is what would have been the 80th birthday of President Omar Bongo of Gabon. I noticed it because I have his Daily Telegraph obituary on my bedroom wall (it's next to those of Gwyneth Dunwoody and Nicholas Fairbairn).

An interesting selection indeed.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    ydoethur said:

surbiton said:

ydoethur said:

taffys said:

The point being it was not a UK specific ban. We were quite happy to let him in until Brussels stopped us even though for some reason we banned Peter Chinkoga instead.

Regarding Oliver Letwin, there are people in all parties that you wonder why others rate them. For Labour...well actually, I haven't space to go through them all, but we'll just go with 'Ed Miliband': for the Liberal Democrats, Chris Rennard; for the SNP, John Swinney.

Letwin is very intelligent and honest with the truth but has a somewhat unworldly innocence.

• Options
    Hmmm - nice profits though - but it was just a lucky couple of nags though - as I said break-even playa - that's me
  • Options

Somethings are just so surprising. My dad used to wander round the house in his leopard print smalls, my husband didn't know if his dad had a hairy chest as he'd never seen him without shirt and tie. Both the same age - but totally different social values.

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

I am sure virtually every body has seen their dads topless. Maybe not mothers ! Or, they cannot remember it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

JohnLoony said:

Incidentally, i happened to notice earlier today that today is what would have been the 80th birthday of President Omar Bongo of Gabon. I noticed it because I have his Daily Telegraph obituary on my bedroom wall (it's next to those of Gwyneth Dunwoody and Nicholas Fairbairn).

He was succeeded as President by his son, Ali Bongo.

As African Presidents go, he was quite decent. He preferred to bribe his opponents, rather than kill or imprison them.
  • Options
    perdix said:

ydoethur said:

surbiton said:

ydoethur said:

taffys said:

Letwin is very intelligent and honest with the truth but has a somewhat unworldly innocence.

He is very intelligent but naïve. So what is he doing in politics ? He is a time bomb ticking.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    BBC WatO hatchet job on Oliver Letwin right now. Dispiriting.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited December 2015
    2015 - not a bad year for a Spurs and English cricket supporting PB Tory betting against kippers and Team Ed & who got a superb new album from his fave band too....and saw them live. That exit poll at 10pm will take some beating however!! Fantasy footie coming right too vs a certain PB threadmaster also sees the year end high... I've not even mentioned the booming pensions advice market either or my profit on those annuity providers!
  • Options
    Why does the North get floods in the same places over and over again ? If it was Somerset Plains, something would have been done.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/weather/12073903/UK-floods-Storm-Frank-Sir-Philip-Dilley-live.html
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,820
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

JohnLoony said:

He was succeeded as President by his son, Ali Bongo.

As African Presidents go, he was quite decent. He preferred to bribe his opponents, rather than kill or imprison them.
    Bribing presumably helped with longevity and succession issues I imagine. Not that killing cannot manage that too of course.
This discussion has been closed.