Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Ashcroft revelations day 2

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited September 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Ashcroft revelations day 2

Is recent months, particularly since the July budget, the sentiment has moved very strongly to the Chancellor, George Osborne. I wonder whether some of the backlash provoked by the tabloid frenzy could impact on him because, after all, Osborne was also a member of the Bullingdon club at Oxford and has had his own share of bad publicity.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    First!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    First! Time to pile on Sajid?
  • Options

First!

Damn and blast. Took time to read the thread like a numpty!
  • Options
    RobD said:

First!

A novice error!
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Regarding Ashcroft's non-dom status: one of them is lying.

Who is it ? The one who has notes of the meeting or the other one who is not known to get into detail.

• Options
    edited September 2015
    RobD said:

Might as well give the money to charity ! I don't understand this clamour for Sajid. Suddenly, the Tories love a Muslim.

What has Hammond, for example, done wrong ? Or, May ?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

RobD said:

Might as well give the money to charity ! I don't understand this clamour for Sajid. Suddenly, the Tories love a Muslim.

As much as I'd love May to be PM, it just wouldn't be fair to Labour to have two female Tory PMs before they even elect one female leader. :D
  • Options

RobD said:

First!

A novice error!
    I doff my cap to you, sir.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    I've a strong feeling that this set of stories will be long forgotten by the time anyone really concentrates on the next Tory leader and hence will have no or minimal effect on the race. And as Mike says, there is a very good chance that the next leader may not even be in the frame currently.

And would it be truly damaging for Cameron if it turns out he knew about the non-dom status earlier? Do the public really care? Maybe they do, but I'd be surprised if it were truly on the public's radar screen beyond the politically obsessed like us.

To me, all it seems the Tories need to do for the next 4+ years is govern competently and all this will not impact them one jot. Barring events, the Europe referendum is the only real threat to them at the moment.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

I've a strong feeling that this set of stories will be long forgotten by the time anyone really concentrates on the next Tory leader and hence will have no or minimal effect on the race. And as Mike says, there is a very good chance that the next leader may not even be in the frame currently.

And would it be truly damaging for Cameron if it turns out he knew about the non-dom status earlier? Do the public really care? Maybe they do, but I'd be surprised if it were truly on the public's radar screen beyond the politically obsessed like us.

To me, all it seems the Tories need to do for the next 4+ years is govern competently and all this will not impact them one jot. Barring events, the Europe referendum is the only real threat to them at the moment.

I cannot see the non-Dom business being significant. It is simply too obscure to gain real traction.

Ashcroft is just demonstrating what a prat he is with this book. Dave is vindicated in his opinion of Ashcroft's lack of suitability for high office.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    surbiton said:

Who is it ? The one who has notes of the meeting or the other one who is not known to get into detail.

Is it this guy?
    Sensational claims that David Cameron engaged in obscene activities with a pig’s head while a student at Oxford were unravelling last night after the authors of a new biography admitted they had failed to corroborate the story.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

RobD said:

As much as I'd love May to be PM, it just wouldn't be fair to Labour to have two female Tory PMs before they even elect one female leader. :D
    It's always difficult to know who has ambitions to do the job. Before the election I'd assumed that Osborne didn't really want the job but given the outcome it's hardly a surprise that he may be thinking about it. I get the feeling that it won't be Boris.

I still think Philip Hammond has a chance - especially if OUT wins the referendum. For a complete outsider what about Theresa Villiers? She doesn't have much of a profile but always comes across as fairly affable. And perhaps the lack of baggage might benefit a candidate like her.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

surbiton said:

Is it this guy?
    Sensational claims that David Cameron engaged in obscene activities with a pig’s head while a student at Oxford were unravelling last night after the authors of a new biography admitted they had failed to corroborate the story.
    Then one Tory MP was lying !
  • Options

MTimT said:

I cannot see the non-Dom business being significant. It is simply too obscure to gain real traction.

Ashcroft is just demonstrating what a prat he is with this book. Dave is vindicated in his opinion of Ashcroft's lack of suitability for high office.
    The non-dom matter has nothing to do with the public. It is more to do with Parliament. Echoes of Heseltine, Thatcher and Westland.

Did Cameron tell Parliament anything which turned out not to be true ?
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

RobD said:

You have done better than that. You also had gay PM's. Labour, almost certainly, have not. The Tories probably also had PM's who engaged in hanky-panky [ with humans ].
  • Options
    surbiton said:

MTimT said:

The non-dom matter has nothing to do with the public. It is more to do with Parliament. Echoes of Heseltine, Thatcher and Westland.

According to TheyWorkForYou, which I think is using Hansard, Cameron has not uttered the word "Ashcroft" in the chamber. Nor has he mentioned "non-dom" "non dom" or "non-domiciled" in relation to a certain peer of the realm.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

RobD said:

You have done better than that. You also had gay PM's. Labour, almost certainly, have not. The Tories probably also had PM's who engaged in hanky-panky [ with humans ].
    Don't have a problem with them being gay, so long as they are Tory ;)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

surbiton said:

Is it this guy?
    They did corroborate the story but they have only one source ! The Tory MP who is supposed to have told the story [ and apparently has seen a photo ! ] reportedly repeated the story several times.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited September 2015
    Scott_P said:

surbiton said:

Is it this guy?
    Unravelling is perhaps overstating the case. The tin-foil hat brigade will be expecting a mysterious MI5 break-in at the home of whomever is said to possess the photograph.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

They did corroborate the story but they have only one source !

I think you need to look up the definition of corroborate...
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

surbiton said:

Is it this guy?
    They did corroborate the story but they have only one source ! The Tory MP who is supposed to have told the story [ and apparently has seen a photo ! ] reportedly repeated the story several times.

Corroborating a story typically involves more than one witness. The police seem to be encountering this with their VIP paedophile investigation.
  • Options

Unravelling is perhaps overstating the case.

Not really. Did you see Isabell on Newsnight?

"We heard a funny story. We couldn't stand it up. We printed it anyway..."
  • Options

Scott_P said:

surbiton said:

Is it this guy?
    Unravelling is perhaps overstating the case. The tin-foil hat brigade will be expecting a mysterious MI5 break-in at the home of whomever is said to possess the photograph.

If I were Cam, and I had done it, I'd be offering the person with the photo half the proceeds from the libel case against Ashcroft :D
  • Options
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

MTimT said:

According to TheyWorkForYou, which I think is using Hansard, Cameron has not uttered the word "Ashcroft" in the chamber. Nor has he mentioned "non-dom" "non dom" or "non-domiciled" in relation to a certain peer of the realm.
    Then Ashcroft can whistle in the wind ! If Cameron told porkies outside Parliament, it's not worth worrying about. The public expects politicians to lie.

What is Ashcroft's position on Europe ? Could he be a donor to UKIP ?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    edited September 2015
    What is this "froff" you speak of? Do you mean froth?

Froff or froth the falling apart of the most extreme allegation yesterday within 12 hours suggests that actually publishing this book looks very ill advised. As for the suggestion that it was Cameron who was lying about Lord A's tax status, well the record has moved in a way not necessarily to the Lord's advantage. He is a very silly man.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

surbiton said:

Is it this guy?
    If I were Cam, and I had done it, I'd be offering the person with the photo half the proceeds from the libel case against Ashcroft :D

One thing puzzles me. Since Downing Street belatedly denied this story, why didn't they come out right at the beginning denying the story and also demanding a retraction or else ?

Interesting, for all the words uttered or written, no retraction has been demanded yet with or without any legal threat !
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

surbiton said:

Is it this guy?

You might not be far off. Didn't a well-heeled Conservative buy the copyright of the Bullingdon photo, which then disappeared from the media?
  • Options
    Yesterday and pig gate was nothing more than a bit of fun, this is potentially more serious for Cameron as again his honesty is brought into question, it gives kippers the chance to rehash "cast iron Dave". Loving the way the Tories on here are brushing this off as well, the fact is Cameron's honeymoon is well and truly over, politics is about confidence and assurance, all this with more to come will knock him off his stride when his mind needs to be on EU and migrants.

Most importantly it takes Corbyn off the front page and gives them a chance to regroup, the Tories have had a charmed time since May, time to show a little humility and accept this term won't be the breeze some were anticipating.

• Options
    surbiton said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

surbiton said:

Is it this guy?
    One thing puzzles me. Since Downing Street belatedly denied this story, why didn't they come out right at the beginning denying the story and also demanding a retraction or else.

Interesting, for all the words uttered or written, no retraction has been demanded yet with or without legal threat !

Belated? If I recall correctly it was done on the day of publication. It's not as if it's been several weeks and only now Downing St have commented on it.

On your second point, this was addressed in a previous thread. Either Cam sues for libel based on the whole thing, which runs the risk of one small aspect derailing the entire thing, or he sues just on the most damaging aspect, and people wonder why he isn't suing for all of it. I'm sure he's been having and will have conversations in the coming days.As was pointed out, there is a one year time limit for libel.

Saying that, nothing can undo the damage that is done, as I am sure people like you (or at least those on the left who particularly loathe him) will go to the grave believing he did it.
  • Options

Most importantly it takes Corbyn off the front page and gives them a chance to regroup,

Not wanting to sound like a Nat, but isn't that "Good For the Tories"? :D
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Chatting as one does like any Blandings type estate owner to the porcine residents down at Home Farm about the Cameron revelations, I have to say they were open mouthed about the whereabouts of the PM's sausage back in the day.

I have promised them that they would be kept well informed about any senior Conservatives visiting Auchentennach Castle. They were tight lipped about the prospect ....
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

surbiton said:

Is it this guy?
    Corroborating a story typically involves more than one witness. The police seem to be encountering this with their VIP paedophile investigation.

The UK press do not regularly fact check or corroborate. If they say they require it (as reported in a thread yesterday) it is a lie.

For example, the Corbyn £45 to an IRA fugitive was printed without corroboration or fact checking (the second time, assuming the first time in the 80s was merely an error).

Even worse, the paper which was boasting yesterday that they would never have printed such a "flimsy" story was the Telegraph. The same Telegraph that printed the Sturgeon smear during the election campaign with no fact checking and no corroboration.

In any case, to a greater extent, it doesn't matter. Cameron is now tagged and will forever be noted on social media and in conversations around the country as "the pig f*cker".
  • Options
    surbiton said:

You also had gay PM's. Labour, almost certainly, have not.

surbiton said:

One thing puzzles me. Since Downing Street belatedly denied this story, why didn't they come out right at the beginning denying the story and also demanding a retraction or else ?

Interesting, for all the words uttered or written, no retraction has been demanded yet with or without any legal threat !

There were many rumours about a Labour PM being gay, and no retraction was demanded IIRC

So that makes it true, right?
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

surbiton said:

Is it this guy?
    One thing puzzles me. Since Downing Street belatedly denied this story, why didn't they come out right at the beginning denying the story and also demanding a retraction or else.

Interesting, for all the words uttered or written, no retraction has been demanded yet with or without legal threat !
    Belated? If I recall correctly it was done on the day of publication. It's not as if it's been several weeks and only now Downing St have commented on it.

On your second point, this was addressed in a previous thread. Either Cam sues for libel based on the whole thing, which runs the risk of one small aspect derailing the entire thing, or he sues just on the most damaging aspect, and people wonder why he isn't suing for all of it. I'm sure he's been having and will have conversations in the coming days.As was pointed out, there is a one year time limit for libel.

Saying that, nothing can undo the damage that is done, as I am sure people like you (or at least those on the left who particularly loathe him) will go to the grave believing he did it.

Actually, I do not believe it 100% myself. As it so happens, Cam is one of very few Tories I do not loathe. And, on the loath-o-meter, I probably loathe Ashcroft more anyway for keeping the Tory party afloat during 1997-2001.

The "source" is a Tory MP who may have an axe to grind.

Many people will believe it and not necessarily on the left. People expect public school types to engage in such pranks. It may not do him or the Tories any great damage apart from a few.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756
    All Dave has to say is "Im a pretty straight kind of guy " and the problem will go away.

( well it worked for Tony )
  • Options
    Dair said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

surbiton said:

Is it this guy?
    The UK press do not regularly fact check or corroborate. If they say they require it (as reported in a thread yesterday) it is a lie.

For example, the Corbyn £45 to an IRA fugitive was printed without corroboration or fact checking (the second time, assuming the first time in the 80s was merely an error).

Even worse, the paper which was boasting yesterday that they would never have printed such a "flimsy" story was the Telegraph. The same Telegraph that printed the Sturgeon smear during the election campaign with no fact checking and no corroboration.

In any case, to a greater extent, it doesn't matter. Cameron is now tagged and will forever be noted on social media and in conversations around the country as "the pig f*cker".

I'm not the one saying the press do or do not corroborate. I was merely describing what the word corroborate actually means.

You are certainly correct about your last point, which I find quite depressing, (and I would like to think I also would if this had happened to someone of any other political persuasion).
  • Options
    surbiton said:

How do you know it's a Tory?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

surbiton said:

Is it this guy?

Actually, I do not believe it 100% myself. The "source" is a Tory MP who may have an axe to grind.

Many people will believe it and not necessarily on the left. People expect public school types to engage in such pranks. It may not do him or the Tories any great damage apart from a few.

So what, 98% believe it?
  • Options

Yesterday and pig gate was nothing more than a bit of fun, this is potentially more serious for Cameron as again his honesty is brought into question, it gives kippers the chance to rehash "cast iron Dave". Loving the way the Tories on here are brushing this off as well, the fact is Cameron's honeymoon is well and truly over, politics is about confidence and assurance, all this with more to come will knock him off his stride when his mind needs to be on EU and migrants.

Most importantly it takes Corbyn off the front page and gives them a chance to regroup, the Tories have had a charmed time since May, time to show a little humility and accept this term won't be the breeze some were anticipating.

What of the new set of allegations challenges his honesty? I don't see anything in the above headlines. They challenge his judgment and his competence and a wave of such allegations, spurious or not, makes life much more difficult for him beyond doubt.

The only "dishonest" allegation was yesterday's about Ashcroft's tax. This is all long ago but my vague recollection is that there was an issue about whether Ashcroft was allowed to make the donations that he did to the Tory party when he was not tax resident. This was before the 2010 election as I do not think he has given any money since. The money had been paid through a UK domiciled company so I think it was an issue of appearances rather than law but the Tories did duck and dive about it for a while.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Froff or froth the falling apart of the most extreme allegation yesterday within 12 hours suggests that actually publishing this book looks very ill advised. As for the suggestion that it was Cameron who was lying about Lord A's tax status, well the record has moved in a way not necessarily to the Lord's advantage. He is a very silly man.

The story has not remotely fallen apart.

Actually it's worse than that. In 24 hours not one single individual appears to have gone on record to deny it. The best that Cameron has is unnamed peers reported as denying it. He can't get anyone on record.

A good parallel is the Sturgeon smear where, within 4 hours, two individuals had gone on record denying it (third parties to the reported events). Cameron still hasn't got this.

We do not live in the United States, where there are expected standards in journalism. This is the UK, where one national daily newspaper actually exists on the premise that all its stories are lies. There is nothing exceptional about the #piggate reports by the standards of British journalism.
  • Options
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

surbiton said:

Is it this guy?

Actually, I do not believe it 100% myself. The "source" is a Tory MP who may have an axe to grind.

So what, 98% believe it?

He may have done it or may not have. How can I be sure one way or the other. I do not believe that Cameron, a politician, always speaks the truth !

Still why no retraction demanded ?
  • Options
    Dair said:

DavidL said:

Actually it's worse than that. In 24 hours not one single individual appears to have gone on record to deny it. The best that Cameron has is unnamed peers reported as denying it. He can't get anyone on record.

A good parallel is the Sturgeon smear where, within 4 hours, two individuals had gone on record denying it (third parties to the reported events). Cameron still hasn't got this.

We do not live in the United States, where there are expected standards in journalism. There is nothing exceptional about the #piggate reports by the standards of British journalism.
    This is the UK, where one national daily newspaper actually exists on the premise that all its stories are lies.

I( assume that's your main source of information, you must pour over their economics pages.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

surbiton said:

Is it this guy?

So what, 98% believe it?
    He may have done it or may not have. How can I be sure one way or the other. I do not believe that Cameron, a politician, always speaks the truth !

I gave an example as to why they may be taking their time to consider it. Also legal action is expensive, time consuming, and would generate headlines on the matter for months on end. Lack of action is not an admission of guilt.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

surbiton said:

Didn't Isabel say that ? It is very unlikely a Labour Party MP would have been in such a Hurray Henry gathering. I don't think Ashcroft would be talking to a Labour MP.
  • Options
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

surbiton said:

Is it this guy?

So what, 98% believe it?

I gave an example as to why they may be taking their time to consider it. Also legal action is expensive, time consuming, and would generate headlines on the matter for months on end. Lack of action is not an admission of guilt.

To many, it is. Again, they do not have to be from the left.

• Options
    Dair said:

In 24 hours not one single individual appears to have gone on record to deny it.

@politicshome: Recap: Downing Street says Cameron pig claims are 'nonsense' http://t.co/TW0mVb9aEf http://t.co/QDNc0UvQbl
  • Options
    surbiton said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

surbiton said:

Is it this guy?

So what, 98% believe it?

Well those people are quite frankly idiots.
  • Options
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

surbiton said:

Is it this guy?

So what, 98% believe it?

Fair enough, just like I think you are one.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

It is very unlikely a Labour Party MP would have been in such a Hurray Henry gathering.

Culture Secretary Andy Burnham admitted joining the male-only Fitzwilliam College Mornie Onion Society during his days at Cambridge University in the late Eighties.

The sporting society, renowned for its hard-drinking and potent cocktails of cider, Martini and vodka, boasts an initiation ceremony that involves drinking a yard of ale with an onion floating on top while naked or wearing only a towel.
    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1024943/Anti-booze-MP-admits-member-student-drinking-club-university-days.html#ixzz3mRZZf6Nt
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Note that this story is in the Daily Mail, so IT MUST BE TRUE, right?
  • Options
    Dair said:

DavidL said:

We do not live in the United States, where there are expected standards in journalism. This is the UK, where one national daily newspaper actually exists on the premise that all its stories are lies. There is nothing exceptional about the #piggate reports by the standards of British journalism.
    Well the allegation was that this was some sort of initiation event for a club that those who are in a position to say say Cameron was not at any time a member of. The photo reference seems to be that someone unnamed claims to have seen it and the "authors" of this nonsense don't have it, nor have they actually seen it.

That looks pretty fallen apart to me. So did the person responsible for this travesty last night when interviewed.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Dair said:

In 24 hours not one single individual appears to have gone on record to deny it.

@politicshome: Recap: Downing Street says Cameron pig claims are 'nonsense' http://t.co/TW0mVb9aEf http://t.co/QDNc0UvQbl
    I beleive Dair reads the Scottish National Enquirer,

anything's possible from aliens stole my haggis to the SNP have a currency strategy.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

surbiton said:

Is it this guy?

So what, 98% believe it?

Fair enough, just like I think you are one.

For what reason, if I may ask?
  • Options
    What an unhealthy democracy we live in where senior politicians, newspaper editors and BBC bosses all hang out together at the weekends, and billionaire donors expect cabinet level positions in return for the money they have donated to political parties.

No wonder the Scots want independence.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Dair said:

DavidL said:

We do not live in the United States, where there are expected standards in journalism. There is nothing exceptional about the #piggate reports by the standards of British journalism.
    This is the UK, where one national daily newspaper actually exists on the premise that all its stories are lies.

Guessing which one on any given day is the hard bit!
  • Options

What an unhealthy democracy we live in where senior politicians, newspaper editors and BBC bosses all hang out together at the weekends, and billionaire donors expect cabinet level positions in return for the money they have donated to political parties.

LOL you think it's different in Scotland ?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

surbiton said:

It is very unlikely a Labour Party MP would have been in such a Hurray Henry gathering.

Culture Secretary Andy Burnham admitted joining the male-only Fitzwilliam College Mornie Onion Society during his days at Cambridge University in the late Eighties.

The sporting society, renowned for its hard-drinking and potent cocktails of cider, Martini and vodka, boasts an initiation ceremony that involves drinking a yard of ale with an onion floating on top while naked or wearing only a towel.
    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1024943/Anti-booze-MP-admits-member-student-drinking-club-university-days.html#ixzz3mRZZf6Nt
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Note that this story is in the Daily Mail, so IT MUST BE TRUE, right?

Probably is true. Who cares ? I am not being morally judgemental on Cameron either for pig-gate or for smoking weed.

It is just good fun for us.
  • Options

Except the latter didn't happen, did it? Otherwise we wouldn't be in this situation!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Dair said:

So you confirm it.

No third party has gone on record denying it. Even Cameron hasn't denied it. So it doesn't even have the much weaker defense of a denial by the subject.

Problems mounting for Cameron.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Unravelling is perhaps overstating the case.

Not really. Did you see Isabell on Newsnight?

"We heard a funny story. We couldn't stand it up. We printed it anyway..."
    It was printed because it was a headline-grabber and it would sell a lot of books.

It's worked.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Scott_P said:

Dair said:

So you confirm it.

No third party has gone on record denying it. Even Cameron hasn't denied it. So it doesn't even have the much weaker defense of a denial by the subject.

Don't worry, I'm sure many of the tens of thousands of emails Corbyn will receive for this weeks PMQs will be on this very subject ;)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

That looks pretty fallen apart to me. So did the person responsible for this travesty last night when interviewed.

No, no, no.

Cameron was definitely a mamber (not corroborated) of a club that definitely has an initiation ceremony (not corroborated), and someone defineitely took a picture (not corroborated, and possibly illegal) and then definitely showed it to somoen else (not corroborated) who told the story THREE TIMES, so it MUST be true.

Take the 50/1, Cameron will be gone by years end...
  • Options
    Dair said:

Scott_P said:

Dair said:

So you confirm it.

Well, Telegraph reporting on someone going on the record:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/11880663/David-Cameron-was-the-straightest-man-at-Oxford-says-his-university-ex.html
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    edited September 2015

I am sure it would be exactly the same. But independence would at least give them the opportunity to ensure that it wasn't. Right now our system stinks to high heaven of pig crap.
  • Options
    Dair said:

No third party has gone on record denying it.

The Downing Street press office have denied it. Which part of that is confusing you?
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    We've already established that this book repeats dinner party stories, regardless of checks on veracity, without the basic journalistic standard of getting a second source, let alone a third. That's the thing with journalism: once you know a journalist is not credible you can't put any faith in anything they say. Isabel Oakeshott's reputation is shot, and so is Iain Dale's as publisher. They have traded their professional integrity for a quick buck.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

I am not being morally judgemental

Just factually incorrect on almost everything you have posted this morning. Keep up the good work :)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

What of the new set of allegations challenges his honesty? I don't see anything in the above headlines. They challenge his judgment and his competence and a wave of such allegations, spurious or not, makes life much more difficult for him beyond doubt.

The only "dishonest" allegation was yesterday's about Ashcroft's tax. This is all long ago but my vague recollection is that there was an issue about whether Ashcroft was allowed to make the donations that he did to the Tory party when he was not tax resident. This was before the 2010 election as I do not think he has given any money since. The money had been paid through a UK domiciled company so I think it was an issue of appearances rather than law but the Tories did duck and dive about it for a while.
    You'll read deeply into this, most people won't. In today's superficial world Ashcroft has given Cameron's opponents the opportunity to question his honesty over the non dom thing. Most people have no clue what a non dom is, nor do they care, but they sense for the first time in a while Cameron is on the back foot with no Clegg as the human shield.

im going to enjoy the next few days, not so much for the irrelevant stories but for the way people will defend their man regardless.

• Options
    RobD said:

Dair said:

Scott_P said:

Dair said:

So you confirm it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/11880663/David-Cameron-was-the-straightest-man-at-Oxford-says-his-university-ex.html

There is no way that the PM would be seen near cocaine and marijuana, she says. And yet Dellingpole is on the record as saying he smoked joints with Dave. Someone is lying.

• Options

I am sure it would be exactly the same. But independence would at least give them the opportunity to ensure that it wasn't. Right now our system stinks of pig crap.

If for a moment you imagine celts aren't clannish, looking after their mates and feasting on as much pork as they can get then you don't understand them. Salmonds creeping to billionaires like Murdoch and Trump is only the warm up act,
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Dair said:

DavidL said:

Well the allegation was that this was some sort of initiation event for a club that those who are in a position to say say Cameron was not at any time a member of. The photo reference seems to be that someone unnamed claims to have seen it and the "authors" of this nonsense don't have it, nor have they actually seen it.

The story hasn't fallen apart, you keep looking at these things with a legal hat on which is a different level of proof.

A story like this doesn't require corroboration to be legitimately published. In the UK it doesn't even require fact checking but let's assume we were in the US and it did. If Ashcroft and Oakshott came across the allegation separately - that actually fills the fact checking requirement for US journalism. Unfortunately we don't know this yet because Newsnight asked the wrong question - because UK journalism has no standards to meet.

Meanwhile we have absolutely no denial.

No third party is on record.
    The subject has not gone on record.

That Cameron refuses to put his own name on the press release is quite telling to my mind. "Downing street sources deny" is much, much weaker than "The Prime Minister denies".
  • Options
    OGH: "My own view is that Cameron’s successor could be someone who is not really in the frame at the moment."

I'm not sure precisely what Mike means by not really in the frame at the moment - if Dave really is intent on leaving the top job during this Parliament, his successor is surely someone currently in the Cabinet ..... although I agree possibly a 20/1 or even 40/1 shot, rather than one of the current 2 or 3 favourites.
    Who do PBers see as being a possible longshot and in whom it might therefore be worth investing a few quid?
    For those, like me, who believe Boris has virtually no chance, his likely elimination makes the rest of the betting market look quite attractive.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Take your head out of your ass and see the offical denial
  • Options

I am sure it would be exactly the same. But independence would at least give them the opportunity to ensure that it wasn't. Right now our system stinks of pig crap.

If for a moment you imagine celts aren't clannish, looking after their mates and feasting on as much pork as they can get then you don't understand them. Salmonds creeping to billionaires like Murdoch and Trump is only the warm up act,

There are plenty of Anglo-Saxons and Vikings up there too. They will keep the Celts in order.

• Options

There are plenty of Anglo-Saxons and Vikings up there too. They will keep the Celts in order.

They've gone native.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Dair said:

I beleive Dair reads the Scottish National Enquirer,

anything's possible from aliens stole my haggis to the SNP have a currency strategy.
    With the former more credible than the latter.

What's the SNP's currency strategy?

"What ever we say it is"

What if the other party says 'no'?

"They're lying...."
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,394
    edited September 2015
    On further thought, this strikes me as a book that was designed, and written, by Ashcroft to be published after Cameron had *lost* the election.

It then would have neatly stuck the boot in to him and his legacy. Any additional damage to the Conservative Party would have been minimal as the electorate would have already given its verdict on Cameron, who'd have been toast, and it'd also have been well-timed to influence the leadership contest. It'd help ensure that any future Conservative leader was not a "toff" of the Eton/Bullingdon set. The book would have served its purpose with Ashcroft appearing too churlish. He might even have appeared a sage. Just as he did following his "Wake Up and Smell the Coffee" book after GE2005.

But none of that happened. I doubt it's been substantially revised in the last four months. So now Ashcroft just looks vindictive and churlish, and has done real damage to the incumbent PM, the reputation of the UK abroad and his whole Party too.

Well done Michael.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656

I agree. The degree of cronyism and corruption is worrying. Ashcroft was offered a junior foreign office role, allegedly, and plenty of other donors end up in the Lords. It does nothing but erode faith in politics.
  • Options
    Dair said:

DavidL said:

Dair said:

DavidL said:

The story hasn't fallen apart, you keep looking at these things with a legal hat on which is a different level of proof.

A story like this doesn't require corroboration to be legitimately published. In the UK it doesn't even require fact checking but let's assume we were in the US and it did. If Ashcroft and Oakshott came across the allegation separately - that actually fills the fact checking requirement for US journalism. Unfortunately we don't know this yet because Newsnight asked the wrong question - because UK journalism has no standards to meet.

No third party is on record.
    The subject has not gone on record.

That Cameron refuses to put his own name on the press release is quite telling to my mind. "Downing street sources deny" is much, much weaker than "The Prime Minister denies".
    I take it you are not familiar with the law of libel? The onus of proving the truth of the story is on those making it. There is no evidence on the record to support it and, at the very least, some of the important details are wrong.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    RobD said:

Dair said:

Scott_P said:

Dair said:

So you confirm it.

In quite a bizarre way.

Ms Snow, 49, said she refused to read the claims made by Lord Ashcroft, a Conservative peer, in a new book entitled “Call Me Dave”.

Not a great start. Hope it doesn't get worse and she says something we know to be untrue.

But she insisted Mr Cameron was never a member of a “debauched” Oxford University society that engaged in “bizarre rituals and sexual excess”.

Oops, we already know that he was, factually a member of the Bullingdon, which I'm pretty well satisfied fits that description.

But surely she goes and names the society he wasn't a member of later in the article and goes into details of events she was at so she can be fairly certain what happened at these clubs.

No, she doesn't. Not once.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    edited September 2015
    Speaking as a journalist and editor, albeit in the humble and not widely read B2B press, there is no way on earth we would have run the pig story without on the record testimony from at least two independent sources. It does not stand up. That does not mean it is not true, but that is different and - as things stand - totally unprovable. Cameron's problem is that there may well be skeletons in his cupboard that would come out in a court case (including that photo (its mention may well be a threat)) and that Ashcroft is a billionaire who can spend millions defending himself and everyone else he has indemnified and not notice. This is the democracy we live in.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    surbiton said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

surbiton said:

Is it this guy?

In the common law of libel, the claimant has the burden only of proving that the statement was made by the defendant, and that it was defamatory. I can't see that is in doubt. The burden then passes to the defendant to dig themselves out of a hole...

Since the Oakeshott piece on Newsnight, I am imagining that there has been through the night correspondence between the lawyers for Cameron and Ashcroft, Oakeshott and the Mail Group, with expressions like "malicious falsehood", "full apology", "undertaking never to repeat", "pulp all copies" and "substantial donation to a children's charity"bandied around.....

I wouldn't want to try and defend a claim brought by Cameron for malicious falsehood after what has been admitted about the lack of corroboration.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,579
    surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

surbiton said:

Didn't Isabel say that ? It is very unlikely a Labour Party MP would have been in such a Hurray Henry gathering. I don't think Ashcroft would be talking to a Labour MP.
    Yeah. Right.

Ed Balls was a Tory at Oxford, to example, so they don't have a problem being members of seemingly un-LAbour setups.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/pandora/revealed-how-ed-balls-was-a-tory-under-thatcher-406675.html
  • Options
    Dair said:

DavidL said:

I think we all understand that Nicola Sturgeon walks on water.
  • Options

OGH: "My own view is that Cameron’s successor could be someone who is not really in the frame at the moment."

I'm not sure precisely what Mike means by not really in the frame at the moment - if Dave really is intent on leaving the top job during this Parliament, his successor is surely someone currently in the Cabinet ..... although I agree possibly a 20/1 or even 40/1 shot, rather than one of the current 2 or 3 favourites.
    Who do PBers see as being a possible longshot and in whom it might therefore be worth investing a few quid?
    For those, like me, who believe Boris has virtually no chance, his likely elimination makes the rest of the betting market look quite attractive.

Answering my own Q, Hammond looks like the value bet at 55 with Betfair = 51/1 in old money. At worst he's likely to be a candidate which should provide for a trading opportunity on the exchange.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    He cannot sue for two reasons;
    1) It is expensive, time consuming and would bring the story into the wider publics gaze rather than it falling away in weeks
    2) His time is PM is counting down, no third term means every day counts so legal action makes him a lame duck that may as well not be in office.
  • Options

Dair said:

DavidL said:

I think we all understand that Nicola Sturgeon walks on water.
    ...... and invariably in a red outfit.
  • Options
    MattW said:

surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

surbiton said:

Yeah. Right.

Ed Balls was a Tory at Oxford, to example, so they don't have a problem being members of seemingly un-LAbour setups.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/pandora/revealed-how-ed-balls-was-a-tory-under-thatcher-406675.html

I think it's a bit of a stretch to blame this one on Labour. If the source is a Labour MP you can bet your bottom dollar we would know about it by now as that makes all Dave's problems go away immediately. And you can bet your bottom dollar that everyone on the inside of the story does know who the source is.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

Dair said:

A denial is where a named individual - either the subject or a verified third party - puts their name to a statement.

A press release - which is the best you can come up with - referencing "sources" is not a denial.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Dair said:

Its shifted from not one denial, to not one denial from a third party in an hour.
    Why would anyone want to get involved in a denial? They would be on the Mails cover the next day.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

RobD said:

It's frankly insane to think that someone failing to take action is an admission of guilt.

If an untrue story was printed about me in the papers, I'd have to weigh up the hurt caused (and potential hurt in the future) against cost, the chance the case might fail, and the extra publicity the case might cause.

But at the heart of it, without legal aid I probably could not afford to do it. I could only ask for a retraction, without much hope. Even if I could afford it, I might worry that the paper/media organisation would arrange their defence in such a way as to cause me maximum hurt.

And yet, according to you, some would see my lack of action as an admission of guilt? If so, then they're little more than pathetic fools who lack any critical faculties.

If Christopher Jefferies had not sued the newspapers, would these dullards have still thought him guilty, despite the fact someone else was found guilty of the murder?

I hope you aren't quite as dull as the people you claim exist.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Scott_P said:

Dair said:

A denial is where a named individual - either the subject or a verified third party - puts their name to a statement.

A press release - which is the best you can come up with - referencing "sources" is not a denial.
    Its a whole lot more traceable than the original allegation!
  • Options

surbiton said:

RobD said:

It's frankly insane to think that someone failing to take action is an admission of guilt.

If an untrue story was printed about me in the papers, I'd have to weigh up the hurt caused (and potential hurt in the future) against cost, the chance the case might fail, and the extra publicity the case might cause.

But at the heart of it, without legal aid I probably could not afford to do it. I could only ask for a retraction, without much hope. Even if I could afford it, I might worry that the paper/media organisation would arrange their defence in such a way as to cause me maximum hurt.

And yet, according to you, some would see my lack of action as an admission of guilt? If so, then they're little more than pathetic fools who lack any critical faculties.

If Christopher Jefferies had not sued the newspapers, would these dullards have still thought him guilty, despite the fact someone else was found guilty of the murder?

I hope you aren't quite as dull as the people you claim exist.
    Thanks for posting that
  • Options
    Dair said:

Scott_P said:

Dair said:

Is that the dictionary defition of a denial? Seems rather narrow.
  • Options
    Dair said:

It's the PMs official press spokesperson. It's a denial. As official a denial as it is possible to get in the Real World

Of course it is not on the front page of the Nat onal, so I understand why you missed it

• Options
    Dair said:

Scott_P said:

Dair said:

Your understanding of this is as laughable as your understanding of many topics, including railway modernisation. :)
  • Options
    HaroldO said:

Dair said:

Scott_P said:

Dair said:

de·ni·al
    dəˈnīəl/
    noun
    the action of declaring something to be untrue.

Isn't that what No. 10 did? Ball's in your court now, Dair. :D
  • Options

surbiton said:

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

surbiton said:

Is it this guy?

In the common law of libel, the claimant has the burden only of proving that the statement was made by the defendant, and that it was defamatory. I can't see that is in doubt. The burden then passes to the defendant to dig themselves out of a hole...

Since the Oakeshott piece on Newsnight, I am imagining that there has been through the night correspondence between the lawyers for Cameron and Ashcroft, Oakeshott and the Mail Group, with expressions like "malicious falsehood", "full apology", "undertaking never to repeat", "pulp all copies" and "substantial donation to a children's charity"bandied around.....

I wouldn't want to try and defend a claim brought by Cameron for malicious falsehood after what has been admitted about the lack of corroboration.

Quite so. I honestly wonder if we will ever see this book in the shops.
  • Options

Your understanding of this is as laughable as your understanding of many topics, including railway modernisation. :)

Can we have the one about VAT again?

Don't get me wrong, I like his new stuff, but every now and then you want a classic...
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I take it you are not familiar with the law of libel? The onus of proving the truth of the story is on those making it. There is no evidence on the record to support it and, at the very least, some of the important details are wrong.

Actually the point I am making is that the right to publish a story difference in the standard of proof required by a court of law. You can leave yourself open to libel while being able to publish something on journalistic grounds.

One of the main points I am making is that the UK has no required standards of jounalism. So, in effect, anything goes subject to the potential of a defamation/libel suit which, of course, may not happen due to many reasons other than the claim being true.

In the US they do have a higher standard - fact checking. Two independent sources (not two independence piece of evidence they can be the same evidence from different source). It is still below the standard required by the court but is considered acceptable for the public interest.

As I understand it, there are very severe consequences within the industry for journalists who break these standards.

The UK has no such consequence.
  • Options
    RobD said:

HaroldO said:

Dair said:

Scott_P said:

Dair said:

de·ni·al
    dəˈnīəl/
    noun
    the action of declaring something to be untrue.

Isn't that what No. 10 did? Ball's in your court now, Dair. :D
    I will be honest now and say that the Corbyn anthemgate left me cold and the nonsense about him and Diane Abbott. Crap like that is fluff and this is just the same.