Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Commons might be about to vote for Syrian air strikes b

Comments

• Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    That's really childish. He was playing with his phone throughout her speech - the camera angle at first looked like he was feeling the bumps of the head in front.

Team Labour at war illustrated

Sophie Wilkinson ‏@sophwilkinson 5 mins5 minutes ago
    FYI this seems to be Steve McCabe, Labour MP for Birmingham Selly Oak hiya @steve_mccabe

Sophie Wilkinson ‏@sophwilkinson 10 mins10 minutes ago
    More importantly ...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CVOd6U2XAAAjtVD.png

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CVOd6T-W4AAbmgA.png

• Options

She was pretty rude to me on Twitter and made misandist comments when she thought I was male. Then she blocked me.

I don't like her, but I'm surprised she's been alienating so many others too. She struck me as very full of herself.

Tom said:

MaxPB said:

dr_spyn said:
    There is clearly something deeply personal going on with Stella Creasy and the Left of the party.
    She is really out to the left as well so I don't understand the animosity. Maybe they see her as a potential rival to Corbyn.
    She is not well liked in the CLP by any part of the party - its not just the 3 quidders she's alienated most people. This has encouraged the ousters and according to NS there is some specific politics involving local councillors who have their eye on the seat.

Obviously not helped by the wider atmosphere in the Party and Jeremy (Kinder, Gentler, We don't do personalities, he shares his sandwiches) Corbyn's not so veiled threats yesterday and encouragement of Momentum by those around him.

Didn't know about that - I voted of her for DPL back in September, wish I hadn't now!
  • Options
    AJ doing a good turn - I noticed Keir Starmer actually listening to it.
  • Options

FYI this seems to be Steve McCabe, Labour MP for Birmingham Selly Oak hiya @steve_mccabe

More importantly ...

what an utter t***
    Surprised he didn't do the more mature hand-cranked "air raid siren" or "keyboard authorised" middle finger for that.
  • Options
    They do say one's opponents sit opposite one in the Commons, and one's enemies are sat behind one.
  • Options

That's really childish. He was playing with his phone throughout her speech - the camera angle at first looked like he was feeling the bumps of the head in front.

More importantly ...

What a total nasty pillock!
  • Options
    Ouch! Johnson!
  • Options
    KABOOM! Go Alan!!
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2015
    Indigo said:

Tell me again how the Conservatives feel about schools being controlled by LEAs ? Maybe not quite such fans of local government all the time ? Ok to say they are better not controlling schools in their area, but scandalous to say they can't fritter money on non-jobs. Really Mr N, you would argue black was white so long is the blue team wins the argument, don't pretend that principle, let alone Carswell's principle, a man you are usually happy to slag off, has anything to do with it.

What are you going on about? That's not so much a straw man as a straw army.

I'm in favour of head teachers and governors running schools, competing against other schools to drive up standards, with parents making the choice. More localism and more freedom from central control, not less. I'm very much in agreement with Douglas Carswell on that, I believe.

And no, I don't slag off Douglas Carswell. Feel free to search, but I don't think you'll find a single post of mine where I've criticised him. Like most Conservative supporters, I have a lot of time for him, and I agree with him on a lot. Where I don't agree with him, I respect his views, and he's always polite and serious, not reducing things to personalities or tribal nonsense. I hope he'll rejoin the Conservatives.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Good afternoon, everyone.

Watched a smidgen of the debate (with bad reception) whilst on the exercise bike. Not quite sure of Robertson's fixation on 70,000 helpful fellows on the ground.

Defeating Daesh won't sort out Syria by itself. Although the two are closely linked, they're not the same issue.

I think you have summd it up well. It's a necessary first step, not least because they are the ones fermenting terrorism abroad. The 70000 fixation seems a particularly desperate grasping at a particularly thin straw.
    No, it was Cameron's idiotic claim that there are 70,000 people on the ground willing to defeat ISIS. Half of those are just as bad as ISIS and the other half are only marginally better. Other than the Kurds, we have very few real allies in this fight. The FSA are mostly dead, the remnants are allied with al-Nusra, who now forms the main non-ISIS anti-Assad force. Cameron was wrong.
    Does it really matter who overthrows IS?
  • Options

More importantly ...

Let's not forget Tony Blair also had creative ways of communicating on camera;

http://jeroenarendsen.nl/2007/03/young-blairs-wanker-gesture-cover-up/
  • Options
    Alan Johnson - I wish I had the self righteousness certitude of our finger jabbing representatives of the new kinder politics
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,152
    edited December 2015
    Johnson very good speech, sits down with a pointed jab at the Labour leadership.
    Edit: @TSE got the quote.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556
    MaxPB said:

No, it was Cameron's idiotic claim that there are 70,000 people on the ground willing to defeat ISIS.

JIC not Cameron.

http://blogs.new.spectator.co.uk/2015/11/yes-there-are-70000-moderate-opposition-fighters-in-syria-heres-what-we-know-about-them/
  • Options
    I love this exchange:

2 Responses to “Young Blair’s Wanker Gesture Cover-Up”

1Lee Hutchinson:

October 18th, 2014 at 1:53 am

"Jeroen, as far as I’m aware, there are two main hypotheses that have been advanced to explain the meaning of Blair’s infamous wank gesture. One is the so-called “air guitar” hypothesis, and the other is the much more widely accepted “generic wanker” hypothesis. Neither of these are proven and nor are they likely to be correct (the “air guitar” notion is patently ludicrous). It strikes me that Blair is not so much saying “what a bunch of wankers we are”, as you have opined, but imperiously demanding that we, the viewer, fellate his cock. Thus, rather than boasting a lack of regard for decorum in a heroic act of enlightened self-deprecation, he is, in fact, very much upholding the dominant position of the rich elite - the sense being that receiver of his imaginary phallus is socially inferior to the imperious troupe of Oxford dining society toffs."

2Jeroen:

September 7th, 2015 at 9:37 pm

"Wanker."
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684

MaxPB said:

Watched a smidgen of the debate (with bad reception) whilst on the exercise bike. Not quite sure of Robertson's fixation on 70,000 helpful fellows on the ground.

Defeating Daesh won't sort out Syria by itself. Although the two are closely linked, they're not the same issue.

I think you have summd it up well. It's a necessary first step, not least because they are the ones fermenting terrorism abroad. The 70000 fixation seems a particularly desperate grasping at a particularly thin straw.
    No, it was Cameron's idiotic claim that there are 70,000 people on the ground willing to defeat ISIS. Half of those are just as bad as ISIS and the other half are only marginally better. Other than the Kurds, we have very few real allies in this fight. The FSA are mostly dead, the remnants are allied with al-Nusra, who now forms the main non-ISIS anti-Assad force. Cameron was wrong.
    If it's al-Nusra, yes. They are as bad as ISIS.
  • Options
    Julian Lewis exposing Cameron's bungling and incoherence.
  • Options

Mr Nabavi, this is what you said:

OK, we understand that you are violently against Douglas Carswell's views on local democracy

I'm very comfortable that is misrepresentation.

Well, you seemed to think that David Cameron should dictate to councils whether they should hire diversity officers or not. I hope I'm not misrepresenting you on that. Since Douglas Carswell is one of the foremost advocates of localism and local democracy, I'm pretty sure I'm not misrepresenting him in saying he wouldn't want the PM to dictate matters of detail like that, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Meanwhile, I'm agog to hear your no-doubt well-thought-out views on how the police should be supervised. At the risk of misrepresenting you, I think I've understood that you don't think PCCs are the optimal way, but we haven't heard what alternative you suggest.
    I find your stance extraordinary, as a tory I assumed you were in favour of a small state but no, non jobs are being justified. You are obfuscating over a simple issue which is the waste of money while the deficit is supposedly being cut. You can cite Carswell all you like, the PCC in Kent has been an expensive and failed experiment. Do we still have an IPCC?
    PCCs are small state. They are giving the public a direct choice over the person responsible for policing. It is not surprising it takes time for these things to bed in. I am sure there were lots of people in 1833 saying that the previous year's Great Reform Act was a disaster because of a few examples of corruption or laziness. It doesn't change the fact that overall greater accountability and localisation is a good thing.

It was one of Maggie's great failings that she centralised so much when she should have given local authorities more real responsibility and let them sink or swim on their own decisions.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

If it's al-Nusra, yes. They are as bad as ISIS.
    The Russians will then know where they are. If we are lucky, we can pull out the air support at the wrong moment and they might just annihilate each other.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

al-Nusra are also Islamists, this is their flag:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8e/Flag_of_the_Al-Nusra_Front.svg/200px-Flag_of_the_Al-Nusra_Front.svg.png
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    glw said:

MaxPB said:

No, it was Cameron's idiotic claim that there are 70,000 people on the ground willing to defeat ISIS.

JIC not Cameron.

http://blogs.new.spectator.co.uk/2015/11/yes-there-are-70000-moderate-opposition-fighters-in-syria-heres-what-we-know-about-them/
    That article reads like an extreme version of wishful thinking.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

No he isn't. He is grandstanding in his usual style. Selective use of anecdotes and not engaging with the core issues.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556
    MaxPB said:

glw said:

MaxPB said:

JIC not Cameron.

That article reads like an extreme version of wishful thinking.
    Perhaps it is but you are still wrong to attribute the 70,000 figure to Cameron.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

She was pretty rude to me on Twitter and made misandist comments when she thought I was male. Then she blocked me.

I don't like her, but I'm surprised she's been alienating so many others too. She struck me as very full of herself.

Tom said:

MaxPB said:

dr_spyn said:
    There is clearly something deeply personal going on with Stella Creasy and the Left of the party.
    She is really out to the left as well so I don't understand the animosity. Maybe they see her as a potential rival to Corbyn.
    She is not well liked in the CLP by any part of the party - its not just the 3 quidders she's alienated most people. This has encouraged the ousters and according to NS there is some specific politics involving local councillors who have their eye on the seat.

Obviously not helped by the wider atmosphere in the Party and Jeremy (Kinder, Gentler, We don't do personalities, he shares his sandwiches) Corbyn's not so veiled threats yesterday and encouragement of Momentum by those around him.

Didn't know about that - I voted of her for DPL back in September, wish I hadn't now!
    There you are, Sunil. In future before you vote for anyone you come and check with the grown-ups on PB.
  • Options
    I quite agree - he's clearly missing his true vocation treading the boards.

No he isn't. He is grandstanding in his usual style. Selective use of anecdotes and not engaging with the core issues.
  • Options

Cameron's bogus battalions. Memorable phrase from Lewis.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,051
    edited December 2015
    Betting post

Lord Ashcroft ‏@LordAshcroft 5m5 minutes ago

Republican leadership poll in USA. Trump 27% Rubio 17% Cruz 16% Carson 16% Bush 5%

Lay Bush, he is 8-1 or so on Betfair.

Cruz or Rubio look like the stop Trump candidate to me, and Carson hasn't died completely. His price is reflective of that though.
  • Options
    Yvette Cooper up next. She's also supporting the motion.
  • Options

Incoherently.....
  • Options
    I can't see Hilary Benn being in the Shadow Cabinet for much longer

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/672062146549821440
  • Options

MaxPB said:

al-Nusra are also Islamists, this is their flag:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8e/Flag_of_the_Al-Nusra_Front.svg/200px-Flag_of_the_Al-Nusra_Front.svg.png
    Nusra are al-Qaeda I believe. But useful people to go into battle against IS, as IS will give no quarter and I am sure Nusra will return the compliment. We wouldn't get away with it. We can then hand them to the Russians on a plate.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited December 2015

*snips video to avoid thread cloggage*

Never had a lot of time for AJ, but that was a slice of fried gold.
  • Options

Cameron's bogus battalions. Memorable phrase from Lewis.
    No it isn't. It is an attempt at a rhetorical flourish that is as empty as the rest of his comments.

How he ever got to be chair of a key Select Committee, I really don't know.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    John Harris in Oldham:

"Oldham byelection: Corbynmania collides with reality – video"

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/video/2015/dec/02/oldham-byelection-corbymania-collides-reality-video?CMP=share_btn_tw
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    edited December 2015
    MaxPB said:

If there are 70 or 10, the first step is to remove ISIS and stop them funding spreading and enacting terrorism.
    Thereafter what happens is not in our sole gift, we are part of a UN mandated multinational 60 nation strong coalition. We have an intelligent ability to influence and make a contribution to that.
    I do not think anyone is suggesting that this will happen overnight, it will take a long time. The terrible but in the current context relatively benign Irish troubles lasted 30 years.
  • Options
    @mattsmithetc: As with Jeremy Corbyn for Labour, Tim Farron is also off to the worst start of any Lib Dem leader (net satisfaction)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CVOlyY8WUAIkA6H.png
  • Options
    Just received word The Sunil on Sunday comes out in favour of British action

"Bombing IS only in Iraq, but not in Syria would be like the Allies fighting the Nazis only in Italy, but not in France."
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Anorak said:

Yes. The sensible few in the Labour party are doing themselves proud this afternoon. Their guarded support for the government's motion is welcome.

Massive contrast with the front bench.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,267

Alan Johnson - I wish I had the self righteousness certitude of our finger jabbing representatives of the new kinder politics

A sharp knife between the shoulder blades.

• Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

Claiming not exposing.

• Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited December 2015
    AndyJS said:

John Harris in Oldham:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/video/2015/dec/02/oldham-byelection-corbymania-collides-reality-video?CMP=share_btn_tw

Woman at 2m50s on Corbyn:
    - I can't say what I want to say.
    - You can say what you like.
    - He's a knob head.

LOLOL
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Just watch the video I've posted down below
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Floater said:

FFS

Harry Cole
    Mark Serwotka said of targeting MPs homes: "We would like to see more of this kind of community campaigning, linking up with unions"

This is the new politics in truth.

Ugly and going to get brutal
    Violence is seemingly inevitable
    Sadly, I cannot disagree.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

I think I'm doing an Alan Johnson as next Labour leader thread for Sunday.
  • Options
    This means Remain is nailed onto win now

@pswidlicki: Prof Curtice: average Remain supporter matches social profile of Tory voter, average Leave supporter matches social profile of Labour voter
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Last night's YG Labour sample

May 2015 voters: 456
    Nov 2015 voters: 407
    Retention: 89.2%

That implies 27% rather the published 30%
  • Options
    Terrorist sympathisers?

HuffPostUKPol · 2m2 minutes ago
    Sinn Féin MP says Syria bombing is 'Brits back to what they do best, murder' http://huff.to/1OFWdAH

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Sky News report from Oldham:

"I bump into Nigel Farage pounding the aisles at Tommyfield Market, in the centre of Oldham's shopping district.
    He's mobbed by people wanting to shake his hand. Jeremy Corbyn is a "gift" to UKIP on the doorstep, he tells me. "I just need him to stay as Labour leader!"
    One former Labour voter, running a mattress shop, agrees. "He should be a vicar or something," he tells me. "He’s just not a leader."
    A mixed race couple doing their Christmas shopping tell me they are "tempted" by UKIP. They are strongly in support of military action in Syria, and are turned off by Jeremy Corbyn's opposition. They tell me they don't feel safe going on holiday anymore, and are worried about a flight connection in Turkey en route to their holiday in Bali. "We've tried to change it, but we can’t. Terrorists shouldn't be able to make us feel like this. It's not right. We've got to do something about it."

http://news.sky.com/story/1598406/farage-corbyn-is-a-gift-to-us-in-oldham
  • Options

@pswidlicki: Prof Curtice: average Remain supporter matches social profile of Tory voter, average Leave supporter matches social profile of Labour voter

@stephenkb: Good news for pro-Europeans, worrying news for many Labour MPs fearing Ukip.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Floater said:

FFS

Harry Cole
    Mark Serwotka said of targeting MPs homes: "We would like to see more of this kind of community campaigning, linking up with unions"

It will start with increasing violence against property - and we have already seen that sort of mob action. And then they will target people in a direct fashion.

Scary times
  • Options

@mattsmithetc: As with Jeremy Corbyn for Labour, Tim Farron is also off to the worst start of any Lib Dem leader (net satisfaction)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CVOlyY8WUAIkA6H.png

The big problem is has is that the centre of gravity of Lib Dem power is now in the Lords.

I doubt Farron's edicts have much currency with the grand 100 in the Lords.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,774
    edited December 2015
    Could not have happened to a nicer company

@CourtNewsUK: Payday lender Wonga scammed out of £3million when they failed to spot 19,000 loan applications all used the password bengali90
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

Cyclefree said:

TSE Aaarrgghhh can't find it. Please repost
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, Corbyn's election is the black swan that could resurrect UKIP's prospects after a bad General Election result and the nonsense of Farage's non-resignation.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

AndyJS said:

John Harris in Oldham:

- He's a knob head.

LOLOL
    The John Harris videos are very good. The GE ones he had it sussed way before the "pollsters".
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

Cyclefree said:

TSE Aaarrgghhh can't find it. Please repost
    Is posted at 2.33pm
  • Options
    Why doesn't Corbyn publicly rein in his attack dogs?

Even Nicola Sturgeon managed to rebuke the Waffen YesYes.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Hearing unconfirmed reports the PLP is to try and hold a vote on replacing Corbyn with an animatronic dog called Flopsy.

Whilst incapable of enunciating spoken words, Flopsy has an impeccable record when it comes to opposing terrorism. Superior toilet training also means he is unlikely to shit all over his colleagues. Unlike the incumbent.

Brilliant!
  • Options
    In response to this tweet

@georgeeaton: Yvette Cooper backs air strikes. Burnham's position still unknown.

Keiran Pedley says

Andy Burnham like the man desperately trying to figure out which way the wind is blowing in a hurricane..
  • Options
    edited December 2015

@CourtNewsUK: Payday lender Wonga scammed out of £3million when they failed to spot 19,000 loan applications all used the password bengali90

Are they saying that the passwords were saved in plain text? That would be a big story.
    If the passwords were strongly encrypted as I would expect, then it wouldn't have expected to have been noticed on the inside, as they would all look different in the database.

Edit: the banks need to do better in tracking fraudulent payments, they go on about Know Your Customer, yet when someone is scammed the bank seems to be unable to trace the money to an identifiable individual.
  • Options

@georgeeaton: Yvette Cooper backs air strikes. Burnham's position still unknown.

Keiran Pedley says

Andy Burnham like the man desperately trying to figure out which way the wind is blowing in a hurricane..

They don't call him Flip Flop for nothing...he really is useless.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474

Floater said:

Floater said:

FFS

Harry Cole

It will start with increasing violence against property - and we have already seen that sort of mob action. And then they will target people in a direct fashion.

Scary times
    Anti Terrorism laws will deal them.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Last night's YG Labour sample

May 2015 voters: 456
    Nov 2015 voters: 407
    Retention: 89.2%

That implies 27% rather the published 30%

Nah, there has been a similar swing to Labour since the election from Con, LD, and UKIP
  • Options

Floater said:

Floater said:

FFS

Harry Cole

Scary times
    Shocking. Serwotka is inciting to violence. He should be arrested. It does look like labour is descending into mob rule. There is a long tradition of this. A Frenchman was lynched following the great fire of London. This is where weakminded ignorance leads.
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:
    Press the blue arrow thingy in the middle and it'll play
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Are they saying that the passwords were saved in plain text? That would be a big story.
    If the passwords were strongly encrypted as I would expect, then it wouldn't have expected to have been noticed on the inside, as they would all look different in the database.

Edit: the banks need to do better in tracking fraudulent payments, they go on about Know Your Customer, yet when someone is scammed the bank seems to be unable to trace the money to an identifiable individual.
    Not sure, I think IOS is working for them, faulty algorithms

Fraudsters conned "controversial" payday lender Wonga out of £3m by stealing the identities of thousands of innocent people, a court heard.

The alleged criminal gang made more than 19,000 applications for money to be paid into bank accounts under their control by exploiting the company's faulty website algorithms, it has been claimed.

Wonga also failed to spot that all of the fraudulent applications used the same password 'Bengali90', jurors were told.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/alleged-fraudsters-conned-wonga-out-6802680
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    edited December 2015
    Blue_rog said:
    Apologies TSE, I had to disable Kaspersky before I saw anything :blush:

• Options

Erm no it doesn't.

Just because Remain supporters are most like Tories doesn't mean the reverse - that Tories are more likely to be Remain supporters. You could have 100% of Remain supporters as Tories but that says nothing about how many Tories are Remain supporters.

Basic Set Theory
  • Options
    It also seems that Labour’s support for airstrikes against ISIS in Iraq, which the party voted for last year, could be under review. A senior figure in the leader’s office said that Corbyn is “questioning whether this is the right way to go”,

http://labourlist.org/2015/12/syria-vote-liveblog/
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Sandpit said:

Fraudsters conned "controversial" payday lender Wonga out of £3m by stealing the identities of thousands of innocent people, a court heard.

The alleged criminal gang made more than 19,000 applications for money to be paid into bank accounts under their control by exploiting the company's faulty website algorithms, it has been claimed.

Wonga also failed to spot that all of the fraudulent applications used the same password 'Bengali90', jurors were told.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/alleged-fraudsters-conned-wonga-out-6802680

I agree with Sandpit. There's no way you should be able to see your users' passwords - they all (should be) one-way encrypted or 'hashed'.

• Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited December 2015
    Sandpit said:

They probably store them as a hash with a static salt, so they would all look the same, and the do authentication by comparing hashes of candidate passwords. Even so they still should not know what the plain text password is. But this is a reporter commenting after the fact, they will have found out what the password was as part of the investigation, probably from interviewing a suspect (although a brute force/dictionary crack of a small key-space like this wont take that long) and then noticed lots of applications had the same hash, and hence the same password.
  • Options

Erm no it doesn't.

Just because Remain supporters are most like Tories doesn't mean the reverse - that Tories are more likely to be Remain supporters. You could have 100% of Remain supporters as Tories but that says nothing about how many Tories are Remain supporters.

Basic Set Theory
    I took it to mean Remain voters are more likely to vote, Leave not as likely to vote.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited December 2015
    Slightly off topic

Gary Neville is the new Valencia manager!

Gutted, I loved him and Carra on MNF
  • Options
    Ouch!

Nigel Dodds DUP calls for every "credible political leader" to back our forces if the vote supports action.
  • Options

Keiran Pedley says

Lololol!! And to think this invertebrate was once favourite for leader.
  • Options
    I do hope Corbyn had the permission of that Syrian family whose name he mentioned in Parliament. There could be trouble ahead otherwise........
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited December 2015
    Cyclefree said:

I do hope Corbyn had the permission of that Syrian family whose name he mentioned in Parliament. There could be trouble ahead otherwise........

I'd imagine they're in trouble now, poor sods. Such a stupid man. The Security Services are right to be concerned about information leaking from briefings.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

AndyJS said:

John Harris in Oldham:

- He's a knob head.

LOLOL
    It's looking good for a labour defeat on that basis. Shame, I'd like to see Corbyn stay a while longer. I suppose it's small comfort to know that labour are hopelessly messily split.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

I rather like AJ. He recently did a good documentary on the Post Office which was very watchable and interesting.

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited December 2015

It also seems that Labour’s support for airstrikes against ISIS in Iraq, which the party voted for last year, could be under review. A senior figure in the leader’s office said that Corbyn is “questioning whether this is the right way to go”,

http://labourlist.org/2015/12/syria-vote-liveblog/

That's an intriguing one.

We have been invited in by the democratically elected Iraqi government as a result of a hostile force, there are no known civilian casualties, IS are supposedly losing territory and there has been no domestic repercussion.

• Options
    Mr. Royale, as a wise one young morris dancer once said:
    Andy Burnham is a lightweight.

Said that when Brown was still PM and some people seemed impressed by Burnham for reasons that escaped me.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Whoops. Pleased I'm not their CTO, I assume he got a P45 when the fraud came to light.

I'm actually in two minds about the payday loan companies. They provide a legal service which would be replaced with illegal services if they were curtailed, but they are corporate scumbags none the less.
  • Options

But Remain is younger than Leave, no?
  • Options

Erm no it doesn't.

Basic Set Theory
    I took it to mean Remain voters are more likely to vote, Leave not as likely to vote.
    Ah apologies. Totally misread that.
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    edited December 2015

Just received word The Sunil on Sunday comes out in favour of British action

"Bombing IS only in Iraq, but not in Syria would be like the Allies fighting the Nazis only in Italy, but not in France."

The analogy is that we bombed the Germans in France not just Germany.
    The other comparison is to say that Corbyn's policy is like rewarding Hitler for invading Poland
  • Options
    Did Farron just say he was supporting the government? Wow!
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,322

Not sure why the Kurds would be buying oil from IS when they are having problems with selling enough of the stuff they are producing themselves. The Kurds are having to suspend production because they can't transport or sell the oil they produce from their own very extensive oil fields. And shutting down and restarting production is a hugely costly and potentially very damaging operation.

Yet that is what the media say is happening.

There are several possible answers to your question:

1) They are not, as you say.
    2) It is not the 'government' doing it, but smugglers within their borders.
    3) The ISIS oil is cheaper than Kurdistan's own production, because they are selling it at a discount.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/isis-making-50-million-a-month-from-oil-sales-2015-10?r=US&IR=T
    On the last point it doesn't matter. IS could be almost giving the stuff away and it would still be a bad move economically for the Kurds to buy it if it means shutting down their own production. Shutting in oil wells is not just a case of turning off a tap. It is a long and quite costly process and if done wrong can kill an oil field permanently.

As I say the Kurds are having trouble selling their own oil so I simply don't believe that they would be buying IS oil to sell on. It doesn't make sense in either the short, medium or long term. Smuggling is as you say a possibility but I would also question the sources that are claiming this is happening - particularly given that the Turks are so opposed to the Kurds and have every reason to undermine and discredit them.
    It might be a mistake to assume 'Kurd' = Kurdish government, in the same way 'Turk' = Turkish government or, 'British' = British government. The 'they' you mentioned might be working in their own interests, and not of their state. As most smugglers do.

There are lots of reports saying it is happening. They might be wrong, or those reports might all resolve down to one or two erroneous sources. But if ISIS is selling oil at rock-bottom prices then it makes sense for there to be buyers, even if they are non-governmental.

Also, the Kurdish government is selling oil anyway (especially after their bust-up with the government in Baghdad over it), and it is easier to 'hide' oil if you are already dealing in it.

As for your last point: allegedly even Israelis are buying ISIS oil. Again, if it's cheaper than 'official' oil, there will be a market, even in countries that are opposed to you. Also remember these networks had experience of smuggling oil under Saddam during sanctions as well.

I'm very doubtful it is as cut and dried as you claim.
  • Options

Mr. Royale, as a wise one young morris dancer once said:
    Andy Burnham is a lightweight.

Said that when Brown was still PM and some people seemed impressed by Burnham for reasons that escaped me.

It is the same as David Miliband. There is evidence to equate the calls that he would so how be an excellent leader.
  • Options

Erm no it doesn't.

Basic Set Theory
    Ah apologies. Totally misread that.
    It's ok, I posted only one tweet from a series of tweet. If I had posted the others it would have been clearer.
  • Options
    I'm liking Farron
  • Options
    William_H said:

But Remain is younger than Leave, no?
    Generally yes
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, it was decided yesterday, I think, that the Lib Dems would support air strikes (which surprised me).
  • Options
    watford30 said:

Cyclefree said:

I'd imagine they're in trouble now, poor sods. Such a stupid man. The Security Services are right to be concerned about information leaking from briefings.
    I very much doubt that he is being given any useful intelligence by the Security Services. They're probably too busy monitoring him and his friends and their accounts; see my post on this from last night.

But for someone who claims to be worried about innocent civilians in Syria being killed putting out the name of their relatives here without their express consent (if that is the case) would be a new low, even for a man of such poor judgment as him.

• Options
    I hope Curtice "profiling" isn't based on anything to do with YouGov. Dave Gorman's pi$$ take episode is both funny and rather worrying.
  • Options

I'm liking Farron

Did you think you'd be saying that today?
    It appears that the whole Commons - bar Corbyn and his clique - are now in favour of the motion.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Yes, it was a bit of a surprise – Good on him tho, I wonder what Lamb would have done.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Yes - he set out his reasons last night:

http://www.libdemvoice.org/tim-farrons-email-to-party-members-48480.html
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    SKY have Carswell voting agains tthe Govt. motion. Is that right?
This discussion has been closed.