Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Antifrank on the GE2020 prospects for Tim Farron’s Lib Dem

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,027
    How likely is the 600 seat bill to get through parliament btw - i suspect it is one bill that the DUP won't support (But the UUP might... maybe).
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Kevin Schofield ‏@PolhomeEditor 11m11 minutes ago
    No10 on Sinai plane crash: "We have become concerned that the plane may well have been brought down by an explosive device."

make of that what you will.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,197
    Cyclefree said:

MTimT said:

kle4 said:

MTimT said:

kle4 said:

antifrank said:

I feel like a heretic, but I prefer sultanas to raisins.

Not a heretic, just thoroughly untrustworthy.
    Guess that makes me an untrustworthy heretic too.
    Sad to say. I'm sorry, I draw the line at preferring sultanas over raisans. Politics is subjective, but some things should be unquestionable.
    :) What is your position on Marmite?
    Marmite is awesome!

Marmite is hideous. But it is a nectar of the God when compared to Vegemite.

(I lived with an Aussie for four years ...)
  • Options
    BBC - Leicester MP Keith Vaz urges Coca-Cola Christmas truck tour to avoid city.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-34718933

Today's top wanker award.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Apropo of nothing (except bragging), just signed off on the final proof of my next piece for publication. Four page Comment in a little rag called Nature. Due out Thursday 12 November. Embargoed until then, but will post the link once I am allowed.

Congrats and huzzah! I had an article in Nature Structural Biology a long, long, time ago, haven't been able to match it since.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    O/T:

A few weeks ago someone "unmasked" James Maybrick's brother as Jack the Ripper. Now another amateur sleuth says it was someone called Francis Thompson:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/history/616896/Jack-The-Ripper-identity-mystery-solved
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

No10 on Sinai plane crash: "We have become concerned that the plane may well have been brought down by an explosive device."

I would like to think that one of the (relatively) rich countries that flies to Egypt would pay for further inspection devices (e.g. scanners). It seems an ideal use for foreign aid, as it protects 'our' people as well as theirs.

But that's all moot if it's a human factors issue.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

MTimT said:

kle4 said:

MTimT said:

kle4 said:

antifrank said:

Sad to say. I'm sorry, I draw the line at preferring sultanas over raisans. Politics is subjective, but some things should be unquestionable.
    Marmite is awesome!

A case of minor brain-freeze at Coventry station a few weeks ago - bought a cheese roll from the café there thinking it was Cheese and Branstons, but it was actually Cheese and Marmite! I wondered why it was a little soggy :lol:
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cadbury's chocolate is, I'm sorry to say, generally horrible.

Neuhaus dark chocolate orange sticks. Prestat truffles. That's the way to go.

Lindt or Frey from Switzerland.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited November 2015

BBC - Leicester MP Keith Vaz urges Coca-Cola Christmas truck tour to avoid city.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-34718933

Today's top wanker award.

He really is an odious man and somebody shown to have dodgy expenses among other things, but there still is in a top select committee role.

Even a brief look at wikipedia page will show he has been involved in scandals times and time again, many of which brought down other people, but some how he is still there clinging to the greasy pole.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Cyclefree said:

Did you ever stop at Bendicks on Black Boy Hill on the way back from lectures? Couldn't afford to do so often (first year only I was in Wells), but it was always a luxury reward event.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    MTimT said:

Quite. Revolting = Hershey

Mr. T, due to your Amerification, your views on chocolate are inherently dubious.

I do miss British confectionary and savoury biscuits. Fortunately, Cadbury's are now available but the complaint is that Hershey's have f'd up the formula for the US market.
    Hershey 's chocolate is the work of the devil. It smells like baby puke and is disgustingly sweet.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

MTimT said:

kle4 said:

MTimT said:

kle4 said:

antifrank said:

Marmite is awesome!

A case of minor brain-freeze at Coventry station a few weeks ago - bought a cheese roll from the café there thinking it was Cheese and Branstons, but it was actually Cheese and Marmite! I wondered why it was a little soggy :lol:
    Urrrrrgggh, :(

Having said that, if it's winter and I've got a cold, a mug of Bovril is just the ticket.

As an aside, that's peeved Mrs J. She got sort-of addicted to Bovril when it was veggie due to BSE, but she can't drink it now it's gone back to beef.
  • Options

MTimT said:

Apropo of nothing (except bragging), just signed off on the final proof of my next piece for publication. Four page Comment in a little rag called Nature. Due out Thursday 12 November. Embargoed until then, but will post the link once I am allowed.

Congratulations.

Your book arrived a couple of days ago, and I'm looking forward to reading it. Second hand unfortunately, so you won't get any income from it. :( If you'd like to nominate a charity for a couple of quid to go to?

Unusually, Mrs J picked it up from my to-be-read stack and took it before me. That usually only happens with sci-fi novels. Make of that what you will ...
    Thanks. No need, but feel free to donate to any animal rescue/shelter other than PETA.

Hope the missus enjoys (if that is the right word) it.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited November 2015
    The prospects for the LD in 2020 are limited, from past experience the memory of the coalition won't be forgotten for a generation so they won't get any votes from Labour, also FPTP will work even more against them especially in Tory held seats, so former LD voters that voted Tory will still vote Tory to keep Labour out.

In essence what worked for the LD in the past and made them gain votes from both the left and the right by playing up allegiances to them to earn their trust, now works against them as both sides suspect that the LD will work with the enemy rather than with them.

On seat terms, Labour will gain Sheffield Hallam, now that the Tories have no reason to prop Clegg up, the SNP will gain the Shetlands now that the local LD MP there has been disgraced, and the Tories can gain Southport though it's not a certainty. The LD will not gain a single seat.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,251
    The chocolate from here is to die for - http://www.gay-odin.it/

Mr Jessop: Marmite on toast / Marmite soldiers / a Marmite drink - these are all comfort foods. Admittedly Marmite and peanut butter sandwiches (often consumed in the Cyclefree household) are an acquired taste. But still.

In Naples there used to be a shop - Codringtons - named after some English admiral - where you could get English delicacies such as Marmite, tea etc for those Neapolitans fond of such things and the English community that resided there. I never did find a Neapolitan who liked Marmite - apart from me and my brother - but our visits there were a highlight and we enjoyed the shocked expressions of our relatives when we suggested cooking spaghetti with butter and Marmite and Parmesan.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Indigo said:

My reading of that is that any old plod can find out what sites you've visited if he or she wants to. All they need is the complicity of their boss and we've seen how the police like to help and protect their own.

They need the authority of a senior officer unconnected with the investigation, and only for specific named purposes. They also need to go through a central contact point to get the info, so it's not the case that they can sit trawling through private info without anyone knowing.
    PNC is only supposed to be accessed for specific named purposes as well, and yet we continually see members of the constabulary getting ticked off for looking at the records of people they either know, or would like to know. It hardly fills us with confidence.
    It doesn't fill you with confidence that there are methods in place to catch people misusing PNC, and when they are caught they are punished? What would it take to fill you with confidence?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

MTimT said:

kle4 said:

MTimT said:

kle4 said:

antifrank said:

Marmite is awesome!

My wife does not understand me when I insist we have some in the cupboard at all times.
  • Options
    Cadburys chocolate is piss poor, but Hersheys is even worse.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,614
    edited November 2015
    AndyJS said:

O/T:

A few weeks ago someone "unmasked" James Maybrick's brother as Jack the Ripper. Now another amateur sleuth says it was someone called Francis Thompson:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/history/616896/Jack-The-Ripper-identity-mystery-solved

I thought it was the German bloke wot committed similar crimes in the US?

Carl Feigenbaum
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    edited November 2015
    MTimT said:

Bad election night last night for both the Dems and the pollsters.

For the Dems, they lost the gubernatorial race in Kentucky and suffered setbacks in the state legislature elections, they lost the pot referendum in Ohio, failed to pick up just one seat in the Virginia Senate they needed to gain control, lost the HERO initiative in Houston, and their mayor in 'sanctuary city' San Fran. For the rest of the South, the tide continues to rise against the Dems - see this NYT article about how bad things are for them in WV.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/25/upshot/election-was-rough-for-democrats-it-was-worse-for-west-virginia-democrats.html?_r=0

The pollsters all called KY for Conway (Dem) - again they were wrong. Bevin took it 52.5% to 43.8% so not even close. Admittedly, these results are on very low turn out, so they talk more to the strength of the GOP base's anger rather than the overall support for their policies. But still - a very bad result for the pollsters and their ability to weight voting intention.

FWIW, I am being bombarded with emails from a whole bunch of political campaigns, not all of them federal and not all of the local ones in my state. They seem to have two purposes - fund raising, and making all local elections national.

A sample of what is on offer is here:
    https://secure.stophillarypac.org/bumper-sticker/Default.aspx?initiativekey=6PQZSC0EY8XQ

Amusing as it is, I don't see myself driving around with a Hillary for Prison sticker on my bumper.

Not a large number of results, but they do seem to have been uniformly bad for the Democrats. And, they also emphasise just how suddenly and strongly the Outer South (where Bill Clinton performed well) has turned against them.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Cyclefree said:

Did you ever stop at Bendicks on Black Boy Hill on the way back from lectures? Couldn't afford to do so often (first year only I was in Wells), but it was always a luxury reward event.
    I remember it. But didn't buy more than once or twice. I remember the fish and chip shop at the bottom and eating that on the walk up. TBH in years 1 & 2 I don't remember much cooking at all, apart from a disaster involving beans, which due no doubt to my ineptness, had turned into a Weapon of Mass Destruction all by themselves. It was only in the third year that I cooked properly.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

we enjoyed the shocked expressions of our relatives when we suggested cooking spaghetti with butter and Marmite and Parmesan.

:):o:)
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    For me it was when the Arab market became big and brands like Galaxy were filled with higher melting point fats - it became waxy and not so tasty.

It's still my favourite ordinary brand, but Lindt orange or Bournville remain tops for me. Old Jamaica is wonderful too if you can find it.

Cadburys chocolate is piss poor, but Hersheys is even worse.

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,019
    edited November 2015
    dr_spyn said:

There's loads of crap information and disinformation out there about this crash. They found yesterday the horizontal part of the tail, some distance from the rest of the wreckage, so it is looking like the accident sequence started with something that caused parts of the tail to separate from the aircraft. They have the two flight recorders so it shouldn't take more than a few days to get a rough idea of what happened. For a total loss crash this should be relatively easy for the technical investigation, they have all the bits and recorders. The difficult bit will be the competing Russian and Egyptian interests.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

MTimT said:

Congratulations.

Your book arrived a couple of days ago, and I'm looking forward to reading it. Second hand unfortunately, so you won't get any income from it. :( If you'd like to nominate a charity for a couple of quid to go to?

Unusually, Mrs J picked it up from my to-be-read stack and took it before me. That usually only happens with sci-fi novels. Make of that what you will ...
    Thanks. No need, but feel free to donate to any animal rescue/shelter other than PETA.

Like me, she's someone who finds information to be enjoyment. ;) I'll donate a few coins to Wood Green Animal Shelter.

As an aside, Mrs J is very pro-animal rights, but hates PETA with a passion. She's a veggie (now reluctantly for health reasons a pescetarian) Turkish liberal, with a father who was a senior diplomat who attempted to start up a political party. She's very interested in the region, especially as she lived in Iran for a short period during the Iran-Iraq war. Which is the reason she ended up being a liberal ...
  • Options
    I did like a few of the US chocolate bars while I was in Colorado a few years back. "Three Musketeers" was virtually the same as our Milky Way, while their "Milky Way" was not unlike a Mars Bar!

Tescos in Birmingham City Centre have a limited selection of US stuff, though not Three Musketeers, unfortunately.
  • Options

I did like a few of the US chocolate bars while I was in Colorado a few years back. "Three Musketeers" was virtually the same as our Milky Way, while their "Milky Way" was not unlike a Mars Bar!

Tescos in Birmingham City Centre have a limited selection of US stuff, though not Three Musketeers, unfortunately.

Even though it is piss poor chocolate, 3 Musketeers bar is my go to when in the US....my guilty pleasure :-)
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

MTimT said:

Cyclefree said:

I remember it. But didn't buy more than once or twice. I remember the fish and chip shop at the bottom and eating that on the walk up. TBH in years 1 & 2 I don't remember much cooking at all, apart from a disaster involving beans, which due no doubt to my ineptness, had turned into a Weapon of Mass Destruction all by themselves. It was only in the third year that I cooked properly.
    I started cooking in the second year. 6 of us shared a Jacobean farmhouse on 17 acres out in Dundry (A38 going just south of Bedminster, before the reservoir). We got free milk and potatoes from the farmer who rented the fields in return for feeding the cows.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Cyclefree said:

we enjoyed the shocked expressions of our relatives when we suggested cooking spaghetti with butter and Marmite and Parmesan.

It is a very very cheap dish.

When I lived briefly in Paris I used to hang out with a group of mostly French, Arabs, Italian and others. There were 2 English amongst us. One evening we decided that we would have a "Food from our Country" evening. The others were planning all sorts of treats while the English guy and I - somewhat mischievously and against the spirit of the evening - planned a whole menu consisting entirely of fairly disgusting food from tins and cans and packets: Spam, Angel Delight, corned beef, Heinz salad cream, that sort of thing, with not one bit of fresh food anywhere and no attempt at any, you know, actual cooking.

The others politely declined.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    dr_spyn said:

I don't think so, the Russians will want to say it's terrorism for political reasons and to remove any blame from the company, the Egyptians will never admit to anything but technical failure for tourism reasons, so the investigation will be botched.

However the tail broke first and broke clean off and there is evidence of a long term hydraulic fluid leak on the tail that has corroded at least the outer parts of the tail at some sections, along with the previous damage the tail suffered from an earlier accident, that seems sufficient to have caused the tail to snap.

Since there is no credible claim by a terrorist group that they did it, the most likely cause is the one outlined above. The closest comparison is the BEA flight-706: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_European_Airways_Flight_706
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,958
    edited November 2015
    kle4 said:

PClipp said:

kle4 said:

Ugly prospects, to be sure. I feel for them. They barely scraped my vote this time, but I want more parties to have decent numbers in parliament not less, and with UKIP facing their well known difficulties breaking through despite far better national poll numbers than the LDs, the Greens nowhere as usual, PC limited in scope and the SNP already having achieved dominance, the LDs are the only other option to be a strong party in Parliament, but there are so few areas that are ready to be won back with even a decent revival. They need miracles to win, at present, or they need a good result to hold and barely build on 2015, to try for a bigger push in 2025.

There seems little they can do, barring that poll revival the piece mentions they need just sort of happening from pure chance.

I thnk the PB Commentariat is being unduly pessimistic. Labour have a leader that most of its MPs do not want - so there is very prospect of the Labour Party falling to bits.

The Tories are horribly divided by the question of the EU - so much so that Cameron does not even dare to reveal what he is trying to negotiate. Once this becomes apparent, surely the Conservative Party will also fall to bits.

Meanwhile, the Lib Dems are reasonably united and beavering away to build up their election-winning machine again. In some places more than others, perhaps - but local government byelections have not been as totally grim as the PB Commentariat would have us believe - far from it! - and all the signs are that there is considerate enthusiasm and commitment for the excellent Jane Brophy´s campaign in Oldham.
    I wish your team well, but I do feel obligated to point out that the PBCommentariat, I believe, overestimated how well the LDs would do in 2015, in fact they were generous to their propsects. Doesn't mean the pessimism about their chances now is correct of course, but it's not as though that pessimism has been the default reaction.
    I was, um, pretty accurate in my predictions for 2015.

And fwiw this far out, I agree with antifrank. Down to 3 or 4 in 2020. My mates used to wax lyrical about lib Dems. They don't even get a mention nowadays. #spentforce
  • Options

MTimT said:

MTimT said:

Congratulations.

Like me, she's someone who finds information to be enjoyment. ;) I'll donate a few coins to Wood Green Animal Shelter.

As an aside, Mrs J is very pro-animal rights, but hates PETA with a passion. She's a veggie (now reluctantly for health reasons a pescetarian) Turkish liberal, with a father who was a senior diplomat who attempted to start up a political party. She's very interested in the region, especially as she lived in Iran for a short period during the Iran-Iraq war. Which is the reason she ended up being a liberal ...
    I think anyone who loves animals hates PETA. They are extremists praying on grannies.

Yet to make it to Iran, but may get there sometime in the next few years. Trying to organize a workshop in Shiraz.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Cyclefree said:

MTimT said:

Cyclefree said:

I started cooking in the second year. 6 of us shared a Jacobean farmhouse on 17 acres out in Dundry (A38 going just south of Bedminster, before the reservoir). We got free milk and potatoes from the farmer who rented the fields in return for feeding the cows.
    Can one be envious in retrospect? Because I'm beginning to be.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    I like Heinz Salad Creme. As a kid, I liked SPAM and corned beef. I tried both in the last couple of years and ARGH - esp SPAM = it's so salty.

Angel Delight from memory has a strange metallic quality - powdered potato like Smash is the work of the devil. Does anyone bar the very desperate/astronauts eat this anymore?
    Cyclefree said:

MTimT said:

Cyclefree said:

It is a very very cheap dish.

When I lived briefly in Paris I used to hang out with a group of mostly French, Arabs, Italian and others. There were 2 English amongst us. One evening we decided that we would have a "Food from our Country" evening. The others were planning all sorts of treats while the English guy and I - somewhat mischievously and against the spirit of the evening - planned a whole menu consisting entirely of fairly disgusting food from tins and cans and packets: Spam, Angel Delight, corned beef, Heinz salad cream, that sort of thing, with not one bit of fresh food anywhere and no attempt at any, you know, actual cooking.

The others politely declined.

• Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited November 2015
    Speedy said:

dr_spyn said:

I don't think so, the Russians will want to say it's terrorism for political reasons and to remove any blame from the company, the Egyptians will never admit to anything but technical failure for tourism reasons, so the investigation will be botched.

However the tail broke first and broke clean off and there is evidence of a long term hydraulic fluid leak on the tail that has corroded at least the outer parts of the tail at some sections, along with the previous damage the tail suffered from an earlier accident, that seems sufficient to have caused the tail to snap.

Since there is no credible claim by a terrorist group that they did it, the most likely cause is the one outlined above. The closest comparison is the BEA flight-706: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_European_Airways_Flight_706
    The Skydrol leak visible in photos in no worse than those found on many other aircraft. However the previous tail strike, and/or an engine failure would be a likely cause.

I wouldn't fly on a Russian built aircraft, or one leased and maintained by a Russian airline.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Cyclefree said:

Mr Jessop: Marmite on toast / Marmite soldiers / a Marmite drink - these are all comfort foods. Admittedly Marmite and peanut butter sandwiches (often consumed in the Cyclefree household) are an acquired taste. But still.

In Naples there used to be a shop - Codringtons - named after some English admiral - where you could get English delicacies such as Marmite, tea etc for those Neapolitans fond of such things and the English community that resided there. I never did find a Neapolitan who liked Marmite - apart from me and my brother - but our visits there were a highlight and we enjoyed the shocked expressions of our relatives when we suggested cooking spaghetti with butter and Marmite and Parmesan.

Hah

Banana and brown sugar toasted sandwiches :)
  • Options
    MTimT said:

MTimT said:

MTimT said:

Congratulations.

I think anyone who loves animals hates PETA. They are extremists praying on grannies.

Yet to make it to Iran, but may get there sometime in the next few years. Trying to organize a workshop in Shiraz.
    Her stories of her time there are both funny and nasty. She was under ten, and it was a couple of years after the revolution. By all accounts they've become much more (relatively) moderate since then.

Her (then) diplomatic passport got her out of many sticky situations. Young armed men fired up with religious fervour and the state's power are not the nicest people, whatever the state and religion.

Which is a shame, as it's a country I wouldn't mind visiting. Along with Iraq, Israel and Jordan. A tour of those countries might prove rather difficult, especially one after the other.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    MTimT said:

kle4 said:

MTimT said:

kle4 said:

MTimT said:

kle4 said:

antifrank said:

Ah, I'm a bit of a traitor there - I'm a vegemite man.
    Such oddity probably explains why I've voted LD several times - they should target the weird vote - I know people will say they already do, but mostly a particular type of weirdy, whereas there's a lot of weird people out there waiting to be tapped.
    Did you spend time Down Under or are you truly weird?
    No time down under, just weird - although I can blame my parents for stocking our cupboards with it rather than Marmite I should think, preconditioning me to prefer it.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

dr_spyn said:

No 10 has apparently cancelled all flights from the UK to Sharm-el-Sheikh and sent aviation experts out there. Not great for the Egyptian tourism industry.

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

MTimT said:

Cyclefree said:

MTimT said:

Cyclefree said:

This will just make it worse: http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/06/3a/7a/9d/colliters-brook-farm.jpg

We paid GBP7.50 per week each in rent, IIRC.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2015
    Regarding Marmite, it was the cause of a hilarious afternoon years ago when I was a student in Paris. One day there was a knock on the door from my neighbours, whom I didn't know at all. They had come to invite me in for a glass of champagne. I was rather shy at first but eventually accepted, and went across to their flat. There I was regaled with copious amounts of champagne, together with a delicious salade composée and sorbets from Chez Bertillon (the best in Paris at the time).

Gradually the story emerged. My hosts were about to be thrown out of the flat because they hadn't actually paid any rent, but they were desperate to meet me before they left. The reason? They had seen an empty jar of Marmite in the dustbin and wanted to find out what someone who'd actually eat that stuff was like.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

I still don't like the idea of giving the plod or any local government idiots access to any of the information gathered by the result of this Bill. It should be for the Spooks and only for the Spooks.

As I've already said (not that I'm doing anything other than reading out what's in the Guardian), local authorities will be explicitly excluded from accessing this information. That's a reduction in their current powers. What's more the Bill adds a whole load more safeguards, including for the first time judicial authorisation of interception warrants.
    The Bill is here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/473770/Draft_Investigatory_Powers_Bill.pdf

Schedule 4 lists the authorities that can access the data.

Local authorities may be excluded but the lost is certainly more than just the police and security services and includes NHS Trusts and HMRC as well.
  • Options
    Miss Cyclefree, does make it sound like they think it was a bomb.
  • Options
    Great article antifrank and I agree with the logic. The assumption that there will be an automatic recovery for the Lib Dems (or that the only way is up) is very flawed. UKIP came very close to getting zero seats this year on a far greater share of the vote - the 10/1 of the Lib Dems getting zero next time seems about like a reasonable longshot.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

I still don't like the idea of giving the plod or any local government idiots access to any of the information gathered by the result of this Bill. It should be for the Spooks and only for the Spooks.

As I've already said (not that I'm doing anything other than reading out what's in the Guardian), local authorities will be explicitly excluded from accessing this information. That's a reduction in their current powers. What's more the Bill adds a whole load more safeguards, including for the first time judicial authorisation of interception warrants.
    The Bill is here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/473770/Draft_Investigatory_Powers_Bill.pdf

Local authorities may be excluded but the lost is certainly more than just the police and security services and includes NHS Trusts and HMRC as well.
    Why would an NHS Trust ever need to request to see my web browsing habits?
  • Options

MTimT said:

MTimT said:

MTimT said:

Congratulations.

Her stories of her time there are both funny and nasty. She was under ten, and it was a couple of years after the revolution. By all accounts they've become much more (relatively) moderate since then.

Her (then) diplomatic passport got her out of many sticky situations. Young armed men fired up with religious fervour and the state's power are not the nicest people, whatever the state and religion.

Which is a shame, as it's a country I wouldn't mind visiting. Along with Iraq, Israel and Jordan. A tour of those countries might prove rather difficult, especially one after the other.
    Amazingly, the closest I have come to Israel is the Dead Sea and the Allenby Bridge. That may change in January - I have been asked to do some training for a bunch of Israelis, Palestinians and Jordanians (yes, in the same room at the same time).

Jordan is easy and a pleasure to visit. All the interesting stuff in Iraq is probably a little dangerous at the moment.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Been travelling all day.. how did PMQs go..
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,214
    edited November 2015
    The LDs will get Labour tactical votes next time which they lost in 2015 so I would not be surprised to see them get 15 to 20 seats even if they only rose a fraction in the popular vote to 10% or so
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''Regarding Marmite, it was the cause of a hilarious afternoon years ago when I was a student in Paris.''

No money for rent but plenty for champers??

That's France, right there
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474

It's sounds like they're playing safe, and until any conclusions are reached, are doing what they can to ensure British travellers can travel safely in and out of Egypt.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,823

I like Heinz Salad Creme. As a kid, I liked SPAM and corned beef. I tried both in the last couple of years and ARGH - esp SPAM = it's so salty.

Salad Cream - with Iceberg lettuce,great stuff!
    Corned Beef - There's some more up-market varieties than the stuff I used to eat. Corned beef and pickle sandwiches are great!
    Luncheon Meat/Spam - Spam fritters are great!

I think that in all of these cases I'd like them today if they were used in the perfect combination (as above). Probably it's just that you can make two lesser ingredients better when combined. And of course also the taste of childhood - that and the coal-dust in my mouth from the working in the mines and getting up before I went to bed.

There're some other foods I'd mention which I'd happily eat again, but really don't.

Tinned peaches
    Tinned pears
    Liver Sausage
    Fish and Chips with newsprint tang

• Options
    Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Hah

That sounds rather nice.

I have some esoteric food tastes. Deep fried calves brains with a sharp green sauce or lemon is most delicious!

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Hah

That sounds rather nice.

I have some esoteric food tastes. Deep fried calves brains with a sharp green sauce or lemon is most delicious!

Melted Toblerone on vanilla ice cream is a personal favorite as well...
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291

MaxPB said:

The Bill is here:

Investigations into incidence of repetitive strain injuries of wrists.

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Pulpstar said:

How likely is the 600 seat bill to get through parliament btw - i suspect it is one bill that the DUP won't support (But the UUP might... maybe).

And it will also rely on atleast a few Tory MPs voting themselves into redundancy.

I'm not convinced the boundary changes will happen.
  • Options

It seems to be something to do with the ambulance service, judging by the fact that it has to be authorised by the 'Director of Operations or Control and Communications Manager' or 'Duty Manager of Ambulance Trust Control Rooms', and that other ambulance services also have powers.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

And it will also rely on atleast a few Tory MPs voting themselves into redundancy.

I'm not convinced the boundary changes will happen.
    Will the Labour leadership want to vote against it? The boundary changes open up interesting opportunities for them too.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Hah

That sounds rather nice.

First time I had sheep brains was in Istambul, at the tender age of 22. I was dining alone in a local caravanserai, and the table of Turks next to me thought this was just awful, so insisted I join them, and proceeded to insist I try every dish on their table. It was the dish I most enjoyed.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Ewwwww spam fritters - I associate them with school dinners and squeezing the fat out of them with the tines of my fork.

I've no sweet tooth, but did like tinned peaches as a ween. Iceberg lettuce is ambrosia.

I'm fond of tomato juice/Lea & Perrins and dipping celery into it....
    Omnium said:

Corned Beef - There's some more up-market varieties than the stuff I used to eat. Corned beef and pickle sandwiches are great!

I think that in all of these cases I'd like them today if they were used in the perfect combination (as above). Probably it's just that you can make two lesser ingredients better when combined. And of course also the taste of childhood - that and the coal-dust in my mouth from the working in the mines and getting up before I went to bed.

There're some other foods I'd mention which I'd happily eat again, but really don't.

Tinned peaches
    Tinned pears
    Liver Sausage

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Hah

That sounds rather nice.

Indeed, almost like a custardless bread pudding.

In Yemen, they use the leftover unleaven bread for breakfast the next morning. It is a very thin variety of bread, so gets very stale very fast, and breaks into small, water biscuit/cracker-like pieces. These are mixed with bananas mushed in honey. A great way to start the day.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Sounds like the sort of thing that gets you a Peerage.
  • Options
    edited November 2015

It seems to be something to do with the ambulance service, judging by the fact that it has to be authorised by the 'Director of Operations or Control and Communications Manager' or 'Duty Manager of Ambulance Trust Control Rooms', and that other ambulance services also have powers.
    So why would the ambulance service ever need to see my browsing history then? That seems even more unnecessary.
  • Options
    watford30 said:

It's sounds like they're playing safe, and until any conclusions are reached, are doing what they can to ensure British travellers can travel safely in and out of Egypt.
    Sounds like someone went for a walk around Sharm airport and weren't too happy with what they saw, so London have sent a more formal team to make sure that the security is as it should be. Over on the pilots forums the general impression of people flying there regularly was that it wouldn't be too difficult for a bad guy to 'facilitate' his way around Sharm airport security if he wished.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Cyclefree said:

MTimT said:

Cyclefree said:

MTimT said:

Cyclefree said:

This will just make it worse: http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/06/3a/7a/9d/colliters-brook-farm.jpg

Yes, thank you. It did.

This was where I was. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-46248574.html

Didn't look a bit like that when I was there. It was divided into flats. The only bit I remember is the conservatory where I grew herbs - basil, mainly.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

The LDs will get Labour tactical votes next time which they lost in 2015 so I would not be surprised to see them get 15 to 20 seats even if they only rose a fraction in the popular vote to 10% or so

The LD will gain no tactical votes at all since both sides suspect that the LD will work with their enemies.
    Labour and SNP voters will refrain due to memories of the coalition, Tory voters will refrain out of fear Labour will enter government in a coalition, and UKIP will get the protest vote.

It took 40 years for the LD to recover from the last coalition they entered, so I expect a similar timescale for this one.
  • Options

Ewwwww spam fritters - I associate them with school dinners and squeezing the fat out of them with the tines of my fork.

I've no sweet tooth, but did like tinned peaches as a ween. Iceberg lettuce is ambrosia.

Omnium said:

Tinned peaches
    Tinned pears
    Liver Sausage

I'm reliably informed by a foodie friend that Iceberg lettuce is an invention of the Devil. She condemns Salad Cream in fuller language.

@Cyclefree re 'Marmite drinks' - I've always found Bovril to be the perfect 'Marmite drink'. Somehow they're not even slightly interchangeable. Bovril on toast is rubbish, and marmite and hot water gets dull fast. Clearly they're not quite the same thing, but I rather associate the two.

• Options
    kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Well, that would also put the kibosh on attempts to clip the Lords' wings over thenext few years, so win/win for me :p

Of course, there's also the possibility the Tory majority will be even slimmer by the time the Boundary Changes vote comes up, either through byelection defeats and/or more defections to UKIP after the EU referendum.
  • Options
    On topic: I tipped Farron for leader a few years ago, but have been disappointed with him, so far.

I'm still considering joining either the Lib Dems or the Conservatives, if only to help someone trounce Corbyn's intellectually poor Labour. Sadly after my tipping him, Farron's near-silence since the GE (*) has dissuaded me, so far.

(*) This might be the media's fault rather than his own.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

MTimT said:

Cyclefree said:

MTimT said:

Cyclefree said:

MTimT said:

Cyclefree said:

Yes, thank you. It did.

This was where I was. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-46248574.html

Didn't look a bit like that when I was there. It was divided into flats. The only bit I remember is the conservatory where I grew herbs - basil, mainly.

Not too shabby either, especially the location.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Hah

That sounds rather nice.

Melted Toblerone on vanilla ice cream is a personal favorite as well...
    Don't like Toblerone. It's the honey. Can't bear the stuff. It used to be put in hot milk to be drunk when I had a sore throat, which was very often. Put me right off.
  • Options
    edited November 2015

So why would the ambulance service ever need to see my browsing history then? That seems even more unnecessary.

I have no idea, but at a guess it would be for the situation where they were urgently trying to locate someone who'd made an emergency call? I doubt if it is a new power.
  • Options
    edited November 2015

I have no idea, but at a guess it would be for the situation where they were urgently trying to locate someone who'd made an emergency call? I doubt if it is a new power.
    Nope not buying that I am afraid Richard. You don't need to view what web sites I have visited for the ambulance to locate me.

Also, just because a service already has a power, it doesn't mean it is right either.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Well, that would also put the kibosh on attempts to clip the Lords' wings over thenext few years, so win/win for me :p

Of course, there's also the possibility the Tory majority will be even slimmer by the time the Boundary Changes vote comes up, either through byelection defeats and/or more defections to UKIP after the EU referendum.
    Having said that, I suppose it's possible the Tories could leave Scottish boundaries unreformed, then pass a Bill specifically for English & Welsh boundaries under EVEL.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    The Lib Dems impressed me with their spirit just after the election when Twitter was full of talk about the Lib Dem fight back and how many new members they had recruited. But then Corbyn comes along and increases the Labour membership by more than the whole of the Lib Dems put together. They might well have expected some kind of boost from a left wing Labour leader. But that hasn't materialised either. They do still have the pavement politics approach up their sleeve. They must have some great expertise in that after all. But that is a long slog and they are starting from a pretty low base in local government. If I were a Lib Dem I'd be thinking about buying a comfy pair of shoes and getting out on the doorsteps. And I'd probably forget about Westminster and focus on the local town hall.

It might pay off for them. The right kind of crisis could still make them the best port in a storm.

In the meantime, the lack of a popular centre party has at least enabled Labour to have its first radical left wing leader without immediately losing a shedload of votes. The right kind of Liberal revival could even get Labour into Downing Street. But the biggest effect of the collapse of the centre is to give the Tories a very comfortable electoral position.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Tinned peaches
    Tinned pears
    Liver Sausage

I'm reliably informed by a foodie friend that Iceberg lettuce is an invention of the Devil. She condemns Salad Cream in fuller language.

@Cyclefree re 'Marmite drinks' - I've always found Bovril to be the perfect 'Marmite drink'. Somehow they're not even slightly interchangeable. Bovril on toast is rubbish, and marmite and hot water gets dull fast. Clearly they're not quite the same thing, but I rather associate the two.

I always thought Bovril was a beef bouillon concentrate, whereas Marmite is some mysterious yeast extract.

PS Hot bovril in the winter is tops.
  • Options

Nope not buying that I am afraid Richard. You don't need to view what web sites I have visited for the ambulance to locate me.

Also, just because a service already has a power, it doesn't mean it is right either.
    Get your MP to ask Theresa May. Not everything is an evil conspiracy. Sometimes there's a perfectly reasonable explanation, it's just that you haven't thought of it.
  • Options
    "Flights from Egypt's Sharm el-Sheikh to the UK have been delayed amid concerns a Russian plane crash on Saturday was caused by an "explosive device".
    All flights due to leave the resort for Britain this evening are affected, to allow UK experts to assess airport security there, Downing Street said.
    Flights have been suspended as a "precautionary measure" after "more information has come to light"."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34724604
  • Options
    watford30 said:

Speedy said:

dr_spyn said:

The Skydrol leak visible in photos in no worse than those found on many other aircraft. However the previous tail strike, and/or an engine failure would be a likely cause.

I wouldn't fly on a Russian built aircraft, or one leased and maintained by a Russian airline.
    And I would not trust the outcome of any Russian enquiry. The govt may well have some info they cannot disclose. It could be anything at moment, so govt is probably being wise in being overcautious. This plane however looks a dead ringer for an accident waiting to happen. If it is a bomb however it marks a terrible slap in the face of Putin's braggadocio.
  • Options
    I wonder when this subject comes up if Marmite has some genetic thing to it. IIRC there are starches which taste like ear wax to some and tasteless to others. A bit like rolling your tongue or having dimples.
    MTimT said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Tinned peaches
    Tinned pears
    Liver Sausage

I always thought Bovril was a beef bouillon concentrate, whereas Marmite is some mysterious yeast extract.

PS Hot bovril in the winter is tops.
  • Options

They could find someone who made an emergency call very quickly from the phone company. Not sure if they use it yet but there's the technological capability of 999 services to see a mobile phone calling them on a map based on triangulation or for some smartphones the onboard GPS.

By the way, how easy is it to get an unregistered pay as you go SIM card with a data plan in the UK these days? There was talk about requiring ID to get a SIM a few years back but did it come to anything?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,214
    Speedy said:

HYUFD said:

The LD will gain no tactical votes at all since both sides suspect that the LD will work with their enemies.
    Labour and SNP voters will refrain due to memories of the coalition, Tory voters will refrain out of fear Labour will enter government in a coalition, and UKIP will get the protest vote.

It took 40 years for the LD to recover from the last coalition they entered, so I expect a similar timescale for this one.
    No that is wrong in respect of of LD Tory Marginals which was what I was referring to. There Labour voters could not vote for Clegg when he was in coalition with the Tories but they could vote for Farron where the LDs not Labour are still the main challengers to the Tories in their seat
  • Options

Why browsing history to find a call? That doesn't make sense.

The more you create a honey pot like having all this information about people the more likely it is that people, including bad people, will want access to it. Information is valuable, very valuable. The more bodies have the right to view the information, the greater the chances of them using it and the greater the chances of people in those organisations misusing the information.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Having said that, I suppose it's possible the Tories could leave Scottish boundaries unreformed, then pass a Bill specifically for English & Welsh boundaries under EVEL.
    The proposals posted here yesterday hosed the number of seats expected to RISE in Scotland from 59 to 61 as the total shrinks from 650 to 600 in the UK as a whole.

The obvious reason for that is increased voter registration in advance of the referendum last year but there may be other factors too.
  • Options

Been travelling all day.. how did PMQs go..

Not well for the sick chicken apparently. And it went I to 10 minutes overtime.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

"Flights from Egypt's Sharm el-Sheikh to the UK have been delayed amid concerns a Russian plane crash on Saturday was caused by an "explosive device".
    All flights due to leave the resort for Britain this evening are affected, to allow UK experts to assess airport security there, Downing Street said.
    Flights have been suspended as a "precautionary measure" after "more information has come to light"."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34724604

My money is still on mechanical failure due to poor repairs. I'm probably wrong though.
  • Options
    Has anyone flown from Sharm el-Sheikh? What was security like there?
  • Options
    @Cyclefree - The list in Schedule 4 is pretty straightforward for the most part - spooks, police, fraud investigators etc. It seems to include all the various ambulance services as well, and the person who can authorise it seems to be the officer in charge of the control centre, so it's obviously something to do with urgent operational purposes. I don't know what the reason is, but it's pretty silly to jump to the conclusion that it's not a sensible reason.
  • Options

Get your MP to ask Theresa May. Not everything is an evil conspiracy. Sometimes there's a perfectly reasonable explanation, it's just that you haven't thought of it.
    If there's a reasonable explanation then perhaps Mrs May can bloody well tell us rather than claiming that it's all needed to protect us from monsters and dragons in her awful "I know best, children" voice.

We're not fools. We can see the holes in the arguments. And we're right to be sceptical of the authorities given how bloody useless they've proved to be, how careless of legalities, how inclined to overreach.

At work I'm the one who has access to emails and calls for investigative purposes and it is very very tightly controlled and I have to jump through hoops to get it etc. So I have some understanding of what is needed to carry out investigations. And we don't allow the office nurse to read emails nor the canteen people nor the building maintenance people to read them, which is what her "and others" seems to entail.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

Tony Blair used to be a regular as I recall.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/569907-breaking-news-airliner-missing-within-egyptian-fir-47.html#post9169149
    Why did it take a incident like this to promt action from Governments/Airlines. Anyone who has travelled from Sharm will know security is almost non existant.
    Assumed to be from a pilot operating into Sharm.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Cyclefree said:

At work I'm the one who has access to emails and calls for investigative purposes and it is very very tightly controlled and I have to jump through hoops to get it etc. So I have some understanding of what is needed to carry out investigations. And we don't allow the office nurse to read emails nor the canteen people nor the building maintenance people to read them, which is what her "and others" seems to entail.

That's simply not the case. The whole Bill is full of controls and explicit rules as to who can authorise this stuff and for what purposes, and (if I've understood correctly, admittedly only on a quick skim of a 300-page document), there will also be Codes of Practice for each department.
  • Options
    back OT:

The LDs will start to realise how lucky they've been with leaders recently as Farron's reign unfolds. Somehow, despite peddling a daft "I'm in the middle, but I'm better" argument the LD leaders in recent years have made a great deal of headway. Farron isn't the man to do that sort of thing. However he's a serious politician and it'll be interesting to see what he says.

And then there was a bit of a gap...

It's probably the press coverage being very limited, but the LDs are pretty much off the radar, and he has to change that.

I think the LDs as a party, and as they stand, can't continue. I'm sure that the core Liberal ideas (which are an important distinction), and the general pragmatism, can't be unrepresented, but equally I'm sure that there's no energy in the current arrangements.

My guess therefore is that Farron will preside over a dying party. They need to find some sort of lodestone.

You can't have all those supporters, all that history, and all of that space without some strand filling it though. I'm going with Clegg coming back and sporting a beard.

• Options
    AndyJS said:

What were they saying about security at Malta and Frankfurt before Pam 103?

I fear airline security has much in common with the military: they are always fighting the last battle.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Richard is very confident that the safeguards / rules about who gets this information and how they use it will work...

CPS fined £200,000 over theft of interview film laptops

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34718932

We also only have to think about to last week and Talk Talk hack...
  • Options

Richard is very confident that the safeguards / rules about who gets this information and how they use it will work...

So we'd better not allow the CPS to conduct interviews?
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Don't be a tw@t....it is just yet another couple of examples of how piss poor government agencies (and companies) are when it comes to data security.

You seem to think some code of conducts written in the bill will be 100% adhered to and that this data will be safely and securely handled. People are always the weak link the chain. It takes just one rogue employee or one moron.

The CPS can't manage to deal with sensitive interview data properly, Talk Talk can't stop a 15 year old hacking their systems (and the 3rd such hack in a year) i.e. their systems aren't up to scratch.

But its ok the CPS have been fined £200k, which is a) too late after the fact and b) pointless, but ultimately it is our money just going around the cycle.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

The Lib Dems impressed me with their spirit just after the election when Twitter was full of talk about the Lib Dem fight back and how many new members they had recruited. But then Corbyn comes along and increases the Labour membership by more than the whole of the Lib Dems put together. They might well have expected some kind of boost from a left wing Labour leader. But that hasn't materialised either. They do still have the pavement politics approach up their sleeve. They must have some great expertise in that after all. But that is a long slog and they are starting from a pretty low base in local government. If I were a Lib Dem I'd be thinking about buying a comfy pair of shoes and getting out on the doorsteps. And I'd probably forget about Westminster and focus on the local town hall.

It might pay off for them. The right kind of crisis could still make them the best port in a storm.

In the meantime, the lack of a popular centre party has at least enabled Labour to have its first radical left wing leader without immediately losing a shedload of votes. The right kind of Liberal revival could even get Labour into Downing Street. But the biggest effect of the collapse of the centre is to give the Tories a very comfortable electoral position.

Pretty much matches my own thoughts. Local elections, the Welsh and Scottish elections are the place too start. There will be a lot of active Remain campaigning too.

LD votes are coupled together. Almost always in the last 50 years when Labour have gained Westminter seats, so did the LDs. I think Lamb would have been better for the fightback, but a tough one for anyone.
  • Options
    I'm usually quite sanguine about @Richard_Nabavi and his views being quite Party Line, but on security/surveillance I'm at a loss.

He's so relaxed that I wonder if he's a commercial reason for being so.

Don't be a tw@t....it is just yet another couple of examples of how piss poor government agencies (and companies) are when it comes to data security.

You seem to think some code of conducts written in the bill will be 100% adhered to and that this data will be safely and securely handled. People are always the weak link the chain. It takes just one rogue employee or one moron.

The CPS can't manage to deal with sensitive interview data properly, Talk Talk can't stop a 15 year old hacking their systems (and the 3rd such hack in a year) i.e. their systems aren't up to scratch.