Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Jeb Bush’s bid for the GOP nomination looks even more in do

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited October 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Jeb Bush’s bid for the GOP nomination looks even more in doubt after a clumsy performance in latest primary debate

The clip above gives a taste of the overnight third Republican debate. Bush, who not too long ago had been touching evens in the nomination betting, was under huge pressure to assert himself and take on the young Senator from Florida his own state, Marco Rubio.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    He snipes the first!
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    RobD said:

He snipes the first!

How vulgar .... :astonished:

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    This is leading the BBC's news website:

"Collapsed charity Kids Company given £46m in public cash"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34661273
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    AndyJS said:

What is the political import of this story? It's been all over pb for months but I still do not see how it affects betting on politics. Is it good for Corbyn, bad for Sturgeon? Does it impact the Conservative succession: was Osborne in favour but Boris against? Is this scandal the death knell of Cameron's big society?

I'm not trying to have a pop at anyone who's been regularly posting about KC but as the lawyers say, it all looks a bit sui generis.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Ted Cruz had the moment of the night, attacking the moderators, as did Rubio. The questions were designed to bait the candidates. The questions were terrible, and I cannot recall another debate where the audience lustily booed the questions. Harwood asked Rubio a question about his tax plan, and was completely demolished by Rubio pointing out that after he had written a NY Times article about it, he had to correct it to show what Rubio was saying, when Harwood was arguing the original anti-Rubio thrust of the article. Harwood even denied he'd had to correct the article.

Becky Quick asked Trump a question challenging (correctly) his opposition to increasing the number of H1B visas. Trump denied it and she wondered aloud where she had read it, then apologized for asking it. 30 minutes later she said she remembered - it was on Trump's website.

There was even a question about Fantasy Football.

It really was that bad.

The moderators would ask a question, then interrupt the response.

Bush was awful, and if he's not done he's on the way to it. He looked demoralized.

Rubio helped himself. Fiorina spoke the most.

If you want proof of the liberal bias of the media, this was it.

CNBC should be utterly ashamed.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    Tim_B

In 2012, there were plenty of times the audience booed the moderators. Basically any question where the moderators asked a difficult question from the left, they would boo.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    On the debates, Cruz did well but he looks one for next time rather than 2016. Did anyone else get the impression there'd been an official GOP memo: stop attacking each other; go after Clinton and the media.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

What is the political import of this story? It's been all over pb for months but I still do not see how it affects betting on politics. Is it good for Corbyn, bad for Sturgeon? Does it impact the Conservative succession: was Osborne in favour but Boris against? Is this scandal the death knell of Cameron's big society?

I'm not trying to have a pop at anyone who's been regularly posting about KC but as the lawyers say, it all looks a bit sui generis.
    It has political relevance for why Cameron was giving away so much money to someone without basic scrutiny.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Ted Cruz had the moment of the night, attacking the moderators, as did Rubio. The questions were designed to bait the candidates. The questions were terrible, and I cannot recall another debate where the audience lustily booed the questions. Harwood asked Rubio a question about his tax plan, and was completely demolished by Rubio pointing out that after he had written a NY Times article about it, he had to correct it to show what Rubio was saying, when Harwood was arguing the original anti-Rubio thrust of the article. Harwood even denied he'd had to correct the article.

Becky Quick asked Trump a question challenging (correctly) his opposition to increasing the number of H1B visas. Trump denied it and she wondered aloud where she had read it, then apologized for asking it. 30 minutes later she said she remembered - it was on Trump's website.

It really was that bad.

Bush was awful, and if he's not done he's on the way to it. He looked demoralized.

Debates should not be party political broadcasts. Candidates need to tested and questioned with vigour outside of their comfort zone.

Presently the problem with the GOP debates is the sheer scale of the operation. It's vastly unwieldy with very little opportunity for the selectorate to get a handle on the aspiring candidates. Clearly this situation will change as the dross falls away and then the GOP will be left with a better class of dross to tack to the right and secure the nomination.

It's a dance that the GOP nominee is forced to jive and severely handicaps their chances in the general election. One may only wonder how many times they will lose the presidency before they realize that looking like a member of the human race in the 21st century is a prerequisite for the Oval Office.

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    JEO said:

AndyJS said:

It has political relevance for why Cameron was giving away so much money to someone without basic scrutiny.
    Not just Cameron but the Blair and Brown governments too. It's hugely relevant as to how people and organisations can become untouchable and then often descend into corruption. I was a huge fan of the Big Society idea, that communities should come together and work with each other rather than have everyone rely on the government.

It's clear that there needs to be huge reform of the charity sector, I would be in favour of reducing the regulations on small charities but increasing transparency on the larger ones. We should know when we donate to Shelter, as just one example, that they provide shelter for no-one and spend their donations lobbying government and pushing people up waiting lists. This isn't bad in itself, but I am sure that many of their donors think their money is going to actually put a roof over some poor person's head.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Tim_B said:

It really was that bad.

Debates should not be party political broadcasts. Candidates need to tested and questioned with vigour outside of their comfort zone.

Presently the problem with the GOP debates is the sheer scale of the operation. It's vastly unwieldy with very little opportunity for the selectorate to get a handle on the aspiring candidates. Clearly this situation will change as the dross falls away and then the GOP will be left with a better class of dross to tack to the right and secure the nomination.

It's a dance that the GOP nominee is forced to jive and severely handicaps their chances in the general election. One may only wonder how many times they will lose the presidency before they realize that looking like a member of the human race in the 21st century is a prerequisite for the Oval Office.

I think it's fair that participants should be scrutinised from right, left and centre. But when it is ridiculous questions like "shouldn't you resign" or "weren't you vetted", then it is the moderators pushing an attack ad of their own.
  • Options
    Catching up on PMQs before watching the US debate. I can't decide whether Corbyn asking the same question six times was good or bad for him. Dave gave a fair reply the first time about the response to the Lords defeat being set out in the Autumn Statement, to carry on asking the same question just allowed the PM all his soundbites about recovery, unemployment, personal allowances, childcare etc etc.

Also some very kind words at the start from the PM about Michael Meacher.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    JackW said:

Tim_B said:

It really was that bad.

Indeed they do - the Fox debate was a great example of that. The fact that both CNN and Fox are saying exactly the same thing about CNBC and the snarky questioning tells you this wasn't it.

Tough questions are good - those that are designed to bait the candidates are not, and neither are gotcha questions, of which there were many of both.

• Options
    Interesting watching the post-debate coverage. Universal condemnation for the moderators and CNBC, and many of them came up with the same word to describe the questioning - snarky.
  • Options
    A heartwarming story about Prince Harry, it looks like he has found his vocation and his work with disabled veterans across the world will have an immeasurable impact on their lives.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/11961607/Prince-Harry-tells-US-wounded-veterans-Afghanistan-changed-my-life.html
  • Options
    JEO said:

JackW said:

Tim_B said:

It really was that bad.

I think it's fair that participants should be scrutinised from right, left and centre. But when it is ridiculous questions like "shouldn't you resign" or "weren't you vetted", then it is the moderators pushing an attack ad of their own.
    I disagree fundamentally.

Candidates should be tested to within an inch of their political life. The more so as they are essentially interviewing to become one of the two viable options for the presidency and thus leader of the "western world" and the most powerful nation on earth.

• Options
    @JEO

it is the moderators pushing an attack ad of their own.

All three moderators are quite liberal. At least CNN included Hugh Hewitt in their liberal lineup to provide some balance. CNBC went for an ambush and it backfired spectacularly.

The overnights will be interesting, as it was up against a World Series game, involving the NY Mets and KC.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

AndyJS said:

A lot of people think it's important to find out how £46m could be wasted in these circumstances.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

JackW said:

Tim_B said:

It really was that bad.

Indeed they do - the Fox debate was a great example of that. The fact that both CNN and Fox are saying exactly the same thing about CNBC and the snarky questioning tells you this wasn't it.

Tough questions are good - those that are designed to bait the candidates are not, and neither are gotcha questions, of which there were many of both.

See my 6:35am reply below.

Added to which I'd say that this is the most important job interview in the world. I want to see them respond to baited and gotcha questions and much more because the POTUS will face far worse in office.

Let us see their mettle under the challenge from the media - fair or not.

• Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    It didn't get Comrade Corbyn anywhere, yet the journos are mostly saying how clever he was.

I've no idea why since it did hand an open goal to Cameron to spout lots of killer facts.

I think they're just desperate to create some form of *tension* to a flaccid exchange, and to my eyes it's just EdM retread - so much for different style of PMQs. I think that lasted 2 or 3 weeks.
    Sandpit said:

Catching up on PMQs before watching the US debate. I can't decide whether Corbyn asking the same question six times was good or bad for him. Dave gave a fair reply the first time about the response to the Lords defeat being set out in the Autumn Statement, to carry on asking the same question just allowed the PM all his soundbites about recovery, unemployment, personal allowances, childcare etc etc.

Also some very kind words at the start from the PM about Michael Meacher.

• Options
    JackW said:

JEO said:

JackW said:

Tim_B said:

It really was that bad.

Candidates should be tested to within an inch of their political life. The more so as they are essentially interviewing to become one of the two viable options for the presidency and thus leader of the "western world" and the most powerful nation on earth.
    I suspect you will be sorely disappointed with the Democratic debates in that case. It's already stating to look like a coronation.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

JackW said:

JEO said:

JackW said:

Tim_B said:

It really was that bad.

I suspect you will be sorely disappointed with the Democratic debates in that case. It's already stating to look like a coronation.
    Likely so.

However the POTUS debates should be another matter,

• Options
    Jeb Bush doing a post-debate interview on CNN and still going after Rubio's Senate attendance record and saying he should resign.
  • Options
    Rubio's too short.
  • Options

Rubio's too short.

Teddy Roosevelt did OK. Truman did OK.
  • Options

Rubio's too short.

Size shouldn't matter as Mrs Innocent_Abroad has advised you many times .... :wink:

• Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    edited October 2015
    Tim_B said:

Rubio's too short.

Teddy Roosevelt did OK. Truman did OK.
    Rule doesn't apply to former Veeps seeking re-election in their own right. :)

• Options

Rubio's too short.

Clinton is only five foot seven.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    Re kids company.

If this had happened exclusively under Labour the Tories on here would be apoplectic, but of course because Dave was chucking money around like confetti its brushed under the carpet. It seems that Mrs Cameron may, possibly, have used pillow talk in influencing her husband.

The whole thing stinks, somebody wrote on here last night about losing an elderly relative in an overstretched hospital while Batman and Yentob are whispering in the ears of ministers against the instructions of civil servants.
  • Options
    Fascinating little pen pix
    I remind him that he recently said immigration was not an issue: that’s not how they see it in Rochdale. When I tell him the town is home to 1,000 asylum seekers – more than the whole of the South East – he doesn’t seem to believe me. ‘Really?’ he asks. I assure him it’s true. When I say that about one in four of my constituents has roots in Pakistan, Kashmir and Bangladesh, he says ‘great’ and his eyes light up.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3288055/Corbyn-night-President-XI-boring-SIMON-DANCZUK-got-hauled-leader-MoS-columns-result-best-one-yet.html#ixzz3pwDiFh5A
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    I agree Rubio looks good, certainly compared to the others.

He is young and articulate but has Washington experience and would almost certainly win Florida. That is key for a successful republican.

I think Clinton would find him difficult to debate.
  • Options
    Even liberal CNN leads at the top of the hour with "GOP 1: CNBC 0"

There seems to be a growing consensus that trust in the media as a whole was the loser last night.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    JackW said:

But it's not proper testing. They're not testing anything other than their ability to deliver a witty comeback. Gotcha politics is just pointless, and does nothing but turn governance into a reality show or social network meme. What you need is people like Andrew Neil that test candidates from right or left, and really drill into the answers and the meat of their policy ideas and governance records.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    DavidL said:

He is young and articulate but has Washington experience and would almost certainly win Florida. That is key for a successful republican.

I agree with all of that. Rubio, based on what we have seen so far, is the one best able to beat Hillary.

• Options
    Hillary Clinton has responded to the GOP debate by posting a video of her brushing something off her shoulder.

Unfortunately the clip is from the Benghazi hearings and the families of the victims are not happy, and saying so.
  • Options

Re kids company.

If this had happened exclusively under Labour the Tories on here would be apoplectic, but of course because Dave was chucking money around like confetti its brushed under the carpet. It seems that Mrs Cameron may, possibly, have used pillow talk in influencing her husband.

The whole thing stinks, somebody wrote on here last night about losing an elderly relative in an overstretched hospital while Batman and Yentob are whispering in the ears of ministers against the instructions of civil servants.

The reason I am apoplectic about Kids Company is that there have not yet been criminal charge of what is patently large scale fraud. The politicians, particularly Cameron, do not look very clever about this but their intentions were honest, unlike the management.

I think it is yet another body blow against the charity sector which has fallen further in public esteem in recent years than any other part of our public life. This is unfortunate but the stench of greed, self-serving and politicking has become overwhelming.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Florida is important but the GOP cannot rely on it alone in the swing states.

Demographically Virginia, Colorado and Nevada are trending to the Democrats in POTUS elections with New Mexico and Washington State almost certainly out of reach. Arizona is moving in the same direction.

Ohio is also very important and a swing state that Clinton is better placed than Obama was in 08 and 12.

• Options
    JEO said:

JackW said:

But it's not proper testing. They're not testing anything other than their ability to deliver a witty comeback. Gotcha politics is just pointless, and does nothing but turn governance into a reality show or social network meme. What you need is people like Andrew Neil that test candidates from right or left, and really drill into the answers and the meat of their policy ideas and governance records.
    The scale of the GOP debates mitigates against better scrutiny but that will change.

Neither is it either or in terms of type of debates and interviews. The more diverse the better the scrutiny, including gotcha. Rubio's best moment last night was said to be his reaction to the moderators. We may often learn as much if not more by these moments as some scripted soundbites.

• Options
    JackW said:

DavidL said:

Florida is important but the GOP cannot rely on it alone in the swing states.

Demographically Virginia, Colorado and Nevada are trending to the Democrats in POTUS elections with New Mexico and Washington State almost certainly out of reach. Arizona is moving in the same direction.

Ohio is also very important and a swing state that Clinton is better placed than Obama was in 08 and 12.

Oh I agree that the trend in recent elections has been against the republicans and it is getting harder and harder for them to win the electoral college but without Florida it is not hard, it is impossible. Florida has an extra couple of electoral college votes this time making it even more important.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

DavidL said:

I agree with all of that. Rubio, based on what we have seen so far, is the one best able to beat Hillary.

I think the process has confirmed that Jeb Bush is not Presidential material. I think Rubio will get the nomination in the end.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

Re kids company.

It does stink. The police / Fraud squad should certainly be involved.

The question has to be how far similar failures are present elsewhere in the 'charity' sector (and I put "charity" in single quotes as a body funded mainly by the state is not a charity in any meaningful sense).
  • Options

Rubio's too short.

Taller than Hillary though, so it doesn't matter. Were he debating Obama, it might be different.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Fascinating little pen pix

I remind him that he recently said immigration was not an issue: that’s not how they see it in Rochdale. When I tell him the town is home to 1,000 asylum seekers – more than the whole of the South East – he doesn’t seem to believe me. ‘Really?’ he asks. I assure him it’s true. When I say that about one in four of my constituents has roots in Pakistan, Kashmir and Bangladesh, he says ‘great’ and his eyes light up.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3288055/Corbyn-night-President-XI-boring-SIMON-DANCZUK-got-hauled-leader-MoS-columns-result-best-one-yet.html#ixzz3pwDiFh5A
    That is a very revealing picture of Corbyn as leader, some fascinating details. Corbyn does have a whiff of the "Holy Fool" about him, and a certain Quixiotic charm.
  • Options
    JackW said:

JEO said:

JackW said:

The scale of the GOP debates mitigates against better scrutiny but that will change.

Neither is it either or in terms of type of debates and interviews. The more diverse the better the scrutiny, including gotcha. Rubio's best moment last night was said to be his reaction to the moderators. We may often learn as much if not more by these moments as some scripted soundbites.

I suspect that Rubio had that one in his pocket, just in case.

Cruz probably had the outline ready too, except he didn't know the questions.

Christie's comment on fantasy football was off the cuff.
  • Options

Rubio's too short.

Taller than Hillary though, so it doesn't matter. Were he debating Obama, it might be different.
    Dunno how the rule applies with a female nominee - there's never been one :o

• Options
    edited October 2015
    DavidL said:

Re kids company.

The reason I am apoplectic about Kids Company is that there have not yet been criminal charge of what is patently large scale fraud. The politicians, particularly Cameron, do not look very clever about this but their intentions were honest, unlike the management.

I think it is yet another body blow against the charity sector which has fallen further in public esteem in recent years than any other part of our public life. This is unfortunate but the stench of greed, self-serving and politicking has become overwhelming.
    Well said. I won't be happy with this saga until Batmanwoman and Yentob are either bankrupted or imprisoned (preferably both), with the ministers and charities commissioners involved on both sides of the house over more than 10 years also held to account for their support of London's drug dealers.

There's clearly an optimum size for a charity. When they get too big the persuading of a few students to shake a tin on a "RAG trip" gives way to professional 'chuggers', TV advertising and executive salaries. Government should be supporting the small charities and come down like a ton of bricks on the practices of larger ones.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

I think the process has confirmed that Jeb Bush is not Presidential material. I think Rubio will get the nomination in the end.
    It's confirmed the debate format is not where he shines. He certainly has the experience as governor.

But I agree that right or wrong, the result is that he is probably done.
  • Options

Rubio's too short.

Geraldine Ferraro ran for veep
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited October 2015
    bb63 I think the PB Tories were apoplectic..this crap crosses the political boundaries..Yentob and Batwoman looked very shifty at the Select Committee hearing..too shifty
  • Options
    On topic, I agree with Mike that Bush's failures now look terminal. How does he turn it round? I don't really see a credible answer. Therefore, it still looks like Trump or Rubio unless either Carson can hold on - which on the evidence so far looks improbable - or someone else can break through.

Of the rest, Fiorina has already been tried and in any case, she has too many exploitable negatives re American jobs, and Cruz ticks too many boxes that are already filled by Trump or Rubio so it's difficult to see what he brings to the party while those two remain better placed. Bush is failing and the rest are nowhere.

One thought. If that analysis is right, I'd have thought it well into odds-on territory that Rubio ends up on the ticket.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035

Re kids company.

As I've said before, I was taken in by this. I liked the idea that someone was looking at the problems amongst our youth, seeming to get to the nub of the issues and explaining them clearly (as Batmanghelidjh did, at least in my eyes), and being proactive in finding solutions.

I'm still not sure she did not accurately determine the issues facing children (I'd have to go through interviews with her before this mess started); it's just that the 'solutions' appear to have been stupid, and the organisational skills of her and the crew around her were, at best, horrific. At worst they were criminally fraudulent.

I was obviously not looking too closely. Which is odd, as I tend to be rather cynical when it comes to many 'charities' ...

One thing that's annoying me is the BBC's attitude. Batmanghelidjh appeared on the BBC frequently, but they seem to be rather reticent in mentioning this. Are they going to admit they were taken in as well?
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Rubio's too short.

So did Palin.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    Post debate looks like Trump is still the favourite but Rubio is now clearly the moderate, establishment candidate and Cruz has put in a bid to be the candidate of ultra conservatives
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Tim_B said:

Rubio's too short.

So did Palin.
    But Ferraro couldn't see Russia from her bedroom :)

I'd forgotten about Palin......
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035

bb63 I think the PB Tories were apoplectic..this crap crosses the political boundaries..Yentbob and Batwoman looked very shifty at the Select Committee hearing..too shifty

I fear Yentob was a bit like Ant and Dec (with their 'assistant director' role at the time of the phone-in scandal): he'd accepted a position for the glamour (and perhaps money) of being associated with a charity that was well-known and acknowledged amongst his luncheon crowd.

I'm not sure he fulfilled the actual role; he appeared fairly clueless at the select committee. Perhaps he treated it more like a sinecure.

*If* that is right, he's going to get all he deserves.
  • Options

Re kids company.

As I've said before, I was taken in by this. I liked the idea that someone was looking at the problems amongst our youth, seeming to get to the nub of the issues and explaining them clearly (as Batmanghelidjh did, at least in my eyes), and being proactive in finding solutions.

I'm still not sure she did not accurately determine the issues facing children (I'd have to go through interviews with her before this mess started); it's just that the 'solutions' appear to have been stupid, and the organisational skills of her and the crew around her were, at best, horrific. At worst they were criminally fraudulent.

I was obviously not looking too closely. Which is odd, as I tend to be rather cynical when it comes to many 'charities' ...

One thing that's annoying me is the BBC's attitude. Batmanghelidjh appeared on the BBC frequently, but they seem to be rather reticent in mentioning this. Are they going to admit they were taken in as well?
    AndyJS linked to this piece by my misanthopic colleague Dalrymple last night:

http://takimag.com/article/something_is_rotten_theodore_dalrymple/print#axzz3paxk5pOV

But read down to the bottom bit on Save the Children. Something indeed is rotten in the state of Denmark.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Rubio's too short.

So did Palin.

I wouldn't admit that on here if I were you :)

• Options

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Rubio's too short.

So did Palin.

I wouldn't admit that on here if I were you :)

I remember Michael :)
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Good morning from a rain swept TelAviv. Hope all you guys are behaving yourselves.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Re kids company.

What I can't help noticing is that the same people who don't think we should get angry about this and don't want to talk about it tend to be the same people who do get worked up about a white van man dodging a few pounds here and there on his tax bill.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Jessop, I'll believe that (on Yentob) when I see it.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited October 2015

Re kids company.

The BBC ? Hold that thought..

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/children_in_need_grants_made_to
  • Options
    Mr. K, it's raining in Yorkshire, too.

Pissed it down almost all of yesterday. Probably have some flooding soon.
  • Options
    Given the wailing by KC fans and Batman/Yentob threatening the end of days - I'm just relieved the HMG finally stood up to them. Overdue, but its finally over.
    AndyJS said:

Re kids company.

What I can't help noticing is that the same people who don't think we should get angry about this and don't want to talk about it tend to be the same people who do get worked up about a white van man dodging a few pounds here and there on his tax bill.
  • Options

bb63 I think the PB Tories were apoplectic..this crap crosses the political boundaries..Yentbob and Batwoman looked very shifty at the Select Committee hearing..too shifty

I fear Yentob was a bit like Ant and Dec (with their 'assistant director' role at the time of the phone-in scandal): he'd accepted a position for the glamour (and perhaps money) of being associated with a charity that was well-known and acknowledged amongst his luncheon crowd.

I'm not sure he fulfilled the actual role; he appeared fairly clueless at the select committee. Perhaps he treated it more like a sinecure.

*If* that is right, he's going to get all he deserves.
    Unlike a TV programme, the responsibilities of a charity's Trustees are clearly set out in law. Yentob is the person legally responsible for the oversight of the charity's activities in much the same way that a company Director might be, even if they are non-executive and only attend a few meetings a year.
  • Options

Mr. K, it's raining in Yorkshire, too.

Pissed it down almost all of yesterday. Probably have some flooding soon.

It's bright and sunny in Dubai, although a bit cold at 32 degrees. :wink:
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    TGOHF said:

Re kids company.

The BBC ? Hold that thought..

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/children_in_need_grants_made_to
    She’s very telegenic though!
  • Options
    MD...just to keep everybody happy...it is lashing it down here too..
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    DavidL said:

Re kids company.

I stopped giving to charity years ago, simply because I lost trust in the people that ran them and the extraordinary salaries they were paying themselves. I just give to individuals now and cut out the middle man.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, far too hot.

Being a Dubai weather forecaster must be like being the weathergirl on The Fast Show.

Mr. Dodd, where art thou?
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Yesterday David Cameron stated that "Norway pays as much per head to the EU as we do".

Norway's net payment, per annum, is £68 per head.

The UK's net payment, per annum, is £153 per head.

So much for having an honest debate.
  • Options
    Special report from Newsnight:

"How Kids Company 'bullied' ministers into funding them"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34662014
  • Options
    MD Northern Italy..nr Venice
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Mr. SE, we'll see if that's pointed out.

I also wonder how much South Korea and other countries which have EU trade agreements pay.

Edited extra bit: Mr. Dodd, sounds a nice part of the world. How is the campaign for Venetian independence going?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,210
    JEO said:

AndyJS said:

Not just Cameron. Labour handed over money too. It's an example of a total waste of public money when politicians' eyes are dazzled by fantasists. It also makes me wonder how many other examples there are of money being paid over to less high profile organisations with equal lack of scrutiny. It's our money after all.
  • Options

Re kids company.

http://takimag.com/article/something_is_rotten_theodore_dalrymple/print#axzz3paxk5pOV

But read down to the bottom bit on Save the Children. Something indeed is rotten in the state of Denmark.
    Good article! Probably not my favourite performance of Hamlet from what Dalrymple writes! But the departure of much of the mainstream charity world from the privately funded voluntary sector to the politicised Establishment is a huge step over the last 15 years or so. Kid's Company may have been a spectacular disaster, but there have been so many issues with major charities over the last few years that it is in danger of tarnishing the whole sector.

Hope to see many of you this evening!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287

Being a Dubai weather forecaster must be like being the weathergirl on The Fast Show.

Mr Dancer, I thought there were laws against fast girls in Dubai, weather or not their job was difficult.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

Yesterday David Cameron stated that "Norway pays as much per head to the EU as we do".

Do you have a link?
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351

I gave a standing order to Save The Children for thirty years and then discovered the obscene salaries they were paying their bosses. I received phone calls from them afterwards and to get rid of them, I just asked "What is the salary of your CE?" The second question was "Can I have my thirty years of contributions back to give to a real charity?"

I usually give to Cafod, but the Salvation Army are ones I would support. They go out and do the dirty jobs instead of spouting off like Polly or Owen Jones. When did they last work in a soup kitchen?

Many of the big Charities have turned into a sinecure for failed politicians and posh virtue-signallers.
  • Options
    MD..Not been paying much attention.lately the house is shrouded in scaffolding.. had the plumbers in to winterise the CH system . and workmen are crawling all over the place... so a slight distraction...and I am prepping for a two hour drama shoot for the BBC which starts next Thursday....Italian Politics are a nightmare.. every Italian is a one man Political Party
  • Options

Re kids company.

Good article! Probably not my favourite performance of Hamlet from what Dalrymple writes! But the departure of much of the mainstream charity world from the privately funded voluntary sector to the politicised Establishment is a huge step over the last 15 years or so. Kid's Company may have been a spectacular disaster, but there have been so many issues with major charities over the last few years that it is in danger of tarnishing the whole sector.

Hope to see many of you this evening!
    Bit tricky for me this one. Meeting with commissioners this PM until 1700. Have fun!
  • Options
    currystar said:

DavidL said:

Re kids company.

I stopped giving to charity years ago, simply because I lost trust in the people that ran them and the extraordinary salaries they were paying themselves. I just give to individuals now and cut out the middle man.
    What do you mean? You encourage beggars?

• Options
    Mr. Dodd, important to get the plumbing in order to avoid burst pipes.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

JEO said:

AndyJS said:

Not just Cameron. Labour handed over money too. It's an example of a total waste of public money when politicians' eyes are dazzled by fantasists. It also makes me wonder how many other examples there are of money being paid over to less high profile organisations with equal lack of scrutiny. It's our money after all.
    But once you get into a situation that it is down to Ministers to pull the plug, party politics get in the way. Hence the reluctance of Labour and Conservative and Coalition Ministers to do so. Eventually someone had to bite the bullet..

Yentob and Batmanghellgdh need to account for their actions and there should be pressure for them to do so.
  • Options
    Golly from the Dalrymple piece
    Without government funding, Save the Children would have had just £17 million over and above its wage and fund-raising costs. Its brochure says that it raised a record £370 million last year, without mentioning that £228 million came from government sources of various kinds. I think the above figures make clear that employees of the charity are essentially publicly funded bureaucrats.

Please share this article by using the link below. When you cut and paste an article, Taki's Magazine misses out on traffic, and our writers don't get paid for their work. Email editors@takimag.com to buy additional rights. http://takimag.com/article/something_is_rotten_theodore_dalrymple/print#ixzz3pwZZxsnf
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Cyclefree said:

JEO said:

AndyJS said:

But once you get into a situation that it is down to Ministers to pull the plug, party politics get in the way. Hence the reluctance of Labour and Conservative and Coalition Ministers to do so. Eventually someone had to bite the bullet..

Yentob and Batmanghellgdh need to account for their actions and there should be pressure for them to do so.
    Didn't happen until the coalition was over. Blame Clegg.
  • Options
    MD .Exactly..plus we had new gutters and down pipes put in..some silicon injections into the outside steps..and a massive hedgerow trimmed..today my logs arrive and the gas bombola will be recharged...that should do the trick...now where is my WFA... ...
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    JEO said:

MP_SE said:

Do you have a link?
    Fourth paragraph down for the calculations:

http://eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=85795
  • Options
    CD13 said:

I gave a standing order to Save The Children for thirty years and then discovered the obscene salaries they were paying their bosses. I received phone calls from them afterwards and to get rid of them, I just asked "What is the salary of your CE?" The second question was "Can I have my thirty years of contributions back to give to a real charity?"

I usually give to Cafod, but the Salvation Army are ones I would support. They go out and do the dirty jobs instead of spouting off like Polly or Owen Jones. When did they last work in a soup kitchen?

Many of the big Charities have turned into a sinecure for failed politicians and posh virtue-signallers.

I give regularly to ACET. They spend virtually nothing on salaries and admin. A model of how a small development charity can work (and Leicester based!)

http://www.a-cet.org.uk/

I have also given well into four figures to Barnabasfund for their work with Syrian refugees:

https://barnabasfund.org/projects/category

Not every ones cup of tea perhaps, but you can be sure that the money does not go to jihadis.
  • Options
    I wonder if the Out campaign should use the £153 or so figure, and ask it as an individual question:

Do you want to keep paying £153 a year to be in the EU?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

I enjoyed your piece on the Macedonian She Wolves.

If you haven't read it, I'd recommend Funeral Games, by Mary Renault, which covers this period. It's extremely gripping, but so dark I can only bring myself to read it about once a decade.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    He's not really a misanthrope. People who meet him always come away with the opposite impression, apparently.

Dalrymple can't hate people that much if he chose to work in a prison hospital in Birmingham for 15 years when he could have chosen to work as a doctor pretty much anywhere. (In fact he did work as a doctor in the Pacific Islands in 1982-3, something he recounts in his book Fool or Physician).

Re kids company.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    MikeK said:

Good morning from a rain swept TelAviv. Hope all you guys are behaving yourselves.

Just back from a week in Brittany/Normandy, where the weather was most polite, raining only overnight or whilst we were in restaurants.

The weather back in Blighty seems to have no such good manners....
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

JEO said:

MP_SE said:

Do you have a link?
    Fourth paragraph down for the calculations:

http://eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=85795
    That is deeply concerning. I hope David Cameron comes out with a correction. We can all make mistakes once. I will judge him more harshly if he repeats the line.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,210

Cyclefree said:

JEO said:

AndyJS said:

Well, there is a police inquiry into allegations of child abuse. And the Charity Commission and those who are winding up the charity should also be taking action.

I'm a bit surprised anyone took this woman seriously. She had no therapeutic or professional training at all. Why would anyone put children, damaged or difficult children, with someone like that? It's the obvious first question to ask a charity headed by someone like that. Anyone who has or has dealt with a child with emotional or mental problems knows that good intentions are not enough: skilled experienced therapy and care is needed. Was there ever any evidence that Camilla or her acolytes had any of that?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003

CD13 said:

I give regularly to ACET. They spend virtually nothing on salaries and admin. A model of how a small development charity can work (and Leicester based!)

http://www.a-cet.org.uk/

I have also given well into four figures to Barnabasfund for their work with Syrian refugees:

https://barnabasfund.org/projects/category

Not every ones cup of tea perhaps, but you can be sure that the money does not go to jihadis.
    Medecins sans Frontiers?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,003
    Cyclefree said:

JEO said:

AndyJS said:

I'm not sure the government should give money to charities, full stop. The whole point of charities is that they enable people to do something good - in a tax efficient manner - that is not being provided by the government. If people aren't willing to give money, either it should be the government's responsibility to do it directly, or it shouldn't be done. There should be no "half way house" where the government gives the money, but someone else spends it.

I think the Kids Company exposed another issue. Certain people take on "charity boards" like baubles. Being associated with a high profile charity is seen as a good way of boosting one's career, prestige, etc.

But I think in many cases there is minimal genuine oversight of the activities of charities. There needs to be a change in both law and perception: being on the board of a charity is about proper supervision to make sure that things are done in the correct way. This will make being a board member much harder and less attractive. But it should mean that charities are much better regulated.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    edited October 2015
    Main story in the telegraph... Remember when Farage spoke of a fifth column

'Andrew Parker says current level of threat from homegrown jihadis the highest he has seen in a career spanning 32-years

He also publicly admitted for the first time that MI5 had to carry out computer hacking attacks against terror networks to crack their communications.

Delivering the Lord Mayor of London’s annual defence and security lecture, he said the current level of threat was the highest he had seen in a career spanning 32-years. In the past 12 months his agency has thwarted six terror plots in the UK and another seven abroad.'

http://goo.gl/VijDTT
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

I wonder if the Out campaign should use the £153 or so figure, and ask it as an individual question:

Do you want to keep paying £153 a year to be in the EU?

Do you want to keep paying £153 a year to fund the BBC. Most will say no..but we still do...
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I enjoyed your piece on the Macedonian She Wolves.

If you haven't read it, I'd recommend Funeral Games, by Mary Renault, which covers this period. It's extremely gripping, but so dark I can only bring myself to read it about once a decade.
    I second that. Her books were an essential element on one holiday on a greek island.