Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corporeal on the Corbyn excitement factor

Comments

• Options
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

A big problem in temporarily leaving Schengen is that so many border crossings are unmanned.

What a clusterfook.

What makes you assume it's temporary?

That's what they've said. Maybe this is the end of it, though. That will cause significant problems at road crossings with lorries etc. It's a real mess.

Trucks going through customs is a 'significant problem'? It makes you wonder how US-Canadian trade survives. How did European trade work pre-Schengen? It's not a problem.

I have crossed the US-Canada border in a car. It took hours. You only have to look at Operation Stack on the M2 to see what delays can do. They increase costs significantly.

• Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    What's frustrating about all this is that again and again the UK has been proved right on European matters. We were right on the Euro and we were right on Schengen. From the beginning. But now the rest of the EU is refusing to seriously listen to our very sensible ideas on reform and repatriation now. They've even come up with this situation of a Euro bloc vote to exclude the UK from any decision making. It's like banging our heads against a brick wall trying to make these people see sense.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

It's like our version of the Vatican :wink:

JEO said:

JEO said:

alex. said:

alex. said:

surbiton said:

DavidL said:

Corbyn had discussions with Burnham this afternoon apparently. I still have a suspicion that Burnham will have been saying Shadow Chancellor or I am not playing. If so, it will be an early test of Corbyn's mettle.

I don't think AB will get the Shadow Chancellor's job. I could be wrong.

John McDonnell or Angela Eagle probably. I will be surprised if it is not JM. What is the point of receiving 60% of the votes, then worrying about making an appointment to "please the City".

JC probably thinks the City [ particularly , the Banks ] is the root of the problems facing this country.

Burnham will probably get Foreign Affairs or Home. Hilary Benn has played his cards well by keeping his mouth shut. Also, supporting the Palestinian cause will not be a big problem for him. It might have been for one or two like Rachel Reeves, for instance.
    Bit of a problem with taking on the City. It's this little thing called Magna Carta ;)
    Most of which has been repealed. If they have any sense they'll announce their intention to abolish the City of London corporation immediately. Corbyn has little chance of winning an election. He might as well come out all guns blazing and change the political conversation.
    But that's what's enshrined in Magna Carta. "Immediately" abolishing 800 years of English Law is not exactly a simple matter...
    I'm a mainstream Tory and I'd completely support abolition of the City of London corporation.
    Why?
    It's an extreme anachronism. A corporation with leaders elected by shareholders (including companies) that rules over a territory?

Plus the City's police force is corrupt as hell and the Met should take over.
    Many a true word spoken in jest, Miss Plato. The UK now worships money and the City is, and has been for nearly 2000 years, the centre of money in the UK.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,412

felix said:

A big problem in temporarily leaving Schengen is that so many border crossings are unmanned.

What a clusterfook.

Looks like Merkel' s canonization by the left might have to be put on hold.

I never saw it as a heroic act. More one to address a decreasing population problem. I would not canonise any European leader given the mess the EU is in.

The problem is that she completely ignored the opinion of the people of German. Who are not anti-immigrant in general. They are anti the idea of creating ever larger enclaves of people who aren't German in their social or cultural outlook, and never will be.

Try this (since you are on the left hand side of politics): In the town you live, each year, a larger and larger number of white Americans from the deep south. Complete with take overs of the local churches by groups who explain "Yes, we don't like abortion. But the attacks on abortion clinics have nothing to do with us.". Funded by money from the US. School teachers pressured to stop teaching evolution. Non Christians of the right fundy brand harassed and assaulted in the street......

I would bet that would be the "wrong kind of immigration" for you...

Mind you, I am quite sure you were in favour of the strenuous efforts under the last Labou government to keep refugees from Zimbabwe out. The ones with a mild sun tan, that is.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

What a clusterfook.

That's what they've said. Maybe this is the end of it, though. That will cause significant problems at road crossings with lorries etc. It's a real mess.

Trucks going through customs is a 'significant problem'? It makes you wonder how US-Canadian trade survives. How did European trade work pre-Schengen? It's not a problem.

I have crossed the US-Canada border in a car. It took hours. You only have to look at Operation Stack on the M2 to see what delays can do. They increase costs significantly.

Nowhere near the costs of huge levels of immigration from the world's trouble spots.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    ydoethur said:

felix said:

Ivan Lewis , Jewish NI sec. sacked :)

Wasn't he the one who was, purely by coincidence, accused of sending obscene text messages to a Civil Servant just after he had broken ranks and criticised a Certain Person?

Not that that would have influenced Corbyn, but perhaps Watson was taking a belated revenge.
    Tom Watson vindictive? As if..... :)
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited September 2015
    Has the sauer-kraut broken Schengen..?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Indigo said:

Possibly you could stop your dancing now and enlighten us as to which loyalist paramilitary supporters met with a Tory politician, without a bunch of diversionary crap about the security services.

The whole point of Collusion between elements of the State and the Loyalists was that it was all hush-hush, hoosh-hoosh.
    you don't think that perhaps now is about the time to call a halt to this silly trolling?
  • Options
    So whos the new NI shadow? gerry Adams?
  • Options

felix said:

What a clusterfook.

I never saw it as a heroic act. More one to address a decreasing population problem. I would not canonise any European leader given the mess the EU is in.

The problem is that she completely ignored the opinion of the people of German. Who are not anti-immigrant in general. They are anti the idea of creating ever larger enclaves of people who aren't German in their social or cultural outlook, and never will be.

Try this (since you are on the left hand side of politics): In the town you live, each year, a larger and larger number of white Americans from the deep south. Complete with take overs of the local churches by groups who explain "Yes, we don't like abortion. But the attacks on abortion clinics have nothing to do with us.". Funded by money from the US. School teachers pressured to stop teaching evolution. Non Christians of the right fundy brand harassed and assaulted in the street......

Mind you, I am quite sure you were in favour of the strenuous efforts under the last Labou government to keep refugees from Zimbabwe out. The ones with a mild sun tan, that is.

I have no problem with immigration controls. Sorry.

• Options
    SeanT said:

Tim_B said:

What a clusterfook.

And all of it exacerbated by Merkel's ridiculous decision to "transform Germany" - without asking the voters! - by welcoming 1m immigrants a year, just like that.

She's gone from heroine to object of derision in a week.

Who knows if it will be temporary, but it's already done even more damage to the Cause of Europe. Is there anything worth saving of the EU if Schengen IS gone?
    Now the Poles are wading in, seeking to reset the agenda after Germany's abject u-turn:

Rafal Trzaskowski, secretary of state for European affairs, said Poland was ready to show more solidarity as the migrant crisis has turned into a humanitarian catastrophe.

"If certain conditions are met, we are willing to show more solidarity than so far," he was quoted as saying by tvn24.pl website. "What are the conditions?"

"We have to firmly secure EU's external borders, we have to clearly distinguish economic migrants, accepting whom we cannot afford, from refugees that one needs to help, because they are fleeing death or persecution," he said.

Merkel has lost all credibility, and her high-minded pieties from earlier are in tatters. She should quit and then everyone can start again.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    :open_mouth:

FYI No comment.
    In February 2014, Onwurah spoke in a parliamentary debate she had called on gender-specific toy marketing and lent her support to the campaign Let Toys Be Toys, telling the House of Commons:
    “Before entering Parliament, I spent two decades as a professional engineer, working across three continents. Regardless of where I was or the size of the company, it was always a predominantly male, or indeed all-male, environment, but it is only when I walk into a toy shop that I feel I am really experiencing gender segregation.”[10]
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chi_Onwurah

• Options

Sunil? (only kidding!)
  • Options

felix said:

What a clusterfook.

When Labour have another leadership election, you should stand. You are one of the few Labour people I have met that is willing to be prudent and thoughtful on both economic competence and social problems. The Jezlamists refuse to do it on either, and the Blairites refuse to do it on the latter.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Floater said:

Indigo said:

Possibly you could stop your dancing now and enlighten us as to which loyalist paramilitary supporters met with a Tory politician, without a bunch of diversionary crap about the security services.

The whole point of Collusion between elements of the State and the Loyalists was that it was all hush-hush, hoosh-hoosh.
    you don't think that perhaps now is about the time to call a halt to this silly trolling?
    Why should it be hush hushed ? We cannot just have IRA bashing only. The other side also killed and maimed. Just because elements of the British state supported them does not make it correct. It is equally wrong !
  • Options
    JEO said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

What a clusterfook.

Nowhere near the costs of huge levels of immigration from the world's trouble spots.

I am not arguing in favour of loads more immigration, I am observing that the system constructed in Europe is in a mess. If it's changed, though, it's also going to create a mess. As I said in my original post, it's a total clusterfook. Europe's leaders are a joke.

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Sunil? (only kidding!)
    Sunil O'Reilly?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Corby is doing as expected, non ethically "cleansing" the Labour Party, If you are not at one with him, you are out.
  • Options
    JEO said:

If Germany can throw out Schengen unilaterally with no change in treaties that commit to it, surely we can do the same with free movement?

Just stop letting in unskilled workers and if anyone complains point to Germany ignoring deficit limits in 2005, ignoring the no bailouts clause in 2010 and ignoring Schengen today.

As always when Germany and France break the rules - "it's different"

We are mugs playing by the rules ignored by others.

• Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    ydoethur said:

felix said:

Wasn't he the one who was, purely by coincidence, accused of sending obscene text messages to a Civil Servant just after he had broken ranks and criticised a Certain Person?

Not that that would have influenced Corbyn, but perhaps Watson was taking a belated revenge.
    For all the ridicule from Corbynites, one can see why so many existing Shadow Cabinet members have been announcing their resignation/refusal to serve. Better on the CV than it being publicly announced that you've been sacked!
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    surbiton said:

Floater said:

Indigo said:

Why should it be hush hushed ? We cannot just have IRA bashing only. The other side also killed and maimed. Just because elements of the British state supported them does not make it correct. It is equally wrong !
    None of it has been IRA bashing. It has been Corbyn bashing! That's the whole point.
  • Options
    Corbyn and Spurs winning in the same weekend?

Unlikely but happy.
  • Options
    The BBC do a piece on what happens to migrants in Germany, talking about when they get benefits and when they get the right to work, but decline to mention when they get access to the rest of the EU:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34175795
  • Options

felix said:

What a clusterfook.

Good for you. The issue at stake here is the quality of immigrants. Interestingly, this is a very strong matter of belief among first and second generation immigrants here!

Try asking a Chinese man how he feels about the "Asian" tag that is used by white officialdom. Or a Ghanaian about the prospect of more Saudi funded comedy clubs.
  • Options
    JEO said:

felix said:

What a clusterfook.

When Labour have another leadership election, you should stand. You are one of the few Labour people I have met that is willing to be prudent and thoughtful on both economic competence and social problems. The Jezlamists refuse to do it on either, and the Blairites refuse to do it on the latter.

Me and Labour are separated. I don't think folk like me are welcome in Jezza's party.

• Options
    Floater said:

JEO said:

If Germany can throw out Schengen unilaterally with no change in treaties that commit to it, surely we can do the same with free movement?

Just stop letting in unskilled workers and if anyone complains point to Germany ignoring deficit limits in 2005, ignoring the no bailouts clause in 2010 and ignoring Schengen today.

As always when Germany and France break the rules - "it's different"

We are mugs playing by the rules ignored by others.

It's one of these irregular verbs:

"We are good Europeans
    You are breaking the rules"
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    alex. said:

ydoethur said:

felix said:

For all the ridicule from Corbynites, one can see why so many existing Shadow Cabinet members have been announcing their resignation/refusal to serve. Better on the CV than it being publicly announced that you've been sacked!
    You can't throw me out, I quit.

Except of course Lewis, in a moment of sheer brilliance, has announced his own sacking and therefore looked a bit of a double whammy.

When McCluskey talked about 'talent' in the Labour party, and you remember that Lewis was regarded as one of their abler ministers, you do begin to worry...
  • Options
    edited September 2015

JEO said:

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

What a clusterfook.

I am not arguing in favour of loads more immigration, I am observing that the system constructed in Europe is in a mess. If it's changed, though, it's also going to create a mess. As I said in my original post, it's a total clusterfook. Europe's leaders are a joke.

I was not disagreeing with you or criticising you. I was merely adding my own thoughts to the point you were making.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited September 2015
    Watching the complete chaos and stupidity in the EU right now re immigrants it is definitely an OUT for me..and I live in Italy..
  • Options
    :lol:

Has the sauer-kraut broken Schengen..?

• Options

Unlikely but happy.

No discussions about football or cricket.

England gave up today like the French at The Maginot Line
  • Options
    edited September 2015

JEO said:

felix said:

What a clusterfook.

Me and Labour are separated. I don't think folk like me are welcome in Jezza's party.

Nope, you need to be ideologically at one with the new great leader. I doubt you felt welcome under Brown either.
  • Options
    Mr. JEO, still waiting for the BBC to refer to the polling on what the British public think.
  • Options
    Excellent piece Corporeal, hope to see you back producing more pieces
  • Options

JEO said:

The EU has now lost all pretence of being a coherent unit with laws and rules and that.

Time to just leave them to it.

Amen brother.

• Options

SeanT said:

Tim_B said:

What a clusterfook.

And all of it exacerbated by Merkel's ridiculous decision to "transform Germany" - without asking the voters! - by welcoming 1m immigrants a year, just like that.

She's gone from heroine to object of derision in a week.

Who knows if it will be temporary, but it's already done even more damage to the Cause of Europe. Is there anything worth saving of the EU if Schengen IS gone?

A single market is a good thing in theory. And you can't have that without a lot of harmonisation. But free movement of peoples is going to get harder and harder to maintain.

The working population of Europe is falling. The aged are getting more numerous ! Health costs soaring. Who will pay for all this ?
  • Options
    Should the 100% win record whilst Jezza is LotO continue for Spurs, I may have to alter my opinion on the special one. Also helping me to my best week of the season in the PB Fantasy Premier League too!
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Any word from Austria re its borders yet? One might think that to avoid the country becoming a refugee camp with the sound of music they are going to have to introduce strict controls too.

The Schengen agreement did, I am fairly sure, have a get out clause for use in a temporary state of emergency, which is I presume what Germany is relying on now (unless they have decided to ignore the rules as they have done in the past when it suited them). However how temporary is temporary? Schengen is surely dead in the water and with it a great plank of the EU ever closer union nonsense.
  • Options

Unlikely but happy.

No worries, West Ham play tomorrow!

Or the Pakistanis in December 1971? :lol:
  • Options

Mr. Ears, I do wonder if the People's Assembly are unaware we had an election a short time ago.

I believe they feel the electorate made a mistake.

They of course know what is best for us all.

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    JEO said:

The usual left reason for abolishing the City of London is a combination of

1) It's all a gigantic conspiracy
    2) They have lots of assets that should be sold to do stuff.£1.3 billion IIRC

I think they are upset that the City hasn't lost the lot - instead they use the income to fund expenditure.

As to the comment about the City of London police being corrupt - compared to Met?? Hah

The Met does not have a weirdly close relationship with the Church of Scientology.
    http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2008/may/20/1
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited September 2015

Unlikely but happy.

Coming home late via Euston last night post Proms tut Park, it was truly unastonishing how many Man U shirts were arriving back in London on the trains. Not so many scousers.

Re cricket - Hales sent Roy to the lions to save his place and that was that.
  • Options

Should the 100% win record whilst Jezza is LotO continue for Spurs, I may have to alter my opinion on the special one. Also helping me to my best week of the season in the PB Fantasy Premier League too!

Everton also has a 100% record. So Burnham didn't do too badly. I am not sure if JC is into these kind of things. I could be wrong !
  • Options
    So Ivan Lewis has been sacked by Corbyn as part of his bridge building. Who will get the shadow NI role now? I imagine Labour will become more overtly pro-Nationalist/Republican.
  • Options

Unlikely but happy.

Coming home late via Euston last night post Proms tut Park, it was truly unastonishing how many Man U shirts were arriving back in London on the trains. Not so many scousers.

After all London is the base of Manchester United followed by Singapore, KL, Bangkok, .......
  • Options

Unlikely but happy.

I could have gone to the match alas decided to put PB first on such a momentous day.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, the French, give up? Sacre bleu!
  • Options
    felix said:

Sunil? (only kidding!)
    Sunil O'Reilly?
    Sùníl Ó'Prásánnàn?

:lol:
  • Options

So Ivan Lewis has been sacked by Corbyn as part of his bridge building. Who will get the shadow NI role now? I imagine Labour will become more overtly pro-Nationalist/Republican.

I don't know much about Ivan Lewis. Could you tell me more about the implications of what sacking him means?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

felix said:

Not aware of Lewis being jewish. But in line with Corbyn. Watson and Unite probably involved.
  • Options

Unlikely but happy.

I could have gone to the match alas decided to put PB first on such a momentous day.
    just as well you missed both the footie and the cricket in your patch this weekend
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited September 2015
    JEO said:

felix said:

What a clusterfook.

I recall Southam Observer saying (rightly, IMO) that he didn't think the deficit was as big a deal as the Tories claimed, and that the cuts were going too far. That was the kind of argument you guys were denouncing as reckless not so long ago. :p

If nothing else, even if Corbyn goes horribly wrong, one of the good side-effects is that people have been reminded what ACTUAL left-wing politics looks like, so maybe in future people won't be so laughably hysterical about such incredibly mild policies that Miliband was proposing.
  • Options

Mr. JEO, still waiting for the BBC to refer to the polling on what the British public think.

The BBC prefers to use a sample of the luvvies and professional protestors as a representative sample of the UK's views.
  • Options

Unlikely but happy.

just as well you missed both the footie and the cricket in your patch this weekend
    I went to the cricket.

Sooner spend eternity stuck in a lift with Owen Jones, Katie Price and a guy with diarrhoea.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

JEO said:

I think they are upset that the City hasn't lost the lot - instead they use the income to fund expenditure.

As to the comment about the City of London police being corrupt - compared to Met?? Hah

The Met does not have a weirdly close relationship with the Church of Scientology.
    Yes, I have heard of many such stories that have not got reported in the mainstream press. For me, it can only be explained by Scientology donating large amounts of money to the City of London police. Given the large amounts of crimes the Church of Scientology has carried out itself around the world, I do not trust the City of London police to monitor them objectively.

And, of course, the City police are known as "the best police force money can buy".
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    JEO said:

The BBC do a piece on what happens to migrants in Germany, talking about when they get benefits and when they get the right to work, but decline to mention when they get access to the rest of the EU:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34175795

The Germans are already saying they don't want to pay the benefits to migrants who should be allocated to other countries. This could take a long time and be very messy.

Merkel obviously only used half her head.

• Options
    alex. said:
    This film should be mandatory viewing for all on PB irrespective of politics. It is desperately worrying and the everuone needs to address just how this circle is squared, if indeed it can be
  • Options
    Mr. Betting, must admit, I didn't tick the box in the last census to have my opinion placed in the safekeeping of Emma Thompson[sp].
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    surbiton said:

Floater said:

Indigo said:

I suppose that when the British State jailed thousands of loyalist terrorists, it was all an elaborate form of double-bluff.

However hard you try, you're never going to persuade the British public that the IRA were the good guys in this conflict and the security forces were the bad guys.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Also, WHEN are regular polls going to start again!?! If nothing else, they would've atleast been useful to see trends (especially to see a before/after reaction to Jez winning).
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    TSE- ffs comrade- you had tickets for the Liverpool Utd match, and you put pbCOM first. Really. How sad is that?

Unlikely but happy.

• Options
    tyson said:

TSE- ffs comrade- you had tickets for the Liverpool Utd match, and you put pbCOM first. Really. How sad is that?

Unlikely but happy.

It was my birthday too.
  • Options
    I did very full political YouGov yesterday - so hopefully it'll be published.
    Danny565 said:

Also, WHEN are regular polls going to start again!?! If nothing else, they would've atleast been useful to see trends (especially to see a before/after reaction to Jez winning).

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

tyson said:

Unlikely but happy.

It was my birthday too.
    Where better place to spend it than PB??
  • Options
    JEO said:

I don't know much about Ivan Lewis. Could you tell me more about the implications of what sacking him means?

A Blairite. Offered to stay on in shadow cabinet given current problems in NI. Corbyn said no.

• Options

Unlikely but happy.

I went to the cricket.

Sooner spend eternity stuck in a lift with Owen Jones, Katie Price and a guy with diarrhoea.
    ouch - what a bday weekend that is.... don't look at the fantasy table then when it's updated as you may start having to worry about that too...
  • Options

I did very full political YouGov yesterday - so hopefully it'll be published.

Danny565 said:

It would be surprising if Labour didn't tick up a bit in the polls now they have a new leader.

If they don't make progress now, it's difficult to imagine they ever will.
  • Options

JEO said:

A Blairite. Offered to stay on in shadow cabinet given current problems in NI. Corbyn said no.

And Ivan Lewis is Jewish.

The optics are horrible on so many levels.
  • Options

That's true. It's telling that Corbyn won handsomely among supporters, affiliates and direct members. This was all after heavy coverage in the media of his closeness to and praise of anti-Semites. It's clear most of the Labour party does not actually care about tolerance and anti-racism - they only want to use them as necessary as weapons against the Right.

Perhaps a modern, tolerant thoughtful centre-left party can arise to replace them.
  • Options
    Corbyn sacks Ivan Lewis (Sky)
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    JEO said:

Imams, priests, rabbis and other religious figures will have to enrol in a “national register of faith leaders” and be subject to government-specified training and security checks in the Home Office’s latest action on extremism.

The highly controversial proposal appears in a leaked draft of the Government’s new counter-extremism strategy, seen by The Telegraph, which goes substantially further than previous versions of the document.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/11860993/Imams-will-have-to-register-and-face-security-vetting-under-Home-Office-plans.html
    I saw that report. I know I don't get on with our new "priest in charge" (the CofE no longer does vicars and rectors apparently) but to make the silly bat go on some government training scheme seems very unfair. Then there are those like SquareRoot's local chap, been vicar of the same parish for more than thirty years and suddenly he has to be trained and approved by the government and put on a register. Why?

In Soviet Russia and in China priests were/are only allowed to practice their vocation if licensed by the government. What is the UK coming to when we feel we have to follow their example? If a religious figure is breaking the law then prosecute them (rather than aid and abet as the Met Police did with the fellow with the hooks) there are plenty of offences to choose from.
    Because plenty of Muslim clerics are teaching intolerance in difficult to prove ways.

If they're inciting crime, they should be prosecuted. Otherwise, this is a dreadful infringement of religious freedom.
  • Options
    It's a bit difficult to keep up with who is doing liveblogs on the Shadow Cabinet. The guardian were doing one, then the BBC, but they all keep getting bored and clocking off. Anyone got one that might produce some interesting inside info before things are announced?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

We might be getting the Ipsos Mori political monitor this week.
  • Options
    JEO said:

Alistair said:

JEO said:

Yes, I have heard of many such stories that have not got reported in the mainstream press. For me, it can only be explained by Scientology donating large amounts of money to the City of London police. Given the large amounts of crimes the Church of Scientology has carried out itself around the world, I do not trust the City of London police to monitor them objectively.

And, of course, the City police are known as "the best police force money can buy".
    To be fair - try calling certain other religions "a cult" in public. If you don't value your freedom

I don't doubt that the City of London police have an issue with corruption. But the idea that the Met is better and merging with them would help the situation.

To give a simple example - the Met worked very hard on the electoral problems in Tower Hamlets when I lived there. Losing that much evidence, NFAing so many complaints about intimidation, creating accusations of racism against anyone who wanted their postal ballot to vote with.... That must have taken thousands of man hours.
  • Options

Unlikely but happy.

I went to the cricket.

ouch - what a bday weekend that is.... don't look at the fantasy table then when it's updated as you may start having to worry about that too...
    I'm having to go to Scotland this week as well.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    Sean_F said:

JEO said:

Imams, priests, rabbis and other religious figures will have to enrol in a “national register of faith leaders” and be subject to government-specified training and security checks in the Home Office’s latest action on extremism.

The highly controversial proposal appears in a leaked draft of the Government’s new counter-extremism strategy, seen by The Telegraph, which goes substantially further than previous versions of the document.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/11860993/Imams-will-have-to-register-and-face-security-vetting-under-Home-Office-plans.html
    I saw that report. I know I don't get on with our new "priest in charge" (the CofE no longer does vicars and rectors apparently) but to make the silly bat go on some government training scheme seems very unfair. Then there are those like SquareRoot's local chap, been vicar of the same parish for more than thirty years and suddenly he has to be trained and approved by the government and put on a register. Why?

In Soviet Russia and in China priests were/are only allowed to practice their vocation if licensed by the government. What is the UK coming to when we feel we have to follow their example? If a religious figure is breaking the law then prosecute them (rather than aid and abet as the Met Police did with the fellow with the hooks) there are plenty of offences to choose from.
    Because plenty of Muslim clerics are teaching intolerance in difficult to prove ways.
    If they're inciting crime, they should be prosecuted. Otherwise, this is a dreadful infringement of religious freedom.

Agree 100%.

The idea of a requirement to "register" to be a cleric is extraordinary governmental over-reach.

Incitement to commit a crime, on the other hand, is a serious offence. And we should not let religious scruples (or concern about community) get in the way of prosecuting it to the fullest extent of the law.
  • Options
    JEO said:

That's true. It's telling that Corbyn won handsomely among supporters, affiliates and direct members. This was all after heavy coverage in the media of his closeness to and praise of anti-Semites. It's clear most of the Labour party does not actually care about tolerance and anti-racism - they only want to use them as necessary as weapons against the Right.

Perhaps a modern, tolerant thoughtful centre-left party can arise to replace them.
    You are right, but it will not happen. Blair was well aware of the true nature of the party he was leading. But nobody forced him to.
  • Options

JEO said:

Looks like a pretty generous offer that has been chucked back in his face. To put it mildly, now is not a good time to have either someone new getting up to speed on the issues, or to start playing party politics with the role.

So who has Corbyn got?

• Options

JEO said:

Even I am shocked to hear that.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    So where is Roger tonight?

Merkel puts up the border controls abandoning those she called to come to Europe. Tends of thousands abandoned across the continent in other countries that has Bourne the brunt.
    Refugees mixed in with migrants, economic migrants and no doubt the odd terrorist.

Cameron called for aid to be directed at the camps and this country is doing so. Also taking refugees direct from the camps as this government stated should happen to avoid the terrible journeys they are undertaking and the payments to the people traffickers.

Roger called this government useless said they were doing nothing and was praising Merkel and the Germans to high heaven just a few days ago.

I would suggest he sticks to the Oscars ( he is actually very good at that)
  • Options
    Poor old Dave.. Defeat snatched from the jaws of victory.. :Leicester 3 Villa 2
  • Options

JEO said:

Yep. Hopefully that is a coincidence. That we are even contemplating it tells you something about Jezza's friends - real world and online.

• Options
    edited September 2015

JEO said:

Yep. Hopefully that is a coincidence. That we are even contemplating it tells you something about Jezza's friends - real world and online.

I doubt it's got any relevance. More likely he's putting somebody in place that Sinn Fein approve of. No doubt he's being told that DUP/UUP are playing politics and wants to boost Sinn Fein's position in Parliament.

• Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Looks like a long night of phone calls for corbyn. Is there a risk he actually believes his own hype ? Havent yet been convinced that anything happened so far won't result in an absolute disaster for labour.
  • Options

JEO said:

From the Guardian:
    When Labour was selecting a new Scottish leader last year, and Watson backed Neil Findlay over Jim Murphy, Ivan Lewis, a member of the shadow cabinet, openly attacked Watson. He tweeted: “I want the party to choose leaders in an open democratic way. Your problem is, this is one leadership election you can’t manipulate”.
    I sense Watson's presence behind this. There's clearly been a bit of needle there for a long while.

Of course, it probably doesn't help that Lewis is just about everything Corbyn despises.
  • Options

Any word from Austria re its borders yet? One might think that to avoid the country becoming a refugee camp with the sound of music they are going to have to introduce strict controls too.

The Schengen agreement did, I am fairly sure, have a get out clause for use in a temporary state of emergency, which is I presume what Germany is relying on now (unless they have decided to ignore the rules as they have done in the past when it suited them). However how temporary is temporary? Schengen is surely dead in the water and with it a great plank of the EU ever closer union nonsense.

Yes, but Schengen is applicable outside the EU.
  • Options
    Ivan Lewis is Jewish for those on this site who are not aware.

I wonder if he was sacked because Mr Corbyn's 'friends' in Sinn Fein 'suggested' it might be a good idea?
  • Options

JEO said:

I imagine Jezbollah is only comfortable with the "right sort of Jews".
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    Lewis sacked and so the purge begins
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    It doesn't matter who Labour put in as Shadow NI Secretary.

They will be sidelined anyway if need be to nothing but the effective political equivalent of a person with a placard standing at a gate. Its a well worn path in this part of the world.

Case Study: Kevin McNamara.
  • Options
    What are the odds of Tom Watson being the next leader ? Take it seriously.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Lewis sacked and so the purge begins

All rather odd - after yesterday’s resignations, Corbyn’s shadow cabinet continues to shrink.
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    edited September 2015

Ivan Lewis is Jewish for those on this site who are not aware.

I wonder if he was sacked because Mr Corbyn's 'friends' in Sinn Fein 'suggested' it might be a good idea?

No surprise in the slightest that my local MP has been sacked. He's Jewish, and the southern part of this seat is the most Jewish outside London. So I think Lewis might be relieved - given Corbyn's pronouncements, he needs to be anti-Jeremy if he harbours any hope of retaining the seat in 2020.
  • Options

JEO said:

It's Tom Watson related, but you're right, if we even need to have this conversation.

http://bit.ly/1vEMkgA
  • Options
    alex. said:

JEO said:

Looks like a pretty generous offer that has been chucked back in his face. To put it mildly, now is not a good time to have either someone new getting up to speed on the issues, or to start playing party politics with the role.
    So who has Corbyn got?
    Maybe Corbyn thinks that he knows more about the NI situation from his friends there in Sinn Fein? Even more worrying.

On so many levels Corbyn is a real threat to the UK.
  • Options
    Kevin McGuigan murder: Sinn Féin's Bobby Storey says IRA is 'not coming back'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-34238430
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    edited September 2015
    Is anyone asking the question that even if Corbyn did become PM, would he be able to get any of his more "radical" policies through the House of Commons.

eg Leaving NATO - there would surely be an enormous number of Lab MPs who wouldn't vote for that under literally any circumstances.

Even his People's QE might well struggle to get through.

• Options
    SeanT said:

Guido reporting that Chris Bryant has also been purged.

That nice Mister Corbyn is exterminating all the righties and centrists and Blairites. He really is a socialist firebrand, albeit with lots of vests.

It looks grimmer by the day for Labour. The far left is seizing the party.

Bryant had said he would not serve under Corbyn, then changed his mind. Too late, mate !
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @surbiton

'Roy Hattersley gives his opinion'

Does anyone apart from yourself give a toss about what this clapped out rust bucket thinks ?