Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Volkswagen – the Lance Armstrong of the global auto-mobile

Comments

• Options

Charles said:

The news cycle this week is piggate, refugees/migrants and VW catastrophe. Isnt it the Lib Dems conference this week but I don't see it covered on the media - shame really!!!

A couple of people have referred to "Mr Whippy". I didn't see anything - wassup?
    Farron has proposed stopping vehicles from running their engines while parked. ...
    Running an engine unnecessarily whilst stationary always used to be an offence in law. Was it ever made legal and if not has anyone pointed that out to Farron?
    To be fair it was not Farron who made this pledge. It was a resolution passed by the Lib Dem conference. Farron was on the radio yesterday trying to argue it was not going to be Lib Dem policy.

To clarify the resolution only applied to diesel engines but it does cover any and all - including ice cream vans which have to have their engine running and also trains at stations or waiting at red lights. I am not sure how many diesel trains there still are but I am also not sure the train operators will be impressed by the idea the trains have to shut down every time they stop moving. Maybe JJ can explain if this is a problem or not as I don't know the technicalities.
  • Options

On another note, I spent a very interesting few hours at the ARM campus in Cambridge today. What an excellent company. It deserves a lot more recognition than it gets.

Ah, glad you enjoyed it. It's rather a magical place.

Some truly great engineers work there. And yes, they deserve more recognition as one of Britain's most influential companies.

Yep, the engineers are superb and they are recruiting from the very top tier of US companies now they were telling me. Given the wages paid at those places that is pretty amazing. But ARM's reputation makes it competitive. They are going to be doing very big things over the coming years if half of what I heard comes off. Convergence is working very nicely for them.

• Options

On another note, I spent a very interesting few hours at the ARM campus in Cambridge today. What an excellent company. It deserves a lot more recognition than it gets.

It's a superb company, and my best ever investment. When ARM went public in 1998, I couldn't believe how low the valuation was (from memory, about £250m). No matter how I did the sums, I couldn't see how it could be worth less than about ten times as much. And the thing was that the future success of the company was basically already in the bag: anyone who read the technical press at the time would have seen that the entire industry was moving to adapt ARM technology for portable devices and for many other applications. It was almost impossible for it not to succeed hugely. I eventually sold my investment for thirty times what I'd paid for it.
    Join the club, although as I didn't need to buy all of my shares, I probably made a near-infinite profit on those particular tranches ...

Talking of which, I really need to do some work to keep current on the latest developments.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Charles said:

surbiton said:

Dair said:

Drug patents last for 20 years.

How can a 62 year old drug still have rights to sell other than (potentially) branding?
    Congratulations to those Americans who think privatised medicine is good for them.
    It happens in the UK as well. Google Pfizer and Flynn if you want. So it's not a factor of privatised medicine.

I haven't read up on this specific case, but it is a dark underbelly of the industry that these price gougers exist. It's not good for the patients, it's not good for the payors and it's not good for the industry as a whole. R&D is hideously expensive and risky, so you do need high prices on innovative drugs to fund it, but 20 years is quite long enough to generate returns: I'm fine with aggressive generics and fortunately payors are now wise to many of the old tricks (me-toos, reformulations, etc). Those patent extensions (paediatric extension, orphans, spc, data exclusivity) all exist for a reason & are an acceptable trade off.

But gougers should be shot at dawn

(I actually spent much of the morning gossiping with a former members of the senior leadership team at GSK and he pretty much agreed with the above)
    You maybe fine with aggressive generics, Mr. Charles, but I think there is a very large and very under reported problem with quality control with medicines from at least some. One day the excrement will hit the fan and there will be a great wailing and gnashing of teeth the like of which we have not seen for many a year.
    Quality control is absolutely an issue - although, TBF, most of the Western companies are pretty good. The Indians, on the other hand...
    Sorry, Mr. Charles, but if quality control is known to be an issue then why are drugs still being sourced from India? If the NHS is buying medicines that they do not know are effective, or even safe, then there would seem to be culpable recklessness in their procurement policies.
    The FDA shut down 10 or 12 factories in india a month or so ago. And Ranbaxy's issues are legendary.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    Nice down day on European and US stockmarkets today. Getting this final shift of capital into the government bond markets that is necessary for the grand turn at the beginning of October in just 9 days time now. A great buying opportunity coming up on US stocks in my opinion.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Today the EU (Merkel) just rewrote the rules on QMV... Countries that voted against the quotas will now be obliged to take them but this is as close to an unprecedented decision in the EU when nation states are involved so not normally under a QMV process. This is Merkel trying to save her ass, no ifs no buts. Clusterfucken.

It's has been show only 1 in 5 are from Syria - published by EU.

How will these countries who voted against now react given Merkel started the rush to the EU.

BOO

Not sure how you can say the EU rewrote the rules on QMV. The measure was passed by QMV as there was not a sufficiently large blocking vote. Like you I am a BOO but the lesson from today is that the current rules allow a majority of countries to impose decisions on a minority. That has been the way ever since Lisbon.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

JEO said:

I see the EU has just had a majority vote to tell countries like Czech Republic that they're being allocated a quota of the migrants, whether they like it or not.

The quotas are voluntary according to the EU spokesperson on 5live.
    Nope, they ain't ... Merkel decides dependent on how deep a hole she dug herself. It's deep.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited September 2015

Charles said:

The news cycle this week is piggate, refugees/migrants and VW catastrophe. Isnt it the Lib Dems conference this week but I don't see it covered on the media - shame really!!!

A couple of people have referred to "Mr Whippy". I didn't see anything - wassup?
    Farron has proposed stopping vehicles from running their engines while parked. ...
    Running an engine unnecessarily whilst stationary always used to be an offence in law. Was it ever made legal and if not has anyone pointed that out to Farron?
    To be fair it was not Farron who made this pledge. It was a resolution passed by the Lib Dem conference. Farron was on the radio yesterday trying to argue it was not going to be Lib Dem policy.

To clarify the resolution only applied to diesel engines but it does cover any and all - including ice cream vans which have to have their engine running and also trains at stations or waiting at red lights. I am not sure how many diesel trains there still are but I am also not sure the train operators will be impressed by the idea the trains have to shut down every time they stop moving. Maybe JJ can explain if this is a problem or not as I don't know the technicalities.
    Edited and removed
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,212

Charles said:

If people had Toyota hybrids this is never a problem.
    You got a part time job with Toyota Mike.
  • Options
    Mr. Tyndall, indeed. The EU's an undemocratic monstrosity.

Mr. Speedy, I'm afraid my knowledge of the Holy Roman Empire is rather limited, given its recency.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    Moses_ said:

JEO said:

I see the EU has just had a majority vote to tell countries like Czech Republic that they're being allocated a quota of the migrants, whether they like it or not.

The quotas are voluntary according to the EU spokesperson on 5live.
    Nope, they ain't ... Merkel decides dependent on how deep a hole she dug herself. It's deep.
    Indeed. The BBC is reporting them as compulsory.
  • Options

JEO said:

Since Isabel Oakeshott is happy to write about unsubstantiated allegations about the Prime MInister, surely this is open season for everyone else to do the same in kind to Ms Oakeshott.

If they are indemnified they can. If not, they need to be very careful.

What does indemnified mean here?

Against legal action. So if Oakshott sues the writer will not have to find the costs of defence or the damages if Oakshott wins.

All should refer to Cyclefree's comments last night.
    At day's end it costs and it's not worth it. Mrs Moses haven't even heard of it so hey ho way yo go.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,826

It's a superb company, and my best ever investment. When ARM went public in 1998, I couldn't believe how low the valuation was (from memory, about £250m). No matter how I did the sums, I couldn't see how it could be worth less than about ten times as much. And the thing was that the future success of the company was basically already in the bag: anyone who read the technical press at the time would have seen that the entire industry was moving to adapt ARM technology for portable devices and for many other applications. It was almost impossible for it not to succeed hugely. I eventually sold my shares for thirty times what I'd paid for them.
    Well done. I looked long and hard at the time and never invested. I have some financial expertise, and some computing expertise. Didn't see it though :)

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,986
    edited September 2015

It's a superb company, and my best ever investment. When ARM went public in 1998, I couldn't believe how low the valuation was (from memory, about £250m). No matter how I did the sums, I couldn't see how it could be worth less than about ten times as much. And the thing was that the future success of the company was basically already in the bag: anyone who read the technical press at the time would have seen that the entire industry was moving to adapt ARM technology for portable devices and for many other applications. It was almost impossible for it not to succeed hugely. I eventually sold my shares for thirty times what I'd paid for them.

Excellent stuff - congratulations. Due reward for backing a world class British company. For what it's worth I think they may be about to go again. The way the tech market is developing seems to be working very much in ARM's favour. They have such a great approach to building partnerships. That, the quality of what they develop and their pricing make it hard for competitors to emerge. The management is also top class.

• Options
    http://news.yahoo.com/syrians-see-impostors-interlopers-among-migrants-around-them-194308424.html

Love brought Nizar Shoukry from his native Syria to Croatia and eventually a dental practice in the border town of Tovarnik. Thirty years later, war is bringing his countrymen, in a chaotic, desperate tide flowing past Shoukry’s door en route to Germany and a promise of asylum.

But the 50-year-old dentist – now an informal liaison between police and refugees – says his sees impostors among them.

“I see so many people from Africa, Afghanistan, Pakistan saying they come from Syria and many do not speak Arabic at all,” he said in his adopted Croatian.
  • Options
    From BBC Politics

COLD COMFORT FOR THE UNIONISTS

"A poll averaging five recent Scottish opinion polls suggests the Conservatives are on about 14% in constituency voting intentions for the Holyrood elections, which will be held in May next year.
    Labour's a bit higher on 22% but way behind the SNP on 54%. The gap between these top two parties is a bit narrower for the regional list vote.
    What have the polls been saying?
    Voting system breakdown Tory Labour Lib Dem SNP Green
    Constituency 14% 22% 6% 54% 5%
    Regional 14% 21% 6% 47% 7%

Average percentage of five polls - conducted by TNS BMRB, Ipsos MORI, Panelbase, Survation and YouGov - between 12 August and 10 September, 2015."
  • Options

Some truly great engineers work there. And yes, they deserve more recognition as one of Britain's most influential companies.

Yep, the engineers are superb and they are recruiting from the very top tier of US companies now they were telling me. Given the wages paid at those places that is pretty amazing. But ARM's reputation makes it competitive. They are going to be doing very big things over the coming years if half of what I heard comes off. Convergence is working very nicely for them.

The only problem might be Intel's drive towards more efficient x86 chips. But they'll never have the utter configurability that ARM chips give licencees. You don't want a WiFi module? Don't put one on. You want a certain type of GPU? Add it.

Intel simply cannot compete with that.

big.LITTLE is also a lovely idea.

My only criticism of ARM is that, according to some, they saved Apple in the 1990s. ;)
  • Options
    Mr. JEO, seems about 20% are actually Syrian, but Merkel's moronic diktat means every man and his cat are unsurprisingly taking advantage of her stupidity and claiming they're Syrian, because being Syrian means acceptance in Germany.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited September 2015

Mr. Tyndall, indeed. The EU's an undemocratic monstrosity.

Mr. Speedy, I'm afraid my knowledge of the Holy Roman Empire is rather limited, given its recency.

This will give you a good start to know better about that mess, just keep in mind that it comprised of 360 entities from Kingdoms to small vicarages, some of which had the right to vote for the who the Emperor would be:
    http://www.heraldica.org/topics/national/hre.htm

It's very EU in it's function, complexity and of course results, it even had it's own Jean Claude Junckers ruling it in the 15th century.
  • Options

Excellent stuff - congratulations. Due reward for backing a world class British company. For what it's worth I think they may be about to go again. The way the tech market is developing seems to be working very much in ARM's favour. They have such a great approach to building partnerships. That, the quality of what they develop and their pricing make it hard for competitors to emerge. The management I also top class.

Competitors have tried to challenge them, but in the end it's just much easier to license ARM technology than develop it yourself, even if you are Intel or TI. ARM's big barrier to competition is the so-called 'eco-system', i.e. the entire set of industry partners who develop hardware and software which works with ARM cores; any competitor would have to try to reproduce all that, which is really not practicable. That was basically why I invested, and it's still true.
  • Options

Just watched Isabel Oakshott's Newsnight interview. My, doesn't she looked pleased with herself. Continually talked over Anthony Sheldon, as she did with Nick Ferrari this morning on LBC (which, takes some doing). I thought both Maitlin and Ferrari were quite easy on her, given that she has completely trashed the reputation of a serving prime minister, based on something, which could be completely untrue.

If the PM had any second thoughts about not retiring before the next GE, then I suspect Samantha Cameron, having seen her husband and family dragged through the gutter has firmly put her four-inch heels through that idea. Is mother is also still alive, I believe?

They got through the Red Rag scandal. If anything this latest mess is much, much tamer than McBride and Draper's thoroughly nasty scheme, which made insinuations about many things, including their recently-deceased son.

Mind you, they were also planning lies about Osborne as well, including the mental health of his wife, and they appear to have got through it well enough.

Labour is truly the nasty party.

As an aside, I'm wondering if this latest scandal is just based on a rumour dating from the Red Rag days. ISTR that McBride was going to allege that there were secret tapes between Osborne and a prostitute. It's not too far to go from that to Cameron putting his honourable member into a dead pig's mouth, for which there's a photograph somewhere in existence, which someone has allegedly seen.

Both involve something that is currently rumoured or known - Osborne and Rowe, and Cameron and Bullingdon, and extend it.
    It seems to me that the people who hang around politics/politicians, i.e. media, millionaires, billionaires and the like, or far worse than any politician.

Forgot to add in my piece that Lord Ashcroft and Tom Watson "are good friends" - just sayin!
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

So ever closer Union means you take what you're given

The problem with the EU is that when you want to rid yourself of an unpleasant situation you are offered an equally unpleasant alternative. They call it "negotiation".
    If you are not happy with that they will ensure that votes are taken as many times as necessary to come to the result they want.

• Options

Excellent stuff - congratulations. Due reward for backing a world class British company. For what it's worth I think they may be about to go again. The way the tech market is developing seems to be working very much in ARM's favour. They have such a great approach to building partnerships. That, the quality of what they develop and their pricing make it hard for competitors to emerge. The management is also top class.
    Robin Saxby (the person who led ARM after its split from Acorn and helped devise the business model) has already been knighted, but he should really get some other form of official recognition as well.
  • Options
    Mr. Speedy, alas, I must away. I shall endeavour to learn a little about this matter later, even though it's practically current events.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,826

The only problem might be Intel's drive towards more efficient x86 chips. But they'll never have the utter configurability that ARM chips give licencees. You don't want a WiFi module? Don't put one on. You want a certain type of GPU? Add it.

My only criticism of ARM is that, according to some, they saved Apple in the 1990s. ;)
    Intel have to deal with backwards compatibility. I think their original chip was called z80, and they're still working with that. Motorola had a competing architecture - '68k' or some such. I remember thinking that Motorola had a superior chip - however that was almost certainly because I could program in their existing 6502 code (as used in the Apple II)

Now F# seems to be sexy, machine learning seems to be sexy, and all sorts of other stuff. I can't spot a clear investment in this sort of thing currently.
  • Options

Has any politician so rapidly descended from universal respect to tomfoolery as quickly as Merkel?

If you forget about the 'universal' element, Jim Murphy?

http://tinyurl.com/q24mmhc
  • Options

Excellent stuff - congratulations. Due reward for backing a world class British company. For what it's worth I think they may be about to go again. The way the tech market is developing seems to be working very much in ARM's favour. They have such a great approach to building partnerships. That, the quality of what they develop and their pricing make it hard for competitors to emerge. The management I also top class.

Competitors have tried to challenge them, but in the end it's just much easier to license ARM technology than develop it yourself, even if you are Intel or TI. ARM's big barrier to competition is the so-called 'eco-system', i.e. the entire set of industry partners who develop hardware and software which works with ARM cores; any competitor would have to try to reproduce all that, which is really not practicable. That was basically why I invested, and it's still true.
    Great call Richard. If only the UK had more companies like them.
  • Options

It's a bit more complex that that. Anybody trying to make a competitor architecture (*) to ARM face significant barriers. Back when it was owned by VLSI/Acorn/Apple there were rumours that a big company wanted to buy them out, but the bids were rejected because ARM's great strength is that they're not allied to any one big player.

Because ARM is a small company (relative to the big industry players) and independent, they can be trusted. If (say) Apple or IBM had purchased them, then they would not have been able to sell licenses, as no-one would have trusted them not to pull the rug sometime in the future. Samsung (for instance) would be hesitant to use a chip design owned by Apple (for another instance).

ARM will not be taken over in the foreseeable future for that reason: their advantage is in their independence and the fact that allows them to treat all their licencees equally.

Any large company wanting to compete with ARM would face that problem. Any small company wanting to do the same thing (Hello, META!) would have to battle the fact that there is a massive amount of ARM knowledge out there, and trust in ARM's skill and independence.

(*) It should be remembered that as a fabless semiconductor company, ARM makes their money from architectures rather than chips. They sell designs which other people can use directly, or adapt. This is very different from Intel's business model.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,384
    edited September 2015
    scotslass said:

From BBC Politics

COLD COMFORT FOR THE UNIONISTS

"A poll averaging five recent Scottish opinion polls suggests the Conservatives are on about 14% in constituency voting intentions for the Holyrood elections, which will be held in May next year.
    Labour's a bit higher on 22% but way behind the SNP on 54%. The gap between these top two parties is a bit narrower for the regional list vote.
    What have the polls been saying?
    Voting system breakdown Tory Labour Lib Dem SNP Green
    Constituency 14% 22% 6% 54% 5%
    Regional 14% 21% 6% 47% 7%

Average percentage of five polls - conducted by TNS BMRB, Ipsos MORI, Panelbase, Survation and YouGov - between 12 August and 10 September, 2015."

Christ, don't get HUYFD started again.
  • Options

kle4 said:

scotslass said:

Can anyone explain to me why it is so "out of the question" for Cameron to sue.

His reputation is severely damaged. Indeed he is being held up to international ridicule.

The allegations from Ashcroft and Oakeshott may be badly sourced. not even up to tabloid standards and above all innacurate. So why not take them down a peg or three. Unless of course ......

He's being held up to temporary ridicule, unless something susbtantive comes forward to make it lasting, and it would remain low lying from then on. Sue, and it drags on, fixes itself ever more firmly in the public consciousness, and no doubt some provable other embarrassing matters would come out, not to mention questions and clarifications stated in utter seriousness which would only make matters worse, like to clarify what he was accused of exactly, was his penis erect at the time, and so on and so forth.

It's an amusing diversion, but I cannot see how actively suing improves matters, reputationally - those that believe it won't be dissuaded by legal action.
    How long did Ed's bacon buttie disaster hang about?

Funny thing about pigs!
    there was a photo of the act..... That's the difference.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

On topic my previous audi said it did 30.4mpg and I got around 37 to 38 mpg out of it for the 7 years I had it, being a petrol engine. My current audi diesel says it will do 42.7mpg and I've got 43 to 44 mpg out of it for the last 7 years or so. My driving style and relative type of driving hasn't changed which is basically to go as quick as possible subject to the speed limits that I can get away with whilst maximising fuel efficiency.all sounds rather mathematical doesn't it! In view of the relative mpg differentials I've long thought many motor manufacturers do engage in sharp practice around mpg stats.

Real MPG stats will depend on car use and driver style and weather and road conditions. Maybe even quality of petrol and the state of maintenance of the car. The tests are a standard to judge each model by.
  • Options
    perdix said:

The problem with the EU is that when you want to rid yourself of an unpleasant situation you are offered an equally unpleasant alternative. They call it "negotiation".
    If you are not happy with that they will ensure that votes are taken as many times as necessary to come to the result they want.

The EU has had its halcyon days in the 1990's. Schengen is falling apart quite literally. The euro without a consolidated debt market is badly frayed and will fall apart with the sovereign bond crisis about to get under way. Don't expect the eurocracy in Brussels to go lightly. Is been obvious for a while that they're more interested in preserving their own jobs than having the wider interests of the European people at heart. Had to laugh at Clegg's 2 unions under threat speech this week. That man really is clueless about long term trends and cycles that are rendering his world view totally redundant.
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    Going back to piggate, and I didn't actually read the Mail yesterday, so did they publish an extract of the actual text of the Ashcroft book which sets out the particular allegation, or simply summarise the gist of it that the book will elaborate on? All I saw online was a few words distilling it into a sentence.

The actual words to be published might not live up to the hype generated yesterday - it wouldn't be the first time!
  • Options

https://www.change.org/p/the-labour-party-and-the-rochdale-constituency-offload-simon-danczuk-from-the-labour-party

I see he thinks he is the first victim of the Purge.

Not in favour of a purge but in Danczuk's case I will make an exception

Purges always start like that and then get a life of their own.
    First they came for etc...
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,912
    Moses_ said:

https://www.change.org/p/the-labour-party-and-the-rochdale-constituency-offload-simon-danczuk-from-the-labour-party

First they came for....
    Danczuk the Terrible
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Moses_ said:

Today the EU (Merkel) just rewrote the rules on QMV... Countries that voted against the quotas will now be obliged to take them but this is as close to an unprecedented decision in the EU when nation states are involved so not normally under a QMV process. This is Merkel trying to save her ass, no ifs no buts. Clusterfucken.

It's has been show only 1 in 5 are from Syria - published by EU.

How will these countries who voted against now react given Merkel started the rush to the EU.

BOO

I think they should withdraw from schengen and refuse to implement Germany's decision.
    The only way to defeat the EU is to ignore it's decisions and refuse it's authority over the matter.
    Speedy
    Completely agree. To ignore decisions means an effective end of the EU however the decision made here in effectively "a star chamber" is not acceptable and TBH I am fed up with what Merkel wants

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,228
    @Josias, the highly regarded Berenberg tech team thinks that ARM will get bought by Qualcomm...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,217
    PPP Iowa

GOP

Trump 24% (19%)
    Carson 17% (12%)
    Fiorina 13% (10%)
    Cruz 8% (9%)
    Rubio 8% (6%)
    Bush 6% (11%)
    Huckabee 6% (6%)
    Walker 5% (12%)
    Jindal 4% (2%)
    Paul 4% (3%)
    Kasich 2% (3%)
    Christie 1% (1%)
    Santorum 1% (2%)
    Gilmore 0% (0%)
    Graham 0% (0%)
    Pataki 0% (0%)

Democrats

Clinton 43%
    Sanders 22%
    Biden 17%
    O'Malley 3%
    Webb 3%
    Chafee 2%

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2015/09/trump-still-leads-iowa-clinton-in-good-shape.html
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Intel have to deal with backwards compatibility. I think their original chip was called z80, and they're still working with that. Motorola had a competing architecture - '68k' or some such. I remember thinking that Motorola had a superior chip - however that was almost certainly because I could program in their existing 6502 code (as used in the Apple II)

Now F# seems to be sexy, machine learning seems to be sexy, and all sorts of other stuff. I can't spot a clear investment in this sort of thing currently.
    The Z80 was developed by a company called Zilog. Intel's architecture (from memory) dates back to the 4004, which became the 8008, which became the 8086 which was the start of the x86 architecture which continues to this day. (From memory, might be wrong).

Backwards compatibility is not as important as people think, especially nowadays where the deep, dark depths of chips can be RISC/CISC/VLIW or whatever, and they convert to the interface instructions that poor, underpaid coder slaves trapped in software factories use.

The following is a (for me) interesting video on how the ARM chip came about, including why they accidentally stumbled upon power efficiency, which has been the characteristic that made the company. Four go mad in Cambridge ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jOJl8gRPyQ
  • Options

Moses_ said:

First they came for....
    Danczuk the Terrible
    I still don't have my free owl..... They promised me. Free owl. I wonder is it too much to ask for an owl in metallic?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,217
    edited September 2015
    rcs1000 said:

@Josias, the highly regarded Berenberg tech team thinks that ARM will get bought by Qualcomm...

Ahem. I have to be careful commenting on that for reasons you might just be aware of if you've paid attention ...

But I doubt they will buy it. However I have absolutely no inside information on this.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

PPP Iowa

GOP

Trump 24% (19%)
    Carson 17% (12%)
    Fiorina 13% (10%)
    Cruz 8% (9%)
    Rubio 8% (6%)
    Bush 6% (11%)
    Huckabee 6% (6%)
    Walker 5% (12%)
    Jindal 4% (2%)
    Paul 4% (3%)
    Kasich 2% (3%)
    Christie 1% (1%)
    Santorum 1% (2%)
    Gilmore 0% (0%)
    Graham 0% (0%)
    Pataki 0% (0%)

Democrats

Clinton 43%
    Sanders 22%
    Biden 17%
    O'Malley 3%
    Webb 3%
    Chafee 2%

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2015/09/trump-still-leads-iowa-clinton-in-good-shape.html

Pleasing to see Jeb Bush going backwards despite the GOP establishment and that odious man Boehner backing him. Well they're losing control and thank goodness too. Enjoyed listening to a trump speech where he laid into Obama on climate change. That was great to see!
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

First they came for....
    Danczuk the Terrible
    I still don't have my free owl..... They promised me. Free owl. I wonder is it too much to ask for an owl in metallic?
    Sorry I know this is referred to often on PB but I haven't a clue what it refers to can you help?
  • Options
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,252
    I do wonder whether, given all the VW issues, Merkel will be wanting some favours from other EU states. Hmm? What might they want in return?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Ahem. I have to be careful commenting on that for reasons you might just be aware of if you've paid attention ...

But I doubt they will buy it. However I have absolutely no inside information on this.

Too many competition and anti-trust issues.

• Options

rcs1000 said:

I have no inside information either :-)

Their argument, IIRC, is that:

Qualcomm has $25bn of off-shore cash available, and ARM is just a $18bn company.
    Qualcomm wants to always be the first to have an ARM chip of any generation available
    Qualcomm is consolidating the chip IP space, hence their purchase of CSR and others
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

It would be very, very unlikely to get competition clearance. There are very few potential buyers that could clear the anti-trust hurdles without sacrificing too much of what would make a merger work effectively.

• Options

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

First they came for....
    Danczuk the Terrible
    Sorry I know this is referred to often on PB but I haven't a clue what it refers to can you help?
    http://www.newstatesman.com/media-mole/2014/06/labour-accidentally-tweets-promise-give-everyone-owl
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    edited September 2015
    The 8008 was the processor in the Plessey satchel sized bar code reader and data logger, it is long time ago (a data logger is in the Science Museum as the first microprocessor based product in Europe). I have an idea it had no conditional branches, you created a jump instruction in memory and then jumped to the jump but I may have confused it with the Rockwell PPS.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,190

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

First they came for....
    Danczuk the Terrible
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jun/19/labour-accidentally-offers-everyone-their-own-owl
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

It would be very, very unlikely to get competition clearance. There are very few potential buyers that could clear the anti-trust hurdles without sacrificing too much of what would make a merger work effectively.

Qualcomm does not have its microprocessor architecture, so it would not be removing competition, in the same way that Intel buying ARM would.

Qualcomm would agree to continue to license ARM designs on a FRAND basis
  • Options

I understand that a good chip has to be fried three times to produce the utmost quality. My local chippy does it twice but seems not to achieve any where near the quality that is alluded to in the glossy magazines. I guess the idea is the fry is one after the other rather than as my local does split the fry between evening and lunchtime the following day.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Qualcomm does not have its microprocessor architecture, so it would not be removing competition, in the same way that Intel buying ARM would.

ARM don't license patents, only technology; so FRAND doesn't come into it.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,217
    edited September 2015
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Qualcomm has $25bn of off-shore cash available, and ARM is just a $18bn company.
    Qualcomm wants to always be the first to have an ARM chip of any generation available
    Qualcomm is consolidating the chip IP space, hence their purchase of CSR and others
    But the fact that they'd want access to the first chip of any generation before others would cause the value of their acquisition to crash, as other companies would be wary about using them.

But what do I know ... ;)
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

You can agree to continue to license processor architecture on a FRAND basis.

Separately, aren't ARM's occasional licensing of instruction sets an example of essentially licensing a patent (or technically copyright) work?
  • Options
    perdix said:

Superb

However to explain in EU speak would take a dozen meetings, two dozen committee approvals and three thousand pages of explanation on parchment paper.

• Options

Intel has licensed x86 VHDLs in the past which people have put onto custom silicon alongside their own tech.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

JackW said:

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

I'd guess Ashcroft is the "editor" of the Dave book and that it was his decision as to whether the pig's head should make an appearance. He is a billionaire and can basically do as he wishes as long as it is not criminal.

This is the country that we live in: one where senior government ministers share weekends away with national newspaper editors and senior BBC figures, while immensely rich party donors believe they should be given senior cabinet positions as a result of their donations.

And, in this instance, were roundly denied their expectation.

It should not even be an issue.

And for Dave it palpably wasn't.

But how many immensely rich party donors have ever become Cabinet members as a consequence of their largesse. I'm struggling to think of even one. Perhaps you can help.

PS They would have to be peers as MPs would have worked their way up the greasy pole.
    that's no way to talk about Daniel Kawczynsji
    Sorry, Brookie, that's too profound for me.
    Its OK Mr O it's been a long week for Tories and it's only Tuesday
    Oh, I'm not judgemental or censorious. After all down in deepest Elmbridge...

http://www.surreycomet.co.uk/news/11819802.Complaints_over_elderly_men_in_tennis_skirts_having_Sunday_sex_sessions_in_park/
    I hear that recently a certain lost luggage rail office in the south of England contained some vintage Teddy Tingling items ....

It's a mystery ....

It seems the Piers Gaveston society old boys reunion is causing a bit of a stir. Sounds as if they have added the nob to nobility.
    I couldn't possibly comment on the peccadildos of the nobility.

• Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

But the fact that they'd want access to the first chip of any generation before others would cause the value of their acquisition to crash, as other companies would be wary about using them.

There aren't that many alternative architectures out there... what ever happened to MIPS?
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

First they came for....
    Danczuk the Terrible
    too many tweets make a twit to woo...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

There aren't that many alternative architectures out there... what ever happened to MIPS?
    Bought out by Imagination, who also own the lovely META architecture.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Acquired by Imagination Technologies.

But MIPS was always a load of crock in my experience.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Is MIPS 64-bit?
    Does it have any customers except a few US set top box makers?

Really, whether ARM is owned by Qualcomm or independent, it is a de facto monopoly.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Separately, aren't ARM's occasional licensing of instruction sets an example of essentially licensing a patent (or technically copyright) work?

Instructions would be covered by copyright.

ARM is essentially seen as a neutral player in the market. You could not say the same about Qualcomm or any other potential purchaser. That would immediately attract competition concerns - especially in countries where there are companies that have had problems with Qualcomm etc in the past. And the EU would definitely be all over it. The reassurances and guarantees that would have to be given in order to ensure ARM technology was essentially available in the way it is available now would take away most of the reasons for paying the premium necessary to acquire the company.

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2015
    rcs1000 said:

Is MIPS 64-bit?

Yes, they were one of the first 64-bit mass-market architectures (long before ARM).
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,221
    I see Tim Farron is saying that the Lib Dems won't honour the Salisbury Convention. Things could get very interesting this autumn.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Acquired by Imagination Technologies.

But MIPS was always a load of crock in my experience.

ARM was the lead in a consortium that acquired almost all the MIPs patents:

http://www.iam-media.com/blog/detail.aspx?g=1d90d5f9-5eba-477a-9c4a-c40e166a36b0

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    malcolmg said:

Charles said:

If people had Toyota hybrids this is never a problem.
    You got a part time job with Toyota Mike.
    Surely all you need is the stop start function like on my Nissan Juke diesel - engine cuts out at traffic lights, etc. Very easy and saves fuel.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

First they came for....
    Danczuk the Terrible
    Really helpful

Still not a clue what you mean.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,862

Robin Saxby (the person who led ARM after its split from Acorn and helped devise the business model) has already been knighted, but he should really get some other form of official recognition as well.
    We got into ARM via Acorn shares from 1984.

They went from a couple of hundred to 25k.

Just like a slow Jezza.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,128
    tlg86 said:

I see Tim Farron is saying that the Lib Dems won't honour the Salisbury Convention. Things could get very interesting this autumn.

According to Wikipedia "After the Labour general election victory in 2005, the Liberal Democrats indicated that they did not feel bound by the Salisbury Convention as a result of decreasing voter turnout, the low share of the vote received by the Government, and the changes to the composition of the House of Lords introduced in 1999 by the Labour Government."
  • Options
    MattW said:

We got into ARM via Acorn shares from 1984.

They went from a couple of hundred to 25k.

(snip).
    Heh. Ditto, although I was in during the early 1990s.
  • Options
    So the Limp Debs ..with their 8 MPs.. would do what exactly..
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,217
    hunchman said:

HYUFD said:

PPP Iowa

GOP

Trump 24% (19%)
    Carson 17% (12%)
    Fiorina 13% (10%)
    Cruz 8% (9%)
    Rubio 8% (6%)
    Bush 6% (11%)
    Huckabee 6% (6%)
    Walker 5% (12%)
    Jindal 4% (2%)
    Paul 4% (3%)
    Kasich 2% (3%)
    Christie 1% (1%)
    Santorum 1% (2%)
    Gilmore 0% (0%)
    Graham 0% (0%)
    Pataki 0% (0%)

Democrats

Clinton 43%
    Sanders 22%
    Biden 17%
    O'Malley 3%
    Webb 3%
    Chafee 2%

Pleasing to see Jeb Bush going backwards despite the GOP establishment and that odious man Boehner backing him. Well they're losing control and thank goodness too. Enjoyed listening to a trump speech where he laid into Obama on climate change. That was great to see!
    Trump remains the man to beat at the moment
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:
    Thanks Robert. A lot of good stuff in that document. The main problem is that demographics and their impact are completely ignored. On that score alone the outcome that the paper describes is impossible in my humble opinion. The points on government debt are arguable but investors are not rational beings. Its just time, well 9 days away, for the start of the sovereign debt crisis based on martin armstrong and his economic confidence model. What seems affordable now at rock bottom interest rates now rapidly changes once expectations of rising rates are baked into the cake.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

tlg86 said:

According to Wikipedia "After the Labour general election victory in 2005, the Liberal Democrats indicated that they did not feel bound by the Salisbury Convention as a result of decreasing voter turnout, the low share of the vote received by the Government, and the changes to the composition of the House of Lords introduced in 1999 by the Labour Government."
    I wonder what the Tories have planned, they must know things could get rocky with their slim majority. I suppose there's always the Parliament Act to get round the Lords, but I think they'd like to avoid that.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

First they came for....
    Danczuk the Terrible
    Really helpful

Ok will treat the question with respect for a fellow regular poster.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jun/19/labour-accidentally-offers-everyone-their-own-owl

Edit - I suppose it's rather posh to ask for one in metallic?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Is MIPS 64-bit?

Really, whether ARM is owned by Qualcomm or independent, it is a de facto monopoly.
    Can't remember whether MIPS is 32 bit or 64 bit: I've never had to use it in anger. I'd be amazed if they didn't have a 64-bit version. If they don't then they'll find it impossible to compete.

ARM aren't quite a monopoly IMO; and if they are, are they exploiting their position?
  • Options
    hunchman said:

rcs1000 said:
    Thanks Robert. A lot of good stuff in that document. The main problem is that demographics and their impact are completely ignored. On that score alone the outcome that the paper describes is impossible in my humble opinion. The points on government debt are arguable but investors are not rational beings. Its just time, well 9 days away, for the start of the sovereign debt crisis based on martin armstrong and his economic confidence model. What seems affordable now at rock bottom interest rates now rapidly changes once expectations of rising rates are baked into the cake.
    I have a whole different paper on demographics I'm working on, which I'll share with you at some other point.

Can we have a gentleman's wage on the coming sovereign debt crisis? I think it'll affect commodity exporters, like Venezuela, Ecaudor, Brazil, Russia, Chile, Argentina, Nigeria, etc. You think it'll hammer the developed countries.

But there is a feedback loop in place. Falling commodity prices directly add to developed countries GDP (lower prices means higher net exports), increasing growth rates, and making debt service ratios less onerous.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Instructions would be covered by copyright.

ARM is essentially seen as a neutral player in the market. You could not say the same about Qualcomm or any other potential purchaser. That would immediately attract competition concerns - especially in countries where there are companies that have had problems with Qualcomm etc in the past. And the EU would definitely be all over it. The reassurances and guarantees that would have to be given in order to ensure ARM technology was essentially available in the way it is available now would take away most of the reasons for paying the premium necessary to acquire the company.

It is worth remembering Qualcomm has $25bn of off-shore cash. Repatriating it to the US would incur a 35% tax charge. It earns virtually zero interest currently.

It is perfectly logical for Qualcomm to say "we'll treat ARM like BT does Openreach. It's available to all". And they'll still beat their cost of capital in owning it.

And they will, I'm sure, reap synergies in the future from having first access to all the engineers.

(As an aside, when I was at Goldman, I knew Robin Saxby well, and he was one of the most brilliant, yet self-effacing men I've ever met. One of the best, most under-rated tech CEOs ever. Alongside Henning Kagermann of SAP.)
  • Options

So the Limp Debs ..with their 8 MPs.. would do what exactly..

They can combine with labour in the House of Lords to amend, alter or prevent government legislation. The Salisbury convention allows government legislation laid out in their manifesto to be approved without the same opposition. The Lib Dems being undemocratic - what a waste of space they are
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Is MIPS 64-bit?

Can't remember whether MIPS is 32 bit or 64 bit: I've never had to use it in anger. I'd be amazed if they didn't have a 64-bit version. If they don't then they'll find it impossible to compete.

ARM aren't quite a monopoly IMO; and if they are, are they exploiting their position?
    You wish to build a mobile phone. What architecture would sir like to use?

But you're right, it's not quite a monopoly. Intel - which has the world's greatest process technology - will see to that.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

First they came for....
    Danczuk the Terrible
    Really helpful

For avoidance of any doubt

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/static/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2014/6/19/1403186867196/aa6f64ef-c476-4c59-80ee-c4bcd2e0c338-bestSizeAvailable.jpeg?w=620&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10&s=e29379801b498526dd283dcae94affbc
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,059
    edited September 2015
    Bayern Munich were 1-0 down at Half Time at home to Wolfsburg

Lewandowski comes on as sub

It's 5-1 after an hour and he has got all 5
  • Options
    Wolfsburg - the football club bankrolled by VW - were 1-0 up at Bayern Munich at half time. But in the space of 8 minutes Bayern, or more specifically - Robert Lewandovski - have scored five goals to lead 5-1. Wolfsburg aren't liked in Germany because of VW, but anyone who challenges Bayern is good in my books. Worth noting too that VW - via Audi - have a stake in Bayern Munich.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,190
    isam said:

*...the Special One reaches for the cheque-book.... *
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

First they came for....
    Danczuk the Terrible
    Really helpful

For avoidance of any doubt

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/static/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2014/6/19/1403186867196/aa6f64ef-c476-4c59-80ee-c4bcd2e0c338-bestSizeAvailable.jpeg?w=620&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10&s=e29379801b498526dd283dcae94affbc
    Thanks for that.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Is MIPS 64-bit?

You wish to build a mobile phone. What architecture would sir like to use?

But you're right, it's not quite a monopoly. Intel - which has the world's greatest process technology - will see to that.
    ARM. But I'd choose them knowing they wouldn't screw me if I became too successful. That's hardly true of Intel and others.

he fact that Qualcomm - another fabless semi company - has a much greater capitalisaiton indicates ARM aren't being greedy with that monopoly.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    edited September 2015

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

First they came for....
    Danczuk the Terrible
    Really helpful

[never mind, see it was answered now]
  • Options

isam said:

See his first team doctor has left amongst rumours of litigation. Hardly surprising after the way he treated her - and will he even be at Chelsea by January ??
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,778
    I saw earlier some debates on electric cars vs fuel cell

The fact is that fuel cell cars *are* electric cars. Just with a interesting type of primary battery.

In fact, in order to improve efficiency (re-generative braking), smooth the start up and shutdown of the fuel cells (which hate to be turned on and off), you will end up with a substantial battery in fuel cell cars - to act as an energy buffer.

Li-ion batteries are improving in terms of cost/performance by 6-8% per year, compound

The reason that both electric and fuel cell cars are possible is that the drive train is fundamentally much more efficient - you can get 90% of the energy out of a battery to the wheels, while getting 35% of the energy in petrol to the wheels is quite an achievement. Quite simply - neither needs to get the energy density of petrol to deliver the same performance.

Had a ride in a

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_Model_S

not long ago - 250 miles of usable range, 30 minutes charging time off a Supercharger and performance that is terrifying. 3.5 seconds to 60....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

hunchman said:

HYUFD said:

PPP Iowa

GOP

Trump 24% (19%)
    Carson 17% (12%)
    Fiorina 13% (10%)
    Cruz 8% (9%)
    Rubio 8% (6%)
    Bush 6% (11%)
    Huckabee 6% (6%)
    Walker 5% (12%)
    Jindal 4% (2%)
    Paul 4% (3%)
    Kasich 2% (3%)
    Christie 1% (1%)
    Santorum 1% (2%)
    Gilmore 0% (0%)
    Graham 0% (0%)
    Pataki 0% (0%)

Democrats

Clinton 43%
    Sanders 22%
    Biden 17%
    O'Malley 3%
    Webb 3%
    Chafee 2%

Trump remains the man to beat at the moment
    Trump will never be POTUS, thank goodness.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

The House of Lords is still in theory kept in check by the idea that the Monarch could flood the chamber with government peers to ensure the primacy of the democratic chamber. This has been threatened twice and I see no reason why, should the Lords become a block on the manifesto commitments of the elected government, that this could not be invoked again.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

The House of Lords is still in theory kept in check by the idea that the Monarch could flood the chamber with government peers to ensure the primacy of the democratic chamber. This has been threatened twice and I see no reason why, should the Lords become a block on the manifesto commitments of the elected government, that this could not be invoked again.
    Though it would be very funny if the Lib Dems try and hold up manifesto commitments in the Lords and the Conservative party threatens them with hundreds of new peers. Pretty nearly exactly a century...
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,059

isam said:

My mate came on at HT and did that on Saturday amazingly enough.... Div 4 of the Greene King Vets League not quite the same standard though
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618

The fact is that fuel cell cars *are* electric cars. Just with a interesting type of primary battery.

In fact, in order to improve efficiency (re-generative braking), smooth the start up and shutdown of the fuel cells (which hate to be turned on and off), you will end up with a substantial battery in fuel cell cars - to act as an energy buffer.

Li-ion batteries are improving in terms of cost/performance by 6-8% per year, compound

The reason that both electric and fuel cell cars are possible is that the drive train is fundamentally much more efficient - you can get 90% of the energy out of a battery to the wheels, while getting 35% of the energy in petrol to the wheels is quite an achievement. Quite simply - neither needs to get the energy density of petrol to deliver the same performance.

Had a ride in a

not long ago - 250 miles of usable range, 30 minutes charging time off a Supercharger and performance that is terrifying. 3.5 seconds to 60....

OK energy from the battery to the wheels is quite efficient, but what about generation efficiency at the power station, transmission losses,charging losses etc. It is possible to argue both ways about the overall efficiency, they are about equal,but emissions are relocated. The real reason to buy EV is because there is no excise duty on the electricity used.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087

tlg86 said:

Though it would be very funny if the Lib Dems try and hold up manifesto commitments in the Lords and the Conservative party threatens them with hundreds of new peers. Pretty nearly exactly a century...
    Perhaps that was the plan all along? Force the system to breaking point and hope the British approach of papering over the cracks does not work this time.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

It would be outrageous if the Liberal Democrats, after being hammered at the ballot box, use the very chamber they have called undemocratic for years to stop legislation. Realistically, an elected Lords should have a UKIP-Tory majority.
  • Options
    jayfdee said:

Had a ride in a

OK energy from the battery to the wheels is quite efficient, but what about generation efficiency at the power station, transmission losses,charging losses etc. It is possible to argue both ways about the overall efficiency, they are about equal,but emissions are relocated. The real reason to buy EV is because there is no excise duty on the electricity used.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life-cycle_assessment#Well-to-wheel

not a bad run through here -

https://matter2energy.wordpress.com/2013/02/22/wells-to-wheels-electric-car-efficiency/

Electric cars generally come out ahead....