Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corporeal on the Corbyn excitement factor

123457»

Comments

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,862

think they're missing a trick.

A much more significant difference between them is that, while Corbyn was getting arrested for protesting against apartheid, Cameron was off on a publicly funded jolly in South Africa, with the Conservative Party propping up the Botha regime and condemning Nelson Mandela as a terrorist.

OF course Mandela was never responsible for any terrorist acts, ever. No one ever died because of what Mandela said or did.
    You appear to be at odds with Selfie Dave
  • Options
    Chuka strongly implying Corbyn could well be campaigning for a Leave vote in the EU referendum.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Jim Pickard @PickardJE
    Shadow cabinet reshuffle delay because some senior figures refusing to serve if John McDonnell is shadow chancellor. next.ft.com/9d4fd366-5a33-…

This is a Party that has gone quite mad.

Is this how political parties end, not with a whimper, but with a bang?
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    felix said:

tyson said:

The Labour Party is in really serious trouble tonight. At the moment it looks like the worst possible scenario.

As much as I like Corbyn's demeanour and way of presenting himself, it is just impossible to think of a political party leader who is so out of tune with 90% of it's MP's.

Don't panic - Surbiton and BJO are manning the Corbyn barricades with the latest twitter storm against Cameron. All is not... wait , actually yes, you're right - Labour are well and truly shafted.
    Cameron was pretty stupid to retweet Fallon's statement. It just doesn't read as well as it sounds (particularly when Fallon says it).

Fallon has a quite remarkable voice, with a pitch and tenor which suggests comforting gravitas, it is quite a powerful political weapon. It lets him say some absolute nonsense and people believe it. When the same things are written, their ridiculousness becomes apparent.
  • Options
    SouthAfrica was a rich country.. why did Mandela not build some decent towns with proper facilities..the townships are still there and still shitty..he failed the poorest in Africa and the ones who needed it most..but he and Winnie did ok..along with their buddies
  • Options

Chuka strongly implying Corbyn could well be campaigning for a Leave vote in the EU referendum.

That would make the tory splits over labour look like a tea party. Labour wouldn't survive it.
  • Options

I've got a week left as Guest editor left (not that I'm counting or anything)

Any topics/subjects you'd like me to cover?

Have you perhaps got an unpublished magnus opus on something that we could discuss?
    I have three

1) On AV/Electoral reform/House of Lords reform and the Salisbury-Addison convention

2) Why Scottish Independence is in Labour's best interests

3) Analysing the Ashcroft marginal polling (which is close to 4,000 words)
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    edited September 2015
    Corbyn's stance on the EU seems a lot more sensible than the Labour heavyweights wanting to shout from the rooftops their love for the EU. I wonder where this leaves Alan Johnson leading Labour's Yes campaign. That shouldn't have been arranged until a new leader was selected.

Edit- Corbyn isn't going to campaign for out, he'll just want a proper debate about it. If we leave it was the Conservatives who called this referendum.
  • Options
    I could see labour breaking apart now.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    I don't think anyone can quite believe any of this - it's a giant WTF is going on??

Tony loved to shake the kaleidoscope - but this is insane.
    Sean_F said:

Jim Pickard @PickardJE
    Shadow cabinet reshuffle delay because some senior figures refusing to serve if John McDonnell is shadow chancellor. next.ft.com/9d4fd366-5a33-…

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Corbyn supporting Leave could be just the boost the Remain campaign is looking for.
  • Options
    alex. said:

I was only half joking earlier when i suggested that the SNP might need to lead for the Opposition in Parliament tomorrow...

Just as important is how he can appoint a SSoS Scotland if Ian Murray turns him down.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

saddened said:

A much more significant difference between them is that, while Corbyn was getting arrested for protesting against apartheid, Cameron was off on a publicly funded jolly in South Africa, with the Conservative Party propping up the Botha regime and condemning Nelson Mandela as a terrorist.

OF course Mandela was never responsible for any terrorist acts, ever. No one ever died because of what Mandela said or did.
    Is that why Cameron was doing Selfies at his funeral.

The picture I posted contrasts what the two got up to in the 80;s Corbyn was campaigning against injustice, Cameron was in a group that loved trashing restaurants.
    Point of accuracy -- wasn’t it Mrs Stephen Kinnock who was doing selfies ?
    Yes wife of Labour MP asked Cameron for a pic with Obama and he politely agreed
    . BJowls sees this as a terrible act.....
    I think you miss the point someone up thread was slagging Mandella. I merely asked why was Cameron at his funeral (presumably not just to get a selfie with Obama
    Because he was representing HM government, it's really not difficult, unlike not being able differentiate being in someone's selfie, rather than taking one which you seem to be struggling with.
    Who said taking Selfies I said doing Selfies.

Once youve cleared that up perhaps you can clear up why Apartheid was not all bad as some appear to think.
    selfie - definition of selfie in English from the Oxford dictionary
    www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/selfie
    Definition of selfie in English: noun ( plural selfies ). informal. A photograph that one has taken of oneself, typically one taken with a smartphone or webcam

Single. Person, oneself.... Not group photo. ( perhaps they should have banned the press as well)
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

Should that be - I can see labour breaking apart, now. ?
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

If true,good on him.
  • Options

@JasonCowleyNS
    Corbyn also confirmed to me when I interviewed him that he would not rule out Brexit. To him EU is neoliberal club twitter.com/georgeeaton/st…
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,759

Cameron was fourteen to twenty-four during the 1980s.
    Corbyn was thirty-one to forty-one.

I certainly did some silly things in my teens and early twenties. The difference between Cameron and Corbyn is that Cameron grew out of it, whilst Corbyn continues doing silly things to this day.

He hasn't grown up intellectually, yet Labour have elected him as their leader.

Oh, and for the n'th time today: attacks on Cameron about 'Bullingdon' did not work in 2010 or 2015. They're not going to work in 2020, unless Labour try to link it to another Red Rag-style smear.
    You think the fact of Corbyn protesting apartheid is being silly?

20 years later Cameron supported war in Iraq Jezza didnt.

Silly old Jezza grow up
    I think unchannelled, unfocussed protesting is silly, if that is what he as doing. Going on marches and shouting mostly achieves little except to make the protesters feel good and disrupt the lives of others.

But I was not referring to that, as well you know. Corbyn's atrocious back catalogue is being opened day by day. There is plenty of silliness (and worse) in it.

And yes, he should grow up. It seems as if his mind and opinions have not altered much since he was a teenager.
    Just because he hasn't moved to the right, as middle class people are "supposed" to do! .....
    That's not my issue with him, I just take issue with the idea, pushed byhis supporters, that being so inflexible that you hold every position consistently for 30 years in what is a complex world which sometimes requires complex solutions and u-turns, is a little concerning. I hope he proves more adaptable than some want him to be among hi sown supporters.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    RodCrosby said:

MTimT said:

It is Sputnik News. Treat as Soviet (deliberate use of this word) propaganda unless confirmed by a respectable source.
    I was going to suggest it myself last week. A practical use of these museum pieces.
    http://www.haaretz.com/news/world/1.675732
    Even so, the symbology ...
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

Yes, my syntax could be better sometimes
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Corbyn supporting Leave could be just the boost the Remain campaign is looking for.
    I think this story is a bit premature. Corbyn will have to wait 'til Putin gives him his orders.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    edited September 2015
    Dair said:

alex. said:

I was only half joking earlier when i suggested that the SNP might need to lead for the Opposition in Parliament tomorrow...

Just as important is how he can appoint a SSoS Scotland if Ian Murray turns him down.
    I read somewhere (labourlist?) that SSoS Scotland was one of two posts that had been filled (inc Chief Whip). Whether he'd actually got Murray to agree or not, i don't know.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Dair said:

alex. said:

What did the Tories do when they had no MPs in Scotland ?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    There must be a real chance now that we are going to end up with two Labour parties in the HoC. They may agree on some things but they will have different spokespeople and different views on immigration, the EU, QE, Israel and most economic matters.

This may go beyond the majority of the PLP playing the same destructive and awkward role that Corbyn himself has played for the last 30 years. This is starting to feel like 2 parties.
  • Options

Jim Pickard @PickardJE

Just when you think they have already hit nadir Labour .....
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    edited September 2015
    surbiton said:

Dair said:

alex. said:

Umm theyve always had an MP in Scotland.

Edit: apart from 97 to 01 it seems
  • Options

Have you perhaps got an unpublished magnus opus on something that we could discuss?
    I have three

1) On AV/Electoral reform/House of Lords reform and the Salisbury-Addison convention

What, nothing on why 1980s pop music is far superior to the crap on the radio now?
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

saddened said:

The picture I posted contrasts what the two got up to in the 80;s Corbyn was campaigning against injustice, Cameron was in a group that loved trashing restaurants.
    I think you miss the point someone up thread was slagging Mandella. I merely asked why was Cameron at his funeral (presumably not just to get a selfie with Obama
    Because he was representing HM government, it's really not difficult, unlike not being able differentiate being in someone's selfie, rather than taking one which you seem to be struggling with.

Once youve cleared that up perhaps you can clear up why Apartheid was not all bad as some appear to think.
    Definition of selfie in English: noun ( plural selfies ). informal. A photograph that one has taken of oneself, typically one taken with a smartphone or webcam

Single. Person, oneself.... Not group photo. ( perhaps they should have banned the press as well)
    Was Apartheid all bad?

A photograph that one has taken of oneself.

Seriously you are still arguing Cameron and Obama were not doing Selfies.

You need some teenage Kids
  • Options

surbiton said:

Dair said:

alex. said:

Umm theyve always had an MP in Scotland.
    I didn't think we did between 1997-2001.
  • Options
    alex. said:

Serious question, but what happens if Corbyn simply cant run a opposition?

What actually happens to labour? A split?

Presumably if enough MPs refuse the whip then SNP become the official opposition.
    This debacle really does highlight how utterly moronic the timing of the Labour Leadership Election has been, surely any idiot would know that it would be best for a new leader to be put in place at the end of a parliamentary session or during hiatus, not the week after they return from summer recess.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

RodCrosby said:

MTimT said:

It is Sputnik News. Treat as Soviet (deliberate use of this word) propaganda unless confirmed by a respectable source.
    I was going to suggest it myself last week. A practical use of these museum pieces.
    Rod thinks they were holiday camps.
  • Options
    Dair said:

felix said:

tyson said:

The Labour Party is in really serious trouble tonight. At the moment it looks like the worst possible scenario.

As much as I like Corbyn's demeanour and way of presenting himself, it is just impossible to think of a political party leader who is so out of tune with 90% of it's MP's.

Don't panic - Surbiton and BJO are manning the Corbyn barricades with the latest twitter storm against Cameron. All is not... wait , actually yes, you're right - Labour are well and truly shafted.
    Cameron was pretty stupid to retweet Fallon's statement. It just doesn't read as well as it sounds (particularly when Fallon says it).

Fallon has a quite remarkable voice, with a pitch and tenor which suggests comforting gravitas, it is quite a powerful political weapon. It lets him say some absolute nonsense and people believe it. When the same things are written, their ridiculousness becomes apparent.
    You have just pole vaulted the shark with that one.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited September 2015
    Artist said:

Corbyn's stance on the EU seems a lot more sensible than the Labour heavyweights wanting to shout from the rooftops their love for the EU. I wonder where this leaves Alan Johnson leading Labour's Yes campaign. That shouldn't have been arranged until a new leader was selected.

Edit- Corbyn isn't going to campaign for out, he'll just want a proper debate about. If we leave it was the Conservatives who called this referendum.

The stance of many of the high profile Labour MPs on the EU is quite bizarre. MPs such as Chuka Umunna have stated that there is no conceivable reason why they would ever want to leave the EU. The EU is going from disaster to disaster and they cannot see anything wrong with it.

I think Corbyn would likely campaign to stay in the EU, however, if there was a weakening of employees rights, could see him campaigning to leave. As Dave is avoiding renegotiating anything to do with workers rights this should not be an issue.
  • Options
    TudorRose said:

And if so why?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Sean_F said:

Jim Pickard @PickardJE

Dair said:

felix said:

tyson said:

I think you're talking about something different than I old bean.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    MTimT said:

I have three

What, nothing on why 1980s pop music is far superior to the crap on the radio now?
    Yeah, as long as it features Scritti Politti, Five Star, Japan/David Sylvian, Dollar, and ABC.
  • Options
    :open_mouth:
    MTimT said:

RodCrosby said:

MTimT said:

• Options
    Until now I hadn't thought that defections were possible - now I'm not so sure.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

saddened said:

So a couple on holiday taking a pic of themselves is not a selfie?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    Trump sweeps the board with CBS in the 3 early states

Iowa

Trump – 29
    Carson – 25
    Cruz – 10
    Rubio – 6
    Walker – 5
    Fiorina – 4
    Huck – 4
    Bush – 3
    Santorum – 3
    Jindal – 2
    Kasich – 2
    Paul – 2
    Christie – 1
    Gilmore – 1

NH

Trump – 40
    Carson – 12
    Kasich – 9
    Fiorina – 8
    Bush – 6
    Paul – 6
    Cruz – 5
    Walker – 3
    Christie – 2
    Rubio – 2
    Huck – 1

SC

Trump – 36
    Carson – 21
    Cruz – 6
    Bush – 5
    Graham – 5
    Kasich – 4
    Fiorina – 3
    Huck – 3
    Rubio – 3
    Walker – 3
    Christie – 2
    Jindal – 1
    Paul – 1
    Santorum – 1
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/battleground-tracker-trump-leads-gop-field-in-ia-nh-sc/
  • Options

tyson said:

Whoever would have thought it? This is yet another massive and totally unpredictable twist in the tale of an extraordinary summer.

I'd assumed as an anti-capitalist, anti-western, serially disloyal friend of anti-semites, terrorists and gay-haters Jeremy Corby would act as a unifying figure in whose shadow cabinet mainstream Labour MPs would feel very happy to sit.

The sarcasm...it is too powerful...I cannot take it.

More seriously, Labour members apparently love or don't care about those things, even forgiving for the poor competition Corbyn had in driving them to him. Surely some will be willing to bite their tongues for the sake of the members?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

MTimT said:

I have three

Yeah, as long as it features Scritti Politti, Five Star, Japan/David Sylvian, Dollar, and ABC.
    Rip, Rig and Panic?
  • Options
    Has anyone read the comments on the Guardian's report on Merkel closing her borders tonight. It's like everyone has become a Ukipper and a large number expect Merkel to have to resign. It also like suddenly everyone is agreeing with David Cameron to take refugees only from the camps. So much for the luvvies, Corbyn et al wanting us to open our borders
  • Options

Moses_ said:

saddened said:

Was Apartheid all bad?

Come on, Cameron and Obama were doing selfies with The Danish PM. Leaning in and smiling.

BJO's politics are far from mine, but I think he's right about this.
  • Options

New Thread New Thread

• Options
    kle4 said:

That's not my issue with him, I just take issue with the idea, pushed byhis supporters, that being so inflexible that you hold every position consistently for 30 years in what is a complex world which sometimes requires complex solutions and u-turns, is a little concerning. I hope he proves more adaptable than some want him to be among hi sown supporters.

In other words, it might be possible to have a different opinion today than one had in, for example, February?
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Over those moaning about McDonnell being shadow chancellor, well it can't be Eagle either since she was ridiculed about her statements in 2008 that there was no housing crash when she was Treasury minister.
  • Options
    alex. said:

Have they not already had the arguments over the seats? Also they have occupied the front bench as well.

Could always get a few deck chairs out I suppose for the LOTO and what's left of the ShadCab
  • Options

Moses_ said:

saddened said:

Clearly a terminological minefield. I would say that a couple taking one together is a selfie, as it is for both of them. Participating in someone else's selfie is not the same thing. We must know if she sent the pic on to Obama and Cameron todetermine this!
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    surbiton said:

Dair said:

alex. said:

Appointed carpet baggers. Rifkind for most of the period, IIRC.

It was not.... helpful, to the Tory cause in Scotland.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

saddened said:

Presumably it should be a selvesie.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

There must be a real chance now that we are going to end up with two Labour parties in the HoC. They may agree on some things but they will have different spokespeople and different views on immigration, the EU, QE, Israel and most economic matters.

This may go beyond the majority of the PLP playing the same destructive and awkward role that Corbyn himself has played for the last 30 years. This is starting to feel like 2 parties.

Yes but corbyn and Unite have got control of the structures and the members - very dangerous times for the centre left. Interesting that the LDs are so quiet - this might be a big opportunity for them if they had a half-decent leader. Never mind eh.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Well, in yet another attempt to be fair... There have always been 2 Labour Parties in the HoC. It just that previously we had Corbyn and his 12 disciples as the protesting shouty rebels with the rest supporting the govt. Now we have Corbyn and his 12 disciples as the govt with the rest as the rebels...
  • Options
    Dair said:

surbiton said:

Dair said:

alex. said:

Appointed carpet baggers. Rifkind for most of the period, IIRC.

It was not.... helpful, to the Tory cause in Scotland.
    Rifkind lost his seat. They just created a "constitutional affairs" post
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,755
    Artist said:

Edit- Corbyn isn't going to campaign for out, he'll just want a proper debate about it. If we leave it was the Conservatives who called this referendum.

Corbyn isn't going to campaign for out, he'll just want a proper debate about it. If we leave it was the Conservatives who called this referendum.

so yet another Oppoisition that doesnt oppose.

• Options
    Labour MP, Jess Phillips, says she was brought up to "hate" tories. Now Toby Perkins says he "hates" tories and that is the reason he and many of his colleagues came into politics for. What disgusting people they are. But then I've always known who the real nasty party are.

For all their political differences, I have never heard a tory say they "hate" Labour.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    felix said:

DavidL said:

Yes but corbyn and Unite have got control of the structures and the members - very dangerous times for the centre left. Interesting that the LDs are so quiet - this might be a big opportunity for them if they had a half-decent leader. Never mind eh.
    Indeed. There must be a serious number of Labour MPs who must be thinking that they cannot stay in this madhouse and would be tempted to find an alternative home.

Of course a huge amount of the blame for this mess goes to Cooper, Kendall and Burnham. They all tiptoed around the lunacy that was Corbyn until far too late. As grown up politicians they had a duty to take him on and explain to the membership why his position was complete nonsense. They failed miserably in that duty giving the idiocy that they should not have tolerated in the party free rein to promise gifts for all, SNP style.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Merkel's ALLIES accuse her of an "unparalleled historical mistake" in opening (then closing) Germany's borders.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/13/germany-to-close-borders-exit-schengen-emergency-measures?CMP=share_btn_tw

Ach, Ja.

It does rather paint her along the lines of the Grand Old Duke of York.
    Cameron grows in stature by the minute.
    How exactly does Cameron 'grow in stature' by someone else being crap?
    Einstein explained it best.
    I think you have summed up my drift. But that fact that the point was missed in the first place speaks volumes.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,783

...I also think one thing the Tories could and should do now is rise to the opportunity presented by Corbyn, and offer an olive branch to reasonable and broadly free market liberal Labour MPs on the Blairite wing and right of that, and of course the many thousands of Labour members and activists out there, and invite them across to join the Tories...

When he disavowed Catholicism, James Joyce was asked if he was becoming a Protestant. His reply was "I have lost my faith, not my reason".
  • Options

Moses_ said:

saddened said:

Was Apartheid all bad?

Not arguing just referencing the Oxford English. Mind you I guess Yahoo is more knowledgable on these matters.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

AndyJS said:

I think this story is a bit premature. Corbyn will have to wait 'til Putin gives him his orders.
    You like using the word 'Thick' to posters you disagree with don't you,well shouldn't we use it for your post here.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

AndyJS said:

MTimT said:

I have three

Rip, Rig and Panic?
    Depeche Mode!
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    OMG LadyBucket- or you have obviously got your head stuck in a bucket. You only have to come onto pbCOM for a day to read the vitriol poured on Labour, socialists, lefties.....you would think that we are some worse than pond like scum undeserving to breathe.

Labour MP, Jess Phillips, says she was brought up to "hate" tories. Now Toby Perkins says he "hates" tories and that is the reason he and many of his colleagues came into politics for. What disgusting people they are. But then I've always known who the real nasty party are.

For all their political differences, I have never heard a tory say they "hate" Labour.

• Options
    tyson said:

OMG LadyBucket- or you have obviously got your head stuck in a bucket. You only have to come onto pbCOM for a day to read the vitriol poured on Labour, socialists, lefties.....you would think that we are some worse than pond like scum undeserving to breathe.

Fair comment.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Floater said:

surbiton said:

Floater said:

Indigo said:

Possibly you could stop your dancing now and enlighten us as to which loyalist paramilitary supporters met with a Tory politician, without a bunch of diversionary crap about the security services.

The whole point of Collusion between elements of the State and the Loyalists was that it was all hush-hush, hoosh-hoosh.
    you don't think that perhaps now is about the time to call a halt to this silly trolling?
    Why should it be hush hushed ? We cannot just have IRA bashing only. The other side also killed and maimed. Just because elements of the British state supported them does not make it correct. It is equally wrong !
    Sigh - I know why you want to muddy the waters.

For Sunil I suspect this is just a silly game.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-34238430
    My point remains - my last comment to you on the subject as you are clearly trolling.

You used to be a lot better than this.