Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Commons might be about to vote for Syrian air strikes b

SystemSystem Posts: 11,691
edited December 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Commons might be about to vote for Syrian air strikes but the public is becoming less convinced

As we come to the crucial Commons vote on Syria there’s new YouGov polling in the Times this morning that suggests that support for British action is declining with, now, fewer than half of those sampled approving. YouGov had this at 48%.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Every poll so far shows more people in favour than not
  • Options
    Second! Like UKIP in Oldham
  • Options
    And I see Corbyn is determined to keep 'terrorist sympathisers' in the headlines.....of questionable wisdom......
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    I'm not in favou of bombing, it is a brutal activity.

However I think we should do it.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    FPT;

Roger..Cameron was absolutely right tho..

What I find astonishing is that Dave's starting to believe his own bullshit - and he's rolling it out against his allies.

His back isn't even against the wall.

Its odd.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    6th like the LDs in Oldham!
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    FPT but more relevant here.........

I've just heard Cameron's remarks about going into the lobby with terrorists....what a piece of work...... Just after I'd thought he'd begun to look like Prime Minister.

First impressions are often the most accurate. A two faced insincere dilettante. His one time membership of the Bullingdon Club told us everything we needed to know......
  • Options
    I think we've had enough of these air strikes in the Middle East. Cameron's Blair-like enthusiasm for violence rather than diplomacy in foreign affairs is a stain on his reputation.
  • Options
    @BBCNormanS: Labour MP @JohnMannMP calls for party activists abusing pro war Labour MPs on Twitter to face immediate expulsion from the party
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

6th like the LDs in Oldham!

Optimist! I wonder if there are any remaining pacifist LibDems who will be alienated by Farron coming out for bombing?
  • Options

I think we've had enough of these air strikes in the Middle East. Cameron's Blair-like enthusiasm for violence rather than diplomacy in foreign affairs is a stain on his reputation.

Ridiculous. What is your negotiation strategy for dealing with ISIS?
  • Options
    @stephenkb: Stella Creasy targeted for deselection in Walthamstow: https://t.co/rkTEB46YUt
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    After the French attacks there was a knee jerk reaction, now more sober thinking is taking place. However we have to support our allies. there is no option however much reservation there may be.

We should never have gone into Iraq, Afghanistan, or touched Libya.. leave well alone.. Far more die now than ever did under the dictators.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Roger said:

I've just heard Cameron's remarks about going into the lobby with terrorists....what a piece of work...... Just after I'd thought he'd begun to look like Prime Minister.

First impressions are often the most accurate. A two faced insincere dilettante. His one time membership of the Bullingdon Club told us everything we needed to know......

the obverse is with your calls Roger, you are always wrong, and now its just personal prejudice.
  • Options
    FPT:
    Roger said:

I've just heard Cameron's remarks about going into the lobby with terrorists....

Terrorist sympathisers - it may be an unpleasant charge, but there is a cornucopia of evidence to back it up.....particularly in the case of Corbyn & McMao......

Of course there will be many MPs who have grappled with this sincerely and concluded that bombing is wrong - but I very much doubt Corbyn approached it with anything like an open mind - and in his case, I fear the charge has some justification....
  • Options
    @LBC: Dan Jarvis tells LBC the abuse that he and other pro-air strike Labour MPs have received is “shameful" https://t.co/q3Q12Ldjz6
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@stephenkb: Stella Creasy targeted for deselection in Walthamstow: https://t.co/rkTEB46YUt

There is no hiding.......
  • Options
    Roger said:

It wasn't see long ago that Dave attended "terrorist" Nelson Mandela's funeral.
  • Options
    @MrJacHart: Remember the good old days when the Leader of the Opposition's main problem was he couldn't eat a bacon sandwich elegantly... #JezWeCan
  • Options
    I agree Mike.

IMHO, a good chunk of people opposed to military action are confusing two things: (1) that targeted military strikes against ISIS, its leaders, and its infrastructure are necessary to degrade its ability to organise and operate against us, and therefore reduce its threat to us in the West, but won't solve the problems in Syria and (2) that war is the solution to Syria's problems.

You can believe (1) - and I do, the allied strikes in Iraq have had great effect and it's madness we can't carry them over the border into Syria - without endorsing (2).
  • Options

Only a couple of years back imbecile Cameron was planning on siding with ISIS to oust Assad. Dave's a clown on the global stage.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I still don't understand this. From my perspective she's about as left-wing as they come.
  • Options

You can believe (1) - and I do, the allied strikes in Iraq have had great effect and it's madness we can't carry them over the border into Syria - without endorsing (2).

Quite - and a lot of (2) ends up in endless whataboutary.......
  • Options
    FPT

Carlotta

"Terrorist sympathisers - it may be an unpleasant charge, but there is a cornucopia of evidence to back it up.....particularly in the case of Corbyn & McMao......"

I think you might be right about Corbyn and a few others but that doesn't make it any less crass. Any thinking person can see It's a difficult and balanced decision which is why such a brutal and insensitive comment jars so badly.

He has this achilles heel. He can be very crude and fake
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Jezza is a pacifist to the core. In that sense, he's a Quaker, but he won't admit it. No matter what the justification, he would be against violence.

He presented seven questions to be answered knowing that even if they were answered, he'd still be against. However, if the violence is against his enemies, he'd approve - in that sense, he isn't like a Quaker, he's just a hypocrite.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,360

Only a couple of years back imbecile Cameron was planning on siding with ISIS to oust Assad. Dave's a clown on the global stage.
    at that time there was more of a "moderate" FSA than there is today and Assad was just thought to have used chemical weapons on his enemies.

Today the situation is different and IS occupy significant territory from where they pose a risk to us.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,048
    Roger said:

FPT

Carlotta

"Terrorist sympathisers - it may be an unpleasant charge, but there is a cornucopia of evidence to back it up.....particularly in the case of Corbyn & McMao......"

I think you might be right about Corbyn and a few others but that doesn't make it any less crass. Any thinking person can see It's a difficult and balanced decision which is why such a brutal and insensitive comment jars so badly.

My reply fpt:

Corbyn's track record indicates it is not a difficult and balanced decision for him: he is anti-war. His difficulty is in trying to persuade other Labour MPs of his views, which is an entirely different matter.

In fact, if he had a more balanced view on it, he might find it easier to persuade them to vote against. Instead, he has to cast-iron certainty of his own conviction, which is not an argument that particularly wins other people over.

It'd also be easier for him if he had a better and more thought-out alternative plan.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I still don't understand this. From my perspective she's about as left-wing as they come.
    If you don't acknowledge that Corbyn is the Messiah you are a heretic and should be burned at the stake and ejected from the Labour Party.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    I think we should do absolutely nothing in Syria..leave ISIS to get on with its business...we should just wait for the next atrocity to take place and then do a lot of weeping and wailing..that should do the trick.. ..
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,332
    As I said last night this vote is being ridiculously oversold. We are already bombing Daesh, have been for over a year. We are talking about extending the field of our very modest operations across a boundary our enemy does not recognise. Our proposal to do so is backed by a unanimous UN resolution and is already being done by our allies. If this was the scope of the proposal it is barely worth talking about.

The reality is that Corbyn's opposition is not to this utterly trivial step but to our armed intervention in total. He thinks we can negotiate and reason with these people and that this is a better solution than trying to destroy them. Events have not moved in his favour in recent times.

When this is approved today we will start to bomb targets in Syria. By Christmas the number of bombs dropped in Syria on our very tight rules of engagement may well have reached double figures although my guess is that might be a close run thing.

Will this have made a material difference? Of course not. But we will have shown ourselves to be a faithful ally, to have complied with our duties as a UN Security Council permanent member and we will have marginally more input in the policy going forward without being any more than bit players in all of this.

We really need to get over ourselves. The world is not waiting with bated breath on our deliberations on this. We are making ourselves look more than just a bit silly.
  • Options

@OneLifeStand87: @stephenkb I'm starting to think Momentum just don't like women. Always seems they get more shit from them for some reason.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    I just heard someone repeat Cameron's line about "70,000 fighting on the ground" but now it's morphed into "an army of 70,000 fighting on our side".

This is what happens when important decisions become politicized. I suspect the same happened in Iraq. Loose words led to suspect decisions which hopefully will be disseminated by Chilcott
  • Options
    It's not a straightforward decision, but the claims that somehow bombing in Syria is "starting a war" is ludicrous. We're already bombing Iraq and the border is just another patch of sand to Isis.

To be consistent, we should bomb Isis wherever they are, or not at all. The situation in Syria is fluid and next year, it could be different. But Isis won't be different, we'll still be at war with them..
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    CD13 said:

Jezza is a pacifist to the core. In that sense, he's a Quaker, but he won't admit it. No matter what the justification, he would be against violence.

He presented seven questions to be answered knowing that even if they were answered, he'd still be against. However, if the violence is against his enemies, he'd approve - in that sense, he isn't like a Quaker, he's just a hypocrite.

Jezza is not a pacifist. He said so himself on Marr on Sunday.

There are genuine Christian (and other religious groups) who are pacifist on religious principle and very different to Corbyn.
  • Options
    The only thing I have against Laura Kuenssberg is that her surname is ridiculously hard to spell.

Other than that she is the best political correspondent the BBC has had for a long time asking intelligent, penetrating questions of all the participants, not letting herself be fobbed off and making clear and useful summaries to camera. All whilst avoiding the gratuitous rudeness of the male macho school of journalism. A real step up for the BBC.
  • Options

I blame Tony for this mess. I was against the Iraq war because Saddam being one dictator out of many didn't seem enough reason to start a war. He wasn't an Islamist as such.

But I sort of hoped that Tony knew more than he was saying, perhaps being inhibited by security issues to say too much. In fact, he knew less than he was saying, and that was unforgivable.

In Syria, there's no obvious end-game but there is a definite threat. It's completely different.

• Options
    Moniker

"It wasn't see long ago that Dave attended "terrorist" Nelson Mandela's funeral."

Correct. You can't escape the feeling that he'd have had his chauffeur waiting outside with a change of costume in case the mood changed mid service.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,472

CD13 said:

Jezza is not a pacifist. He said so himself on Marr on Sunday.

There are genuine Christian (and other religious groups) who are pacifist on religious principle and very different to Corbyn.
    Corbyn isn't anti-war. He supports a variety of groups using violence the acheive their aims. It is just the UK using violence in any circumstances he doesn't like.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    DavidL said:

As I said last night this vote is being ridiculously oversold. We are already bombing Daesh, have been for over a year. We are talking about extending the field of our very modest operations across a boundary our enemy does not recognise. Our proposal to do so is backed by a unanimous UN resolution and is already being done by our allies. If this was the scope of the proposal it is barely worth talking about.

The reality is that Corbyn's opposition is not to this utterly trivial step but to our armed intervention in total. He thinks we can negotiate and reason with these people and that this is a better solution than trying to destroy them. Events have not moved in his favour in recent times.

When this is approved today we will start to bomb targets in Syria. By Christmas the number of bombs dropped in Syria on our very tight rules of engagement may well have reached double figures although my guess is that might be a close run thing.

Will this have made a material difference? Of course not. But we will have shown ourselves to be a faithful ally, to have complied with our duties as a UN Security Council permanent member and we will have marginally more input in the policy going forward without being any more than bit players in all of this.

We really need to get over ourselves. The world is not waiting with bated breath on our deliberations on this. We are making ourselves look more than just a bit silly.

It is clearly the next step on a slippery slope to British ground forces getting involved in a Syrian Civil war. That is what should be being debated. Are we really committed to getting involved, or are we just going to whack the wasps nest a few times then turn tail and run, like we did in Iraq, Helmand and Libya?

An Iraqi friend told me an interesting old Iraqi saying "It is better to be an enemy of the British than their friend. They buy their enemies and sell their friends". Sadly this is all too true.

• Options
    Roger said:

I just heard someone repeat Cameron's line about "70,000 fighting on the ground" but now it's morphed into "an army of 70,000 fighting on our side".

This is what happens when important decisions become politicized. I suspect the same happened in Iraq. Loose words led to suspect decisions which hopefully will be disseminated by Chilcott

It is a shame and was an error to promote the "70,000". But there is a difference vs Iraq.

Here, we want to degrade and deter IS. Will there be ground forces there to take and hold ground afterwards? Maybe. But the tactical aim remains to degrade and deter regardless.

In Iraq, take away the 45 min/dodgy dossier and there was no cassus belli.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

I blame Tony for this mess. I was against the Iraq war because Saddam being one dictator out of many didn't seem enough reason to start a war. He wasn't an Islamist as such.

But I sort of hoped that Tony knew more than he was saying, perhaps being inhibited by security issues to say too much. In fact, he knew less than he was saying, and that was unforgivable.

In Syria, there's no obvious end-game but there is a definite threat. It's completely different.

I completely agree. It is the lies Blair told about Iraq (along with the cowardice that would not let the British army do its job in the aftermath) that has made people so cautious and unsure of anything our government says and does. It is a shameful legacy.
  • Options

DavidL said:

It is clearly the next step on a slippery slope to British ground forces getting involved in a Syrian Civil war. That is what should be being debated. Are we really committed to getting involved, or are we just going to whack the wasps nest a few times then turn tail and run, like we did in Iraq, Helmand and Libya?

An Iraqi friend told me an interesting old Iraqi saying "It is better to be an enemy of the British than their friend. They buy their enemies and sell their friends". Sadly this is all too true.

We are doing the same thing in Iraq right now, and have been for quite a while. No ground element apart from some members of the Hereford Hunting club. Incidentally, did you know that McIRA wanted to abolish the SAS as well as MI5?
  • Options
    1/2 A brief anecdote via a Facebook conversation I've just had with a well-meaning Green 38-Deg friend:

Her (posting 38 Deg 'Please don't bomb Syria' article): "Lets do something if you don't want another war. x"

Me: "There is already another war. It's been going on for four years and last month ISIS and their supporters brought it to Paris and killed 130 people - they would have killed many more had it not been for the vigilance of some brave security guards at the football match. They are no more interested in compromise than were the Nazis, whom they closely resemble: they view it as weakness. They want war and they want to destroy everything we as a society hold dear - freedom of speech, of choice, of religion, of association, of thought; rights of women and minorities, democracy, the right to a night in in front of the TV, and so on. We have a choice: we can either confront them or we can let others do it for us. That to me is an abrogation of our duty as a civilised and powerful country. I do have reservations about the lack of a clear plan for afterwards but that can be sorted out in the weeks and months ahead. In the mean time, I think it would be morally wrong not to take action against this vicious, evil, murderous regime."

Her: "I hear your view David Herdson but I believe we had a part to play in creating Isis by bombing their homes and destroying their lives and families. So will this cycle of revenge and hate ever stop if we keep playing a game of tit for tat. It certainly didn't work in Ireland did it. What about all the innocent families that get killed in our revenge hunt is that irrelevant? Do we become the evil ones then for murdering innovent people in the name of revenge. This is a strong topic and i appreciate we all will feel differently. Allow me my opinion as I allow you yours. xx"
  • Options
    2/2

Me: "I certainly 'allow' your opinion - all opinions should be heard and expressed in a democracy; I just disagree with it. (For what it's worth, ISIS wouldn't allow your opinion: as a woman, you wouldn't be allowed an opinion at all). This is not about revenge on the part of ISIS or the West - ISIS and other groups like them want to destroy the West: they hate what we stand for and hate even more the success and power that comes with it. They will never stop while they have the chance; there is no reasoning with them. If there were a political route to peace I would be more than happy to take it but I'd challenge anyone to suggest how it could be done when all the evidence is that they don't want it. On your points, when was ISIS created when we bombed their homes and families? They came first - to the extent that the West has been involved, that came after. Ireland came to peace when the IRA recognised that they could not win the war through violence and the UK government was prepared to enter talks without preconditions; there is no parallel in Syria: no side is prepared to enter talks without the other surrendering. It's always a tragedy when innocent people lose their lives but that is already happening now at the hands of ISIS and other groups; our not being involved won't stop it. Getting involved in WWII resulted in millions of innocent people dying but it was still the right decision. Hitler could not have been stopped any other way and the same is true in Syria. In fact, the crucial distinction is that the West does *not* murder innocent families, unlike ISIS and their followers; the military go out of their way to try to avoid killing innocents and certainly do not do it on purpose (which is the definition of murder). As you say, there are strong emotions on each side and I respect that some, including you, passionately believe in what you say for the best reasons - wanting to save life and minimise hate. If I thought that were possible, I'd be with you - but I'm afraid I don't. Love and respect, David."

Her: "I hear you David Herdson and can tell your passionate about your views. I feel hate and violence breeds more of it. I hope another way becomes clear. xx"
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,053
    edited December 2015
    The fact that the public still backs airstrikes by a 17% margin, 48% to 31%, suggests that they are pretty convinced of the case but want to be certain it will be supporting forces on the ground. The fact Labour voters are opposed though suggests Corbyn is right to speak and vote against airstrikes though even if he allows his MPs a free vote
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,030

Not half as stupid as yours, what is your plan for not killing civilians, you going to ask ISIS to wear red hats or something. Halfwits sitting in their armchair slavering to drop bombs from the sky indiscriminately is as stupid as you get.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946

Scott_P said:

She gets things done (even when Labour are not in govt).

Can't have that in the Labour party, what?

Incidentally, I'd say more paternalist than left wing. I'd vote for her. Can't stand the pay day loan industry.
  • Options

2/2

Me: "I certainly 'allow' your opinion - all opinions should be heard and expressed in a democracy; I just disagree with it. (For what it's worth, ISIS wouldn't allow your opinion: as a woman, you wouldn't be allowed an opinion at all). This is not about revenge on the part of ISIS or the West - ISIS and other groups like them want to destroy the West: they hate what we stand for and hate even more the success and power that comes with it. They will never stop while they have the chance; there is no reasoning with them. If there were a political route to peace I would be more than happy to take it but I'd challenge anyone to suggest how it could be done when all the evidence is that they don't want it. On your points, when was ISIS created when we bombed their homes and families? They came first - to the extent that the West has been involved, that came after. Ireland came to peace when the IRA recognised that they could not win the war through violence and the UK government was prepared to enter talks without preconditions; there is no parallel in Syria: no side is prepared to enter talks without the other surrendering. It's always a tragedy when innocent people lose their lives but that is already happening now at the hands of ISIS and other groups; our not being involved won't stop it. Getting involved in WWII resulted in millions of innocent people dying but it was still the right decision. Hitler could not have been stopped any other way and the same is true in Syria. In fact, the crucial distinction is that the West does *not* murder innocent families, unlike ISIS and their followers; the military go out of their way to try to avoid killing innocents and certainly do not do it on purpose (which is the definition of murder). As you say, there are strong emotions on each side and I respect that some, including you, passionately believe in what you say for the best reasons - wanting to save life and minimise hate. If I thought that were possible, I'd be with you - but I'm afraid I don't. Love and respect, David."

Her: "I hear you David Herdson and can tell your passionate about your views. I feel hate and violence breeds more of it. I hope another way becomes clear. xx"

Without violence from us the Yazidi would have been exterminated in Iraq.
  • Options

DavidL said:

For sure it will be the latter, all they will achieve other than photo ops for Cameron is creation of more nutters desperate to return some bombs to us.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

CD13 said:

I completely agree. It is the lies Blair told about Iraq (along with the cowardice that would not let the British army do its job in the aftermath) that has made people so cautious and unsure of anything our government says and does. It is a shameful legacy.
    Dave "heir to Blair" Cameron is a manifestation of that shameful legacy. If anything I find Cameron more egregious than Blair.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    I do pity the remaining LibDems this morning many of whom had the last vestige of righteousness taken away last night when Tim Farron announced that the MPs would support the action in Syria. The #libdemfightback tag has been mercilessly taken apart on twitter and many members seem to have suggested this is the final straw for them.
    The chief whip for the LDs ,Tom Brake was still asking for feedback on what they should do when Farron made his announcement. Wonder if he will vote against his own whip?
  • Options

DavidL said:

I agree with Cameron that having UK conventional ground troops involved would be counterproductive and what we want is local forces to defeat Daesh, albeit with air support. We may well have, and probably do have, special forces involved in gaining intelligence, guiding operations and labelling targets but that should be the extent of it.

So I don't agree. The more support we give to local forces from the air the less likely it is for our ground troops to get involved. But why the debate about this proposal is going to take more than half an hour, let alone cause civil war in the Labour party, is still a mystery.
  • Options

Roger said:

FPT

Carlotta

My reply fpt:

Corbyn's track record indicates it is not a difficult and balanced decision for him: he is anti-war. His difficulty is in trying to persuade other Labour MPs of his views, which is an entirely different matter.

In fact, if he had a more balanced view on it, he might find it easier to persuade them to vote against. Instead, he has to cast-iron certainty of his own conviction, which is not an argument that particularly wins other people over.

It'd also be easier for him if he had a better and more thought-out alternative plan.
    You mean like Cameron's drivel and lies no doubt.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

I'm not particularly one to defend Blair, but it will be interesting to read that the Chilcot Report has to say on a number of issues. For one thing, there was absolutely no trust between Iraq and western powers. Ever since GW1, Iraq had repeatedly lied to and delayed the work of the weapons' inspectors. They had attempted to assassinate George Bush. Saddam had killed many of his own people, leading to the no-fly zones.

Given that history of distrust, you could argue that GW2 was inevitable, and could easily have occurred in the late 1990s rather than 2003.
  • Options

2/2

FWIW I agree wholeheartedly with her; my brain agrees more with you.

Thank you for posting the conversation here, David.

• Options
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

For sure it will be the latter, all they will achieve other than photo ops for Cameron is creation of more nutters desperate to return some bombs to us.
    How many nutters do you suppose there are at the moment, Malc? Enough for another 50 Parises? 100? 5?

How many more nutters do you suppose us joining in the bombing will create?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Not half as stupid as yours, what is your plan for not killing civilians, you going to ask ISIS to wear red hats or something. Halfwits sitting in their armchair slavering to drop bombs from the sky indiscriminately is as stupid as you get.
    You seem to love the word "indiscriminate". Also "slavering". Could you please try something new?

What is you evidence for the above, by the way? There is quite a lot of evidence the other way - the amount of ordnance dropped per sortie in Iraq directly contradicts the idea that the RAF is carpet bombing.
  • Options

I agree Mike.

IMHO, a good chunk of people opposed to military action are confusing two things: (1) that targeted military strikes against ISIS, its leaders, and its infrastructure are necessary to degrade its ability to organise and operate against us, and therefore reduce its threat to us in the West, but won't solve the problems in Syria and (2) that war is the solution to Syria's problems.

No we just realise that listening to halfwits like you is far more dangerous than the chances of ISIS attacking us.
  • Options
    timmo said:

Wonder if he will vote against his own whip?

Is the LibDem vote whipped?

Reading Farron's thoughtful analysis I thought he was encouraging the other 7 to vote with him, rather than ordering him, like Corbyn tried....
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

It wasn't clever of Cameron to use the term 'terrorist sympathisers' even though it is correct for at least a small number at the top of Labour right now.

Was mildly amused by the naivety of some anti-war protesters on the news last night. The implication was that if we don't bomb Daesh, then Daeshland will live in peace and happiness and we can negotiate and make a lasting peace hooray!

As it is, Daeshland is a realm of terror, where industrial scale rape, torture and beheadings are commonplace, and where what passes for a government actively wants to commit genocide locally and terrorism is the official foreign policy. They already want to, and try to, kill us, and sometimes they succeed.

I do think there are legitimate reasons to be for or against action. But to be against on the basis we're 'bringing war' somewhere that would otherwise be peaceful is not so much naive, as plain stupid.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The fact that the public still backs airstrikes by a 17% margin, 48% to 31%, suggests that they are pretty convinced of the case but want to be certain it will be supporting forces on the ground. The fact Labour voters are opposed though suggests Corbyn is right to speak and vote against airstrikes though even if he allows his MPs a free vote

The public are like sheep and change with the wind. They have no clue about it and most don't care about people far away or are scared with all the talk about the baddies coming to blow them up.
    We will see what the sheep think when we are sucked in and the body bags are coming back on a daily basis.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,844
    malcolmg said:

Civilians will die and there are concerns about planning and effectiveness which may reasonably lead people to conclude no action InSyria is best. But it is a plan to defeat them at least. Any p,an which does not involve actually confronting them with bombs or boots is not a plan to defeat them at all (although elements of those plans should indeed be do e). Fair enough if the proposed plan is seen as too risky for not enough reward, but t is at least a proposal, whereas mythical future negotiations or go away and hope for the best are not. Doesn't mean we have to do it, but we cannot pretend things are realistic proposals when they are not and treat them the same.
  • Options
    139 Labour MPs voted against Tony Blair for the Iraq war.

Wonder how the numbers will look this time
  • Options

malcolmg said:

You seem to love the word "indiscriminate". Also "slavering". Could you please try something new?

What is you evidence for the above, by the way? There is quite a lot of evidence the other way - the amount of ordnance dropped per sortie in Iraq directly contradicts the idea that the RAF is carpet bombing.
    Unlike you who just like to hear yourself , could you try something intelligent. Another halfwit that believes any rubbish the Tories or MOD throw out , just keep up the Baaa Baaa Baaa Bommmmb
  • Options

DavidL said:

When this is approved today we will start to bomb targets in Syria. By Christmas the number of bombs dropped in Syria on our very tight rules of engagement may well have reached double figures although my guess is that might be a close

We are doing the same thing in Iraq right now, and have been for quite a while. No ground element apart from some members of the Hereford Hunting club. Incidentally, did you know that McIRA wanted to abolish the SAS as well as MI5?
    Yes I do know that, but this is a significant escalation and expansion of our role in the conflict.

If we are serious about defeating IS and fellow travellers like Boko Haram and Al Shabaab then we need to accept that it is going to be costly in terms of both lives and money, and that there is likely to be a lot of civillian casualties. There always are in assymetric warfare. A few bombs from 2 extra Tornados is neither here nor there. You don't tackle a rabid dog with a peashooter.

We should be resolute and forceful in our defence of liberal democracy against Islamo-facists, but we should not delude ourselves that it will be easy or cheap.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,844
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

The public are like sheep and change with the wind. They have no clue about it and most don't care about people far away or are scared with all the talk about the baddies coming to blow them up.
    We will see what the sheep think when we are sucked in and the body bags are coming back on a daily basis.
    That is certainly true. As with many things we claim to support things, but object to consequences of doing it. I have no doubt this action will be unpopular.

139 Labour MPs voted against Tony Blair for the Iraq war.

Wonder how the numbers will look this time

Far fewer against Corbyn. For all the fuss, they are apparently more united than they appear.
  • Options

2/2

Without violence from us the Yazidi would have been exterminated in Iraq.
    Certainly the Iraq War - and even more, the post-Iraq War mistakes - have a lot to answer for. However, from Afghanistan to Yemen to Somalia to Syria to Libya, Islamist fighters have looked for failed muslim countries in which to base insurgencies. Had the Iraq war not taken place, events would have panned out differently but the Arab Spring may well have come about anyway and Syria would still have been a failed state attracting Islamist crusaders.
  • Options
    Mr. Dugarbandier, wasn't that around a third?

Given the difference in numbers, it's perhaps better to consider the proportion than the actual number of rebels. If 139 MPs defy the "this isn't a whipped vote but we know where you live" line whip then Corbyn's trouble deepens significantly.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216
    Well, you can count me in the unsure category. I'm not at all sure that bombing is the right long term strategy, even if it may be a good short-term tactic. I'm not convinced there is any post-bombing plan nor whom we are meant to be helping on the ground. What is victory, what will it look like and when will we know that we have achieved it?

Presumably the French who have been bombing have answers to these questions.

The only thing I am sure about is that IS needs to be dealt with and fast. Whether this is the right solution is another question.

Anyway off to work. Busy day for me. I have to go to Paris next week for an investigation so plenty of stuff to do here first. There used to be a time when the lead up to Christmas was relatively quiet. Sadly, those days are long gone......
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    TOPPING said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

How many nutters do you suppose there are at the moment, Malc? Enough for another 50 Parises? 100? 5?

How many more nutters do you suppose us joining in the bombing will create?
    Topping , we have caused most of them so nutters on here wanting us to keep up the good work does not surprise me.

PS: It will for sure encourage them to attack us, we are Satan's lapdog after all.
  • Options

2/2

FWIW I agree wholeheartedly with her; my brain agrees more with you.

Thank you for posting the conversation here, David.

Oh, I completely get where she's coming from. War is horrible, nasty, hellish and destructive of so much that makes life worth living for. Were there another way, I'd love to take it. But I think her final comment is telling: 38 Degs and there supporters don't have an alternative other than 'stay out', which is basically the same position - if from very different motives - as America First held in 1939-41.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,851
    So now we have two polls in succession putting centre-right parties on 57%, compared to 51% in May.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

Civilians will die and there are concerns about planning and effectiveness which may reasonably lead people to conclude no action InSyria is best. But it is a plan to defeat them at least. Any p,an which does not involve actually confronting them with bombs or boots is not a plan to defeat them at all (although elements of those plans should indeed be do e). Fair enough if the proposed plan is seen as too risky for not enough reward, but t is at least a proposal, whereas mythical future negotiations or go away and hope for the best are not. Doesn't mean we have to do it, but we cannot pretend things are realistic proposals when they are not and treat them the same.
    KLE4 , there is no plan , that is the real issue, just some bumbling lies from Cameron. Fact that he had to lie through his teeth about his 70,000 troops says it all. They could not run a bath never mind a war.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I agree with Cameron that having UK conventional ground troops involved would be counterproductive and what we want is local forces to defeat Daesh, albeit with air support. We may well have, and probably do have, special forces involved in gaining intelligence, guiding operations and labelling targets but that should be the extent of it.

So I don't agree. The more support we give to local forces from the air the less likely it is for our ground troops to get involved. But why the debate about this proposal is going to take more than half an hour, let alone cause civil war in the Labour party, is still a mystery.
    I think Labour are refighting the Iraq war debate. The ghost in this fight is Blair, much like Thatcher was the ghost in the fights within the Tory party ostensibly about other matters long after she had gone. Mix into that MPs being saddled with Corbyn, his contempt for them, the views of the membership and the effects of the responses to Paris and it's quite clear why they're having some sort of breakdown.
  • Options

Mr. Dugarbandier, wasn't that around a third?

Given the difference in numbers, it's perhaps better to consider the proportion than the actual number of rebels. If 139 MPs defy the "this isn't a whipped vote but we know where you live" line whip then Corbyn's trouble deepens significantly.

Yes, I guess it would be around a third (not to mention a cabinet resignation). I wonder what percent of LibDems will follow their party line as well.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Oh, I completely get where she's coming from. War is horrible, nasty, hellish and destructive of so much that makes life worth living for. Were there another way, I'd love to take it. But I think her final comment is telling: 38 Degs and there supporters don't have an alternative other than 'stay out', which is basically the same position - if from very different motives - as America First held in 1939-41.

Not sure this is the right parallel. Everyone (well everyone who is vaguely sane) agrees that ISIS are unacceptable and should go. The question is how. The argument that bombing Syria is a viable solution is yet to win the day.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I think Labour are refighting the Iraq war debate. The ghost in this fight is Blair, much like Thatcher was the ghost in the fights within the Tory party ostensibly about other matters long after she had gone. Mix into that MPs being saddled with Corbyn, his contempt for them, the views of the membership and the effects of the responses to Paris and it's quite clear why they're having some sort of breakdown.
    I think that's true - any war vote would have been problematic for Labour given Iraq - but add Paris to the mix, stir in photos of dead babies sent to pro-action Labour MPs and 'no where to hide' its a poisonous brew......
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited December 2015
    UKIP odds in OW&R drifting a bit - 3/1 available almost everywhere now.

I suspect the bookies are starting to see the smart money looking for a 25% return. Slightly better Lab odds available on BF, for now.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    On R4 this morning there was talk of tories voting against or abstaining, will be interesting to see if that occurs.

Politicians abstaining makes me angrier than anything, they're elected and paid to make decisions not sit on the fence.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,950
    If we have foiled half a dozen terrorist attacks already, why did it take a successful one in Paris to make us decide to bomb Syria?

• Options
    kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

I'm not sure there are any civilians in Raqqa. How do you define 'civilian' in a war against an ideology, against a non-state player? There is no reason for anyone to be in Raqqa unless they are a Jihadi wife, hanger-on, bagman or active supporter of IS. It's like the nest in Aliens. I say we nuke it from orbit - it's the only way to be sure.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,935
    edited December 2015
    Today will be a great day for the Lib Dem unders bet.

There is a pro war centre-left vote but I reckon it is tiny. The pro war Labour defectors will not turn out for Labour or the Lib Dems, but head to UKIP.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    What I don't get about the air strikes is that the Russians, Americans, French and Syrians etc have been bombing the place to bits for ages, so what difference will a few of our bombs make? Do we know of new ISIS targets that others aren't aware of?

Or is Cameron getting the parliamentary nod so that we can get involved if necessary? To show we are a fully paid-up member of the huge coalition against ISIS?

I can't see how in reality our involvement is going to lead to much more suffering on the ground. After all, if there is an obvious target out there to be hit, I'd guess the Americans have already hit it.
  • Options

DavidL said:

When this is approved today we will start to bomb targets in Syria. By Christmas the number of bombs dropped in Syria on our very tight rules of engagement may well have reached double figures although my guess is that might be a close

If we are serious about defeating IS and fellow travellers like Boko Haram and Al Shabaab then we need to accept that it is going to be costly in terms of both lives and money, and that there is likely to be a lot of civillian casualties. There always are in assymetric warfare. A few bombs from 2 extra Tornados is neither here nor there. You don't tackle a rabid dog with a peashooter.

We should be resolute and forceful in our defence of liberal democracy against Islamo-facists, but we should not delude ourselves that it will be easy or cheap.

Yes and for me the biggest stain on their character is that they choose a select few of the bad guys they will bomb while kowtowing to the biggest terrorists or running scared if they have any defences/army.
    Amazing how they only attack the easy targets.
  • Options
    Questions that perhaps need more discussion:

1) What threat do ISIS pose to: a) their locality, b) the UK, c) the world
    2) For the above, in a) the short term, and b) the long term.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

I'm not sure there are any civilians in Raqqa. How do you define 'civilian' in a war against an ideology, against a non-state player? There is no reason for anyone to be in Raqqa unless they are a Jihadi wife, hanger-on, bagman or active supporter of IS. It's like the nest in Aliens. I say we nuke it from orbit - it's the only way to be sure.
    Human shields?

• Options
    isam said:

If we have foiled half a dozen terrorist attacks already, why did it take a successful one in Paris to make us decide to bomb Syria?

What an excellent point, I hope somebody due in parliament today reads it and asks the PM.
  • Options
    Mr. 63, not sure if they're still doing it, but Daesh used to (at least for the cameras/PR) put caged prisoners on the rooftops of potential air strike targets.
  • Options

Hopefully the Parliamentary debate will enlighten us.

Hopefully.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    @malcolmg

Do the SNP give you the daily lines to take or do you make them up all by yourself.

It must be absolutely thrilling to live in a world where everything is black and white and you never have to question anything. Death and Taxes. Tories are evil. SNP are great.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Today will be a great day for the Lib Dem unders bet.

There is a pro war centre-left vote but I reckon it is tiny. The pro war Labour defectors will not turn out for Labour or the Lib Dems, but head to UKIP.

Are UKIP pro war?
  • Options
    Fenster said:

What I don't get about the air strikes is that the Russians, Americans, French and Syrians etc have been bombing the place to bits for ages, so what difference will a few of our bombs make? Do we know of new ISIS targets that others aren't aware of?

Or is Cameron getting the parliamentary nod so that we can get involved if necessary? To show we are a fully paid-up member of the huge coalition against ISIS?

I can't see how in reality our involvement is going to lead to much more suffering on the ground. After all, if there is an obvious target out there to be hit, I'd guess the Americans have already hit it.

The explanation is Cameron's vanity. He wants to be a player. Parliament should put a stop to his gross egotistical urges.
  • Options

Mr. 63, not sure if they're still doing it, but Daesh used to (at least for the cameras/PR) put caged prisoners on the rooftops of potential air strike targets.

Exactly my point, the shots of schools and hospitals will be all over the BBC.

Let's not pretend we can bomb anywhere without civilian casualties, to me the only solution is troops, plenty of them, taking ISIS camps. Our soldiers are absolutely up for it and it would terrify ISIS without the propaganda opportunities.

• Options
    For people that live or work in or close to London, would you say bombing Syria will make you feel safer in the capital over the next month or so?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,935

1a) Alot
    2 b)/c) Loads.

Alot of terrorist groups have readily identifiable aims usually boiling down to getting what they see as invaders out of their 'homeland'. ISIS is a bit different, their aim is to get the Kafiir out of the world, or live UNDER muslims.
  • Options

Fenster said:

The explanation is Cameron's vanity. He wants to be a player. Parliament should put a stop to his gross egotistical urges.
    Too simplistic. If it was all about Cameron's ego I doubt Hilary Benn would be supporting it, or the Lib Dems for that matter.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    DavidL said:

Totally agree.

While it's good not to be gung-ho, there comes a point when this endless handwringing becomes a vice in itself. It makes us appear an unreliable ally and one that would never provide any really significant aid; also that we would not respond if attacked ourselves.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

DavidL said:

CD13 said:

Dave "heir to Blair" Cameron is a manifestation of that shameful legacy. If anything I find Cameron more egregious than Blair.
    What a shedful of baseless lies and prejudice - well done - you can have Stella's seat when she gets booted out.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Unlike you who just like to hear yourself , could you try something intelligent. Another halfwit that believes any rubbish the Tories or MOD throw out , just keep up the Baaa Baaa Baaa Bommmmb
    If bonnie Scotland was a leading advocate of doing what's necessary to defeat ISIS, I somehow doubt your dickhead dial would be turned up to eleven this morning.

Humour me: what's your 'intelligent' strategy for dealing with ISIS?
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Pulpstar said:

1a) Alot
    2 b)/c) Loads.

Alot of terrorist groups have readily identifiable aims usually boiling down to getting what they see as invaders out of their 'homeland'. ISIS is a bit different, their aim is to get the Kafiir out of the world, or live UNDER muslims.
    That's pretty much my reading of the situation. In the short term the threat to us is minor: even atrocities such as the ones Paris has suffered this year should not imperil a country. But in the long term it seems obvious that ISIS's world view and ours are absolutely mutually exclusive.

That's also why negotiating with them would be a waste of time at the moment. What we and they want are too far apart.

It's also why we need to beat them ASAP.
This discussion has been closed.