Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PB competitions results

Comments

• Options

PMQs will be like 15 to 1 - Bercow asks Corbyn 'Question or Nominate?'

Or it will be more like 8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Blueberry said:

Congratulations from Argentina:

Cristina Kirchner ‏@CFKArgentina 7m7 minutes ago
    Argentina congratulates @jeremycorbyn on his Labour leadership victory

Jeremy Corbyn is a great friend of Latin America and shares, in solidarity, our demands for equality and political sovereignty.

Has Putin checked in yet?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    edited September 2015
    Estobar said:

HUYFD maybe stop and listen to yourself and to the two of them. Corbyn is a firebrand: an ideologue who has stood up for what he believes in and passionately defended unpopular causes, not a former army officer establishment figure.

You're viewing it from a technical perspective as an anorak inside the westminster bubble, not taking a step back and thinking (if I may say).

IDS was non Oxbridge, non major public school, he was not that establishment. He was also a backbench rebel as Corbyn was who had never been a senior frontbencher. As for the 'westminster bubble' poll after poll showed that outside the 'westminster bubble' Burnham polled best with the public, Corbyn last, just as in 2001 poll after poll showed Ken Clarke polled best with the public, IDS last, yet Labour, like Tory members have put their fingers in their ears and refused to listen. Instead of moving towards the centre after an election defeat they have decided to rerun the last election campaign just even more aggressively, in the Tories case on an anti EU, anti immigration platform, in Labour's case on an anti austerity, anti City of London platform
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''Jeremy Corbyn is a great friend of Latin America and shares, in solidarity, our demands for equality and political sovereignty.''

OMFG.

And this is just the start. Think of the questions tame tories can table in the house during PMQs on the back of this.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Pauly said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

alex. said:

I must have missed something, but when and where did Corbyn say he wouldn’t be turning up to PMQ’s?

I think I can recall him saying something it being a piece of knockabout farce (or something like that) rather than serious politics, but I think most of us would agree that it can often be that.

Suggestion trailed in the Sun this morning, and confirmed on some tweets shown on the last thread.
    Oh, in the Sun. And confirmed by tweet!

What’s that phrase about not hanging a dog on that evidence?
    Many official announcements are made on Twitter thesedays I believe. Wasn't the last Cabinet reshuffle done via tweet? So while I do not use the medium myself, it can be pretty solid evidence depending on the origin.
    Depending on the origin. Hmmmm
    I don't recall which twitter account 'confirmed' this. If it was connected to Corbyn's team, then it is surely sound.
    twitter.com/Gregstweet/status/642678841249538048

" I've [Corbyn] been in touch with the speaker's office to ask about this."

Nothing about what the Speaker has to say in reply...

Speaker Bercow is all in favour of modernising Parliament and is practically a Labour shill these days, he'll let Corbyn do it.

King Cole, every PM does that. And there's a difference between not turning up because you're engaged on official business elsewhere, and because you can't be bothered.

I realise I’m in a small minoreity on this, so I won’t go on much longer (if at all) but would it be too unreasonable for a LotO who realised that he wasn’t going to be there too long (on age grounds) to let other members of his team have a go?
    Certainly not unreasonable, more unfathomable !!

• Options
    alex. said:

Blueberry said:

Congratulations from Argentina:

Argentina congratulates @jeremycorbyn on his Labour leadership victory

Jeremy Corbyn is a great friend of Latin America and shares, in solidarity, our demands for equality and political sovereignty.

Has Putin checked in yet?
    Yes, it can't long. I wonder if Kim Jong Un is on Twitter...?
  • Options
    taffys said:

''Jeremy Corbyn is a great friend of Latin America and shares, in solidarity, our demands for equality and political sovereignty.''

OMFG.

And this is just the start. Think of the questions tame tories can table in the house during PMQs on the back of this.

Can the Prime Minister confirm he will never hand over the Falklands like the Leader of the Opposition who is too cowardly to appear at PMQs
  • Options
    Suggestion If the LOTO declines to appear at PMQs..because he v cannot be arsed ..and the PM is in the HOC chamber ,then the six Labour questions should be distributed to the other senior Political Parties...See how long Labour BBs would run with that one
  • Options
    Corbyn has just said he won;t bomb ISIS.

Is that.....er......official labour party policy now....???????

• Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

Pauly said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

alex. said:

I must have missed something, but when and where did Corbyn say he wouldn’t be turning up to PMQ’s?

I think I can recall him saying something it being a piece of knockabout farce (or something like that) rather than serious politics, but I think most of us would agree that it can often be that.

Suggestion trailed in the Sun this morning, and confirmed on some tweets shown on the last thread.

Many official announcements are made on Twitter thesedays I believe. Wasn't the last Cabinet reshuffle done via tweet? So while I do not use the medium myself, it can be pretty solid evidence depending on the origin.
    I don't recall which twitter account 'confirmed' this. If it was connected to Corbyn's team, then it is surely sound.

Speaker Bercow is all in favour of modernising Parliament and is practically a Labour shill these days, he'll let Corbyn do it.
    Will he still be so Labour now the key influence dragging him that way has left him after publicly embarrassing him?
  • Options

So good that he can't even answer the questions put to him? To be honest it would be nice if there was excuse to get rid of the whole shambles.

He answers the questions so well (and asked them so well for the first five years) that he's won the public's support not once but twice.

It is easy to mock PMQs without putting a rival alternative up but I know people all over the globe who look on at our system enviously. Many political Americans would love to see their government held to account every week in the same manner.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited September 2015

tyson said:

The thing is that Cameron is such an arrogant twot that he'd refuse to be questioned by anyone other than the LOTO. And Osborne- well he's another arrogant little preppy boy, so unless it was the Deputy he'd refuse too.

So we'd be left with the farcical situation of the opposing teams agreeing who matches up- a kind of pre questions Top Trumps where no party could top the other. I'm trying to think what would happen if Jez sent in Angela Eagle....it would show how little the Tories thought of the person they'd try to match up with her.

Pauly said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

alex. said:

Oh no, Dave will face whatever IRA condoning loony lefty nutbag cowardly Corbyn will send.

Dave's been doing PMQs for ten years, he's pretty good at it.
    So good that he can't even answer the questions put to him? To be honest it would be nice if there was excuse to get rid of the whole shambles.
    If Corbyn had his way he'd probably abolish the office of PM, and replace it with a rotating Convenor of the Peoples' Commissariats...

He's already said he's not moving to Downing Street, if elected, hasn't he?
  • Options
    Palestinian media reaction

BBC Monitoring
    Posted at 17:14
    In Gaza, the Hamas-run Al-Risalah website welcomed Jeremy Corbyn's win, saying he supports the Palestinian cause. "He is one of the most prominent British figures who voiced solidarity with the Palestinian cause and declared his rejection of the war on Gaza," the website said.
  • Options
    alex. said:

HYUFD said:

Estobar said:

HYUFD said:

Jeremy Corbyn mentioned a lengthy recent conversation with Ed Miliband and praised his leadership of the Labour Party and the 'great Ralph Miliband'. In the same way as Tory members elected IDS in part in tribute to Hague and because they felt Portillo and Clarke were rejecting his leadership so it seems Labour members have elected Corbyn in part as tribute to Ed thus opposing the attempts of Liz Kendall and others to move away from his leadership

HUYFD, I don't think any comparison to IDS bears much scrutiny.
    I think a lot of comparison actually. IDS scraped into the final round of MPs by 1 vote, Corbyn was 'lent' some nominations to get on the ballot. IDS succeeded PPE politics geek Hague after a heavy general election defeat promising to run an even more anti EU, populist campaign and beat the favoured candidates the more moderate former Cabinet Ministers Clarke and Portillo. Corbyn succeeded PPE politics geek Ed Miliband after a heavy general election defeat promising to run an even more anti austerity, anti war populist campaign and beat the favoured candidates the more moderate former Cabinet Ministers Cooper and Burnham.

Both IDS and Corbyn failed to win a majority of MPs, however IDS won 60% of Tory members votes, Corbyn 59% of Labour members and supporters votes
    IDS didn't actually really scrape into the last round. He lent a load of votes to Clarke to try and get him into the top two ahead of Portillo (only they miscounted and the whole ruse came within a whisker of backfiring horribly!)
    Arguably, though in the first round of MPs in 2001 IDS came third with Portillo first and Clarke second, even in the final round Ken Clarke came top with MPs
  • Options
    ''Can the Prime Minister confirm he will never hand over the Falklands like the Leader of the Opposition who is too cowardly to appear at PMQs''

Can the Prime Minister even discuss British arrangements for the falklands given that the leader of the opposition is in league with our enemies on this matter...???

• Options

Suggestion If the LOTO declines to appear at PMQs..because he v cannot be arsed ..and the PM is in the HOC chamber ,then the six Labour questions should be distributed to the other senior Political Parties...See how long Labour BBs would run with that one

Good idea. SNP get Labour's six questions and Lib Dems (or whoever's next) get the SNP's two questions. I'm sure the SNP would love that.
  • Options
    PlatoSays said:
    I think Tory target seats may be more appropriate if Corbyn stays in charge
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

... it's also about having the communication skills, charm, and charisma of Blair 1994 - 2002. Kendall has none of these things.

In 1994 you were a babe in arms, in 2002 you were eight years old. How do you know?
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    When will the CEO of a large firm declare that they have put in place contingency arrangements to relocate in the event of a Corbyn government?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited September 2015
    alex. said:

Palestinian media reaction

BBC Monitoring
    Posted at 17:14
    In Gaza, the Hamas-run Al-Risalah website welcomed Jeremy Corbyn's win, saying he supports the Palestinian cause. "He is one of the most prominent British figures who voiced solidarity with the Palestinian cause and declared his rejection of the war on Gaza," the website said.

Have IS commented yet? So far we have had congratulations from the Argies, Gerry Adams, Syrizia and Hamas.

The Corbynistas remind me of the Judean Peoples Front:

https://youtu.be/NUHk2RSMCS8

BTW is it possible to order the table in terms of pb ranking. Not that I did particularly well, apart from the £300 for the Foxinsoxuk beer fund.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    HYUFD said:

PlatoSays said:
    List here if you want it:

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/2015guide/conservative-targets/

Could see the first ten going blue if Corbyn is Labour leader.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897

PMQs will be like 15 to 1 - Bercow asks Corbyn 'Question or Nominate?'

Or it will be more like 8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown.
    One of the TV highlights of the week. Take a normal straight show and replace most of the participants with comedians. Didn't it start as one of the comedy telethon spots?
  • Options
    Full Kirchner statement re Falklands:

The Government of Argentina extends its congratulations to the new leader of the Labour Party of the United Kingdom, Jeremy Corbyn.

This is also a triumph for those of us who represent the will to put politics at the service of the people, and the economy at the service of the welfare of all citizens. It is also a triumph for those who advocate for peace and the peaceful resolution of conflicts.

He has clearly spoken in favour of Argentina in the British Parliament regarding our struggle for human rights, against the usurious interests of vulture funds. In addition, he actively supports the call of the international community for dialogue between the United Kingdom and Argentina in the Malvinas Question.

Today is the triumph of hope.

http://www.cfkargentina.com/argentina-congratulates-jeremy-corbyn-on-his-labour-leadership-victory/
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "I was a long-standing member of the North Islington Labour party when he was selected in February 1982 and I still bear the scars. Corbyn’s victory was achieved as a result of a relentless campaign involving all strands of the ultra-left. Local working-class trade unionists were hounded out of the party and zero tolerance shown to anyone of a more moderate opinion. Following Corbyn’s victory, and the debacle of the 1983 general election, the remodeled North Islington Labour party took vicarious pleasure in supporting the miners’ strike. They were comfortable with the working class providing they could keep them at a distance.

No one ever looked forward to going to a meeting of the North Islington Labour party. There was a running fight between two hostile factions that frequently spilled over into aggression: on one occasion police were summoned to calm a situation that had arisen at the annual general meeting of the women’s section."

http://www.progressonline.org.uk/2015/09/10/the-emergence-of-jeremy-corbyn/
  • Options

So, there we have it. Labour leader, getting a pat on the head from Argentina.

Which support is more damaging? Sinn Fein, Argentina, or Hamas?
  • Options
    Isn't it customary to win a general election, before changing traditional HOC procedures?
  • Options
    alex. said:
    Is this a sign that he will only do two years - implementing lots of systems changes within the party e.g. conference, policy, 'democracy' etc etc and then walk?
  • Options

Argentina.
  • Options
    taffys said:

''Can the Prime Minister confirm he will never hand over the Falklands like the Leader of the Opposition who is too cowardly to appear at PMQs''

Can the Prime Minister even discuss British arrangements for the falklands given that the leader of the opposition is in league with our enemies on this matter...???

Oh to be a fly on the wall at Special Branch or MI5 as they work out what the hell they're supposed to do with JC now.
  • Options
    Mr. Llama, 'tis possible to read up on such things. [I wasn't personally present at the Battle of Ipsus, I must confess].
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

tyson said:

The thing is that Cameron is such an arrogant twot that he'd refuse to be questioned by anyone other than the LOTO. And Osborne- well he's another arrogant little preppy boy, so unless it was the Deputy he'd refuse too.

So we'd be left with the farcical situation of the opposing teams agreeing who matches up- a kind of pre questions Top Trumps where no party could top the other. I'm trying to think what would happen if Jez sent in Angela Eagle....it would show how little the Tories thought of the person they'd try to match up with her.

Pauly said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

alex. said:

I think I can recall hi think most of us would agree that it can often be that.

Oh no, Dave will face ning loony lefty nutbag cowardly Corbyn will send.

Dave's been doing PMQs for ten years, he's pretty good at it.
    If Corbyn had his way he'd probably abolish the office of PM, and replace it with a rotating Convenor of the Peoples' Commissariats...

He's already said he's not moving to Downing Street, if elected, hasn't he?
    Han Solo: "No time to discuss this in a committee!"
    Princess Leia: "I am NOT a committee!"
  • Options

... it's also about having the communication skills, charm, and charisma of Blair 1994 - 2002. Kendall has none of these things.

In 1994 you were a babe in arms, in 2002 you were eight years old. How do you know?
    I saw Blair speak to an audience of East Midlands activists in 96. He had real charisma then, and a clear vision. Pity he sold his soul to the devil, he had real potential.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

PlatoSays said:

Indeed, in 1983 Foot won 209 seats, Ed Miliband won 232 seats in 2015. That means the Tories could win at least 20 seats from Labour if Corbyn bombs. As well as retaking the seats Ed Miliband gained the likes of Bridgend, Walsall North, Wrexham were all Labour in 2010 and 2015 but Tory in 1983
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    The Tories have every reason to be afraid. I can't remember any leader of any party with the possible exception of Blair as looking 'NEW' and nothing is quite as desirable as something new.

I just heard his first speech and he was impressive. No cheap soundbites or easy swipes at the other parties. He came across as a serious politician with real social concerns. A complete contrast with the faintly ridiculous Ed and the even more preposterous Bullingdon Boys.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, I think that's probably right.
  • Options
    taffys said:

What chance a vote on this being tabled next week, after the votes on supporting Northern Ireland and on restricting the Unions..?
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    OK so JC, has decide he will not be doing PMQs on a regular basis, that's his chose. he has been voted in by his party and can lead them how he choses.

but I would like to know and I fell I have the right to ask: If he where to become PM would be care to grease the HoC with his presence then, and possible take a few questions that the might be put to him? or will he leave this to a somebody else?
  • Options

I saw Blair speak to an audience of East Midlands activists in 96. He had real charisma then, and a clear vision. Pity he sold his soul to the devil, he had real potential.
    "You were the future once!"
  • Options

Pauly said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

alex. said:

I'm not so sure. He's primarily been a champion of backbenchers so it would be consistent for him to pass JC's 6 Qs to backbenchers if he doesn't want to use them.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    That was 1980's Labour party politics for you. My own constituency party split in 1984 because we couldn't cope with each other.
    AndyJS said:

"I was a long-standing member of the North Islington Labour party when he was selected in February 1982 and I still bear the scars. Corbyn’s victory was achieved as a result of a relentless campaign involving all strands of the ultra-left. Local working-class trade unionists were hounded out of the party and zero tolerance shown to anyone of a more moderate opinion. Following Corbyn’s victory, and the debacle of the 1983 general election, the remodeled North Islington Labour party took vicarious pleasure in supporting the miners’ strike. They were comfortable with the working class providing they could keep them at a distance.

No one ever looked forward to going to a meeting of the North Islington Labour party. There was a running fight between two hostile factions that frequently spilled over into aggression: on one occasion police were summoned to calm a situation that had arisen at the annual general meeting of the women’s section."

• Options
    Sandpit said:

taffys said:

What chance a vote on this being tabled next week, after the votes on supporting Northern Ireland and on restricting the Unions..?
    Cameron is determined to win a vote - he wont table one until he is absolutely sure. SNP will vote against, so will a handful of Tories, so he needs to reach out and find some Lab votes.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    alex. said:
    Followed by TV interviews with Entertainment, and an at length article in Puzzler Monthly.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,008

Also, in regards to people saying Strugeon plays politics of course she does! But when Conservative Chancellor George Osborne does it, he is an amazing political genius and the politician of our times. Yet when Sturgeon does it, she's bad/mad/terrible?

Welcome to PB
  • Options
    Roger the man who supported EDM for five years..amazing stuff..
  • Options

Hamas by far. They are the ones actually going around killing people. I would say this should have disqualified Corbyn, but lots of people thought differently.
  • Options
    Drat!

Under another set of rules, I would have won.

Applies equally to Andy Burnham I guess.
  • Options

Roger the man who supported EDM for five years..amazing stuff..

All one has to do for Roger is shout "Free Palestine" and he'll come round to the view that they are the visionary leader the country needs.
  • Options
    The Argentinian president has welcomed Corbyn's election, saying he supports talks on the status of the Falkland Islands.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

taffys said:

What vote is coming up about "supporting Northern Ireland"?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

taffys said:

Cameron is determined to win a vote - he wont table one until he is absolutely sure. SNP will vote against, so will a handful of Tories, so he needs to reach out and find some Lab votes.
    One might imagine that more than a few Labour MPs are up for a rebellion in the next few weeks. By phrasing the motion as something like "This government will confront ISIL wherever they may be, using military force if necessary" and daring Labour to vote against it in the face of polling suggesting that only 11% of the public agree with the opposite position.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,974
    Sandpit said:

Miss Plato, there's also the fact that Cameron won't be able to land blows on Corbyn, because Corbyn won't be playing.

"Would my Right Horourable Friend like to comment on recent reports that the Leader of the Opposition, whom I notice once again has failed to take his seat, is a friend of ISIL and Hamas?"
    Some idiotic bilge being posted on here today by cretins who think they are intelligent.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    EPG said:

Sandpit said:

taffys said:

It was suggested on here earlier that an emergency debate on NI might not be what Mr Corbyn wants on his first day in the new job.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,819
    Any news on who's quit the shadow cabinet yet?
  • Options
    Tyson on the last thread kept going on about how refreshing it was that JC speaks clearly and honestly about his views.

This is only a benefit to him if his views are not reprehensible.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

PlatoSays said:

Indeed, in 1983 Foot won 209 seats, Ed Miliband won 232 seats in 2015. That means the Tories could win at least 20 seats from Labour if Corbyn bombs. As well as retaking the seats Ed Miliband gained the likes of Bridgend, Walsall North, Wrexham and Tooting were all Labour in 2010 and 2015 but Tory in 1983
    How many of those 209 seats were in Scotland?
    To be fair in assessing the scale of the mountain the tories need to climb to stay in office [ :-) ] Ed was useless as were Burnham Cooper and Kendall. Corbyn however is a cunning nutjob. I am sure the act of putting his socks on in the morning will inspire all his fellow nutjobs into paroxysms of fervour.
  • Options
    Roger said:

The Tories have every reason to be afraid. I can't remember any leader of any party with the possible exception of Blair as looking 'NEW' and nothing is quite as desirable as something new.

I just heard his first speech and he was impressive. No cheap soundbites or easy swipes at the other parties. He came across as a serious politician with real social concerns. A complete contrast with the faintly ridiculous Ed and the even more preposterous Bullingdon Boys.

Hahahahahahahahahahhaha!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Have just woken up on christmas morning!
  • Options
    Barrow and Copeland are probable Tory gains at the next election now.
  • Options
    Estobar said:

HYUFD said:

Jeremy Corbyn mentioned a lengthy recent conversation with Ed Miliband and praised his leadership of the Labour Party and the 'great Ralph Miliband'. In the same way as Tory members elected IDS in part in tribute to Hague and because they felt Portillo and Clarke were rejecting his leadership so it seems Labour members have elected Corbyn in part as tribute to Ed thus opposing the attempts of Liz Kendall and others to move away from his leadership

HUYFD, I don't think any comparison to IDS bears much scrutiny.
    He could never be as bad as IDS or Hague
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

PlatoSays said:

Indeed, in 1983 Foot won 209 seats, Ed Miliband won 232 seats in 2015. That means the Tories could win at least 20 seats from Labour if Corbyn bombs. As well as retaking the seats Ed Miliband gained the likes of Bridgend, Walsall North, Wrexham were all Labour in 2010 and 2015 but Tory in 1983
    In 1983 they also won 41 seats in Scotland out of 72 - a lead of 20 over the Conservatives. That's a redoubt that has gone. Bridgend, Wrexham, possibly Delyn all look pretty vulnerable to me anyway (although if Delyn becomes more marginal, it might make Chester and some of the Liverpool seats safer).

It is certainly not inconceivable that Labour could end up with below 190 seats with Corbyn as leader. It depends on where the vote is distributed. My guess would be it will be heavily concentrated in Liverpool, parts of London, the Durham/Tyneside area, West Yorkshire and the South Wales Valleys, with a fairly solid handful in Birmingham and Manchester as well. But I can't really see many other places that a left-wing Labour party will even hold its own, never mind advance. In 1983, they held just three seats south of the Wash/Bristol Channel line outside London (Bristol South, Thurrock and Ipswich - and they lost the last two in 1987) - any bets on them getting none at all south of Birmingham in 2020?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Wotcha, Doc, I also heard Blair speak at about that time and I agree he had charisma and projected a vision. In the same way that a confidence trickster does. I had him marked down as a snake oil salesman from then on. Future events only proved me correct so at least I was not left feeling disappointed at the slimy git's self-serving actions and lies. Many were, which possibly accounts for the over-reaction and that, maybe, has led to today's appointment.

Mind you, I think when Corbyn finds out what it means to play with the big boys his reputation as a fearless champion of the left might take a bit of a hammering to. It isn't difficult to imagine Corbyn whilst LOTO leading a demonstration against something outside parliament whilst the topic is actually being discussed inside. I wouldn't hesitate too long before I put a wager on Corbyn's main strategy being that of brave Sir Robin.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,755
    Roger said:

I also heard his first speech and nearly crashed the car lalughing.

As for NEW he's as new as tank tops and Gary Glitter. Labour will spend the next 5 years defending Jezza's previous 30.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Barrow and Copeland are probable Tory gains at the next election now.

Or maybe Lib Dem with Tim Farron next door.
  • Options

alex. said:
    Is this a sign that he will only do two years - implementing lots of systems changes within the party e.g. conference, policy, 'democracy' etc etc and then walk?
    Its a bit unusual for the LOTO, an aspiring PM to go in to hiding.

Isn't it customary to win a general election, before changing traditional HOC procedures?

The Speaker will still have to decide who asks questions at PMQs won't he just the same? If the LOTO does not want to ask questions then why should any other party leader be pushed out in favour of some numptey shadow cabinet crackpot?

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,337
    tyson said:

That was 1980's Labour party politics for you. My own constituency party split in 1984 because we couldn't cope with each other.

AndyJS said:

Very different now. Supporters of Liz Kendall got friendly cheers at the Islington N nomination meeting, with a couple of comments on the same lines as Jeremy's remarks today - "we don't agree with you but good on you for standing up for what you think".
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

The musings of a sad loser
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    I'm beginning to suspect that we could see something like

Con 40
    Lab 20
    UKIP 20
    LD 20

(Or, more like, 38, 18, 18, 18... or something...)

at the next election.

Essentially, I believe the Labour Party could lose the patriotic working class vote to UKIP, and the metropolitan europhiles to the LibDems, leaving them with the core union, and ethnic vote. (There is probably quite a large patriotic working class vote that UKIP could grab, but I'm not sure Farage is the man to get it, especially as it is likely to be quite Northern.)
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Rachael Krishna ‏@RachaelKrishna 1h1 hour ago
    Tony Blair sat at home, crying to the Spice Girls, wiping his tears with a copy of Loaded, thinking of 1997. #labourleadership
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108

Argentina is far the most damaging, the Falkland Conflict was a War of Aggression by the Argies, against a population who have absolutely no democratic desire for a change of sovereignty.

At least there are valid arguments for Irish Nationalism and Palestinian demands for human rights.

I thought things wouldnt really kick off till after the weekend but it seems that even Corbyn's "friends" are ready to stick the boot in. There is no way that Adams, McGuinness, Kirchner, et al would not know how their "endorsement" would come across.

Arguably they are attempting a subtle destabalisation campaign and Corbyn is the Useful Idiot.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

PlatoSays said:

In 1983 they also won 41 seats in Scotland out of 72 - a lead of 20 over the Conservatives. That's a redoubt that has gone. Bridgend, Wrexham, possibly Delyn all look pretty vulnerable to me anyway (although if Delyn becomes more marginal, it might make Chester and some of the Liverpool seats safer).

It is certainly not inconceivable that Labour could end up with below 190 seats with Corbyn as leader. It depends on where the vote is distributed. My guess would be it will be heavily concentrated in Liverpool, parts of London, the Durham/Tyneside area, West Yorkshire and the South Wales Valleys, with a fairly solid handful in Birmingham and Manchester as well. But I can't really see many other places that a left-wing Labour party will even hold its own, never mind advance. In 1983, they held just three seats south of the Wash/Bristol Channel line outside London (Bristol South, Thurrock and Ipswich - and they lost the last two in 1987) - any bets on them getting none at all south of Birmingham in 2020?
    I think Exeter will come under some pressure - Ben Bradshaw has had a tilt at the Deputy Leader job - and came last. He is very popular in his seat and attracts a large personal vote. It was rumoured he had tried to step down and not fight again in May; what chance him standing down in 2020? Quite high, I would say.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Roger said:

A particularly virulent virus might also be "NEW".

I feel your pain Roger but recognising your illness will be the first stage to recovery ....

• Options
    alex. said:
    So neither Cameron nor Corbyn will be prepared to be interviewed by Andrew Neil.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,755
    rcs1000 said:

Con 40
    Lab 20
    UKIP 20
    LD 20

at the next election.

Essentially, I believe the Labour Party could lose the patriotic working class vote to UKIP, and the metropolitan europhiles to the LibDems, leaving them with the core union, and ethnic vote. (There is probably quite a large patriotic working class vote that UKIP could grab, but I'm not sure Farage is the man to get it, especially as it is likely to be quite Northern.)

On the other hand the chance of a leave vote has just ticked up a bit.

• Options

Sandpit said:

taffys said:

There will be a genuine fear of deselection amongst the most likely Labour MPs to back the Tories against a three line whip. It may not be that easy (at least in the early stages) for Cameron to find Labour MPs to back his policies openly.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Tony Blair sat at home, crying to the Spice Girls, wiping his tears with a copy of Loaded, thinking of 1997. #labourleadership

Tears? Tone has won 3 elections, was PM and most successful Labour leader in history and is now worth £100 million, what does he care if Labour commit hari kiri?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Doubt it... He's sat at home counting his latest million,
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Roger said:

It's a view. To help me understand where you're coming from, what's your prediction record like?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Any news on who's quit the shadow cabinet yet?

Yes. 8. Kendel, Hunt, Cooper, Reeves, Chukka, Leslie and a couple of others.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

EPG said:

Sandpit said:

taffys said:

It was suggested on here earlier that an emergency debate on NI might not be what Mr Corbyn wants on his first day in the new job.
    But it's surely not going to be "TTH supports Northern Ireland"?
  • Options

Wotcha, Doc, I also heard Blair speak at about that time and I agree he had charisma and projected a vision. In the same way that a confidence trickster does. I had him marked down as a snake oil salesman from then on. Future events only proved me correct so at least I was not left feeling disappointed at the slimy git's self-serving actions and lies. Many were, which possibly accounts for the over-reaction and that, maybe, has led to today's appointment.

Mind you, I think when Corbyn finds out what it means to play with the big boys his reputation as a fearless champion of the left might take a bit of a hammering to. It isn't difficult to imagine Corbyn whilst LOTO leading a demonstration against something outside parliament whilst the topic is actually being discussed inside. I wouldn't hesitate too long before I put a wager on Corbyn's main strategy being that of brave Sir Robin.
    The most difficult confidence tricksters to deal with are those that believe their own lies. I think Blair was and remains one of those. Such liars are much more convincing and create false facts to sustain their lies, such as the infamous dodgy dossier.

The Chilcott debate is going to spit-roast Blair from both sides of the house when it is finally out.
  • Options
    Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 7m7 minutes ago

Big tent alert.
    Rosie Winterton has been re appointed shadow chief whip by @Corbyn4Leader, I can reveal.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    edited September 2015
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

PlatoSays said:

That means Foot only won 168 seats in England & Wales.

Super Ed won 231!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Does not sound like the Jeremy Corbyn that Mr Palmer claims to know.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 7m7 minutes ago

Big tent alert.
    Rosie Winterton has been re appointed shadow chief whip by @Corbyn4Leader, I can reveal.

Cushy number considering she won't actually be required to do anything! The one position where the incumbent never has to go in the media publicly backing any policy position either :)
  • Options
  • Options
    What we need are a few by-elections now to assess if Corbyn mania translates to the electorate in general.

Maybe a few Labour MPs will stand down to meet the need. :)
  • Options
    Dair said:

Argentina is far the most damaging, the Falkland Conflict was a War of Aggression by the Argies, against a population who have absolutely no democratic desire for a change of sovereignty.

At least there are valid arguments for Irish Nationalism and Palestinian demands for human rights.

Agree with the point re Argentinian aggression. However, not quite so sure about the second. I think, as I have said before, it is perfectly possible to be in favour of a fair deal for the Palestinians and to endorse a united Ireland without sharing a platform with Sinn Fein and Hamas and especially without referring to them as friends - I think in many ways that will be more damaging when their endorsements are compared with his earlier actions.

Put it this way. Argentina did something nasty and aggressive, that cost a great many soldiers' lives to achieve SFA. But soldiers risk their lives in a war. People, including soldiers, accept that, and while the losses are tragic especially for the families, that makes them easier to accept on a national emotional level. Hamas, and to a lesser extent Sinn Fein, deliberately target civilians. Whatever the rights and wrongs of their causes, there can be no excuse for (say) the blowing up of two completely harmless and innocent young children in Warrington. Or the bombing of bus queues.

It is this kind of thing that makes Corbyn so dangerous. He clearly does not have the capacity to think through the consequences of his actions, or to consider what he is doing on a logical, rather than purely visceral, level. He might make an excellent priest (although given his religious views it would have to be of the New Atheist Movement, under the Most Irreverent Archbishop Richard of Oxford) but he will make a lousy leader of a political party, because he is a lousy politician.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Anecdote alert, but my timeline is filled with people who generally don't care about politics thrilled with Corbyn. Admittedly most of them did vote Labour this year I think, though not with any enthusiasm.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    malcolmg said:
    Cameron has been labeled as an out of touch posh old Etonian for the past decade. Oh look, he just won a majority. People don't care.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001

rcs1000 said:

Con 40
    Lab 20
    UKIP 20
    LD 20

at the next election.

On the other hand the chance of a leave vote has just ticked up a bit.

I'm not sure Corbyn leading the charge is going to have that big a positive impact!

I think "events" will determine the result of the EU vote. Out will likely win if we see Grexit or Greek implosion, a worsening of the Syria refugee crisis, or Hunchman's up and coming Eurozone debt crisis mark 3. (The last of which I'm not a big believer in: there are many, many other places I see as much more vulnerable to a debt crisis than the Eurozone right now.)

Alternatively, if Syria is largely forgotten by next summer, and the Eurozone economies continue to climb out of their hole, and the UK is doing 3% GDP growth... then it'll likely be "In". Why rock the boat?

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Can anyone post a result breakdown of members; £3ers economic ?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Danny565 said:

Tears? Tone has won 3 elections, was PM and most successful Labour leader in history and is now worth £100 million, what does he care if Labour commit hari kiri?
    Tony Blair's last speech to conference:

"I don't want to be the Labour Leader who won 3 successive elections.
    I want to be the first Labour Leader to win 3 successive elections.

So: it's up to you.

You take my advice.

You don't take it.

Your choice.

Whatever you do, I'm always with you.

Head and heart.

You've given me all I have ever achieved, and all that we've achieved, together, for the country.

Next year I won't be making this speech.

But, in the years to come, wherever I am, whatever I do.

I'm with you.

Wishing you well.

Wanting you to win.

You're the future now.

Make the most of it."
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Sky News @ 6: "From loose cannon to Labour Leader..."
  • Options
    Rosie Winterton becomes Shadow Chief Whip in first appointment to Corbyn Shadow Cabinet
    https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/642741230225489923?lang=en-gb
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Dair is right. The Falklands stuff is venomous for Corbyn. Hideous optics. That was a just war defending British subjects against invading Fascists. And the soixante-retard wants to give the islands BACK

Not even back - just away.
  • Options
    SeanT.. slight correction.. the idiot wants to give them away.. not back...and fuck the residents,
  • Options
    malcolmg said:
    The problem is that being a posh boy is not really toxic, it's certainly not toxic outside of Labour's core vote.

On the other hand, while there is genuine public support for some Corbyn positions such as Palestine, Trident, even support for Irish Nationalism has some non-negligible support given the UKs open door to Irish immigrants for 100 years.

But stuff like giving the Falklands to the Argies is going to be utterly toxic, it is genuinely treasonous.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,050
    Nick- I can't help but think that Corbyn's election today is anything but good for British politics. So what, he wants to change PMQ's. I'm enjoying today's thread here immensely.

I love the fact that the Labour party is led by someone who really harboured no long term ambitions. Corbyn is really quite remarkable- he is debunking and tearing up all the known rules on British politics. I don't know where its all heading, but I'm enjoying the Corbyn ride, and I'm well and truly on his bus.

tyson said:

AndyJS said:

Very different now. Supporters of Liz Kendall got friendly cheers at the Islington N nomination meeting, with a couple of comments on the same lines as Jeremy's remarks today - "we don't agree with you but good on you for standing up for what you think".