Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » JC getting better at PMQs but still work in progress

Comments

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @PolhomeEditor: Around 30 Labour MPs currently expected to rebel against the leadership in tonight's fiscal charter vote.
  • Options
    JEO said:

"Part of the problem is the four elections under Blair and Brown. Labour parties weren’t allowed to select the candidates they wanted, they had to choose from an approved list, which shifted the Parliamentary Labour Party massively to the right." He praised Ed Miliband for "abolishing the Blairite pre-vetting rule" and said "parties are now free to select the candidate they want".

So not only has Miliband handed control of the leadership appointment to the far left, he's handed control of the MP selections too.

I don't know what New Labour types can do here. The membership is now thoroughly left wing, and it's also massive, meaning it will be very hard for new members to moderate it. The internet and social media networks increase the bubble effect, where all setbacks get explained away, so these people are unlikely to be persuaded round after an election loss or two. And these people will control leadership and MP appointments for the next 10-15 years.

"Part of the problem is the four elections under Blair and Brown. Labour parties weren’t allowed to select the candidates they wanted, they had to choose from an approved list, which shifted the Parliamentary Labour Party massively to the right."
  • Options
    @MichaelLCrick: In Jan when Govt proposed similar Charter for Budget Responsibility Lab voted with Govt. 18 Lab MPs voted agst. Corbyn & McDonnell abstained
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,018
    Thanks Mr Price. I've decided to take £50 of profit on the cubs and a fiver on the Texas Rangers. :) Great tipping btw.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,086
    Scott_P said:

@PolhomeEditor: Around 30 Labour MPs currently expected to rebel against the leadership in tonight's fiscal charter vote.

Pah, that's no larger than the old awkward squad is it? If that's the case it's just elites switching places, not a proper insurrection.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,017
    Mr. P, 30 is a pathetic number, although abstentions may make the lack of loyalty more apparent.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,159
    notme said:

malcolmg said:

notme said:

malcolmg said:

From the 'you couldn't make it up' drawer:

Serco apologises after hiring stretch limo for asylum seekers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-34527534

Just sums up the cosy money making schemes the government has in place with its chums.
    This seems like a bit of a childish argument. What do you mean 'chums'? You do realise that contracts are not let out to friends, they go through a competitive process and recommendations given by a senior civil servant. In this case i understand that Serco have a contract. The cost of the stretch limo (crass by any sense) was coming from serco not the taxpayer directly. Extra cost or otherwise. It might have been cheaper to hire the stretch limo then it would be a taxi for seven people, which again might have been cheaper than a minibus and driver. A minibus and driver might not have been available, and the alternative was this or putting them up in a hotel for another night.

The company that provides the normal transport might be the same company that provides these kind of limos and that was the only one in the pool at that time.
    LOL, I take you are on the gravy train , their chums get the deals , £3000 for a taxi rather than £50 on the bus. Yes all above board and sure nobody could have done it for less.
    PS , you obviously know well these companies that magically win these contracts are stuffed with ex politicians, chums and civil servants etc.
    You find these kind of ridicukous things all over the place, usually the tax payer footing the excesses at some point. You blame corruption, which is usually not the case. Corruption is quite rare in the UK.

My sister told us of a case a few years ago, she had to drive from cumbria to a clinic in london to perform a late abortion for a patient who was at the time in the care of the local mental health trust.
    Three members of staff, one patient, and two overnight stays, because (for the second time) she couldnt be arsed to get the abortion earlier. I understand the baby was either over 24 weeks or very close to it and no other doctors outside this london clinic was prepared to carry out the procedure.

Could you imagine the cost?
    The waste and cronyism together will be costing fortunes, both examples just show the disgrace of what happens to the money being taken off taxpayers,, waste , stupidity and fraud cost a fortune.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited October 2015
    JEO said:

I don't know what New Labour types can do here.

They can come up with a good argument, and a good alternative to Corbyn, but which isn't simply proposing to approve/abstain on Tory economic policies, or else meaningless platitudes, as we got from the "mainstream" candidates in the last leadership contest.

Contrary to popular belief, the Labour membership are not all a bunch of diehard Commies - most are persuadable if a good "mainstream" direction is presented to us.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    "Our British friends have to dance" is a pretty damaging quote too.
  • Options
    If Serco are on the gravy train they ain't doing it very well. They 'lost' a billion quid and were in negative equity at the end of last year !
  • Options
    Mr. JEO, is that direct, or a translation?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,021
    Pulpstar said:

If Serco are on the gravy train they ain't doing it very well. They 'lost' a billion quid and were in negative equity at the end of last year !

a billion?
  • Options
    JEO said:

"Our British friends have to dance" is a pretty damaging quote too.

Maybe it's a cultural thing. I guess he means they have to play the game.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Mr. D, cultural indeed. He's an anti-democratic insidious bureaucrat.

Edited extra bit: a eunuch in the court of the later Han.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Scott_P said:

And see, this is where deselections are perfectly reasonable in my view. It's one thing to disagree with the leadership and argue for an alternative. It's quite another to actively allow the Tories to pass huge spending cuts which will clobber the people Labour are supposed to protect.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2015
    I'd have thought that the best thing for sane Labour MPs to do tonight would be to follow the lead of their Shadow Chancellor, and vote both for and against the motion.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

And see, this is where deselections are perfectly reasonable in my view. It's one thing to disagree with the leadership and argue for an alternative. It's quite another to actively allow the Tories to pass huge spending cuts.
    I still don't see how it is any different to being a serial rebel in the last parliament - doesn't any rebellion help your opponents to some degree. Fundamentally I'm having a problem seeing why rebels should be deselected now if they weren't before, particularly if they argue they are voting in accordance with the platform they were elected under (truthfully or otherwise), and so even if they are annoyances to the leadership, they are not betraying the party or their constituents.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,443
    The nurse story with ebola is really alarming. Several west African countries have now been declared ebola free. If there is a real risk of a recurrence in a patient who has recovered that seems a complete nonsense. Given the number of infections there unless she has been incredibly unlucky this is going to be chronic and recurring for the foreseeable future.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited October 2015

I'd have thought that the best thing for sane Labour MPs to do tonight would be to follow their Shadow Chancellor, and vote both for and against the motion.

Isn’t that technically an abstention? – and yes, I know you're only taking the Mick… :lol:
  • Options

Mr. JEO, is that direct, or a translation?

He was speaking in English.
  • Options

Isn’t that technically an abstention? – and yes, I know you're only taking the Mick… :lol:

Yes and Yes
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Maybe it's a cultural thing. I guess he means they have to play the game.

I think Brussels would be utterly stunned if the UK voted out.

CityAm have a good article on why OUT is gaining momentum.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited October 2015
    Danny565..Does Labour really represent anyone these days ..apart from themselves..most Labour run and controlled areas I visit on regular basis look as tho they are still stuck in the 50s The best dressed man in Bolsover is Skinner..
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

And see, this is where deselections are perfectly reasonable in my view. It's one thing to disagree with the leadership and argue for an alternative. It's quite another to actively allow the Tories to pass huge spending cuts which will clobber the people Labour are supposed to protect.
    But the charter (stunt though it may be) doesn't call for spending cuts. It calls for the state to run a surplus during normal times. Given our current debt (and the fact that we went into a crash with a lot of debt), that doesn't look too stupid, and clearly has some measure of electoral support, given the result on 7 May.

Labour can vote for the charter and come up with an alternative means to fulfil it. I believe Richard Murphy has some groundbreaking ideas on uncollected tax.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

Didnt they all stand on a platform in May of also eradicating the deficit in this parliament?
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Revenue £4 billion
    Cost of Sales Just over £4 Bn
    General overheads £600 M
    "Exceptional items" £650m
    Impairment on intangibles -£20m (Small beans really)
    Some minor adjustments on the pension as ever...

etc...

Loss for the year 1.35Bn;
    Change in equity -1.3Bn.

Equity at yr End -£66 M.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,761
    Rebelling because you want a policy position further to the left is a world away from rebelling because you agree with the Tories.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Revenue £4 billion
    General overheads £600 M

Other stuff

etc...

Change in equity -1.3Bn.

Equity at yr End -£66 M.

Damn!
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    If I read this piece right, it's saying that even when the people of Europe agree with Britain's positions, they won't agree to adopt them because they dislike us, and it's too late to make them like us (and in any case domestically impossible to take the action to make them like us). That would depress me if as 18 months ago I still thought being In was the best option, but no, it's about right. Even when we agree, we treat each other like sh*t - that's not healthy moving forward.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/11930443/David-Camerons-problem-Britain-is-seen-as-the-nasty-country-in-Europe.html
  • Options
    edited October 2015

But the charter (stunt though it may be) doesn't call for spending cuts. It calls for the state to run a surplus during normal times. Given our current debt (and the fact that we went into a crash with a lot of debt), that doesn't look too stupid, and clearly has some measure of electoral support, given the result on 7 May.

How is that going to work in practice, though?

Presumably it will be like the US debt ceiling - if there's a deficit, it will trigger huge automatic across-the-board cuts.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I'm not a fan of Jean-Claude Juncker but what else could he say to the European Parliament other than he thinks that Britain needs the EU and the EU needs Britain? If he is to keep the show on the road, he needs to make the case that both Britain and the European Parliament need to compromise at a time when neither is particularly inclined to do so.
  • Options

Rebelling because you want a policy position further to the left is a world away from rebelling because you agree with the Tories.

How so? Even stopped clocks are right sometimes, that the parties steal policies from one another at times show they know the other side are right sometimes, and sometimes elements within one party will think the other side have got it right. Annoying for leaders, but hardly unusual behaviour surely?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2015
    Pulpstar said:

Revenue £4 billion
    General overheads £600 M

Other stuff

etc...

Change in equity -1.3Bn.

Equity at yr End -£66 M.

The new MD (Rupert Soames, a grandson of Winston Churchill and a very well respected figure) is doing the standard thing of writing off vast amounts of historic problems in one go.

It's at least possible that Serco are over the worst. There's potentially a good solid business there, but there's a lot of historical baggage to clear out

PS I'm not suggesting investing in them, at least not yet.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''If I read this piece right, it's saying that even when the people of Europe agree with Britain's positions, they won't agree to adopt them because they dislike us.''

Does the article say WHY they dislike us????
  • Options
    Who is rebelling then, do they not realise it's tottally worse to rebel on this one. McDonnell fell into the trap but the now Labour rebels seem to be jumping in gleefully afterwards.
  • Options
    taffys said:

''If I read this piece right, it's saying that even when the people of Europe agree with Britain's positions, they won't agree to adopt them because they dislike us.''

We're nasty. Didn't take migrants, ask for things all the time, I think.

Honestly, they and we may not realise how much we agree on things, because we perceive ourselves certain ways - isn't it the case the Scots and rUK opinion is really not all that different on most issues, but the perception is there is a big gap on many issues? Same thing. Britain is the selfish country, don't trust their ideas are good for all, even if it matches opinion. I'm sure an idea proposed by the EU here would gain less traction than from the government, due to popularity (not that our governments are popular, but they are more so than the EU I'd have thought).
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Danny565 said:

Presumably it will be like the US debt ceiling - if there's a deficit, it will trigger huge automatic across-the-board cuts.
    Well in practice the government can ignore or repeal it: that's the thing about our centralised execulegislature. So why are Labour getting their knickers in such a twist about it now? It's essentially virtue signalling [on both sides of the argument, to be fair].
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Revenue £4 billion
    General overheads £600 M

Other stuff

etc...

Change in equity -1.3Bn.

Equity at yr End -£66 M.

The new MD (Rupert Soames, a grandson of Winston Churchill and a very well respected figure) is doing the standard thing of writing off vast amounts of historic problems in one go.

It's at least possible that Serco are over the worst. There's potentially a good solid business there, but there's a lot of historical baggage to clear out

PS I'm not suggesting investing in them, at least not yet.
    It looks like they had an awful 2014 combined with a great work of fiction for their 2013 balance sheet :)
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Well in practice the government can ignore or repeal it: that's the thing about our centralised execulegislature. So why are Labour getting their knickers in such a twist about it now? It's essentially virtue signalling [on both sides of the argument, to be fair].
    But if the Tories are in power, they wouldn't want to ignore it - so Labour rebels are giving the Tories a blank cheque to enact any cuts they want in future if there happens to be a deficit.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

But if the Tories are in power, they wouldn't want to ignore it - so Labour rebels are giving the Tories a blank cheque to enact any cuts they want in future if there happens to be a deficit.

You are arguing exactly what Osborne wants Labour to argue - i.e. that they don't care about the deficit, do intend to splurge again, and can't therefore be trusted with the economy. Of course all that is true, but Osborne is succeeding in forcing Labour to admit it.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

It doesn't really make much sense to rebel against it if you are Labour, except as a means to declare open war on Corbyn.

On this basis I expect Woodcock; Gapes; Streeting; Danczuk; Kendall; Umunna? to all vote with the Gov't.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

I'm not a fan of Jean-Claude Juncker but what else could he say to the European Parliament other than he thinks that Britain needs the EU and the EU needs Britain? If he is to keep the show on the road, he needs to make the case that both Britain and the European Parliament need to compromise at a time when neither is particularly inclined to do so.

I think the problem is that he allegedly said Britain DIDN'T need the EU.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Not at all, deficits can be closed by additional taxation. Each case can be opposed on its merits.

In any case, the Tories do have something akin to a blank cheque at the moment. Labour moving ever further away from fiscal credibility is only going to extend that.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,617
    JEO said:
    I saw that episode - a very interesting programme. It sounds like sci-fi to control the weather, but actually the technology is quite old.
  • Options
    It's an economic/political nonsense, but a tremendously clever political trap !!

Some might call it genius.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

Danny565 said:

You are arguing exactly what Osborne wants Labour to argue - i.e. that they don't care about the deficit, do intend to splurge again, and can't therefore be trusted with the economy. Of course all that is true, but Osborne is succeeding in forcing Labour to admit it.
    An argument which, for all their hubris, barely won the Tories this year's election, even with a far better frontman than they'll have in 2020. But keep thinking Joe Public is an ultra-right-wing austerity-fetishist who thinks a surplus is more important than good public services if you want.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    "We need Britain. Personally I don’t think Britain needs the European Union."

Alors, au revoir monsieur
  • Options
    John Rentoul ‏@JohnRentoul

From my soundings, a lot of Labour MPs intend to ignore whips' instructions and abstain, either in person or not.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

taffys said:

Honestly, they and we may not realise how much we agree on things, because we perceive ourselves certain ways - isn't it the case the Scots and rUK opinion is really not all that different on most issues, but the perception is there is a big gap on many issues? Same thing. Britain is the selfish country, don't trust their ideas are good for all, even if it matches opinion. I'm sure an idea proposed by the EU here would gain less traction than from the government, due to popularity (not that our governments are popular, but they are more so than the EU I'd have thought).
    On the specifics of the migrant crisis, I make Brussels right - Britain should have accepted far more migrants than it has done. On the more general principle, however, they are 100% crashingly wrong. Britain has taken one for the team on numerous occasions (most recently with the "political agreement not a legal agreement" justification for ratting on the commitment given in relation to the EFSM). A touch of humility on the European side of negotiations and a recognition that Brussels has been every bit as capable of acting in bad faith as London would be a very healthy start.
  • Options
    @JohnRentoul: From my soundings, a lot of Labour MPs intend to ignore whips' instructions and abstain, either in person or not. https://t.co/RPq9G2Dza5
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    DT
    Our Chief Political Correspondent reports that Laura Alvarez, Jeremy Corbyn’s wife, has turned down an invitation from the Queen to next week’s state banquet in honour of Chinese president Xi Jinping.

Mr Corbyn’s spokesman said on Wednesday that she had declined to attend but did not say why.
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171

Danny565..Does Labour really represent anyone these days ..apart from themselves..most Labour run and controlled areas I visit on regular basis look as tho they are still stuck in the 50s The best dressed man in Bolsover is Skinner..

You are so right, so many permanently controlled labour areas seem so run down, yet people in the area keep voting labour, despite the Councils abject failure on improving the area. It is a very odd feature of British politics.
  • Options

From my soundings, a lot of Labour MPs intend to ignore whips' instructions and abstain, either in person or not.

At this stage of the game, it matters not if the number of rebellious MPs is 30, 50 or more. Every MP that abstains or rebels from now on will be tarred as an anti-Corbynite splitter…
  • Options

At this stage of the game, it matters not if the number of rebellious MPs is 30, 50 or more. Every MP that abstains or rebels from now on will be tarred as an anti-Corbynite splitter…
    You mean a Tory scum, don't you?
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    A touch of humility on the European side of negotiations

Goodness you really do live in a fantasy world
  • Options
    What time is this vote due?
  • Options

Worse, they'll get a taste for it.
  • Options
    RobD said:

You mean a Tory scum, don't you?
    It’s hard to keep up with the latest epithet, but I believe 'Red Tory Scum' is still in usage.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
  • Options
    antifrank said:

kle4 said:

taffys said:

On the specifics of the migrant crisis, I make Brussels right - Britain should have accepted far more migrants than it has done. On the more general principle, however, they are 100% crashingly wrong. Britain has taken one for the team on numerous occasions (most recently with the "political agreement not a legal agreement" justification for ratting on the commitment given in relation to the EFSM). A touch of humility on the European side of negotiations and a recognition that Brussels has been every bit as capable of acting in bad faith as London would be a very healthy start.
    Unless we take hundreds of thousands of migrants, we're not really going to affect the situation. Given that is clearly ridiculous, we need to look at solutions that don't involve trying to relocate huge swathes of the Syrian population to Europe. Taking some number between what we have already taking and hundreds of thousands isn't good policy. It's just virtue signalling.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

kle4 said:

taffys said:

Agreed. The lack of it turned me against them not that long ago.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

An argument which, for all their hubris, barely won the Tories this year's election, even with a far better frontman than they'll have in 2020. But keep thinking Joe Public is an ultra-right-wing austerity-fetishist who thinks a surplus is more important than good public services if you want.
    In fairness Labour had a far better front man than they are likely to have the next time out too.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,707
    JEO said:

antifrank said:

kle4 said:

taffys said:

Unless we take hundreds of thousands of migrants, we're not really going to affect the situation. Given that is clearly ridiculous, we need to look at solutions that don't involve trying to relocate huge swathes of the Syrian population to Europe. Taking some number between what we have already taking and hundreds of thousands isn't good policy. It's just virtue signalling.
    I don't see any reason why we should allow this country's immigration policy to be made in Berlin, and it would be incendiary if it was.
  • Options
    'Every MP that abstains or rebels from now on will be tarred as an anti-Corbynite splitter…'

They aren't exactly hiding it ;p.

• Options
    antifrank said:

kle4 said:

taffys said:

As I have said I dither from day to day about this one but if I was to choose one reason for voting out it would be the arrogant and patronising manner of the typical Euro bureaucrat. It is just infuriating. It makes Labour's belief in its inherent moral superiority look like a passing fancy.
  • Options
    JEO said:

antifrank said:

kle4 said:

taffys said:

Can we introduce a fines system for the phrase "virtue signalling"? It was never very useful and has now degenerated into meaning "action that I don't agree with or think will be effective".

Showing willing to help friends in times of crisis is never a bad thing to do. Whether we like it or not (and we don't), hundreds of thousands have already descended on Europe. We can wash our hands of these migrants and leave others to sink under their weight. Or we can help a bit more.

We should help other EU countries a bit more. It's unsurprising that shrugging our shoulders, pointing to our island status and turning our backs on the problem has not made us popular.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

In fairness Labour had a far better front man than they are likely to have the next time out too.
    I have many criticisms of Corbyn, but I think it's pushing it to describe Ed as a *far* better frontman than anyone :p

But I genuinely don't think Corbyn will be leader going into 2020.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

And see, this is where deselections are perfectly reasonable in my view. It's one thing to disagree with the leadership and argue for an alternative. It's quite another to actively allow the Tories to pass huge spending cuts.
    I still don't see how it is any different to being a serial rebel in the last parliament - doesn't any rebellion help your opponents to some degree. Fundamentally I'm having a problem seeing why rebels should be deselected now if they weren't before, particularly if they argue they are voting in accordance with the platform they were elected under (truthfully or otherwise), and so even if they are annoyances to the leadership, they are not betraying the party or their constituents.
    I'm not sure it's possible to apply logic to anything that's going on in the PLP at present. Everything seems to be done on a whim.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

DavidL said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

I have many criticisms of Corbyn, but I think it's pushing it to describe Ed as a *far* better frontman than anyone :p

But I genuinely don't think Corbyn will be leader going into 2020.
    No, I don't either but if he were...
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    JEO said:

"Part of the problem is the four elections under Blair and Brown. Labour parties weren’t allowed to select the candidates they wanted, they had to choose from an approved list, which shifted the Parliamentary Labour Party massively to the right." He praised Ed Miliband for "abolishing the Blairite pre-vetting rule" and said "parties are now free to select the candidate they want".

So not only has Miliband handed control of the leadership appointment to the far left, he's handed control of the MP selections too.

I don't know what New Labour types can do here. The membership is now thoroughly left wing, and it's also massive, meaning it will be very hard for new members to moderate it. The internet and social media networks increase the bubble effect, where all setbacks get explained away, so these people are unlikely to be persuaded round after an election loss or two. And these people will control leadership and MP appointments for the next 10-15 years.

I know. It's fantastic isn't it?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The nurse story with ebola is really alarming. Several west African countries have now been declared ebola free. If there is a real risk of a recurrence in a patient who has recovered that seems a complete nonsense. Given the number of infections there unless she has been incredibly unlucky this is going to be chronic and recurring for the foreseeable future.

An awful shock for her of course but there must also be some incredibly worried "acquaintances" given all of the fanfare over "it's beaten".
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    I am happy with the numbers of migrants that we have promised to take..no more please...I am also happy and totally agree with the massive amount of money we provide for the refugee camps..some people there will be able to have a meal tonight because we paid for it..
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@georgeeaton: Exclusive: Frank Field calls for Labour MPs to stand as "independent Labour" if deselected http://t.co/Fsz5S9WTc4

No Labour MP will defect to the Tories. It's as rare as hen's teeth: Labour is tribal and it's about collectivism. Even if they wanted to, they won't do so, because they know it will play straight into Corbyn's hands.

The ones to look out for are the independent minded ones likely to retire in GE2020 - or have declared an intent already to do so.

They won't give a crap. They can either stand as 'independent Labour' for the rest of the parliament - arguing they are being true to the platform they were elected on, thus not needing a by-election - or, if they want to make a real bang, and I stress this is unlikely, defect to the Liberal Democrats and take a shadow portfolio to piss off Corbyn and get airtime for a moderate left case.

In the case of the House of Lords, they will do an Adonis and go crossbench, possibly advising the government.

Donors are the only ones who I think may actively switch to the Tories.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,617
    antifrank said:

JEO said:

antifrank said:

kle4 said:

taffys said:

Can we introduce a fines system for the phrase "virtue signalling"? It was never very useful and has now degenerated into meaning "action that I don't agree with or think will be effective".

Showing willing to help friends in times of crisis is never a bad thing to do. Whether we like it or not (and we don't), hundreds of thousands have already descended on Europe. We can wash our hands of these migrants and leave others to sink under their weight. Or we can help a bit more.

We should help other EU countries a bit more. It's unsurprising that shrugging our shoulders, pointing to our island status and turning our backs on the problem has not made us popular.
    We didn't say they could come here. You can't make grandiose statements that trigger a human tsunami and then expect everyone else to pick up the peices.
  • Options

Maybe it's a mark of respect.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Are wives fair game this week? It's hard to keep up.

DT

Our Chief Political Correspondent reports that Laura Alvarez, Jeremy Corbyn’s wife, has turned down an invitation from the Queen to next week’s state banquet in honour of Chinese president Xi Jinping.

Mr Corbyn’s spokesman said on Wednesday that she had declined to attend but did not say why.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited October 2015
    antifrank said:

JEO said:

antifrank said:

kle4 said:

taffys said:

Honestly, they and we may not realise how much we agree on things, because we perceive ourselves certain ways - isn't it the case the Scots and rUK opinion is really not all that different on most issues, but the perception is there is a big gap on many issues? Same thing. Britain is the selfish country, don't trust their ideas are good for all, even if it matches opinion.

Countries have interests; they're not taking part in popularity contests. Merkel screwed up; it's her problem.

I might be more persuaded if I could recall, or find, a single instance where our willingness to compromise actually redounded to our benefit.
  • Options

DT

Reporting one turned down an invitation to a same dinner isn't the same as asking why, if China was so good, they moved to the UK.
  • Options
    dyingswandyingswan Posts: 189
    Next weeks Hansard.
    Jeremy Corbyn (Islington North) (Lab) Mrs Trellis of North Wales writes-is there anything the Prime Minister can do for her bunions.
    The Prime Minister (Mr David Cameron ) Im sorry, I haven't a clue
  • Options
    Mr. JEO, Out should get that footage for campaign videos.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited October 2015

DavidL said:

An awful shock for her of course but there must also be some incredibly worried "acquaintances" given all of the fanfare over "it's beaten".
    I wonder how many other carriers of the 'dormant' virus there are, both in Africa and potentially, over here or elsewhere in Europe. Ebola in Calais would liven things up.
  • Options
    @paulwaugh: Corbynista backlash on @jreedmp timeline (his thought crime: said he'd abstain tonight).
    Makes @MikeGapes look mild
  • Options
    antifrank said:

I'm using "virtue signalling" here to mean exactly what it means: making a statement about how decent a person you are rather than addressing the problem. That's exactly what is happening here. We'd have to take hundreds of thousands to make a dent in the figures, and the very act of taking hundreds of thousands would cause hundreds of thousands more to come. So your problem of "helping the rest of Europe deal with these migrants" would be made worst by this proposed solution.

Of course we should help other EU countries a bit more. We should do that by funding the refugee camps properly so they're not such squalid holes, by policing the Mediterranean to stop crossings, by investigating and arresting people traffickers, and by stabilising Syria as best we can.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,012

JEO said:

antifrank said:

kle4 said:

taffys said:

I don't see any reason why we should allow this country's immigration policy to be made in Berlin, and it would be incendiary if it was.
    Given the rate at which German public opinion is turning, I doubt if Merkel is even carrying her own people with her.
  • Options
    @krishgm: Can't help but wonder if Osborne and Cameron are trying to help Corbyn by urging Labour MPs to rebel?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771
    antifrank said:

JEO said:

antifrank said:

kle4 said:

taffys said:

Unless we take hundreds It's just virtue signalling.

hmmm

nobody objects to helping our friends, however what might be more difficult is when our firend has taken a problem and made it worse despite advice to the contrary and likewise ignored the real and more effective efforts we have made to solve a common problem.

sometimes you just have to let people stew in their own juices before they come to their senses.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

JEO said:

antifrank said:

kle4 said:

taffys said:

Germany's fault, Germany's mess and Germany's problem. Let them clear it up.

Frankly, I don't care if it makes us unpopular. I don't blame people for their problems or mistakes, but I do expect them to pay for them.

That's how we learn.
  • Options
    Mr. D, I agree, but would add that a wife of a politician declining to attend an official function isn't something that should be examined, beyond being noted.

I don't think wives should be political animals (such as Mrs Brown became), but the natural extension of that is that privacy ought to be afforded to them.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    antifrank said:

JEO said:

antifrank said:

kle4 said:

taffys said:

Except we offered our advice at every stage, and it was rejected. We warned them of the consequences and they chose to go ahead. I don't see why we shoulkd bail them out.
  • Options
    RobD said:

DT

Reporting one turned down an invitation to a same dinner isn't the same as asking why, if China was so good, they moved to the UK.

Even so, I don't see why I needed to know one way or the other.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

DT

If the papers didn't report this sort of guff, they would be quite empty ;)
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

DT

They could run some polling...
  • Options

Mr. D, I agree, but would add that a wife of a politician declining to attend an official function isn't something that should be examined, beyond being noted.

I don't think wives should be political animals (such as Mrs Brown became), but the natural extension of that is that privacy ought to be afforded to them.

Absolutely Mr Dancer.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

DT

They could run some polling...

That didn't work out too well for the last five years. Good for us though, I suppose.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

DT

She has responsibilities as LOTO's wife.

China will be very happy to take her absence as a mortal insult if it in their interest to do so.

Sometimes you have to grit your teeth and do things you would rather not.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Can we introduce a fines system for the phrase "virtue signalling"?

Meh, you don't have any means of collecting fines. All you're doing is loudly proclaiming that you don't like the phrase ;-)
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,012
    Charles said:

antifrank said:

JEO said:

antifrank said:

kle4 said:

taffys said:

Except we offered our advice at every stage, and it was rejected. We warned them of the consequences and they chose to go ahead. I don't see why we shoulkd bail them out.
    Nothing makes one more unpopular than being proved right.

I've occasionally found myself being hated by a client, for advising them not to sign an agreement, or lease, which would be hugely detrimental to them. The reason is, because I've destroyed their dreams.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited October 2015
    What I take virtual signalling to mean is when someone says something like we should take more migrants when they themselves would never do anything personally to assist with that aim such as taking a migrant in as a lodger in their own home. They want to feel good but without actually doing anything concrete about it.
    antifrank said:

JEO said:

antifrank said:

kle4 said:

taffys said:

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,379
    antifrank said:

Like. "I cannot prevent a tragedy altogether so I shall do nothing to alleviate it" has always been a disreputable argument. Yes, I understand that we help with funds for camps near the border. But there is a specific problem with the refugees already in Europe. Do we really feel that we shouldn't help deal with their cases?