Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Lynton Crosby could do it again next week and give the Tori

SystemSystem Posts: 11,694
edited October 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Lynton Crosby could do it again next week and give the Tories outright power on a third of the vote

Canadians go to the polls next week in an election that has echoes of the British General Election in May – the most intriguing being the involvement of Lynton Crosby.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,529
    edited October 2015
    Lynton Crosby, what a guy.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges 12m12 minutes ago
    Kids Company select committee session is off the charts.

Something has finally got him off Corbyn and the Labour meltdown!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Even as the SNP preaches freedom, devolution and pluralism in Britain, within Scotland it hoards power, stamping on regional differences, tightening the state’s control and marginalising critics.

Unsurprisingly, the result is poor government. Tax receipts frittered away on “free” middle-class giveaways, combined with a snooty rejection of England’s decentralising public-sector reforms, have seen hospital waiting lists grow. Literacy rates are falling while class sizes rise. Fewer Scots from poor families go to university than their English equivalents, and the gap is growing. In August the European Commission suspended regional-development payments over doubts about Edinburgh’s ability to spend the money wisely.
    http://www.economist.com/news/britain/21674723-cawdors-shadow-soft-autocracy-nationalist-scotland
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''Immigration and race never seem to be far from the Crosby mind.''

Errr.....its Sadiq that's proposing ethnic quotas and positive discrimination, isn;t it, treacle???
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,856

Genuine question. In what way are Harper and Crosby exploiting "Islamophobia?"
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @bbclaurak: Sturgeon tells me thumping victory in 2016 wont be enough to call for a second referendum
  • Options
    In what way are Harper and Crosby exploiting "Islamophobia?"

I think the writer's point is that the tories will play the islam card if Zac starts to fall behind.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    It was like being sucked into a blackhole. I couldn't pull away - every two mins another outrageous bit of dissembling, ludicrous claim, being told to stop talking, huffing/puffing/swearing under their breath, verbal ectoplasm...and finally abusive limericks.

The latter will no doubt keep Twitter entertained for the afternoon.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Out of Labour and the Tories only one of them have exploited Islamophobia in recent times and it ain't the Tories.

Or have we forgotten Phil Woolas?
  • Options
    "Are you thinking what I'm thinking" got me considering whether to vote Lib Dem or something else instead of Conservative, instead I pinched my nose and voted Conservative without any real enthusiasm.

I'm sure Crosby deserves a lot of credit for the 2015 victory but a majority was won in 2015 by "love-bombing" the Liberals and taking over the centre-ground, not playing race cards.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,193
    Nice trolling by Don.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    taffys said:

I think the writer's point is that the tories will play the islam card if Zac starts to fall behind.

What is the Islam card?

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    Not really a fan of Crosby's style.

But you can't deny it gets results.
  • Options

taffys said:

What is the Islam card?

Electing Sajid Javid as next Tory leader.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897
    Seems like a tougher job than our election - if he can pull if off, fair play to Crosby on a professional level, whatever one thinks of his tactics
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    I don't get the point of this article. Is it 'Tories are racists', or am I missing some subtleties?
  • Options

taffys said:

What is the Islam card?

In all likelihood, there will be people who vote for Goldsmith because Khan is a Muslim; and there'll be people who vote for Khan, because Goldsmith is a Jew. And in parts of London, elections are heavily polarised by race and religion.

But, I'd be surprised if the Conservatives try to whip up feeling against Khan because he's a Muslim. Ken Livingstone was a good deal more shameless in trying to exploit ethnic animosity.
  • Options

taffys said:

What is the Islam card?

That wouldn't be playing a card of any kind, it would be listening to the wishes of those who voted. I really don't get this obsession with culture or religion.

• Options
    I'm writing a piece on the Tory campaign of 2015 and I came across this humdinger from Lord Ashcroft when Lynton was appointed in 2012

4. Be positive, and don’t rely on Ed Miliband

David Cameron is the Conservatives’ biggest single asset and continues to trounce Ed Miliband in the leadership ratings. But while many people will vote Conservative because of Cameron, others will vote Labour despite Miliband. Aggressively pointing out his flaws, which they can see anyway, will not change their vote – but, as in 2010, it will represent a missed opportunity to show why they should support us instead.

http://bit.ly/1VTTvZI
  • Options
    John_M said:

I don't get the point of this article. Is it 'Tories are racists', or am I missing some subtleties?

You may have missed it as its remarkably subtle but there is an undercurrent of "the left are the good guys" too.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,920

taffys said:

What is the Islam card?

:+1:
  • Options

taffys said:

What is the Islam card?

That wouldn't be playing a card of any kind, it would be listening to the wishes of those who voted. I really don't get this obsession with culture or religion.

It was sarcasm on my part to Don's point.

Labour use Muslims to make the white folks angry, not the Tories.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    This Batman woman is deffo Abbott
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

taffys said:

What is the Islam card?

In all likelihood, there will be people who vote for Goldsmith because Khan is a Muslim; and there'll be people who vote for Khan, because Goldsmith is a Jew. And in parts of London, elections are heavily polarised by race and religion.

But, I'd be surprised if the Conservatives try to whip up feeling against Khan because he's a Muslim. Ken Livingstone was a good deal more shameless in trying to exploit ethnic animosity.
    What % of those voting know Zac is a Jew (I didn't) and what % cares? If the people of London are voting on religious or cultural grounds we're in one hell of a mess.

• Options
    John_M said:

I have some liberal Canadian friends and that is definitely the message they are spreading - it's a bit awkward as they tend to assume I must hate all Tories like they hate theirs, but I don't even know if their Tories are close to ours, who I don't hate, so find it difficult to comment.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

taffys said:

What is the Islam card?

Labour actually produced different manifestos for different races at the election, as well as driving a pink (or was it magenta) bus for women. Remember the clip of Miliband asking if a Sikh Tory activist "would get the Sikh vote out" for Labour?

But yes Don, the "good guys" of the Left never ever play race cards *rolleyes*. Don's articles are always the most partisan and extreme but he has jumped the shark here.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

taffys said:

What is the Islam card?

What % of those voting know Zac is a Jew (I didn't) and what % cares? If the people of London are voting on religious or cultural grounds we're in one hell of a mess.

The people who campaigned for Lutfur Rahman, and their counterparts in other boroughs, would certainly be aware of Goldsmith's ethnic origin, and will make sure that others know about it.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    If this select committee inquiry comes out on DVD I would definitely buy it..
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    What a nasty smeary article.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

taffys said:

What is the Islam card?

Labour actually produced different manifestos for different races at the election, as well as driving a pink (or was it magenta) bus for women. Remember the clip of Miliband asking if a Sikh Tory activist "would get the Sikh vote out" for Labour?

But yes Don, the "good guys" of the Left never ever play race cards *rolleyes*. Don's articles are always the most partisan and extreme but he has jumped the shark here.
    Cameron was dressed up in funny headgear and dress when he visited a group of people in Gravesend I believe. Politics of the lowest kind.

• Options
    Mr Thompson:

Labour actually produced different manifestos for different races at the election

If that's true they deserved to lose heavily.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

taffys said:

What is the Islam card?

Cameron was dressed up in funny headgear and dress when he visited a group of people in Gravesend I believe. Politics of the lowest kind.

I've been into temples across the globe and have worn "funny" gear when I did, that's just paying respect. Like taking your shoes off. That's not the same as saying "vote for me because *insert race/gender/other way to objectify someone here*"
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

taffys said:

What is the Islam card?

The people who campaigned for Lutfur Rahman, and their counterparts in other boroughs, would certainly be aware of Goldsmith's ethnic origin, and will make sure that others know about it.
    You're probably right, as I said earlier if campaigns are run on religious or cultural grounds we are royally f***ed.

• Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

Mr Thompson:

Labour actually produced different manifestos for different races at the election

On their present trajectory, they'll probably elect Batmangehlidgh leader next.
  • Options
    I have actually seen the Canadian Tory strategy summed up as 'We're a little bit racist, and we think you are too' - that may or may not be fair, as it came from someone I know to despise Tories, and I don't trust the political interpretations of people who hate their opponents without checking that view out first, but if that is a slanted but still broadly accurate depiction of the thrust (if not tone or specific content) of the Tory offer, then the piece seems fair game.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Sean_F said:

taffys said:

What is the Islam card?

I've been into temples across the globe and have worn "funny" gear when I did, that's just paying respect. Like taking your shoes off. That's not the same as saying "vote for me because *insert race/gender/other way to objectify someone here*"
    Did you go there hoping for votes?

PS I didn't expect you to castigate or condemn Cameron in any way, however if Ed put a turban on............

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2015
    What is it about the left which makes them so obsessed with inventing demons who, they think, cackle and manipulate voters, in defiance of all evidence or even vague plausibility? Ashcroft (before he went all anti-Cameron), Murdoch (after he cooled on Labour) and now Lynton Crosby.

I suppose it's a symptom of the left's failure to understand that not everyone thinks they are any more the 'good guys' than their opponents are, and that therefore anyone who doesn't vote for the left must by definition have been manipulated.

It's a particularly bizarre view from the party of Alastair Campbell.
  • Options
    By the by, is it true Osborne once ridiculed the idea of signing up to a fiscal responsibility charter? Hilarious if so.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

By the by, is it true Osborne once ridiculed the idea of signing up to a fiscal responsibility charter? Hilarious if so.

Yup, I'll post a link to it shortly
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,027

Mr Thompson:

Do you know how to spell her name, or did you copy and paste it?
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Mr Thompson:

I know how to spell it, one of my friends has that surname too.

He was in no way teased at school for having that surname.

Bloody Iranians coming over here, ruining our surnames
  • Options

It was like being sucked into a blackhole. I couldn't pull away - every two mins another outrageous bit of dissembling, ludicrous claim, being told to stop talking, huffing/puffing/swearing under their breath, verbal ectoplasm...and finally abusive limericks.

I've been watching the cricket, possibly the dullest Test match I have ever witnessed.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Yes, but Osborne's fiscalresponsibilitycharter is simply an infeasibly long acronym which means 'Giant trap for Labour'. Not the same thing at all.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Yes. Guido has it on video, from before the 2010 election.
    Labour's researchers really should have found it before the debate yesterday, it might have given them some ammunition. Most Chancellors try a similar political stunt, but McDonnell fell into the big trap.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    Two Don Brind articles in one day. OGH is spoiling us.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,193
    kle4 said:

I have actually seen the Canadian Tory strategy summed up as 'We're a little bit racist, and we think you are too' - that may or may not be fair, as it came from someone I know to despise Tories, and I don't trust the political interpretations of people who hate their opponents without checking that view out first, but if that is a slanted but still broadly accurate depiction of the thrust (if not tone or specific content) of the Tory offer, then the piece seems fair game.

Yes, but it implies equivalence between the Canadian Tories and Cameron's Tories which would seem unfair if what you say is true.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

I've been watching the cricket, possibly the dullest Test match I have ever witnessed.
    We've got another 2 more of these tests on these kind of tracks.

Here's something that I've learned from this test match

“What’s the difference between Dubai and Abu Dhabi?”

“People in Dubai don’t like the Flintstones but people in Abu Dhabi doooooo.”
  • Options

I thought about going to watch it live this afternoon, but after watching the morning session on TV decided that PB and the select committee hearing were more entertaining than a dead flat pitch and two teams playing for a certain draw.
  • Options

What is it about the left which makes them so obsessed with inventing demons who, they think, cackle and manipulate voters, in defiance of all evidence or even vague plausibility? Ashcroft (before he went all anti-Cameron), Murdoch (after he cooled on Labour) and now Lynton Crosby.

I suppose it's a symptom of the left's failure to understand that not everyone thinks they are any more the 'good guys' than their opponents are, and that therefore anyone who doesn't vote for the left must by definition have been manipulated.

It's a particularly bizarre view from the party of Alastair Campbell.

There does seem a strand of thought that the public cannot really have meant to elect the Tories, that they didn't realise what that meant (despite the Left telling them what that meant). Corbyn himself expressed that view in a recent interview. So even a loss is not really a loss, the people were just confused.

I suppose the Tory reaction is simply that the people were wrong when they vote in Labour, but they seem more inclined to state directly they were wrong, ie stupid, as opposed to the sometime used Left view that the public are wrong, but they didn't mean it, ie they are both stupid and infantile to boot.

It feels like wanting to blame the public without actually appearing to blame them, so you call one side good and one bad, and identify manipulators who fooled the public who would definitely support you if they understood.

The extremes seem to take this to bizarre ends, as should be expected - no self awareness when proclaiming to speak for the nation, even if the nation voted in the opposite way, because the vote didn't count, people know who the good guys are and that counts.

As it is, Crosby might come up with strategems which play well with the public, but that doesn't make people 'falling' for it less responsible - if he is playing a race card and the public go for it, the problem is that they went for it, not merely that someone played the card, so the 'problem' is still the people.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I would vote against the Tories in Canada for no other reason than they'd inflicted such a long-running election campaign on the public. Some sins are unforgivable.

The election will be another test of polling. We've had a fair few elections this year (UK, Greece, Israel) where the polls have turned out to be dangerously misleading. A three-way race with a very experienced incumbent who is currently not flavour of the month looks like exactly the type of contest to cause pollsters to wake up in the middle of the night with a cold sweat.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Imagine having paid to go to watch it!
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

Mr Thompson:

I took a flier and got it wrong. Apparently it ends 'djh', which I ought to remember as they used to be my initials. Also, it's 'h' before 'e' when following 'g'.
  • Options

Still would prefer to watch this than England's rugby team.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

All but the Hospitality areas are free admission for the Test matches. The only real interest from the Pakistan fans are the 50 and especially the 20 over games. The latter will all be sellouts, the Dubai stadium holds 30k people (and is about 300 yards from my apartment)!
  • Options

Is it true that Test Cricket is even more boring than Golf?
  • Options

Mr Thompson:

I took a flier and got it wrong. Apparently it ends 'djh', which I ought to remember as they used to be my initials. Also, it's 'h' before 'e' when following 'g'.
    I thought it was Batman-Robber
  • Options

Sean_F said:

taffys said:

What is the Islam card?

PS I didn't expect you to castigate or condemn Cameron in any way, however if Ed put a turban on............

No but it makes no difference, when you go into somebody else's home or temple you pay respect in the appropriate way. That is just basic good manners. I have seen Ed do what you say and NEVER criticised him for it and NEVER would.

What I object to is having different manifestos for different races/genders etc and viewing people as "the black vote", "the Muslim vote", "the woman vote". I believe in individuality and think we should appeal to people as they are and not a caste.
  • Options

You will be cured of your barbarous ways one day, i am sure - nothing could be more boring than (watching) Golf.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,362
    edited October 2015

Mr Thompson:

I thought it was Batman-Robber
    I saw the Bat Cave on Sunday - at Longleat!

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/06/67/be/37/longleat.jpg
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,220
    taffys said:

Isn't that what Sadiq Khan is already doing by emphasising the fact that he is a Muslim? Who cares what his religion is. But he makes a point of mentioning it. I've no idea what Boris's religion, if he has one, is.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

taffys said:

What is the Islam card?

I hope the mayoral campaign doesn't turn nasty but if it does at least it might dent the sanctimony of people like David Hare and Philip Stephens who think London is a liberal paradise incased a deeply reactionary nation.
  • Options
    Oh dear oh dear. What is it about the left? So disconnected they cannot understand why the Tories ever win.
  • Options
    The magic disappearing SNP Edinburgh office:
    https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/654605736056614912
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    edited October 2015

Sean_F said:

taffys said:

What is the Islam card?

How deeply depressing that in the 21st century, we seem to be going backwards on people voting on such a racist or sectarian basis. It seems that we've overcome the historic Protestant-Catholic hatred in mainland Britain, only to bring in fresh sectarianism from the Muslim world.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

taffys said:

What is the Islam card?

No but it makes no difference, when you go into somebody else's home or temple you pay respect in the appropriate way. That is just basic good manners. I have seen Ed do what you say and NEVER criticised him for it and NEVER would.

What I object to is having different manifestos for different races/genders etc and viewing people as "the black vote", "the Muslim vote", "the woman vote". I believe in individuality and think we should appeal to people as they are and not a caste.
    Cameron dressing up in dress to appeal to a certain culture or race is risible, going by your standards he'd be changing clothes every 5 minutes, occasionally wearing a Rastafarian wig.

• Options

Sean_F said:

taffys said:

What is the Islam card?

Didn't know there was Gravesend Hunt..
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Cyclefree said:

taffys said:

Isn't that what Sadiq Khan is already doing by emphasising the fact that he is a Muslim? Who cares what his religion is. But he makes a point of mentioning it. I've no idea what Boris's religion, if he has one, is.
    Boris is a Borisist
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,655
    Just to say, from my extremely limited "inside" knowledge of the Canadian Liberal Party, it is not immune from sectarian in-fighting.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

taffys said:

Boris is a Borisist
    Boroastrian?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

taffys said:

Boris is a Borisist
    Boris is an Anglican according to Wiki:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_Johnson
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    edited October 2015

Mr Thompson:

My ancestors Anglocised their surname to make it easier for people to say it. I wish others would too!
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

All but the Hospitality areas are free admission for the Test matches. The only real interest from the Pakistan fans are the 50 and especially the 20 over games. The latter will all be sellouts, the Dubai stadium holds 30k people (and is about 300 yards from my apartment)!
    Unless one is an expat there;s still the air fare and the hotel. My recollection is that there are not a lot of hotels nearby, but it’s a while since I was there!
  • Options
    Trudeau, Clinton, Bush: just like old times
  • Options
    JEO said:

Sean_F said:

taffys said:

What is the Islam card?

How deeply depressing that in the 21st century, we seem to be going backwards on people voting on such a racist or sectarian basis. It seems that we've overcome the historic Protestant-Catholic hatred in mainland Britain, only to bring in fresh sectarianism from the Muslim world.
    Well said Sir, a massive retrospective step.

• Options

Sean_F said:

taffys said:

What is the Islam card?

Didn't know there was Gravesend Hunt..
    Smiley face :-)
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

Sean_F said:

taffys said:

What is the Islam card?

Zac Goldsmith in not jewish. His father came from a jewish family, his mother did not. The religion is passed to the offspring through the mother according to jewish law; hence Zac is not a Jew.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

taffys said:

What is the Islam card?

Cameron dressing up in dress to appeal to a certain culture or race is risible, going by your standards he'd be changing clothes every 5 minutes, occasionally wearing a Rastafarian wig.

You're being absurd, people wear different clothes all the time depending upon the scenario. If a politician plays sport should they do so in a suit and tie in your eyes?
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    JEO said:

Mr Thompson:

My ancestors Anglocised their surname to make it easier for people to say it. I wish others would too!
    Simplifying a surname is not without its pitfalls – Isn’t there an American chap who anglicised his name and is now Mr Bumgardener..?
  • Options
    JEO said:

Mr Thompson:

Sue Neil :lol::lol:
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Sean_F said:

taffys said:

What is the Islam card?

Zac Goldsmith in not jewish. His father came from a jewish family, his mother did not. The religion is passed to the offspring through the mother according to jewish law; hence Zac is not a Jew.
    Surely Goldsmith is whatever he professes to be? Of which I neither know nor care the answer.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Sean_F said:

taffys said:

What is the Islam card?

His mum is Anglo-Irish: Lady Annabel Vane-Tempest-Stewart
  • Options

Oh dear oh dear. What is it about the left? So disconnected they cannot understand why the Tories ever win.

Recite after me (preferably about a million times): false consciousness. I believe that's lefty-speak for 'sheeple'.
  • Options

JEO said:

Mr Thompson:

Simplifying a surname is not without its pitfalls – Isn’t there an American chap who anglicised his name and is now Mr Bumgardener..?
    Randy Bumgardener
  • Options

MikeK said:

Sean_F said:

taffys said:

What is the Islam card?

Surely Goldsmith is whatever he professes to be? Of which I neither know nor care the answer.
    It's a Jewish sounding name, which is good enough for London's anti-semites. They don't need much excuse.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    X
    JEO said:

Sean_F said:

taffys said:

What is the Islam card?

Proof that multiculturalism doesn't work... If it did there wouldn't be a 'Muslim vote'
  • Options
    Good afternoon everyone.
    Thanks for keeping me updated on the Kids Company committee meeting today while I was stuck on a bus in Holloway.
    If anyone else missed it live you can catch it on the Parliamentlive.tv website.
    Be warned, it can be a little buffery.
    http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/5e1ce27a-7279-4ba3-9f3f-ed9998fbae7e
  • Options
    Mr Thompson

Lets take your argument to its logical conclusion - should he wear a claret and blue shirt to Villa Park (or is it West Ham today?), a turban in Gravesend, kilt in Edinburgh, etc etc or should dress like the Prime Minister of the UK and simply wear a dark suit and tie? There is a reason he's known as Heir to Blair and its not complimentary.

I'd genuinely love to view politics in the simplistic, tribal way you do where whatever Cameron does is ok.
  • Options

JEO said:

Mr Thompson:

Randy Bumgardener
    Baumgardner, actually!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Baumgardner

• Options
    edited October 2015
    @TSE: - Randy Bumgardener

Blimey, that’s even worse - some parents can be so cruel….

• Options

Sean_F said:

taffys said:

What is the Islam card?

You're being absurd, people wear different clothes all the time depending upon the scenario. If a politician plays sport should they do so in a suit and tie in your eyes?
    Remember when Cameron got ridiculed for wearing his work shoes on holiday?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

taffys said:

What is the Islam card?

Try again: Remember when Cameron got ridiculed for wearing his work shoes on holiday?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Unless one is an expat there;s still the air fare and the hotel. My recollection is that there are not a lot of hotels nearby, but it’s a while since I was there!
    Zayed Stadium is outside the city of AD but close to the new airport and the F1 track, so there's more hotels than there used to be in the area and they're finally opening 3* hotels. Taxis and rental cars are cheap here but flights are still very expensive though, despite the recent oil price drop.
  • Options
    If it did there wouldn't be a 'Muslim vote'

Is this a misnomer, I wonder. I often see female muslims covered in make-up, wearing heels and jewelry, sporting expensive mobile phones and brighty coloured headscarves. I even see some of the young men having sneaky beers in very crowded modern style pubs where its difficult to pick people out.

Who knows what they vote in the privacy of the poll booth?
  • Options

Mr Thompson

Lets take your argument to its logical conclusion - should he wear a claret and blue shirt to Villa Park (or is it West Ham today?), a turban in Gravesend, kilt in Edinburgh, etc etc or should dress like the Prime Minister of the UK and simply wear a dark suit and tie? There is a reason he's known as Heir to Blair and its not complimentary.

I'd genuinely love to view politics in the simplistic, tribal way you do where whatever Cameron does is ok.

It has nothing to do with Cameron, I have never criticised any politician of any stripe for wearing the appropriate clothing to suit a situation. Furthermore I have done the same myself. I am an atheist who views religion about the same as Richard Dawkins but while on holiday to Thailand I visited a Buddhist Temple and was asked in advance to wear different clothing to what I would otherwise have been wearing. I complied with that because it is a reasonable request in my eyes. If I go into your home I will treat your home with respect, the same if I go into your temple.

What I won't do is suggest we treat you differently based on your religion or race. That is where I draw the line, not clothing. I'm superficial like you I guess.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Sky
    Health and Safety Executive has brought charges against Mid Staffordshire NHS Foundation Trust over the deaths of four elderly patients
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,220
    JEO said:

Sean_F said:

taffys said:

What is the Islam card?

As class lost its potency, the Left focused on other categories: race, colour, sex, gender, religion etc and has played the identity politics game, to its eternal shame and our detriment. Livingstone is the past master of it hence his revolting comments to Jews and his cosying up to Islamic extremists.

It is deeply damaging to social cohesion, condescending and offensive to the people concerned and the very opposite of true diversity.

• Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

No. Bosanquet (who invented the googly) famously wrote to The Times distinguishing moving-ball games, like football and cricket, from still-ball games such as golf and snooker.
  • Options

Try again: Remember when Cameron got ridiculed for wearing his work shoes on holiday?
    Are you suggesting Cameron always wears a suit and tie because I suggest a simple Google Image Search will find plenty of pictures to show otherwise.

Not being fashionable is different to always wearing the same thing in all situations. Some people go crazy over shoes, I have three pairs of shoes - every day, smart, sport. I would rather not be judged over my shoes.
  • Options

Mr Thompson

It has nothing to do with Cameron, I have never criticised any politician of any stripe for wearing the appropriate clothing to suit a situation. Furthermore I have done the same myself. I am an atheist who views religion about the same as Richard Dawkins but while on holiday to Thailand I visited a Buddhist Temple and was asked in advance to wear different clothing to what I would otherwise have been wearing. I complied with that because it is a reasonable request in my eyes. If I go into your home I will treat your home with respect, the same if I go into your temple.

What I won't do is suggest we treat you differently based on your religion or race. That is where I draw the line, not clothing. I'm superficial like you I guess.
    You are mistaking (deliberately) the difference between visiting a sacred place abroad on holiday and cynically looking for votes in a domestic election.

You are contrary in your view, you won't treat anybody differently based on their religion but you'll dress to please or appease them.