Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The future of Scottish LAB and Holyrood 2016: This week’s P

Comments

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    I noticed that Labour's vote decline again in Torbay. Must be that Corbyn effect.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    edited November 2015
    Left-wing protesters blind a horse by shooting a firework into its face, assault a young woman trying to protect it, and (likely) break the arm of a photographer depicting their crimes:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/million-mask-march-london-young-woman-punched-and-abused-while-protecting-horse-from-baying-a3108191.html

Do Corbyn and McDonnell support or oppose these protests?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''I noticed that Labour's vote decline again in Torbay. Must be that Corbyn effect.''

Had to smile at a Guardian article on one of the last southern lefty bastions Bristol the other day.

Apparently its getting worryingly prosperous.
  • Options
    Mr. JEO, that's a bloody disgrace.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Watch clip of @HackneyAbbott on #bbcdp. At Stop the War meeting on Syria she chaired Syrians not allowed to speak! https://t.co/Ab8eSJIWU3
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    JEO said:

Left-wing protesters blind a horse by shooting a firework into its face, assault a young woman trying to protect it, and (likely) break the arm of a photographer depicting their crimes:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/million-mask-march-london-young-woman-punched-and-abused-while-protecting-horse-from-baying-a3108191.html

Masks? It must have been very cold yesterday, as marauding gangs of Tiggys and Jocelyns went about their day of peaceful protest. Scum.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    JEO said:

If a couple is on a good income and have four kids, yet one partner dies and the other has to cut back hours to be a single parent, then I think it's reasonable they're assisted if the remaining parent falls into a low income.

To a limit, I'd agree.

However, anyone who has a large family should mitigate against risk.

Surely, the high earner should have taken out appropriate insurance to help with the extra children, whilst safe in the knowledge that the ordinary element of support would be forthcoming?

It's an interesting point.

Tax credits are a 'pull' factor to the UK, and reducing them is far more likely to have an effect than Cameron's attempts to exclude EU workers from benefits for the first 4 years of their arrival (which he now looks very unlikely to get) In fact, he'll be lucky to get six months.

Tax credits are benefits. 327,000 EU nationals receive them.

Quite often, tax credits go hand in hand with child benefit and housing benefit.

Clearly, Osborne should change the name because tax credits are anything but.

WTC = Workers Income Support
    CTC = Child Benefit Extra
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    watford30 said:

Charles said:

MrsB said:

Yep, 86% of people want to own their own home. Of course they do. But that doesn't mean they will ever have enough money to do it. Huge numbers of people rely on social rents and/or Housing Benefit to be able to keep a roof over their heads. And their situation is getting worse.

Personally, I think what the government is missing as a trick is getting big pension funds into the game. They need long-term secure income streams and are far more responsibly counterparties than the individual Joe Schmoe who dominate the social BTL segment. If a council was to enter into, say, a 30 year contract with a pension fund, offering them a 4-5% return on their money annually, they'd be delighted to build social flats and manage them as well.
    More admin fees for your chums in the City?

Personally, I'd have more faith in the smaller landlords than the faceless property giants.

No - it would be invested and managed by them directly.

Pension funds need long-term investments that yield predictable returns in order to manage their liabilities. At the moment they are buying long-dated government bonds for ridiculous yields (partly because they are mandated to and partly to manage longevity risk).

If you can utilise the capital to address a social need while funding pensions on a long-term basis that is a great combination.

re: small private landlords - general they are pretty good. But the good landlords rarely play in the social housing market. If you can institutionalise that segment, you can reduce overhead and admin costs allowing for: (a) better returns for the pension fund providers; (b) lower costs for the government; and (c) better housing for the tenants
  • Options
    JenSJenS Posts: 91
    The BBC thinks that Corbyn is not waving but drowning at PMQ.

"... despite 32 years in Parliament, Mr Corbyn does not seem to have the debating skill to really press a point, or the subtler arts needed to ferment dissent on the other side's benches..."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34732282
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,189
    dr_spyn said:

I noticed that Labour's vote decline again in Torbay. Must be that Corbyn effect.

Everybody's vote declined except the LibDems. The LibDems made a big play for the seat, partly to get Sanders back locally (despite him pledging he wouldn't stand as a councillor again), but more as a mark of respect for their highly-regarded previous councillor, who died from cancer. I'm told the LibDems had a Super Saturday, with helpers brought in from outside the area.

The Tories, frankly, split over the candidate - several of their sitting councillors weren't exactly impressed and did little/nothing to help. But a big factor yesterday was the weather. It was absolutely foul, all day. The LibDems got their vote out. Nobody else did. Big win for the Can't Be Arsed Party....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,027
    JEO said:

As someone whose partner owns, and as I look after horses on a daily basis, this has wound me right up.

My blood is boiling !
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,024
    What the...
    Egyptian authorities are apparently refusing permission to enter to British rescue flights bound for Sharm today.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-34743388
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Sandpit said:

What the...
    Egyptian authorities are apparently refusing permission to enter to British rescue flights bound for Sharm today.

The Egyptians are doing their best to lose nearly a million British tourist visitors a year.

Good luck to them as travellers go elsewhere in future. Who will pick up the slack? Probably not the Russians.
  • Options
    I'm revolted by it.
    Pulpstar said:

JEO said:

As someone whose partner owns, and as I look after horses on a daily basis, this has wound me right up.

My blood is boiling !
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

isam said:

I guess the telegraph article will be denounced because Fraser Nelson is one of the Tories who hate the govt or summint

Can I denounce it because Fraser Nelson has banged on about not enough deficit reduction for the last 6 years and now wants it to be slowed down.

Is he worried about having nothing to moan about ?
    Not quite, he is arguing for a reduction in the projected surplus in 2020. Although personally I think that is moonshine.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    JenS said:

"... despite 32 years in Parliament, Mr Corbyn does not seem to have the debating skill to really press a point, or the subtler arts needed to ferment dissent on the other side's benches..."

JenS said:

Huh, I always thought in that situation it was 'foment', not 'ferment', but apparently both are acceptable.

I am surprised at that piece, not least because, without investigating further, I've seen several headlines for articles, often Tory, about needing to not barrack so much because it is excessive, whereas this one says it is not as much as others faced. ]

And now i really must be off.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    Pulpstar said:

JEO said:

My blood is boiling !
    Referring to these people as right wing/left wing or anything else is ridiculous, they are criminals, full stop, and should be treated accordingly. If I went out now and shot a rocket at a horse I would be prosecuted, quite rightly.

This is nothing to do with politics.

• Options
    JenS said:

Bloody right wing BBC ;-)
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Sandpit said:

What the...

Probably a fit of pique over not being informed of the British intelligence.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,047
    X
    Pulpstar said:

JEO said:

My blood is boiling !
    Absolute filth.

If like to see the person that did it get a proper good hiding
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,251
    watford30 said:

Sandpit said:

What the...

The Egyptians are doing their best to lose nearly a million British tourist visitors a year.

Good luck to them as travellers go elsewhere in future. Who will pick up the slack? Probably not the Russians.
    Undermining the tourist industries of these countries will make them even more prey to Islamist takeover.

What is happening to the Tunisian tourist industry, for instance?

• Options
    edited November 2015
    AndyJS said:

Sandpit said:

What the...

Are they going to hold the British visitors 'hostage'? The Egyptians seem intent on hobbling the local tourist industry.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Alasdair..What would these massive wodges be..I just get the basic pension..and a WFA..
    ..hardly massive..I don't have a TV license..nor do I catch a bus without paying..but I still pay normal taxes on my income..I didn't realise I was being pampered by the state..
  • Options
    watford30 said:

AndyJS said:

Sandpit said:

What the...

Are they going to hold the tourists 'hostage'? They seem intent on destroying the local tourist industry.
    Like most Muslim countries Egypt is essentially an honour society, let's not forget. If you insult someone's honour they're duty-bound to try to get their own back, even if they damage their own interests in the process.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    JEO said:

That's disgusting.

It reminds me of a piece by Cath Elliott on Comment is Free. Her dog cut its paws open, when she was walking it, after members of PETA had strewn glass across an area of countryside, to prevent a hunt from taking place.
  • Options

I am still gob smacked at the level of benefits available in the UK..My Italian friends are amazed at the high levels that far exceed the national income here..they think the UK Gov is insane and state that is the reason so many people are trying to enter the country illegally..

Isn't Italy one of the places where people retire from public jobs like teaching at 45 or 50 and then have a huge pension and a second career? Or am I behind the times?
  • Options
    Charles said:

MrsB said:

Yep, 86% of people want to own their own home. Of course they do. But that doesn't mean they will ever have enough money to do it. Huge numbers of people rely on social rents and/or Housing Benefit to be able to keep a roof over their heads. And their situation is getting worse.

....Personally, I think what the government is missing as a trick is getting big pension funds into the game. They need long-term secure income streams and are far more responsibly counterparties than the individual Joe Schmoe who dominate the social BTL segment. If a council was to enter into, say, a 30 year contract with a pension fund, offering them a 4-5% return on their money annually, they'd be delighted to build social flats and manage them as well.
    Great idea Charles. The question is why is this not happening on a massive scale to add 100,000 more units each year on top of current levels?
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I ruled out Egypt for security reasons when I went to Tunisia back in 2012. I'd still be happy about going to Turkey, though I only went there last year.

Went to North Devon this year :)
  • Options

JenS said:

Bloody right wing BBC ;-)
    Is that a Keir Hardy tobby jug by Tony Blair in the photo on this bbc story? Who knew?
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    rottenborough..You are behind the times..
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

Everybody's vote declined except the LibDems. The LibDems made a big play for the seat, partly to get Sanders back locally (despite him pledging he wouldn't stand as a councillor again), but more as a mark of respect for their highly-regarded previous councillor, who died from cancer. I'm told the LibDems had a Super Saturday, with helpers brought in from outside the area.

The Tories, frankly, split over the candidate - several of their sitting councillors weren't exactly impressed and did little/nothing to help. But a big factor yesterday was the weather. It was absolutely foul, all day. The LibDems got their vote out. Nobody else did. Big win for the Can't Be Arsed Party....

Spot on, Mr Mark. It was the weather. Nothing at all to do with the short-sighted and unpopular policies of the Conservative administration.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819
    Charles said:

watford30 said:

Charles said:

MrsB said:

Personally, I think what the government is missing as a trick is getting big pension funds into the game. They need long-term secure income streams and are far more responsibly counterparties than the individual Joe Schmoe who dominate the social BTL segment. If a council was to enter into, say, a 30 year contract with a pension fund, offering them a 4-5% return on their money annually, they'd be delighted to build social flats and manage them as well.

Personally, I'd have more faith in the smaller landlords than the faceless property giants.

Pension funds need long-term investments that yield predictable returns in order to manage their liabilities. At the moment they are buying long-dated government bonds for ridiculous yields (partly because they are mandated to and partly to manage longevity risk).

If you can utilise the capital to address a social need while funding pensions on a long-term basis that is a great combination.

re: small private landlords - general they are pretty good. But the good landlords rarely play in the social housing market. If you can institutionalise that segment, you can reduce overhead and admin costs allowing for: (a) better returns for the pension fund providers; (b) lower costs for the government; and (c) better housing for the tenants
    Sounds a good idea. Whatever the route, though, we desperately need more housing. I had a look the other day at the level of housing provision and housing construction against the number of households in the country since the Seventies. It made for scary reading. Given that we need to build enough houses to:
    A. Cope for the increase in number of households; and
    B. Replace ageing stock,

... we haven't even accomplished A, let alone B. We need to increase our rate of house-building from under 150,000 per year to over 170,000 per year if houses lasted forever; to over 200,000 per year if houses lasted a thousand years; to over 300,000 per year if houses lasted two centuries ... just to stand still.

The rental levels, HB levels and house prices all come from the same issue - demand constantly outstripping supply. When that happens, there has to be some form of rationing.

The issue with housing is that the feedback loop of higher-prices-boost-supply is broken due to the planning regulations and the now-embedded expectation of continuing scarcity.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

JEO said:

My blood is boiling !
    Referring to these people as right wing/left wing or anything else is ridiculous, they are criminals, full stop, and should be treated accordingly. If I went out now and shot a rocket at a horse I would be prosecuted, quite rightly.

This is nothing to do with politics.

Their propensity for violence, considering they profess themselves as peacenik antiwarmongering pacifists, is remarkable. Vicious left wing thugs, expect more of it especially if you are a normal labour party member.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,808
    edited November 2015
    Sean_F said:

JEO said:

That's disgusting.

It reminds me of a piece by Cath Elliott on Comment is Free. Her dog cut its paws open, when she was walking it, after members of PETA had strewn glass across an area of countryside, to prevent a hunt from taking place.
    Absolutely despicable.

Like many on the extremes, they are very angry people who enjoy hating and love hitching themselves to a 'cause' that they think gives them moral-licence, and thereby excuses the consequences of acting out their base instincts.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I was referring to the other allowances other than state pensions,,Tax Credits..housing benefits.etc..seems there are a few out there..some of the figures quoted in HOC debates are very high..

Are you referring to any other of the massive wodge of benefits benefits pensioners get?
    The words I would like to use to describe your nasty hatred of pensioners would get me banned. You should be ashamed of yourself.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Basically the result in Torbay last night was the political equivalent of the electorate giving Adrian Sanders a sympathy shag after the events of May.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I was referring to the other allowances other than state pensions,,Tax Credits..housing benefits.etc..seems there are a few out there..some of the figures quoted in HOC debates are very high..

Are you referring to any other of the massive wodge of benefits benefits pensioners get?
    Pensioners as a rule have paid into the system over their lifetimes.

Many of the spongers claiming every other benefit and credit haven't coughed up a penny.

I think we all know who are more deserving.
  • Options
    Charles said:

watford30 said:

Charles said:

MrsB said:

A good idea, and well thought through. Which means it will never happen.

The govt in 2010 did a good crowdsourcing exercise for ideas like this, it would be good to see it repeated.
  • Options
    On topic another excellent podcast.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

kle4 said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

I guess the telegraph article will be denounced because Fraser Nelson is one of the Tories who hate the govt or summint

Can I denounce it because Fraser Nelson has banged on about not enough deficit reduction for the last 6 years and now wants it to be slowed down.

Is he worried about having nothing to moan about ?
    Good point. Surely welfare would have been hit hugely harder a long time ago if Osborne had done what he wanted (which I did too, to be fair)
    A huge flip flop from Nelson - his credibility is waning.

Next week he'll be quizzing the chancellor on which class of train ticket he buys.
    I have been saying for years what an irrational idiot he is. But he is typical of the headless chicken nature of so many journalists.
  • Options
    Am I a bad man for rejoicing at this news ?

@montie: Cheerio Britain. During my year on the other side of the pond I'll be tweeting about US politics from @MontieUSA https://t.co/1g8uhPOfMg
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    watford30 said:

Alistair said:

Many of the spongers claiming every other benefit and credit haven't coughed up a penny.

My parents never earned good money, but paid off their mortgage, despite double figure rates, and saved for their retirement

Now they get 0.5% interest on their savings, while the credit fuelled generation (inc me) pay little more on their mortgages

Plus my mum gets taxed on her £8 hr job on the till at boots despite only getting about £130 a week, while tax credits are given to people who say there is no work
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    isam said:

watford30 said:

Alistair said:

My parents never earned good money, but paid off their mortgage, despite double figure rates, and saved for their retirement

Now they get 0.5% interest on their savings, while the credit fuelled generation pay little more in their mortgages

Plus my mum gets taxed on her £8 hr job on the till at boots despite only getting about £130 a week!
    You can get ~2.7 - 5% quite easily, all FSCS protected :)

TSB Account is the best one for people with 'little' savings at the moment, Santander 123 if you have 20k+...
  • Options

@montie: Cheerio Britain. During my year on the other side of the pond I'll be tweeting about US politics from @MontieUSA https://t.co/1g8uhPOfMg

I expect there'll be a fair amount of rejoicing in Downing Street too.
  • Options

I expect there'll be a fair amount of rejoicing in Downing Street too.
    I can't believe people doubt the political nous of the architect of the quiet man speech.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

The words I would like to use to describe your nasty hatred of pensioners would get me banned. You should be ashamed of yourself.
    Why is pointing out that a lot of money is spent on pensioner benefits "hatred of pensioners"?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Alistair said:

Why is pointing out that a lot of money is spent on pensioner benefits "hatred of pensioners"?
    There is no shame in claiming the benefits to which one is entitled :)
  • Options
    Thanx for that. Better than my current rate!
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

watford30 said:

Alistair said:

Now they get 0.5% interest on their savings, while the credit fuelled generation pay little more in their mortgages

Plus my mum gets taxed on her £8 hr job on the till at boots despite only getting about £130 a week!

TSB Account is the best one for people with 'little' savings at the moment, Santander 123 if you have 20k+...
  • Options
    I see One True Voice is going to preach to the converted :p

On Egypt: saw a snippet of Sky News, which suggested it was a logistical issue (lack of capacity) rather than anything else.
  • Options
    Reuters reporting Russia have killed 42 in air strikes on Raqqa
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    The issue with pensioner benefits is the universal award of some things - bus passes, TV licences, winter fuel payments - combined with the way above inflation increases in others.

That's before pension credit gets discussed. That is every bit as bad as tax credits in undermining full time work and contribution.

The sheer scale of Brown's uselessness in just about every sphere of policy continues to beggar belief.
  • Options

Unfortunately, he'll get away with it, because he doesn't have the challenge of the Labour Party articulating a credible alternative proposal that would potentially appeal to the majority of voters.
    Nelson has no credibility. When Osborne previously set back the date for clearing the deficit he howled like fury because he had found a stick to beat him with. Where were the cuts to come from for Nelson's target to be reached? Silence from him.
    Now that a necessary and tough choice has to be faced, what does Neslon say? Delay clearing the deficit. All that has happened is Nelson has found another convenient stick.

As for silence. We get plenty of that from Mr Palmer when it comes to the Tories implimenting the living wage and increasing tax allowances. We also get lots of silence about reducing the deficit.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

watford30 said:

Alistair said:

Sent you a vanilla message
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

watford30 said:

Alistair said:

Yes, I'm with TSB now, changed recently. Also saved over £200 on house insurance and a similar amount on car insurance. It's a pain but it's worth shopping around every year. Elec/Gas probably give greatest saving, I'm with Ovo - looked at Utility Warehouse this year but they couldn't match the Ovo deal.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    watford30 said:

Sandpit said:

What the...

Jordan, Oman and UAE will be happy.

The Russians have been going to Egypt recently as it was cheaper than Dubai after the Rouble collapsed.

Brits sure as hell won't be going near Egypt for a while!
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    edited November 2015
    chestnut said:

The issue with pensioner benefits is the universal award of some things - bus passes, TV licences, winter fuel payments - combined with the way above inflation increases in others.

That's before pension credit gets discussed. That is every bit as bad as tax credits in undermining full time work and contribution.

The sheer scale of Brown's uselessness in just about every sphere of policy continues to beggar belief.

Just how old do you have to be to get a free TV licence??
    It's now paid from the licence fee.
    How desperate do people have to be to attack pensioners in the way they do. Bus passes! I ask you! Jesus wept!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

watford30 said:

Alistair said:

Yes, I'm with TSB now, changed recently. Also saved over £200 on house insurance and a similar amount on car insurance. It's a pain but it's worth shopping around every year. Elec/Gas probably give greatest saving, I'm with Ovo - looked at Utility Warehouse this year but they couldn't match the Ovo deal.
    TSB Contactless is a great deal. "Stop the checkout when the shop gets to £29" xD
  • Options
    Is this Russia-IS situation going to end up in full scale war?
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

chestnut said:

Just how old do you have to be to get a free TV licence??
    It's now paid from the licence fee.
    How desperate do people have to be to attack pensioners in the way they do. Bus passes! I ask you! Jesus wept!
    Abolishing the telly tax completely gets neatly around that issue.
  • Options
    Oops

@WikiGuido: UKIP launch Oldham campaign with freephone number that has been disabled since March: https://t.co/bjHcX2Nl7v https://t.co/wM3lQ2lGfs
  • Options
    isam said:

Between whom?
  • Options
    isam said:

Someone needs to wipe out ISIS. Maybe the Russians will do the job.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    watford30 said:

isam said:

Between whom?
    Russia and IS? Russia and Egypt? Russia and various Middle Eastern mobs?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,691
    edited November 2015
    Sean_F said:
    Me too.

I've always felt that Sauron wasn't as bad as people made out.

He was a fairly poor military commander and strategist.

I mean two Hobbits managed to walk up to his front door and destroy the ring he wanted.

I'm sure Tolkien based him on someone from Carthage.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @NCPoliticsUK: Still waiting for the figures from Huntly (Aberdeenshire), but the Conservatives have narrowly gained it from the SNP
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@NCPoliticsUK: Still waiting for the figures from Huntly (Aberdeenshire), but the Conservatives have narrowly gained it from the SNP

Chortle. Didn't one of the Nats say it was two nailed on SNP holds/gains.
  • Options
    isam said:

How can it be full scale war? ISIS aren't a sovereign country. They could send in tanks, but that's still not a proper state on state war.
  • Options
    edited November 2015

I see One True Voice is going to preach to the converted :p

On Egypt: saw a snippet of Sky News, which suggested it was a logistical issue (lack of capacity) rather than anything else.

If Egypt is really going to try and get in the way of the British airlift, they might find that the next British aircraft to turn up are RAF Hercules - and they won't be asking for permission first!
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, Sauron was the most stupid villain imaginable.

There was one place in the whole world that could destroy him. It was within his territory and he had total military superiority.

All he had to do was park ten thousand orcs there. Instead, there was not a single one guarding the open door.

Muppet.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

watford30 said:

Sandpit said:

What the...

The Russians have been going to Egypt recently as it was cheaper than Dubai after the Rouble collapsed.

Interestingly enough it gives us, and should give the locals, an insight into what life in an ISIS led Islamic state would be like. Isolated and dirt poor.
    These countries are of course the cradle of civilisation and should really be advanced wealthy and free. What is it about people like Assad that they cannot simply say 'we've had a good run, have loads of dosh stashed away, we can just go into cosy exile and leave everybody to it' ??
  • Options

If only there was a handy phrase to describe an event such as this...
  • Options
    @RuthDavidsonMSP: Conservative GAIN in Huntly by-election. Not just taking a seat off the Libs, but winning outright & beating the SNP by 36 votes. #TeamTory
  • Options
    Mr. Flightpath, I believe that the reason, or one, why Assad hasn't buggered off to exile with a load of money is the international community's desire, understandably, to put on trial dictators rather than let them get off.

The problem is that this has removed a back door escape route so they instead do everything they can to cling on, however bad things get, because their choices are staying in power or imprisonment/death.
  • Options
    isam said:

X

Pulpstar said:

JEO said:

My blood is boiling !
    Absolute filth.

If like to see the person that did it get a proper good hiding
    It's certainly persuaded me of the need to ban face masks in protests. The far left are disgusting, violent creatures. And yet polite society likes to pretend the Tory Right and UKIP are the dangers to society.
  • Options
    @acbowie: BTW that's an incredible 36% of the vote. Up 9.8% on 2012. @ScotTories #Huntly #Aberdeenshire
  • Options

There was one place in the whole world that could destroy him. It was within his territory and he had total military superiority.

All he had to do was park ten thousand orcs there. Instead, there was not a single one guarding the open door.

Muppet.

Oh really!
    Then there would have been no story! ☺

• Options
    Scott_P said:

@RuthDavidsonMSP: Conservative GAIN in Huntly by-election. Not just taking a seat off the Libs, but winning outright & beating the SNP by 36 votes. #TeamTory

Wow. What are the odds on the Tories coming second next year in Scotland?
  • Options
    Britain Elects ‏@britainelects now
    Huntly, Strathbogie & Howe of Alford (Aberdeenshire) result:
    CON: 36.3% (+9.8)
    SNP: 35.4% (+0.7)
    LD: 22.9% (+4.7)
    LAB: 4.8% (+4.8)
    LBT: 0.5%
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

If only there was a handy phrase to describe an event such as this...
    Ajockalypse Now?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Who's the missing 20% from last time? That's surely key as to how this result is viewed?
  • Options
    Mr. Flightpath, well, the eagles are the real story-killer.

Why not just bloody fly there?
  • Options

Muppet.

Like Emperor Palpatine, his over confidence was his weakness
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Aberdeenshire is where I would expect the greatest local benefit from north sea oil. Is that significant?
  • Options
    To be fair, it would have been tough for the SNP to win both seats with only one candidate.

https://www.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/council-and-democracy/elections/huntly-strathbogie-and-howe-of-alford-by-election/
  • Options
    F1: hahahahahaha.

Ahem.

Red Bull will reportedly be using a Renault engine in 2016 after all, albeit one they upgrade themselves:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/34701222 [gossip page]

I do hope they bugger it up.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, true.

On the other hand, Palpatine could be forgiven for expecting an army of stormtroopers to beat a tribe of sodding Ewoks.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Aberdeenshire is where I would expect the greatest local benefit from north sea oil. Is that significant?
    and
    Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 12h12 hours ago
    Clifton-with-Maidenway (Torbay) result:
    LDEM - 69.2% (+39.3)
    CON - 14.8% (-13.7)
    UKIP - 10.0% (-9.7)
    LAB - 3.3% (-9.0)
    GRN - 2.7% (-6.8)
  • Options

To be fair, it would have been tough for the SNP to win both seats with only one candidate.

https://www.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/council-and-democracy/elections/huntly-strathbogie-and-howe-of-alford-by-election/

Since you're around, how would you price up a Lib Dem v UKIP seats market for 2020.

After re-reading Antifrank's piece I still think the Lib Dems could beat the UKIP on MPs.
  • Options
    isam said:

watford30 said:

isam said:

Between whom?
    Russia and IS? Russia and Egypt? Russia and various Middle Eastern mobs?
    Where do the Russkies send their tanks?
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Muppet.

Palpatine orchestrated a civil war in which he led both sides, then utterly dominated the galaxy for 20 years (even though his chief underling was looking to overthrow him from the very beginning, as stated in Revenge of the Sith), managed to almost turn Luke despite only speaking to him for five minutes (having had years to learn how to turn Anakin) and his final plan would have worked perfectly if not for the Ewoks. He had a good run really.

His weakness was not foreseeing teddy bears, and an inability to keep his mouth shut. Thusly:

http://irregularwebcomic.net/462.html
  • Options
    Jenny Jones proves that she was thicker than mince.

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/11/06/bbc-question-time_n_8486782.html?1446804816&ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067
  • Options

Sean_F said:
    Me too.

I mean two Hobbits managed to walk up to his front door and destroy the ring he wanted.

LOL!

Possibly, that's the wisdom of hindsight. Sauron believed, reasonably enough, that anyone who got the ring would want to use it against him. It never crossed his mind that anyone could or would want to destroy it.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,737
    edited November 2015

Since you're around, how would you price up a Lib Dem v UKIP seats market for 2020.

After re-reading Antifrank's piece I still think the Lib Dems could beat the UKIP on MPs.
    That's got to be strong odds on Lib Dems surely. Yeah, they could easily drop to 4 seats. But I struggle to see how UKIP get up to 4 seats unless they manage to 'break through' the 20-25% barrier (in which case they'll win 20+ seats and there are likely to be better ways of betting on that - see SNP seats GE 2015)
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Does that count as an SNP defeat or not...?
  • Options
    @Pulpstar Thanx and replied!
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:
    Me too.

LOL!

Possibly, that's the wisdom of hindsight. Sauron believed, reasonably enough, that anyone who got the ring would want to use it against him. It never crossed his mind that anyone could or would want to destroy it.
    That is indeed the exact logic Gandalf gives for the plan having a chance of success:

the only measure that [Sauron] knows is desire, desire for power; and so he judges all hearts. Into his heart the thought will not enter that any will refuse it, that having the Ring we may seek to destroy it

And he was technically right of course, in that Frodo couldn't do it in the end.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Muppet.

Palpatine orchestrated a civil war in which he led both sides, then utterly dominated the galaxy for 20 years (even though his chief underling was looking to overthrow him from the very beginning, as stated in Revenge of the Sith), managed to almost turn Luke despite only speaking to him for five minutes (having had years to learn how to turn Anakin) and his final plan would have worked perfectly if not for the Ewoks. He had a good run really.

His weakness was not foreseeing teddy bears, and an inability to keep his mouth shut. Thusly:

http://irregularwebcomic.net/462.html
    His weakness was in not walking out of the screen and blasting George Lucas before Lucas got him...
  • Options

Sandpit said:

watford30 said:

Sandpit said:

What the...

Interestingly enough it gives us, and should give the locals, an insight into what life in an ISIS led Islamic state would be like. Isolated and dirt poor.
    These countries are of course the cradle of civilisation and should really be advanced wealthy and free. What is it about people like Assad that they cannot simply say 'we've had a good run, have loads of dosh stashed away, we can just go into cosy exile and leave everybody to it' ??
    The International Court of Justice.

It used to work very well - the deal was they would get $100m and a place to live in Central America or South East Asia and everyone would ignore them.

Now people want to imprison them for life for war crimes it gives them no incentive to surrender or flee.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, true.

On the other hand, Palpatine could be forgiven for expecting an army of stormtroopers to beat a tribe of sodding Ewoks.

It was a wretched ending to the trilogy.

In reality, Imperial Stormtroopers would spatchcock them.

Sauron had a pretty good run, of about 7,000 years. He survived the overthrow of Morgoth, ruled over most of Middle Earth during the Second Age, destroyed Numenor, survived being killed twice, and rebuilt an empire that lasted several hundred years until his downfall.