Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB competitions results

Comments

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

PlatoSays said:
    I think Tory target seats may be more appropriate if Corbyn stays in charge
    List here if you want it:

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/2015guide/conservative-targets/

Could see the first ten going blue if Corbyn is Labour leader.
    Indeed, in 1983 Foot won 209 seats, Ed Miliband won 232 seats in 2015. That means the Tories could win at least 20 seats from Labour if Corbyn bombs. As well as retaking the seats Ed Miliband gained the likes of Bridgend, Walsall North, Wrexham were all Labour in 2010 and 2015 but Tory in 1983
    In 1983 they also won 41 seats in Scotland out of 72 - a lead of 20 over the Conservatives. That's a redoubt that has gone. Bridgend, Wrexham, possibly Delyn all look pretty vulnerable to me anyway (although if Delyn becomes more marginal, it might make Chester and some of the Liverpool seats safer).

It is certainly not inconceivable that Labour could end up with below 190 seats with Corbyn as leader. It depends on where the vote is distributed. My guess would be it will be heavily concentrated in Liverpool, parts of London, the Durham/Tyneside area, West Yorkshire and the South Wales Valleys, with a fairly solid handful in Birmingham and Manchester as well. But I can't really see many other places that a left-wing Labour party will even hold its own, never mind advance. In 1983, they held just three seats south of the Wash/Bristol Channel line outside London (Bristol South, Thurrock and Ipswich - and they lost the last two in 1987) - any bets on them getting none at all south of Birmingham in 2020?
    The 2020 election has the prospect of being a total shambles for Labour far in excess of present reasoned predictions.

With Corbyn "leading" Labour they will be reduced to redoubts in London and their stronger heartlands. The suburbs will have gone as will many industrial towns of the midlands and north. Scotland will remain lost and the Tories will chip away in Wales.

It will be a very harsh lesson for Labour to learn .... again, but learnt it they must.

• Options
    tyson said:

Nick- I can't help but think that Corbyn's election today is anything but good for British politics. So what, he wants to change PMQ's. I'm enjoying today's thread here immensely.

I love the fact that the Labour party is led by someone who really harboured no long term ambitions. Corbyn is really quite remarkable- he is debunking and tearing up all the known rules on British politics. I don't know where its all heading, but I'm enjoying the Corbyn ride, and I'm well and truly on his bus.

tyson said:

That was 1980's Labour party politics for you. My own constituency party split in 1984 because we couldn't cope with each other.

AndyJS said:

"I was a long-standing member of the North Islington Labour party when he was selected in February 1982 and I still bear the scars. Corbyn’s victory was achieved as a result of a relentless campaign involving all strands of the ultra-left. Local working-class trade unionists were hounded out of the party and zero tolerance shown to anyone of a more moderate opinion. Following Corbyn’s victory, and the debacle of the 1983 general election, the remodeled North Islington Labour party took vicarious pleasure in supporting the miners’ strike. They were comfortable with the working class providing they could keep them at a distance.

No one ever looked forward to going to a meeting of the North Islington Labour party. There was a running fight between two hostile factions that frequently spilled over into aggression: on one occasion police were summoned to calm a situation that had arisen at the annual general meeting of the women’s section."

http://www.progressonline.org.uk/2015/09/10/the-emergence-of-jeremy-corbyn/

Very different now. Supporters of Liz Kendall got friendly cheers at the Islington N nomination meeting, with a couple of comments on the same lines as Jeremy's remarks today - "we don't agree with you but good on you for standing up for what you think".
    The bus is heading for a cliff.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    JackW said:

Roger said:

The Tories have every reason to be afraid. I can't remember any leader of any party with the possible exception of Blair as looking 'NEW' and nothing is quite as desirable as something new.

A particularly virulent virus might also be "NEW".

I feel your pain Roger but recognising your illness will be the first stage to recovery ....

It does concern me that the enthusiasm of Mr Corbyn's supporters may be infectious. It could quite easily turn into something that will be very hard to counter.

What he says may well sound quite compassionate and appealing. If the downside/dark side doesn't get aired in the media, or comes across as 'knocking the ordinary bloke', who knows what may happen?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

PlatoSays said:
    I think Tory target seats may be more appropriate if Corbyn stays in charge
    List here if you want it:

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/2015guide/conservative-targets/

Could see the first ten going blue if Corbyn is Labour leader.
    Indeed, in 1983 Foot won 209 seats, Ed Miliband won 232 seats in 2015. That means the Tories could win at least 20 seats from Labour if Corbyn bombs. As well as retaking the seats Ed Miliband gained the likes of Bridgend, Walsall North, Wrexham were all Labour in 2010 and 2015 but Tory in 1983
    In 1983 they also won 41 seats in Scotland out of 72 - a lead of 20 over the Conservatives. That's a redoubt that has gone. Bridgend, Wrexham, possibly Delyn all look pretty vulnerable to me anyway (although if Delyn becomes more marginal, it might make Chester and some of the Liverpool seats safer).
    That means Foot only won 168 seats in England & Wales.

Super Ed won 231!
    If you want to take it further:

In 1983 Foot won 147 seats in England. Ed Miliband won 206.

However, there is no way on God's green earth that Corbyn could possibly hold 206 seats in England. 147 would be more like it.

Added to a likely 15-20 seats in Wales and we come up with the sort of desperate numbers Hague and Major achieved.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    tyson said:

Nick- I can't help but think that Corbyn's election today is anything but good for British politics. So what, he wants to change PMQ's. I'm enjoying today's thread here immensely.

I love the fact that the Labour party is led by someone who really harboured no long term ambitions. Corbyn is really quite remarkable- he is debunking and tearing up all the known rules on British politics. I don't know where its all heading, but I'm enjoying the Corbyn ride, and I'm well and truly on his bus.

tyson said:

That was 1980's Labour party politics for you. My own constituency party split in 1984 because we couldn't cope with each other.

AndyJS said:

"I was a long-standing member of the North Islington Labour party when he was selected in February 1982 and I still bear the scars. Corbyn’s victory was achieved as a result of a relentless campaign involving all strands of the ultra-left. Local working-class trade unionists were hounded out of the party and zero tolerance shown to anyone of a more moderate opinion. Following Corbyn’s victory, and the debacle of the 1983 general election, the remodeled North Islington Labour party took vicarious pleasure in supporting the miners’ strike. They were comfortable with the working class providing they could keep them at a distance.

No one ever looked forward to going to a meeting of the North Islington Labour party. There was a running fight between two hostile factions that frequently spilled over into aggression: on one occasion police were summoned to calm a situation that had arisen at the annual general meeting of the women’s section."

Very different now. Supporters of Liz Kendall got friendly cheers at the Islington N nomination meeting, with a couple of comments on the same lines as Jeremy's remarks today - "we don't agree with you but good on you for standing up for what you think".
    You do realise that he doesn't have a majority and therefore can't change PMQs. The Tories will not play ball, and if Corbyn doesn't turn up, he'll be treated like Roy Hattersley on HIGNFY.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    Does anyone believe that there is any possible way that this ends without the PLP forming a new party at Westminster (probably with more than half of the current PLP joiing it)?

I can't see any way to avoid this, not with such a staunch backing for Corbyn by Labour members.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

JackW said:

Roger said:

The Tories have every reason to be afraid. I can't remember any leader of any party with the possible exception of Blair as looking 'NEW' and nothing is quite as desirable as something new.

I feel your pain Roger but recognising your illness will be the first stage to recovery ....

It does concern me that the enthusiasm of Mr Corbyn's supporters may be infectious. It could quite easily turn into something that will be very hard to counter.

What he says may well sound quite compassionate and appealing. If the downside/dark side doesn't get aired in the media, or comes across as 'knocking the ordinary bloke', who knows what may happen?
    Over five years? If he had won months before a GE, then possibly. I have said before on here that there will be some kind of JC honeymoon with voters.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,007
    edited September 2015
    SeanT said:

Dair is right. The Falklands stuff is venomous for Corbyn. Hideous optics. That was a just war defending British subjects against invading Fascists. And the soixante-retard wants to give the islands BACK

I will probably rejoin the Tory Party in the new year, although Corbyn is unlikely to win he is too dangerous to be dismissed either, now the LDs have picked Farron they are well to my left and UKIP is too populist and isolationist for me
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited September 2015
    Malc

"http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/people-are-sharing-these-images-of-what-corbyn-and-cameron-were-up-to-in-the-1980s--ZygEn9bkZUl"

Thanlks for this. I'm starting to like Corbyn more and more. I suppose a 48 sheet on Cambridge Circus is out of the question?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Agree with the point re Argentinian aggression. However, not quite so sure about the second.

I think your analysis is slightly flawed but, to be honest, I don't really want to spend time trying to defend the Sinn Fein IRA because your post is only slightly flawed and in general I have nothing but disdain for them.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I'm beginning to suspect that we could see something like

Con 40
    Lab 20
    UKIP 20
    LD 20

(Or, more like, 38, 18, 18, 18... or something...)

at the next election.

Essentially, I believe the Labour Party could lose the patriotic working class vote to UKIP, and the metropolitan europhiles to the LibDems, leaving them with the core union, and ethnic vote. (There is probably quite a large patriotic working class vote that UKIP could grab, but I'm not sure Farage is the man to get it, especially as it is likely to be quite Northern.)

On the other hand the chance of a leave vote has just ticked up a bit.

I'm not sure Corbyn leading the charge is going to have that big a positive impact!

I think "events" will determine the result of the EU vote. Out will likely win if we see Grexit or Greek implosion, a worsening of the Syria refugee crisis, or Hunchman's up and coming Eurozone debt crisis mark 3. (The last of which I'm not a big believer in: there are many, many other places I see as much more vulnerable to a debt crisis than the Eurozone right now.)

Alternatively, if Syria is largely forgotten by next summer, and the Eurozone economies continue to climb out of their hole, and the UK is doing 3% GDP growth... then it'll likely be "In". Why rock the boat?

I agree Corbyn won't lead the charge. But that's the point, any of the other three would have fought the corner. Now "remain" looks a bit drify - no Labour, weak LDs and fronted by ex new labourites plus if Cameron fronts it too much, Corbyn could be tempted to put some effort in to helping him lose.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    rcs1000 said:

Con 40
    Lab 20
    UKIP 20
    LD 20

at the next election.

Essentially, I believe the Labour Party could lose the patriotic working class vote to UKIP, and the metropolitan europhiles to the LibDems, leaving them with the core union, and ethnic vote. (There is probably quite a large patriotic working class vote that UKIP could grab, but I'm not sure Farage is the man to get it, especially as it is likely to be quite Northern.)

LD's on TWENTY? Or is that a typo and you meant TWO or perhaps ZERO?
  • Options
    SKY News showing the good old clenched fist accompanying the Red Flag. Brilliant. And Corbyn's first act? To proclaim pacifism in the face of aggression.

If all Kendall can offer is silly giggles in the face of this then there is not much future for her.
  • Options
    There is no reason why 1983 is a magical floor for the Labour Party that it can not go below. That has been assumed as surely they'd never have worse circumstances than that but Corbyn isn't Foot. He's worse than Foot.

There's every possibility that Corbyn could do worse than Foot did in England and Wales, and as bad as Miliband did in Scotland. Labour 150-175 seat band looks quite possible.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Roger said:

HYUFD

"http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/people-are-sharing-these-images-of-what-corbyn-and-cameron-were-up-to-in-the-1980s--ZygEn9bkZUl"

Thanlks for this. I'm starting to like Corbyn more and more. I suppose a 48 sheet on Cambridge Circus is out of the question?

For Christ's sake Roger, your inability to publicly stick to an opinion for more than a couple of days is worse than Tyson. It's not as if the discovery that Corbyn was a prominent anti-apartheid campaigner can have come as a surprise to you!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Dair is right. The Falklands stuff is venomous for Corbyn. Hideous optics. That was a just war defending British subjects against invading Fascists. And the soixante-retard wants to give the islands BACK

I agree.
  • Options
    On another note - Dair's quite a good poster when he strays away from Scotland and posts sense :)
  • Options

SeanT.. slight correction.. the idiot wants to give them away.. not back...and fuck the residents,

Lol, nearly ended up defending the IRA now defending SeanT, what's wrong with the world!

The Argies gave the islands AWAY - to us.

So specifically, it is correct to say we would be giving them BACK.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Or has just driven under a low bridge and sliced off what remained of the top deck.

OT What is going on with Vanilla? It keeps letting me in and the comment box disappears. I'll have more email addresses than a Nigerian spammer at this rate, if I have to create a new sign-on everytime this happens.

tyson said:

tyson said:

AndyJS said:

• Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    Cameron defeated two hopelessly inadequate Labour leaders who were not not credible, certainly not charismatic, and not likeable.
    Now, you have Mr Corbyn- sure a lightning rod for the pbCOM Tory brigade who appear to be stuck in the past of the Falklands and the IRA.

Corbyn is likeable, and charismatic and believable. The Tories need a different schtick than simply talking about the Falklands and the IRA.
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:
    Cameron has been labeled as an out of touch posh old Etonian for the past decade. Oh look, he just won a majority. People don't care.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Jonathan said:

rcs1000 said:

Con 40
    Lab 20
    UKIP 20
    LD 20

at the next election.

If Cameron still leads the Tories, Corbyn Labour and Farage UKIP and post EU ref I could see something like

Tories 35%
    Labour 25%
    UKIP 20%
    LD 10%

There are not enough metropolitan, centrist europhiles for the LDs unfortunately and Farron is no Roy Jenkins
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Dair said:

Does anyone believe that there is any possible way that this ends without the PLP forming a new party at Westminster (probably with more than half of the current PLP joiing it)?

I can't see any way to avoid this, not with such a staunch backing for Corbyn by Labour members.

Would English defectors be welcomed by the SNP, as an affiliated party of the centre left? It is not as absurd as some of the things that we are seeing!
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    RodCrosby said:

Sky News @ 6: "From loose cannon to Labour Leader..."

From loose cannon to Labour loser.
  • Options

There is no reason why 1983 is a magical floor for the Labour Party that it can not go below. That has been assumed as surely they'd never have worse circumstances than that but Corbyn isn't Foot. He's worse than Foot.

There's every possibility that Corbyn could do worse than Foot did in England and Wales, and as bad as Miliband did in Scotland. Labour 150-175 seat band looks quite possible.

The electorate has changed markedly in the 30 years. Old, solid working class support for Labour could be relied to some extent in Foot's day, whoever the leader. I don't think that applies anymore as Crudas keeps trying to tell them all.
  • Options
    Dair said:

SeanT.. slight correction.. the idiot wants to give them away.. not back...and fuck the residents,

Lol, nearly ended up defending the IRA now defending SeanT, what's wrong with the world!

Did they not give them BACK to us? I'm sure there was a British settlement there before Argentina even existed.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Dair said:

I can't see that happening. In the 1980s, Foot won by a fairly slender margin on a second ballot and there was an element of 'we wuz robbed' on the right of the Labour party. There was also, with Thatcher heading right, space to occupy on the vacated centre ground that would attract MPs, voters and financial support.

Corbyn has won by a huge margin, Osborne and Cameron are pretty well dominating the centre despite all the divisive rhetoric on both sides, the fate of the SDP and LDP is stark in everyone's minds, and the amount of money available for a breakaway party would be minuscule.

A more likely scenario is some kind of semi-independent caucus within the Labour movement itself, along the lines of the Monday Club in the Conservatives. But that of course would be unlikely to last long now the threat of deselection hangs over all MPs if boundary changes go through.

The only realistic hope for such people is if Corbyn's leadership is pretty short. As @david_herdson noted earlier, he's getting on a bit. However, he looks pretty fit and more worryingly, appears to have swallowed his own messianic rhetoric. I don't think he'll go while he can talk.

Which means short of some sudden and unforeseen accident or disaster, which I don't think anyone here would wish on a political opponent, Labour's moderates are quite simply fucked.

EDIT - in reply to your other post, fair enough, we'll disagree. You could very well be right - certainly the view of the thread is with you not me - but Kirchner's about to leave office and I'm not convinced whoever succeeds her will need the Falklands issue as a distraction tactic so much as she did, so I think it may fade just as NI becomes a crisis again. I wouldn't have accused you of defending the IRA!
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

... it's also about having the communication skills, charm, and charisma of Blair 1994 - 2002. Kendall has none of these things.

In 1994 you were a babe in arms, in 2002 you were eight years old. How do you know?
    I saw Blair speak to an audience of East Midlands activists in 96. He had real charisma then, and a clear vision. Pity he sold his soul to the devil, he had real potential.
    Wotcha, Doc, I also heard Blair speak at about that time and I agree he had charisma and projected a vision. In the same way that a confidence trickster does. I had him marked down as a snake oil salesman from then on. Future events only proved me correct so at least I was not left feeling disappointed at the slimy git's self-serving actions and lies. Many were, which possibly accounts for the over-reaction and that, maybe, has led to today's appointment.

Mind you, I think when Corbyn finds out what it means to play with the big boys his reputation as a fearless champion of the left might take a bit of a hammering to. It isn't difficult to imagine Corbyn whilst LOTO leading a demonstration against something outside parliament whilst the topic is actually being discussed inside. I wouldn't hesitate too long before I put a wager on Corbyn's main strategy being that of brave Sir Robin.
    The most difficult confidence tricksters to deal with are those that believe their own lies. I think Blair was and remains one of those. Such liars are much more convincing and create false facts to sustain their lies, such as the infamous dodgy dossier.

The Chilcott debate is going to spit-roast Blair from both sides of the house when it is finally out.
    One hopes so. However, I am not convinced by Chilcotts' competence or integrity - the report would have been published years ago if he had both in any significant measure.

Going back to the 1990s and the Labour operation. I think history will eventually show what a malignant presence Campbell and Mandelson were on the the body politic. I left the Civil Service in 1996 but even then their presence was being felt, bullying didn't come into it. Lots of people at senior level were cowed by that duo's threats and manipulations and in the media it was, from what I have heard, even worse.

Blair and his dreadful acolytes, which included Brown and his gang, did enormous and probably irreparable harm to the the political fabric of the UK. The most ghastly thing though is not that Campbell and Mandelson have personally made a great deal of money from their bullying and lies, it is that that Cameron seems to be happy to play on the field that they created.
  • Options

Dair said:

Did they not give them BACK to us? I'm sure there was a British settlement there before Argentina even existed.
    They didn't give them away, Argentina didn't exist before they became British. We took them off the Spanish.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Agree with TSE/Dair/SeanT here - the Falklands is toxic for Corbyn far more so than anything Irish or Israeli where it is 6 of one Tec in a lot of people's eyes
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Dair said:

I think the HM Governments view is that the islands were never not British during the war.
  • Options

SKY News showing the good old clenched fist accompanying the Red Flag. Brilliant. And Corbyn's first act? To proclaim pacifism in the face of aggression.

If all Kendall can offer is silly giggles in the face of this then there is not much future for her.

4.5% means Kendall's career as a frontbencher is over.
  • Options
    What is Corbyn's view about independence for Scotland?

And how about his view on Gibraltar. does he want to give them to Spain?
  • Options
    alex. said:

Dair said:

They didn't give them away, Argentina didn't exist before they became British. We took them off the Spanish.
    But then I'm sure Argentina had a prison colony on there at one time that we booted off - this being the main substance in their claim.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

I will probably rejoin the Tory Party in the new year, although Corbyn is unlikely to win he is too dangerous to be dismissed either, now the LDs have picked Farron they are well to my left and UKIP is too populist and isolationist for me
    Welcome back to the Big Tent.

Some might even call it a Marquee......
  • Options
    tyson said:

Cameron defeated two hopelessly inadequate Labour leaders who were not not credible, certainly not charismatic, and not likeable.
    Now, you have Mr Corbyn- sure a lightning rod for the pbCOM Tory brigade who appear to be stuck in the past of the Falklands and the IRA.

Corbyn is likeable, and charismatic and believable. The Tories need a different schtick than simply talking about the Falklands and the IRA.

RobD said:

malcolmg said:
    Cameron has been labeled as an out of touch posh old Etonian for the past decade. Oh look, he just won a majority. People don't care.
    Falklands isn't really the past if Corbyn got anywhere near becoming Leader. The only question is whether Argentina would have to invade to get hold of them.

As for the IRA, well apparently they haven't gone away...
  • Options
    If CCHQ created a horror tickbox as long as both your arms - Corbyn must be close to marking every one of them with his illustrious 40yrs in politics.

He's is indeed far worse than Foot. In fact, I think it's a bit of an insult to compare them at all.

• Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    tyson said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:
    The 'past' of the IRA? Have you not seen what's going on in NI?
  • Options
    Dair said:

4.5% means Kendall's career as a frontbencher is over.
    After the way she's been treated I wouldn't blame her if she defected. Would the Lib Dems take her? They currently have zero female MPs.
  • Options

I've a vague memory of reading he's happy for a "negotiated settlement" on Gibraltar. Probably some sort of shared sovereignty.
  • Options

alex. said:

Dair said:

But then I'm sure Argentina had a prison colony on there at one time that we booted off - this being the main substance in their claim.
    THere was an 18th century British colony, which failed. The Argentians put an unofficial colony on there in the 1830s, which was evicted by the Royal Navy. Which side had the right of it in that particular dispute has bedevilled the question of who owns the Falklands ever since.
  • Options
    Dair said:

They are going to need some backers with deep pockets. But they can at least walk away from the debts....

J K Rowling better get writing the Harry Potter prequels!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Welcome back to the Big Tent.

Some might even call it a Marquee......
    Indeed, I briefly flirted with Clegg's LDs in 2015 at the national level but am now back in the Cameron camp
  • Options
    edited September 2015

If CCHQ created a horror tickbox as long as both your arms - Corbyn must be close to marking every one of them with his illustrious 40yrs in politics.

He's is indeed far worse than Foot. In fact, I think it's a bit of an insult to compare them at all.

I think Foot might agree. OK, he was CND, because he genuinely believed nuclear weapons were evil. Fair enough, so do many people. But he certainly wasn't a dogmatic pacifist and he was as firm in opposing the Argentinian invasion as ever Thatcher was, backing the war with commendable national loyalty and no little risk to his own position within his powerbase. Moreover, he was a man of great ability and experience, and even his opponents liked and often respected him however flatly he disagreed with him.

Corbyn, however...
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited September 2015
    Does the election of Corbyn mean:

a) He is outside the tent pissing in

b) He is inside the tent pissing out or

c) He is inside the tent pissing in?
  • Options
    Re The Falklands.
    The keep the Falklands British page on Facebook has always said that if any future PM tried to do that.
    The islanders would use the right to self determination to declare independence.
  • Options
    tyson said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:
    Do we have polls of the public on Corbyn's charisma and likability ?
  • Options

Dair said:

Would English defectors be welcomed by the SNP, as an affiliated party of the centre left? It is not as absurd as some of the things that we are seeing!
    Well it is certainly possible but it would interfere with the attempts to build alliances with parties like Yorkshire First, the Northumbrians Mebyon and Plaid. Although in all honesty none of those other parties show a coherent enough political strategy to make it worth their while. Mebyon and Plaid are abject failures, building YF or the Northumbrians will take decades.

Sturgeon and the SNP are resolutely pragmatic, they might be willing to do so. There may be avenues of communication at Westminster but I suspect that many of the friendships that may have developed between the new SNP MPs and Labour would be with those more likely to stick with a Corynbite PLP than those who will split.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    edited September 2015
    tyson said:

Plenty of time for that...

The main "schtick" will of course be that you can't trust this extreme left-wing nutcase with your money, your job, your home, your savings, etc...

But we've got a few years of fun to get out of the way in the meantime.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,444
    edited September 2015

a) He is outside the big tent pissing in

b) He is inside the big tent pissing out or

c) He is inside the big tent pissing in?

d) It's the equivalent of pissing on the electorate with your flies still zipped up

It gives you a warm feeling but repels everyone else.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    AnneJGP said:

JackW said:

Roger said:

Sometimes we look for good even when we know the end beckons.

Labour will retain a rump of support - the faithful, the obdurate, the deluded and Nick Palmer. For the rest Corbyn will be seen as a man completely out of his depth, belonging to and adhering to an age long gone. A man of dubious political friends and with "friends" in the party who consider him to be a complete liability.

It really is as bad as it might be for Labour. There are no redeeming features at all. The Labour selectorate decided on the nuclear option and ground zero is coming and the fallout for the Labour party will be cataclysmic.

• Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

I knew going to the pub was a bad mistake for him...
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    Pulps- the Falklands conflict occurred before you were born. It's like bringing up the Boar War to JackW. Why is it so toxic?
    Pulpstar said:

Agree with TSE/Dair/SeanT here - the Falklands is toxic for Corbyn far more so than anything Irish or Israeli where it is 6 of one Tec in a lot of people's eyes

• Options
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Indeed I might join Tory Party for the first time. It would be nice if they gave a special rate for pensioners. Do they?
    Corbyn is leading a take over of the Labour Party by the red flag waving the fanatics of the stop the war stop the austerity stop the G7 stop the globalised world I want to get off foam flecked crazies.
    He does not want to govern Britain he wants to destroy it.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

AnneJGP said:

JackW said:

Roger said:

Over five years? If he had won months before a GE, then possibly. I have said before on here that there will be some kind of JC honeymoon with voters.
    I hope you are right & that it will only be a honeymoon.

My father fought in the Battle of the Bore, when the communists were trying to take over the Trades Unions. An ordinary mill worker, doing an ordinary job, doing his best for his fellow-workers through his Trade Union.

And gradually (maybe quite quickly) it became a battleground. Meetings in smoke-filled rooms, mind-numbingly prolonged past all reason until all the normal chaps got fed up & went home. Then the real decisions were made, by people with an agenda which cared nothing for the mill-workers they supposedly represented.

You see, first there are the chaps who sound so reasonable, so sympathetic; but behind them come the people whose only interest in democracy is to overturn it.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

rcs1000 said:

Con 40
    Lab 20
    UKIP 20
    LD 20

at the next election.

If Cameron still leads the Tories, Corbyn Labour and Farage UKIP and post EU ref I could see something like

Tories 35%
    Labour 25%
    UKIP 20%
    LD 10%

There are not enough metropolitan, centrist europhiles for the LDs unfortunately and Farron is no Roy Jenkins
    Farage needs to go asap and get replaced by someone like Paul Nuttall.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    The party spread suggests this website is nowhere near as biased to the right as some claim.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    JackW said:

AnneJGP said:

JackW said:

Roger said:

Labour will retain a rump of support - the faithful, the obdurate, the deluded and Nick Palmer. For the rest Corbyn will be seen as a man completely out of his depth, belonging to and adhering to an age long gone. A man of dubious political friends and with "friends" in the party who consider him to be a complete liability.

It really is as bad as it might be for Labour. There are no redeeming features at all. The Labour selectorate opted for the nuclear option and ground zero is coming and the fallout for the Labour party will be cataclysmic.

Well, we'll see. Not sure Corbyn plans to stay until 2020.

At present Labour has the advantage that in England there is isn't a viable alternative on the Left.

• Options

I don't know but d) The Tories are just pissing themselves....
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

alex. said:

Dair said:

THere was an 18th century British colony, which failed. The Argentians put an unofficial colony on there in the 1830s, which was evicted by the Royal Navy. Which side had the right of it in that particular dispute has bedevilled the question of who owns the Falklands ever since.
    I thought the 1830s attempt that was quickly removed was by the Spanish not Argentinians.
  • Options
    Lucky Gut 83 just for your info .. The UK went to war with Argentina to regain the Islands after the invasion..we lost a lot of good people in that needless conflict..initiated by Argentina as a diversion from its dire political situation....then you were born..
  • Options

Re The Falklands.
    The keep the Falklands British page on Facebook has always said that if any future PM tried to do that.
    The islanders would use the right to self determination to declare independence.

Well, it's a point of view. However, since their separation from Argentina would end tomorrow were the RAF presence at Mount Pleasant to be withdrawn, or the Royal Navy be unable to guarantee a quarantine zone, it would be rather an empty gesture.

I agree with Dair about the Falklands to the extent that they will be very unhappy at Corbyn's election. I just don't think events in Argentina make it a serious issue at the moment.
  • Options

Dair said:

French and British

Spanish and British

Spanish

Abandoned

Argentinian (as United Provinces of the Rio de la Plata)

British
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

... it's also about having the communication skills, charm, and charisma of Blair 1994 - 2002. Kendall has none of these things.

In 1994 you were a babe in arms, in 2002 you were eight years old. How do you know?
    I saw Blair speak to an audience of East Midlands activists in 96. He had real charisma then, and a clear vision. Pity he sold his soul to the devil, he had real potential.
    Wotcha, Doc, I also heard Blair speak at about that time and I agree he had charisma and projected a vision. In the same way that a confidence trickster does. I had him marked down as a snake oil salesman from then on. Future events only proved me correct so at least I was not left feeling disappointed at the slimy git's self-serving actions and lies. Many were, which possibly accounts for the over-reaction and that, maybe, has led to today's appointment.

Mind you, I think when Corbyn finds out what it means to play .
    The most difficult confidence tricksters to deal with are those that believe their own lies. I think Blair was and remains one of those. Such liars are much more convincing and create false facts to sustain their lies, such as the infamous dodgy dossier.

The Chilcott debate is going to spit-roast Blair from both sides of the house when it is finally out.
    One hopes so. However, I am not convinced by Chilcotts' competence or integrity - the report would have been published years ago if he had both in any significant measure.

Going back to the 1990s and the Labour operation. I think history will eventually show what a malignant presence Campbell and Mandelson were on the the body politic. I left the Civil Service in 1996 but even then their presence was being felt, bullying didn't come into it. Lots of people at senior level were cowed by that duo's threats and manipulations and in the media it was, from what I have heard, even worse.

Blair and his dreadful acolytes, which included Brown and his gang, did enormous and probably irreparable harm to the the political fabric of the UK. The most ghastly thing though is not that Campbell and Mandelson have personally made a great deal of money from their bullying and lies, it is that that Cameron seems to be happy to play on the field that they created.
    Er, in 1996 Blair Mandelson and Campell were in opposition, but I agree. Politicisation of management in the NHS and Police were similarly affected. Armed forces too from what I hear.

It looks as if I am not going to be able to sneak off to Duxford next week, though sorely tempted. May try the Jerome trick, but unlikely to be granted shore leave. Have a good time!
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

rcs1000 said:

Con 40
    Lab 20
    UKIP 20
    LD 20

at the next election.

Tories 35%
    Labour 25%
    UKIP 20%
    LD 10%

Yes, if Out loses Nuttall would be better placed to lead UKIP forward as Sturgeon was the SNP
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974
    edited September 2015
    Dair said:

malcolmg said:
    The problem is that being a posh boy is not really toxic, it's certainly not toxic outside of Labour's core vote.

On the other hand, while there is genuine public support for some Corbyn positions such as Palestine, Trident, even support for Irish Nationalism has some non-negligible support given the UKs open door to Irish immigrants for 100 years.

But stuff like giving the Falklands to the Argies is going to be utterly toxic, it is genuinely treasonous.
    Where did he say he would do that if elected PM. He cannot help if Argentina jump on the bandwagon.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

Indeed I might join Tory Party for the first time. It would be nice if they gave a special rate for pensioners. Do they?
    Corbyn is leading a take over of the Labour Party by the red flag waving the fanatics of the stop the war stop the austerity stop the G7 stop the globalised world I want to get off foam flecked crazies.
    He does not want to govern Britain he wants to destroy it.
    Indeed, I would ask local parties if they do a pensioner rate
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

rcs1000 said:

Con 40
    Lab 20
    UKIP 20
    LD 20

at the next election.

Tories 35%
    Labour 25%
    UKIP 20%
    LD 10%

If Cameron still leads the Tories in 2020, 40% would be the minimum level of support he would get.

• Options
    Dan Hodges and a Labour lady I didn't know, were talking about the complete trap they were now in as a Party. The MPs and the membership totally at odds with each other - and there's no prospect of a way out of this, as the vote was overwhelming.

They're talking two different languages.
    JackW said:

AnneJGP said:

JackW said:

Roger said:

It really is as bad as it might be for Labour. There are no redeeming features at all. The Labour selectorate decided on the nuclear option and ground zero is coming and the fallout for the Labour party will be cataclysmic.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Sandpit said:

If the LOTO does not turn up for PMQs then the PM can also decline to turn up..This must surely deprive all of the leaders of the other Political Parties from asking the PM pertinent questions...Back benchers will also be denied asking the PM direct and this would deprive their constituents of having their concerns put to the top politician. Not acceptable..Get your scared butt in there Corbyn or take the enormous flak..

Cameron will be there - and enjoying every damn minute of it!

As you say the primary role of PMQs is to allow the Members access to the PM directly, often to raise something local to their constituents and/or something of which the PM may not be aware that the Member thinks would be useful for him to know.

It is important for Parliament as a whole that this session continues, the Speaker will undoubtedly point at the empty bench where the LotO should be and call half a dozen more backbenchers (half of whom would be from the government side).
    That's my understanding.

The rules of PMQ are that the Speaker starts with the first listed MP and works through the list. The convention is that the LOTO has the right to ask up to 6 questions at whatever point he* wants. He doesn't have to ask all of these (and I think Miliband played arounda bit with asking fewer than 6 to try and throw Cameron off his stride). So presumably if Corbyn doesn't turn up or doesn't want to ask questions then the Speaker will just get further down the main list than he would otherwise do.

* I would have put he/she but this is the Labour Party we are talking about
  • Options
    The Argentines never had a colony on the Falklands. The islands have been British since before Argentina ever existed.
  • Options

Lucky Gut 83 just for your info .. The UK went to war with Argentina to regain the Islands after the invasion..we lost a lot of good people in that needless conflict..initiated by Argentina as a diversion from its dire political situation....then you were born..

I know the history of the era very well thanks, I have read Margaret Thatcher's accounts among others. I was not referring to Argentina 'giving us the islands back' after the Falklands conflict I was referring to them giving us the islands when we booted their rotten penal colony off there back in the day.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Dair said:

French and British

Spanish and British

Spanish

Abandoned

Argentinian (as United Provinces of the Rio de la Plata)

British
    Yes, I thought so.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

alex. said:

Dair said:

I thought the 1830s attempt that was quickly removed was by the Spanish not Argentinians.
    No, definitely Argentina. It was a curious set-up all around - it seems to have been part privateer colony, part prison camp, part whaling and sealing business. Technically, it was the work of one man - however, the Argentinians, possibly retrospectively, declared him Governor and said he had been ruling the islands for them when the British kicked them out, so they could issue a formal protest.
  • Options
    alex. said:

I've a vague memory of reading he's happy for a "negotiated settlement" on Gibraltar. Probably some sort of shared sovereignty.
    Pretty much the only thing Corbyn opposes is Scottish Independence.

The man is a cretin.
  • Options

Dan Hodges and a Labour lady I didn't know, were talking about the complete trap they were now in as a Party. The MPs and the membership totally at odds with each other - and there's no prospect of a way out of this, as the vote was overwhelming.

JackW said:

AnneJGP said:

JackW said:

Roger said:

In a war between a party membership and MPs, the membership will always win long term.
  • Options

d) PB pissing themselves with laughter.

• Options
    Charles... and the MSM and others will absolutely monster him.. and rightly so..
  • Options

He doesn't like Scotland
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    Dair said:

Surely that staunch backing ensures they won't form a new party at Westminster? Corbyn has massive backing, so they won't carry support over, better to play the long game and wait him out. If he's a disaster, better to rebuild from a base that has hopefully learned the lesson.
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:
    Indeed. I'm bemused such labels are treated as though they are politically significant, when at best they are merely amusing. I'm not saying people love Cameron, but clearly being a posh git does not ruin one's chances. I think Burnham tried too hard and inauthentically to go after that perceived weakness, what with all the Bullingdon Boys stuff, but it's just weak and lazy stuff. Plenty else to go after Cameron about.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Pulps- the Falklands conflict occurred before you were born. It's like bringing up the Boar War to JackW. Why is it so toxic?

Pulpstar said:

It's probably the only Conflict since 1945 where the politics are very clear cut and the "bad guys" obvious.
  • Options
    tyson said:

Pulpstar said:

"Boar War" ??? - you telling big hairy porkies now ?!?

• Options
    edited September 2015
    JEO said:

The party spread suggests this website is nowhere near as biased to the right as some claim.

I think the right are just noisier, particularly at the moment, which in fairness is actually the opposite to what is usually claimed about the internet and media in general being more left than reality.
  • Options

tyson said:

tyson said:

AndyJS said:

Sore-Loserman!
  • Options
    Dair said:

tyson said:

Pulpstar said:

It's probably the only Conflict since 1945 where the politics are very clear cut and the "bad guys" obvious.
    Iraq
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited September 2015
    @tyson

'The thing is that Cameron is such an arrogant twot that he'd refuse to be questioned by anyone other than the LOTO.'

Surprised by your ignorant comment.

It's nothing to do with Cameron,it's been the case whether Brown,Blair,Major,Thatcher or any other PM.

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    rcs1000 said:

Con 40
    Lab 20
    UKIP 20
    LD 20

at the next election.

Inclined to agree.

There's no way that a lot of what's left of the core working class vote in Labour will accept Corbyn's views on foreign policy and immigration. It's just a question of where they land.

It won't just be the WWC either.

To imagine that the ethnic vote is uniform is flawed. There are plenty within this voting set that have no sympathy with some of the problems that emanate from the middle east and Islamic affairs, or from open door immigration.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    At what point do the rumours start on how much of the vote that Corbyn won of long standing members rather than the Jonathan come latelies?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

JackW said:

AnneJGP said:

JackW said:

Roger said:

It really is as bad as it might be for Labour. There are no redeeming features at all. The Labour selectorate opted for the nuclear option and ground zero is coming and the fallout for the Labour party will be cataclysmic.

Well, we'll see. Not sure Corbyn plans to stay until 2020.

At present Labour has the advantage that in England there is isn't a viable alternative on the Left.

There doesn't need to be a viable alternative on the left for the Tories to remain in government.

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    JackW said:

AnneJGP said:

JackW said:

Roger said:

I wonder what the former "Tories For Palmer" think of Dr Nick now endorsing Comrade Corbyn?

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Er, in 1996 Blair Mandelson and Campell were in opposition, but I agree. Politicisation of management in the NHS and Police were similarly affected. Armed forces too from what I hear.

It looks as if I am not going to be able to sneak off to Duxford next week, though sorely tempted. May try the Jerome trick, but unlikely to be granted shore leave. Have a good time!

Doc, I know who was in opposition in 1996, that was sort of the point - the malignant influence was already being felt.

As per the air show: its already too late. In fact it was already too late last Monday when I tried to buy tickets for Mr. Jessup and myself - all sold out. Bummer, and I had an overnight pink ticket too.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

At what point do the rumours start on how much of the vote that Corbyn won of long standing members rather than the Jonathan come latelies?

THought he had over 50% of all real members excluding all the new 3 bob ones at 54%, so just sore losers.
  • Options
    Hodges:

Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges 47m47 minutes ago
    Dear Corbyn supporters. You won. Congratulations. But some of us think it's a disaster for Labour. And we're going to say so. Sorry.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046

Mind you, I think when Corbyn finds out what it means to play .

I don't know the whole truth but I have to say this is one of my favourite political TV moments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-QxBTR9_HU
  • Options
    The Spanish name "Malvinas" actually comes from the French "Malouines" - meaning from (St.) Malo in France.

So anyone using the term "Malvinas" is actually indicating their recognition of French sovereignty!

Perish the thought! :lol:
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,336

Hodges:

Dear Corbyn supporters. You won. Congratulations. But some of us think it's a disaster for Labour. And we're going to say so. Sorry.

So what else is new?
  • Options
    Bobby Jindal thinks Corbyn is a World Leader.

https://twitter.com/BobbyJindal/status/642719686518398976
  • Options
    tyson said:

Pulpstar said:

Because outside of very rare circles, it's an easily understood issue where our intervention was heroic and unquestionably in the right (whatever qualms some people may have about the legalities of the situation, or whether it would be better for the Falklands to be under Argentine rule or not, them invading and occupying puts us on the moral high ground). Conceding ground to a nation which did that (albeit in different times) and never shuts up about how awful we are for not talking to them about giving them over ever since, is to tell the people that a rare instance of a foreign policy area which seems simple and easy to be patriotic and in the right, is in fact wrong, and thus toxic.
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618

JackW said:

AnneJGP said:

JackW said:

Roger said:

Jack as TOTY I really do respect your views,you kept the faith before the GE, and you were correct then, and you are correct now.
    Today has been a wonder to behold, and we have only just begun.

• Options
    No sore losers in Scotland then.. except the 45ers.
  • Options

Hodges:

So what else is new?
    Abba tribute bands.