Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » JC getting better at PMQs but still work in progress

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,205

HYUFD said:

Off topic, finally saw The Martian, great film, really piss poor science, but it had an awesome soundtrack from the 70s, including Waterloo by ABBA

Yes, saw it on Saturday, Matt Damon was very good (also wandered past the premiere a few weeks back and saw him in person)
    How tall is he?
    5ft 10 inches apparently
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Went to an interesting coversation this evening between Melvyn Bragg and Andrew Neil too on Bragg's new book on the Peasants Revolt, included a comparison between Corbyn and Wat Tyler

Go on, Mr. HYUFD, you can't drop a teaser in like that and sat no more. Are we to think that either Bragg or Neil expects Corbyn to attack the sovereign, behead the Archbishop of Canterbury and finally die under the Lord Mayor's dagger? Will Corbyn sack and burn the Savoy (going to be some upset Arabs if he does) or, perhaps, oversee the mass destruction of legal and property records?

Of course it is true that a great many of Tyler's followers ended up ruined.
    Melvyn B did say he thought Corbyn could mirror the aims of the Peasants Revolt for further decentralisation of power but was unsure what he stood for
    Were not the peasants revolting against a one party state? Whereas the only states Corbyn is noted for supporting are one party states?
    Bragg said they had plans to initiate their own government
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

@suttonnick: Thursday's Times front page:
    First new grammar in 50 years approved
    #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers http://t.co/ylauHS5EFG

@LucyMPowell: So after Cameron & @NickyMorgan01 said I was scaremongering, they are opening new grammar schools. What a retrograde step.

She will have to explain to me why they are bad - as it has been so long since the last new one opened, and with all these academies and faith schools and community voluntary aided schools or whatever various other types are called, and as someone without children, the educational waters are muddied and I don't ever recall it being explained to me why Grammar schools are bad.
    For Lefties, Grammar schools are the spawn of Satan.
    As the father of 9 year olds (so, seriously invested) I've gone off grammar schools. They divide kids far too brutally and precociously.

What we need is rigorously academic comprehensive schools that set by ability, with uniforms, patriotism, perhaps a few prayers, and strict discipline.

Having toured a number of London schools, I can say that is actually what we are getting. In London. And the surging results in London schools show this.
    Selection does not just have to be at 11, Finland selects at 16 for example
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

@LucyMPowell: So after Cameron & @NickyMorgan01 said I was scaremongering, they are opening new grammar schools. What a retrograde step.

She will have to explain to me why they are bad - as it has been so long since the last new one opened, and with all these academies and faith schools and community voluntary aided schools or whatever various other types are called, and as someone without children, the educational waters are muddied and I don't ever recall it being explained to me why Grammar schools are bad.
    The main reason grammar schools didn't work was that no second ter of education was put in place. The grammars were the focus of the system; they drew time and resources away from (what became) secondary moderns. There were none (just 6 IIRC?) of the promised technical schools, either.
  • Options
    LucyJones said:

Scott_P said:

I do not think grammars make sense given where we are now. Was this a govt initiative or a local govt one.
    I read that 1500 children in Kent are set to miss out on grammar school places. No idea why, just the headline.
    Children in Kent miss out on grammar school places because there is so much demand for those places from outside Kent (e.g. Surrey, East Sussex, Essex and London). Passing the 11+ around here does not guarantee a grammar school place.

I'm intrigued. I sat the 11+ in Essex, I wasn't aware it was possible to "pass" without getting into a grammar school, I thought those were synonymous.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Went to an interesting coversation this evening between Melvyn Bragg and Andrew Neil too on Bragg's new book on the Peasants Revolt, included a comparison between Corbyn and Wat Tyler

Go on, Mr. HYUFD, you can't drop a teaser in like that and sat no more. Are we to think that either Bragg or Neil expects Corbyn to attack the sovereign, behead the Archbishop of Canterbury and finally die under the Lord Mayor's dagger? Will Corbyn sack and burn the Savoy (going to be some upset Arabs if he does) or, perhaps, oversee the mass destruction of legal and property records?

Melvyn B did say he thought Corbyn could mirror the aims of the Peasants Revolt for further decentralisation of power but was unsure what he stood for
    Were not the peasants revolting against a one party state? Whereas the only states Corbyn is noted for supporting are one party states?
    He's the reporter from This Week, isn't he?
  • Options
    LucyJonesLucyJones Posts: 651

LucyJones said:

Scott_P said:

I do not think grammars make sense given where we are now. Was this a govt initiative or a local govt one.
    I read that 1500 children in Kent are set to miss out on grammar school places. No idea why, just the headline.
    Children in Kent miss out on grammar school places because there is so much demand for those places from outside Kent (e.g. Surrey, East Sussex, Essex and London). Passing the 11+ around here does not guarantee a grammar school place.

I'm intrigued. I sat the 11+ in Essex, I wasn't aware it was possible to "pass" without getting into a grammar school, I thought those were synonymous.
    In Kent, you take the test and apply for a school place once you get the result. So, depending on the entrance criteria, if you live too far away or don't score highly enough, you don't get a place. Living in Sevenoaks, you are quite a way from the grammars, so there are years when children pass the test, but don't get grammar school places. This has happened to the children of friends of mine.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

It can't be explained because there is no plausible explanation which isn't tribal.
  • Options
    LucyJones said:

LucyJones said:

Scott_P said:

In Kent, you take the test and apply for a school place once you get the result. So, depending on the entrance criteria, if you live too far away or don't score highly enough, you don't get a place. Living in Sevenoaks, you are quite a way from the grammars, so there are years when children pass the test, but don't get grammar school places. This has happened to the children of friends of mine.
    Some Kent grammars select by proximity some by exam ranking
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

He's the reporter from This Week, isn't he?
    Melvyn Bragg has probably done a few other things in his time