Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Antifrank on the GE2020 prospects for Tim Farron’s Lib Dem

1235»

Comments

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Boris slashes Osborne's lead as next Tory leader after the tax credits row in a new Conservativehome poll of Tory members

Osborne down 9% to 23%, Boris up 7% to 21%
    http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2015/11/next-tory-leader-poll-the-tax-credits-row-hits-osborne-his-vote-slumps-as-boriss-soars.html

Significant for betting implications. This is before Osborne gets fully linked to the Remain campaign.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Boris slashes Osborne's lead as next Tory leader after the tax credits row in a new Conservativehome poll of Tory members

Osborne down 9% to 23%, Boris up 7% to 21%
    http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2015/11/next-tory-leader-poll-the-tax-credits-row-hits-osborne-his-vote-slumps-as-boriss-soars.html

Significant for betting implications. This is before Osborne gets fully linked to the Remain campaign. Mrs May must be considering when to jump.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Mr. Foxinsox, quite. To satisfy the terribly concerned but not terribly clever, we axe out own emissions by reducing jobs and harming industry, exporting the economic advantage to another country which chugs out more pollution than we would and therefore doesn't decrease global pollution at all.

It's a masterclass in empty-headed delinquency masquerading as environmental responsibility.

It actually increases the pollution. All those ships going backwards and forwards to China, rather than a Lorry to Redcar.
  • Options

kle4 said:

JEO said:

Ukraine is hellishly corrupt. Expect to be hit up for bribes on a regular basis.

If I'm visiting a country which is pretty corrupt I hope they are at least unsubtle about it with tourists - I'd hate to be treated poorly for not picking up the signals that a bribe is expected and they get angry.
    I have travelled pretty widely, but not paid a proper bribe. I did buy a CD from a Malawian customs officer for $10 once. It is not bad at all. I am not sure if was a bribe or a bit of an entrepaneurship!
    Donations to police ball in one Caribbean country to help release our car.
  • Options
    Mr. Betting, depends first on the PCP. Tory MPs pick the top 2, and only then do the membership get a say.

I am beginning to think Hunt will get it. Osborne's too disliked generally, Boris is not well-liked in the PCP, and May's colder than an Ice Warrior's freezer.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060
    edited November 2015
    Good night Arsenal.

Thanks for coming....

Spurs still have the better record in reaching the CL QF most recently (I think) and we've not been in it for donkeys.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

Mr. Foxinsox, quite. To satisfy the terribly concerned but not terribly clever, we axe out own emissions by reducing jobs and harming industry, exporting the economic advantage to another country which chugs out more pollution than we would and therefore doesn't decrease global pollution at all.

It's a masterclass in empty-headed delinquency masquerading as environmental responsibility.

It actually increases the pollution. All those ships going backwards and forwards to China, rather than a Lorry to Redcar.
    At the age of 6, I broke my arm while going round the Dorman Long plant in Redcar.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,205

F1: apparently Hamilton's attacked Schumacher:
    https://twitter.com/JunaidSamodien_/status/661155711527854080

Not classy.

He's right though. Schumacher often exhibited a reckless ruthlessness on track that veered into hideousness (witness Hill and Villeneuve). But that was just on track. If the rumours are true, then his real mastery was in getting total dominance over the teams he was driving for, including both sides of the garage. At least until he (re)joined Mercedes and drove for them in F1.

Hamilton's just not in the same league when it comes to mastery of the team.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited November 2015
    If that is a real quote from Hamilton, I wonder what has prompted him to hit out like that? It isn't like Schumacher will have said anything about Hamilton recently, nor can he reply. Not really classy. But that all presumes that is a true quote.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,221

Good night Arsenal.

Thanks for coming....

Spurs still have the better record in reaching the CL QF most recently (I think) and we've not been in it for donkeys.

YWTLIBAW
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Matt on form . (Plato will like this)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/matt/
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, Schumacher did take out Hill.

As Senna (Hamilton's hero) took out Prost.

Furthermore, Schumacher's critically ill and can't answer back. The Schumacher fan club appears to think it's genuine, and if F1 goes back to Germany I don't think Hamilton will be getting a warm welcome.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

If that is a real quote from Hamilton, I wonder what has prompted him to hit out like that? It isn't like Schumacher will have said anything about Hamilton recently, nor can he reply. Not really classy. But that all presumes that is a true quote.

Unfortunately it seems to be. Why would he go there? What could he possibly hope to gain?

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/michael-schumacher-fan-club-boss-lashes-out-f1-champ-lewis-hamilton
  • Options

Not classy.

He's right though. Schumacher often exhibited a reckless ruthlessness on track that veered into hideousness (witness Hill and Villeneuve). But that was just on track. If the rumours are true, then his real mastery was in getting total dominance over the teams he was driving for, including both sides of the garage. At least until he (re)joined Mercedes and drove for them in F1.

On the other hand, has Hamilton won a championship when not driving the best car, as Schumacher arguably did with Benetton?
  • Options
    DTelgraph
    "Lisa Nandy, Labour’s shadow energy secretary, blamed Government policy for “creating an energy security crisis” while the GMB Union said Britain was in the “bonkers position… where National Grid is using consumer’s money to pay firms to stop work in order to avoid blackouts”.

Building should have been going on during the Coalition years ready for this known shortfall

What dear Lisa Nandy misses is the main point that the decision to build should have been made in the years of the early Millennium when her party were in power.
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Not classy.

On the other hand, has Hamilton won a championship when not driving the best car, as Schumacher arguably did with Benetton?
    Benetton were the biggest bunch of cheats the sport's ever seen. Forget what happened in Adelaide, Benetton should have been thrown out of the sport long before then.
  • Options

Not classy.

Yes in 2008, Ferrari had the better car.

Hamilton's team mate finished seventh that season
  • Options
    Mr. Moses, quite. Every party that's been in government in the last decade and a half is to blame for this nonsense.

Mr. 86, too young to pay attention to such things at the time, but I have heard rumblings about alleged traction control and other shenanigans.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,698
    edited November 2015
    To me, Michael Schumacher will always be The German Shunt (sic) who cheated to deprive Damon Hill of the world title in 1994.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, not sure I entirely agree.

His team mate was Kovalainen, a mid-ranker brought in at very short notice when Alonso jumped ship.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087

htps://twitter.com/JunaidSamodien_/status/661155711527854080

Not classy.

Even leaving aside the classiness of the comment, I don't quite follow the point - I'd have thought ruthlessness on the track is a natural ability to utilize in order to win. If he's saying he hasn't had to be ruthless to win, well done him I guess, but questioning the abilities of those who did (Schumacher was certainly not the first or last) opens to the doors to questioning of everyone's abilities. How much better was their car than the others, objectively? What was the quality of opposition they had to face? How many races did they have to win, for how many points, and how difficult were those tracks? I don't know how Hamilton would stack up against other champions in that respect, but that's a debate that fans should have really, it just feels insecure if the drivers themselves start doing it.

I'd hope it's not a true quote, but I must say I recall Hamilton speaking at post Silverstone events when I went to a few years in a row, and he did come across as a bit of a bell end. Maybe he's just not good at the non-race nonsense though, it must be irritating especially after you've just had a race.
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, found a video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRafYB3zQjc

Hamilton's career has some years left, and can only really be assessed when it's finished.

Anyway, I must be off for the night.
  • Options

Not classy.

Mr Morris

I remember When Hill needed just 1 point to win the world championship Schumacher skidded off the track and damage his car. There was no way he was going to finish the race so drove his car back onto the track in damaged condition and then directly into the side of Damian Hill as he went past. Hills car went another couple of turns and had to pull off as a result of the damage caused in that collision.

The winner of the world championship that year was Schumacher although he failed to finish the race.
    I never forgave him for one of the most unsportsmanlike actions I have ever seen.
  • Options
    Schumacher certainly was ruthless, to the point I found it almost charming - I seem to recall one year he overtook two people on the last lap of the Monaco GP as they were not paying attention I guess, one of whom was his brother and who complained Michael had almost put him into the wall in doing so. It made me think, yes, that's one reason he's been champion and you haven't, Ralf.
  • Options

Not classy.

Yes, as others have said: 1998

Don;t forget that Benetton were cheating barstweards throughout the 1994 season. I'd never be such a swine as to suggest that had anything to do with Briatore being in charge ...
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Sandpit said:

Ireland and Netherlands joining in the suspension of flights to Sharm. Suggests that the British government know something about how the plane came down (But don't want to interfere in the investigation).

Not looking good for Egypt's tourist industry, if that goes what else do they have?

The UK government know the following:

1. There appears to have been an explosion on the plane based on satellite observation
    2. Western Signals intelligence picked up this thing they call 'chatter' that may relate to a certain 3rd party involvement.
    3. Intelligence agencies in the region have their own sources and interpretation which has been passed on

In reality, a device in the boom form is usually identified fairly early at least if its a) of any notable size and b) all about explosives. There are other ways to deliver damage to a plane with a very small initial bang or an alternative trigger, however.

The problem as I mentioned on Saturday is you could trust fairly little official comment out of Moscow or Cairo. Maybe in the last 48 hours some things have started to align better but you still have some doubt about subsequent comments.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Not classy.

Mr Morris

I remember When Hill needed just 1 point to win the world championship Schumacher skidded off the track and damage his car. There was no way he was going to finish the race so drove his car back onto the track in damaged condition and then directly into the side of Damian Hill as he went past. Hills car went another couple of turns and had to pull off as a result of the damage caused in that collision.

The winner of the world championship that year was Schumacher although he failed to finish the race.
    I never forgave him for one of the most unsportsmanlike actions I have ever seen.
    Never really understood why that result was allowed to stand, to be honest. I mean, it's not like it was the first time someone had taken out another person in F1, as has been noted re Senna and Prost, but even so.
  • Options
    Mr Dancer, they were caught with launch control in the software of the car but they claimed it was a relic from the previous season when it had still been legal. This is the start of the French GP which aroused so much suspicion:

http://tinyurl.com/ngkpzjw

There was also the plank incident at Spa - where Schumacher was disqualified for the ride height of the car being too low. They blamed it on a spin he had when he went over a curb, all lies. There was also the fuel rig which they tampered with in Brazil to increase the flow of fuel.

Arguably the Williams was better than the Benetton in 1995 and Schumacher definitely got to Hill that season, but I'd say the Ferrari and the McLaren were evenly matched in 2008 so I think Lewis can claim to have won one championship where he had decent competition (and Rosberg was decent competition last season at least).
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Schumacher certainly was ruthless, to the point I found it almost charming - I seem to recall one year he overtook two people on the last lap of the Monaco GP as they were not paying attention I guess, one of whom was his brother and who complained Michael had almost put him into the wall in doing so. It made me think, yes, that's one reason he's been champion and you haven't, Ralf.

As I alluded to below, it might be as much to do with what happened off-track as on-track. Ferrari really were Schumacher's team until the last couple of years he drove for them, when he started losing championships.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Mr Dancer, they were caught with launch control in the software of the car but they claimed it was a relic from the previous season when it had still been legal. This is the start of the French GP which aroused so much suspicion:

There was also the plank incident at Spa - where Schumacher was disqualified for the ride height of the car being too low. They blamed it on a spin he had when he went over a curb, all lies. There was also the fuel rig which they tampered with in Brazil to increase the flow of fuel.

Arguably the Williams was better than the Benetton in 1995 and Schumacher definitely got to Hill that season, but I'd say the Ferrari and the McLaren were evenly matched in 2008 so I think Lewis can claim to have won one championship where he had decent competition (and Rosberg was decent competition last season at least).

Even given all that....why go there...We don't know the question that prompted that response, but still why go there given Schmacher's current predicament. He got in trouble before over negative comments about Schmacher, so you would think he would stay clear.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,214
    George Galloway sets himself up as the 'real Corbyn Labour candidate' for next year's Mayoral election.

'He gets stuck into Khan, a “flip-flop merchant” and “product of the Blairite machine” who is “not the Zeitgeist”, but an “unprincipled, speak-your-weight machine” politician who “went into what can only be described as a swoon over kissing the Queen’s hand”.He’s outraged at Khan’s “brutal” criticism of Jeremy Corbyn in recent interviews: “And I know that it hasn’t been popular of Corbyn’s circle,” he adds. “He called their economic policy not just ‘rubbish’ but ‘ridiculous’ and accused John McDonnell [the shadow chancellor] and Corbyn of condoning terrorism in London. You can’t get a more serious charge from a mayoral candidate of his own leader than that.”

All this opens “a huge swathe of voters to me. Millions do not regard Palestinians as terrorists, or Corbyn’s stand on Ireland as encouraging terrorism, or Corbyn’s economic policy as ridiculous. And millions are not much into swooning in front of the Queen holding the Koran in your left hand. This man is beatable. And if I come ahead of him I can win because many of his voters will put me as their second preference.” While he “respects” and “admires” Goldsmith — “he could live the life of the Great Gatsby if he chose, without troubling to sit in a surgery on a Saturday morning and take people’s problems” — he says the son of a billionaire “cannot possibly know the lives of ordinary Londoners. He’s never had to worry about a job, a house, what the Tube or rent costs, however developed his levels of empathy are”.'

http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/london-life/george-galloway-i-ve-always-fancied-being-mayor-and-next-year-i-finally-could-be-a3106411.html
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

so I think Lewis can claim to have won one championship where he had decent competition (and Rosberg was decent competition last season at least).

There's so many other factors which you could pick apart every champion's successes however, that's why it's such a bizarre comment to come out with, inviting people to question his own success by personally attacking another driver (rather than it being fans arguing over who is best using the same points), and though he will no doubt deny it was an attack, intentional or otherwise, denigrating the achievements of another is an attack. It's so unnecessary, it just makes me think of the way Mourinho is always making things worse than they need to be by being a giant cock about things, even when he has a point.

But I must be off. Good night all.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Even given all that....why go there...We don't know the question that prompted that response, but still why go there given Schmacher's current predicament. He got in trouble before over negative comments about Schmacher, so you would think he would stay clear.
    Sorry, I joined the conversation late! Yes, Lewis is very silly to comment on such things.
  • Options

Not classy.

Yes in 2008, Ferrari had the better car.

Hamilton's team mate finished seventh that season
    OK, fair point.

Schumacher was still a far better driver at his peak than Hamilton is. His ability in the wet in particular was so far ahead of the field as to be absurd, and I'm sure I remember one race where he finished on the podium despite only having fifth gear?
  • Options
    New thread. Trump ousted from 1st place
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Moses_ said:

Not classy.

Mr Morris

Never really understood why that result was allowed to stand, to be honest. I mean, it's not like it was the first time someone had taken out another person in F1, as has been noted re Senna and Prost, but even so.
    Agreed how it stood was beyond belief. It was the time Schumacher could do no wrong and got away with stuff others could not. That particular action was an utter disgrace and it was a blatant and very successful attempt to take out the opposition by direct contact. After that I had no respect for the man whatsoever.

I agree with Hamilton he has won his own championships with skill ability and daring. Hamilton is one of Sports true champions and does not need to cheat. He has the ability to become one of the greatest drivers of all time.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

(Snip)

The fuel rig incident led to the following with Jos Verstappen (current driver Max's dad):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TnFLw0opMI

As with Crashgate in ?2009? Briatore showed a cavalier attitude towards safety. He would let his team do anything to win. Schumacher exhibited the same characteristic throughout his career (including his sportscar clash with ?Derek Warwick? in 1990.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,251
    HYUFD said:

George Galloway sets himself up as the 'real Corbyn Labour candidate' for next year's Mayoral election.

'He gets stuck into Khan, a “flip-flop merchant” and “product of the Blairite machine” who is “not the Zeitgeist”, but an “unprincipled, speak-your-weight machine” politician who “went into what can only be described as a swoon over kissing the Queen’s hand”.He’s outraged at Khan’s “brutal” criticism of Jeremy Corbyn in recent interviews: “And I know that it hasn’t been popular of Corbyn’s circle,” he adds. “He called their economic policy not just ‘rubbish’ but ‘ridiculous’ and accused John McDonnell [the shadow chancellor] and Corbyn of condoning terrorism in London. You can’t get a more serious charge from a mayoral candidate of his own leader than that.”

All this opens “a huge swathe of voters to me. Millions do not regard Palestinians as terrorists, or Corbyn’s stand on Ireland as encouraging terrorism, or Corbyn’s economic policy as ridiculous. And millions are not much into swooning in front of the Queen holding the Koran in your left hand. This man is beatable. And if I come ahead of him I can win because many of his voters will put me as their second preference.” While he “respects” and “admires” Goldsmith — “he could live the life of the Great Gatsby if he chose, without troubling to sit in a surgery on a Saturday morning and take people’s problems” — he says the son of a billionaire “cannot possibly know the lives of ordinary Londoners. He’s never had to worry about a job, a house, what the Tube or rent costs, however developed his levels of empathy are”.'

http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/london-life/george-galloway-i-ve-always-fancied-being-mayor-and-next-year-i-finally-could-be-a3106411.html

Ah yes: a man who by his own admission earns half a million quid a year, has a housekeeper, has bought the lease of a shop in Notting Hill and has been living off the public teat for decades with a pension the rest of us can only dream about knows what it is to worry about a job, a house , what the Tube or rent costs. The man is a despicable shit who should never be seen or heard of again.

• Options
    Moses_ said:

kle4 said:

Moses_ said:

Not classy.

Mr Morris

That particular action was an utter disgrace and it was a blatant and very successful attempt to take out the opposition by direct contact. After that I had no respect for the man whatsoever.
    I think that's fine, so long as you extend that to any other driver who has done similarly, which includes other greats of the sport. I can get past some of those greats being ruthless bastards at times, but it's fine if others cannot.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,214
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Ah yes: a man who by his own admission earns half a million quid a year, has a housekeeper, has bought the lease of a shop in Notting Hill and has been living off the public teat for decades with a pension the rest of us can only dream about knows what it is to worry about a job, a house , what the Tube or rent costs. The man is a despicable shit who should never be seen or heard of again.

Although he claims he was brought up in a shoebox