Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Jeb Bush’s bid for the GOP nomination looks even more in do

Comments

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    I already said this, in fewer words.

Re the Fantasy Sports stuff.

The reason it is legal, despite is being no different really to poker in terms of having elements of chance and skill game to game / hand to hand, but the pros win out in the end, is due to a specific carve out in the UIEGA.

The major sports lobbied hard to get an exception for fantasy sports, as the current format of fantasy sports game at that time was very much along the lines of pay your $10 and play for the season. Sold to the law makers as a long way from gambling, but also helps interest in the sports.

However, various companies have seen this loophole and created the daily fantasy sports products. These are much closer to traditional sports betting, albeit still different. You are effectively betting that you can pick a better team of players than your opponents, rather than betting on one particular real life team.

In the past year, big companies have pumped $100's million into two companies DraftKings and FanDuel, hence the constant adverts on US tv. However, there has been a reports of basically insider trader scandals i.e. employees from one site have been winning big on the other site and suspicion they have been using insider data in order to know how best to play the games.

This is shone a big spot light on what really is daily fantasy sports, basically gambling with a skill edge, and a long long way from the traditional play your few bucks to enter a fantasy league for the season.

There is one massive problem with it at the moment, it is the pros enter 1000's of teams at all different buy-in levels every day. It is akin to sitting down at any poker table at any buy-in and having to play against a load of the best pros every time.

• Options
    It's shot locally, and I am still determined to get a part as an extra.

I don't get Walking Dead at all, and nothing about it appeals to me after watching the start of S1. Cliches, ham acting, plot holes a JCB could hide in...

Tim_B said:

No one exciting - my husband at the time! It was such a bizarre thing to have no memory of the plot or what the movie was even called and we'd only left the cinema 10 mins before!

Tim_B said:

That reminds me of 51st State - a terrible film that I think starred Bruce Willis. We were stopped at a routine police checkpoint on the way back from the film, and I couldn't tell the officer what the movie was about, but that it was dire.

Scott_P said:

@thomasknox: Spectre is worst Bond EVER. No plot. No sex. No jokes. 150 minutes. The exciting gizmo was an "exploding watch" https://t.co/Tg6eExX9CS

I know they had real problems with the script of SPECTRE. Part way through filming they were reportedly begging previous writers to come on board...which is never a good sign. That said, surely it can't be as bad as Quantum of Solace - which made no sense AT ALL. What was with the exploding fireball of a hotel? Tha they get blown out of through a wall. And Bond crashing a plane into a sink hole in the desert, which he and the love-interest climb out of and are magically back in civilization in moments - despite the main baddy later being left in a said desert to walk to his dehydrating fate.

The only reason I know this is that I watched it again recently. Despite seeing it in the cinema, it had left no memories with me whatsover.
    OK, spill the beans - who is 'we'? ;)
    I find this with the Walking Dead. By the time the next episode comes on I've completely forgotten what happened last week. Watching Talking Dead, immediately after the episode, they talk about scenes I don't remember. It's a dirge of a series, and glacially slow plot wise.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,028
    Mr. B, I rather like The Walking Dead, not least because just about every character I disliked has now been killed :)

Mr. F, hmm. I may peruse the reviews rather than just pre-ordering after Christmas, as usual.

Mr. Eagles, yes and no. Some may be tempted to tell the US to sod off and vote Out for that, others (on the left, mostly) worried about TTIP might think that's an advantage for Out.
  • Options
    @michaelsavage: As we're doing this, the #Chilcot report will be almost twice the length of all the Harry Potter books combined. Lengthy bedtime reading.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    I've a few internet acquaintances on other boards who live in Vancouver, the place is crawling with film crews pretending to be somewhere else. What's Atlanta offering to get so much trade here?
    Tim_B said:

I don't get Walking Dead at all, and nothing about it appeals to me after watching the start of S1. Cliches, ham acting, plot holes a JCB could hide in...

Tim_B said:

No one exciting - my husband at the time! It was such a bizarre thing to have no memory of the plot or what the movie was even called and we'd only left the cinema 10 mins before!

Tim_B said:

That reminds me of 51st State - a terrible film that I think starred Bruce Willis. We were stopped at a routine police checkpoint on the way back from the film, and I couldn't tell the officer what the movie was about, but that it was dire.

Scott_P said:

@thomasknox: Spectre is worst Bond EVER. No plot. No sex. No jokes. 150 minutes. The exciting gizmo was an "exploding watch" https://t.co/Tg6eExX9CS

I know they had real problems with the script of SPECTRE. Part way through filming they were reportedly begging previous writers to come on board...which is never a good sign. That said, surely it can't be as bad as Quantum of Solace - which made no sense AT ALL. What was with the exploding fireball of a hotel? Tha they get blown out of through a wall. And Bond crashing a plane into a sink hole in the desert, which he and the love-interest climb out of and are magically back in civilization in moments - despite the main baddy later being left in a said desert to walk to his dehydrating fate.

The only reason I know this is that I watched it again recently. Despite seeing it in the cinema, it had left no memories with me whatsover.
    I find this with the Walking Dead. By the time the next episode comes on I've completely forgotten what happened last week. Watching Talking Dead, immediately after the episode, they talk about scenes I don't remember. It's a dirge of a series, and glacially slow plot wise.
  • Options

@michaelsavage: As we're doing this, the #Chilcot report will be almost twice the length of all the Harry Potter books combined. Lengthy bedtime reading.

Can't wait.....

Some poor sods are going to be employed to speed read the thing on day of release to pick out the killer parts. Hope they get paid well for what will be an utterly boring task.
  • Options

Mr. B, I rather like The Walking Dead, not least because just about every character I disliked has now been killed :)

Mr. F, hmm. I may peruse the reviews rather than just pre-ordering after Christmas, as usual.

Mr. Eagles, yes and no. Some may be tempted to tell the US to sod off and vote Out for that, others (on the left, mostly) worried about TTIP might think that's an advantage for Out.

People won't vote to be economically worse off, rightly or wrongly with that intervention people will conclude that Brexit is a direct route to the poor house.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771

This is the sort of thing that will damage Leave.

Major blow for Brexit campaign as US rules out UK-only trade deal

http://bit.ly/1RCNlfe

Will there be anything left to trade bar London property ?

If October is indicative of what's ahead our useless chancellor can expect crap growth this quarter as manufacturing and construction limp along.

Talking to the local Brumnie metal wallopers October has been a tough month for engineering, with new order in take almost coming to a stop. For the first time in ages I'm now getting round to letting people go in the next fortnight.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,028

People won't vote to be economically worse off, rightly or wrongly with that intervention people will conclude that Brexit is a direct route to the poor house.
    The average voter will know nothing about this US intervention, and care less.
  • Options
    Just a note on Chilcot, its uses the words should and could...When Bob the Builder turns up to do some work and says should / could, normally means twice the price and take twice as long.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@Antifrank Leaving aside the legal rulings....

There is:

Games of skill:
    Go; Chess - Where perfect play will win you every game, every time.

Games of 'luck'
    Backgammon; Poker - where perfect play will win over time, but not every time.

Is bridge the first or second category ? Does perfect play win every time in bridge :) ?

Rubber bridge, no. You are playing the percentages just like poker, albeit that you can help yourself.

Duplicate bridge maybe? I mean there is a "right way" to bid/play any given hand, and you are striving for it. Albeit that a player who plays badly can "win".
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    Mr1983,

" Cancer has spiralled out of all control in recent years. This is due to lifestyle and environmental factors."

You are incorrect. Cancer is a product of cell replication - the older the demographic, the higher the incidence of cancer. We will never defeat cancer, we will reduce it but if we survive long enough, it will kill us all.

Lifestyle factors can bring it on earlier but we had plenty of them and environmental factors years ago. But cell division is the killer. Cell senescence isn't that great either.
  • Options

Nah GO is a direct route to the poorhouse.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,010

I'm very opposed to TTIP on many grounds. This US intervention would encourage me to join the LEAVE camp.

Incidentally, there are different ways of calculating net contributions to the EU by country.
    The EU's own budget tables (google it) for 2014 show the UK's gross national contribution at 11.3b Euro i.e. £128 per head and, after EU expenditure on the UK of 7.0b Euro, leaves a net contribution of 4.3b Euro, i.e about £50 /head.
  • Options
    Tax breaks. Pinewood is building a studio here. For the past 2 weeks Clint Eastwood and Tom Hanks have been shooting 'Sully' at my wife's college workplace.

I've a few internet acquaintances on other boards who live in Vancouver, the place is crawling with film crews pretending to be somewhere else. What's Atlanta offering to get so much trade here?

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Scott_P said:

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,211
    Pulpstar said:

Offtopic speaking of fantasy sports I've gone for the following Jumps stable this NH season !

Don Cossack; Vautour; Un De Sceuax
    Faugheen; Douvan; Annie Power
    Vibrato Valtat; Ma Filleule; Tea for Two
    Many Clouds; Rocky Creek; Unioniste
    Admiral Bob; Solway Bay; Nebula Storm.

where do you get it pulpstar
  • Options

Will there be anything left to trade bar London property ?

If October is indicative of what's ahead our useless chancellor can expect crap growth this quarter as manufacturing and construction limp along.

Talking to the local Brumnie metal wallopers October has been a tough month for engineering, with new order in take almost coming to a stop. For the first time in ages I'm now getting round to letting people go in the next fortnight.
    Sorry to hear that
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,211

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Scott_P said:

Walking dead is great , it is a hoot
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Yeah - the US will take a huff and damage their export markets - I take that with pinch of salt SE..

http://www.export.gov/unitedkingdom/doingbusinessintheuk/eg_gb_026650.asp

Highly developed, sophisticated, and diversified, the UK market is the largest in Europe and the fifth largest in the world for U.S. goods exports. The United Kingdom is the second largest market in the world for U.S. service exports.

U.S. exports to the UK of goods and services combined were estimated to be worth about $110 billion in 2014.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The average voter will know nothing about this US intervention, and care less.
    The yanks will have to rely on the French to provide political cover and a few tanks for their next ill considered invasion........ oh wait...
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

The economic impact of Leave or Remain would be marginal, either way.
  • Options
    WRT good TV series, I've just bought a box set of The Sopranos. I watched it when it came out, and I'd forgotten just how good it is.
  • Options
    By the time the Chilcot Report comes out, the younger Jezbollah will believe that Blair was a Tory PM so Cameron will get any political flak.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I suspect this referendum will come down to perceptions and not facts.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

The Guardian helpfully pointed out cars to the US would get hit by a 2.5% tariff.

I can't honestly thiink that the people buying Land Rovers or Bentleys would notice that much especially if unlike some other car manufacturers their engines actually meet their performance criteria.
  • Options
    I remember reading a lovely way to show the nonsense of should/could compared to would.

Imagine saying Could You Marry Me? :wink:

Just a note on Chilcot, its uses the words should and could...When Bob the Builder turns up to do some work and says should / could, normally means twice the price and take twice as long.

• Options

Sean_F said:

I suspect this referendum will come down to perceptions and not facts.
    Most likely. In a detailed piece in the Economist recently, they had the economic impact ranging from a boost of 1% to a fall of 2% in GDP.
  • Options
    I think both sides would like a trade deal

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/exporting-to-the-usa/exporting-to-the-usa

"In 2012, UK trade in goods and services to the US was £135 billion, up 3.6% from the year before. Around 17% of all British exports went to the US in 2012. The US and the UK are each other’s largest foreign investors. This investment supports approximately one million jobs in each country. "
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/energy-bills/11962015/British-Gas-customers-data-breach.html
    Thousands of British Gas customers have had their personal data posted online. The firm has contacted 2,200 of its customers to warn them that their email addresses and account passwords were posted online.

[But]

The firm, which has 14.7 million customer accounts, says it does not believe it has been the victim of hacking. It says the affected accounts have been disabled following the incident but customers' logins may have been used to view their private data.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited October 2015

AndyJS said:

Re kids company.

If this had happened exclusively under Labour the Tories on here would be apoplectic, but of course because Dave was chucking money around like confetti its brushed under the carpet. It seems that Mrs Cameron may, possibly, have used pillow talk in influencing her husband.

The whole thing stinks, somebody wrote on here last night about losing an elderly relative in an overstretched hospital while Batman and Yentob are whispering in the ears of ministers against the instructions of civil servants.

What I can't help noticing is that the same people who don't think we should get angry about this and don't want to talk about it tend to be the same people who do get worked up about a white van man dodging a few pounds here and there on his tax bill.
    Which people? You can get as angry as you like. I merely questioned where it was leading: what is the betting angle?

Kids Company is a Rorschach test scandal. Different people take it to show David Cameron shouldn't be allowed out on his own, or that the BBC should be closed down. Charities should be small with no overheads, or large with extensive financial controls and professional management. Charities should have large reserves or minimal ones. And so on.

Anyone who doesn't get at least slightly angry about what has happened with Kids Company has got something wrong with them IMO. And what do you mean "which people"? Do you want to have a scientific study conducted to establish that there are large numbers of people in the country annoyed at what has happened with KC?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,698
    edited October 2015
    Sean_F said:

WRT good TV series, I've just bought a box set of The Sopranos. I watched it when it came out, and I'd forgotten just how good it is.

The Sopranos is TV at its finest.

I recently watched the entirety of Breaking Bad in a fortnight.

What a show
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Sean_F said:

The Sopranos is TV at is finest.

What a show
    just starting season 4 and it gets better as it develops.

also liked Justified
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,190

Either that - or Corbyn's anti-Americanism will cause him to recommend his troops vote for Brexit...
  • Options
    From BBC website -

"Estonia and Finland's leaders say David Cameron has so far failed to provide concrete proposals. But Mr Cameron, who is in Iceland for a meeting of northern European leaders, said discussions were "going well".

I'm sure Cameron has a whole raft of proposals and that he's hammering away for the UK., and that those two leaders are mistaken.

Forgive my cynicism, but having been duped in 1975, I'm far more cautious now.
  • Options
    For anyone with Amazon Prime - they've got Mr Robot - chilly and creepy with Christian Slater being his usual self. Very good TV. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4158110/?ref_=nv_sr_1
  • Options

Sean_F said:

What a show
    just starting season 4 and it gets better as it develops.

also liked Justified
    I binged on Justified earlier on this year.

I want to be Raylan Givens
  • Options

Sean_F said:

What a show
    Breaking Bad is great. "Anyone would think you'd never seen a severed human head on top of a tortoise before."

I'm picking up things that I didn't pick up the first time with the Sopranos. Notably, Tony is almost as gifted a psychologist as Melfi, and able to put his sessions with her to good use in running his criminal empire.
  • Options

For anyone with Amazon Prime - they've got Mr Robot - chilly and creepy with Christian Slater being his usual self. Very good TV. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4158110/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Mr Robot gets a thumbs up from me.
  • Options
    Mr. Brooke, sorry to hear that.

I still haven't got around to buying the other DVDs (I have about half the box sets) of House, but I really rather enjoyed watching it, until halfway through it buggered off to pay TV.
  • Options
    If anyone liked Scandal - Shonda has another series out using ensemble cast/rapid fire dialogue/incredible plot/black female lead with white bloke - How To Get Away With Murder. S1 on Netflix.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

I was signed up to that without realising, along with a few million other people.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

I'm very opposed to TTIP on many grounds. This US intervention would encourage me to join the LEAVE camp.

Incidentally, there are different ways of calculating net contributions to the EU by country.
    The EU's own budget tables (google it) for 2014 show the UK's gross national contribution at 11.3b Euro i.e. £128 per head and, after EU expenditure on the UK of 7.0b Euro, leaves a net contribution of 4.3b Euro, i.e about £50 /head.
    A rather partial reading as it covers only the direct contribution to the central EU budget under a specific form of transfer. It ignores the other direct payments made to the EU in the form of customs duties and agricultural levies.

If you want the real gross and net costs then the Treasury report on EU finances has all the information.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/388882/EU_finances_2014_final.pdf

On that basis our 2014 gross contributions were £19.2 billion and our net contributions £9.8 billion - more than twice the figures you are quoting.
  • Options
    I chose Prime as I get a lot of deliveries, what I totally forgot about was paying for Spotify Premium at £10 a MONTH!

I must cancel that.
    AndyJS said:

I was signed up to that without realising, along with a few million other people.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

From BBC website -

"Estonia and Finland's leaders say David Cameron has so far failed to provide concrete proposals. But Mr Cameron, who is in Iceland for a meeting of northern European leaders, said discussions were "going well".

I'm sure Cameron has a whole raft of proposals and that he's hammering away for the UK., and that those two leaders are mistaken.

Forgive my cynicism, but having been duped in 1975, I'm far more cautious now.

You think Estonia are key players ? :D
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

What a show
    Breaking Bad is great. "Anyone would think you'd never seen a severed human head on top of a tortoise before."

I'm picking up things that I didn't pick up the first time with the Sopranos. Notably, Tony is almost as gifted a psychologist as Melfi, and able to put his sessions with her to good use in running his criminal empire.
    I had planned to watch Breaking Bad over the course of a couple of months, got addicted to it.

Need to watch Better Call Saul now.

For me the Melfi/Tony scenes were the highlight of the show.

[SPOILER ALERT}

Was gutted that their relationship ended the way it did.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,533

Sean_F said:

What a show
    The West Wing is surely due for a re-watch.

My list (as you didn't ask):

1. The Wire
    2. West Wing
    3. The Sopranos
    4. Breaking Bad
    5. Southland
    6. The Good Wife
    7. The Killing
    8. Nashville
    9. Homeland
    10. 24
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    edited October 2015

So the UK could still join in an EU-US-UK trade deal for the North Atlantic, or sign up to NAFTA?

I also think "not particularly in the market" for something and "ruling out" are miles apart as statements.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

Offtopic speaking of fantasy sports I've gone for the following Jumps stable this NH season !

Don Cossack; Vautour; Un De Sceuax
    Faugheen; Douvan; Annie Power
    Vibrato Valtat; Ma Filleule; Tea for Two
    Many Clouds; Rocky Creek; Unioniste
    Admiral Bob; Solway Bay; Nebula Storm.

where do you get it pulpstar
    http://tinyurl.com/SuperStable

Free entry for me, but you can pay a fiver for the chance at some ticketed goodies.
  • Options
    William_HWilliam_H Posts: 346
    https://ustr.gov/trade-agreements/free-trade-agreements

"The United States has free trade agreements in force with 20 countries. These are:

Australia
    Bahrain
    Canada
    Chile
    Colombia
    Costa Rica
    Dominican Republic
    El Salvador
    Guatemala
    Honduras
    Israel
    Jordan
    Korea
    Mexico
    Morocco
    Nicaragua
    Oman
    Panama
    Peru
    Singapore"
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

What a show

1. The Wire
    2. West Wing
    3. The Sopranos
    4. Breaking Bad
    5. Southland
    6. The Good Wife
    7. The Killing
    8. Nashville
    9. Homeland
    10. 24
    1) Twin Peaks
    2) Star Treks (as a combined effort)
    3) The West Wing
    4) Breaking Bad
    5) The Sopranos
    6) Band of Brothers
    7) Spartacus
    8) House
    9) Battlestar Galactica (remake)
    10) The Big Bang Theory

I'm sure there are other shows I've missed off
  • Options
    My 2p added

I liked Sons of Anarchy, Narcos, Bosch, Justified, Elementary and Chuck for stupid comedy.
    TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

What a show

1. The Wire - I gave in and have to try again
    2. West Wing - getting dated but still love it
    3. The Sopranos - meh after halfway through
    4. Breaking Bad - better the second time
    5. Southland - didn't like that at all
    6. The Good Wife - love it, still keeping it fresh
    7. The Killing - great and gritty
    8. Nashville - not seen it
    9. Homeland - I miss Brodie
    10. 24 - hilariously unbelieveable
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

blockquote>

I had planned to watch Breaking Bad over the course of a couple of months, got addicted to it.

Need to watch Better Call Saul now.

For me the Melfi/Tony scenes were the highlight of the show.

[SPOILER ALERT}

Was gutted that their relationship ended the way it did.
    Yes, and no. It was good for Melfi that it ended as it did. Ultimately, her choice was to become Tony's mistress and partner in crime (and you can see she was strongly tempted by this at various points) or else to do the ethical thing.

Tony is an evil man with a lot of good and sympathetic qualities. That's what both attracts and repels Melfi.
  • Options
    Mr Flashman,

"You think Estonia are key players ?"

No. But what are the proposals that Dave is pushing? Sorry, if I've missed them.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,214
    AndyJS said:

It happened to me a couple of months ago: I'm pretty sure I didn't select Prime when making an order, but apparently I'm now paying for it. I'm not sure how that happened - I'd assumed I'd stupidly clicked the wrong button.

Which reminds me, I need to cancel it ...
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, that's because there's an almost comically large button to get it when you order, most of the time at least [just ordered something and didn't see it] and a smaller text without altered background colour to go without.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    The Walking Dead..maybe its something about the title..just signifies rubbish to me..a real click on ..click off show..
  • Options
    I find zombies very hard to take seriously. Especially zombies who jump out of genre/canon at convenient deus ex machina points.

I do like iZombie though, it's funny and mixes story arc with daft pathology procedural - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3501584/?ref_=nv_sr_2

The Walking Dead..maybe its something about the title..just signifies rubbish to me..a real click on ..click off show..

• Options

Mr. Jessop, that's because there's an almost comically large button to get it when you order, most of the time at least [just ordered something and didn't see it] and a smaller text without altered background colour to go without.

Yes, but I thought I was being careful in *not* selecting it. Obviously I did.

Sadly, I've got a filter on my email so everything from Amazon goes into a folder that I rarely look in, so I didn't see the notification emails.

Probably my own silly fault.
  • Options
    I've had Prime for my previous two deliveries from Amazon. Cancelled both within the 1 month trial period. From the looks of things I could trial it a third time !
  • Options

If anyone liked Scandal - Shonda has another series out using ensemble cast/rapid fire dialogue/incredible plot/black female lead with white bloke - How To Get Away With Murder. S1 on Netflix.

That got stupid real fast for me. Plus they bottled the obvious she did it plot & went totally implausible - wonder if it was getting a 2nd season that triggered that.

Blindspot looks interesting out of the new stuff, but i am getting backlogged on so much stuff ATM.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,810
    JEO said:

So the UK could still join in an EU-US-UK trade deal for the North Atlantic, or sign up to NAFTA?

I also think "not particularly in the market" for something and "ruling out" are miles apart as statements.
    It's scare tactics. The Obama Administration do not want the UK to leave the EU because our presence within it pulls the whole organisation closer to US interests.

There is no question there's actually be a deal if we left given the U.S. is our most important ally and trading partner.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Meanwhile hot political news from Westminster:

Andrea Jenkyns' two dogs, Gadiver and Lady have won the Overall Best Dog prize at the Westminster Dog of the Year show.
  • Options
    @MSmithsonPB: I'm looking forward to the first Jeremy Corbyn Donald Trump summit
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    I quite agree. Scandal is hilariously stupid too, but I stuck with it until start of S4 when her mother appeared more.

I haven't seen anything over the summer that I'd bother watching more of - the Fall seasons are old stalwarts for me, would you recommend anything else?

Will try Blindspot.

That got stupid real fast for me. Plus they bottled the obvious she did it plot & went totally implausible - wonder if it was getting a 2nd season that triggered that.

Blindspot looks interesting out of the new stuff, but i am getting backlogged on so much stuff ATM.
  • Options

JEO said:

It's scare tactics. The Obama Administration do not want the UK to leave the EU because our presence within it pulls the whole organisation closer to US interests.

There is no question there's actually be a deal if we left given the U.S. is our most important ally and trading partner.
    All bets are off if Trump, Carson, Cruz or Sanders get to the Oval office ! Hopefully at the end of the day it will be one of the sensible ones.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited October 2015

The US are terrified of a EU without the UK in it. When it comes to defence and foreign policy the EU and US differ considerably. They think that with the UK as a member we will be able to steer the EU in the right direction.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Incorrect. The worst Bond film ever is Die Another Day.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I repress that film

Even I cringed at the single entendres in that film.

Me!
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2015

Yes, I'm sure that is right. In practice it would probably be virtually identical to TTIP (assuming that goes through), and quite possibly based on exactly the same text.

I think the whole 'trade deal' thing is a red herring on both sides, actually. We'll have increasingly open trade relations with all the main international markets either as part of the EU, or via EFTA, or by bilateral deals. The nature of those deals will be very similar however they are negotiated.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Eventually you'll like the film.

Possibly, but unlikely.

I saw Skyfall 3 times in short succession. I would happily have sat through it again as soon as I saw it the first time.

I couldn't wait for Spectre to end
    I am the opposite of you. I really hated Skyfall.
  • Options
    I find this all fascinating - I was bored stiff and eye-rolling during Skyfall, yet others loved it. I didn't bother with QoS and very wary of Spectre.

I don't really remember DAD, wasn't that when they paid Connery $6m just to keep the franchise going?

Scott_P said:

• Options

I find this all fascinating - I was bored stiff and eye-rolling during Skyfall, yet others loved it. I didn't bother with QoS and very wary of Spectre.

I don't really remember DAD, wasn't that when they paid Connery $6m just to keep the franchise going?

Scott_P said:

Brosnan's final film.

It is the Star Trek V of the Bond films
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Sean_F said:

The producers have said they disliked that particular character. What I do find strange is the way they've opted to change the personalities of some major characters, compared to the books. Some of them (Tyrion, Cersei,) are significantly nicer; others (Daenerys, Stannis, Melisandre) significantly worse.

Daenerys is just so goody-goody in the books that it makes it seem inevitable that she'll win in the end, possibly with Tyrion as a mate, and she's got the dragons who trump the other kinds of power by being menacing and cute at the same time. The series is better in making her more ambiguous. Cersei is also more interesting when not the almost uniformly nasty piece of work that she is in the books. Stannis is more nuanced in the books though.

Back on topic - this piece in a conservative (I think) journal sums up the GOP race convincingly:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/we-have-our-final-six_1055055.html
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,219
    William_H said:

"The United States has free trade agreements in force with 20 countries. These are:

Australia
    Bahrain
    Canada
    Chile
    Colombia
    Costa Rica
    Dominican Republic
    El Salvador
    Guatemala
    Honduras
    Israel
    Jordan
    Korea
    Mexico
    Morocco
    Nicaragua
    Oman
    Panama
    Peru
    Singapore"

Not all free trade agreements (FTAs) are equal.

The Swiss FTA with China, for example, doesn't actually remove tariffs. It merely reduces them over a period of 15 years. And it doesn't cover trade in many services, or allow Swiss firms to offer financial services products to Chinese clients, or allow Swiss companies to own more than xx% of firms in certain areas.

The deal between EFTA countries and the EU allows EFTA countries to have full access to the EU free market in goods and services. The deal between the EU and Switzerland, for example, has free trade in goods, but not in services. (Which is one of the reasons why UBS has more people in London than in Zurich these days.)

The US ones you mention also contain a degree of asymmetry. Australia has removed all tariffs on products imported from the US. But, the US has only removed tariffs from some products imported from Australia. And the Morocco one only covers a subset of goods exported.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,252
    edited October 2015

Miss Cyclefree, one suspects the metropolitans were unwilling to accept the Emperor had no clothes.

[Snipped]

blockquote>

IN RESPONSE TO MR DANCER

I think in this case the Emperor had need of rather a large number of clothes.

The Great She-Fatso's MO comes as no surprise to me. It is the MO of every con-artist and every fraudster I've ever encountered. As is the amazing gullibility of those who believe what they want to be true and fail to ask the most basic questions. Her CV, for instance, was full of holes and that in itself should have been a red flag. After all, if someone does not tell the truth about small details, why believe them about big, important stuff?

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Gerri Halliwell in a Union Jack dress?

@AGKD123: Cufflinks in the form of Churchill's face made from bits of old spitfires. Could there be anything more patriotic? https://t.co/G3QFC5QCRR
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,533

Yes, I'm sure that is right. In practice it would probably be virtually identical to TTIP (assuming that goes through), and quite possibly based on exactly the same text.

I think the whole 'trade deal' thing is a red herring on both sides, actually. We'll have increasingly open trade relations with all the main international markets either as part of the EU, or via EFTA, or by bilateral deals. The nature of those deals will be very similar however they are negotiated.
    But many in-leaning waverers will say ooooh-er.

It is a gift to IN because the campaigns are all about scare and conjecture. This is something that would be unequivocally bad for the UK, no matter that, if OUT transpired, we would do a deal with them.

Too soon to say fatal because it is early days. But certainly a body blow.
  • Options
    Die Another's Day 'innuendo' is dreadful (shame, as Rosamund Pike is super).

Overdid the gadgets, and the CGI looked bad even at the time.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    edited October 2015
    My favourite TV shows: Breaking Bad, Carnivale, the Wire, Game of Thrones, the Leftovers, True Detective.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, a regimental crest of two crossed dead Frenchmen emblazoned on a mound of dead Frenchmen motif.

Miss Cyclefree, quite.
  • Options

Is what put me of the Brosnan films too much tech.

Why I like Skyfall and Spectre is Ben Wishaw's Q.

His scenes with Bond are magic.

"I told you bring it back it in one piece, not bring back one piece"
  • Options

I haven't seen anything over the summer that I'd bother watching more of - the Fall seasons are old stalwarts for me, would you recommend anything else?

Not much so far this year. I'll miss Forever & Backstrom.

I did my usual trick of downloading the first episodes of all the interesting shows that appeared, and then a month later still haven't watched most them...

Both Quantico & Rosewood are in my backlog, but would seem to be the usual US crime show formula...

Only stayed current with my old favorites.

Crossing Lines is the only show that popped up during the summer although its on its 3rd season & works strangely well despite being by the numbers.

Mind you discovering Sea Patrol on universal when I had a few days off was interesting. Also been rewatching the Avengers
  • Options

I find zombies very hard to take seriously. Especially zombies who jump out of genre/canon at convenient deus ex machina points.

I do like iZombie though, it's funny and mixes story arc with daft pathology procedural - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3501584/?ref_=nv_sr_2

Don't do zombies. A stupid genre.

Although I did have an idea for a Zombie Olympics, where the Zombie athletes could actually run and throw stuff...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,219

Scott_P said:

Possibly, but unlikely.

I saw Skyfall 3 times in short succession. I would happily have sat through it again as soon as I saw it the first time.

I didn't hate Skyfall, but I thought it was hideously over-rated. The plot made no real sense. (Wait: he deliberately got captured so he'd be put in this specific holding cell he could jump out of at exactly the right time to attack the hearings at the Houses of Parliament... Surely there would be a simpler way.)

What Spectre got spot on was the Bond girl. She was strong and awesome.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

It's just bloody awful start to finish. Bad CGI. Madonna. Irritating shots and directing. No chemistry between Brosnan and Berry. Shitty one liners. Tries to be 'fast and furious' but just embarassing.

I had my head in my hands. Fundamentally, the problem is that the producers simply don't know how to write a good Bond film without hinging it on a Fleming novel or rehashing past glories.

That's why Casino Royale was very good, but the rest haven't been for a while. They should be aiming at more Goldeneye/The Living Daylights rather than Moonraker/Tomorrow Never Dies.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    What i dislike about the walking dead, is that is has all the ingredients of been amazing, and some series have been good, but most of it is just tedium. A whole series stuck on a farm. It might as well have not happened. There's no real talk about life with diminishing resources, occasional flashes, but mostly just ham acting.

One of my favourite books is Wyndham's Day of the Triffids. Despite it being pigeon holed as a 'cosy catastrophe', you get a much greater sense of the break down of everything we know. Even more relevant today with what seems infinite specialisms, as individuals we need to know less and less about the world around us.

I get no sense from Walking dead, just what it means to survive when our advanced industrial
    society ends.
  • Options

Even Rosamund Pike and Toby Stephens couldn't save it.
  • Options

Even Rosamund Pike and Toby Stephens couldn't save it.
    They made my chat up lines look subtle and elegant
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    rcs1000 said:

William_H said:

Australia
    Bahrain
    Canada
    Chile
    Colombia
    Costa Rica
    Dominican Republic
    El Salvador
    Guatemala
    Honduras
    Israel
    Jordan
    Korea
    Mexico
    Morocco
    Nicaragua
    Oman
    Panama
    Peru
    Singapore"

The Swiss FTA with China, for example, doesn't actually remove tariffs. It merely reduces them over a period of 15 years. And it doesn't cover trade in many services, or allow Swiss firms to offer financial services products to Chinese clients, or allow Swiss companies to own more than xx% of firms in certain areas.

The deal between EFTA countries and the EU allows EFTA countries to have full access to the EU free market in goods and services. The deal between the EU and Switzerland, for example, has free trade in goods, but not in services. (Which is one of the reasons why UBS has more people in London than in Zurich these days.)

The US ones you mention also contain a degree of asymmetry. Australia has removed all tariffs on products imported from the US. But, the US has only removed tariffs from some products imported from Australia. And the Morocco one only covers a subset of goods exported.
    What I have never understood, and you may be able to enlighten me, is why any country would sign a trade deal that is not reciprocal in its terms or at least provides equal benefit. Why would for example a service economy agree a deal in which it is shut out of the market in services of the "partner" country?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

William_H said:

Australia
    Bahrain
    Canada
    Chile
    Colombia
    Costa Rica
    Dominican Republic
    El Salvador
    Guatemala
    Honduras
    Israel
    Jordan
    Korea
    Mexico
    Morocco
    Nicaragua
    Oman
    Panama
    Peru
    Singapore"

What I have never understood, and you may be able to enlighten me, is why any country would sign a trade deal that is not reciprocal in its terms or at least provides equal benefit. Why would for example a service economy agree a deal in which it is shut out of the market in services of the "partner" country?
    Because not all countries are equal? The more powerful can demand on a favourable agreement.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Revolution tried that and failed terribly. Great concept > crap plots/changing tack. I wish they'd try doing it again and I could forget their first attempts.
    notme said:

What i dislike about the walking dead, is that is has all the ingredients of been amazing, and some series have been good, but most of it is just tedium. A whole series stuck on a farm. It might as well have not happened. There's no real talk about life with diminishing resources, occasional flashes, but mostly just ham acting.

One of my favourite books is Wyndham's Day of the Triffids. Despite it being pigeon holed as a 'cosy catastrophe', you get a much greater sense of the break down of everything we know. Even more relevant today with what seems infinite specialisms, as individuals we need to know less and less about the world around us.

I get no sense from Walking dead, just what it means to survive when our advanced industrial
    society ends.

• Options

TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

What a show

1. The Wire
    2. West Wing
    3. The Sopranos
    4. Breaking Bad
    5. Southland
    6. The Good Wife
    7. The Killing
    8. Nashville
    9. Homeland
    10. 24
    1) Twin Peaks
    3) The West Wing
    4) Breaking Bad
    5) The Sopranos
    6) Band of Brothers
    7) Spartacus
    8) House
    10) The Big Bang Theory

The Good Lady Wifi is very, very taken with Suits. When we got back from France, she was very annoyed when the next episode hadn't recorded, turning to comically distraught when she found the series was on a break until January.
  • Options
    @AGKD123: @TSEofPB There's also this. Suck on that Britain First! http://www.poppyshop.org.uk/poppy-hijab-head-scarf-1557.html
  • Options
    edited October 2015

TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

What a show

1. The Wire
    2. West Wing
    3. The Sopranos
    4. Breaking Bad
    5. Southland
    6. The Good Wife
    7. The Killing
    8. Nashville
    9. Homeland
    10. 24
    1) Twin Peaks
    3) The West Wing
    4) Breaking Bad
    5) The Sopranos
    6) Band of Brothers
    7) Spartacus
    8) House
    10) The Big Bang Theory

The Good Lady Wifi is very, very taken with Suits. When we got back from France, she was very annoyed when the next episode hadn't recorded, turning to comically distraught when she found the series was on a break until January.
    I love Suits, you can buy the last episode from iTunes.

Absolutely amazing episode
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Possibly, but unlikely.

It's odd the way familiarity can breed fondness as well as contempt. I know some of the places Skyfall was filmed well, and I loved seeing them on the big screen. In particular the single-track road down Glen Etive, where one of my Chinese mates from school nearly drowned whilst crossing the river.

Instead of walking a few miles upstream to a bridge and then back down again, I decided to cross the river, which is filled with boulders (erratics). I managed to do it, and the water was up to my chest. One of the two Chinese blokes was last to cross, and I watched as he stepped off a boulder and he went in over his head. It seemed to take him an age to resurface. He wasn't very happy with my shortcut ...
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    antifrank said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

@Tim_B Is online gambling banned in the USA btw ? The law around gambling seems completely odd - I didn't get the Fantasy Football question at the time as it conjured up memories of sending a team off with a £2 entry fee on a postcard to the Daily Telegraph or some such.

Fantasy Football is the way round gambling in the U.S. isn't it? Weekly big prizes instead of yearly

About to be the next big thing here I'm told
    When I was in the US in September it was being plugged as relentlessly as the betting ads on Sky Sports. Presumably its legality is dependent on it being a game of skill rather than a game of chance.
    Fantasy football has a specific exemption carved out for it in American law.

Fan Duel who are one of the two leaders of the field are a Scottish company valued over a billion dollars who have their offices right above Skyscanner's - who are also a Scottish company valued over a billion dollars.
  • Options
    I've gone tepid on Suits, Litte is unbelieveable now.

TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

What a show

1. The Wire
    2. West Wing
    3. The Sopranos
    4. Breaking Bad
    5. Southland
    6. The Good Wife
    7. The Killing
    8. Nashville
    9. Homeland
    10. 24
    1) Twin Peaks
    3) The West Wing
    4) Breaking Bad
    5) The Sopranos
    6) Band of Brothers
    7) Spartacus
    8) House
    10) The Big Bang Theory

• Options
    edited October 2015

Sean_F said:

The producers have said they disliked that particular character. What I do find strange is the way they've opted to change the personalities of some major characters, compared to the books. Some of them (Tyrion, Cersei,) are significantly nicer; others (Daenerys, Stannis, Melisandre) significantly worse.

Daenerys is just so goody-goody in the books that it makes it seem inevitable that she'll win in the end, possibly with Tyrion as a mate, and she's got the dragons who trump the other kinds of power by being menacing and cute at the same time. The series is better in making her more ambiguous. Cersei is also more interesting when not the almost uniformly nasty piece of work that she is in the books. Stannis is more nuanced in the books though.

Back on topic - this piece in a conservative (I think) journal sums up the GOP race convincingly:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/we-have-our-final-six_1055055.html
    I don't see Daenerys in the books as being goody-goody after about her fourth chapter of Book 1. In fact, she does quite a lot of stuff that would make her a villain in the hands of another writer. The Show emphasises the brutal side of her character, while downplaying the compassion and self-doubt.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Bwin are still 13-2 on Rubio for the presidency if anyone can get on with them !

Betfair still arbing their own exchange with 6-1...
  • Options
    Headline of the Day
    Salem witches at war: 'Priestess' takes 'world's best-known warlock' to court accusing him of harassment

Lori Sforza filed for court-ordered protection against harassment from Christian Day, whose website calls him the 'world's best-known warlock'
    Sforza accused Day of harassing her online and over the phone for three years
    She calls herself a psychic and a clairvoyant, and claims to be a descendant of Italian witches who healed victims of the bubonic plague
    Day and Sforza were once business associates together
    In 2011 they cast spells together to try to heal actor Charlie Sheen, who had called himself a 'Vatican assassin warlock' during an television interview

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3292490/Salem-witch-takes-warlock-court-alleged-harassment.html#ixzz3pxX6v4fG